Sheer Intensity of Makeouts?
- 4 (3.4%)
Quantum Tunnelling effect
- 9 (7.6%)
Please tell me you did not drink that entire bottle
- 0 (0%)
That was a terrible idea.
- 3 (2.5%)
At least ONE of us isn't gonna remember this in the morning.
- 15 (12.6%)
Did I say anything stupid last night? No, you were fine.
- 6 (5%)
OWLS. Owls? OWLS.
- 38 (31.9%)
So, do you want me to kill Dora for you?
- 6 (5%)
Love you too, mom.
- 3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 13-17 Dec 2010 (1816-20)  (Read 257803 times)

PureLionHeart

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT: 13-17 Dec 2010 (1816-20)
« Reply #650 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:21 »

And this, laddies and jellyspoons, is why you don't drink a whole lion at once.

When the wine goes in, strange lions come out.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #651 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:27 »

What about the argument that Marten's behavior while drunk is indicative of some pretty deep running issues he needs to get sorted out (and the whole Nice Guy sub-argument here and in the characterization thread)?

Dammit, Odin, you're such a one-note monkey!  

Look, you keep saying "read your other posts", so I did.  Several of them.  Many are filled with calling other forumites morons or trolls, most have specious arguments gleaned from what must be a scanning of the archive, since you seem to have no grasp of a lot of the details of the story.  People who point out your fallacies are ignored, and ... well, I'm getting tired of it, really.  

Just ignoring the preponderance of the evidence and running around screaming "Marten's a spineless NiceGuyTM" does NOT  make it true.  

You obviously haven't been reading my other posts like you claim (this one is from this very thread):

Whether Marten is still a Nice Guy or not remains to be seen, but at the very beginning of this comic he pretty much was. Jeph may have redefined him recently, but we haven't actually seen it outside of his interactions with Hannelore and other people he has no romantic interest in.

That was a pre-1818 comic comment.

Now go back, and really read  the damn comics.  I know it may be a challenge, but I think you'll find it's worth it.  You also might want to try listening to other people.  You don't have to agree with them, but if you actually listen to what they say, you may be able to refute them without simply calling them names.  

Or you can go get a job at Fox news.  

Either way, it should keep you busy for a while.  

I've already read them, thank you. You may want to take your own advice and go back to the very beginning of the comic, read the first, oh, 500 strips or so and then come back and seriously post that Marten did not start off in the comic as the stereotypical Nice Guy. Tuesday's comic just showed it all still brewing there under the surface (with the bitter side of the Nice Guy unleashed by copious amounts of alcohol!).

I think Marten realizes that kind of thinking is unhealthy, but is suppressing it rather than trying to deal with it, which is why he acted the way he did when he got shitfaced.

As for calling other people on here morons, I already said in the conduct thread that I'd cut back on that, so unless you've got examples of me doing that since then bringing it up again isn't gaining you anything (never mind the borderline slur in your opening remark, pot/kettle, etc.).
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 09:31 by Odin »

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #652 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:27 »

OK, look, I dunno how many of you guys have ever actually hung out with owls before, but I'm telling you now: Owls are stupid. Dumb as a sack of rocks covered in feathers. Really. They didn't get all that stealth shit by thinking about it, and now they have it, they have even less of a reason to try too hard.
I've seen one fall off its perch (the same one it'd been using for a year or so) because it took one foot off to adjust its position and missed when putting it back down. They also have the most amazing knack for getting "stuck" in places they walked into (and complaining about it loudly) because despite being able to turn their heads around almost 180° they have no idea how to walk backwards.

I can totally see a slightly confused owl mistaking Marten for a small rodent and having a go.

This post just gave me the weirdest sense of deja-vu...

Sigh...

When I have dreams that end up coming true. I wonder why it's always mundane stuff like this?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #653 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:34 »

I will probably get banned for this, but that is stupid. That is exactly the situation when I was raped. So, a great big thanks to you for making it a joke.

I fail to see the joke you are referring too.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #654 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:38 »

Tuesday's comic just showed it all still brewing there under the surface (with the bitter side of the Nice Guy unleashed by copious amounts of alcohol!).

