THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 15:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who's next on the "Reaction to the Breakup" list?

Marigold
- 20 (10.1%)
Angus (CHECK - Couldn't believe it)
- 7 (3.5%)
Tai (CHECK - Emo Marten)
- 76 (38.2%)
Raven
- 4 (2%)
Steve
- 31 (15.6%)
Cosette
- 2 (1%)
Jimbo
- 9 (4.5%)
Ms. Vance (CHECK! She's on the next plane out!)
- 18 (9%)
Mr. Reed
- 2 (1%)
The Bianchis
- 2 (1%)
Penelope
- 13 (6.5%)
Dale (Daaaaangg.)
- 15 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 29 Nov-3 Dec (1806-1810)  (Read 113169 times)

PaxCeciliaPwns

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT 29 Nov-3 Dec (1806-1810)
« Reply #200 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:27 »

I've always been taught saying "Me and Sven" is grammatically incorrect.

Good comic though. I've always been a Marten-Faye guy, but she clearly wants things to work with Angus.
Not gonna stop reading though, talk about dramatic.  :-P

maxh

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #201 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:34 »

But "Sven and me" didn't even sound right to me either. In fact I've always been confused on when you say "John and I" or "John and Me" or "Me and John." As a kid I was taught that is was always "John and I" no matter what but I've heard different since then. Anyway wouldn't it be "Sven and I?" After all later in the same speech bubble she says "You and I." Why is it different?  :?
You use "I" or "me" the same as if the other person weren't in the sentence.
GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7  D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #202 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:48 »

I'm claiming Hodgson's Law RIGHT NOW.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #203 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:58 »

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #204 on: 30 Nov 2010, 17:10 »

But "Sven and me" didn't even sound right to me either. In fact I've always been confused on when you say "John and I" or "John and Me" or "Me and John." As a kid I was taught that is was always "John and I" no matter what but I've heard different since then. Anyway wouldn't it be "Sven and I?" After all later in the same speech bubble she says "You and I." Why is it different?  :?

So "I" and "me" are interchangeable?

I'm claiming Hodgson's Law RIGHT NOW.

hehe I know, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to create a monster  :angel: Luckily I doubt this can snowball into 30+ pages of arguing about grammar
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #205 on: 30 Nov 2010, 17:11 »

Nautical metaphors for relationship are a recurring theme:
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=172
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #206 on: 30 Nov 2010, 17:12 »

hehe I know, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to create a monster  :angel: Luckily I doubt this can snowball into 30+ pages of arguing about grammar

Technically, it's possible that it could.  So I don't think that "I doubt this can snowball..." is correct.  You should have said, "I doubt that this will snowball..."
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #207 on: 30 Nov 2010, 17:26 »

(throws a snowball at Tergon)
Just another Joe like 46

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #208 on: 30 Nov 2010, 17:29 »

Damn you beat me to it! *drops her snowball* Whatever, neither of you are allowed in my snow fort.  :psyduck:
- Alvin

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #209 on: 30 Nov 2010, 17:31 »

Oh come on, I just had to.  You'd have done the same to me.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #210 on: 30 Nov 2010, 17:39 »

I did indeed set myself up for it  :-P  :laugh:
- Alvin

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #211 on: 30 Nov 2010, 18:03 »

Considering that a lot of their music has to do with sea shanty type stuff, it doesn't have to be Mariner's Revenge. They've got others.

Or maybe the Rogue's Gallery compilation.

If your significant other ever puts on Mariner's Revenge as a prelude to being intimate, that is probably a Bad Sign.

I would hope Faye went for "Yankee Bayonet" just for the humor value. Angus'd appreciate it, I'm sure.

( :psyduck: now I've gone and done it. please, please, please no innuendo about 'Yankee bayonets hur hur' I still feel bad for being the originator of That )

OK, I need to hear more of their stuff.  The CD my daughter compiled for me is woefully lacking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvGwY4tEJQM <-- "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)".

I can totally see Faye and Angus singing this, or it being the anthem of their FIRST NIGHT OMGOMGOMGBBQ, or whatever. It's also just a lovely Goddamn song in general. Ask your daughter to lend you "The Crane Wife". Good album.

