THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who's next on the "Reaction to the Breakup" list?

Marigold
- 20 (10.1%)
Angus (CHECK - Couldn't believe it)
- 7 (3.5%)
Tai (CHECK - Emo Marten)
- 76 (38.2%)
Raven
- 4 (2%)
Steve
- 31 (15.6%)
Cosette
- 2 (1%)
Jimbo
- 9 (4.5%)
Ms. Vance (CHECK! She's on the next plane out!)
- 18 (9%)
Mr. Reed
- 2 (1%)
The Bianchis
- 2 (1%)
Penelope
- 13 (6.5%)
Dale (Daaaaangg.)
- 15 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 29 Nov-3 Dec (1806-1810)  (Read 111254 times)

warningfromspace

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Re: WCDT 29 Nov-3 Dec (1806-1810)
« Reply #150 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:44 »

Marten has been looking pretty rough since the break but that worry had did the trick. He looks much better with it. Also I'm very glad Hanners was able to cheer him up, this might be the start of something good :wink: :wink:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #151 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:56 »

See the background in panels 4 and 5? isn't a recurrent place jeph likes to use? i think i remember that's were marten's dad had propoused to his boyfriend, but i really can't find the comic....

Well spotted; and outside matches, too.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 06:00 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #152 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:26 »

Relationships with nautical metaphors! It's like he's trying to set up the eventual sex scene set to The Decemberists.

Wait - Mariner's revenge?  Good tune, and an accelerating beat, with a climactic whale attack, but those lyrics...

Find him,
bind him,
tie him to a pole
and smash his fingers
to splinters
drag him to a hole
until he wakes up,
screaming,
clawing at the ceiling of his grave!

That's serious  hate-fuck music, right there. 

Course, this is Faye we're talking about.  Those aggressive tendencies need to be channeled somewhere...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #153 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:27 »

Faye should have said "Sven and I were a speedboat that caught fire and exploded." That's the correct grammar, right?

I was trying not to point out her grammatical error earlier but it's been driving me crazy. English major and all that. Sorry!
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #154 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:37 »

Faye should have said "Sven and I were a speedboat that caught fire and exploded." That's the correct grammar, right?

I was trying not to point out her grammatical error earlier but it's been driving me crazy. English major and all that. Sorry!
I spoted that too, but isn't she refering to the boat? Is it wrong like that?

Course, this is Faye we're talking about.  Those aggressive tendencies need to be channeled somewhere...
Oh god, i won't we surprised if Angus gets a lot of broken bones after they get it on!
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #155 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:49 »

Or more likely Tai will make some off the cuff statement or a clumsy pass at Dora in front of Marten

I really don't think something like that will happen, although i'd certanly think like that if i haven't read this: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1792

She is fond to joke around, but she is really mature, more than she seems to be.

It probably has something to do with BAC, I'm thinking... What was that line Penny said about her former college roommates?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #156 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:12 »

Relationships with nautical metaphors! It's like he's trying to set up the eventual sex scene set to The Decemberists.

Wait - Mariner's revenge?  Good tune, and an accelerating beat, with a climactic whale attack, but those lyrics...

Find him,
bind him,
tie him to a pole
and smash his fingers
to splinters
drag him to a hole
until he wakes up,
screaming,
clawing at the ceiling of his grave!

That's serious  hate-fuck music, right there. 

Considering that a lot of their music has to do with sea shanty type stuff, it doesn't have to be Mariner's Revenge. They've got others.

Or maybe the Rogue's Gallery compilation.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #157 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:16 »

Who's next on the "Reaction to the Breakup" list?