I dunno, when the author himself explains it as 'stupid shit' born from nothing but alcohol and writes off the idea that it's indicative of any feelings he harbors deep down, I'd defer to him.

Also, have I gone mad or was that Wednesday's comic? With finals this week, I've completely lost track.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 09:50 by someone1074 »

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #655 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:54 »

Tuesday's comic just showed it all still brewing there under the surface (with the bitter side of the Nice Guy unleashed by copious amounts of alcohol!).

I dunno, when the author himself explains it as 'stupid shit' born from nothing but alcohol and writes off the idea that it's s indicative of any feelings he harbors deep down, I'd defer to him.

Read this article (PDF) for a bit more clarity on why that particular argument is fallacious at best (especially in an environment that was created solely for the posting of critical pluralism perspectives on the comic). http://www.ou.edu/ouphil/faculty/irvin/Intention.pdf

Also, have I gone mad or was that Wednesday's comic? With finals this week, I've completely lost track.

Could be, I've only had about three hours sleep since Monday so the last day has been kind of a blur.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 09:57 by Odin »

someone1074

« Reply #656 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:09 »

I glanced through that article but it seems to be that it would be more applicable to a body of work where the author is unable to provide any information on that work.

But I get the general point. Words can have different meanings so anyone can interpret them as they see fit. As a result, it's not right to say any one person's interpretation of a literary work is wrong, no matter what that interpretation is.

I have to respectfully disagree with your interpretation (as does the author) and the article itself, but I guess it's nice in that this article can defend anyone's thoughts on any literary work.

EDIT: I will note that you say the environment is designed for such discussions, and I do agree, but we've seen that such talk is somewhat limited. The wildest interpretations have not been treated kindly here.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 10:37 by someone1074 »

Superkid11

• Obscure cultural reference
  • New teeth!
« Reply #657 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:15 »

My only disappointment is that the burbon did not bring him closer to Z̥̗̤͆ͦ̔̋ͬa̲̱͔̎͂l͈̭͍̤̱̞̫̠͖͊ͫ͟g̼̝̃̉͒̓̚o̰͓̞̝͙͓̫̤̝̅̈́̊͆.
His only sanctuary.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #658 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:18 »

<snip> nested quotes for brevity

You obviously haven't been reading my other posts like you claim (this one is from this very thread):

Whether Marten is still a Nice Guy or not remains to be seen, but at the very beginning of this comic he pretty much was. Jeph may have redefined him recently, but we haven't actually seen it outside of his interactions with Hannelore and other people he has no romantic interest in.

That was a pre-1818 comic comment.

Now go back, and really read  the damn comics.  I know it may be a challenge, but I think you'll find it's worth it.  You also might want to try listening to other people.  You don't have to agree with them, but if you actually listen to what they say, you may be able to refute them without simply calling them names. 

Or you can go get a job at Fox news. 

Either way, it should keep you busy for a while. 

I've already read them, thank you. You may want to take your own advice and go back to the very beginning of the comic, read the first, oh, 500 strips or so and then come back and seriously post that Marten did not start off in the comic as the stereotypical Nice Guy. Tuesday's comic just showed it all still brewing there under the surface (with the bitter side of the Nice Guy unleashed by copious amounts of alcohol!).

I think Marten realizes that kind of thinking is unhealthy, but is suppressing it rather than trying to deal with it, which is why he acted the way he did when he got shitfaced.

As for calling other people on here morons, I already said in the conduct thread that I'd cut back on that, so unless you've got examples of me doing that since then bringing it up again isn't gaining you anything (never mind the borderline slur in your opening remark, pot/kettle, etc.).

Well, I must've missed that comment, and I do appreciate your restraint in that area.  I guess I was just reminded of it when I was going back through some of your less recent posts!

