Sheer Intensity of Makeouts?
- 4 (3.4%)
Quantum Tunnelling effect
- 9 (7.6%)
Please tell me you did not drink that entire bottle
- 0 (0%)
That was a terrible idea.
- 3 (2.5%)
At least ONE of us isn't gonna remember this in the morning.
- 15 (12.6%)
Did I say anything stupid last night? No, you were fine.
- 6 (5%)
OWLS. Owls? OWLS.
- 38 (31.9%)
So, do you want me to kill Dora for you?
- 6 (5%)
Love you too, mom.
- 3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 13-17 Dec 2010 (1816-20)  (Read 257778 times)

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
Re: WCDT: 13-17 Dec 2010 (1816-20)
« Reply #200 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:07 »

It's basically set in stone that Faye is over Marten and is really, truly with Angus. The problem is, if her now-single roommate is going to sexually harass her when he gets drunk (and Marten will probably get drunk more often now that Dora's not giving him a reason not to) then it's going to be very uncomfortable living with him. And when you consider the reason she went home, cutting short the makeup session, was to check up on him, I imagine that she might be spending a lot more time over at Angus's.

We might actually see the location of the comic trend towards over there anyway. More of the cast is hanging out over there than any place other than coffee of doom.

I don't think it's fair to say Marten's going to keep harassing her when he's drunk, this was a pretty extenuating circumstance and even though he might get drunk more often, I think he's at his lowest level of depression now (someone who's been through an equally bad breakup please correct me if I'm wrong).

But whether he does or not, I agree that Faye's not going to be as comfortable living with Marten from here on out. And if he really doesn't  remember this in the morning, will Faye tell him about it?
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #201 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:09 »

Man...Marten can't take a punch even when he's wasted.  :-P

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

IT BEGINS!!![/Barney Gumble]
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #202 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:09 »

...ho boy  :psyduck: I don't like being that guy who says "I told you so" but...

Poor Marten is in a bad place right now, and unfortunately his drunken state isn't helping things much.

In other news, this is the first time ever that I was in agreement with Faye for punching Marten. You're 1-Infinity Faye, I know you can even the score!

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Oh for fuck sake, NOT AGAIN!

I had something witty to put down here but.....

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #203 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:11 »

Y'know what? Good on you, Faye. That was a bad situation thoroughly defused through the tactical use of violence, and I think that you just saved you two's moirallegiance. I really doubt Marten meant what he was saying--sure, there's a kernel of truth there, but it's distorted and made dark by bourbon's tendrils.

Hopefully, Faye won't resent what he said too much.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

carg1

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #204 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:13 »

One way to interpret Marten's drunken outburst is being a dick, absolutely.  Bluntly, rudely honest ignoring the nuances of the overall situation?  I think thats another way.  Nothing I'd say to anyone myself, even drunkenly I'd hope, but he's taken more than enough of his ration of shit and I think everybody should get one.  Of course I knew he was gonna ktfo'd once he tried touching Faye.  Is it just me or is that the first time we've seen her actually commit an act of violence explicitly?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #205 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:16 »

In other words, is it worse than Marten said this now or that he always thought it but kept it to himself?
Yes. I'm surprised Marten's still conscious, so it's not too surprising that he's peeled away enough layers of maturity to get down to the selfish two-year-old that lurks in us all, but I'm disappointed he couldn't keep his hands to himself when they were clearly unwelcome. While he might not remember the blow, the black eye or bruised jaw might be a hint in the morning that he stepped over the line. Could be awkward, but I think Faye's a "you've had your lumps, let's forget it" kind of girl. She really should learn not to punch to the head though, it's a good way to injure your hands.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #206 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:18 »

is that the first time we've seen her actually commit an act of violence explicitly?

We've seen many (though not for a long time), but those against Marten previously have always been playpunching, however hard - I stand by that because they were not such as to affect their relationship.  The only non-play violence I recall is when Faye threw Angus across the bar for getting far less familiar than Marten just did.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 02:20 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #207 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:23 »

The "selfish two-year-old that lurks in us all" is a wonderful way to put that, Akima.