Marigold    - 5 (4%)
Angus    - 7 (5.6%) <check>
Tai (watch out!)    - 67 (53.2%)
Raven    - 3 (2.4%)
Steve    - 11 (8.7%)
Cosette    - 1 (0.8%)
Jimbo    - 4 (3.2%)
Ms. Vance    - 9 (7.1%)
Mr. Reed    - 0 (0%)
The Bianchis    - 2 (1.6%)
Penelope    - 8 (6.3%)
Dale (Daaaaangg.)    - 9 (7.1%)

Total Voters: 126

---

We'll just keep this up through the week to see who all gets "talked to" about the breakup.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #158 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:19 »

I like that Jeph has systematically difused all the people who were freaking out, "FAYE IS GONNA DUMP ANGUS AND SLEEP WITH MARTEN" and "OMG HANNERS AND MARTEN 4EVA".

That grammer issue is bothering me though. Was a speedboat? Were a speedboat? Why don't I know which way is correct? I don't care if Jeph made an error or not so much as I want to know for my own personal edification how the sentence "should" be structured. Are there any english majors here that clarify?

*edited to correct my atrocious spelling of the word difused. Now I'm wondering if I spelled atrocious right. Damn it!
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 07:22 by innermoppet »
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

Araethuiel

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #159 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:25 »

I like that Jeph has systematically difused all the people who were freaking out, "FAYE IS GONNA DUMP ANGUS AND SLEEP WITH MARTEN" and "OMG HANNERS AND MARTEN 4EVA".

That grammer issue is bothering me though. Was a speedboat? Were a speedboat? Why don't I know which way is correct? I don't care if Jeph made an error or not so much as I want to know for my own personal edification how the sentence "should" be structured. Are there any english majors here that clarify?

*edited to correct my atrocious spelling of the word difused. Now I'm wondering if I spelled atrocious right. Damn it!

It should be "were a speedboat"
You don't get engaged to someone with a masters-degree in English without picking up things like this :P

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #160 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:48 »

Considering that a lot of their music has to do with sea shanty type stuff, it doesn't have to be Mariner's Revenge. They've got others.

If your significant other ever puts on Mariner's Revenge as a prelude to being intimate, that is probably a Bad Sign.

I would hope Faye went for "Yankee Bayonet" just for the humor value. Angus'd appreciate it, I'm sure.

( :psyduck: now I've gone and done it. please, please, please no innuendo about 'Yankee bayonets hur hur' I still feel bad for being the originator of That )
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 08:04 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #161 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:54 »

I'd like to add that the general abrasiveness of your previous posts really set the tone.  
Abrasiveness is what it's called when you don't agree with someone. As for why I announced my departure... well honestly I wanted to voice my displeasure with the direction of the comic. I've done so previously, and today's comic could be taken almost as an answer to all the questions I've posed. I don't imagine it was intended as such, since I am no egotist. I just recognise an authorial statement of intent when I see one.

For what it's worth, Soluzar:  Sorry to hear that QC has lost a fan in you.  If it's no longer to your taste, that's fine.  As stories change, people lose interest.  Speaking for myself, you're one of the folks who I enjoyed a bit of discussion with when we disagreed, and although we didn't see eye-to-eye on some topics, I do wish you well if you're leaving.  In the words of Master Alchemist Lysander, "I'm sorry things didn't turn out as you had hoped. Go, and remember us fondly. You know, you bothered me far less than most."  ;)
I would expect such conduct from the proud wielder of the original dickbroom, sir. It was an honour to disagree with such as you, and I genuinely can't understand why others have such an odd response to me. I made my initial post in this thread not in the mistaken belief that my disinterest in future QC is a matter of importance to others, but simply becuase I wonder if anyone else shares my views, even to a limited extent. I assumed it would be obvious why the current comic prompted me to write what I did, and honestly I find it slighly shocking that I'm apparently the only one who still thinks that when the comic was at its best when it was about Marten and Faye.

If Marigold manages to end up in a (preferably loving, but...) relationship with someone, that is pretty much the only foreseeable future development I could regret missing out on. I can take or leave the other plotlines which are either ongoing or in prospect.  Hannelore is of course always adorable, but she reached her pinnacle of loveliness in the recent story arc and I'm leaving her personal story behind on a relative high.

