THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who's next on the "Reaction to the Breakup" list?

Marigold
- 20 (10.1%)
Angus (CHECK - Couldn't believe it)
- 7 (3.5%)
Tai (CHECK - Emo Marten)
- 76 (38.2%)
Raven
- 4 (2%)
Steve
- 31 (15.6%)
Cosette
- 2 (1%)
Jimbo
- 9 (4.5%)
Ms. Vance (CHECK! She's on the next plane out!)
- 18 (9%)
Mr. Reed
- 2 (1%)
The Bianchis
- 2 (1%)
Penelope
- 13 (6.5%)
Dale (Daaaaangg.)
- 15 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 29 Nov-3 Dec (1806-1810)  (Read 111240 times)

TadPrime

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT 29 Nov-3 Dec (1806-1810)
« Reply #450 on: 03 Dec 2010, 05:04 »

Hmmm...  I wonder if Jeph is setting up for 1812 to be accompanied by orchestra and light artillery...   :psyduck:

PhocsM

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #451 on: 03 Dec 2010, 05:14 »

A lot of people has said this but I can't help it: I want to see Marten's mom with the new art.

Also, it's fun that saying "Marten's mom" sounds a lot more perverse than saying Veronica.
PhocsM

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #452 on: 03 Dec 2010, 06:05 »

I'm guessing Veronica heads to COD without Marten's knowledge, goes inside...

...and calmly orders a beverage, and then drinks it in silence, all the while giving Dora the flaming-laser-eye-of-death, and then gets up and leaves without so much as another word.

Cue Dora being all, "WTF?"
Then Rick Astley walks in.

Here is a question, did Veronica ever actually meet Dora in person, except that one time?
Other than that time they had lunch together you mean?

Also, Miss Reed looks amazing with her hair down; I hope the new style does her justice.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2010, 06:07 by Mr_Rose »
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #453 on: 03 Dec 2010, 06:09 »

CALLED IT!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DJRubberducky

• Plantmonster
  • The Flash liked me better when I made poopy noises
« Reply #454 on: 03 Dec 2010, 06:09 »

Delator, my speculation runs much the same as yours, but with one exception:  I believe Miss Reed won't even need to give Dora so much as a stern glare.  Her mere presence in the coffee shop will suffice to make Dora cycle rapidly between panic and self-loathing.  

I have to say, though, if I'm not completely off the mark in identifying with Dora w/r/t insecurity, I think Miss Reed making a sincere and concerned inquiry into Dora's side of things would have a FAR greater effect than any sort of LAZORDEATHEYE she could give.  (And I suspect she's rather really good at lazordeatheyes and similar things.)  I have to admit to hoping this is how it goes down, but that's just so I can figure out if Dora and I are the same kind of crazy.  :laugh:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #455 on: 03 Dec 2010, 06:28 »

Has anyone else thought about what happens when Miss Reed(*) goes through airport security?

(*)The form of address she asked for in 433.

Oh, she probably checked all that stuff in here bags.

And she's also pretty good open-handed, I'd suspect.
Just another Joe like 46

Cammy

• Plantmonster
  • Huzzah!
    • Cammy's Comic Corner
« Reply #456 on: 03 Dec 2010, 06:32 »

Maybe Dora and Miss Reed will make-out.

Just sayin'.
Cammy's Comic Corner
with
CammyKnoxville
every
Sunday
Cammy's Comic Corner - Holiday Gift Suggestions

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #457 on: 03 Dec 2010, 06:34 »

Hmmm...  I wonder if Jeph is setting up for 1812 to be accompanied by orchestra and light artillery...   :psyduck:

Da-da-da-da-da-DADADA!!!!
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #458 on: 03 Dec 2010, 06:38 »

Cue Veronica ringing Tai and telling her that Marten will be sick for a week.

Cue Dora trying to make strip 1300 come to pass in order to join the Foreign Legion.

Cue Faye cackling like a maniac.... while in a specially designed bunker several hundred miles away from Coffee of Doom.