Are you  sure Marten is still conscious? I was rather hoping he wasn't, dude needs to shut up and Now.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #208 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:24 »

It's also not completely clear what type or level of "violence" Faye used here.

In Panel 3, she has her open hand on Marten's chest, so it's possible that she simply pushed Marten and given his current level of impairment he fell.

However, in Panel 4, Faye has clenched fists and has assumed a fighting stance, so she may have punched him, or she may simply have assumed that stance as a fight or flight response.

One thing is clear, however, if Marten is going to turn to Dr. Daniels to deal with his problems, he's going to have much bigger problems as a result.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
...Sheesh, again?!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

The Dandy Inferno

• Not quite a lurker
    • Matthew Kitchen Photography
« Reply #209 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:32 »

Hoo boy, someone's going to feel that one in the morning.

I'm trying to work out who Marty's going to throw up on in the morning; Faye, Dora, Ms Reed, Hannelore or Pintsize.

Or all of the above.

PureLionHeart

• Plantmonster
« Reply #210 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:36 »

Well, that was a great chapter. Marten's well-earned his drunken jerkitude, so all the power to him to make an ass of himself to his heart's content for the night. In fact, I'd be tickled pink to see him retain consciousness long enough to come to the realization (after his little drunken speech) that like Faye, now Dora will get her issues resolved thanks at least in part to him and the breakup, which will lead her to more healthy relationships in the future. Of course, depending on how drunk he is, this would be the point where the inevitable epiphany kicks in that he exists essentially as a garage pitstop on Relationship Road to repair the women in his life and send them off to sleep with the rest of the gang at Hipster Junction (Sven "quizzing" at the gate). Now to move on to Hanners, and with Anges tied up with our disturbingly strong femme fatale, eventually Marigold.

Seriously though, I pray Faye doesn't take his drunken ramblings too much to heart, since he's in a pretty bad place right now, and mainly, drunk off his damn ass on what could only be worse if it was glowing. It's somewhat hard to stay mad at him for it, especially given his track record, and Faye doesn't seem like the type to hold a grudge over this given past arguments and such.

I'm trying to work out who Marty's going to throw up on in the morning; Faye, Dora, Ms Reed, Hannelore or Pintsize.

Or all of the above.
I imagine the more depressing (and potentially likely, depending on how pissed Faye is) scenario is to wake up all alone in a puddles of the stuff all over the floor.

cyro

• Lurking in your dreams.
« Reply #211 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:37 »

Are you  sure Marten is still conscious? I was rather hoping he wasn't, dude needs to shut up and Now.

If he isn't he's probably been pushed into the "curled up the the fetal position, blubbering like a baby" stage of alcohol depression.

Though honestly, the amount of crap Marten has put up with in general and from Faye in particular, if this is a one time thing, it'll probably just be let go. You'd hope, anyway.

Goddammit!
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 03:26 by cyro »

Craig

• Not quite a lurker
  • Sometimes good with words. Never good with people.
« Reply #212 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:46 »

is that the first time we've seen her actually commit an act of violence explicitly?

We've seen many (though not for a long time), but those against Marten previously have always been playpunching, however hard - I stand by that because they were not such as to affect their relationship.  The only non-play violence I recall is when Faye threw Angus across the bar for getting far less familiar than Marten just did.

Actual violence against Agent Turing in 148
--Arms are for hugging The Dandy Warhols--

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #213 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:53 »

Response to harrassment by Marten in 378 - a totally not dark preview of today.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #214 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:54 »

Warning - while you were reading 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
While I was reading??  I haven't even written anything yet, what's to review???    :psyduck:

Ohhhhh boy.  Marten, you did it this time.  Some things, once they're said, can't be unsaid.  It's gonna take a whole lot for Faye to forgive this, and even then, she'll probably never forget.  I can't even imagine how drunk he must be to say something that harsh, and THEN top it off with... well, that.  That was a perfect storm of assholery... something we didn't think Marten capable of, but there ya go.  I mean, sometimes you do something hurtful, and sometimes you say something hurtful - but all at the same time?  Man, Marten, when you blow shit up, you go all OUT.  I mean... wow.  Who's Faye's gonna lean on now?  She doesn't know Angus well enough yet, and she sure as hell can't tell Dora about this.  Who's left?   

