Sheer Intensity of Makeouts?
- 4 (3.4%)
Quantum Tunnelling effect
- 9 (7.6%)
Please tell me you did not drink that entire bottle
- 0 (0%)
That was a terrible idea.
- 3 (2.5%)
At least ONE of us isn't gonna remember this in the morning.
- 15 (12.6%)
Did I say anything stupid last night? No, you were fine.
- 6 (5%)
OWLS. Owls? OWLS.
- 38 (31.9%)
So, do you want me to kill Dora for you?
- 6 (5%)
Love you too, mom.
- 3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 13-17 Dec 2010 (1816-20)  (Read 257678 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: WCDT: 13-17 Dec 2010 (1816-20)
« Reply #550 on: 16 Dec 2010, 00:23 »

can we stop comparing "who has the most compassion for a friend" dickhead points here?

they dont have to be equal, they are friends not acquaintances, and if marten really wanted her to be there while he began drinking he would have called or texted her saying "i could use a friend right now"
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #551 on: 16 Dec 2010, 00:23 »

Alright, just clarifying, but there are viewpoints here other than "Marten deserved to get punched" and "Faye is a terrible friend", right?  Because neither of those ring true to me.

If you ask me, I think the situation is "Marten deserved to get punched" and "Faye is (still) his best friend because she punched him."

Sometimes, we all do stupid shit. At those times it is our friends and loved one's job to set us right. With force if necessary.

Marten was doing some stupid shit, and whatever his intention, he tripped Faye's self-defense protocol, and Faye's defense protocol is "flatten the motherfucker already."

Marten needed to get flattened, his behavior, from drinking the whole bottle to making a pass at Faye was wa-ah-ah-ah-ay out of line.

Faye knocked some sense into him, and he'll have the bump to prove it.

She did not do this out of anger, she did it out of necessity.

Will she regret it? Maybe, but it's more likely that she'll regret that it was necessary.

Will this hurt Marten and Faye's friendship? We'll see.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #552 on: 16 Dec 2010, 00:27 »

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posed, but has anyone brought of the double standard?  For instance, let's say after Faye broke up with Sven, she got drunk.  Really drunk.  (She probably did, but bear with me)  She then goes to Martin, who's still with Dora at the time.  For whatever reason, she decides to make a move on Marten, and perhaps gets a bit handsy and makes similar comments that Marten made.

And Marten steps back and knocks her out.  Is this acceptable?  Fuck no.

Am I saying the situations are the same?  No.  But it's a little disturbing how people seem to think Faye's punching Marten was not, at the very least, a gross overreaction.

:psyduck: Psyduck agrees, I'm sure.

Hey look this isn't an argument that has been brought up like 5,000 times every time Faye is violent against someone male and the reverse wouldn't be acceptable.

This horse? It isn't dead, it's just lazy, that's why I keep hitting it with this whip.

The talk at CoD was prior to Marten realizing there was actually a problem, and even then their 'talk' was Faye saying 'WOW you're bitter'.  Gold medal for understanding to: not Faye.  And despite your strawman, there's one key way she could have helped Marten out.  'Sorry Angus, I can't come make out with you tonight.  Marten needs me, I'm going to drink with him and Hanners.  How about we get together tomorrow night instead?"

Again, this is like Marten saying "Oh, sorry that you're worried about Angus, Faye, but I'm making out with Dora in here. I'll come talk to you in a few hours" and slamming the bedroom door in her face after she knocked that one night.

When you are pretty deliberately casting characters' actions in a negative light to service your opinion, maybe you shouldn't throw around terms like "strawman"! Just a thought!

Here's a thought: Faye was blocked out by Marten earlier in the day, but she knew she would be playing the emotional crutch when she got home. Have you ever "been there" for someone in this state? It is so not fucking fun. It makes you feel like you are the one going through a breakup, and it sucks, and maybe, just maybe, she wanted to spend time with Angus and build up positive emotions before tending to the emotionally wounded.

Also, when someone drinks an entire fifth of bourbon, it is eminently reasonable to go "holy shit you drank the whole fucking thing", because, holy shit, they drank the whole fucking thing. That's dangerous, is what it is.

Of course, at this point I'm pretty sure this has been said already. Fuck it. I ain't posting another word till next comic is up.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #553 on: 16 Dec 2010, 00:29 »

Of course, at this point I'm pretty sure this has been said already. Fuck it. I ain't posting another word till next comic is up.
quothe the raven: nevermore!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #554 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:19 »

Heh, OWLS!

