THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 05:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What else doesn't Veronica realize?

She doesn't have her hair up in a ponytail.
- 6 (6.8%)
Black really clashes with her eyes.
- 2 (2.3%)
That wasn't Splenda she put in her coffee.
- 4 (4.5%)
She got an extra ear piercing since yesterday.
- 5 (5.7%)
Faye has a scar on her right boob.
- 9 (10.2%)
Dora's hair was purple.
- 8 (9.1%)
She doesn't really need glasses.
- 5 (5.7%)
Pintsize has her entire BDSM collection uploaded into his memory.
- 24 (27.3%)
That WASN'T Kirk, but his brother Leeeeroooyyyy Jenkkinnnnsss!!!!
- 8 (9.1%)
Waffles taste better with chicken.
- 17 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WDCT 10-14 January 2011 (1836-1840)  (Read 95257 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WDCT 10-14 January 2011 (1836-1840)
« Reply #50 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:08 »

And?

Edit - that's a peculiar page break!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #51 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:16 »

OK, that was . . . . . . .

Ummmmmm 

*Confusedlook*

I hate to say it, but that was . . .  . .

Cump!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #52 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:19 »

That's a placeholder while I try to decide whether the last post of the previous page is simply a low-grade troll.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #53 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:26 »

I was talking about the Comic pwhodges

But yeah, now that I've gone back and looked at the last Post on the first page

Either a bad noob post or a troll needing to be stepped on before he/she/it grows.
James The Kugai 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #54 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:36 »

We are watching!

As for the comic, I simply can't tell if Jeph is going to give us further explanation of last week's cringeworthiness, or simply go forward and let it establish its meaning in a larger context.  Clearly Veronica is still around, so there is the chance for direct explanation; there is also the chance for the rest of the gang to give their views while Veronica is doing something else.  We shall see; but I hope it doesn't stay quite so slow!

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:42 »

Marigold's personality isn't the kind that attracts Marten, and he's shown no trace of being interested. They don't have common interests. If Marigold can swing a relationship at all, others are way more possible than Marten.

Oh hell I did not mean to sound like there was shipping going on. No, I totally agree, Marigold and Marten make no sense as a couple.

I just think that Veronica tactlessly trying to sell Marigold on her son and the nerd-lady's subsequent hugely red face and complete immobility from embarrassment would be hilarious.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #56 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:53 »

...It all goes a bit A-Team as they try to escape with Faye stepping in for Mr. T because she pities fools the most.

With Sven as "Face" and Hanners as "Howlin' Mad Murdoch"?  There is no one who's good at planning though to take Mr. Peppard's role though.

I don't know the role very well, but...Dale?  He seems planny, plotty, and possibly schemey.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #57 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:59 »

...It all goes a bit A-Team as they try to escape with Faye stepping in for Mr. T because she pities fools the most.

With Sven as "Face" and Hanners as "Howlin' Mad Murdoch"?  There is no one who's good at planning though to take Mr. Peppard's role though.

I don't know the role very well, but...Dale?  He seems planny, plotty, and possibly schemey.

There is only one person suitable to make sure the "plan comes together". Someone who has shown they have access to a wide variety of costumes and the ability to come up with wacky enough plans.

Ladies and gentlemen, join me as I raise a cigar to Pint-"Hannibal"-Size.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #58 on: 10 Jan 2011, 14:44 »

Do they all have to be dudes? Cause I can see Dora as Mr. Peppard. Think outside the box!
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #59 on: 10 Jan 2011, 14:54 »

Do they all have to be dudes? Cause I can see Dora as Mr. Peppard. Think outside the box!

Pintsize is asexual, a robot...in fact, I think this was brought up shortly before the move to the new apartment.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #60 on: 10 Jan 2011, 14:56 »

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #61 on: 10 Jan 2011, 15:05 »

Marigold and Marten make no sense as a couple.

I completely disagree, but I hesitate to post a lengthy, well thought out rebuttal as to why this is the case, given that the subject has been coughed at by a moderator. The Sword of Damocles is nothing to sneeze at.

When did simple discussion of relationships become a forbidden topic here, anyway?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #62 on: 10 Jan 2011, 15:17 »

There is no objection to discussing a pairing that you can justify; the cough was to ensure that the discussion didn't take a leap off the path of sense.

mary tyler murder

• Plantmonster
  • lights up the world with her
« Reply #63 on: 10 Jan 2011, 15:22 »

Either a bad noob post or a troll needing to be stepped on before he/she/it grows.

Nope, not really either of those.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #64 on: 10 Jan 2011, 15:26 »

Perhaps you would like to expand on your repeated assertion then, taking into account the discussion of the matter that has taken place already?