Damn, now you've got me going. 

But I think We both go down together may be more appropriate? 

As for an "our song", I'm afraid they already have one

Hmm, well Angus has been compared to Colin Meloy on a few occasions, it has my approval all right.  :-D
But if Faye has Angels in Her Angles, then what else does she have? Cupids in Her Curves? Demons in Her Drawl? I sure as Hell think so.

And tangentially, I posit that Tai's "first" song would be Digital Love. (DOHOHO)
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #212 on: 30 Nov 2010, 18:09 »

Considering that a lot of their music has to do with sea shanty type stuff, it doesn't have to be Mariner's Revenge. They've got others.

Or maybe the Rogue's Gallery compilation.

If your significant other ever puts on Mariner's Revenge as a prelude to being intimate, that is probably a Bad Sign.

I would hope Faye went for "Yankee Bayonet" just for the humor value. Angus'd appreciate it, I'm sure.

( :psyduck: now I've gone and done it. please, please, please no innuendo about 'Yankee bayonets hur hur' I still feel bad for being the originator of That )

OK, I need to hear more of their stuff.  The CD my daughter compiled for me is woefully lacking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvGwY4tEJQM <-- "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)".

I can totally see Faye and Angus singing this, or it being the anthem of their FIRST NIGHT OMGOMGOMGBBQ, or whatever. It's also just a lovely Goddamn song in general. Ask your daughter to lend you "The Crane Wife". Good album.

Damn, now you've got me going.  

But I think We both go down together may be more appropriate?  

As for an "our song", I'm afraid they already have one.  

Well of COURSE 'Africa' is Their Song, yeah. But out of the Decemberists' milieu...

Ooh, "We Both Go Down Together!" Okay, that would be more a song about Faye and Angus. "Yankee Bayonet" would be more a karaoke night duet.

EDIT: HEARTILY AGREEING WITH SHARP'S ASSESSMENT ABOVE
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 18:13 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

maxh

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #213 on: 30 Nov 2010, 18:15 »

So "I" and "me" are interchangeable?
No; you use either "I" or "me" based upon which you would use without the other person.
GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7  D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

Sharp

« Reply #214 on: 30 Nov 2010, 18:28 »

[quote author

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #215 on: 30 Nov 2010, 18:54 »

OMG, we're still arguing about Faye's Grammar!?!?!?! :-o :? :roll:

There are three 'rules' she's breaking in that sentence, I'll list them:

1: Always list "I" or "me" last in a pair or list. "Sven and me" rather than "Me and Sven"

2: Choose "I" or "Me" in a list or pair as if it were not in a list or pair. "I was a speedboat" rather than "Me was a speedboat;" therefore "Sven and I was a speedboat" rather than "Sven and me was a speedboat"

3: Conjugate the verb acting on a list or pair as if it were plural, i. e. substitute the collective pronoun and then conjugate. "We were a speedboat" rather than "We was a speedboat;" therefore "Sven and I were a speedboat" rather than "Sven and I was a speedboat"

**BUT**

You'll notice that above I put " 'rules' " in scare quotes. The reason I did this, and what prescriptivist teachers forget, is that they are not rules, but merely recommendations.

Grammar is not physics, nor is it mathematics.

There is no such thing as "correct" grammar.

There is standard grammar, formal grammar, or recommended grammar, but it is important to remember that these standards are entirely arbitrary.

The only thing that makes one form more correct than another is that someone somewhere wrote it down in a book that that was "the rule."

In Physics, E=mc2 because E=mc2. Einstein didn't decide that, he derived it, and it's the same whether you're in England, Wales, New England or New South Wales. That's not what happens with grammar. "The rule" in grammar is made up, and it may be different depending on where you live and what standard you use.

This is why we've been going 'round and 'round about this. There is no right answer, just different standards.

