THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 15:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 22-26 November 2010 (Thanksgiving Week/1800-1805/Aftermath of the Breakup)  (Read 144658 times)

flamingo

• Plantmonster

FadedLB

• Not quite a lurker
  • I'm on fiyah

Naah, what this really needs is some Svarten.   :-D

Marigold Dance would be good too!

Murphoid

• Plantmonster
    • My Facebook

Maybe a Marten / Marigold ship is down the road for us?   That would be really cool.  Marigold would be so relieved to get a boyfriend and one as awesome as Marten would just be cool.

Side note:  Why MartEn instead of MartIn?  I feel like I am typoing every time I type his name.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

graymouser

• Not quite a lurker

It's funny that a strip can both be a serious, character-building moment and lead inexorably to slashfic style discussion.   :psyduck:

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Psh, you think this is bad, you should have seen all the slashy jokes flying around the chat when Jeph broadcasted drawing this strip.

I didn't make any of them of course.  :angel:

*cough*   

:evil:
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?

Am I the only one who thought (for a millisecond) Sven was about to say "And if you need some meaningless rebound sex, I'm always here for ya"?

I didn't think it when I was reading it, but I did think of the amusing possibilities if Sven had truncated his sentence thusly:  "And if you need some meaningless rebound sex, I . . ."   :-o  It even lends new meaning to his raised finger, mwahaha.

It's funny that a strip can both be a serious, character-building moment and lead inexorably to slashfic style discussion.   :psyduck:

Funny and awesome.   :mrgreen:  Realistically awkward character interaction and absurd slash pairings are rife with humor -- and hey, Jeph already did a Dora/Faye slashpic on his Tumblr awhile back.

Loved Marten's expression of complete and utter disgust in the last panel.  The interaction between Sven and Marten is great for the whole strip: amicable, amicable, amicable, GODDAMNIT.   :-D  Nicelt done.  Looking forward to the turkeys.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Lord of Bays

• Not quite a lurker
  • Boob Terrorist

I wouldn't say disgusted so much as "GODDAMMIT I WANT TO LEAVE THIS IS AWKWARD AS FUCK."
Proud Co-Founder of the Breast Jihad

kittymao

• Not quite a lurker
  • snarf.

I would love to see Mari and Sven.

Marigold could benefit from a sexually savvy gentleman that hands out compliments like a hostess serving hors d'oeuvres ( yesh i googled teh spelling)
and since Sven is un-learning how to be a Man-Whore, Mari's sensitivities could teach him how to be a true gentleman without ulterior motives.

It could wind up being a very sweet relationship...

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster

Random thought: did someone remember to come pick up Mieville?   Does Mieville get along with Sven's cat?

What if Mieville decides he likes Marten and Faye's apartment better?

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.

Random thought: did someone remember to come pick up Mieville?   Does Mieville get along with Sven's cat?

What if Mieville decides he likes Marten and Faye's apartment better?
Then Marten doesn't have to worry about a lack of pussy now he broke up with his girlfriend. Does life get any better. I say no.

PaxCeciliaPwns

• Not quite a lurker

I'm surprised Sven and Marten are getting along well.
That fact combined with the last panel of http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1770 lead me to belief that they're going to be 'jamming' sometime in the near future .
;)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

When it comes to sluts, I guess it takes one to know one, eh Sven?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Eh?
No, the ratio's more like 1:100 or thereabouts. :P
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Olymander

• Larger than most fish

Anyway, yay for bringing back the funny. And for Sven. He's so shiny and handsome I may swoon. :psyduck:

Just be careful he doesn't go for the extra shiny.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

I'm interested to see what would happen if he did that "look" to Marty. Purely out of curiosity, of course.
- Alvin

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

In honor of Jeph's foray into xkcd:

Hey! My mom was a slutty chick who'll--.   Not cool.  Not funny.  Not a good comic.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'm interested to see what would happen if he did that "look" to Marty. Purely out of curiosity, of course.

He'd probably miss again, and hit...

Steve. 

Poor Cosette...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

All this talk about Sven and possible homosexual flings is very interesting.

And by "interesting" I mean HOT!
There is no save button when it comes to ladies!

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

He'd probably miss again, and hit...

Steve. 