For the record, I do hope that Faye says something to him about it, even if he doesn't remember, because there's obviously some unresolved stuff on Marten's part that needs to get hammered out if they're gonna salvage this thing. 

Ok, ok, maybe I'm going too hyperbolic.  I'm sure they'll be able to get past this eventually.  But it'll be a long time before Faye's comfortable drinking with Marten again. 
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #215 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:02 »

After tonight, it'll be a while before Marten's comfortable drinking again. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #216 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:18 »

Oh geeze. The first part is dickish, but understandably drunk-and-upset levels of dickish, but the second part... well, that's a kind of asshole I didn't really think Marten had in him. Except maybe that one part where he called Vicky a psycho ex bitch or whatever. Apparently he still has some Nice Guy tendencies he has to work on.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #217 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:23 »

Wow. He finally actually deserved her hitting him.

Don't be too pissed at him, Faye. Dude's in pain. Well, now he's really in pain, but you know what I mean.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #218 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:28 »

Note to self: worry hats are a useless defence against girly punching.

The Dandy Inferno

• Not quite a lurker
    • Matthew Kitchen Photography
« Reply #219 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:29 »

Well, that was a great chapter. Marten's well-earned his drunken jerkitude, so all the power to him to make an ass of himself to his heart's content for the night. In fact, I'd be tickled pink to see him retain consciousness long enough to come to the realization (after his little drunken speech) that like Faye, now Dora will get her issues resolved thanks at least in part to him and the breakup, which will lead her to more healthy relationships in the future. Of course, depending on how drunk he is, this would be the point where the inevitable epiphany kicks in that he exists essentially as a garage pitstop on Relationship Road to repair the women in his life and send them off to sleep with the rest of the gang at Hipster Junction (Sven "quizzing" at the gate). Now to move on to Hanners, and with Anges tied up with our disturbingly strong femme fatale, eventually Marigold.

Seriously though, I pray Faye doesn't take his drunken ramblings too much to heart, since he's in a pretty bad place right now, and mainly, drunk off his damn ass on what could only be worse if it was glowing. It's somewhat hard to stay mad at him for it, especially given his track record, and Faye doesn't seem like the type to hold a grudge over this given past arguments and such.

Or all of the above.
I imagine the more depressing (and potentially likely, depending on how pissed Faye is) scenario is to wake up all alone in a puddles of the stuff all over the floor.

Actually, my new prediction is follows: Ms Reed drags Marty off to Cod to force him and Dora to talk about their issues. Marty then throws up on Dora's shoes and passes out. Hannelore faints.

PureLionHeart

• Plantmonster
« Reply #220 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:36 »

Actually, my new prediction is follows: Ms Reed drags Marty off to Cod to force him and Dora to talk about their issues. Marty then throws up on Dora's shoes and passes out. Hannelore faints.
And Dora pisses herself in fear, too, considering I don't believe she's been informed of the arrival Ms. Reed. Hell, Faye might be sweating a few bullets herself, when Ms. Reed queries on the gang on why her son is missing some teeth. :D

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #221 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:36 »

Or all of the above.

You forgot "...just as the health inspector walks in."
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #222 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:39 »

She may have knocked him out because she's worried that he's right.  I'm not saying that he is right, or even that he'll think so when he wakes up, but it's probably something that she's considered.

She may have gone with good intentions, but she really did not handle that well.

Did not handle what well? The punching? I have always hated when she punched Marten in earlier strips (NOT play punching, regardless of how she "intended" it and the fact that Marten put up with it--it would regularly leave serious bruises that lasted several days and were apparently painful, let alone the times he has indeed knocked him to the floor), but in this case I'd agree it was self-defense. And probably best for Marten to just end the night there, rather than running the risk of whatever else he might do.