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!
« Reply #216 on: 30 Nov 2010, 19:22 »

Me is the object of a preposition. Or to put it simply, the subject of a verb. I would be the person performing the verb.
"I went to the store."
"That person stabbed John and me."
Won't lie, I like grammar, and this is more interesting than my English essay.
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #217 on: 30 Nov 2010, 19:49 »

OMG, we're still arguing about Faye's Grammar!?!?!?! :-o :? :roll:

There are three 'rules' she's breaking in that sentence, I'll list them:

1: Always list "I" or "me" last in a pair or list. "Sven and me" rather than "Me and Sven"

2: Choose "I" or "Me" in a list or pair as if it were not in a list or pair. "I was a speedboat" rather than "Me was a speedboat;" therefore "Sven and I was a speedboat" rather than "Sven and me was a speedboat"

3: Conjugate the verb acting on a list or pair as if it were plural, i. e. substitute the collective pronoun and then conjugate. "We were a speedboat" rather than "We was a speedboat;" therefore "Sven and I were a speedboat" rather than "Sven and I was a speedboat"

**BUT**

You'll notice that above I put " 'rules' " in scare quotes. The reason I did this, and what prescriptivist teachers forget, is that they are not rules, but merely recommendations.

Grammar is not physics, nor is it mathematics.

There is no such thing as "correct" grammar.

There is standard grammar, formal grammar, or recommended grammar, but it is important to remember that these standards are entirely arbitrary.

The only thing that makes one form more correct than another is that someone somewhere wrote it down in a book that that was "the rule."

In Physics, E=mc2 because E=mc2. Einstein didn't decide that, he derived it, and it's the same whether you're in England, Wales, New England or New South Wales. That's not what happens with grammar. "The rule" in grammar is made up, and it may be different depending on where you live and what standard you use.

This is why we've been going 'round and 'round about this. There is no right answer, just different standards.

I'll amend this: linguistically, there is, indeed, no right answer except within the confines of your dialect. In Standard American English's rules, Faye is wrong. Faye, however, does not necessarily use Standard American English. Likely, she uses a variant of Southern American English, where the rules are completely different and her wording is totally correct.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

leahneedsanap

• Plantmonster
« Reply #218 on: 30 Nov 2010, 20:35 »

Wasting my first post on grammar??? For shame.

But, in the sentence, Faye was using "Me and Sven" to refer to the relationship itself, as a singular thing, (Faye and Sven: THE EVENT) not to the two people in it.  If she had said Faven was like a speedboat, the verb would have been properly conjugated, and she is using "me and Sven" much in the same way.  Of course, she turns around and does the opposite in the next sentence.  What can I say, they don't teach us real English in the South.

And now, I will jump into the "grammar is rules, not laws" boat and sail into Niagara Falls.

Oh, and also, this whole strip was kind of adorable.  The best way to defeat an awkward situation is still to stare it in the face and savor it until it becomes totally hilarious.

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #219 on: 30 Nov 2010, 20:55 »

How about if one's grammar is able to be heavily debated, it really doesn't matter if it's correct or not.  :psyduck:

akronnick

« Reply #220 on: 30 Nov 2010, 21:00 »

Only if you want some poor prescriptivist bastard's head to explode...

:psyduck: :mrgreen: :psyduck: :police: :evil: :angel:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #221 on: 30 Nov 2010, 21:08 »

Going from slashfic to "who's a biatch" to pop psych to MORE slashfic to arguing over grammar...

I feel like I need someone to say, "Please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the ride at all times" over the loudspeaker.
Just another Joe like 46

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #222 on: 30 Nov 2010, 21:24 »

if its any consolation, my biggest problem with the vast majority of slashfic _is_ the horrible grammar.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #223 on: 30 Nov 2010, 21:45 »

But would the wreck of the Faye Whittaker get a song written about it?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

zadojla

• Emoticontraindication
  • Yes, it's a wombat.
« Reply #224 on: 30 Nov 2010, 21:51 »

Likely, she uses a variant of Southern American English, where the rules are completely different and her wording is totally correct.
I just spoke to my daughter the linguist about this, and here is the deal according to her:
A compound subject ("Sven and me") would take a plural verb ("were"), but in some dialects (American Southern!) there is something called "was-leveling".  You've all heard it, it's when all tenses of a verb become the same as the third-person singular.  "Officer, we was just headin' down to the general store."
I am now done boring you all with grammar.  Seriously, two pages worth?  What next?  Can we, shall we, might we, talk about modal auxiliaries?  They use double modals in Kentucky.  "You might should go to the doctor."
How do I get one of those brooms?