Cue Hanners looking up Veronica Vance on wikipedia and google, as they've never met, and then undoing all the progress she's made since meeting Marten as Hanners finds out that a whip has another use.

Cue Marigold telling Angus "I don't care which one Marten is. I'm trying to level up my Tauren Druid before Tuesday!.....Wait...Is Marten the tall guy with glasses?"

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #459 on: 03 Dec 2010, 06:46 »

Also, Miss Reed looks amazing with her hair down; I hope the new style does her justice.

I would like to note that, at that time, Dora was NOT expressing any overt interest in being Marten's girlfriend. Faye was close, and she got the infamous Bosch warning.

Personally, I see Veronica being VERY disappointed with Dora. There is no possible way Marten could have explained the situation to his mom (short of lying) that does not paint her as at least thoughtless, and more likely Miss Reed is assuming the worst of motives on Dora's part.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #460 on: 03 Dec 2010, 06:53 »

Who's next on the "Reaction to the Breakup" list?

Marigold    - 18 (9.6%)
Angus (CHECK - Couldn't believe it)    - 7 (3.7%)
Tai (CHECK - Emo Marten)    - 76 (40.6%)
Raven    - 4 (2.1%)
Steve    - 25 (13.4%)
Cosette    - 2 (1.1%)
Jimbo    - 9 (4.8%)
Ms. Vance (CHECK! She's on the next plane out!)    - 17 (9.1%)
Mr. Reed    - 1 (0.5%)
The Bianchis    - 2 (1.1%)
Penelope    - 12 (6.4%)
Dale (Daaaaangg.)    - 14 (7.5%)

Total Voters: 187
Just another Joe like 46

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #461 on: 03 Dec 2010, 07:00 »

Next week, miss Reed is going to be all "wait, you went out with the skinny one? What happened to that nice Faye girl?" and Marten will be all "huh buh whah" again and she will continue "I mean sure she was a bit uptight, but I figured that was probably due to whatever trauma it was she was hiding from you..."
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

pinch

• Not quite a lurker
  • Wham
« Reply #462 on: 03 Dec 2010, 07:18 »

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=459

This pretty much says it all in the last panel.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #463 on: 03 Dec 2010, 07:32 »

I predict there will be some actual DOOM in Coffee Of Doom......

now it's not going to happen is it what have I done.  :(

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #464 on: 03 Dec 2010, 07:42 »

Actually, I think Marten's reaction is quite normal - "I'm an adult, I can deal with a break up on my own and don't need you to come rushing out to help."

And if Mom does overreact, then I can see Marten snapping.

Personally, I don't care what is on my grave - I'm dead.  If I end up in some afterlife, then the material world isn't going to hold an attraction for me, save to see what the kids are up to.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #465 on: 03 Dec 2010, 08:07 »

I don't think Dora is doomed. I think that Marten is doomed.  :psyduck:

Really? Why? I am intrigue at this statement.

Ok maybe Dora is doomed in some way. But what is Veronica going to do? Stand up and get angry with Dora for her son? is that going to help Marten in anyway?

OR  let's say she doesn't go for Dora. what is she going to do? go fo Marten! I mean, the guy HAS to take a stand for himself sometime!!!

(I am NOT saying that Dora is not at fault. The relationship broke, cause of Dora's insecurities, but Marten REALLY needs to stop being a pushover!!)
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

colleenxcore

• Plantmonster
« Reply #466 on: 03 Dec 2010, 08:15 »

First: LOL @ people earlier in the thread who were going on and on about grammar "mistakes".

Second: The goose on the grave saying isn't referring to something walking over your grave after you're dead. Back in the days of yore, people used to believe if you got a sudden chill, it was because someone was walking over the place where your grave was eventually going to be. I think the goose part of it came in because of people calling the bumps you get on your skin from a chill "goosebumps" or "goose pimples."

Anyway.

