THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 22:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What else doesn't Veronica realize?

She doesn't have her hair up in a ponytail.
- 6 (6.8%)
Black really clashes with her eyes.
- 2 (2.3%)
That wasn't Splenda she put in her coffee.
- 4 (4.5%)
She got an extra ear piercing since yesterday.
- 5 (5.7%)
Faye has a scar on her right boob.
- 9 (10.2%)
Dora's hair was purple.
- 8 (9.1%)
She doesn't really need glasses.
- 5 (5.7%)
Pintsize has her entire BDSM collection uploaded into his memory.
- 24 (27.3%)
That WASN'T Kirk, but his brother Leeeeroooyyyy Jenkkinnnnsss!!!!
- 8 (9.1%)
Waffles taste better with chicken.
- 17 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WDCT 10-14 January 2011 (1836-1840)  (Read 94967 times)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
Re: WDCT 10-14 January 2011 (1836-1840)
« Reply #350 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:16 »

@The Seldom Killer - Here here.  Not that I would eat chicken in any context. Or grits, most likely.

And sweet tea is a bloody abomination. Why anyone would spoil something as lovely as tea by dumping ass loads of sugar into it is beyond me.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #351 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:24 »

It's "grits" then? So "grit" is a false way of saying it? What I'm saying is, I guess you could call them True Grits

*frantically packs a bag and books a flight out of the country*
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #352 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:31 »

You call something you eat "grit" and you're calling someone else dumb? Would you like to comment on the colour of the kettle there Mr. Pot?

Grits, when cooked properly, aren't actually "gritty" at all. Cream of Wheat is grittier than Grits, usually.

My wife (native southerner) berates me mercilessly for puting sugar in my grits.

That's because everyone knows that proper grits go best with salt and a little butter (and/or whatever else you want to put in them, like cheese or chopped up bits of meat).

@The Seldom Killer - Here here.  Not that I would eat chicken in any context. Or grits, most likely.

Grits are basically Oatmeal, but instead of Oats you're using Corn. Ditch the Instant stuff and get you some honest-to-God grits made from yellow Hominy, they are delicious!

And sweet tea is a bloody abomination. Why anyone would spoil something as lovely as tea by dumping ass loads of sugar into it is beyond me.

I will agree with you on this one, I like my tea unsweetened (maybe some lemon or something, but no to the tons of sugar).

It's "grits" then? So "grit" is a false way of saying it? What I'm saying is, I guess you could call them True Grits

No, "grits" refers to food only, "grit" is something else entirely (especially in that context).

*frantically packs a bag and books a flight out of the country*

I'd probably have to join you after saying that I enjoyed the newer movie more than the old one.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #353 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:32 »

Pluralisation in no way makes the name more endearing. If anything it's the opposite.

Hominy on the other hand sounds like something I would be prepared to try.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #354 on: 14 Jan 2011, 09:54 »

Good god Veronica sure does like her casual sex, doesn't she?

Yeah, what the HELL this is a MOM talking to her KID here gaghghaghgh. I know he's "grown up", but what the HELL.

In all seriousness, Veronica is approaching Quagmire-level areas of ickyness here for me. Yeah, I know, this is the modern-age thing to be where everyone is all "yawn, lets have sex", but in all honesty, "lots of casual sex", even with a condom, is a pretty risky endeavor- a tear, a rip, and "oops", guess who's got Lifetime STD A- or lifetime child support, not to mention how empty meaningless sex gets after a while.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #355 on: 14 Jan 2011, 10:17 »

Hominy on the other hand sounds like something I would be prepared to try.

Hominy is generally the type of corn used to make the best grits (also, popcorn!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominy

You can get canned hominy at any given grocery store (usually cooked the same way as normal corn), in White or Yellow varieties (I prefer Yellow, but they're not that different, honestly). Hominy is also a great substitute for regular old corn in chili recipes!

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #356 on: 14 Jan 2011, 10:47 »

.....and Veronica leaves some emotional wreckage in her wake. And perhaps, just perhaps, a band-aid.

Whether he's into casual or not, maybe getting out (and possibly getting a little) is what he needs. BAR HOPPING!

