Poll

MOMENT OF THE WEEK TIME!

Professional Sexmaster.
- 1 (1.4%)
Late-Night TV show host.
- 0 (0%)
He'd better have an amazing delivery.
- 1 (1.4%)
I can't go out there! What if they're making out?
- 1 (1.4%)
Yes, you should probably stay in here. My Goodness.
- 23 (32.4%)
Actually, I was thinking about staying here to...
- 2 (2.8%)
Real smooth, Barry White.
- 7 (9.9%)
Come on dude, Boy Scout motto!
- 5 (7%)
Is it cool if we, um, don't have sex yet?
- 1 (1.4%)
Butt pimple the size of a dime?
- 4 (5.6%)
So much for my mental image of you as a flawless angel.
- 2 (2.8%)
Captain Backhair and Sasquatch relatives
- 9 (12.7%)
We don't have to watch if it's gonna be too scary for you.
- 2 (2.8%)
This is just the opening credits! (It's a spooky font!)
- 13 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Thread (30 Jan - 4 Feb 2011, 1851-55)  (Read 63743 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT Thread (30 Jan - 4 Feb 2011, 1851-55)
« on: 30 Jan 2011, 15:41 »

And here we go!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

Re: WCDT Thread (30 Jan - 4 Feb 2011, 1851-55)
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2011, 16:37 »

As funny as it could be...I just can't see Hanners going to a strip club. The thought of sweat, near naked bodies (and in her mind) unhygenic conditions would render her catatonic...or dead. In which case, Marten, Steve and Cosette would be convicted of manslaughter and as we all know, Marten is too pretty to go to jail.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2011, 18:47 »

As funny as it could be...I just can't see Hanners going to a strip club. The thought of sweat, near naked bodies (and in her mind) unhygenic conditions would render her catatonic...or dead. In which case, Marten, Steve and Cosette would be convicted of manslaughter and as we all know, Marten is too pretty to go to jail.
One more bad encounter with meds and it's Hanners up there on stage. In "cute boyshorts, by the way." Singing "Row row row your boat." And then her mom buys the place.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2011, 22:06 »

I've finally given up on Faye & Angus going on a date.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2011, 23:17 »

Never give up the ship! 

[lashes self to the wheel]

:-D

Edit:  Just checked the ustream Justin TV stream, looks like it's Angus and Faye for the win! 
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2011, 23:20 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2011, 23:23 »

I've finally given up on Faye & Angus going on a date.

They already went on a date. (Starts here, ends here.)

Granted it was six months ago in our time, but it was just a few days ago in QC time.

Then they were playing off second base at Angus's place right after the big break-up.

Angus and Faye are dating. It's just that Marten/Dora breakup drama has pushed their story to the back burner.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2011, 23:34 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2011, 23:36 »

I voted for "Waffles!" just because having waffles on tap would be cool.  They'd open the spigot and dispense the waffle batter into this little portable waffle-maker that they hand to you so you can plug it in at your table...

akronnick

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2011, 23:46 »

Comic's up.

Looks like Angus and Faye are rounding second and heading for third.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Antario

• Larger than most fish
  • Evil eye is watching you
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2011, 00:04 »

looks more like a score to me, as soon as they've exhausted their current line of delaying jokes
i think their both just a bit scared to really start this

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2011, 00:08 »

Angus' Wang would not be the worst name for a band—for one thing, folks could argue about whether it should be Angus' or Angus's.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2011, 00:15 »

The direction of Faye's gaze looks a little off, unless Angus' pen really is mightier than the sword. I suppose it would be in poor taste to make a joke about Angus beef?  :angel:
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 00:18 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2011, 00:18 »

Angus and Faye are dating. It's just that Marten/Dora breakup drama has pushed their story to the back burner.

Now I'm seeing the breakup drama in a whole, new, more positive light.

akronnick

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2011, 00:41 »

The direction of Faye's gaze looks a little off, unless Angus' pen really is mightier than the sword. I suppose it would be in poor taste to make a joke about Angus beef?  :angel:

You could, but 'Piggly Wiggly' is much funnier!

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2011, 01:06 »

Had to chuckle at today's comic, Jeph did a good job writing the coy/saucy dialogue. Glad to see more of Angus and Faye as usual, especially because as much as I like Angus, I feel like he still has a lot of room to be explored as a character.

Edit: As an aside, the art looks very good today. Faye's expressions (especially in panel two) just look great!
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 01:26 by Sharp »
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2011, 01:19 »

Wait, I thought small talk was AFTER the sex? Or am I doing it wrong?