Geez, Marten's mom is a little over-the-top with the mothering. Or maybe she just feels she needs to be that way because none of his relationships (that we can tell) seem to end up well. Didn't she threaten Dora when Marten wasn't at the table, that time she visited and they all had lunch together? Ruh-roh.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #467 on: 03 Dec 2010, 08:46 »

Second: The goose on the grave saying isn't referring to something walking over your grave after you're dead. Back in the days of yore, people used to believe if you got a sudden chill, it was because someone was walking over the place where your grave was eventually going to be. I think the goose part of it came in because of people calling the bumps you get on your skin from a chill "goosebumps" or "goose pimples."

Thank you for explaining that, it made me feel old thinking I was the only person on this forum who was familiar with that saying.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #468 on: 03 Dec 2010, 08:46 »

Naw, Naw, Naw, Naw, Naw....

Ms. Reed isn't coming to comfort Marten...

She's coming 'cause Dora's single again and she wants to hit that before Tai!!!!!

(I'm going to hell for that, ain't I)
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

shengokai

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #469 on: 03 Dec 2010, 08:57 »

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes! I eagerly await what Ms. Reed will do to Dora, though I don't think it will be as extreme as most are predicting: most likely a stern talking to/upbraiding for not dealing with her issues and doing what she did to Marten. Though, I am hoping for the Bosh-pants-shitting demonstrations of wrath from Momma Reed.

azurite

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #470 on: 03 Dec 2010, 10:02 »

Why on earth would Veronica go whoop-ass on Dora?! It wasn't like Dora cheated on Marten, strung him along, or was abusive--she just couldn't deal with her insecurities about Faye (and gee, I mean, it's not like Marten was living with Faye or had a huge crush on her for any significant amount of time, it's not like everything they did socially as a couple had Faye in the room too, and we certainly saw Marten doing everything he could to make Dora feel like she was his first choice, like how they got their own place together to start fresh, and remember that amazing strip where he finally said "I love you"?.... Oh. Wait.) That's not so much hurting Marten as it is "being the other half of a relationship between two flawed people that ended with both people getting hurt." There's a huge difference.

Veronica's son is the one with his life stalled out on the shoulder. The only major changes in his life since her last visit have been switching from one dead end job to another and his relationship with Dora, which he just sort of fell into, and, then, subsequently fell out of. Dora's insecurities were over the top, but most of them did fall in line with the idea that she couldn't fully trust Faye or Marten. Faye did what she could to get Dora to trust her, and I think it's significant that Dora's first heart-to-heart after the breakup was with her. Marten, on the other hand, never seemed actively invested in their relationship. He'd have fun with Dora when she was in a good mood, and he'd do what he could to placate her when she'd freak out, but my overall impression was that he let Dora take charge of things--and because Dora's never been in a functional relationship, she wasn't going to see that as a problem.

He's drifting along, not committing to anything... not even the things he seemed to enjoy--seriously close to slacker territory. And didn't he end up on the east coast for similar reasons? I suspect Ms. Reed Is Coming To Town to talk some stuff out with her son. I hope. Because in all honesty, seeing a grown woman who'd previously seemed insightful and mature go all assault and battery on Dora, who is already hurting pretty terribly, that would pretty much terminate my relationship with this strip.  :|

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #471 on: 03 Dec 2010, 10:14 »

THANK  you!!

I've been reading this and have had much the same thoughts, but you've expressed them very well!
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2010, 10:37 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

tbones

« Reply #472 on: 03 Dec 2010, 10:30 »

Woa azurite... just woa.

You know when someone just says what you are thinking to say? :psyduck: :psyduck:

Just... woa..
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

hannahsaurusrex

• Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #473 on: 03 Dec 2010, 10:49 »

What an amazing second post.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

shiroihikari

• Plantmonster
« Reply #474 on: 03 Dec 2010, 10:56 »

Indie music and drama no.

Animal fighting yes.

I registered for the sole purpose of saying I laughed my ass off at your edit.  Bravo, sir or madam.