To put a final cap on things: I didn't expect her to "fix everything". But she could've been a LOT more sensitive during her visit. Aside from the "go get laid" in the last comic and the "who wants to see my kid holding a sex toy?" thing (every mom on the planet has embarrassing pics of their child that they LOVE to show people, it's practically federal law), Veronica has been as helpful and comforting as a grits enema. I hope the next time she's in handcuffs, they lose the key for a few hours.

Not gonna get into the grits/hominy debate, but I will say I once gave chicken and waffles a shot (microwaved chicken and blueberry Eggo) and I HIGHLY recommend it.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

westrim

« Reply #357 on: 14 Jan 2011, 10:55 »

This is what grits look like, for those deprived of their presence in local cuisine. Not gritty at all, when cooked, and basically like non flaky oatmeal. And I'll note that digs at Southern culinary habits are misplaced, as they were invented by Native Americans, being basically coarse corn meal. Hominy is whole corn treated with an alkali, very different.

Yankee, oh the ignominy.
Those weirdos put sugar in their grits. Sugar in their grits! That is just dumb!
It's because we put it on oatmeal, so grits are treated similarly. We don't make a distinction between them. I've had grits in several ways- cheese, salt and butter, sugar, cinnamon sugar, butter and sugar, and a couple I'm forgetting. I'd eat them all again except the butter varieties.

As for sweet tea, it's all a matter of how much of a taste one has for bitterness. In my view, sweet tea is better than no tea at all because one believes it's too bitter. Might as well complain that someone puts cream in coffee.

But hey, I'm a westerner, so what do I know about these north/south divides. I'll eat it all, or at least give it a try.

How did we get on this subject, anyway? *checks* Oh, the unconvincing Canadian decided to insult something he's never tried, spelled wrong, and had completely incorrect assumptions about. Well, he picked a good signature, I guess.

westrim

« Reply #358 on: 14 Jan 2011, 11:03 »

Thank you as well and I hope my Edit Combo above doesn't make me look like too much of a prick. For what it's worth, I 1.) may owe you an apology because I swore you were the dude who was like "he should've called his dad" first and I was tired and bluh bluh didn't check all of the posts before mine, 2.) you were one of the guys on the opposing side of the argument I felt was actually being pretty okay and not all pissed off that Dora/Veronica wasn't getting violence done to them. It may kind of be why I jumped on you, cause I'm like "dude can actually take it".

I do endeavor to be amusing and I'm glad to hear I cone off as such, even if I borrow my styles from all over the Internet, and your only sin in my book is taking things a little too seriously. You are insightful and pretty thought-inspiring most times! And I have never seen you make posts like my earliest ones! Those were mega nasty.
Ah, cool. I like being the reasonable one. And naw man, you weren't a prick, no worries.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #359 on: 14 Jan 2011, 12:09 »

And don't forget - you're single now!  You can have lots and lots of casual sex!
Or, you could grow a 'stache.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #360 on: 14 Jan 2011, 12:36 »

Or at least, one obstacle toward the greater good of Marten growing a mustache has been removed; now to overcome his body's total inability to do so!

and I believe it is time for  :psyduck:
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #361 on: 14 Jan 2011, 13:01 »

Au contrair (I know I didn't spell that right whatever I'm tired)! A mustache is the only kind of facial hair he can grow!

But yes, we were running dangerously low on psyduck  :psyduck:

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #362 on: 14 Jan 2011, 13:29 »

I don't like this. Veronica causes a lot of confusion and mayhem, and it's all wrapped up by her just casually leaving?
It seems perfectly in keeping with her character to me. Blow in, tease Marten, chat to the ladies in his life, blow out. Nobody said she was supposed to be a role model. Except, like, half this forum, I guess...  :-D

She didn't see Marigold or Raven........okay, she didn't see Marigold.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #363 on: 14 Jan 2011, 13:56 »

Which kinda begs the question, whats going to happen when Dora's parents find out that she and Marten broke up? Are they going to notice? Or will there be some vague recollection of a guy in a black hoodie having dinner at their place?

It could be quite interesting to see their reaction to the breakup, and possibly quite telling about their relationship with Dora.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #364 on: 14 Jan 2011, 14:21 »

Thinking about it

Yes, Veronica can and is an insensitive train wreck on legs, but I think that deep down she does love Marten.