For those who find posts undesirable, I give you my word that you will find them in no future topics, although I reserve the right to reply in this one as I please.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 08:10 by Soluzar »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #162 on: 30 Nov 2010, 08:01 »

That grammer issue is bothering me though. Was a speedboat? Were a speedboat?

Was  is correct; the antecedent is not each of Sven and Faye (which would require were ), but the (singular) combination of the two of them.  Of course, the next bit should then be "You and me is " to match.  On the whole I would argue that the variation between the two forms is acceptable as Fowler's "elegant variation", and the whole is idiomatically fine.

my atrocious spelling of the word difused.

Defused (removed the fuse); diffuse (vague, fuzzy).
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 08:07 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #163 on: 30 Nov 2010, 08:27 »

Was  is correct; the antecedent is not each of Sven and Faye (which would require were ), but the (singular) combination of the two of them.  Of course, the next bit should then be "You and me is " to match.  On the whole I would argue that the variation between the two forms is acceptable as Fowler's "elegant variation", and the whole is idiomatically fine.

...in a display of complete linguistic pedantry on my part, this also sparked me to wonder whether "Me and Sven was" would not also be Faye's general use of the form, due to her Southern origins and the fact that she does seem to have Southern American English dialect artifacts from time to time. Not as often as one'd think, but...

...of course then I remember that I am analyzing the linguistics of a comic character :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 08:58 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #164 on: 30 Nov 2010, 08:42 »

Also, diffused (spread thinly).  

One defuses a bomb.  When one fails at that task, one is diffused.  

I'd like to add that the general abrasiveness of your previous posts really set the tone.  
Abrasiveness is what it's called when you don't agree with someone. As for why I announced my departure... well honestly I wanted to voice my displeasure with the direction of the comic. I've done so previously, and today's comic could be taken almost as an answer to all the questions I've posed. I don't imagine it was intended as such, since I am no egotist. I just recognise an authorial statement of intent when I see one.

For what it's worth, Soluzar:  Sorry to hear that QC has lost a fan in you.  If it's no longer to your taste, that's fine.  As stories change, people lose interest.  Speaking for myself, you're one of the folks who I enjoyed a bit of discussion with when we disagreed, and although we didn't see eye-to-eye on some topics, I do wish you well if you're leaving.  In the words of Master Alchemist Lysander, "I'm sorry things didn't turn out as you had hoped. Go, and remember us fondly. You know, you bothered me far less than most."  ;)
I would expect such conduct from the proud wielder of the original dickbroom, sir. It was an honour to disagree with such as you, and I genuinely can't understand why others have such an odd response to me. I made my initial post in this thread not in the mistaken belief that my disinterest in future QC is a matter of importance to others, but simply becuase I wonder if anyone else shares my views, even to a limited extent. I assumed it would be obvious why the current comic prompted me to write what I did, and honestly I find it slighly shocking that I'm apparently the only one who still thinks that when the comic was at its best when it was about Marten and Faye.

If Marigold manages to end up in a (preferably loving, but...) relationship with someone, that is pretty much the only foreseeable future development I could regret missing out on. I can take or leave the other plotlines which are either ongoing or in prospect.  Hannelore is of course always adorable, but she reached her pinnacle of loveliness in the recent story arc and I'm leaving her personal story behind on a relative high.

For those who find posts undesirable, I give you my word that you will find them in no future topics, although I reserve the right to reply in this one as I please.

Soluzar, may I offer my apologies.  I was speaking towards first impressions; abrasiveness is not merely disagreeing, but the tone with which it is done.  One can even agree in an abrasive fashion.  

Tergon said it much better than I could.  You eventually came around to being quite pleasant to have around in that you offered your opinions in a non-abrasive way, but first impressions tend to last.  

I do think you're cheating yourself out of something by giving up on the comic, though.  It's evolved quite a bit from the Marten and Faye show, but that's not a bad thing.  Whatever may come, it will not be stagnant, and will have surprises, drama, and pretty good punchlines - that's not getting lost.  Evolution is just that; what doesn't work well gets discarded, what does work well (or what doesn't get in the way) stays.  None of us can tell where it's going, though, and I think we're all in for a good ride.  

