THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey guys 2011 is a year with music too.  (Read 115927 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: Hey guys 2011 is a year with music too.
« Reply #150 on: 06 Jan 2011, 09:22 »

Is it bad that I've refused to check out The-Dream because the hyphen in the middle of the name just seems stupid and unneccesary?

I mean, I'm all for bands with weird punctuation (fuckin' love O Pioneers!!!), but The-Dream..nah.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #151 on: 06 Jan 2011, 10:39 »

It seems like the new Circle Takes the Square might be coming out this year after all. Apparently Ritual of Names is the first part of an even bigger project called "Decompositions". Then again, they might just be all talk again, but if you go to their Facebook page you can actually see some studio videos as evidence that they've been doing something this time.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #152 on: 06 Jan 2011, 11:31 »

i refuse to believe they even exist anymore.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #153 on: 06 Jan 2011, 11:58 »

Honestly, they sound less and less like a screamo band, so I don't even know what to expect anymore, haha.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #154 on: 06 Jan 2011, 12:22 »

Is it bad that I've refused to check out The-Dream because the hyphen in the middle of the name just seems stupid and unneccesary?

I mean, I'm all for bands with weird punctuation (fuckin' love O Pioneers!!!), but The-Dream..nah.

Yeah that is a really bad reason to not listen to The-Dream.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #155 on: 06 Jan 2011, 14:26 »

Quote from: http://homepage1.nifty.com/boris/top.html
" Boris new albums in Spring time 2011 "

yeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #156 on: 06 Jan 2011, 15:07 »

I'm not gonna say I've heard a heap of his stuff but what I did wasn't interesting. I get the Prince comparison but it's without the virtuosity or the unpredictability of being batshit insane and not giving a shit, i.e; what makes Prince awesome.

i dunno, dude; there's something really virtuosic about, say, the abyss trilogy?? like the idea of having a 3-song r&b suite that goes from wooshed-synth futurepop to like a fingersnap r&b Song About Fuckin to a downtempo minor key r&b lament with a hard beat where the transitions are so smooth that it might as well be one song, i feel that's some fine songwriting AND if you listened to the last couple of records you can kind of see a glimmer of it but you can't in any way expect the way that "sex intelligent" is followed seamlessly by the remix to "sex intelligent"
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2011, 15:10 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #157 on: 06 Jan 2011, 16:14 »

For balance, I thought that G-Side track was monstrously boring.

likewise.

and i listen to stuff like Low and The Tim and Sam band for fun!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #158 on: 06 Jan 2011, 16:37 »

For balance, I thought that G-Side track was monstrously boring.

likewise.

Likewise likewise

I like the record as a whole though.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #159 on: 07 Jan 2011, 07:26 »

Quote from: http://homepage1.nifty.com/boris/top.html
" Boris new albums in Spring time 2011 "

yeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

.....!!!

"Heavy Rocks"
on Southern Lord

:-o!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2011, 07:29 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #160 on: 07 Jan 2011, 09:34 »

Yeah it has nothing to do with sounds and tempos. To my ears this shares a quality with a lot of chart rap (or at least chart rap from probably up to 5-10 years ago that I hear played a lot when I am in those sort of music situations) in that to me it is sort of listless. Perhaps it is because the artists are consciously trying to sound cool and above it but it seems to be lacking some sort of vaguely defined energy or passion which, were it present, would probably make me a lot more receptive to the music itself.

Another problem I have not particularly with that song but a lot of the other rap Kieffer posts is that I find it very hard to relate to the brash, almost arrogant level of self-confidence and nigh-on smug contentment many of the songs display. Like this is a general thing with pop music and in fact all music, not just rap. Like it seems a lot in the past that when pop songs talked about states of happiness they talked about yearning towards achieving them, regaining them, or about their imminent dissolution. There was often a bittersweet, humanising tone. At some point there seems to have been a cultural shift where, if by no means all then a large number of songs are simply about how great it is to be ensconsed in a state of happiness; how wonderful it is to be a rock star, to be rich, to be in love, to be respected, whatever. I find this hard to relate to not only because I struggle to find happiness in my own life but because such songs lack any dramatic tension which can make us like their protagonist, a pop singer after all being essentially a character or persona of a real person.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #161 on: 07 Jan 2011, 09:39 »

I am enjoying the new Starfucker.