Or did you mean the entire Marten situation? Because while she did not handle the lead-up, what with the sometime-flirting and the occasional taking-advantage of his attraction to her, she handled Marten's confession as well as one could be expected to. No person in the world owes it to another person to be romantically interested in them. Neither do they owe it to them to be in an appropriate state to be romantically receptive. Someone (let's say person X) can be not ready for a relationship when person A asks, but then be ready for a relationship with person B, and while that may not be "fair" that is not something done to person A, but simply the way things are. It has to do with person X, not person A. In other words: it's not about Marten.

Also, the way he brought up "my girlfriend dumped me" definitely sounds very dismissive of the actual value of his relationship with Dora. It makes it sound like he just wanted a girlfriend, any girlfriend, and basically saw Dora as the means of getting "there"--ie, her value to her was just her interchangeable role as "girlfriend" rather than as Dora, and now he's pissed that he's no longer in possession of "girlfriend," which is something he seems to feel entitled to for being a "nice guy" (as far as his words here--not saying he would put it that way if he were sober).  Obviously, the fact that he got to spend over a year in a stable relationship that gave him a lot of pleasure while Faye's situation was far less comfortable isn't entering his drunk mind here.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 03:42 by JackFaerie »

akronnick

« Reply #223 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:40 »

You forgot "...just as the health inspector walks in."

That really would be getting close to rocks fall, everyone dies territory.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #224 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:44 »

Faye, Dora, Marten, Pintsize, The Health Inspector

Please order these characters in the order in which you think they're going to crumble under the piercing gaze of Veronica Reed.

akronnick

« Reply #225 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:50 »

It's unlikely that Pintsize will fall under anyone's gaze for a while, considering he's duck taped to the back wall of the freezer, and hidden by a bag of frozen peas.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #226 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:57 »

Ah, Marten has officially resumed his role as the strip's Chew Toy. Complete with punchings.

Boy is there gonna be some blowback for this. Drunken bitterness or not, I HIGHLY doubt Faye is gonna forgive Marten easily both for what he said and tried to do. He will be paying for this night for some time to come, and I ain't talking 'bout the hangover either.

Perhaps he should take an extended vacation back home with mom (in other words RUN FOR HIS LIFE!!). Eh, wait, he can't be the Chew Toy if he's gone...
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 04:17 by themacnut »
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #227 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:03 »

It's unlikely that Pintsize will fall under anyone's gaze for a while, considering he's duck taped to the back wall of the freezer, and hidden by a bag of frozen peas.

If you're suggesting that Pintsize is laying the ground for a frozen fleshlight, peas and large bra related practical joke then I think that's in poor taste.

Polonius

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #228 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:03 »

Marten I think has just had a life collapse.  there are times, when we think we have our lives in order and figured out, that when things change for the worse, we realize how little control we really have.  Most people go through it sophomore year of college.  A lot go through it in their mid to late 20's.

Marten has a dead end job, he's in a go-nowhere band, his silver medal girlfriend dumped him, and he's realizing that his "best friend" that he spend nearly a year fixing up is totally ready to sleep with other guys now.  What does he lose by blowing up his life and starting over?

Originally, I was going to focus just on his relationship to Faye.  What does he get out of it?  What makes her valuable to him?  In other words, in what ways would his life be worse if she moved out and never saw him again?

I'd imagine Marten is going to work on getting all parts of his life in order.  That, or just use Sven and Tai's connections to start blazing a path through the local college girls.

And as for faye forgiving him, I think the problem isnt' what he said.  The problem is that what he said was more true than false.  And, not to sound like an apologist, but wouldn't Faye need to apologize for, I dunno, knocking marten out?  I don't know about your circle of friends, but violence is worse than words.

Boomslang

« Reply #229 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:03 »

Eh, wait, he can't be the Chew Toy if he's gone...

I find your lack of imagination hilarious. If Jeph sends him back home, it will not be blissful relaxation in store for poor Marten.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #230 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:06 »

what the hell? I didn't think Marten would ever let that kind of thing happen, but, reading back, he sometimes got kinda really drunk, and didn't handle the situations... the best way.

And does this confession mean he just put up a happy face when Faye had her "relationship" with Sven? As far as I remember, he even defended her against Dora, but also mentioned his not being angry had something to do with the hot, hot Dora-sexin'.