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2011, 01:30 »

Call me fickle, but today's comic makes me quite upset. I understand that Faye has a life of her own and as adults, adults are going to get flirty and intimate with each other while dating. What I didn't like about the comic is the fact that it came RIGHT AFTER Marten is realizing he has to sleep alone for the first time in a while. I just thought the whole timing of the strip was off. I had to click 'Previous' on the screen just to see if I was imagining the comic coming right after Marten. Oh well...  :|

Obaten

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://halomapscouk.proboards50.com/
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2011, 01:43 »

Wow, am I the only person who thought that angus' arm in the first panel looks like a hilariously distended boob?
Be nice to the newbie?

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2011, 01:56 »

Sex puns! Oh my stars and happy whales. It's almost like the comics old witty banter in the new improved shiny wrapping. Luverly.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:28 »

So they are talking about fictional positions:-D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Antario

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:44 »

that example pun in the first one is indeed terrible

"That's a harp he's playing, Nobby," said one of them, after watching Imp for a while.
"Lyre."
"No, it's the honest truth, I'm—" The fat Guard frowned and looked down. "You've just been waiting all your life to say that, ain't you Nobby," he said. "I bet you was born hoping that one day someone'd say 'That's a harp' so you could say 'lyre', on account of it being a pune or play on words. Well, har har."

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:17 »

Call me fickle, but today's comic makes me quite upset. I understand that Faye has a life of her own and as adults, adults are going to get flirty and intimate with each other while dating. What I didn't like about the comic is the fact that it came RIGHT AFTER Marten is realizing he has to sleep alone for the first time in a while. I just thought the whole timing of the strip was off. I had to click 'Previous' on the screen just to see if I was imagining the comic coming right after Marten. Oh well...  :|

Wait, what? So... it's ok that Faye will EVENTUALLY have sex with Angus, but it's not ok if she has it at the same time that her friend is single and moping about it? How does that work? When your friends go through breakups, do you abstain from having sex with/seeing your significant other during the time period that they are upset about it? I mean, personally, if my boyfriend broke up with me, I wouldn't expect my roommate to stop seeing or even inviting over HER boyfriend until I was less upset about my singledom.

Or do you mean you don't like the narrative choice Jeph made in putting this comic right after the Marten one? I gotta say, I think that's called "ironic juxtaposition."Or even thematic juxtaposition.  As one relationship fades, another blossoms, cycle of life goes on, yadda yadda.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 17:37 by JackFaerie »

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:25 »

Any jokes about "Angus beef" here will par for the course. 

Carry on.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2011, 04:55 »

No way, too easy.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

tbones

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:23 »

As for today's comic....

It makes me really nervous looking at a couple just about seconds to get it on... it makes me feel like SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

Not like the after - pillow talk. something had happen, and now they are disscussing how bad/good it was.

"Remember the part with the space suit?"
"Yeah, i'm never doing that again, no matter how awesome it was"
 :psyduck:

*EDIT*

Hope i'm not crossing the line here.

« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 05:26 by tbones »
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:25 »

For the record, for non-native english speakers, many of these "bad puns" are hard enough to understand in the first place.
Carpe Diem

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:31 »

Call me fickle, but today's comic makes me quite upset. I understand that Faye has a life of her own and as adults, adults are going to get flirty and intimate with each other while dating. What I didn't like about the comic is the fact that it came RIGHT AFTER Marten is realizing he has to sleep alone for the first time in a while. I just thought the whole timing of the strip was off. I had to click 'Previous' on the screen just to see if I was imagining the comic coming right after Marten. Oh well...  :|

Wait, what? So... it's ok that Faye will EVENTUALLY have sex with Angus, but it's not ok if she has it at the same time that her friend is single and moping about it? How does that work? When your friends go through breakups, do you abstain from having sex with/seeing your significant other during the time period that they are upset about it? I mean, personally, if my boyfriend broke up with me, I wouldn't expect my roommate to stop seeing or even inviting over HER boyfriend until I was less upset about my singledom.

Or do you mean you don't like the narrative joice Jeph made in putting this comic right after the Marten one? I gotta say, I think that's called "ironic juxtaposition."Or even thematic juxtaposition.  As one relationship fades, another blossoms, cycle of life goes on, yadda yadda.

I was referring to Jeph's flow of showing Angus and Faye right after seeing a moping Marten. I just thought it was a little soon is all.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:49 »

There were videos posted on the Internet on 9/12 with the collapse of the World Trade Center tower footage set to Benny Hill/Yakety Sax music (I laughed).

It is never "too soon".

EDITED for accuracy, the original posting was on SomethingAwful.com.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 07:18 by Odin »

tbones

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:04 »

There were videos posted on Youtube on 9/12 with the collapse of the World Trade Center tower footage set to Benny Hill/Yakety Sax music (I laughed).

It is never "too soon".

uh, I don't know much about U.S.A. tragedies, but i'm sure it was on september 11.