However, while I'm here:

I suspect Ms. Reed Is Coming To Town to talk some stuff out with her son. I hope. Because in all honesty, seeing a grown woman who'd previously seemed insightful and mature go all assault and battery on Dora, who is already hurting pretty terribly, that would pretty much terminate my relationship with this strip.  :|

This, 100%.

Undercover Pteranodon

« Reply #475 on: 03 Dec 2010, 11:03 »

Had to register just to tell you that I think that is the best post I have seen on these forums since "the break up", azurite. Hope you post more while I go back to lurking. ;)

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #476 on: 03 Dec 2010, 11:18 »

Why on earth would Veronica go whoop-ass on Dora?! It wasn't like Dora cheated on Marten, strung him along, or was abusive--she just couldn't deal with her insecurities about Faye (and gee, I mean, it's not like Marten was living with Faye or had a huge crush on her for any significant amount of time, it's not like everything they did socially as a couple had Faye in the room too, and we certainly saw Marten doing everything he could to make Dora feel like she was his first choice, like how they got their own place together to start fresh, and remember that amazing strip where he finally said "I love you"?.... Oh. Wait.) That's not so much hurting Marten as it is "being the other half of a relationship between two flawed people that ended with both people getting hurt." There's a huge difference.

Veronica's son is the one with his life stalled out on the shoulder. The only major changes in his life since her last visit have been switching from one dead end job to another and his relationship with Dora, which he just sort of fell into, and, then, subsequently fell out of. Dora's insecurities were over the top, but most of them did fall in line with the idea that she couldn't fully trust Faye or Marten. Faye did what she could to get Dora to trust her, and I think it's significant that Dora's first heart-to-heart after the breakup was with her. Marten, on the other hand, never seemed actively invested in their relationship. He'd have fun with Dora when she was in a good mood, and he'd do what he could to placate her when she'd freak out, but my overall impression was that he let Dora take charge of things--and because Dora's never been in a functional relationship, she wasn't going to see that as a problem.

He's drifting along, not committing to anything... not even the things he seemed to enjoy--seriously close to slacker territory. And didn't he end up on the east coast for similar reasons? I suspect Ms. Reed Is Coming To Town to talk some stuff out with her son. I hope. Because in all honesty, seeing a grown woman who'd previously seemed insightful and mature go all assault and battery on Dora, who is already hurting pretty terribly, that would pretty much terminate my relationship with this strip.  :|

Marten never seemed actively invested in the relationship? Yeah I can agree he often let her take charge, but he put effort into their relationship, too. He was never distant with her or uninterested in her advances, wasn't afraid to be open with her, and when she suggested they live together, his first instinct was "I'd love it if you moved in!" (he only started to freak out a little when she suggested he move out and live with her alone, but it's important to note that his initial reaction was positive.) He bought her just-because presents. He wanted them to take a vacation together (after he won the bet with Hannelore's mom) Hell, he asked her why she hadn't taken him to meet her parents!*

Just because Marten's passive doesn't mean he's completely detached or uninterested; he was nothing but open and affectionate towards Dora.

*I can cite all the strips where these things happen if you want me to, I just didn't here because it would take forever
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

akronnick

« Reply #477 on: 03 Dec 2010, 11:21 »

Do I think Mart-e-mom will visit horrific violence on Dora?

I do not.

Do I think that Dora will freak out when she finds out that Mart-e-mom is coming to town?

I do indeed.

Do I think the freak-out will be hilarious?

I do, I really do!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

tHEfOOL

• Larger than most fish
  • TAQUITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #478 on: 03 Dec 2010, 11:47 »

Do I think that Dora will freak out when she finds out that Mart-e-mom is coming to town?

I do indeed.

Do I think the freak-out will be hilarious?

I do, I really do!

agreed 100%+ the crazyness that will ensue when dora finds out is bound to be quite the spectacle
I will mail a flaming box of poop to the first person who suggests I "haven't met the right person".