After all, despite Marty not being too happy about it, and having all the tact of a Viking raiding party when she got there, she did drop everything and come down to see if her son was OK after hearing about the breakup.

She may no exactly be in the list for 'Mother of the Year', but at least it shows she cares enough about him to do that.  If she didn't, do you think she would have interrupted her busy life to do so?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #365 on: 14 Jan 2011, 14:38 »

This is what grits look like, for those deprived of their presence in local cuisine.
It looks like 粥 ( zhōu pronounced roughly joe ) to me. The breakfast of champions!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #366 on: 14 Jan 2011, 18:06 »

Au contraire {close!} (I know I didn't spell that right whatever I'm tired)! A mustache is the only kind of facial hair he can grow!

But yes, we were running dangerously low on psyduck  :psyduck:

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
(the bold type was me)

Oh man, I thought of that comic but all I remembered about it was that his mustache in it was brutal.  I guess he hadn't gone as long as I thought without shaving in that strip, then.

Let the mustache-growing commence!

and just for good measure:  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 18:14 by The Duke »
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #367 on: 14 Jan 2011, 18:34 »

Man, I will tell you as a man from the Yankee-est of Yankee states (Washington State to most, Cascadia if you want to be a huge nerd/hipster douchebag) that grits are really tasty and--

Sweet tea is a what? A what. Oh Hell no. Hell fucking no. I will fight you.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #368 on: 14 Jan 2011, 18:40 »

3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . FIGHT!!!
James The Kugai 

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!
« Reply #369 on: 14 Jan 2011, 18:42 »

In defense of my fellow Canadian, grits don't sound  or look very appetizing to me, either. I've heard them compared to cream of wheat, which does not increase the appea. I think the chicken and waffle combo might be tasty though.
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #370 on: 14 Jan 2011, 18:50 »

Man, I will tell you as a man from the Yankee-est of Yankee states (Washington State to most, Cascadia if you want to be a huge nerd/hipster douchebag) ...

Never thought of Washington as "Yankee", but I'm from the northeast.  I'm not sure Yankee just means "not Southern", I'm pretty sure it was originally a slight against New Englanders that got extended to the Union states in the civil war.  So, Ohio, Indiana (barely), Illinois, PA, NY, MI, MA, ME, NJ, CT, RI, VT, NH, sure.  Even MD, but that was really  close.  But Washington?  You guys joined the party too late...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
  • A Waste of Human Reproductive Facilities
« Reply #371 on: 14 Jan 2011, 19:44 »

Maryland and West Virginia are traitors to the Cause.  MD had their entire legislature (after they had voted for secession--their northern border is the Mason-Dixon line) thrown in prison with no Habeas Corpus, and WV decided that they'd just counter-seceed and scamper to those Union douches.  Granted, the further South you get, the less "South" they consider anyone who is North of them--for instance, in LA, no one who is from north of I-10 (which, I might add, cuts across 2/3rds of the state) is not from "The South".

Washington was close--Oregon was a state at that point, and there was even a battle there if memory serves.

SPC, Infantry
3rd Platoon (RHINO), B Co 256STB
III Corps STB "Phantom Warrior"
USF-I

Watched Pot

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #372 on: 14 Jan 2011, 22:04 »

Man, I will tell you as a man from the Yankee-est of Yankee states (Washington State to most, Cascadia if you want to be a huge nerd/hipster douchebag) that grits are really tasty and--
Washington is not a Yankee state though. Not even a little bit.

Maryland and West Virginia are traitors to the Cause.  MD had their entire legislature (after they had voted for secession--their northern border is the Mason-Dixon line) thrown in prison with no Habeas Corpus, and WV decided that they'd just counter-seceed and scamper to those Union douches.  Granted, the further South you get, the less "South" they consider anyone who is North of them--for instance, in LA, no one who is from north of I-10 (which, I might add, cuts across 2/3rds of the state) is not from "The South".

Washington was close--Oregon was a state at that point, and there was even a battle there if memory serves.