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #225 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:00 »

Likely, she uses a variant of Southern American English, where the rules are completely different and her wording is totally correct.
I just spoke to my daughter the linguist about this, and here is the deal according to her:
A compound subject ("Sven and me") would take a plural verb ("were"), but in some dialects (American Southern!) there is something called "was-leveling".  You've all heard it, it's when all tenses of a verb become the same as the third-person singular.  "Officer, we was just headin' down to the general store."
I am now done boring you all with grammar.  Seriously, two pages worth?  What next?  Can we, shall we, might we, talk about modal auxiliaries?  They use double modals in Kentucky.  "You might should go to the doctor."

I know that using grammar that way is common here in the south, but it would be a cold day in hell before you ever heard me say "We was fixin' to do ::insert arbitrary stereotypical southern action here::" Now I do use the word fixin' in that manner, but that's about as southern as I get with my grammar.... most of the time.

Boomslang

« Reply #226 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:13 »

But would the wreck of the Faye Whittaker get a song written about it?

10 minutes of postmodern, retro thrashmetal, remixed with one of the creepy child voices from a number station.

That or a Sven-esque cowboy ballad. But I like to think the former.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #227 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:14 »

James The Kugai 

tHEfOOL

• Larger than most fish
  • TAQUITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #228 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:21 »

oh god, i just read through this entire thread, and it was interesting untill faye's grammar got brought up. IT'S JUST A DAMN COMIC THERE IS NO NEED FOR 20+ POSTS ARGUING OVER 1 SENTENCE A MADE UP CHARACTER SAID. that said i'm eagerly awaiting tonights comic
I will mail a flaming box of poop to the first person who suggests I "haven't met the right person".

Shadic

• Shadic's Website
« Reply #229 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:30 »

So. Faye can make the room darken. Cool talent.

WITH RAGE.

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!
« Reply #230 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:31 »

Nice that Faye could make the room darken, but the light from her eyes wasn't all that bright.  Maybe Cosette could give her Death Stare lessons. :)  But, there's potential there. :D
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #231 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:35 »

As the holder of a linguistics degree m'self (only bachelor's though) I am completely totally all about modal auxiliaries, hell yyyyyeeeeesssss

Much bro grabs are returned sir and also fuck yeah Professor Brothers

If I was not on my iPhone like a tool I would post glorious Washington, destroyer of enemies
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

tHEfOOL

• Larger than most fish
  • TAQUITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #232 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:42 »

while god cannot stand the north because of the cold, evidently satan loves it
I will mail a flaming box of poop to the first person who suggests I "haven't met the right person".

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #233 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:42 »

Nice that Faye could make the room darken, but the light from her eyes wasn't all that bright.  Maybe Cosette could give her Death Stare lessons. :)  But, there's potential there. :D

FTFY.

Just another Joe like 46

Sharp

« Reply #234 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:46 »

As the holder of a linguistics degree m'self (only bachelor's though) I am completely totally all about modal auxiliaries, hell yyyyyeeeeesssss

Much bro grabs are returned sir and also fuck yeah Professor Brothers

If I was not on my iPhone like a tool I would post glorious Washington, destroyer of enemies

I dunno if the forum allows embedding video, so this is the best I can provide ATM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbRom1Rz8OA

"He's coming, he's coming, he's coming..."
[quote author

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #235 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:50 »

Dora can't run from her issues anymore, but she's going to give in kicking and screaming.

The next couple weeks will be good. :mrgreen:

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #236 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:57 »

DORA, IF YOU GOT BEEF THAN BRING THA RUCKUS
FAYE WHITAKER AIN'T NOTHIN' TA FUCK WITH
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #237 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:57 »

Faye must not have been talking to Dr. Corrine much as of late, or she'd know to say, "I prefer to think of this more as an intervention by any means necessary."

And, on a different note, I'd love to see Luna make a reappearance in the comic.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 23:00 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

akronnick

« Reply #238 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:58 »

oh god, i just read through this entire thread, and it was interesting untill faye's grammar got brought up. IT'S JUST A DAMN COMIC THERE IS NO NEED FOR 20+ POSTS ARGUING OVER 1 SENTENCE A MADE UP CHARACTER SAID. that said i'm eagerly awaiting tonights comic

You're new here, aren't you...