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #479 on: 03 Dec 2010, 11:51 »

She needs nothing to fear but fear itself. 

And that's usually enough! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #480 on: 03 Dec 2010, 11:53 »

This is going to prove very interesting.

Either Ms Vance is gonna come and kick Dora's ass, or she's gonna drag Marten back home

Or both.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #481 on: 03 Dec 2010, 11:58 »

If Ms. Reed tries to intervene I hope Marten will tell her to let it be, like he did with Faye.

Actually, I think Marten's reaction is quite normal - "I'm an adult, I can deal with a break up on my own and don't need you to come rushing out to help."

And if Mom does overreact, then I can see Marten snapping.

This is the sort of trainwreck I could see coming -- Ms. Reed insists on talking to Dora, even politely, and Marten asks her not to; she does it anyway, and Marten finally yells at his mom, possibly something he's never done (we don't know at this point whether he's gotten confrontational with his mother).  It's the kind of thing that could be both hilarious and wrenching, and would give us more insight into Marten's relationship with his mother.  Whatever Jeph ends up doing with this, I'm definitely intrigued.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #482 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:00 »

Either Ms Vance is gonna come and kick Dora's ass, or she's gonna drag Marten back home

Or both.
I prefer the version where she kicks Marten's ass then drags Dora back home, to be her new protégé, since Marten clearly isn't into it.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #483 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:11 »

Or both.
I prefer the version where she kicks Marten's ass then drags Dora back home, to be her new protégé, since Marten clearly isn't into it.

That could be an interesting twist.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #484 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:16 »

Parent Logic. Protect your own. And when your own happens to be your only one, it tends to amplify it a bit.  I disagree on your thoughts about the relationship coming to an and and your thoughts on Marten, but that's not the point. You could point out how both parties are victims till you are blue in the face, the fact is,  All Marten's Mom is probably gonna hear is "Some Girl hurt my son, my only son. Now I have to hurt her."

Her threat to Faye when she thought that Faye was gonna eventually date Marten, topped with the fact that she's flying out so, uhm, instantly, after hearing the news makes me think that There will be fear spread to Dora. I'd be surprised if there wasn't.  :psyduck: <-my surprise face.

I would be pumped if, in an effort to Save Dora (or assume she'd need saving and panic), Hanners Calls her mom in to help handle this.

What? I can't be the only person who thinks that a Coffee Shop Match to the Death between Marten and Hanners Mom would be awesome.

THERE HAS TO BE OTHERS!
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #485 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:19 »

What? I can't be the only person who thinks that a Coffee Shop Match to the Death between Marten and Hanners Mom would be awesome

Actually, I think you just might be the only one.

I'm looking for the signup page for the 'moar jello wrestling' society, personally.

I am now shipping Marten's mom and Hanners' mom.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

tbones

« Reply #486 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:23 »

What? I can't be the only person who thinks that a Coffee Shop Match to the Death between Marten and Hanners Mom would be awesome

Actually, I think you just might be the only one.

I'm looking for the signup page for the 'moar jello wrestling' society, personally.

I am now shipping Marten's mom and Hanners' mom.
.... This is such a perfect idea!
Joining this ship

tHEfOOL

• Larger than most fish
  • TAQUITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #487 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:26 »

i'm hoping martins mom runs into hanners, then hanners finds out what she does, that would make for some interesting fireworks too :evil:
I will mail a flaming box of poop to the first person who suggests I "haven't met the right person".

akronnick

« Reply #488 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:32 »

I have a theory about how this will play out that is so awesome that I will not describe it here because I do not want it to not happen.

It is that awesome

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #489 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:33 »

I don't think she's flying out due to overprotectiveness. Jeph has said that Dora and Marten have been dating for around a year, meaning it's been that much time since Ms. Reed's seen Marten. I think she wants to help him out through his tough time, and I'm willing to bet she's also just been missing her baby.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #490 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:41 »

To the best of our knowledge Miss Reed didn't go Bosch on Vicky.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
« Reply #491 on: 03 Dec 2010, 12:47 »

*reads thru todays comic*

MWA HA HA HA HAAA!  :-D  :evil:  :-D

*catches breath after manical laughter*

Well well well, quite a nice and suprising twist of events. I'm SO waiting for next week.