Of course, it's your choice whether to jump ship (pardon the expression) at this point.  Personal taste is what it is.  I know that there's a good chance, sometime down he road, you'll take a peek to see what's up (perhaps with Marigold), and may well get hooked again, digging through the archives to get caught back up.  

And I hope to see you again when that happens.  

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #165 on: 30 Nov 2010, 08:47 »

If your significant other ever puts on Mariner's Revenge as a prelude to being intimate, that is probably a Bad Sign.

I would hope Faye went for "Yankee Bayonet" just for the humor value. Angus'd appreciate it, I'm sure.

( :psyduck: now I've gone and done it. please, please, please no innuendo about 'Yankee bayonets hur hur' I still feel bad for being the originator of That )

OK, I need to hear more of their stuff.  The CD my daughter compiled for me is woefully lacking...

tbones

« Reply #166 on: 30 Nov 2010, 08:58 »

Great scott Carl-E! that thing you do with words and respect with humility and askdljasjedhladewaeskldm_  :psyduck:

I mean... it may sound really silly, but geez you really are a nice guy!!! How the hell can you acomplish being so nice!??! :psyduck:

EDIT:
*NOT sarcasm!!*
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 09:34 by tbones »
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #167 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:04 »

Was  is correct; the antecedent is not each of Sven and Faye (which would require were ), but the (singular) combination of the two of them.  Of course, the next bit should then be "You and me is " to match.  On the whole I would argue that the variation between the two forms is acceptable as Fowler's "elegant variation", and the whole is idiomatically fine.

Really? But that sounds terrible! I mean it doesn't sound like it's proper English! It makes it sound like Faye is drunk and her southern accent is going out of control.
- Alvin

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #168 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:31 »

OK, I need to hear more of their stuff.  The CD my daughter compiled for me is woefully lacking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvGwY4tEJQM <-- "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)".

I can totally see Faye and Angus singing this, or it being the anthem of their FIRST NIGHT OMGOMGOMGBBQ, or whatever. It's also just a lovely Goddamn song in general. Ask your daughter to lend you "The Crane Wife". Good album.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #169 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:33 »

What was that line Penny said about her former college roommates?
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1037
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 11:24 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #170 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:46 »

HERP HERP I DON'T LIKE THE COMIC ANYMORE THE WHOLE WORLD HAS TO KNOW HERP DERP

Just stop reading if you don't like it anymore.  :psyduck:
What I posted isn't comic discussion. Clearly.

ITT: People too thin-skinned to hear a negative view on their favourite webcomic.

ITT, a) you're wrong, and b) you're actually seeing people who don't like you and want you to go away.

I'm certain that that is what you're seeing when you're looking at my comment, anyway.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #171 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:51 »

Really? But that sounds terrible! I mean it doesn't sound like it's proper English

Well it depends how you say it or read/hear it...  Also, try imagining the implied extra words:
[The combination of] Sven and me was a speedboat...
You and I are [the constituent parts of] a paddle steamer...

If you are to have "were" in the first, you need to have "I" as well; reading the "me" makes my mind parse it as I suggest, making the "was" correct.

zadojla

• Emoticontraindication
  • Yes, it's a wombat.
« Reply #172 on: 30 Nov 2010, 10:37 »

Regarding grammer:

My daughter, who is studying liguistics in graduate school, would say there is no right or wrong, just what people use.  To me, the compound subject with the plural verb sounds more natural than with the singular verb, even though the predicate nominative is singular.  It's gonna disagree either way, and Jeph is emulating spoken conversation, which is much more grammatically loosey-goosey than most people realize.  Just my $0.02...
How do I get one of those brooms?