The idea of "The South" most commonly held by people like you has about as much connection to the actual events & ideas of the Confederacy as shamrocks and Pot-o-gold Leprechauns have to actual Irish history.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 22:07 by Watched Pot »
Don't you do cocaine at ME, you son of a bitch!

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #373 on: 14 Jan 2011, 23:30 »

How did we get on this subject, anyway? *checks* Oh, the unconvincing Canadian decided to insult something he's never tried, spelled wrong, and had completely incorrect assumptions about. Well, he picked a good signature, I guess.

If you read a bit further back you'll find the actual stem, in which I expressed the combination of waffles and chicken and in return someone alledged I was a Yankee in what appeared to be a humourously insulting manner. Lighthearted banter ensued. Once I'd been dragged onto the road of culinary arguments, grits was an easy choice, simply because of the name. My knowledge of cornmeal, polenta and other forms of cornmeal extends further than you have incorrectly assumed.

The unconvincing Canadian reference is a whole other unrelated story.

If anyone can elucidate me on the root of the word grits, I would be most grateful.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 23:34 by The Seldom Killer »

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!
« Reply #374 on: 14 Jan 2011, 23:48 »

Well Seldom,"Grit (going back to Old English grytt or grytta or gryttes[1]) is an almost extinct word for bran, chaff, mill-dust also for oats that have been husked but not ground, or that have been only coarsely ground—coarse oatmeal. The word continues to exist in modern dishes like grits, a Native American corn-based food common in the Southern United States, consisting of coarsely ground corn; and the German red grits, Rote Grütze, a traditional pudding made of summer berries and starch and sugar. Grit was here the cheap supplier of starch." states Wikipedia.
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #375 on: 14 Jan 2011, 23:56 »

More importantly, what would Veronica say if Mrs. Whitaker offered her a hearty serving of grits? With or without sweet tea?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #376 on: 15 Jan 2011, 00:12 »

Maybe she's more respectful toward older people? If not, I imagine all sorts of overly blunt comments from her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #377 on: 15 Jan 2011, 00:15 »

Probably along the lines of "Grits and sweet tea? Christ, what a disammmmglumphpbbbbbbt!" Because we know Mrs. W talks to her older daughter.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #378 on: 15 Jan 2011, 00:46 »

:psyduck:

I was only trying to tie in Waffles with the current storyline!!!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #379 on: 15 Jan 2011, 00:47 »

What else doesn't Veronica realize?

She doesn't have her hair up in a ponytail.    - 5 (6.6%)
Black really clashes with her eyes.    - 0 (0%)
That wasn't Splenda she put in her coffee.    - 4 (5.3%)
She got an extra ear piercing since yesterday.    - 2 (2.6%)
Faye has a scar on her right boob.    - 9 (11.8%)
Dora's hair was purple.    - 8 (10.5%)
She doesn't really need glasses.    - 5 (6.6%)
Pintsize has her entire BDSM collection uploaded into his memory.    - 20 (26.3%)
That WASN'T Kirk, but his brother Leeeeroooyyyy Jenkkinnnnsss!!!!    - 8 (10.5%)
Waffles taste better with chicken.    - 15 (19.7%)

Total Voters: 76
Just another Joe like 46

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #380 on: 15 Jan 2011, 02:03 »

I'm sorry, but as I read the thread, I get the sensation it's this segment from Beakman's World.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #381 on: 15 Jan 2011, 07:15 »

Sweet tea is a what? A what. Oh Hell no. Hell fucking no. I will fight you.

Dear, Dr ROFLPWN, it has come to my attention that we will be fighting soon...

I stand by my statement. It is bloody disgusting. Sugar in tea at all is a crime, so much sugar that it basically becomes vaguely tea flavored syrup is a veritable atrocity. The only thing that should be added to iced tea is possibly lemon. Better yet, drink it hot.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #382 on: 15 Jan 2011, 09:24 »

The idea of "The South" most commonly held by people like you has about as much connection to the actual events & ideas of the Confederacy as shamrocks and Pot-o-gold Leprechauns have to actual Irish history.

As much as I'd love to re-fight the Civil War with you, Sir/Ma'am, I just know that I'd win.  I'm not for the South Rising Again, but if you want to infer that, you go right ahead.  I've sworn numerous times to Support and Defend the Constitution from all Enemies, Foreign and Domestic.  So do yourself a favor and stop being a fucking troll.