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #65 on: 10 Jan 2011, 15:32 »

I can see her loving the plan, but Mr. Peppard kind of needs the cigar, and Dora is much too ladylike for cigars.

Pintsize, though, does not give two cumps, I'm sure.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #66 on: 10 Jan 2011, 15:37 »

Oh hell I did not mean to sound like there was shipping going on. No, I totally agree, Marigold and Marten make no sense as a couple.

I just think that Veronica tactlessly trying to sell Marigold on her son and the nerd-lady's subsequent hugely red face and complete immobility from embarrassment would be hilarious.
Ah, I understand now.

A scene treating Marigold like she did the waitress would send forth a shock wave of awkwardness that would level city blocks.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #67 on: 10 Jan 2011, 15:43 »

Ah, I understand now.

A scene treating Marigold like she did the waitress would send forth a shock wave of awkwardness that would level city blocks.

Ah, weaponized awkwardness...

But onto the main topic, this does feel a bit unsatisfying but conversely it's also over. While I don't particularly like the idea of them ignoring it and not addressing it, I'm willing to consider it a Big Lipped Alligator Moment if it means that the painful reading is done with.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #68 on: 10 Jan 2011, 15:59 »

There is no objection to discussing a pairing that you can justify; the cough was to ensure that the discussion didn't take a leap off the path of sense.

But love always requires a leap!

:-D

In all seriousness-

Here is my reasoning as to why Marigold and Marten are a suitable couple.

The first basic block of compatibility- Physicality
Marten- we haven't seen him show the level of vanity that requires a "certain type" of person for attractivity- we've seen Marten fall for both the short, voluptuous type AND the tall, physically intimidating type. Marigold is not "ugly" (as we've seen previously, she can be very attractive when she puts the effort into it).
Marigold- When it comes to body types, we've seen the Marigold falls very easily for the "not body builder" type- I present as an example of this Angus, who mirrors Marten in body type (different head though).
So first level of compatibility- check

Second level of compatibility- Emotionality
Marten- he's already gone through two (three?) bouts of dealing with Alpha Women, and he's been burned. Emotionally, at this point his next relationship may not require a domineering personality, but instead focus on someone a little less domineering. More Dora-type personality relationships very well could result in more of the same heartache.
Marigold- though she's a submissive introvert, at the same time her and a domineering partner seems like it would just cause conflict. Emotionally, at this point someone who is patient, kind and more apt to talk things over rather than yell would be a good match for her.
So the first level of compatibility- check

Third level of compatibility- Common interests
Given that when Marten and Dora first started dating they had barely any common interests at all (besides Faye as a friend), there's a good starting point here. Both Marten and Marigold are creative type personalities with an interest in anthroPCs. Yes, there are things they don't share (Marten doesn't play WOW), but at the same time that's not a bad thing, persay- in fact, it can be indeed good! Couples need separate interests, things that they can do apart from each other; the ability to enjoy separate things allows for the retention of individual sense of self while at the same time the common interests allow for the enjoyability of time spent together.

We've also seen that Marigold, when coaxed "out of her shell", can indeed enjoy a lot of the commonality the group enjoys. She may spend a lot of time by herself, but I wouldn't go so far as to interpret that as some have (that is, the level of emotional stunt)- sometimes individuals who are introverted are just shy.

My reasoning also might stem from a bit of projection (as I have seen others on here have done)- My own current marriage bears a very strong resemblance to a Marigold-Marten pairing, and it's been a very happy ten years so far...

So it's not just a matter of "here's two random people, let's toss them together", I've got some solid reasoning behind it.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #69 on: 10 Jan 2011, 16:30 »

You had to go there in the weekly comic thread, huh?

In other news, we again have the infamous 'Marten sighing'. Where does it come from? And what might it mean? We will have more on this story later.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #70 on: 10 Jan 2011, 16:33 »

My guess is that Marten sighing most likely means his depression is NOT resolved, and he just put on a happy face for his mother.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #71 on: 10 Jan 2011, 16:36 »

But onto the main topic, this does feel a bit unsatisfying but conversely it's also over. While I don't particularly like the idea of them ignoring it and not addressing it, I'm willing to consider it a Big Lipped Alligator Moment if it means that the painful reading is done with.

Who the hell said it's over? You think Veronica flew all the way from California to Massachusetts (man that's a tough one to spell) to stick around for just one day? She only stayed for a bit during her last visit because it was mostly for business; this is a purely personal visit so I wouldn't be surprised if she stuck around for at least one more day.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2011, 16:45 by iduguphergrave »
- Alvin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #72 on: 10 Jan 2011, 16:38 »

* Is it cold in here? dons moderator hat, clears throat

Hey, that's why I stopped after  :psyduck:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #73 on: 10 Jan 2011, 16:43 »

You had to go there in the weekly comic thread, huh?

