THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 07:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What else doesn't Veronica realize?

She doesn't have her hair up in a ponytail.
- 6 (6.8%)
Black really clashes with her eyes.
- 2 (2.3%)
That wasn't Splenda she put in her coffee.
- 4 (4.5%)
She got an extra ear piercing since yesterday.
- 5 (5.7%)
Faye has a scar on her right boob.
- 9 (10.2%)
Dora's hair was purple.
- 8 (9.1%)
She doesn't really need glasses.
- 5 (5.7%)
Pintsize has her entire BDSM collection uploaded into his memory.
- 24 (27.3%)
That WASN'T Kirk, but his brother Leeeeroooyyyy Jenkkinnnnsss!!!!
- 8 (9.1%)
Waffles taste better with chicken.
- 17 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WDCT 10-14 January 2011 (1836-1840)  (Read 94910 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: WDCT 10-14 January 2011 (1836-1840)
« Reply #300 on: 13 Jan 2011, 19:51 »

Faye could totally be a boxer. Seriously.
Given her propensity for throws and holds as well as punches, MMA might be more her speed.

Ever since someone in another thread mentioned a QC fighting-game, I've been unable to shake off the image of Faye as Chun Li (it is probably just as well that I can't draw), but the fighting style is all wrong.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2011, 19:54 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #301 on: 13 Jan 2011, 20:41 »

-If the person giving you advice has been married/together for 10+yrs. You may want to consider it. They've got enough experience and wisdom to start seeing past most of the crap.

-If the person giving you advice is giving you advice about what caused them to breakup/divorce. You may want to consider it. They've already screwed the pooch on this particular issue.

-If the person giving you advice is none of these, then only consider it long enough to see if it makes sense and if it doesn't, don't bother about it. They are likely just talking out of their collective buttholes. I'm not saying they're doing it on purpose or to be mean...but they almost certainly don't know enough about relationships (much less the intricacies of yours, which you'll never be able to tell them all the minute details anyway without taking several years to do it) to give good advice unless they hit the monkey on the keyboard just right by accident.  :psyduck:

- In all fairness, Veronica and Henry were married for about 10 years before the divorce, that one kinda falls flat on its ass.

- Veronica and Henry divorced because of the fact Henry was gay, so unless Marten ended up following in his dad's footsteps, its two completely different issues, and thus any advice is next to useless in that context. It's like offering a hammer when what's needed is a screwdriver.

- This is about the only point I kinda agree with you with. Veronica is talking out of her own ass. From what I've gathered, Veronica really hasn't a romantic relationship since Henry and to be honest, I can't imagine it would have been that passionate. In fact, a lot of the evidence kinda points to Veronica having a lot of one night stands, pretty much the opposite of Marten and Henry. Pretty much any advice she gives is the same as when Sven tried to advise Wil about Penny and comparing it to teaching a Bedouin how to sail.

And the longer this story arc goes on, the more I wish Henry and Maurice were the ones in town again.....

Sorry, my implication on the first one didn't come through... "If they are *still* married/together and it's been 10+ years."  I don't count Veronica on the 10+yrs thing b/c she's not still married. The idea behind that one is that you'd be talking to someone who's seen quite a bit as they've gone down the road and since they are still successful at it, could potentially offer you wisdom.

It's not a guarantee, of course. That person could be a complete moron despite being with someone for 10yrs, but the odds at that point are...you're likely talking to someone who's got something worth knowing.

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #302 on: 13 Jan 2011, 20:45 »

This is from a woman who was so successful at her own relationship that she married a gay guy...  :lol:

People don't come with labels, and don't necessarily know their own mind fully.  I have seen the fall-out from a similar breakup (reverse the sexes, and factor in three children), and it was not something to laugh about - so I'd suggest you don't in future. 

(That's friendly advice, not a moderator comment)

...This is a comic character.

I have no issue with laughing at this predicament, especially given the wharrgrbl that has been going on in this thread. It's levity, that's all.

/you have to learn to laugh at life, even when it sucks
//something I've learned the hard way.

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #303 on: 13 Jan 2011, 20:52 »

I took the hair-tousle to mean that Pugnacious Peach has moved on emotionally.

Yes, we're doing this?  This is a thing now?

Because PP makes for fantastic initials.

You have to say it like a Boxing announcer,

To wit:

I this corner, weighing in at One hundred and *mumble-mumble* pounds, from Savannah Georgia,

The Pugnacious Peach,

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaye

Whitakrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!

That was awesome! lol!

