Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 15 Sep 2019, 17:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]   Go Down

Author Topic: We love our pets!  (Read 152509 times)

Corvid

• Not quite a lurker
  • NB|They/Them
    • tumblr
Re: We love our pets!
« Reply #1450 on: 26 Mar 2019, 22:13 »

My special girl Claudia! She's 12, totally deaf, has problems controlling her bladder and is literally the dumbest animal I've ever owned. We had to throw out a cat tree of hers a couple weeks ago because it was soaked in cat piss and the smell wouldn't come out and she's still looking for it. But she's a real sweetheart!! loves belly rubs and drools with happiness whenever you pet her. My roommates and I adopted her because she was the least adoptable cat at the shelter and we're a bunch of bleeding hearts  <3

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #1451 on: 27 Mar 2019, 03:08 »

Username Corvid? Queer flag? Unadoptable cat? You are my kind of person.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1452 on: 27 Mar 2019, 07:13 »

I don't think he appreciated me tucking him in

Corvid

• Not quite a lurker
  • NB|They/Them
    • tumblr
« Reply #1453 on: 08 Apr 2019, 19:55 »

I hope y'all don't mind another Claudia pic! She was sleeping in a very cute way this afternoon
(it's worth mentioning that her headpressing isn't medically dangerous, we've had it checked out and that's just how she likes to sleep)

MarigoldSkye

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1454 on: 17 Apr 2019, 18:45 »

Here is my Good Boy:

His name is Gus.  Adopted from a shelter about 5 years ago now.  He loves belly rubs, Milk Bones, and walkies.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1455 on: 18 Apr 2019, 10:12 »

Hi Gus!
Dogs are fuzzy. :wow:
~They/Their/Them~

dutchrvl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #1456 on: 22 Apr 2019, 09:36 »

Claudia is adorable, and I love the faceplant  :mrgreen:
See my 14-year old Tommy
And my sweet, funny, and veritable purr-machine Sophie turned 13 yesterday!

Morituri

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1457 on: 02 Aug 2019, 19:25 »

Today I went to a Petco (US chain store, sells pet-related products) to get our two cats some flea drops and some catfood.

As happens, I guess, about three days out of seven, they had animals from the local animal-rescue shelter penned next to the check-out line where customers can hopefully fall in love with them and give them homes. 

But today, the adorable kittens were frolicking in a pen with an equally adorable sign above it: 

"Fresh, locally-grown, Organic Kittens."

I had a chuckle and asked the bloke behind the counter about it, and he says it definitely makes a difference in that more of the kittens find homes when the sign is up.

Hey, if it works.... 

Morituri

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1458 on: 09 Aug 2019, 13:29 »

The same guy tipped me to a thing I'd not have guessed exists.

A food additive adored by health food enthusiasts and reputed to treat a number of ills when ingested orally....
https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY/ref=sr_1_5

is also a pesticide suitable for home insect control and (if you are careful to get the food grade stuff) safe for direct application to your pets as a flea powder.
https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Products-121-037321001218-Diatomaceous/dp/B00PWX6H8O/ref=sr_1_21

Yes, those are literally the same product.  99+% pure diatomaceous earth with no additives, fillers or diluents.  Uh, since that's actually silicon dioxide, I really have no idea what the 'Organic' claim in the first product description means.  That's not 'organic' in ANY interpretation of the word I understand.

Apparently this is also sold in a "pool grade" or "filter grade" purity for some other applications, and those should NOT be used for either of the above two applications because it contains impurities (which can be poisons) or bits that might not be finely enough powdered - which could possibly act like tiny bits of fiberglass if inhaled.  Food grade product is free of both.

I had known about diatomaceous earth for pest control for some time, but hadn't appreciated how COMPLETELY harmless the food grade variety really is to us mammals.

This is just silicon dioxide - which is to say, a type of powdered rock one hundred percent inert with respect to our digestive enzymes and body chemistry.  I have no idea what benefits the foodies think they're getting out of this, they might as well be swallowing a marble.  This stuff is safer than garden dirt.

Except to chitinous insects.  The powdered bits are sharp and just a bit harder than an insect's shell.  Once a bug gets some of this powder on its shell,  whenever it moves the stuff abrades the shell - until it wears thin enough for water to evaporate through and the bug dehydrates.  Kills 'em dead in an average of 3 hours.  It's not a 'poison' as we understand the term, because its action is purely mechanical.

But we mammals can eat it by the spoonful if we want.   It's hydrophilic, and with water sticking to it the sharp abrasive bits aren't exposed.  Because our digestive system isn't bone-dry, it gets wet and that makes it inert.  It can't do anything to us.  Well, except make us excrete water so we have to drink a bit more. 
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2019, 13:40 by Morituri »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]   Go Up