As a cogently expressed suggestion of a direction the comic could go, this is acceptable; it is neither creepy, nor demanding that Jeph should do this regardless.  If it attracts posts that don't fit the rules, they will be dealt with.

<stuff>

Really, in this scenario, the main thing missing from our present perspective is any sign of actual attraction.  Given that the whole time they've known each other Marten has been with Dora and Marigold has mainly been either been introverted or (for a time) hankering after Angus, there hasn't been much opportunity for such an attraction to grow or be recognised.  I guess we have to wait on Jeph for that to happen or not.

My guess is that Marten sighing most likely means his depression is NOT resolved, and he just put on a happy face for his mother.

Given that it's only something like 48 hours or so since the breakup, this is hardly surprising.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #74 on: 10 Jan 2011, 16:44 »

What else can Marten's mom do to embarrass him before she leaves?

Go out drinking with him - and make out with Tai.    - 11 (14.7%)
Try to get him and Dora back together.    - 4 (5.3%)
Try to get him and FAYE together.    - 7 (9.3%)
Buy him a new corset.    - 12 (16%)
Waffles.    - 10 (13.3%)
Nothing - she'll be good from here out.    - 13 (17.3%)
...except when she tries to get Vicky's phone number.    - 3 (4%)
PSYCHE! This week's gonna be all about Dora's counseling appointment.    - 15 (20%)

Total Voters: 75

EDIT: This new poll would have to be the strangest poll I've ever done. And I LIKE IT. :D
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2011, 16:47 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #75 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:34 »

Yrzt
James The Kugai 

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
  • Genetically Enginered to RAWK!
« Reply #76 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:43 »

Ahh, bummer. I just got around to reading QC and only got a conclusion to the Well-meaning mom+ Spinless son= awakdness/hillarity? arc. At least I'm hoping it's a conculison. Veronic's a joy as always, but may be over staying her welcome. By the way, am I the only one who's noticed that Marten sighs an awful lot? :-D Then when you take into account his passivness, his bad luck with women, his bad luck overalll, his frienship with a bossy girl who physicaly abuses him, the fact that he tends to more or less where the same thing everyday, his constant battle for dominace over his domestic pet who'c cleary smarter then he looks, and his good ole' loser charm, you get one unwavering conclusion.

Guys. Marten is 20-something Charlie Brown.
"She's a chick. She's got a sword. She hasn't seen a man in like forever! I fail to see a pro- oh, there you go.."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #77 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:46 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #78 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:47 »

Good grief!
James The Kugai 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #79 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:55 »

So... Pintsize is Snoopy? 

And Faye is - Lucy?  Or is that Dora, and Faye is the little red-haired girl? 

Tai is Marcy. 

Hanners is Sally? 

Steve is definitely Pigpen. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
"She's a chick. She's got a sword. She hasn't seen a man in like forever! I fail to see a pro- oh, there you go.."

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #81 on: 10 Jan 2011, 20:10 »

Tai is Marcy. 
Hanners is Sally? 

From the perspective of things, Dora seems like Peppermint Patty to me. Marigold is more of the Marcy type. Faye doesn't really have a Peanuts-like counterpart, given that she doesn't have the malevolence of Lucy, the irritating vapidness of Sally or the innocent nature of the Lil Red Haired Girl. Maybe Violet? Her and Patty are best friends (mirroring the QC relationship), she has a very strong personality and she spends a lot of time verbally abusing Chuck. Hanners.... Emily, maybe?

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #82 on: 10 Jan 2011, 20:15 »

- Alvin

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #83 on: 10 Jan 2011, 20:37 »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I cast two females in what were male parts (well agreed with another as opposed to being the originator) and was asking for a hint for the forth. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
« Reply #84 on: 10 Jan 2011, 20:47 »

Tai is Marcy. 
Hanners is Sally? 

From the perspective of things, Dora seems like Peppermint Patty to me. Marigold is more of the Marcy type. Faye doesn't really have a Peanuts-like counterpart, given that she doesn't have the malevolence of Lucy, the irritating vapidness of Sally or the innocent nature of the Lil Red Haired Girl. Maybe Violet? Her and Patty are best friends (mirroring the QC relationship), she has a very strong personality and she spends a lot of time verbally abusing Chuck. Hanners.... Emily, maybe?

If you go by the idea that the QC cast is the Peanuts gang aged into their 20's then it's not too hard too see Lucy as Faye. Aggressive, sarcastic, verbaly abusive, and a lose understanding of frineship, but not really evil. She just likes to be thought as that way. :-D

And am I the only one who belives this must mean Winslow is Woodstock?