Like, it's not Jupiter explosogasm poppy, but it's a lot more refined and sounds like it's been made by people who've thought about the music they're making instead of purely going "FUCK YES FUN"
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2011, 09:41 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #162 on: 07 Jan 2011, 10:21 »

Like it seems a lot in the past that when pop songs talked about states of happiness they talked about yearning towards achieving them, regaining them, or about their imminent dissolution. There was often a bittersweet, humanising tone. At some point there seems to have been a cultural shift where, if by no means all then a large number of songs are simply about how great it is to be ensconsed in a state of happiness; how wonderful it is to be a rock star, to be rich, to be in love, to be respected, whatever.

what are you talking about dude, loads of bands from the seventies at the most recent were singing about how great their lives are. like you've heard a KISS song before haven't you? or skynyrd's "working for the mca" which is literally about how happy they are to be on a major label? i feel being somewhat alienated by the like constant self-aggrandizement in rap, that's something which like if you can't get past it as a listener it's going to be a huge stumbling block for your appreciation of a lot of artists

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #163 on: 07 Jan 2011, 10:39 »

Yeah but uh, KISS and Lynyrd Skynyrd are incredibly shitty bands.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #164 on: 07 Jan 2011, 10:47 »

oh so you're only talking about the themes in objectively good pop music as opposed to popular music

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #165 on: 07 Jan 2011, 11:30 »

No I'm talking about what I like and why I like it. I used a hell of a lot of qualifiers in what I wrote, being careful to never state anything absolutely or make any pretence at objectivity. I said "Like it seems a lot...there was often...by no means all." Has your rejection of the accepted standards of written english caused a breakdown in your ability to read also?

Also even then it's worth noting that each of those bands most well known songs are in fact about desiring rather than having. It's "I wanna rock and roll all night" and "Sweet home Alabama, lord I'm coming home to you".

Also like I just realised that KISS are the 70's version of the Insane Clown Posse, like the comparison works on so many levels it's a bit scary.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #166 on: 07 Jan 2011, 19:06 »

I think KISS had better facepaint.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #167 on: 07 Jan 2011, 19:35 »

No Psychopathic Records affiliate can even come close to the skeeziness of Gene Simmons.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #168 on: 07 Jan 2011, 22:59 »

The ICP guys at least seem to occasionally express an earnest appreciation for the fan base/community they've had a hand in creating, one that goes at least a li'l beyond liking money and notoriety. Gene Simmons, on the other hand, always seems to treat KISS as being all about him. Normally, that wouldn't bother me a whit-- the degree to which an artist decides to interact with their fans is a personal choice after all. But Simmons very much likes to posture as some kind of uber-capitalist alpha male, and I guess I just find it a bit unseemly on some level that he is so happy to talk about one of the most famously loyal fanbases like they're merely a collection of wallets and spread legs to plunder.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #169 on: 07 Jan 2011, 23:01 »

Oh, and anyone who routinely makes the "People who say I'm an asshole are only saying that because deep down inside they wish they were me," argument should be punched in the dick on sheer principle. Repeatedly.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2011, 23:03 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #170 on: 08 Jan 2011, 11:38 »

No I'm talking about what I like and why I like it. I used a hell of a lot of qualifiers in what I wrote, being careful to never state anything absolutely or make any pretence at objectivity. I said "Like it seems a lot...there was often...by no means all." Has your rejection of the accepted standards of written english caused a breakdown in your ability to read also?

Also even then it's worth noting that each of those bands most well known songs are in fact about desiring rather than having. It's "I wanna rock and roll all night" and "Sweet home Alabama, lord I'm coming home to you".

you were talking about music you relate to, but then arguing that a lot of pop songs of an undefined past period shared a lot of qualities that you find good in music, and arguing that these kids today ain't got that, and while i don't doubt that you've got a lot of pop music from the past that backs up your claim i think it's absurd to suggest that at any point that was the dominant tone, regardless of whether or not it's a subjective quality you appreciate in music. like whether you like it or not you set up an argument within a declaration of subjective taste. i wasn't arguing with your tastes; i was arguing against the argument.

and i really don't think that the use of "wanna" by KISS is about yearning, i think it's more a declaration of intent. i guess that's ~subjectivity~ for you but since most of KISS' catalogue is less about the frustration of desire than it is about its fulfillment i have to express serious doubts that a song about rock and rolling all night and partying every day is an outlier.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #172 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:42 »

DO YOU THINK WE WOULD BE RESTRAINING OURSELVES FROM POSTING IN ALL CAPS IF SOMEONE HAD?

I AM EXCITED GUYS
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #173 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:47 »

ALSO MASTURBATING FURIOUSLY IN OTHER PEOPLE'S HOMES

I WAS RESTRAINING MYSELF FROM THAT

NOT ANY MORE
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #174 on: 13 Jan 2011, 16:26 »

I am like not 100% sure of what is going on with the new akron/family. Unless this is one of those leaks they have been releasing as teasers.

I think there's too much rock in my psych folk.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #175 on: 13 Jan 2011, 17:18 »

new Akron/Family holy shit why was i not informed
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

ThePianoMan

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #176 on: 14 Jan 2011, 18:15 »

The new Wire album is pretty solid, I'd say. Not perfect, but there are some great highlights.

Insignificant

• Plantmonster
« Reply #177 on: 15 Jan 2011, 10:48 »

"A Flat Tent" is wonderful.
"If we get customers like that I quit."