Boy is there gonna be some blowback for this. Drunken bitterness or not, I HIGHLY doubt Faye is gonna forgive Marten easily both for what he said and tried to do. He will be paying for this night for some time to come, and I ain't talking 'bout the hangover either.

Eh, I don't think it will be that hard. Faye's honest, she doesn't put up with that kind of behaviour, but she also knows that she owes Marten big time, and that he's in a real bad place now. She'll be there for him as she was for Dora, angry or not.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #231 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:10 »

But she will  be angry.  This is not something easily forgotten. 

Well, not when you're the sober party. 

She'll forgive him soon enough, but won't forget. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #232 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:17 »

She may be angry, but she wont stew, methinks, and she knows what's said is alcohol-influenced. Faye has become very good at just getting issues out there and confronting them.

I think, based on what she did with the other "I chose Angus over Marty D:" scenario, where she was honest and contrite about making Marten jump through hoops rather than just telling him up front about her father's suicide, she will probably confront Marten with what he said, once they're both ready, and ask him very quietly how much he means that.

If Marten deserves half the positive read we give him, he will drop his own defenses and admit to the girl that is plainly his Goddamn moirail and deserves his trust pretty implicitly that he is hurting so Goddamn bad right now and of course he didn't mean that shit.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #233 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:21 »

Ah, Marten has official resumed his role as the strip's Chew Toy. Complete with punchings.

Perhaps he should take an extended vacation back home with mom (in other words RUN FOR HIS LIFE!!). Eh, wait, he can't be the Chew Toy if he's gone...

The only possible way this could get truly dark is if Jeph has Marten staggering back up in tomorrow's strip and unleashing even more verbal stuff and/or an actual retaliation (or attempt at one, pulling back to let fly a return punch and tripping and face-planting, then throwing up and laying passed out in his own puke).

That, or having actual, serious injuries result from this punching Faye gave him. I'm talking actual concussion territory, cracked cheekbone/jaw, something.

Either way, Faye moves out and Marten has to finally get his own round of therapy, because this Nice Guy stuff that peeked out has always been there (as I've been repeatedly telling people in the various discussions of Marten's personality over the years here).

EDIT: 2 replies posted while I typed this.

She may be angry, but she wont stew, methinks, and she knows what's said is alcohol-influenced. Faye has become very good at just getting issues out there and confronting them.

I think, based on what she did with the other "I chose Angus over Marty D:" scenario, where she was honest and contrite about making Marten jump through hoops rather than just telling him up front about her father's suicide, she will probably confront Marten with what he said, once they're both ready, and ask him very quietly how much he means that.

If Marten deserves half the positive read we give him, he will drop his own defenses and admit to the girl that is plainly his Goddamn moirail and deserves his trust pretty implicitly that he is hurting so Goddamn bad right now and of course he didn't mean that shit.

Marten meant every single word, it just took the bourbon for him not to care anymore about the consequences of actually saying what he meant. He's wrong, we know this, but this is what he truly thinks of what has been going on and I'm actually kind of surprised Jeph himself threw out such a blatant "Yep, Marten is still the Nice Guy he was back in strip #1" billboard for everyone arguing over his personality.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #234 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:22 »

moirail

Where does this word come from, and what does it mean or imply?  I've never known Google to be so useless!

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #235 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:26 »

Apparently it means a kind of guardian/friend/trusted one. Had to google that one, too, see

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #236 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:28 »

Thanks - I ignored the links with the word Troll, 'cos I was thinking of Internet-type trolls; silly me.

cyro

« Reply #237 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:34 »

Marten meant every single word, it just took the bourbon for him not to care anymore about the consequences of actually saying what he meant. He's wrong, we know this, but this is what he truly thinks of what has been going on and I'm actually kind of surprised Jeph himself threw out such a blatant "Yep, Marten is still the Nice Guy he was back in strip #1" billboard for everyone arguing over his personality.

