Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which album did Mom bring?

The decent one
- 6 (8.5%)
The one with nothing but the pics of Marten in the bath
- 16 (22.5%)
The most horrifically embarassing one ever created without Photoshop and Pintsize
- 24 (33.8%)
Not sure, but Marty's not gonna be happy after his nap
- 23 (32.4%)
None, that's a mislabelled one of her's
- 2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT Dec 20-24, 2010 (1821-1824)  (Read 113019 times)

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
Re: WCT Dec 20-24, 2010 (1821-1824)
« Reply #50 on: 20 Dec 2010, 06:57 »

Married at 23 while still in college.  Now 28 and newly-divorced.

I'm sure there are people who marry young for the right reasons.  I wasn't one of them.

As for the comic:  Oh, God, Mom...  :oops:

gathayah

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #51 on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:10 »

This is amazing.
Delicious bourbon
Finest of all the spirits
A drunken haiku

Coco

• Emoticontraindication
  • You can't be mad at me, I'm just a dog.
« Reply #52 on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:14 »

This thread is fascinating, glad to know I'm not the only one who married young and that some of you had success with it. My husband and I are 25 and 26 respectively and just passed our one year anniversary in September. Though as of May we will have been together for seven years, so I've known him my entire adult life. We got married when we figured that we were financially sound (if only weakly so) and when we realized that we had already seen one another at our worst. Of course, I never dreamed that I would only be 25 when doing laundry and cleaning the bathroom in the same weekend became the most romantic thing a man could possibly do for me.
It took three years for bad lawyers to put an innocent man in jail for the rest of his life and 15 years for good lawyers to set him free.
"Getting to this point was way harder than it should be in a free country."

Cammy

• Plantmonster
  • Huzzah!
    • Cammy's Comic Corner
« Reply #53 on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:38 »

Dear God, today's comic was hysterical! It's one we can all relate to when it comes to parents. While my own mother didn't mention my penis size, she did mention my dad's infront of my friends one day while we were filming for a class project. "MOM!" indeed.

I'm currently 23, but don't see myself settling down until my early 30's. Then again, they say you don't see marriage coming, so for all I know, I'll wake-up in Vegas next month married to a nice Amish girl named Emily, and the child is mine.

But for now, I'm enjoying the single life. "I'M SINGLE AGAIN! OH BEHAVE!"
Cammy's Comic Corner
with
CammyKnoxville
every
Sunday
Cammy's Comic Corner - Holiday Gift Suggestions

MaxS

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #54 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:39 »

I've been getting really sweet "classic QC" vibe lately (after the 'darker' break-up afermath ones) and it's not only because Marten's mom returned..
Great!

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #55 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:59 »

Not married, so I am going to comment on today's comic (and the poll question).  Marten may just ditch mom, go over to the bar, and decide that today is another good day to get drunk.   :roll:

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #56 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:12 »

I'm 'agressively single'. I believe some people should never marry, and that I am one of them.

I will mail a flaming box of poop to the first person who suggests I "haven't met the right person".

As for the comic, I'll restate and expand on my final post in the previous WCDT - Marten's Mom looks hella older in the new art style, and it kinda 'popped my bubble' about her. I'd always pictured her as either 'well preserved' (think Cher), or relatively young...  and in the current strip, she's certainly showing her age 8(

When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #57 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:25 »

This is the only thing I could think of reading today's strip:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:33 »

if he ever gets into another relationship it probably can't be someone we already know, so why not the gorgeous waitress his mom set him up with?
There is an assertive female character who's into music, but she's never met Marten and there's no evidence it's realistic. She's still in school, and Marten thinks there's a big difference between being his age and being still in college.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #59 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:48 »

My parents married at 21/22 - right after Mom finished her bachelor's.  Dad dropped out while Mom finished her master's (it was only another semester) and then the Army sent them off to a completely different state.  They've been married 31 years.

I'm 28 and not married.  There are times I think I'd kind of like to be, but not to the extent where I'd consider marrying some random person just to be married.  I'm okay with being single all my life if I never find someone I want to marry.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #60 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:09 »

My wife and I got married when we were both 21.  We recently celebrated our 49th anniversary.  It seems to be working out all right. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Bastion

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #61 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:17 »

Win for making that panel correct, dude. xD I would go Eldritch horror from beyond the stars too.

apopanda09

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #62 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:30 »

My wife and I got married when we were both 21.  We recently celebrated our 49th anniversary.  It seems to be working out all right. 