Good ol' Faye.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

akronnick

« Reply #555 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:22 »

Awww, Faye. :cry:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

redragon5000

• Plantmonster
« Reply #556 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:26 »

It's always the wise ones...I mean, they're nocturnal. They can be all 'Ninja-head-ram' and fly off into the night before you even know you got hit.  :psyduck:

mira

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #557 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:27 »

I liked this. Faye gave Marty the grace he deserves, even if I'm not sure he deserved the "owls".
This Space for Rent

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #558 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:28 »

Faye confirmed for Bro-Tier.  :mrgreen:

And might I say that not only am I happy we've moved onto the next day In-Comic, but even just out of bed, Faye is looking extra pretty today!  :-)
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

steveh11

• Plantmonster
    • steveh11's story page
« Reply #559 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:29 »

Another +1 on the Fayometer.

I sometimes wonder how Jeph keeps track of everything that's happened in this comic, and returns to references so well.  I mean, Comic 150?
"Nature always obeys Her own Laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #560 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:30 »

I sometimes wonder how Jeph keeps track of everything that's happened in this comic, and returns to references so well.  I mean, Comic 150?
maybe he uses the random button he installed.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #561 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:31 »

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: this fucking thread  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

(referring to comments about the comics before the OWLS comic)
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #562 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:32 »

Gah!

Half of me went "Awwww, what an adorable chaser to last nights mess"

the other half went "No, Faye, don't avoid confronting Marten about Douchefest 1818! Drag it out into the open and beat it to death!!"

Although, on reflection, there are probably much better times to have this talk with Marten.

Also, I loved the art in todays comic. Its really fantastic!

tio

« Reply #563 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:36 »

That looks like a scar on Faye's right breast. Where is that from? Or am I just crazy?

The Dandy Inferno

• Not quite a lurker
    • Matthew Kitchen Photography
« Reply #564 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:38 »

It could have been Vespavenger! We've not seen her for a while, and she could leave a mighty concussion ;)

Warning - while you were typing 3 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Rawr!

redragon5000

• Plantmonster
« Reply #565 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:39 »

That looks like a scar on Faye's right breast. Where is that from? Or am I just crazy?

If I remember correctly, that was a scar from the car accident. I could, however, remember completely incorrectly. If so, thousand apologies to you and an Internet cookie for the person who corrects me.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #566 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:41 »

Okay I realize me just going "this fucking thread" is not very constructive when it comes to explaining to you guys what makes me so  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: about it. Here goes:

Marten did not "sexually harass" Faye. What the fuck is wrong with you? Saying "let's make out" to a friend who's not interested is certainly a bad idea, inappropriate, etc., but if you honestly think something that (relatively) harmess qualifies as HARASSMENT I do not understand how you can get through your daily life without constantly suing people or pressing charges.

Yes, Faye is violent towards Marten. No, it wouldn't be acceptable if the roles were reversed. I. DON'T. FUCKING. CARE. It's part of how they interact. Is it healthy? No, although Marten seems like he's generally willing to put up with it. STOP FUCKING PULLING THE DOMESTIC ABUSE CARD ON THIS YOU IDIOTS. IT'S A COMIC.

I'm not responding to any replies on these subjects.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #567 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:42 »

I'm glad to see Jeph had both Marten and Faye act like the adults they are in this installment, instantly rendering the last 6 pages of discussion pointless. Good show Jeph  :angel:

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
OWLS! FUCKING OWLS!

Also upon further realization that the new reply was in fact Jeph's I have one meek statement to make: Thank fucking god. See that folks? You ended up dragging him into your bullshit. Can we stop screaming at one another about what qualifies as sexual abuse and get back to making jokes about fleshlights and dick brooms? I feel a little weird when I  have to be the one requesting this.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 01:46 by Kazukagii »
I had something witty to put down here but.....

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #568 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:42 »

I hope Faye plans to talk to someone about this, Dr. Corrine at least, because if she just holds it in it's going to come up again at a later time...most likely at a quite inopportune moment.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #569 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:44 »

Fuckin' owls man, you can't trust them. They're like green space-born Welsh ninjas.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #570 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:46 »

Also, Jesus Christ, people say DUMB SHIT when they're incoherently drunk. That comic was not some nefarious attempt by Marten to guilt Faye into fucking him. HE DRANK AN ENTIRE BOTTLE OF BOURBON. HIS BRAIN WAS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY.

goddamnit see this is why I stopped posting in these threads for years, the more I have to explain the most basic shit to some people the angrier and angrier I get

akronnick

« Reply #571 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:53 »

You should know the answer to that question before posting.

It's kind of a big deal.