Poor Cosette...

Poor Cosette? If she's anything like the other CoD girls she'd probably think it was awesome!
- Alvin

ducktape

• Plantmonster

Well, given http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1551 she has probably seen worse?

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Well, given http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1551 she has probably seen worse?

On a tangential note this lead me to surf a series of strips ahead and find the moving-in arc and re-learn that it was not as so many angry anti-Dora people claimed last week Dora's last-ditch effort to destroy Marten personally but a series of silly decisions and compromises made by three people (Marten and Dora trying to make their relationship work and Faye tryin to help out and save on rent). So that was kind of nice.

Anyway wooooo turkeys soon wooooooo
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom

Y'know what's really terrible about this timing?

Now it'll be too awkward for the gang to have Thanksgiving dinner at Dora's parents' house.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 20:45 by Tergon »
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

ducktape

• Plantmonster

Y'know what's really terrible about this timing?

Now it'll be too awkward for the gang to have Thanksgiving dinner[/u] at Dora's parents' house.

O noes, no awkward everyone-gets-high scenes.  :psyduck:

Tergon

Let's be fair, here.  Marten is not actually going to hook up with Jimbo.

Jimbo's just going to write a story where the author-avatar James gets into a relationship with his young friend Marven.

Silly turkeys.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Those turkeys would fit right in around here!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

I love those turkeys, a Marten/ Jimbo relationship would be odd.

Did anyone mention that one in the pages I didn't bother reading?

Plus I live behind a turkey factory, I could steal some turkeys and make them my own QC turkeys!
There is no save button when it comes to ladies!

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.

Let's be fair, here.  Marten is not actually going to hook up with Jimbo.

Jimbo's just going to write a story where the author-avatar James gets into a relationship with his young friend Marven.

Silly turkeys.

the best part of this fan-plotline would be the _look_ on Marten's face when he finishes reading, and looks up to see an expectant longing look on Jimbo's moustachio'ed face.

I think that was the point, really.   :P
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Now, to be fair, I'm not sure any of us actually came up with Jimbo.  Although... of all the male characters in the strip... which would you find most likely to high-five after gay sex?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Justin Alexander

• Not quite a lurker

Faye PERFECT for Marten? Not until Marten develops more of a spine, otherwise Faye will walk, nay STOMP, all over him.

Ya know, I've never actually seen anything to suggest that Marten actually is spineless, no matter how often people say it. In not one single fight with Dora, for example, did Marten ever back down in the face of Dora's outrageous paranoia.

He may be a little shy about initiating relationships with women, but that's not the same thing as beings spineless.

Tergon

the best part of this fan-plotline would be the _look_ on Marten's face when he finishes reading, and looks up to see an expectant longing look on Jimbo's moustachio'ed face.

Justin Alexander

• Not quite a lurker

I never said Dora's development got tossed. To be fair I didn't specify, but I only think that specific aspects of Marten and Faye's character have been junked when they were inconvenient for the current storyline Jeph wanted to write.

What aspects?

If you're talking about them denying being interested in each other, then that dates back a lot more than 150 strips. It dates back at least 800+ strips to the first time Marten was first confronted by Dora's paranoia (just after Faye slept with Sven for the first time).

Now I come to think about it, in addition to that Hannelore has been rewritten from the ground up, actually. It just isn't so egregious in her case because lets face it, that character was pretty much written into a corner before she started getting personality retcons. It happened a bit at a time, and was cunningly paired up with believable development so it didn't look like the massive change it was, though. I accept that, because exaggerating her development beyond the strictly believable turned her into a great addition to the cast.

Hannelore has certainly gone through a lot of shifts, but nothing which doesn't jive with my real life experiences with drug reactions. That may have been a retcon on Jeph's part, but not so one could tell without reading a Making Of expose.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Turkey Sandwiches!!!!!     :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Turkey Sandwiches!!!!!     :-D

With extra mayonnaise! 

oh GOD, if you know that reference I am SOOOOO sorry...

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

Very good, sir  :-D
- Alvin

Ferahgo the Assassin

• Plantmonster
    • http://ferahgo-the-assassin.deviantart.com/

My reaction to today's comic:

"I wish."