Marten never seemed actively invested in the relationship? Yeah I can agree he often let her take charge, but he put effort into their relationship, too. He was never distant with her or uninterested in her advances, wasn't afraid to be open with her, and when she suggested they live together, his first instinct was "I'd love it if you moved in!" (he only started to freak out a little when she suggested he move out and live with her alone, but it's important to note that his initial reaction was positive.) He bought her just-because presents. He wanted them to take a vacation together (after he won the bet with Hannelore's mom) Hell, he asked her why she hadn't taken him to meet her parents!*

Just because Marten's passive doesn't mean he's completely detached or uninterested; he was nothing but open and affectionate towards Dora.

Damn man, couldn't have said it better.

Seriously, on the subject of immediate future, i'm having serious doubts of Mart-e-mom inflicting serious bodily harm upon Dora. But, I think just the plain knowledge that Mart-e-mon is coming to visit, will cause Dora to freak out quite a bit (and there, hijinks will ensue). The question im thinking is: Will Marten give Dora any kind of warning, or does he just let things slide, and see what happens.

I think next week will be quite interesting mix of teh drama and wacky antics.

Ah, almost forgot. Goddamnit jwhouk, why did you have to bring that damn link up. Now i got the damn tune ringing in my mind and had to search for this. (yes, i simply loved that movie, not as good as the comic, but still..)  :-P
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #492 on: 03 Dec 2010, 13:37 »

I'm not saying that Veronica's reappearance is going to mean Dora's untimely demise, mind you.

I am going to say that Dora will DEFINITELY be "scared straight" over the ordeal.

In fact, if Jeph really wanted to do a relationship reset, this little visit could do it before the year would be out.
Just another Joe like 46

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #493 on: 03 Dec 2010, 13:53 »

What an amazing second post.

I don't necessarily agree with everything that azurite said, but yeah, that is a pretty serious burst of insight for someone who appears to be new here.  Did you lurk for a while before now, azurite?
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #494 on: 03 Dec 2010, 13:59 »

(I'm going to hell for that, ain't I)

...among other things.  :-D

I have a theory about how this will play out that is so awesome that I will not describe it here because I do not want it to not happen.

It is that awesome

I have those all the time...but I never tell anyone...so I forget what they were...so I never know if I was right or not.  :lol:
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #495 on: 03 Dec 2010, 14:17 »

Good of you, akronnick, I really hope whatever you are plotting actually will happen. And if it doesn't, please let us know about your theory, will you?  (There should be a puppydog-eyed emoticon here) Also, I sincerely hope that you're not going to hell...   :-)

- - - - - - - -

Sure did azurite write an awesome post, but I do think iduguphergrave has a good point. (I tend to do that a little too often, I know) Marten has not been all that passive, and I feel that he has improved greatly over the length of the relationship. Over the length of the whole comic, actually. I'm guessing there will be interesting talks between Marten and his mom now.

- - - - - - - -

Last but not least:
Ceterum censeo, I badly want the Dora backstory. Which now must happen with the therapist, right?
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #496 on: 03 Dec 2010, 14:18 »

Marten, on the other hand, never seemed actively invested in their relationship.

Error.

Marten was definitely invested in the relationship he thought they had.  Marten doesn't do what I or you might do in a committed relationship, but always seemed willing to do what it would take, as long as he knew what it was.  It was not like he knew that Dora had such an issue with the Faye dynamic.  It wasn't like Dora ever asked him to change his situation, and we can't assume he stressed enough about the relationship for it to occur to him that he should without Dora's input.  Sometimes one doesn't know what one's relationship actually is; sometimes one doesn't know who it really is one has a relationship with.
Ignorance or idealism isn't the relationship killer...refusing to communicate and try to rectify inevitable differences is.