/totally heard that in my head.

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #304 on: 13 Jan 2011, 21:02 »

This is from a woman who was so successful at her own relationship that she married a gay guy...  :lol:

People don't come with labels, and don't necessarily know their own mind fully.  I have seen the fall-out from a similar breakup (reverse the sexes, and factor in three children), and it was not something to laugh about - so I'd suggest you don't in future. 

(That's friendly advice, not a moderator comment)

...This is a comic character. That's all I view it as.

I have no issue with laughing at this predicament, especially given the wharrgrbl that has been going on in this thread. It's levity, that's all. (I'm a bit bemused since it also ended up being the punch line of today's strip too.)

As for real life. I have learned that you have to be able to laugh at it, even when it sucks. Definitely something I had to learn the hard way, but I'm much happier for knowing it now (and yes, I'll laugh at my own expense as much as anything.)

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #305 on: 13 Jan 2011, 21:19 »

Ever since someone in another thread mentioned a QC fighting-game, I've been unable to shake off the image of Faye as Chun Li (it is probably just as well that I can't draw), but the fighting style is all wrong.

Oh geez, now I've got the mental image in my head and it won't go away.  :psyduck:

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #306 on: 13 Jan 2011, 23:57 »

I had to think for a second about the name, and then I remembered who she is.

Way back in high school many years ago, (ok it was 2002) a few friends and I were playing an old SNES one night.  Street Fighter II happened to be the game of the moment, and while fighting Chun Li, my cousin all of a sudden yells out of nowhere, "God dammit she's doing the spinning birdshit kick again!"  Best part was, none of us had been drinking, which made it even funnier.  Needless to say, "spinning birdshit kick" became the catchphrase for the night whenever something went horribly wrong or a character died.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 00:19 by Sorflakne »
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #307 on: 14 Jan 2011, 00:30 »

It's supposed to mirror life, so (within reason) it's prudent to apply the same standards to how you view it; what you say reflects who you are.  For instance, if you made a racist comment about the comic, I would pull you up on it.

As for real life. I have learned that you have to be able to laugh at it, even when it sucks.

You laugh at your own life, not at other people's.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #308 on: 14 Jan 2011, 00:33 »

Good god Veronica sure does like her casual sex, doesn't she?
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #309 on: 14 Jan 2011, 00:43 »

So now it's official that Marten isn't into casual. Everything pointed that way already but now we have confirmation from on high.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #310 on: 14 Jan 2011, 00:46 »

Keeps her young, I'd imagine. That, and Jeph not "inking" in the smile lines.
Hope we find out soon how the Peach is doing.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #311 on: 14 Jan 2011, 00:49 »

I'm very surprised that Pintsize is winning ... if Marten's Mom knows anything about Pintsize at all, she surely knows he will have her complete collection.

So its kinda hard to evade that knowledge. :-D
Carpe Diem

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #312 on: 14 Jan 2011, 01:06 »

I don't like this. Veronica causes alot of confusion and mayhem, and it's all wrapped up by her just casually leaving?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #313 on: 14 Jan 2011, 01:11 »

She comes; she's a bit insensitive pretty much the whole time; she goes.  What's unexpected about that?  Any confusion and mayhem was more here than in the comic.

And she's going on to see someone else - perhaps the flying visit was not solely to see Marten, but was piggy-backed on another thing she was planning to do sometime in any case.

So, next week we'll start to get the gang's own reactions to all this at last.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 01:14 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #314 on: 14 Jan 2011, 01:16 »

It certainly seems so. That strip you linked is the one in which Faye uses the odd expression "Colder than a penguin's third nipple". When I first read it, I immediately thought: "Penguins don't have nipples, so the 'third nipple' would be the only one." So "Colder than a penguin's arse", pehaps? Yes, I do have a rather analytical personality, why do you ask?
I don't like this. Veronica causes a lot of confusion and mayhem, and it's all wrapped up by her just casually leaving?
It seems perfectly in keeping with her character to me. Blow in, tease Marten, chat to the ladies in his life, blow out. Nobody said she was supposed to be a role model. Except, like, half this forum, I guess...  :-D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #315 on: 14 Jan 2011, 01:24 »

Argh. Now I had to go and look up how penguins feed their young.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #316 on: 14 Jan 2011, 01:58 »

Tip: Penguins are birds. :)
Carpe Diem

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #317 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:04 »

It's supposed to mirror life, so (within reason) it's prudent to apply the same standards to how you view it; what you say reflects who you are.  For instance, if you made a racist comment about the comic, I would pull you up on it.

