THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 20:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30   Go Down

Author Topic: We love our pets!  (Read 317957 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
Re: We love our pets!
« Reply #1400 on: 14 Sep 2018, 05:37 »

Oh I love it too, until I start losing blood.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1401 on: 15 Sep 2018, 07:24 »

Understandable.

...For me it depends on how you define 'losing blood'...
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1402 on: 06 Oct 2018, 12:41 »

Four years with my doggo! She's chilled out so much since we first got her. Used to be so anxious about everything but she's always been friendly and it's nice seeing her able to relax and have fun easier.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1403 on: 27 Oct 2018, 21:48 »

One year old. Happy birthday, Waffle.

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1404 on: 28 Oct 2018, 09:04 »

One year old. Happy birthday, Waffle.

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1405 on: 30 Oct 2018, 08:52 »

Have some more cats!

12 yr-old Sophie and 13-yr old Tommy.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2018, 08:57 by dutchrvl »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1406 on: 30 Oct 2018, 09:04 »

I'm convinced that I'm going to end up a crazy cat person.  A few of my friends are already there.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1407 on: 30 Oct 2018, 09:06 »

I'm already there. And my children love me. And love to suffocate me in my sleep.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1408 on: 30 Oct 2018, 16:02 »

My partner and I have plans upon retirement to move out of the city and become crazy cat people. 13/10 level crazy. Lots of good cats.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1409 on: 30 Oct 2018, 18:19 »

Lovely cats, can't have too many.

Although I personally go for many dogs and guinea pigs. I'm so envious of the massive guinea pig runs I see with like ten piggies. 

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1410 on: 31 Oct 2018, 05:53 »

I'm already there. And my children love me. And love to suffocate me in my sleep.

You either have very small pillows or very big cats ...  :-D

obvs
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

dutchrvl

« Reply #1411 on: 31 Oct 2018, 09:30 »

I'm allergic to cats, so unfortunately for me there actually is such a thing as too many cats :(
That said, I very happily suffer the occasional respiratory issues, they more than make up for it. I just vacuum more often than I'd otherwise do  :-D

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1412 on: 31 Oct 2018, 09:40 »

My cats are gigantic. They're all over 16 lbs each, and Kitten, the black and white one, is 19 lbs. Monster cats!

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1413 on: 31 Oct 2018, 12:59 »

My cats are gigantic. They're all over 16 lbs each, and Kitten, the black and white one, is 19 lbs. Monster cats!

"There's no such thing as too much kitteh!"

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1414 on: 31 Oct 2018, 14:59 »

Indeed, the correct number of cats to own is n + 1, where n is the number of cats currently owned.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1415 on: 31 Oct 2018, 15:30 »

Don't be silly.  Nobody owns a cat.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1416 on: 31 Oct 2018, 15:37 »

Shhhhh! If the kitties find out that I'm aware of the truth, they will eat me in my sleep.

YESSIREE, N + 1 IS A FINE NUMBER OF CATS TO OWN.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1417 on: 01 Nov 2018, 07:52 »

I was expecting a small cat when I got Kitten (her real name is Elinore but she's the baby so she will forever be Kitten) as a 5 week old bebe, and she turned into an OH LAWD SHE COMIN kinda cat. Maybe if I keep getting cats, one will turn out to be small.

The guy I'm seeing has a tiny 5 lb Siberian kitty. I can pick her up with one hand! It's amazing!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1418 on: 01 Nov 2018, 18:34 »

I just happened to glance outside and noticed a developing encounter between our cats and a young blue tongue lizard. Feeling very relieved that I did. The cats have been sequestered before they had a chance to overcome their initial nervousness. In the meantime, the lizard is hiding in a hole in the garden's stone retaining wall. I hope it doesn't decide to make a permanent home there. I mean, I love blue tongue lizards, but it wouldn't end well.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1419 on: 01 Nov 2018, 23:49 »

What are you talking about?  It would end well, and very quickly!  Cats ADORE little garden lizards!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1420 on: 02 Nov 2018, 00:38 »

Actually, our cats' encounters with little lizards don't end quickly at all. The cats love to bring them in, drop them on the floor, and then meow loudly so that they can brag to me of their conquest. The lizards are usually still alive at this point.

Bluetongue lizards are not little, though.

Morituri

« Reply #1421 on: 02 Nov 2018, 09:55 »

Ah.  The lizards we call "Garden Lizards" here are more mouse-sized.  Their interaction with cats is sort of comical, because they are quick but very, very stupid. 

I should go look up what their proper nomenclature is....