But you're right, in that Miss Reed will in all likelihood not antagonize Dora.  Probably won't even go to see her (though they might bump into each other for dramatic/comedic effect).
Dora made some bad decisions regarding the relationship (which is functionally different from making no decisions ala Marten), and basically ruined the chances of fixing/making it stronger with unearned mistrust that she didn't actually attempt to get over (by, for instance, communicating with Marten or anyone about her needs/fears/whatnot).  But that is her privilege and wont as part of a two-person partnership, especially if Marten's life is stalled so much that he doesn't initiate much in the relationship.

Veronica said that she thinks of Marten as a grown man, and she was perfectly nice to Faye except for the one threat (that was obviously half or more facetious).  The most she could possibly take issue with are Dora's actual actions when she was jealous/paranoid, or specifically only the porn-search (since the others were ameliorated).  Which very few people would think matters that much.

But Dora still needs a reality-check.  Not necessarily a harsh one, but Veronica's would be funny.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #497 on: 03 Dec 2010, 15:17 »

Parent Logic. Protect your own. And when your own happens to be your only one, it tends to amplify it a bit.  I disagree on your thoughts about the relationship coming to an and and your thoughts on Marten, but that's not the point. You could point out how both parties are victims till you are blue in the face, the fact is,  All Marten's Mom is probably gonna hear is "Some Girl hurt my son, my only son. Now I have to hurt her."

Her threat to Faye when she thought that Faye was gonna eventually date Marten, topped with the fact that she's flying out so, uhm, instantly, after hearing the news makes me think that There will be fear spread to Dora. I'd be surprised if there wasn't.  :psyduck: <-my surprise face.

I would be pumped if, in an effort to Save Dora (or assume she'd need saving and panic), Hanners Calls her mom in to help handle this.

What? I can't be the only person who thinks that a Coffee Shop Match to the Death between Marten and Hanners Mom would be awesome.

THERE HAS TO BE OTHERS!
As I said before, Veronica threatened Faye because what Faye was doing could be seen as leading Marten on, using him for a security blanket and a place to stay before Faye found what she thought was a better guy, at which point she'd dump Marten. And I can certainly understand Veronica making that sort of threat. Dora, on the other hand, is clearly doing this to herself, and Marten is merely caught up in her self-sucking maelstrom—she's far more damaged by all this than Marten, who simply needs to learn from the experience. Veronica may not like that this happened, but any mature person looking at Dora and what she's doing to herself could only feel pity, and it was her son's, the grown man, job to get himself out of it or not, not his mother's.

What's going to put the hurt on Dora is whatever she conjures up to punish herself, based on what she sees in Veronica (just like she 'saw' Marten's pining for Faye). Ms. Reed very likely won't have to do a blessed thing. Of course, I suppose she could add herself to Faye's Therapy Threat Squad. That might be genuinely helpful.

Of course, it might be time for a 'Get on with your life and freaking DO something" speech to Marten, which, I suppose might be what someone meant by Marten being 'doomed'. That's a rather of immature way to look at it, though.

Death match? Yes, you're the only one.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2010, 15:21 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #498 on: 03 Dec 2010, 15:29 »

Here is a question, did Veronica ever actually meet Dora in person, except that one time?

Uh, thanks, I should have thought of going a few pages back.

Since there are ships being thrown around wildly, what about Taironica? Think about it. Veronica is just about to bust Dora's ass, then Tai walks in, effectively saving Dora from the UHMC (You hurt my cub)-wrath, because Veronica INSTANTLY falls in love with her and forgets everything she wanted to say. Later, they fight space wizards.

Nope, you aren't. But I think it would be over soon. Hannermom has enough money to have a full body suit made from Mithril or anything of similar quality.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

kiss-o-kill

• Plantmonster
« Reply #499 on: 03 Dec 2010, 15:33 »

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

MY MAIN BITCH IS COMING BACK
yeah um no
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up