Just want to thank you for some optimism! I got marred at 21, and I'm 23 now. Your post gives me hope.

As for the comic, I love Marten's face throughout. It's brilliant.

Armadillo

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #63 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:32 »

I know couples who got married in their late 20s-early 30s who are struggling and on the brink of divorce, yet my wife and I are still going strong at 32, with our ten-year anniversary coming up in August.  It definitely is more about the personal compatibility and relationship strength than your age, but that's just my experience.  My parents got married when they were 21/22, and they will be celebrating 42 years in a couple of weeks.

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
« Reply #64 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:35 »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This was simply MARVELOUS!  The sheer awkwardness was almost touchable! Poor guy just cant catch a break, can he?  :-D  :-D  :-D

There's no good time or bad time to get married. It depends entirely on the people involved.

So true. Life tends to suprise you, one way or another. Personally, I got married at 28, it lasted for few years, but hey, thats just life.  :-P
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #65 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:36 »

I'm 'agressively single'. I believe some people should never marry, and that I am one of them.

Same here. Years ago, I used to think that was a ridiculous concept...but there's some real truth to that.

Coco

• Emoticontraindication
  • You can't be mad at me, I'm just a dog.
« Reply #66 on: 20 Dec 2010, 11:07 »

I will mail a flaming box of poop to the first person who suggests I "haven't met the right person".

I know how you feel. If I run into one more person who insists I really do want kids and just don't know it yet, but should get crackin' anyway I will...well, likely develop glowing red eyes and begin speaking the language of the old ones.

I am wondering what Mom is up to in this comic though. The best that I can come up with is that she's decided to distract him from the hurt by allowing him to redirect his feelings. Otherwise, it just seems oblivious to his feelings (which would be out of character in my opinion), but incredibly funny.
It took three years for bad lawyers to put an innocent man in jail for the rest of his life and 15 years for good lawyers to set him free.
"Getting to this point was way harder than it should be in a free country."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #67 on: 20 Dec 2010, 11:20 »

Grud I love Marten's mom.  Talk about trying to set your son up!!

One can just hear Marten's inner voice all through the strip.

48, never been married.  Only ever been in one long term relationship that lasted four or five years, and she was the type who puts people off.  'World owes her a living' type most of the time.  Grud knows why I stuck it out - guess I was young and stupid.  The only good thing I can say is that we never got married or had kids.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

zadojla

• Emoticontraindication
  • Yes, it's a wombat.
« Reply #68 on: 20 Dec 2010, 11:39 »

My wife married Husband #1 at 23.  That may be partly why I am Husband #2.  Married at 36, nearly 25 years ago.  (And I lived on my own for 10 years before that, not that I didn't have visitors....)

And for those without children, if you decide to have only one child be prepared for a lot of abuse from everyone, family to strangers.  "You can't leave her an only child!"  I finally had to get rude.  I would ask what was wrong with only children, get the usual litany, then point out that my mother was an only child, and were they inplying all those things were wrong with my mother?  Shut'em up, it did.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 11:41 by zadojla »
How do I get one of those brooms?

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #69 on: 20 Dec 2010, 11:41 »

Dated my first husband all four years of college, graduated, got married a month later at 22, divorced at 28. He turned out to be an asshole in several ways. Luckily we never had kids.

Got re-married this past year at 31 after current hubby and I had dated for almost two years. Now I'm about 15 weeks pregnant and happy as a clam even though I'd always said I never wanted kids. I guess that changed when I met someone who actually cared about me.

All I can say is, I learned plenty from the first marriage - about myself and what I want out of life. Sometimes I wish I hadn't had to go through all that crap, but if I hadn't I wouldn't be who and where I am today, and I'm pretty happy with my life now. I think people put too much importance on whether or not someone is married by a certain age and that seems silly to me. It can lead to bad decisions, like in my case.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #70 on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:14 »

Quote from: Coco
I am wondering what Mom is up to in this comic though. The best that I can come up with is that she's decided to distract him from the hurt by allowing him to redirect his feelings. Otherwise, it just seems oblivious to his feelings (which would be out of character in my opinion), but incredibly funny.