But you keep on making the same argument over and over again, despite how many people refute it.  I even agreed with you in one thread, Marten did indeed start up the comic as a Nice GuyTM, but developed past that pretty quickly within the first few hundred comics.  The character is constantly and consistently being fleshed out, and he really is just a nice guy.  Sure, there are probably some evil thoughts rattling around in his mind, there are in all of ours, but that doesn't make them his thoughts, nor even his genuine feelings on the matter.  A few people (with a great deal more experience about alcohol than I have) have posted their thoughts on the matters of extreme drunkenness in this very thread, and while "in vino veritas" is a popular idea, extreme drunkenness does nothing to reveal truth.  Marten's actions were those of someone trying to forget their pain in a thoroughly unhealthy way, and rationalizing some pretty base animal impulses.  It was not a peek into his deep character, or inner psyche, or anything of the sort.

We'll probably always disagree on this point, simply because you're disregarding what I and other people have pointed out to you repeatedly, and that  just doesn't bode well for you ever presenting a reasonable argument to support your point of view.

Which means you probably won't ever be able to change mine.

Again, my apologies for calling you on past behaviors.

See you 'round!
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 10:22 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #659 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:23 »

Why is that?  Why do the "good guys" get shit on so much harder when they screw up, no matter how rarely it happens?

Higher expectations.

People grow used to a punctual worker being punctual. An honest person being honest. A high achiever... uh... achieving. And thus, with those high expectations comes a far higher fall when the person makes a mistake.

Nobody expects a priest to flip off someone on the highway.

mira

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #660 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:27 »

This just keeps getting stranger and stranger. People should stop projecting their own problems and experiences on these characters and, if you must, analyze them instead based on the context of the story.  This is not dismissing your pain or your experience if you've been sexually assaulted. I am simply saying that this comic is not attempting to make any statement about sexual assault or crime. Note, no assault happened, characters acted in ways they normally do (whether you like that she socked him or not) and things have moved on in the story.

Jeph said nothing to demean anyone's experience as a victim of sexual assault. Seriously? Talk about out of character. Don't know the guy but I definitely have seen NOTHING to lend itself to that interpretation.

Please, remember we are talking about the comic in here, not commenting on your real life experiences.  Sometimes stories don't match reality and they definitely don't always match our personal realities.  So, in commenting on his creation, this comic, he was in no way, I'm sure, meaning to make some statement about your situation.
This Space for Rent

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #661 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:30 »

Read this article (PDF) for a bit more clarity on why that particular argument is fallacious at best

But that article doesn't quite say it's fallacious at best; it presents a comparison and discussion of five or so different points of view on intentionalism, with a clear bias away from actual intentionalism.  It is easy to see how authors can get annoyed at critics when they argue that their work has a different meaning from that they intended, and all the more so when they have been persuaded (as in this case) to explain what the intended meaning is.

When I started to study Physics at university, I discovered an alternative called Engineering Science, and changed to it.  I did this because it was more closely concerned with the real world I live in.  Similarly, I have little time for this kind of philosophical argument, which I regard rather as a modern-day equivalent of counting the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin.  You may see this as a failing in me - but I think it's not uncommon!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

adrialexi

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #662 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:34 »

Thank you for your comments. It is not the comic as much as the discussion here that bothers me. As this situation is too triggering and all of the "any reasonable/rational/sane" statements are the main cause, I will disengage from this thread.

Superkid11

• New teeth!
« Reply #663 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:37 »

This just keeps getting stranger and stranger. People should stop projecting their own problems and experiences on these characters and, if you must, analyze them instead based on the context of the story.  This is not dismissing your pain or your experience if you've been sexually assaulted. I am simply saying that this comic is not attempting to make any statement about sexual assault or crime. Note, no assault happened, characters acted in ways they normally do (whether you like that she socked him or not) and things have moved on in the story.

Jeph said nothing to demean anyone's experience as a victim of sexual assault. Seriously? Talk about out of character. Don't know the guy but I definitely have seen NOTHING to lend itself to that interpretation.

Please, remember we are talking about the comic in here, not commenting on your real life experiences.  Sometimes stories don't match reality and they definitely don't always match our personal realities.  So, in commenting on his creation, this comic, he was in no way, I'm sure, meaning to make some statement about your situation.

This, oh god, a million times this. Jesus christ.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #664 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:38 »

*having said this, I am now guaranteed to plagiarize myself by accident sometime in the next year. Fuck.

Not sure if it is legally possible to plagarize yourself.