As for real life. I have learned that you have to be able to laugh at it, even when it sucks.

You laugh at your own life, not at other people's.

I don't think that it mirrors life. Certainly it doesn't mirror any version of life that I've experienced or witnessed. I reckon it would be more reasonable to say that it characitures and sometimes parodies it. Certainly that how I derive the homour.

As for laugh at other people's lives, I think that's pretty normal. Even when sucking, other people's lives can be quite funny. I would suggest that the guidemark is that if it happened to you, would you, at some point expect to be able to laugh about it.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #318 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:26 »

Well, at least she's leaving.  That's... better than her continuing to be there, I guess.
Now if only she'd actually helped Marten with any of his problems while she was here, rather than making new ones.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #319 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:28 »

Well consider what she does for a living, my good Dug. She practically needs to have a sex-positive attitude, and she seems to have it in spades--it may be why she thought that cheering Marten up could involve getting him laid.

I also think his more prudish sensibilities may be a subconscious rebellion that she's hoping he'll "grow out of." Hence her commentary on his being uptight. To her, he is.

I registered, logged in, and delurked just to tell you how much I love you for posting this.

I will accept this accolade humbly, along with azurite's and steveb's, and I'll try not to be an unbearably smug prick about it.

...FOR ABOUT FIVE MINUTES But really, thank you. :D

I don't like this. Veronica causes a lot of confusion and mayhem, and it's all wrapped up by her just casually leaving?
It seems perfectly in keeping with her character to me. Blow in, tease Marten, chat to the ladies in his life, blow out. Nobody said she was supposed to be a role model. Except, like, half this forum, I guess...  :-D

To engage in flattery myself, you have this gift for encapsulating the situation perfectly, Akima, bravo.

I am sad to see V go off into the sunset, but she'll be back, and I am interested to see where things go! Steveb, I hope you're right about him salvaging a friendship with Dora, even if it takes him months; I think that even that small step would be a big leap forward for Marten.

EDIT: At the risk of squandering my goodwill, let me propose that "Veronica didn't fix Marten's problems for him! do what I WANTED her to do! 'help' Marten/OMG her behavior was SO OUTRAGEOUS!" is quickly becoming as tired and useless a statement as that perennial canard, "Dora is a bitch!" and repeating it is to be discouraged. :(
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 02:34 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #320 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:36 »

In 437, Marten was "jokin' around" about his parents's breakup.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

« Reply #321 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:36 »

Argh. Now I had to go and look up how penguins feed their young.
What, by throwing up partially digested food in their mouths? Eh, insert comment about the internet and jadedness here. Or a Cracked article hyperlink.  :-D

So, just when she started acting like a mom, she leaves. Oh well. Why couldn't she have been this nice when she arrived? I mean, they didn't even hug before going off to the restaurant so she could launch her now apparently intentional campaign to humiliate her son out of his funk - I mean, feeling bad about being broken up with two days before is just such an unreasonable reaction, isn't it?

Yes, it still bugs me.  All  the stuff she did would have been amusing if this were not two days after the breakup, and she was his mom. But it is two days later, not two months later, so it's annoying. I didn't expect her to be a role model; I did expect his mom to be empathetic. Is that really unreasonable? You know, that person that gave birth to you and raised you and we had no reason to believe would be unempathetic, whatever viewers of naked clowns think, and one of the handful of people that most people believe they can turn to in an emotional crisis, whatever certain unconvincing Canadians think - yes, I'm checking back for the many comments I missed.

Long quote, click the link instead o my making this post even longer.

I'd expect his dad to to be empathetic too. If he made the journey, then he can decrease the googly-eyes with his husband to be (or leave him behind) and be a dad again for a bit. If he didn't, like she shouldn't have, then that's okay too. Obviously, since he didn't. If I may be so 'bold': Nobody said someone should fix this, 'because that's how real life works'. Seriously, where in the heck did you pick that up? No, I didn't expect the friggin magic wand, but I DID expect the "hugs and sympathy and all that", instead of just the embarrassment. Ironically, we finally got that, and even more ironically, the comic seems to be acting like her poor actions the previous day really did fix everything, because now he's all smiley and "things will be better" and all. Though I'm sure further comics will draw back on that a bit. And I'm perfectly fine with her conduct with Dora. It was the sneaking around to do so that was unsettling.