Back on Topic,
I really hope that we get something else going in this coming week.  The past few weeks with this whole break-up thing are just killing my mojo for appreciation of this comic.
SPC, Infantry
USF-I

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #383 on: 15 Jan 2011, 09:34 »

As much as I'd love to re-fight the Civil War with you, Sir/Ma'am, I just know that I'd win.  I'm not for the South Rising Again, but if you want to infer that, you go right ahead.  I've sworn numerous times to Support and Defend the Constitution from all Enemies, Foreign and Domestic.  So do yourself a favor and stop being a fucking troll.

Back on Topic,
I really hope that we get something else going in this coming week.  The past few weeks with this whole break-up thing are just killing my mojo for appreciation of this comic.

And speaking of trolls - stay out of the sun.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #384 on: 15 Jan 2011, 11:23 »

Man, I wish I could see some sun. I live in Washington and work nights, so I haven't seen the sun since... like October.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #385 on: 15 Jan 2011, 12:44 »

A tourist at Pike Place Market asked a passing child "Excuse me, young man, does it ever stop raining here?".

The kid said "How should I know?! I'm only six!".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #386 on: 15 Jan 2011, 20:39 »

[rimshot]

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #387 on: 16 Jan 2011, 11:55 »

Most of the market is covered; maybe the tourist referred to rains of fish?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #388 on: 16 Jan 2011, 15:38 »

Never thought of Washington as "Yankee", but I'm from the northeast.
Back where I come from Yankee applies to all USAnians... :D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #389 on: 16 Jan 2011, 17:41 »

Someone from the Southeastern US might take offense at that moniker, but I would hope they'd understand once they leave NA that "Yankee" is a term for all Americans.
Just another Joe like 46

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #390 on: 16 Jan 2011, 18:27 »

I doubt that someone from the southeastern US would be able to travel abroad long enough to hear it... Most of their heads would implode if they traveled outside their state.
SPC, Infantry
USF-I

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #391 on: 16 Jan 2011, 18:34 »

... Where y'all from again?
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #392 on: 16 Jan 2011, 20:46 »

The Notth

Island of New Zealand
James The Kugai 

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #393 on: 17 Jan 2011, 03:10 »

How does it feel to be so close to another one of England's penal colonies?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #394 on: 17 Jan 2011, 03:59 »

How does it feel to be so close to another one of England's FORMER penal colonies?

FYP

Sins of the fathers, and all that. 

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #395 on: 17 Jan 2011, 05:44 »

Also, I'm from Arlington, VA.  That means I'm from the North.  No one considers it the South except if you're from, say, Philadelphia or higher.
SPC, Infantry
USF-I

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #396 on: 17 Jan 2011, 05:49 »

'Cept NZ was never a penal colony, so the use of another would imply that there is one other than the smallest of continents nearby.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #397 on: 17 Jan 2011, 09:44 »

'Cept NZ was never a penal colony, so the use of another would imply that there is one other than the smallest of continents nearby.

The US was also one, that was the joke (even though I was referencing Australia).

Holy crap that one shouldn't have required an explanation.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #398 on: 17 Jan 2011, 10:18 »

None of the North American colonies were penal in nature. 

The NA colonies were economically important to England, as sources of food and naval stores, but also as places where furs could be procured cheaply to be sold in Europe at high prices.  Very few prisoners were transported to North America.  France controlled the majority of the continent (or at least access to it) prior to 1763, which meant that starting a population of persons whose loyalty to the Crown would be questionable was not a viable consideration, and then there was that whole inconvenience of the American Revolution which would have discouraged such an idea. 

If you're going to start a penal colony you need to make sure it's hard to get away from (and Australia certainly was at the time of penal colonies), that there is little likelyhood that your political opponents will be able to show up and say,"Want to go take a swing at the bastards that put you here?"  And that if there is a problem with the colonists that such problems do not interfere with vital economic resources.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #399 on: 17 Jan 2011, 13:48 »

Uh, actually Georgia was something of a penal colony at the time, but more as an alternative to debtor's prison.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up