I'm afraid such unethical practices are not unheard of in the academiae. For the purpose of making your list of publications look longer than it actually is. I am uncertain as to whether it is illegal, i.e. whether you could be tried for that in a court of law, but it is most certainly frowned upon.

It has been brought to court (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fogerty_v._Fantasy), in one of the stupider things ever to occur in the judicial system, along with one of the most badass - Fogerty won the case by literally bringing a guitar to the witness stand.

I've scanned, and I dunno if I missed it, but how would Veronica's warning to Faye on harming Martin apply to this situation?

As long as Marten doesn't know, no one else ever will!  That's why she didn't tell him about it the next morning - she's covering her bases!

...and being a good friend at the same time.  Two for the price of one.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #665 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:41 »

This just keeps getting stranger and stranger. People should stop projecting their own problems and experiences on these characters and, if you must, analyze them instead based on the context of the story.  This is not dismissing your pain or your experience if you've been sexually assaulted. I am simply saying that this comic is not attempting to make any statement about sexual assault or crime. Note, no assault happened, characters acted in ways they normally do (whether you like that she socked him or not) and things have moved on in the story.

Please, remember we are talking about the comic in here, not commenting on your real life experiences.  Sometimes stories don't match reality and they definitely don't always match our personal realities.  So, in commenting on his creation, this comic, he was in no way, I'm sure, meaning to make some statement about your situation.

This, oh god, a million times this. Jesus christ.

Hey, you know what might be cool?  Not dogpiling the girl who got triggered.

No, really. It's been said over and over again.  I'm sure she got the picture. Telling her about how she's overreacting and how her feelings are wrong are hardly helping things.  I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, but let's just all calm the hell down and move on, okay?  Please?

Superkid11

• New teeth!
« Reply #666 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:45 »

People projecting their own problems onto this strip has been practically a staple of comic discussions. I was quoting mira more in response to that general trend and not that specific one, and I assumed that's generally what they meant other than that mention.

... still yeah sorry. Most cases are less justified/much whinier than that. I came in late here.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 10:47 by Superkid11 »

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #667 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:47 »

Could be, I've only had about three hours sleep since Monday so the last day has been kind of a blur.

You mean like this:-P
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #668 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:54 »

Ahhh, beat to the link!  Coises.

Digitized

• Not quite a lurker
  • Just your regular Quagsire quagging about.
« Reply #669 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:58 »

... I like Faye. I like Marten. I'm glad their friendship isn't ruined. Can't wait for tomorrow's comic.

god sometimes reading this thread is like pulling out every single one of my teeth slowly, but i can't stop. it's an addiction.
Hey guys, what's your zombie plan?

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #670 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:00 »

I glanced through that article but it seems to be that it would be more applicable to a body of work where the author is unable to provide any information on that work.

But I get the general point. Words can have different meanings so anyone can interpret them as they see fit. As a result, it's not right to say any one person's interpretation of a literary work is wrong, no matter what that interpretation is.

I have to respectfully disagree with your interpretation (as does the author), but I guess it's nice in that this article can defend anyone's thoughts on any literary work.

EDIT: I will note that you say the environment is designed for such discussions, and I do agree, but we've seen that such talk is somewhat limited. The wildest interpretations have not been treated kindly here.

If the weather is as shitty as they claim on the news this coming Saturday, I'll have nothing better to do, so I'll take the time to go through and dig up the specific comic entries that formed my previous arguments about Marten's character and post them (with the extra-comic references to support my interpretations) since the entire contention people have with what I'm posting is that they just don't reach the same conclusion reading the same comic. If it ends up being sunny out, then I'll be out doing something fun, though.

My only disappointment is that the burbon did not bring him closer to Z̥̗̤͆ͦ̔̋ͬa̲̱͔̎͂l͈̭͍̤̱̞̫̠͖͊ͫ͟g̼̝̃̉͒̓̚o̰͓̞̝͙͓̫̤̝̅̈́̊͆.
His only sanctuary.

Agreeing that this would have been far more amusing.