Looking back, you know what this needed? A timeskip, between about comics 1809 and 1810. If he was depressed still two months or a month later and she came and did the wacky hijinks then, then it would be amusing. But two days after, and she's being - I dare not say a bitch, that's too strong a term anyway - well, something, and trying to snap him out of feeling bad about something that happened  two days ago... Well, I think you know how I feel about that, because I've written like 20 posts saying what it was.

Edit: And now someone else made the "lol, they expected her to come and fix everything" canard two posts above while I was typing. Stop strawmanning, please. If you can honestly defend her actions beyond 'lulz, that was funny for us readers' then do so. If not, don't resort to fallacies so you can feel like you have a counterargument.

Edit 2: Wow, I wrote a lot. Adding indents and a quote to help with readability.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 02:49 by westrim »

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #322 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:48 »

She comes; she's a bit insensitive pretty much the whole time; she goes.  What's unexpected about that?  

Yeah there were reasons Marten really wasn't enthusiastic about seeing his mom in the first place, and Veronica displayed those reasons front and center over the past couple of weeks. Her personality really wasn't very different from the last time she visited, it's just that Marten was not in a good place emotionally to deal with her usual hijinks this time. We can be pretty sure that Marten's glad to see her go. At last.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #323 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:49 »

@westrim: I got it mostly from the fact that your post seemed to be opining that his mom wasn't Doing It Right to thine eyes, and he needed his dad to swoop in and make it all better, because his mom had failed at that, which just reeks to me of magical thinking.

I suppose I should be more sympathetic; I'm guilty of leaning pretty heavily on my folks for support in hard times, but I realize that really things are up to me now. It scares the fuck out of me, but hey, it's part of that growing up thing that happens to us all.

I continue to think your outlined expectations were, well, either a little unrealistic or you're just misrepresenting her, but hey! You are entitled to your opinion, and you've backed it up succinctly and well. We may agree to disagree, I should think.

EDIT 2x 1x COMBO: ...that was not directed at Just You, and if you really must call me out then call me out. That was me snarking at a general attitude of other posters.

The brunt of it is directed at those who are taking it on themselves to repeat over and over the idea that Veronica did things wrong, and saying things that have been said already, and generally not contributing much to the conversation.

I think it's fair to say that people did think V could fix everything and are sour about it, it's a valid (if silly) opinion, but I likewise feel legitimate in mocking it. Perhaps I'm being fallacious in that, but I don't really care, because I'm not setting out to have a long and involved rules-heavy debate here. Just as you made your point of view plenty clear already, I should hope so did I, and, welp, there's the fuckin' counterargument. At this point, the floor should be yielded to things like "I wonder what Marigold/Pintsize's/Jimbo/the Roomba family/Agent Turing/the Deathbot is up to!"
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 03:24 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #324 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:58 »

As for laugh at other people's lives, I think that's pretty normal. Even when sucking, other people's lives can be quite funny. I would suggest that the guidemark is that if it happened to you, would you, at some point expect to be able to laugh about it.

At your life, certainly.  But not at other people's when they are hurting - if you want to keep your friends.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #325 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:08 »

Or if you don't want an espresso machine to blow up in your face. (1258)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #326 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:13 »

I would suggest that hurting would exceed the guidemark that I stated. Obviously this would depend on the type of hurting and what you were laughing at. For example, in strip 1835 Tai is expressing some amusement at an aspect of Marten's life. Do you think that she has crossed the line here and that Marten could be expected to withdraw his friendship with her?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #327 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:20 »

Remember, I was originally addressing the matter of laughing at the situation of a marriage with a child hitting the rocks when one partner finds that they prefer a gay relationship; plenty of scope for hurt there, I think.  Or at least extensive confusion and puzzlement, which is not a lot funnier.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #328 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:23 »

Also scope for humour with that context though.

westrim

« Reply #329 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:23 »

I got it mostly from the fact that it seemed to be opining that his mom wasn't Doing It Right to thine eyes, and he needed his dad to swoop in and make it all better, because his mom had failed at that, which just reeks to me of magical thinking.

I suppose I should be more sympathetic; I'm guilty of leaning pretty heavily on my folks for support in hard times, but I realize that really things are up to me now. It scares the fuck out of me, but hey, it's part of that growing up thing that happens to us all.

I continue to think your outlined expectations were, well, either a little unrealistic or you're just misrepresenting her, but hey! You are entitled to your opinion, and you've backed it up succinctly and well.
Ah. Well, I didn't bring up his dad originally, so I guess that's all I have to say. I think I kept going into too much detail, since my issue wasn't so much what she should do as what she was doing. The only thing I thought should be done was more empathy from her; any variation with more of that and less humiliating him as much as possible would have been fine and funnier/still funny, I'm sure.