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish

MAMBO OTP FTW!  TAKE THAT YOU SHITCOCKS!  [/yellingbird]

*cough*  Um.  Yeah.

I made more than one joke about this pairing in the Dead!Thread, is all I mean to say.   :-D

Happy Tryptopalooza 2010, y'all.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster

More random prognostication...  Marten's mentioned in the past that his dream job would be to be a professional musician.  The one person in the music industry (though not a musician himself) in the strip is Sven.  Might Sven's invitation to come over and jam sometime eventually lead to an opportunity for Marten to try and make a career out of music?  Might Sven even decide to take his artistic integrity out of the gimp suit and form some sort of Sven Bianchi/Deathmole supergroup?

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

More random prognostication...  Marten's mentioned in the past that his dream job would be to be a professional musician.  The one person in the music industry (though not a musician himself) in the strip is Sven.  Might Sven's invitation to come over and jam sometime eventually lead to an opportunity for Marten to try and make a career out of music?  Might Sven even decide to take his artistic integrity out of the gimp suit and form some sort of Sven Bianchi/Deathmole supergroup?

I was thinking something along those lines as well. Part of Sven wanting to be a better person overall might be an interest in being involved in less commercialized music. Also, Sven plays guitar (even if he's not so good at identifying genuine classics) and that's what they need now that Natasha is out of the picture.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

akronnick

He also sings and writes lyrics, which is something that Deathmole has not had heretofore.

Whether the kind of music Deatmole plays will fit with Sven's lyrical style is another question, but maybe they'll split up the remaining 'artistic credibility' between the four of them and start playing something that's slightly more marketable, maybe they'll see some success, or you know, play some gigs or something.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Sven joining Deathmole is one of my favorite scenarios. It would sort of ruin QC, if it became a huge commercial success, but Sven might be able to carry it to local fame at least. IIRC guitar is Sven's instrument of choice? Well, if Amir is out as well, then there's no contest, but they would need to find someone to play the keyboard? I really hope that one of Dale's other jobs is a bar pianist. Add him to the mix, and with both Amir & Natasha out they could start with genre experiments. Rename the band?

Timing would be very good for Marten right now. I really don't see anyone staying at his current job for decades. If the band were a moderate success, it would let him enter the music business in some capacity.

Then we would also have Dale, Sven and Marten fighting for Hannelore's attention on tours. Sky would be the limit for shipping possibilities. :evil:

QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

akronnick

Ain't nuthin' wrong with three guitars and drums.

The Beatles were three guitars and drums (at least in the beginning)

And Sven's probably pretty versatile as far as musical instruments go. He could probably play bass in a pinch and maybe piano.

Maybe Marten too. What did Marten go to school for anyway? (I should really know this.)

The only question is are any of them left-handed? If so, he should play bass, for reals.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Thanks for the Beatles example. Thankful for not having to google for it :-D

Seems to me that Sven is left-handed?

I may be totally wrong, but isn't it so that when a right-handed person is playing, the fretboard points to the left? Basically because you are playing right-handed, so you press the strings to the fretboard with your left hand. At least that's the way I was told to do it, when I was ploinking a guitar.

QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Yes, right in the deep fryer, then onto the table next to the mashed potatoes.

What?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

akronnick

Seems to me that Sven is left-handed?

Ooh, good catch!

Marten=John
Sven=Paul
Amir=George
Hanners=Ringo!

What?

Not before they get stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken and wrapped with bacon!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Actually Sven strikes me more like the John type, while Marten is very Paul-ish ...

... why am I writing this ?
Carpe Diem

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Because you can - a little imagination is a good thing.

Besides one of them needs to learn the sax so they can take over for George Thorogood if the world's only four man trio decides to ever call it off.

What?

Not before they get stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken and wrapped with bacon!

I see your turducken and raise you the BACON EXPLOSION.

Defibrilators are now standing by.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Odal

• Larger than most fish

Oooh, Jimbo and Marten.  Marten will make his daddeh proud.

Like father, like son. :D

ducktape

• Plantmonster

Oooh, Jimbo and Marten.  Marten will make his daddeh proud.

Like father, like son. :D

More awkward moments! Especially at Henry's wedding. That will be interesting ...

Carl-E

• Awakened

No worse than the Amir sequence posited in here
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up