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #173 on: 30 Nov 2010, 10:46 »

hmm I actually tried saying "Sven and me was a speedboat" out loud and yer right, it doesn't sound as terrible as I thought. huh. I would take this as a cue to take that grammar class available at my school if I wasn't 90% sure it would put me to sleep.

I'm not saying grammar isn't interesting! I just know an 1.5 hour class on it wouldn't be able to hold my 2nd-grade attention span.

EDIT: Tai has 69 votes now hurr hurr   

(sorry, I also have a 2nd grade sense of humor)
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 10:48 by iduguphergrave »
- Alvin

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #174 on: 30 Nov 2010, 10:49 »

As someone who was born and spent the first 14 years of my life in Georgia and then moved to the Godless North, (Ohio in my case) I can attest that Faye's grammatical structure in today's comic, while in no way, shape or for form grammatically correct, (at least to a prescriptivist) is completely natural given Faye's linguistic history.

As a matter of fact, until I read this:

I didn't notice anything unusual or out of the ordinary about Faye's sentence, and I'm willing to bet even iduguphergrave knew exactly what she was talking about, but because of decades of prescriptivist brainwashing, has been obsessing about her so-called 'error' for hours.

The problem isn't "Why can't the English* teach their children how to speak?" It's "Why can't the English teachers* of the Wolrd let the children speak their own languange?"

*by which I mean the entire Anglophone world.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #175 on: 30 Nov 2010, 10:55 »

As someone who was born and spent the first 14 years of my life in Georgia and then moved to the Godless North, (Ohio in my case) I can attest that Faye's grammatical structure in today's comic, while in no way, shape or for form grammatically correct, (at least to a prescriptivist) is completely natural given Faye's linguistic history.

I didn't notice anything unusual or out of the ordinary about Faye's sentence, and I'm willing to bet even iduguphergrave knew exactly what she was talking about, but because of decades of prescriptivist brainwashing, has been obsessing about her so-called 'error' for hours.

The problem isn't "Why can't the English* teach their children how to speak?" It's "Why can't the English teachers* of the Wolrd let the children speak their own languange?"

*by which I mean the entire Anglophone world.

Cause English teachers are generally people who are paid to hate dialects and get hell of obsessive over the supposed Goddamn perfection of Standard American English (which is not the Queen's English, fucking thank you, British English actually has quite a bit of difference), it seems like.

I think it's good to know SAE as the lingua franca of the West, but I am always happy when I see a dialect get practiced. They're little and they're beautiful and I love them all.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

FadedLB

• Not quite a lurker
  • I'm on fiyah
« Reply #176 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:02 »

I just have to add...

Jeph, I LOVE today's comic title. Perfect use of a great Gordon Lightfoot song. :-D

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #177 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:07 »

Hey look, a sensible conversation between Faye and Angus about Marten and Dora's breakup that leads into silly relationship metaphors!  If they are best represented by a paddle steamer near Niagara Falls, that fits with the awkwardness-defusing garb at the Horrible Revelation.  (I don't know if we're ever going to see the cast in Victorian dress again, but I would dearly love to see the entire cast, including Dale, in a Merry Christmas from the Horrible Revelation poster.)

Also, doesn't Jeph hate the Decemberists?  Or am I mixing them up with another band?

Also, try imagining the implied extra words:

If you are to have "were" in the first, you need to have "I" as well; reading the "me" makes my mind parse it as I suggest, making the "was" correct.

I would have imagined the unspoken extra words as "the relationship between" in that first sentence, which would still make the verb "was."  Faye using "I" instead of "me" in the next sentence does change that, so I agree with your interpretation.  Of course, she probably should have had both sentences structured the same way for better balance, but colloquial speech does tend to be spooled out without significant re-examination, unlike the written word.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #178 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:09 »

For comic #1807...

1. Good funny on the nautical metaphors on romantic relationships, just as funny as the Goldilocks & The Three Bears one with porridge.  Though the Classical Literature & Boobs gag is still my favorite.