Enduar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ale Iacta Est
« Reply #572 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:55 »

There, there Jeph. The vast stupidity of the internets can hardly be represented by this forum alone. 'Tis but a small taste.

Also I believe we have a good chance of seeing a wide spectrum of opinions around here, many of which you won't want to see, primarily because people seem to be trying to cover all possible reasoning as to the traits and actions of your characters.

That spectrum goes from hell to heaven- shit to gold.

The most contested points will be those argued most, that's why the shit is always stands out while the more reasonable assumptions are less apparent.

Just the nature of discussion. I think we've got a lot of people here who like to exercise their logic, regardless of certain other uh... Details.

:psyduck: Indeed.
Listen to my music!
Dead Planet Series

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #573 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:57 »

OWLS!
Everyone is fond of Owls
Except for mice and shrews
and Simon Cowells

And now Marten, I suppose. Thanks, Faye.

And, seriously, thanks Faye.

Even if you're not real

Weebl rocks on!
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 02:01 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #574 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:00 »

Also, Jesus Christ, people say DUMB SHIT when they're incoherently drunk. That comic was not some nefarious attempt by Marten to guilt Faye into fucking him. HE DRANK AN ENTIRE BOTTLE OF BOURBON. HIS BRAIN WAS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY.

goddamnit see this is why I stopped posting in these threads for years, the more I have to explain the most basic shit to some people the angrier and angrier I get

Okay, well at least it hasn't been locked yet.

And I have to say, Jeph, that several people made the exact same point you just did, including myself, although it was in another thread.

I guess what I'm saying is that you really don't need to explain yourself, plenty of us are doing it for you (and doing it right).

Whether or not anyone listens is another story entirely, and I'm afraid it's always going to be that way!  You're not dealing with the general public in here, the people who felt compelled to make a post like the ones you're complaining about are the people who had strong reactions, and so their posts will be biased automatically.  No amount of shouting by reasonable people will change that, but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't continue trying to inject some reason into the discussion.

It's just that it probably won't help at all!

Edit: fixed voice, subject/verb agreement, and some other confused grammar, and ninja'd Owls.  Been up all night grading...
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 02:15 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

danwhite89

« Reply #575 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:01 »

Thank you, Jeph.

I've only just joined this forum and it's only really to say that some people take things far to fucking seriously here eh. I'm not meaning to white knight or owt but some of the discussions here really take the fun out of what's a bloody comic.

As it happens, I tried to kiss my friend last night while horribly drunk. Whether the comic was subconsciously on my mind or not I do not know, but it happens. You get drunk, you do daft things, I don't think every single nitty gritty bit of detail needs to be over-analysed eh. No offence to anybody but that borders on being creepy.

cyro

• Lurking in your dreams.
« Reply #576 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:04 »

All together now people: D'aawwwwwwww!

Wait; "OWLS?" Isn't that a Harry Potter referenc... OHGODRUNFORYOURLIVES!

Boomslang

« Reply #577 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:06 »

Apparently, I should just stop posting anything that might be controversial, because I think I accidentally hit all the points Jeph would prefer I not talk about.

Combined with the fact that I, according to several people, can't convey any position other than an extreme (and extremely stupid one) even when that's really not what I meant, I'm just going to apologize to everyone, especially you, Jeph, and police what I post more thoroughly.

Edit: And I'm not being sarcastic. I'm not used to being 'that guy', and it's not a good feeling.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 02:13 by Boomslang »
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #578 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:07 »

Just noticed the subtle art in panel 2. We can see Faye's back in the mirror: what Marten sees. So when Marten asks "Did I say anything stupid?" We as the viewer see two things: Faye's back in the mirror (what Marten sees) and a little aside glance that seems to say "Oh yeah you did" (What we are seeing).  Then she puts on her best bluff-smile and turns to face Marten, a good cover story about vicious owls on the tip of her tongue.
I had something witty to put down here but.....

mpak87

« Reply #579 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:09 »

It's odd that this question was the one that got me to finally stop lurking and register, but I would imagine part of it has to do with the book that Jeph just published. It contains all of the earliest strips, and while I'm certain he is intimately familiar with his entire back catalog, working with those more recently probably has them fresher in his mind than they would be otherwise. Or he was just thinking back to the excuse that Faye used the last time that she knocked someone out and needed to tell them something.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #580 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:11 »

Yay ! Comic !

And its about what I expected to happen.

And it seems we wont already get to see Ms Reed this week.
Carpe Diem

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #581 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:13 »

Apparently, I should just stop posting anything that might be controversial, because I think I accidentally hit all the points Jeph would prefer I not talk about.