I hadn't looked at it at that angle, and it does make some sense. A nice blowup at someone who's able to take anything he can dish out might help Marten 'clear the pipes' so to speak. Kinda a more aggressive version of crying-as-cleansing.

When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

shiroihikari

• Plantmonster
« Reply #71 on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:26 »

I'm 27, my husband is 29, and we got married in 2008 after dating for two years.  He is my best friend. 

Merrick

• Larger than most fish
  • Officially Awesome
« Reply #72 on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:56 »

Breaking my lurking spell to say that Elysiana's alternate panel is amazing.  :mrgreen:
I am in desperate need of a life and common sense.

Quintessentially British.

westrim

« Reply #73 on: 20 Dec 2010, 13:46 »

if he ever gets into another relationship it probably can't be someone we already know, so why not the gorgeous waitress his mom set him up with?
There is an assertive female character who's into music, but she's never met Marten and there's no evidence it's realistic. She's still in school, and Marten thinks there's a big difference between being his age and being still in college.
I have no idea what you just said. Are you referring to a specific character, a hypothetical character, and/or the waitress? Please identify your subject to me,  and English teachers everywhere.

I find the torrent of people rushing to declare their marital status, staying power, and age and/or their agreement with Jeph amusing. And the number that are older than me slightly surprising.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #74 on: 20 Dec 2010, 13:51 »

I have no idea what you just said. Are you referring to a specific character, a hypothetical character, and/or the waitress? Please identify your subject to me,  and English teachers everywhere.

Have you not seen Star Wars, dude?

THERE IS....   ANOTHER

or, to clarify and reduce the overall dickery level of this post, the subject is undefined. It's a damn ugly sentence, sure, but it's coherent and makes sense.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #75 on: 20 Dec 2010, 13:53 »

I actually kind of wish that the waitress would become a new character.

I know it's stupid to be wishing for another female character, but new stuff is fun! I get as excited for new characters as I do for sight-reading new music.

...And I'm going to take my self-confessed band geek self and go into the corner now.

I could swear she did appear in a previous comic.....

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #76 on: 20 Dec 2010, 14:07 »

Damn taht sucks....

my sister actually pulled the same stunt on me with a waitress at friendly's once- except she left my phone number after i went outside. Fuck.

random thought while reading today- Jeph rarely puts any form of motorized transportation in the comic(characters mentioning driving somewhere, or even parked cars). is he a secret luddite? but then he uses the iternet...hm.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #77 on: 20 Dec 2010, 14:21 »

Raven and Dora have cars.

And then there's the Vespavenger.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 14:23 by celticgeek »

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #78 on: 20 Dec 2010, 15:20 »

Only tuning in because it just came to me that WCDT should mean weekly comic death threat.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #79 on: 20 Dec 2010, 15:27 »

We Can Destroy This
Wild Canines Did This
Whale Cock Dick Tits
Web Comic Destruction Thread
What Crap Doth This (be)
Wankers, Cocks, Dumbasses & Tools

I could go on.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #80 on: 20 Dec 2010, 15:32 »

What's the postage like on that?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #81 on: 20 Dec 2010, 15:49 »

Any time prior to the time when both people involved have supported them self (i.e., lived on their own for X amount of time outside of their parents' house and without relying on said parents for support) is a bad time.
This is massively culturally conditioned, and quite unsuitable for sweeping judgements like this. There are cultural groups, including my own, where living with your family until marriage is perfectly normal, and the divorce-rate among them, in Australia at least, is not higher than that of society as a whole, but often lower. Different strokes for different folks.

As for mothers trying to "fit up" their offspring, isn't this simply standard operating procedure? No less embarrassing though...  :oops:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #82 on: 20 Dec 2010, 16:00 »

Depends...   

*instantrimshot.com*

Media mail?

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #83 on: 20 Dec 2010, 16:08 »

Depends...   

*instantrimshot.com*

Oh, dear.  :psyduck:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #84 on: 20 Dec 2010, 16:37 »

Pennelope has a car, and Steve has a truck.