2. The Faye + Sven metaphor is accurate.  Glad it was not a Titanic movie reference (ugh).

3. Makes me more than a little sad to hear Faye's metaphor-description of her and Marten's stillborn romance :-( , considering how much it has been a defining part, and seed-of-growth, for her character and development.

4. As for the Angus & Faye paddle steamer to Niagara Falls...  Will it be:

OR

« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 14:41 by pendrake »

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #179 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:10 »

Of course I knew what Faye was talking about; she still got her point across just fine, but your only half-right about the brainwashing part. Another reason I was obsessing over it because I'm just a liiiiittle OCD about certain things and that set it off. Like I said, I wasn't even sure if it was or wasn't grammatically correct, it just didn't sound right to me. So really it's my own problem; if I see something like that, until I give voice to it, it'll really bug me. For another example, I also feel an incessant need to correct Dr. ROFLPWN's signature, because Hannelore's actual line is "My name is DJ Phalliz," not MC. But I know if I just came right out and did that, I'd look like a total dick, so I'd have to find a more subtle way of correcting him without looking like a nit-picky pedant.

:-D
- Alvin

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #180 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:18 »

I see what you did there! :mrgreen: :-D :-o :-D :mrgreen:

For me it's symmetry. If something is almost, but not quite, symmetrical it causes my brain to buzz something fierce!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #181 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:36 »

not the Queen's English, fucking thank you

You're welcome :wink:

In the case under discussion, I see no difference anyway.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #182 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:01 »

For comic #1807...
3. Makes me more than a little sad to hear Faye's metaphor-description of her and Marten's stillborn romance :-( , considering how much it has been a defining part, and seed-of-growth, for her character and development.

You posted this while I was typing my last post so I didn't get a chance to say before, but I just wanted to compliment you on your hauntingly poetic term for Marten and Faye's former situation; I like it and it's pretty accurate  :-)
- Alvin

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #183 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:24 »

Makes me more than a little sad to hear Faye's metaphor-description of her and Marten's stillborn romance :-( , considering how much it has been a defining part, and seed-of-growth, for her character and development.
That's as may be, but it's the cold truth. I don't think it was so much that Faye really wanted a romance with Marten as she wanted the option of having one. That is what's driven her growth—she realized she didn't have it. If you go back and read through, it becomes pretty clear that's what was really the problem. I truly wonder if Faye and Marten would have lasted as lovers for as long as Marten and Dora did if they'd started at, say, The Talk.

Don't let that observation spoil any Marten-Faye die-hards good times, though. It may very well be, somewhere down the line, that, having been friends for a nice long time, they can form a relationship that will work. You know, after Angus gets killed in a debate over frankenfish that turns riot and Tai, having converted to hetero to give Martinizing a try, gets her to a nunnery.

You know, at some point, I think I started posting to the wrong thread. Anyway, hit it, Celine!
Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 12:26 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

lolbutts

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #184 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:45 »

OH HAI GUYS I'M TOTALLY DONE WITH THIS COMIC, BUT I'M GOING TO CONTINUE TO HANG AROUND ON THE MESSAGEBOARD TO MAKE SURE YOU ALL KNOW JUST. HOW. BIG. A. DEAL. THIS. IS.

zadojla

• Emoticontraindication
  • Yes, it's a wombat.
« Reply #185 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:55 »

I just know an 1.5 hour class on it wouldn't be able to hold my 2nd-grade attention span.
Then you would love my daughter's Tuesday class: " Pedagogical English Grammer", three hours of how to teach it.
How do I get one of those brooms?

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #186 on: 30 Nov 2010, 13:14 »

You know, at some point, I think I started posting to the wrong thread. Anyway, hit it, Celine!
Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Marten!Hulk SMASH!  WHARRGARBL!

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #187 on: 30 Nov 2010, 13:15 »

not the Queen's English, fucking thank you

You're welcome :wink:

In the case under discussion, I see no difference anyway.

True, true, in this case there's no difference. That's just my own pedantry, again.