Yeah, growing up is a pain in my ass too even if my parents are nearby and I haven't had any great troubles aside from unemployment (which sucks in terms of disposable income, but I get governmental support for housing and school expenses). I still drop by on weekends to help with housework, pick up mail, and have a dinner five times better than what I can make with 10 ingredients and a cookbook. I guess since I'm closer I may expect more if shit does hit the fan.

Thank you for that. There's been too much mudslinging, and I'm no innocent. On that note, your posts were always amusingly worded, even when I was annoyed at the contents. I wish I could write with more mirth, and less of my dry, analytical, condescending-even-when-I-don't-want-to-be style.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #330 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:33 »

Thank you as well and I hope my Edit Combo above doesn't make me look like too much of a prick. For what it's worth, I 1.) may owe you an apology because I swore you were the dude who was like "he should've called his dad" first and I was tired and bluh bluh didn't check all of the posts before mine, 2.) you were one of the guys on the opposing side of the argument I felt was actually being pretty okay and not all pissed off that Dora/Veronica wasn't getting violence done to them. It may kind of be why I jumped on you, cause I'm like "dude can actually take it".

I do endeavor to be amusing and I'm glad to hear I cone off as such, even if I borrow my styles from all over the Internet, and your only sin in my book is taking things a little too seriously. You are insightful and pretty thought-inspiring most times! And I have never seen you make posts like my earliest ones! Those were mega nasty. Those were dog shit, to quote one Roast Beef Kazenzakis.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 05:13 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #331 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:38 »

Can anyone even give an example of somebody WANTING Veronica to have hit Dora? Or even yell at her?

I didn't notice anyone actually saying that. I, personally, said that her treatment of Marten should, logically, be better than her treatment of Dora, but more in the direction of being nice to Marten, than being less nice to Dora. There wasn't really a genuinely good reason for her to have talked to Dora at all, Dora has her own parents and friends, and Veronica really doesn't have any relationship to or business with her.

Perhaps, to be fair, Marten should talk to Dora's parents? Not that they'd have much to say, but I'm sure the brownies will take his mind off the situation better than the bourbon did.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

StevenC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #332 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:47 »

I think it wasn't so much people wanting Veronica to hit Dora and more people expecting Veronica to hit Dora. Heck, even Marten thought she was doing unspeakable things to her.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #333 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:50 »

I'm thinking that maybe Veronica may be trying to avoid coddling her boy too much. He may want him to "suck it up" and "be a man" about the breakup, and as others have pointed out, she does have the advantage and perspective of knowing from experience that people do survive and bounce back from breakups over time.

I think her wanting Marten to "toughen up" and power through the situation may at least partially explain why she went to hug and comfort Dora, but offered little of that to her own son-plus she may be aware that Dora would be mortally afraid of being bent, spindled and mutilated by motherly wrath and wanted to reassure Dora that wouldn't happen.

And after all, she wasn't very tender and motherly to Marten on her previous visit, now was she? She made a point of remarking how much she was getting laid even while Marten was in Sexual Purgatory waiting on Faye. Even Faye had to comment on how cold that was.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #334 on: 14 Jan 2011, 04:01 »

Can anyone even give an example of somebody WANTING Veronica to have hit Dora? Or even yell at her?

I didn't notice anyone actually saying that. I, personally, said that her treatment of Marten should, logically, be better than her treatment of Dora, but more in the direction of being nice to Marten, than being less nice to Dora. There wasn't really a genuinely good reason for her to have talked to Dora at all, Dora has her own parents and friends, and Veronica really doesn't have any relationship to or business with her.

Perhaps, to be fair, Marten should talk to Dora's parents? Not that they'd have much to say, but I'm sure the brownies will take his mind off the situation better than the bourbon did.

I think it was more of the implication from the posts that were going, "Yay, more Mrs. Reed!  Dora better head for the hills!"  And I do remember a few going "Dora's going to find out all about the Hieronymus Bosch", or something similar.  The second being a bit more explicit about the expected happenings than the first.

I suspect that for some reason, Mrs. Reed identifies a little too closely with Dora, maybe because she looks so much like her when she was younger.  I don't know that this explains anything, but assuming that Marten and his mother talked alot, this may have been her version of OTP, and thus she was unhappy when it fell apart.  This does, I admit, induce certain squicky thoughts which I'll carefully step over.