Read this article (PDF) for a bit more clarity on why that particular argument is fallacious at best

But that article doesn't quite say it's fallacious at best; it presents a comparison and discussion of five or so different points of view on intentionalism, with a clear bias away from actual intentionalism.  It is easy to see how authors can get annoyed at critics when they argue that their work has a different meaning from that they intended, and all the more so when they have been persuaded (as in this case) to explain what the intended meaning is.

Right, I said it is fallacious at best (given the environment this discussion is taking place in, this goes back to the Conduct thread and the other discussion we had about whether the expectation for people to not discuss meanings other than the author's intended one is unreasonable); the fact that you seem to have interpreted the post you quoted to mean that the article linked supported that stance illustrates my own argument quite nicely, though!

When I started to study Physics at university, I discovered an alternative called Engineering Science, and changed to it.  I did this because it was more closely concerned with the real world I live in.  Similarly, I have little time for this kind of philosophical argument, which I regard rather as a modern-day equivalent of counting the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin.  You may see this as a failing in me - but I think it's not uncommon!

I'm usually the same way, when I'm discussing any topic other than a work of fiction, so it isn't a failing so much as a need to realize that the context for these types of discussions taking place here is actually 100% valid so long as people proposing interpretations are willing to enumerate the points leading up to their conclusions (which I plan to do Saturday at some point, probably late evening unless weather keeps me indoors all day).

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #671 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:13 »

*having said this, I am now guaranteed to plagiarize myself by accident sometime in the next year. Fuck.

I'm afraid such unethical practices are not unheard of in the academiae. For the purpose of making your list of publications look longer than it actually is. I am uncertain as to whether it is illegal, i.e. whether you could be tried for that in a court of law, but it is most certainly frowned upon.

It has been brought to court (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fogerty_v._Fantasy), in one of the stupider things ever to occur in the judicial system, along with one of the most badass - Fogerty won the case by literally bringing a guitar to the witness stand.

Thanks for the reminder of that - but, since the judge ruled that Mr. Fogerty was indeed drawing inspiration from himself and that this was perfectly permissable it ain't plagarism.

And as for padding your list of published works, that would be something completely different from plagarism (copying other's ideas without properly crediting them, theft for the literal minded).
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

someone1074

« Reply #672 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:17 »

Odin, I didn't mean to say that your interpretations are wild if that's how you took the end of my post there. I understand that you have your reasons for coming to the conclusions you did, hence the 'respectful' disagreement.

I'll admit, I'm curious to see more on that though, so here's hoping you find the time to elaborate.

galarant

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #673 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:20 »

w00t Faye minus bra again!

I think Jeph is having too much fun drawing that  :psyduck:

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #674 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:25 »

Owls??!

The Owls??

Why is it I suddenly have the theme from Twin Peaks running though my head.

"The Owls are not what they seem."    :-D

And Braless Faye - Fanservice Rulz.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

shengokai

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #675 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:30 »

You forget: Women have a weak spot. If grabbed on the upper arm by a man, they are incapacitated.

I dunno man, having been a practicing martial artist for some 19 years, I know some female practitioners who treat that as their "berserk button". I've seen one practitioner straight up drive a "date" into the ground because he tried to "escort" her away. She damn near broke his wrist IIRC.

Anyway, about the Faye/Marten mishmash that happened previous strip: that was, indeed, the only way that situation could turn out. Marten was drinking, had a lot of repressed anger, and it was going to come out on someone. I figured it would be Faye because Dora's not coming back, and Faye made a point to check on him. Given their pre-history, I expected something like this.

I also expected Faye to knock his block off at some point or another, because Marten's been riding the drunk-train to fucksvilel, and Faye knows where that kind of crap leads. Also, "reformed-Faye" still resorts to violence as a means to force someone to shape up: if she wasn't going to hit him, she might have slapped him into reality, verbally or physically. Either way, it was coming.

That being said, did Jeph enhance Faye's assets while she was in the tank top? Do her breasts suddenly gain mass sans bra? Or maybe I like the whole "pajama pants and tank top look". PAGING  DR. FREUD!

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Goddamnit guys!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #676 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:34 »

Shhh - don't go overboard! :wink:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #677 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:37 »

Ahhh, beat to the link!  Coises.