Combined with the fact that I, according to several people, can't convey any position other than an extreme (and extremely stupid one) even when that's really not what I meant, I'm just going to apologize to everyone, especially you, Jeph, and police what I post more thoroughly.

Boomslang, just reread your posts before hitting "send".  Read it like you're a disinterested third party.  Read it like a business e-mail, and you'll catch most of what can be taken the wrong way, not to mention the spelling mistakes...

Oh, nevermind, the spelling thing is me, not you! 
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 02:16 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster
« Reply #582 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:13 »

Now let's see if Marten can be a Smart Boy and not press the issue!

Good to see (albeit not surprising) that Faye took the rational approach to the situation - Marten's behavior was out of character and prompted by emotional trauma, so he gets a pass.  She won't bring it up, Marten can't bring it up, so everyone can just move the hell on.

Looking forward to seeing Marty's first day of constructively dealing with the breakup!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #583 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:13 »

It is probably impossible to avoid a forum such as this having a certain amount of over-analysis going on.  It would in general be helpful if people would read enough of what's already been written to avoid simply repeating the same arguments, possibly already answered, which have been put before.  And think three times  before posting yourself.

The point about sexual harassment is slightly more complex, as some of us are in countries where, in some circumstances, and with people being sufficiently vindictive, Marten's behaviour could  have been enough possibly to take him to court.  Jeph may not be so aware of that (I'm guessing), and so sees that discussion as stupid, when there's actually a basis for it for some people.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #584 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:14 »

Some of it is certainly that I had to obsessively reread the first 300 strips while putting together the first book. But a lot of it is just that I remember lots of the weird little details from the archives, even if I don't remember what specific strip they're from. It's the same way I can do 1800 comics without repeating a joke* (as far as I know)- I just remember whether I've done a gag before.

(the owl reference was a totally accidental callback)

*having said this, I am now guaranteed to plagiarize myself by accident sometime in the next year. Fuck.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #585 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:15 »

It is probably impossible to avoid a forum such as this having a certain amount of over-analysis going on.  It would in general be helpful if people would read enough of what's already been written to avoid simply repeating the same arguments, possibly already answered, which have been put before.  And think three times before posting yourself.

The point about sexual harassment is slightly more complex, as some of us are in countries where, in some circumstances, and with people being sufficiently vindictive, Marten's behaviour could have been enough possibly to take him to court.  Jeph may not be so aware of that (I'm guessing), and so sees that discussion as stupid, when there's actually a basis for it for some people.

Oh, no, I'm well aware that in certain situations that could be construed as criminal behavior. But in this particular one I fail to see how any reasonable human being would define it as out-and-out sexual harassment.

Marten and Faye are best friends. They know each other incredibly well. There is no way Faye, at the point where she is right now, would EVER think Marten's actions were anything more than drunken idiocy. She tends to go overboard when punishing that idiocy, but I think today's strip makes it fairly obvious she doesn't think Marten would've raped her or something horrible like that.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 02:17 by jeph »

The Dandy Inferno

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #586 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:18 »

But Marten wasn't wearing a tie! I smell fallacy!

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #587 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:20 »

...but if you honestly think something that (relatively) harmess qualifies as HARASSMENT I do not understand how you can get through your daily life without constantly suing people or pressing charges.

I've worked with people like this at Harbec and Webster Tool And Die.   They exist and they make life a living hell for everyone around them.

Imagine not being able to say "good morning, here is your work assignment" without being hauled into HR.    "Unwelcome advances."    Can't give them instructions, because everything you say is an innuendo and it makes them feel "uncomfortable" and creates a "hostile environment."

Frankly people who behave like that are the WORST sort of asshole and do not deserve employment.  

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #588 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:21 »

But in this particular one I fail to see how any reasonable human being would define it as out-and-out sexual harassment.

Sadly, there are unreasonable people in the world.  Not so few, either.  But agreed that you have given no reason the think that Faye could be among them.

But that part of the discussion simply moved on to different views of Marten's behaviour in the abstract, rather than what Faye's reaction would be.  This may feel like over-analysis to you, but it's hard to avoid some subject creep.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 02:24 by pwhodges »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #589 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:21 »

It is probably impossible to avoid a forum such as this having a certain amount of over-analysis going on.[/i]

For what it's worth, I don't care if people overanalyze things. I mean, I think it's stupid, and they're wrong 99% of the time, but that's kind of what forums are FOR. It's the stupid arguing, the creepy character-fetishization, and the "I hate character X no matter what and will drag this into every single discussion" idiocy that I have a problem with.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #590 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:21 »

It is probably impossible to avoid a forum such as this having a certain amount of over-analysis going on.  It would in general be helpful if people would read enough of what's already been written to avoid simply repeating the same arguments, possibly already answered, which have been put before.  And think three times before posting yourself.

