THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 21:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So... the NGP.  (Read 3548 times)

AnAverageWriter

So... the NGP.
« on: 27 Jan 2011, 19:50 »

Anyone else planning on getting one? I mean, yeah, it's pretty early on, but a PS3 in hand does sound like a recipe for fun.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: So... the NGP.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2011, 21:17 »

Eh.  Handhelds have failed to dazzle me since I gained the monetary capacity to buy them.  I think it has something to do with screen size.  There are a ton of fun-sounding games out there but I just can't bring myself to drop money on a device to play games on a screen the size of an index card when there are ones you can hook up to a big-ass TV.  I would play the shit out of that one that uses the rear touch pad to change the terrain, but only if I was given it for free.

There certainly is a market out there for handhelds, I won't deny that.  I do own an iPod touch, but that's mostly because it can do a TON of other things besides games.  I just don't consider myself part of that audience.  The last handheld game I played was Pokemon Gold.  I've still got it around here somewhere, but I haven't touched it in at least 6-7 years.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:46 »

I have an iPhone for games on the go and don't own a PS3 because for a while there Sony forgot they were trying to make a gaming platform.  The PSP was unimpressive, the PSP GO even moreso.  Unless this new thing has something absolutely amazing going for it I very much doubt I'll want it either.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:13 »

In all technical respects, it's a magnificent looking machine.

And yet, all I can drum up for it is a "eh". It looks like the PSP in form and thus all I think about is the PSP and I had some good times with that thing but there's a reason I have no idea where it is right now. Mediocrity in a glossy black shell.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2011, 12:57 »

They lost me at touch screen, another touch screen on the back, SIXAXIS, dual cameras, as well as 3G.  Really Sony, you want to throw in the whole kitchen sink?  Why not add a microphone and a cup-holder while you're at it?  Honestly, the next generation of handhelds have totally lost me.  Look at the list of games that are being released for the console, for the NGP it's

Uncharted
Killzone
WipeOut
Resistance
LittleBigPlanet

What reason do I have to play these on what's going to be your amazing little screen when I can play the better game on my Playstation?  And how much is this thing going to cost?  From what I've been hearing, a lot of analysts are saying 300-350.  So...I can choose between buying an Xbox, a PS3, a Wii, or this guy.  Why would I want this guy at all? 

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2011, 14:06 »

add a microphone

It has two.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ikrik

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2011, 14:15 »

How did I miss that?  Anyways, it's just another feature that's generally useless.  The only reason the microphone works on the DS is when you scream "OBJECTION!" and "TAKE THAT!" But that's really about it.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2011, 15:00 »

just doesn't seem to care about the new Playstation Portable, and will never call it the NGP

That's how I feel about it, though that's how I feel about the 3DS right now too. Nothing has seemed to wow me so far, and it seems like a continuation of what I saw as a disappointing platform.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2011, 19:14 »

It's going to cost a bajillion dollars too. Sony has learned absolutely nothing from the launches of the PSP and PS3, it's kind of depressing. I may not be picking up a 3DS on launch day, but at least I know Nintendo will make good on the hardware eventually. The NGP (stupid name) will have the same problem that the PSP does where it has console style games that are technically impressive but just plain aren't fun to play on a handheld.

But if it continues to be super successful in Japan then I'll probably end up buying one near the end of its life like I just did with the first PSP, since I can't resist the siren call of absurdy niche ridiculous Japanese shit. They'll put a Culdcept game out for it or something and I will buy one and hate myself the whole time.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2011, 19:23 »

Storm Rider's post distinguishes why I prefer the DS over the PSP even if neither of them were really earth shaking. Quite simply, the DS knows its place. Games like Picross DS simply don't have much to lose by being put on a small screen.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2011, 19:25 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2011, 19:29 »

Exactly. The DS might not be as powerful as the PSP but it has distinct experiences that I don't already get with my home consoles. Stuff like Ghost Trick (for example) wouldn't really work as a full-blown console experience, but they're well suited to being played in short bursts on a smaller screen. For me, most of the stuff on smartphones relies on simple inertia to keep the player's attention, so I still see the value in a dedicated handheld gaming platform. I just think it needs to strike the right balance in the game experiences it offers, and in my opinion Nintendo has been far better about seeking out the sweet spot than Sony.

Plus I would rather play a new Paper Mario than literally any franchise Sony has ever produced.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Ikrik

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2011, 21:19 »

Asides from the remakes of n64 games, whatever Atlus publishes, and Professor Layton the 3DS looks rather depressing.  I think one of the major advantages of the DS was the fact that it wasn't graphically powerful, it did a good job of preventing a lot of pre-existing franchises to make a bland game on it.  The PSP didn't have such luck and I think that's one of the reasons it's so lackluster.  Asides from stuff like Patapon and LocoRoco it barely had any franchises that were unique to it.  Another God of War, Resistance, and Killzone? Sigh.  The NGP seems to following in the exact same route as the PSP in that regard. 

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:54 »

True story, I'm waiting for the 3DS just because I know its gonna mean a drop in price on the DSi XL. Which I want to buy because I can't justify looking at a tiny tiny screen for any reason anymore because with my ever worsening prescription on my glasses makes it give me a headache to look at small things for extended period of time. Oh yeah and the fact that I have a 42 inch plasma TV with an XBOX 360 as well.

As far as I'm concerned the NGP doesn't even exist yet in my radar. Maybe, just maybe if something actually cool comes out for it and a friend gets one or something, otherwise I'm just gonna save up for a PS3, which are almost affordable now.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #13 on: 01 Feb 2011, 01:15 »

save up for a PS3, which are almost affordable now.

Yeah, this is something I am considering.  The gen2 PS3 is actually kinda neat, and there are by now a couple of PS3 exclusives that I would like to play.  I still can't really justify paying however much it is simply to be a secondary console, though.  So I am torn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up