'Tis a favorite of mine.  :-)
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #678 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:37 »

I love how every time I refresh the page, your icon is different.  That's such a cool script.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #679 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:38 »

What, me??!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #680 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:43 »

It is intended as a general comment; sorry if it appears I misunderstood you.

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
« Reply #681 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:45 »

D'awwww. For a loooooong time, it was so good to read todays strip, which didnt include huge amounts of drama/misery/sadness, but what actually made me smile.

In my opinion, thats what you call true friendship. Being there for each other in time of need (and maybe occasionally decking someone out, to stop them doing something they would surely regret  :wink:). And NOT rubbing his nose in it, after the fumes had dissolved from Mr Suuure-I-Can-Drink-the-Whole-Bottle's head. Call me a big ol' softy, but DAMN, that was simply heartwarming. And also, damn those evil owls.  :-D  :-D (Yea, i got the same feeling as some forumites here, that Marten knows somethings up, but has the sense to leave it be and trust Faye on this one)

But the darker side in me is wondering, will Marten do something to one of the key players in the whole shenanigans. Pintsize. The evil lil bastard, who didnt start the whole fiasco, but surely was a major contributor. Shall we see some kind of retribution, something like new OS, some help with blogging or maybe some breakfast service duty? Any guesses?

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Hooboy, not this again.....
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #682 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:49 »

That's such a cool script.

Barely even a script.  In a VirtualHost section of my Apache httpd.conf, I have:
Code: [Select]
    RewriteMap AviFile rnd:C:/WebPages/cassland.org/html/images/Avatars/AviList.txt
    RewriteRule /images/QCavi.jpg /images/Avatars/${AviFile:QClist}.jpg
AviList.txt contains lists of files, one of which is labelled QClist.  The only restriction is that all the files need to be the same type so that Apache can send the right metadata (which is matched to the file type in the request).
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 11:56 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #683 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:58 »

You're right, but surely it's better to at least glance at the article before replying about it?

Smoot

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #684 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:11 »

I want to take a second and thank Jeph for clarifying what he doesn't like about the forums, rather than just leaving it be with "These forums!" and a shload of pokemon.

Seriously- before I joined the forums, all I knew about 'em was that he hates them. It's pretty much the first thing a non-fan or new fan hears about when they look into the comic's creator. It said so on the caption under QC Forums. It's referred to in the topquote of the Trope page, last I checked. Pretty much the first thing I saw when I got here was Jeph trolling his own forums.

I kinda got the idea he was slightly upset about something. A little. It was a rather subtle hint, but it got through.
Good to know what it is, instead of just... whatever all that was supposed to do.

Also, I'm kind of old-fashioned, but I believe in authors. When an author says "this is what I meant by that", or "That's not what I intended", I am usually going to take the author's word for it. (Exception: Fahrenheit 451 and Ray Bradbury. ;)). When someone thinks they know the story better than the guy who's actually telling it, I tend to think that other guy should shove off and go tell a story himself if he knows so much. (This is in no way impinging on interpretation of how society influences authors- but when it comes to stories currently being told, I stick to 'listen to/read/watch it first, before picking it to shreds, and assume competence on the creator's part" as a default.

Anyway, Owls, and Not-Dead Marten. Moving on:

That was about the most just, friend-like thing Faye could've done under the circumstances. I'm not disposed to take "...but I was drunk!" as a pass on things, but from what was depicted, Marten was drinking way outside his weight class, and probably wasn't even aware of what he was saying or doing. (Whether he 'really meant' them or not is up in the air, but my main thing is- I'm with Faye on this one, it was a spectacularly dumb thing to do.)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #685 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:20 »

I've spent the entire day in bed with a high grade fever, so this is really the first chance I've had to read the comic, and all I can say is....

Owl attack, hungover and Veronica has probably landed at the airport.....Today is going to be a veeeeeeeeeeeery long day for our young mister Reed.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #686 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:29 »

Thank you for your comments. It is not the comic as much as the discussion here that bothers me. As this situation is too triggering and all of the "any reasonable/rational/sane" statements are the main cause, I will disengage from this thread.