Pretty sure it's either the  "Forest Alligator Lizard - Elgaria multicarinata multicarinata"

or maybe the "San Francisco Alligator Lizard - Elgaria coerulea coerulea"

Which, despite having different family names, seem to be very closely related species.  How did that happen?  I have also seen the "Coronado Skink - Plestiodon skiltonianus interparietalis"  around here, although it is less common.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1422 on: 02 Nov 2018, 10:07 »

Richie the guinea pig has a mild chest infection. Got some antibiotics to give him.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1423 on: 02 Nov 2018, 19:59 »

Poor baby, I hope that clears it up soon!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1424 on: 03 Nov 2018, 06:52 »

Thanks. The first dose went in pretty well. It's a little syringe dropper and I mixed it with a little grape juice, which seemed to mask the medicine taste enough for him.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1425 on: 03 Nov 2018, 09:08 »

I have to make a special soup for my ferret so I can give her the four medications she needs right now. It's awesome that you can just use grape juice!

For my cat, I just had to hold him down and shoot the medicine in his mouth. And hope he didn't spit it out.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1426 on: 03 Nov 2018, 18:20 »

To clarify by grape juice, I mean the few drops from five crushed grapes.  :psyduck: Still a lot less than making soup or the hold and shoot though.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1427 on: 13 Nov 2018, 09:50 »

My cat definitely has a tumor between his eyes. And it's going to be expensive to get it diagnosed, and then who knows about treating it. My poor baby.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1428 on: 14 Nov 2018, 01:16 »

My cat definitely has a tumor between his eyes. And it's going to be expensive to get it diagnosed, and then who knows about treating it. My poor baby.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1429 on: 19 Dec 2018, 16:23 »

Richie the guinea pig just died. He was six but it was sudden and it was the first time I was there for a pet when it actually happened. I was able to hold him and be there for him.

« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2022, 13:42 by Welu »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1430 on: 20 Dec 2018, 00:28 »

Richie the guinea pig just died. He was six but it was sudden and it was the first time I was there for a pet when it actually happened. I was able to hold him and be there for him.

Awhh... bugger...  :cry:

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1431 on: 20 Dec 2018, 00:44 »

nekowafer, give your cat a hug from me. And Welu, please accept another, with your permission.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1432 on: 20 Dec 2018, 10:28 »

Thanks. It's been a sad and weird day, going to do all the things out of habit for him and remembering.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Case

• comeback tour!

Morituri

« Reply #1435 on: 27 Feb 2019, 12:09 »

I saw that bit about the rat. 

And I couldn't help thinking how the rat would have fared in various American cities.

San Francisco:  Animal Rescue comes and frees the rat, but then nobody will allow them to release it anywhere near their homes and they are forced to take it a hundred miles north to set it loose in a forest it has no idea how to survive in.

Kansas City:  some kids poke it with a stick.  Eventually an adult notices what they're doing and tells them to go wash their hands.

Chicago:  The first person who notices it stomps on its head and keeps walking.

New York:  The first person who notices it doesn't want to mess up her shoe, so she pays some street kid to stomp on its head instead.

Boston:  Someone driving past in a car notices it, stops, rummages in the trunk, and comes back wearing a grin and carrying a #3 golf club.

Houston:  (summer)  Somebody cracks an egg on the manhole cover, then makes a youtube video of the egg frying while the rat struggles.
Houston:  (January)  The manhole cover is underwater anyway.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1436 on: 27 Feb 2019, 15:23 »

Make no mistake: We have no dearth of sick bastards who set cats on fire for ze lulz, either.

What we do have is a rather old animal welfare tradition and a federal criminal code that declares cruelty to animals a felony, punishable by up to three years imprisonment.

The guys in the video are from a volunteer fire brigade who worked pro-bono, and the 'Berufstierrettung Rhein-Neckar' - apparently Germany’s first professional animal rescue service. Didn't know we had those ...

But the same country that clucks & D'Awwws over the rescue of the 'Moppelratte' (chubbyrat) will feel zero qualms about dumping poison into the sewers it calls home.

We're weird like that.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2019, 19:10 by Case »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1437 on: 27 Feb 2019, 20:55 »

Yep, the description of Chicago sounds about right.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1438 on: 28 Feb 2019, 00:38 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Corvid

• Not quite a lurker
  • NB|They/Them
    • tumblr
« Reply #1439 on: 26 Mar 2019, 22:13 »

My special girl Claudia! She's 12, totally deaf, has problems controlling her bladder and is literally the dumbest animal I've ever owned. We had to throw out a cat tree of hers a couple weeks ago because it was soaked in cat piss and the smell wouldn't come out and she's still looking for it. But she's a real sweetheart!! loves belly rubs and drools with happiness whenever you pet her. My roommates and I adopted her because she was the least adoptable cat at the shelter and we're a bunch of bleeding hearts  <3

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1440 on: 27 Mar 2019, 03:08 »