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #178 on: 15 Jan 2011, 17:49 »

The new Crucial Dudes is great

Mein Tumblr

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #179 on: 16 Jan 2011, 12:55 »

Darkest Hour released a new tune that sounds like every Darkest Hour tune, but a really good one.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #180 on: 16 Jan 2011, 20:53 »

Ok, so you guys probably all know about this, but I saw this for the first time today:
A new Gang of Four music video for a new song!
And a new Gang of Four at the end of January!
This song sounded not quite like what I wanted after so long of a wait, but I am still excite
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #181 on: 17 Jan 2011, 05:14 »

That video is a bit depressing. The song isn't bad but the unbuttoned shirts, the leather jackets, the dreadlocks, the microphone sharing, the tantric guitar face all add up to a pathetic catalogue of sadness.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #182 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:57 »

Mogwai is going to be on the radio on BBC Scotland in 10 minutes, so if you're around a radio or a computer have a listen!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #183 on: 18 Jan 2011, 10:47 »

holy cow is that new Destroyer album fantastic! It's insanely weird, out there in a way that reminds me somehow of Bitte Orca but, in a shocking turn, doesn't suck miserably. Listen to it!

Hollow Press (my blog)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #184 on: 18 Jan 2011, 17:45 »

Bitte Orca didn't suck miserably

Mein Tumblr

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #185 on: 18 Jan 2011, 18:38 »

holy cow is that new Destroyer album fantastic! It's insanely weird, out there in a way that reminds me somehow of Bitte Orca but, in a shocking turn, doesn't suck miserably. Listen to it!

I feel the opposite way about these albums. I think I'm just over Bejar.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #186 on: 18 Jan 2011, 21:40 »

That Mogwai album is so fucking good. Best post-rock record I've heard in a while.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #187 on: 18 Jan 2011, 21:45 »

Agreed. I haven't been much into post-rock lately, but I'm definitely really liking Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #188 on: 18 Jan 2011, 23:27 »

New Burzum in March, which I will get based solely on the cover.

Mein Tumblr

KurtMcAllister

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Himmelschreibende Herzen
« Reply #189 on: 19 Jan 2011, 00:21 »

Jens Lekman has started working on his new record and is hoping on releasing an EP sometime this year, according to his blog: http://www.jenslekman.com/records/smalltalk.htm I had a few email exchanges with him over the course of last year, and he's exactly as charming and friendly as you'd imagine he'd be.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #190 on: 19 Jan 2011, 09:44 »

The first song from the Mountain Goats All Eternal Decks

http://stereogum.com/620041/the-mountain-goats-damn-these-vampires-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

I dig it.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #191 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:06 »

new Braveyoung record is streaming and it's awesome.

http://braveyoung.com/

I heard the new Rotten Sound yesterday...I dunno, it's alright but nothing new really.

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer
« Reply #192 on: 24 Jan 2011, 13:54 »

The Joy Formidable have their debut out today. It's really fucking good. It's streaming on Spotify, but for those without here is their myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/thejoyformidable

Most of the songs on the album have been released over the past few years but they just sound a lot 'bigger' on here, better production etc.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 14:26 by KaosPilot »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #193 on: 24 Jan 2011, 14:25 »

new Akron/Family is really growing on me. I'm only on my third listen but it's gotten better each time.

I wasn't intitially impressed because it's pretty different, but I guess all their albums are pretty different. I was surprised with how "Black Keys-y" it is.

Now to see what this new A Hawk and a Hacksaw is all about.  :mrgreen:

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #194 on: 24 Jan 2011, 14:58 »

SMITH WESTERNS.

also destroyer.

also, i'm really excited for lykke li. she is my new idol now
it's time to stop posting

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #195 on: 24 Jan 2011, 15:46 »

ok the new hack and a hacksaw is fuckin awesome also

yeah, 2011, keep it up!

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #197 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:24 »

An email from the Explosions in the Sky mailing list:

Hi Everyone,

We're pleased to announce that our fifth album will be coming out this April.  It has six songs and its called Take Care, Take Care, Take Care.  It was recorded on a pecan ranch in West Texas by our good friend and frequent collaborator John Congleton.  Esteban Rey did the artwork.  The music on it feels different than anything else we've done before and we're very excited for you to hear it.

Anyway, here is the track list:

1. Last Known Surroundings

2. Human Qualities

3. Trembling Hands

4. Be Comfortable, Creature

5. Postcard from 1952

6. Let Me Back In

And here are the release dates:

UK (April 18th)

Europe (April 25th)

US and Canada (April 26th)

Thanks for caring and we hope to see a lot of you this year.

Love,
Explosions

Hollow Press (my blog)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #198 on: 25 Jan 2011, 17:03 »

yessssssssssssssss.

I am thinking of going to Manchester to see them.

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #199 on: 26 Jan 2011, 07:12 »

After The Hawk Is Howling ended up being Mr. Beast: The B-Sides, I am extremely pleasantly surprised by Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will.

"Mexican Grand Prix" is the closest thing we'll probably ever get to a new Trans Am song that's as good as their late-90s albums.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up