The point about sexual harassment is slightly more complex, as some of us are in countries where, in some circumstances, and with people being sufficiently vindictive, Marten's behaviour could have been enough possibly to take him to court.  Jeph may not be so aware of that (I'm guessing), and so sees that discussion as stupid, when there's actually a basis for it for some people.

Oh, no, I'm well aware that in certain situations that could be construed as criminal behavior. But in this particular one I fail to see how any reasonable human being would define it as out-and-out sexual harassment.

Marten and Faye are best friends. They know each other incredibly well. There is no way Faye, at the point where she is right now, would EVER think Marten's actions were anything more than drunken idiocy. She tends to go overboard when punishing that idiocy, but I think today's strip makes it fairly obvious she doesn't think Marten would've raped her or something horrible like that.

Jeph, thank you. You're a wonderful human being. Just.....thanks  :-)
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #591 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:23 »

Edit: And I'm not being sarcastic. I'm not used to being 'that guy', and it's not a good feeling.

To be fair, Booms, you were not one of the people perpetuating the idea that alcohol was truth serum, Marten had a nefarious plot to get in Faye's pants, or the incredibly tired idea that Faye is a violent monster who beats Marten for amusement.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster
« Reply #592 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:26 »

Jeph, thank you. You're a wonderful human being. Just.....thanks  :-)

Seconded.  I know you hate coming in here, but some of us do appreciate the effort you're taking to calm the more fringe-based of the Wild Mass Guessing, and we all appreciate your l33t h4x0r comic-drawing skills!

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #593 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:28 »

Way to go, Faye! +10 empathy, +10 wisdom....

Let's take a tally of what she has accomplished lately.
  • A friend in need to Dora.
  • Handling her relationship with Angus carefully. Some might complain that she has put him into a
    15-base system, but I think she is rationing their make outs in order to make sure that she won't ruin anything by freaking out. Progress there!
  • A friend in need to Marten. OWLs  :-D :-D :-D. Marten surely remembers what owls mean in any context involving Faye. That is, after he recovers from Das Hangover.

Well done, Jeph.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #594 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:39 »

I cant help but feel I should repeat posting what I posted before - there is no way marten could POSSIBLY do ANYTHING to Faye.

She's simply STRONGER than him.

See, for example: Curse my puny indie-rock physique! (and we talk about Hanners here, the probably most lightweight of all characters on QC !)

Compare to: Faye, you're a cute, intelligent girl who can punch harder than any of the jocks who used to beat me up. You're fuckin' terrifying.
Carpe Diem

The Dandy Inferno

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #595 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:41 »

It is probably impossible to avoid a forum such as this having a certain amount of over-analysis going on.[/i]

For what it's worth, I don't care if people overanalyze things. I mean, I think it's stupid, and they're wrong 99% of the time, but that's kind of what forums are FOR. It's the stupid arguing, the creepy character-fetishization, and the "I hate character X no matter what and will drag this into every single discussion" idiocy that I have a problem with.

You mean like Hanners/Tai/Pintsize?

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #596 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:42 »

I like the first panel, you can tell Faye is debating what to do. It's quite cinematic for one frame (at least in my mind)

I wish Jeph didn't ONLY come here to lay down the law, but that's because I want to party with the entire TopatoCo crew in the future. Right now it's kinda creepy anonymously following them in Twitter and comics.

Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Pika_power

• Plantmonster
« Reply #597 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:44 »

I cant help but feel I should repeat posting what I posted before - there is no way marten could POSSIBLY do ANYTHING to Faye.

She's simply STRONGER than him.

See, for example: Curse my puny indie-rock physique! (and we talk about Hanners here, the probably most lightweight of all characters on QC !)

Compare to: Faye, you're a cute, intelligent girl who can punch harder than any of the jocks who used to beat me up. You're fuckin' terrifying.
You forget: Women have a weak spot. If grabbed on the upper arm by a man, they are incapacitated.

I must say, I prefer this sober-but-irritated Jeph to the Jeph that posts shock images and porn.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #598 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:46 »

don't get used to it

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #599 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:49 »

It's the stupid arguing, the creepy character-fetishization, and the "I hate character X no matter what and will drag this into every single discussion" idiocy that I have a problem with.

This week there's already a lot less of it, and I hope the trend continues.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Up