Of course I knew what Faye was talking about; she still got her point across just fine, but your only half-right about the brainwashing part. Another reason I was obsessing over it because I'm just a liiiiittle OCD about certain things and that set it off. Like I said, I wasn't even sure if it was or wasn't grammatically correct, it just didn't sound right to me. So really it's my own problem; if I see something like that, until I give voice to it, it'll really bug me. For another example, I also feel an incessant need to correct Dr. ROFLPWN's signature, because Hannelore's actual line is "My name is DJ Phalliz," not MC. But I know if I just came right out and did that, I'd look like a total dick, so I'd have to find a more subtle way of correcting him without looking like a nit-picky pedant.

:-D

Damn it it's DJ? BUT THAT GOES AGAINST CONVENTIONS OF--oh fuck it I'll change it for canonicity D:

Hey look, a sensible conversation between Faye and Angus about Marten and Dora's breakup that leads into silly relationship metaphors!  If they are best represented by a paddle steamer near Niagara Falls, that fits with the awkwardness-defusing garb at the Horrible Revelation.  (I don't know if we're ever going to see the cast in Victorian dress again, but I would dearly love to see the entire cast, including Dale, in a Merry Christmas from the Horrible Revelation poster.)

Also, doesn't Jeph hate the Decemberists?  Or am I mixing them up with another band?

I hope Jeph doesn't hate the Decemberists? I mean I know they're not the hella cool thing right now in the scene but I like my overly wordy 19th Century sea-shanty-based rockers

Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #188 on: 30 Nov 2010, 13:23 »

Great scott Carl-E! that thing you do with words and respect with humility and askdljasjedhladewaeskldm_  :psyduck:

I mean... it may sound really silly, but geez you really are a nice guy!!! How the hell can you acomplish being so nice!??! :psyduck:

EDIT:
*NOT sarcasm!!*

Well, thanks.  However, I could introduce you to a few individuals who would disagree with you.  Whole classrooms full, in fact.  

Not to mention the ones I live with...  

It's nice to be able to present a fresh face.  

“The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.”  --Marc Antony, in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

hannahsaurusrex

• Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #189 on: 30 Nov 2010, 13:37 »

Am I wrong in being annoyed with "grammar" misspellings? Did it change since my 4th grade spelling bee?

The was I can forgive, but correcting grammar with spelling errors seems contradictory.

That being said, I love the artwork today. I also wonder if Marten would agree with a complete collapse.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #190 on: 30 Nov 2010, 13:50 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvGwY4tEJQM <-- "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)".

I can totally see Faye and Angus singing this, or it being the anthem of their FIRST NIGHT OMGOMGOMGBBQ, or whatever. It's also just a lovely Goddamn song in general. Ask your daughter to lend you "The Crane Wife". Good album.

Damn, now you've got me going. 

But I think We both go down together may be more appropriate? 

As for an "our song", I'm afraid they already have one

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #191 on: 30 Nov 2010, 14:06 »

As someone who was born and spent the first 14 years of my life in Georgia and then moved to the Godless North, (OHIO IN MY CASE)...

<snip>

(emphasis mine)

On behalf of the Canadians of this thread, I cordially invite you to quit your whining.  :-P
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #192 on: 30 Nov 2010, 14:19 »

Great scott Carl-E! that thing you do with words and respect with humility and askdljasjedhladewaeskldm_  :psyduck:

EDIT:
*NOT sarcasm!!*

Well, thanks.  However, I could introduce you to a few individuals who would disagree with you.  Whole classrooms full, in fact. 

“The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.”  --Marc Antony, in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar
Translation: He's not a nice guy*. He just plays one on teh forums.

*For crissakes, he teaches math! Never met a math teacher who wasn't a sadist that would make the Marquis himself hide under the bed.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #193 on: 30 Nov 2010, 14:29 »

...in a display of complete linguistic pedantry on my part, this also sparked me to wonder whether "Me and Sven was" would not also be Faye's general use of the form, due to her Southern origins and the fact that she does seem to have Southern American English dialect artifacts from time to time. Not as often as one'd think, but...

