THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 22-26 November 2010 (Thanksgiving Week/1800-1805/Aftermath of the Breakup)  (Read 141888 times)

TheEvilDog

Also, Cosette didn't meet Steve thru the coffee shop, so the investor-wannabes are concerned.

Actually, in a weird convoluted way, CoD did play a part in Cosette and Steve hooking up.

Bloodyloon

• Not quite a lurker

I assert that the only possible reaction to panel 3 is this sound clip: http://chirb.it/sqc7ew

And if I could find any easier way of posting a sound clip, I would... le sigh.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

(I was wondering when that one thread was gonna get locked. Note to Jeph: don't come into the forums after drinking the Emergency Bourbon.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Actually, in a weird convoluted way, CoD did play a part in Cosette and Steve hooking up.
How so? Marten had already rejected her at the library, before she went to CoD.

And, he heard about the library job from Nat (who got fired from that job,) Ellen's roommate.

And he and Steve met Ellen at a restaurant.

As for them hooking up, that happened through Marten's intervention, Tai, and some dumb luck.

So, while she did show up at CoD, Cosette hooking up with Steve had nothing to do with that.

Napoleon_Blownapart

• Plantmonster

I'm starting to dislike the way Jeph's writing Marten's handling of the breakup drama. I see no character development here at all. If Marten actually loved Dora like he said he did, he should be losing his shit over this for at least a month. People in love react strongly to being suddenly abandoned. Only Dora's having a hard time and that's because of her "issues". The obnoxious emo "meh, whatever" attitude that Marten is so well known for needs to stop, because it makes him more of a bland, uninteresting and unnecessary character than ever.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I see your point, but it may be too early to judge. He could still be in shock. This may in fact what brings him out of manatee-on-codeine mode.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

AnAverageWriter

I'm starting to dislike the way Jeph's writing Marten's handling of the breakup drama. I see no character development here at all. If Marten actually loved Dora like he said he did, he should be losing his shit over this for at least a month.

Or maybe, just maybe, despite the fact that yes, breaking up hurts, he realized that what Dora said made sense. The comic had been showing us that Marten hadn't been happy in a really long time. Maturity is knowing that bad things sometimes have to happen, and that "losing one's shit" can be done in private. Remember, he did go in his room and lock the door- chances are that, if he is sobbing, it's not at his job at the library.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom

Yeah, pretty much what Cold and Writer said... Marten broke up with Dora about twelve hours ago.  He's spent the majority of that time locked alone in his room.

He looks like utter crap, if that helps.  And he could indeed be losing his shit.  But we haven't actually seen how he's coping with it, other than hints that he's not handling it very well at all.  Like I said before, and like others have said too, Marten might indeed be about to snap... but it hasn't even been a full day yet.  Let the breakup sink in.  And then, maybe, something can trigger him.  I'm guessing Marten will manage to control himself until something pushes him over the edge.  Then, though, you might wanna stand back.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Of course, even his KTHXBAI response to Sven was quite forceful for him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer

The obnoxious emo "meh, whatever" attitude that Marten is so well known for needs to stop, because it makes him more of a bland, uninteresting and unnecessary character than ever.

Marten's brow have been stuck in the 'furrowed' position since the break up (seriously, go check). He's definitely depressed over it, and he's never been one to show much emotion, so this seems about right.

I'll agree with you that it's disappointing Marten's character hasn't revealed much growth (as his reaction has all been within the realm of his usual behavior), but that's more of a personal expectation than anything else. It's still consistent as far as his writing goes.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.

friggin d'awww.

_d'awww_

Hanners is, as my crew uses the vernacular, a damn solid friend.

When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Napoleon_Blownapart

• Plantmonster

Or maybe, just maybe, despite the fact that yes, breaking up hurts, he realized that what Dora said made sense.

True but emotional pain usually cannot be let go so easily in the face of logic, no matter how much sense the situation makes.

But we haven't actually seen how he's coping with it, other than hints that he's not handling it very well at all.  Like I said before, and like others have said too, Marten might indeed be about to snap... but it hasn't even been a full day yet.  Let the breakup sink in.  And then, maybe, something can trigger him.  I'm guessing Marten will manage to control himself until something pushes him over the edge.  Then, though, you might wanna stand back.

This is pretty much what I want to see. An honest-to-god gut level expression from Marten about how he feels and what all this means to him. Maybe it's because Jeph likes to take his time advancing a plot, but so far I can't help but despise Marten's character for maintaining the same passivity and the "wherever the current takes me" attitude that he's well known for.

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.

True but emotional pain usually cannot be let go so easily in the face of logic, no matter how much sense the situation makes.

I think that's dependent on the person. Whilst Martens never shown a particular tendency to place logic before emotion, it hasn't been demonstrated that he can't either.

El_Flesh

• BANNED
  • Emoticontraindication

I've known people who simply have an attitude where they rationalize it and it works for them. They don't sob. They don't get in a funk. They are somewhat subdued, but they are basically fine and get on with their lives, making jokes just like Martin is making at work. If ANYONE in the series is cool and calm and will not fall to pieces over a breakup, it's Martin.  It's entirely in line with his character, and what he said; "...now I gotta go and do the same old stupid song and dance..." He really did have enough. He already HAD a GF that didn't work; he's probably done the sobbing thing once already. You'll find it gets old fast.

Now Faye should have gone apeshit ballistic and actually beaten on Sven, then snarkily hate him anytime she sees him.

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference

Now Faye should have gone apeshit ballistic and actually beaten on Sven, then snarkily hate him anytime she sees him.

Faye is kinda beating up on Sven in a sense. He's had no one since her, since they all look so flat. She's broken him. She should just flash him everytime she sees him; he'd stare for a bit, then break into tears.

"TAKE ME BAAAAAAAAAACK! *sobs*"
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

cornbreadly

Lurker compelled to post...

I think he is writing Marten well.

Marten is the comic.  I like the risks he is taking with the writing.

As readers, it is ok to fall out of love with the protagonist every once once in while.

El_Flesh

• BANNED
  • Emoticontraindication

He's just doing what he does, pretty much true to himself I would say.

Now Faye ensuring that she no longer has a thing for him? Well. I suppose so; I never could understand how women work with their emotion...

My wife kept saying we could never be together; we were just *special* friends for about 12 years before she changed her tune in a big way.
...of course, it took me going to the other side of the world for a few years for that to happen.

hmmm. Maybe Martin's gonna get fed up with his life, his job, his PC costing an arm and a leg in dwelling repairs, and basically LOSING Faye because he dated a whack job; so he becomes suicidal and fails his attempt. When Faye and Dora are both leaning over his hospital bed, FAYE realizes she cannot live without him and really wants a night of hot love to usher in their future together, including a mustache ride even though Martin can't grow one. Something else for him to be depressed over.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up