Username Corvid? Queer flag? Unadoptable cat? You are my kind of person.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1441 on: 27 Mar 2019, 07:13 »

I don't think he appreciated me tucking him in

Corvid

• Not quite a lurker
  • NB|They/Them
    • tumblr
« Reply #1442 on: 08 Apr 2019, 19:55 »

I hope y'all don't mind another Claudia pic! She was sleeping in a very cute way this afternoon
(it's worth mentioning that her headpressing isn't medically dangerous, we've had it checked out and that's just how she likes to sleep)

MarigoldSkye

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1443 on: 17 Apr 2019, 18:45 »

Here is my Good Boy:

His name is Gus.  Adopted from a shelter about 5 years ago now.  He loves belly rubs, Milk Bones, and walkies.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1444 on: 18 Apr 2019, 10:12 »

Hi Gus!

dutchrvl

« Reply #1445 on: 22 Apr 2019, 09:36 »

Claudia is adorable, and I love the faceplant  :mrgreen:
See my 14-year old Tommy
And my sweet, funny, and veritable purr-machine Sophie turned 13 yesterday!

Morituri

« Reply #1446 on: 02 Aug 2019, 19:25 »

Today I went to a Petco (US chain store, sells pet-related products) to get our two cats some flea drops and some catfood.

As happens, I guess, about three days out of seven, they had animals from the local animal-rescue shelter penned next to the check-out line where customers can hopefully fall in love with them and give them homes. 

But today, the adorable kittens were frolicking in a pen with an equally adorable sign above it: 

"Fresh, locally-grown, Organic Kittens."

I had a chuckle and asked the bloke behind the counter about it, and he says it definitely makes a difference in that more of the kittens find homes when the sign is up.

Hey, if it works.... 

Morituri

« Reply #1447 on: 09 Aug 2019, 13:29 »

The same guy tipped me to a thing I'd not have guessed exists.

A food additive adored by health food enthusiasts and reputed to treat a number of ills when ingested orally....
https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY/ref=sr_1_5

is also a pesticide suitable for home insect control and (if you are careful to get the food grade stuff) safe for direct application to your pets as a flea powder.
https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Products-121-037321001218-Diatomaceous/dp/B00PWX6H8O/ref=sr_1_21

Yes, those are literally the same product.  99+% pure diatomaceous earth with no additives, fillers or diluents.  Uh, since that's actually silicon dioxide, I really have no idea what the 'Organic' claim in the first product description means.  That's not 'organic' in ANY interpretation of the word I understand.

Apparently this is also sold in a "pool grade" or "filter grade" purity for some other applications, and those should NOT be used for either of the above two applications because it contains impurities (which can be poisons) or bits that might not be finely enough powdered - which could possibly act like tiny bits of fiberglass if inhaled.  Food grade product is free of both.

I had known about diatomaceous earth for pest control for some time, but hadn't appreciated how COMPLETELY harmless the food grade variety really is to us mammals.

This is just silicon dioxide - which is to say, a type of powdered rock one hundred percent inert with respect to our digestive enzymes and body chemistry.  I have no idea what benefits the foodies think they're getting out of this, they might as well be swallowing a marble.  This stuff is safer than garden dirt.

Except to chitinous insects.  The powdered bits are sharp and just a bit harder than an insect's shell.  Once a bug gets some of this powder on its shell,  whenever it moves the stuff abrades the shell - until it wears thin enough for water to evaporate through and the bug dehydrates.  Kills 'em dead in an average of 3 hours.  It's not a 'poison' as we understand the term, because its action is purely mechanical.

But we mammals can eat it by the spoonful if we want.   It's hydrophilic, and with water sticking to it the sharp abrasive bits aren't exposed.  Because our digestive system isn't bone-dry, it gets wet and that makes it inert.  It can't do anything to us.  Well, except make us excrete water so we have to drink a bit more. 
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2019, 13:40 by Morituri »

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1448 on: 09 Jan 2020, 14:34 »

The family dog is going in for surgery next week to remove three tumours and also get spayed because otherwise they'll grow back. It's riskier than normal because she has a couple conditions but the main one is with her oesophagus so there's an increased chance of vomit and regurgitation. If that happens she could get pneumonia and that could be very bad for her.

I'm hopeful but terrified.Trying to be optimistic but I'm the one who's pushed for her to go the vet to get the growths looked at then I'm the one that pushed for the surgery and if she does die I'm terrified my mum will never forgive me. I know it needs done because there's other bigger risks if nothing is done but still gonna be very scared until we get her back.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1449 on: 09 Jan 2020, 14:58 »

All best wishes, Welu. It's tough, but I believe you're doing the right thing. Don't let go of that.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30   Go Up