Heh, congrats, you're in the same boat as Jeph. ;)  :angel:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #687 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:33 »

Why did I know what strip you were linking to before I even clicked on the link?
Just another Joe like 46

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!
« Reply #688 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:33 »

That being said, did Jeph enhance Faye's assets while she was in the tank top? Do her breasts suddenly gain mass sans bra? Or maybe I like the whole "pajama pants and tank top look". PAGING  DR. FREUD!
You were repressed as a child, always made to wear very formal clothes, even to bed, by your opposite sex parent.And so, in your adulthood, you are attracted to the "messy" type. This is completely opposite to your parent because you deny your sexual feelings for that parent. You have repressed this therefore. And you can't deny it, for the theory is unfalsifiable. Even though repression doesn't actually happen;there are many proofs that people with "repressed" memories are forgetful and prone to suggestive questioning.

*Not to nag on Sigmund-he did a lot for Psychology, and he practically invented the idea of the subconscious, but some of his ideas could have used a bit of unbiased peer review.
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #689 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:38 »

See, that was the problem: Siggy didn't have any peers to review his theories.
Just another Joe like 46

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!
« Reply #690 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:41 »

He had a few;Jung comes to mind. But as I recall, they had a bit of a falling out.
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff

ink slinger

« Reply #691 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:48 »

John Fogerty was once sued for essentially plagiarizing himself. The courts found in his favour, so I suspect that you are correct.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #692 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:49 »

So, anyone able to figure out what Rays on Pinion has to do with this strip? Was it what he was listening to when he finished drawing, or is it something more? I've heard the song, but I can't figure out how it fits the comic.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #693 on: 16 Dec 2010, 13:01 »

Pinions are a type of feather, found on bird wings.

Including the wings of Owls.

Rays are for rays of sunshine, the clear morning sunshine of a new day after a very dark night.

Rays on Pinion, sunshine on the wing, flying into a new day after clobbering a drunk in the night...

I dunno, just talking out my hat.

Ask the author.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #694 on: 16 Dec 2010, 13:05 »

I hadn't remember what pinions were (I always hear them referred to as pinfeathers), that makes sense. Rays on Pinion is a Baroness song, and if I remember right Jeph put the album that it was on on his top 10 for the year it came out. That would be enough of a link for a comic title, I think.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

ducktape

• Plantmonster
« Reply #695 on: 16 Dec 2010, 13:06 »

A very nice thing for Faye to do, given the circumstances.  Marten probably doesn't remember and probably never will - drinking that much bourbon and getting knocked down would do that to you - and this way Faye can bring it up later on her own terms when Marten is in more of a state to discuss it (i.e. Not Hung Over).

I have a feeling we won't see Veronica tomorrow. I think a cliffhanger is much more likely, given that it's Friday and it's Jeph we're talking about.

O noes.  :psyduck:

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #696 on: 16 Dec 2010, 13:38 »

Friday:

marten eating a banana. pintsize shows up and slips on the peel.  :psyduck:

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #697 on: 16 Dec 2010, 13:43 »

And as for padding your list of published works, that would be something completely different from plagarism (copying other's ideas without properly crediting them, theft for the literal minded).

That is the old problem. A more recent problem has been researchers publishing nearly identical pieces of one's own work in many places. Obviously with altered titles. Other related problems also have emerged, and the community is discussing ethical guidelines...

@The Duke. Thanks for the link. Will read it.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

galarant

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #698 on: 16 Dec 2010, 13:47 »

did Jeph enhance Faye's assets while she was in the tank top? Do her breasts suddenly gain mass sans bra?

I think they are just gaining mass over time, regardless. Remember when she was first introduced to the strip? She has gone from an A-cup to a D-cup in about 3 years! If this trend continues she is going to start developing back problems pretty soon...

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #699 on: 16 Dec 2010, 13:48 »

Owls??!

The Owls??

Why is it I suddenly have the theme from Twin Peaks running though my head.

"The Owls are not what they seem."    :-D

Ninja'd you!

But what are these space owls that some people speak about :? Ok. I will google it one of these days.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18   Go Up