Anyhooo...

Faye is absolutely right here.

Dora is trying to stall hoping that she'll be able to find some excuse not to do it until tomorrow, and then there will be another excuse, and so on, etc.

I know this because this is my favorite way of (not) dealing with stuff I don't want to deal with.

Do it now or don't do it.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #239 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:59 »

"Dora Bianchi!!  Do not mistake me for some cheap conjuror of tricks!  I'm trying not to hurt you, I'm trying to get you help."
James The Kugai 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #240 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:01 »

"Dora Bianchi!!  Do not mistake me for some cheap conjuror of tricks!  I'm trying not to hurt you, I'm trying to get you help."

I'm gonna kick myself for not recognizing where that's from...
Just another Joe like 46

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #241 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:02 »

Please, let me kick you for you!  :-o

*applauds Kugai* Very nice, sir. :lol:
- Alvin

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #242 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:02 »

GAH, Dora!

If I were in Faye's position Dora would have been hit with a rolled up newspaper.

I generally like Dora, but she likes to call other people on their shit all the time. TIME FOR PAYBACK!

"Dora Bianchi!!  Do not mistake me for some cheap conjuror of tricks!  I'm trying not to hurt you, I'm trying to get you help."

I'm gonna kick myself for not recognizing where that's from...
LOTR: the fellowship of the ring

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #243 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:07 »

Thank you, Dora.  Thank you for calling.  I'm pretty sure it's in everyone's best interest that I'M A FIRIN' MAH LAZERRR

...I can't be the only one who thinks that whenever Faye's eyes go red.

...am I?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #244 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:07 »

The only problem with this approach is if Dora arrives at therapist's office, then starts in with "I don't know why I'm here really…I don't need help…"

Reading over that, though, I gotta admit that anyone who's any good at all will very likely get his/her net out at that point. Nor will the purple hair help anything, since it doesn't exactly scream "Look! Good decision maker here! Plus, I look in the mirror every damn morning and assure myself that nothing's wrong, even though I clearly have purple hair."

Hell, Dora may get shipped straight to a, ah, holding facility.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #245 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:11 »

The only problem with this approach is if Dora arrives at therapist's office, then starts in with "I don't know why I'm here really…I don't need help…"

Reading over that, though, I gotta admit that anyone who's any good at all will very likely get his/her net out at that point. Nor will the purple hair help anything, since it doesn't exactly scream "Look! Good decision maker here! Plus, I look in the mirror every damn morning and assure myself that nothing's wrong, even though I clearly have purple hair."

Hell, Dora may get shipped straight to a, ah, holding facility.

Somehow I doubt that the therapists around Smif are going to see purple hair as an indicator of Dora's insanity. Maybe in a more conservative area...

It would be funny if the therapist began blaming all of Dora's problems on her hair color..
"Insecure? well that's a common trait among those with purple hair, dear."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #246 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:14 »

Thank you, Dora.  Thank you for calling.  I'm pretty sure it's in everyone's best interest that I'M A FIRIN' MAH LAZERRR

...I can't be the only one who thinks that whenever Faye's eyes go red.

...am I?

Not any more, no.   

Thanks so much! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

akronnick

« Reply #247 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:15 »

It would be funny if the therapist began blaming all of Dora's problems on her hair color..
"Insecure? well that's a common trait among those with purple hair, dear."

Now who the hell would make such a...

Oh, wait...

Nevermind.

Somniloquence

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #248 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:18 »

Faye should have said "Sven and I were a speedboat that caught fire and exploded." That's the correct grammar, right?

I was trying not to point out her grammatical error earlier but it's been driving me crazy. English major and all that. Sorry!
I feel slightly better than I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Anyway, I'm rather excited to possibly see a new character in the future—Dora's therapist.
"The aim of psychoanalysis is to relieve people of their neurotic unhappiness so that they can be normally unhappy."
--Sigmund Freud

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #249 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:21 »

I'm betting on a male who was trained at the Albert Ellis Institute and has five papers on Overcoming Self-Esteem.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up