Considering what happened when Marten got drunk, I'm not sure having him stoned and near Dora's mom's breasts is necessarily the best idea.  Just sayin'.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #335 on: 14 Jan 2011, 04:09 »

Also scope for humour with that context though.

With sensitivity, and with the connivance of those affected, perhaps - but it's crass to simply laugh at someone else's issues from outside.

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
  • A Waste of Human Reproductive Facilities
« Reply #336 on: 14 Jan 2011, 04:14 »

Humorous aside about Leroy Jenkins...

Most of our guys were into WoW.  Every time we went on mission, one of the Convoy Commanders would say, "Okay guys, let's do this!  LEEEEEEEROOOOOY JEEEEENKIIIIIIINS!"  Regardless of who was sitting in the back of the MRAP.  We had full-bird Colonels and civilians laughing hysterically going out onto Rte. Irish or Michigan.  Good times.
SPC, Infantry
3rd Platoon (RHINO), B Co 256STB
III Corps STB "Phantom Warrior"
USF-I

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #337 on: 14 Jan 2011, 05:17 »

So now it's official that Marten isn't into casual. Everything pointed that way already but now we have confirmation from on high.

Just cause you can do something doesn't always mean that you should, or want to.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #338 on: 14 Jan 2011, 06:18 »

What else doesn't Veronica realize?

She doesn't have her hair up in a ponytail.    - 4 (6.2%)
Black really clashes with her eyes.    - 0 (0%)
That wasn't Splenda she put in her coffee.    - 3 (4.6%)
She got an extra ear piercing since yesterday.    - 2 (3.1%)
Faye has a scar on her right boob.    - 7 (10.8%)
Dora's hair was purple.    - 5 (7.7%)
She doesn't really need glasses.    - 5 (7.7%)
Pintsize has her entire BDSM collection uploaded into his memory.    - 19 (29.2%)
That WASN'T Kirk, but his brother Leeeeroooyyyy Jenkkinnnnsss!!!!    - 8 (12.3%)
Waffles taste better with chicken.    - 12 (18.5%)

Total Voters: 65
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #339 on: 14 Jan 2011, 06:19 »

What sick and twisted mind came up with "waffles taste better with chicken"? You need help.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #340 on: 14 Jan 2011, 06:45 »

I'm thinking that maybe Veronica may be trying to avoid coddling her boy too much.
I rather think Veronica is simply unable to help, as she hinted herself in the previous comic (thursday, #1839). She simply wouldnt know how.
Carpe Diem

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #341 on: 14 Jan 2011, 07:21 »

She comes; she's a bit insensitive pretty much the whole time; she goes.  What's unexpected about that?

Just pointing out the hilariously poor word choice here given her occupation.

What sick and twisted mind came up with "waffles taste better with chicken"? You need help.

A Southern one, you sick and twisted Yankee. Have you never heard of the wonderful establishment known as the Waffle House (or at least an IHOP)? Chicken and Waffles is fucking amazing and you are doing yourself a disservice by never having tried it before!

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #342 on: 14 Jan 2011, 07:34 »

Yankee, oh the ignominy.

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #343 on: 14 Jan 2011, 07:48 »

I made a recipe I found somewhere once that was *basically* chicken a la king between a couple of Eggos.  It was tasty.

And yes, I live in the South. (not a native - how did I go so long without sweet tea and good BBQ?)
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #344 on: 14 Jan 2011, 07:52 »

I refuse to take culinary advice from a region of the world that voluntarily cooks grit.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #345 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:06 »

Grits
And in that case, you're basically writing off Italy too.  Or at least the parts that enjoy polenta.

akronnick

• I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #346 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:08 »

I refuse to take culinary advice from a region of the world that voluntarily cooks grit.

You have to cook 'em.

They're pretty chewy if ya eat 'em raw!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #347 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:08 »

Yankee, oh the ignominy.

Those weirdos put sugar in their grits. Sugar in their grits! That is just dumb!

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #348 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:14 »

Grits.  
And in that case, you're basically writing off Italy too.  Or at least the parts that enjoy polenta.

I've been to Italy and eaten polenta there. At no time was it ever referred to as grit(s), nor did they add sugar.

Those weirdos put sugar in their grits. Sugar in their grits! That is just dumb!

You call something you eat "grit" and you're calling someone else dumb? Would you like to comment on the colour of the kettle there Mr. Pot?

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #349 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:15 »

Yankee, oh the ignominy.

My wife (native southerner) berates me mercilessly for puting sugar in my grits.
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up