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #85 on: 10 Jan 2011, 22:25 »

Haha I actually kind of see Hanners as Linus...he has a few issues (security blanket, The Great Pumpkin), he waxes philosophical and she has on occasion, they're both dreamers, both caring people that try to help others with their problems and while she isn't a calm little Buddha like Linus is, I think she can achieve that, especially when everything's all right.

Plus Linus is my favorite character so there

As to the comic...
I'm going to wait and see what happens, basically. That was, imho, a terrible 'ending' for the last small arc of action in the comic - the day he spent with her - so I'm waiting to see if anything's addressed. I doubt that was a genuine smile though.

And I think he sighed because he's just damn -tired-, lmao. It's been a taxing day.
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #86 on: 10 Jan 2011, 22:31 »

Dear Jeph:

Thank you for "getting it".

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #87 on: 10 Jan 2011, 22:47 »

"Getting it" as in, "Veronica was acting more mean-spirited than clueless"?

Or something else?
Just another Joe like 46

LordVaughn

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Now in grape flavor!
« Reply #88 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:03 »

I oddly saw this coming once I saw Dora's face being drawn. Even still so, I found it funny.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #89 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:10 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is all.
Just another Joe like 46

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:17 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is all.

I second this
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Armadillo

• Emoticontraindication

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #92 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:23 »

Thrown out of his own apartment...

Where will he spend the night?!?!?

What?
 :evil:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #93 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:25 »

Sven

Sven you are the best

The best

Fourthing the chorus of  :lol:
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Destenoth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #94 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:31 »

If Dora's tearing up that easily, then I'd say it's a good thing the other cast members have been cutting her some slack.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #95 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:36 »

Sven goes to visit Marten and then the two of them go out drinking?

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #96 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:38 »

I laughed pretty hard at today's comic.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Tabfan

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #97 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:42 »

Thrown out of his own apartment...

Where will he spend the night?!?!?

What?
 :evil:

Yep, that's the direction I see it heading, too, espcecially since Marten's Mom specifically mentioned staying at a hotel in the last comic. The Devil's in the details, don't ya know?  8-)
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2011, 00:55 by Tabfan »
"Sham-bam-bamina."  Davis the Gray from Sockbaby

bigmouth

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #98 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:48 »

But love always requires a leap!

:-D

In all seriousness-

Here is my reasoning as to why Marigold and Marten are a suitable couple.

The first basic block of compatibility- Physicality
Marten- we haven't seen him show the level of vanity that requires a "certain type" of person for attractivity- we've seen Marten fall for both the short, voluptuous type AND the tall, physically intimidating type. Marigold is not "ugly" (as we've seen previously, she can be very attractive when she puts the effort into it).
Marigold- When it comes to body types, we've seen the Marigold falls very easily for the "not body builder" type- I present as an example of this Angus, who mirrors Marten in body type (different head though).
So first level of compatibility- check

Second level of compatibility- Emotionality
Marten- he's already gone through two (three?) bouts of dealing with Alpha Women, and he's been burned. Emotionally, at this point his next relationship may not require a domineering personality, but instead focus on someone a little less domineering. More Dora-type personality relationships very well could result in more of the same heartache.
Marigold- though she's a submissive introvert, at the same time her and a domineering partner seems like it would just cause conflict. Emotionally, at this point someone who is patient, kind and more apt to talk things over rather than yell would be a good match for her.
So the first level of compatibility- check

Third level of compatibility- Common interests
Given that when Marten and Dora first started dating they had barely any common interests at all (besides Faye as a friend), there's a good starting point here. Both Marten and Marigold are creative type personalities with an interest in anthroPCs. Yes, there are things they don't share (Marten doesn't play WOW), but at the same time that's not a bad thing, persay- in fact, it can be indeed good! Couples need separate interests, things that they can do apart from each other; the ability to enjoy separate things allows for the retention of individual sense of self while at the same time the common interests allow for the enjoyability of time spent together.

We've also seen that Marigold, when coaxed "out of her shell", can indeed enjoy a lot of the commonality the group enjoys. She may spend a lot of time by herself, but I wouldn't go so far as to interpret that as some have (that is, the level of emotional stunt)- sometimes individuals who are introverted are just shy.

My reasoning also might stem from a bit of projection (as I have seen others on here have done)- My own current marriage bears a very strong resemblance to a Marigold-Marten pairing, and it's been a very happy ten years so far...

So it's not just a matter of "here's two random people, let's toss them together", I've got some solid reasoning behind it.

Completely agree (see my first post), and I'd like to toss my 2c into this:
- Marigold twittered something about playing oboe, some time ago. That could add to the "common interests". (Guitar + oboe could be interesting)
- http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1466

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #99 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:52 »

I'm not sure she locked him out of his apartment; I think she just ran upstairs and locked the door to the bedroom she's staying in.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up