...of course then I remember that I am analyzing the linguistics of a comic character :mrgreen:

Doubtful. I grew up in a long line of Southerners, in the South, and if I used "me and Sven," I would've been corrected in five seconds flat. Geography is no excuse for less-than-stellar grammar.

Teletheus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #194 on: 30 Nov 2010, 14:53 »

The combination of Sven and Faye would be "we," which is definitely not singular.  You wouldn't say "We was a speedboat."  Well, you could, but you wouldn't be correct.  You'd say "We were a speedboat," or "Our relationship was a speedboat;" you can't conflate the two without using incorrect grammar.  Now, this is a fairly emotional conversation they're having, despite the humor -- who would have guessed that Faye would resort to humor in an emotionally charged conversation? -- so it's not like the poor grammar doesn't fit the situation (as also evidenced by the "me and Sven" instead of "Sven and I").

Also, on a side note -- I just happened to notice that this is not the first time that nautical metaphors were used to describe relationships in QC.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=514

Toto, anyone?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #195 on: 30 Nov 2010, 15:05 »

Was  is correct; the antecedent is not each of Sven and Faye (which would require were ), but the (singular) combination of the two of them.  Of course, the next bit should then be "You and me is " to match.  On the whole I would argue that the variation between the two forms is acceptable as Fowler's "elegant variation", and the whole is idiomatically fine.

I normally write this sort of thing off as being a comic, and written in a foreign dialect anyway, but "Sven and I were a speedboat" would be how I'd express the idea. Would anyone really say "Jack and Jill was a cute couple", treating Jack and Jill as a singular combination? There is a variation between AmEng and Br/AuEng, where Br/AuEng treats collective nouns as plurals ("The Clash were a great band" not "The Clash was a great band"), but I don't think that is in play here.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 15:07 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #196 on: 30 Nov 2010, 15:10 »

Would anyone really say "Jack and Jill was a cute couple", treating Jack and Jill as a singular combination?

In some contexts, possibly; but it's clearly less natural than what Faye said, because her use of "me" defined the case - which the proper names do not, making this example ambiguous.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #197 on: 30 Nov 2010, 15:22 »

But "Sven and me" didn't even sound right to me either. In fact I've always been confused on when you say "John and I" or "John and Me" or "Me and John." As a kid I was taught that is was always "John and I" no matter what but I've heard different since then. Anyway wouldn't it be "Sven and I?" After all later in the same speech bubble she says "You and I." Why is it different?  :?
- Alvin

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #198 on: 30 Nov 2010, 15:26 »

Great scott Carl-E! that thing you do with words and respect with humility and askdljasjedhladewaeskldm_  :psyduck:

EDIT:
*NOT sarcasm!!*

Well, thanks.  However, I could introduce you to a few individuals who would disagree with you.  Whole classrooms full, in fact. 

“The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.”  --Marc Antony, in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar
Translation: He's not a nice guy*. He just plays one on teh forums.

*For crissakes, he teaches math! Never met a math teacher who wasn't a sadist that would make the Marquis himself hide under the bed.

Actually, all I've been teaching lately is sadistics statistics. 

:angel:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #199 on: 30 Nov 2010, 15:27 »

As a kid I was taught that is was always "John and I" no matter what

Which is wrong, because "I" and "me" are different cases, and should be used according to which is required.  In this case, we observe the choice of word, and then parse the sentence to match the case of the word, so:
Why is it different?  :?

Because it can be.  You can either take Faye's "me" as incorrect (in which case "was" is also incorrect), or you can parse the sentence assuming "me" and "was" are correct and intended.  If that parsing is so unnatural that no-one would use it, then that is a bad idea; but I contend that in this case it is not - not least because I might say it that way!  As I wrote before:
try imagining the implied extra words:

« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 15:34 by pwhodges »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up