Nobody remembers the music major who hit her boss over the head with a rolled-up magazine?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #85 on: 20 Dec 2010, 17:10 »

Wait, what? Who is this you speak of? OHHHHHHHHHHH. No, he hasn't met her, has he?
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 17:17 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #86 on: 20 Dec 2010, 17:11 »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #87 on: 20 Dec 2010, 17:16 »

This music major?

I believe her name is Lydia. ("Beatles Medley Drunk?")
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #88 on: 20 Dec 2010, 17:30 »

She even has a wiki page.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

litthefilter

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #89 on: 20 Dec 2010, 18:19 »

Am I the only one who found this comic to be a weird ... echo of 1795?

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #90 on: 20 Dec 2010, 18:22 »

With new Priority Mail Flammable Flat Rate Boxes, you pay the same amount regardless of the weight of the poop you're mailing, and we guarantee it will stay on fire up to 7 days after delivery.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #91 on: 20 Dec 2010, 18:32 »

Only tuning in because it just came to me that WCDT should mean weekly comic death threat.

Wankers, Cocks, Dumbasses & Tools

I could go on.

This seems most fitting.

(before you flame me I know very well I'm including myself as one of these)
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #92 on: 20 Dec 2010, 18:35 »

Now there's a case of Justifiable Momicide if I ever saw one.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #93 on: 20 Dec 2010, 18:45 »

Very perceptive for a first post.
Just another Joe like 46

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #94 on: 20 Dec 2010, 18:54 »

o.m.g. Miss Reed, you're the best.

Nah, you're not, and poor Marten STILL can't find a way to stop the women in his life :(

TheEvilDog

« Reply #95 on: 20 Dec 2010, 19:06 »

Funny how some parents always do their best to tend to their child when they're in pain, while at the same time can be oblivious to the fact that they can be causing far more pain by seemingly innocent actions. As daryljfontaine said, in each panel, Marten is actually saying more and more then just mom. You can almost hear him saying "What the hell are you doing? Dora and I just broke up the day before yesterday!"

However, I do agree with the theory that Veronica is trying to get her son to purge any anger and hostility he might be feeling, albeit in a heavy handed way. Now whether or not it works with Marten remains to be seen, as Marten does seem to have an almost preternatural ability to bottle up what he is feeling, at least until something breaks (i.e. anytime Marten snaps at someone, which we can probably count on one hand at the moment). Then again, parents always know exactly what buttons to press.

This week is going to be very interesting.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #96 on: 20 Dec 2010, 20:05 »

Any time prior to the time when both people involved have supported them self (i.e., lived on their own for X amount of time outside of their parents' house and without relying on said parents for support) is a bad time.
This is massively culturally conditioned, and quite unsuitable for sweeping judgements like this. There are cultural groups, including my own, where living with your family until marriage is perfectly normal, and the divorce-rate among them, in Australia at least, is not higher than that of society as a whole, but often lower. Different strokes for different folks.

As for mothers trying to "fit up" their offspring, isn't this simply standard operating procedure? No less embarrassing though...  :oops:

Can't say I'm surprised that England's penal commonwealth is like that. Strength in numbers though, gotta keep defenses up against the huntsman spiders (amongst other things).

Here in the erstwhile civilized world, though, having as many reasons to put off marriage until the people involved in the relationship have had time to survive some trials as adults is never a bad thing.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #97 on: 20 Dec 2010, 20:07 »

I think we're seeing Ms. Reed's sense of humor at work, which may be the right way to jolt Marten out of stewing in self-pity. He's not moping now.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #98 on: 20 Dec 2010, 20:56 »

I think we're seeing Ms. Reed's sense of humor at work, which may be the right way to jolt Marten out of stewing in self-pity. He's not moping now.

It should be interesting to see if she was being serious, half serious or just pulling Marten's leg.  One can't quite tell at this stage.

And just what drama/awkwardness/mayhem is due to ensue when she goes to see Dora.

Anyone seeing her not doing that?

[EDIT] Oh hey, 2005 Posts - Cool [/EDIT]
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 20:58 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #99 on: 20 Dec 2010, 21:26 »

Man cmon Jeph everyone knows you don't make martinis with hendricks, its way more of a G&T/Sipping gin. It doesn't combine well with olives or Vermouth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up