Eh, yes and no. I've no doubt he means it to some degree, but he deliberately phrased it to be a dick. I doubt he genuinely believes he's the sole reason Faye got over her "boy issues" but he acknowledges that he was a decisive factor in the matter and is now rubbing it in her face, by applying it the the Nth power.

moirail

Where does this word come from, and what does it mean or imply?  I've never known Google to be so useless!

The only place I've stumbled across the word is TvTropes (which is pretty much a mandatory read.) Near as I can allued to it's kind of a Living Emotional Crutch, with some sexual connotations hanging in the air.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #238 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:36 »

You know, 1818 brings up an interesting point.

What if Dora was right about her insecurities?

Then again, this is Marten, and going with the flow of staying with Dora would've been the easier option that he probably would've taken...

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #239 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:39 »

Living emotional crutch...? Not how I meant it.  :psyduck:

The read I got on the word was "one's absolute best friend", the person who's with you through thick and thin; or at least that's the ideal meaning of the word. I think it encapsulates Marten and Faye's state pretty well, post-actual romance.

The term comes from Andrew Hussie's excellent "Homestuck", and the Alternian Trolls' romance concepts.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

cyro

« Reply #240 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:42 »

Living emotional crutch...? Not how I meant it.  :psyduck:

The read I got on the word was "one's absolute best friend", the person who's with you through thick and thin; or at least that's the ideal meaning of the word. I think it encapsulates Marten and Faye's state pretty well, post-actual romance.

The term comes from Andrew Hussie's excellent "Homestuck", and the Alternian Trolls' romance concepts.

Ah, that's just the page I found it on:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LivingEmotionalCrutch

Oh crap! Now I have to sink 5 hours of my life to reading every link on that page again... :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 04:51 by cyro »

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #241 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:49 »

NOOOOOOO! Don't link to the tvtropes, now I'll lose at least an hour of reading.. it has alreadly.. too late. :psyduck:

Then again, this is Marten, and going with the flow of staying with Dora would've been the easier option that he probably would've taken...

Hm, I don't think Marten's really into her, he just can't end such feelings (Dora and Marten even fought about that once, cue, "go back to your other five girlfriends")

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #242 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:51 »

Oh, good, someone opened Pandora's Box for me...
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #243 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:52 »

I think they threw it in there on account of that's how it tends to get employed, and why moirallegiances tend to break down--it's supposed to mean you take a deep interest in each other's well-being, that you look out for one another emotionally as well as being best friends.

Faye's trusted Marten to look after her in the past, and it's high time he does the same for her.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #244 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:55 »

I think they threw it in there on account of that's how it tends to get employed, and why moirallegiances tend to break down--it's supposed to mean you take a deep interest in each other's well-being, that you look out for one another emotionally as well as being best friends.

Faye's trusted Marten to look after her in the past, and it's high time he does the same for her.

Yeah, shame he just fucked that right on up, though.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #245 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:59 »

Pffffffffft !!!!!!!

Seriously !!!!!!

Hitting a drunk dude who can barely stand, let alone defend himself ?

Thats like hitting a blind person. Or a cripple. Or a child.

Faye reached a new level of completely and utterly uncool.
Carpe Diem

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #246 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:02 »

Pintsize can never have enough porn.
Well ... not really true, he obviously has harddrive limits.
Carpe Diem

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #247 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:03 »

I'm highly tempted to just post a youtube link to M. Bison's "Yes! Yes!" video...but I don't think anyone does that sort of thing on these forums.

I'll just say I found this development highly entertaining and, at the same time, reasonable considering his situation and degree of inebriation. Pretty sure he'll regret it when he sobers up and pretty sure Faye will be understanding, cause she's been generally supportive throughout this whole ordeal.

Keep it up, Jeph.

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #248 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:05 »

Yes, he did fuck up, but I don't think Faye won't forgive him.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #249 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:07 »

Pffffffffft !!!!!!!

Seriously !!!!!!

Hitting a drunk dude who can barely stand, let alone defend himself ?

Thats like hitting a blind person. Or a cripple. Or a child.

Faye reached a new level of completely and utterly uncool.

You suck at trolling, dude.

Yes, he did fuck up, but I don't think Faye won't forgive him.

That line about how at least one of them wouldn't remember what happened indicates otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up