*EDIT*

That's what happens when you read too fast... sorry! :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 06:32 by tbones »
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:18 »

There were videos posted on Youtube on 9/12 with the collapse of the World Trade Center tower footage set to Benny Hill/Yakety Sax music (I laughed).

It is never "too soon".

uh, I don't know much about U.S.A. tragedies, but i'm sure it was on september 11.
He meant they were being posted the day after.

Antario

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #29 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:33 »

For the record, for non-native english speakers, many of these "bad puns" are hard enough to understand in the first place.

the one i quoted took a google seach for the word and i actually had to prenounce it before i got it, if this came up in some conversation i wouldnt get it...since who the hell knows what a lyre is?
especially us non-native speakers

It is never "too soon".

everybody has their mechanism for dealing with stuff, allthough that is pretty horrible.... :S
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 06:35 by Antario »

billydaking

• Plantmonster
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:47 »

It is never "too soon".

Considering that Youtube didn't start up until 2005....no, that did not happen, and there is a "too soon."

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #31 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:09 »

It is never "too soon".

Considering that Youtube didn't start up until 2005....no, that did not happen, and there is a "too soon."

Yeah, I got the site wrong, but the video was originally created on SomethingAwful.com the day after and posted all over the Internet (which shouldn't surprise anyone, since SomethingAwful is also responsible for SWAP.AVI and "Your poison womb is making heaven too fucking crowded").

There is still never a "too soon", keep in mind that I was using an extreme example to point out how using a "too soon" argument to dislike today's comic is hilariously dumb, especially when we're discussing something posted on the Internet.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 07:19 by Odin »

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #32 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:14 »

Call me fickle, but today's comic makes me quite upset. I understand that Faye has a life of her own and as adults, adults are going to get flirty and intimate with each other while dating. What I didn't like about the comic is the fact that it came RIGHT AFTER Marten is realizing he has to sleep alone for the first time in a while. I just thought the whole timing of the strip was off. I had to click 'Previous' on the screen just to see if I was imagining the comic coming right after Marten. Oh well...  :|

Or do you mean you don't like the narrative joice Jeph made in putting this comic right after the Marten one? I gotta say, I think that's called "ironic juxtaposition."Or even thematic juxtaposition.  As one relationship fades, another blossoms, cycle of life goes on, yadda yadda.

I was referring to Jeph's flow of showing Angus and Faye right after seeing a moping Marten. I just thought it was a little soon is all.
I'm not sure I see the difference, broadly speaking, anyway (I admit the specifics get a little murky, but don't they always?) in this and when Faye was alone and Marten had Dora (literally), sometimes in the same apartment. Of course, a week or so ago (our time), we saw that Drunk-Off-His-Ass Marten (as opposed to Marten when his brain is functional) 'thought'* much like you do — and tried to act on it. So perhaps you could view this as a little instant Karma. A rather benign sort, too, since Marten doesn't know a thing about it other than in theory.

*The quote's for Marten, not Renewman. I understand Renewman's reaction—I just disagree.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 07:17 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #33 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:57 »

Alternate lines for Angus in panel 4:

"I think you'll find I'm actually overqualified."

"Allow me to introduce tonight's special guest."

"You wanna see a really ginormous head?"

Also, looove Faye's sexyface in panel 4.
- Alvin

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #34 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:42 »

I thought he let that "not qualified" line go a little too easily, too...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #35 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:44 »

looks more like a score to me, as soon as they've exhausted their current line of delaying jokes
i think their both just a bit scared to really start this

Sounds about right.

If Jeph aims at maximum awkwardness, we might see a strip with some pillow talk indicating that their first time was not quite the stellar experience they had hoped. Just to extract a round of cheers from the anti-shippers. Of course, on the next strip Faye & Angus succesfully brush the disappointment off. And the shippers rejoice.

I am not making a prediction or anything. :roll: For a longest time I thought that there's no way Jeph would dare break up Dora & Marten, so my batting average is kinda low.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #36 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:07 »

Looks like Faye is going to be the USDA here...

...because she's about to inspect some grade-A Angus sirloin.

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(oh God why did I just do that what's wrong with me)
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #37 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:19 »

Well on the bright side you got it out of your system. Now let's never speak of this again. 

(the link is your punishment)
- Alvin

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #38 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:52 »

"Allow me to fill you with Anguish."
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

charybdis

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #39 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:59 »

(the link is your punishment)

Damn you! That's the third time I've gotten stuck there in as many days!

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #40 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:22 »

Sorry? I don't get it
- Alvin

Antario

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #41 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:30 »

Sorry? I don't get it

anquish -i -h = angus     filling etc...well you get it now i hope

shiroihikari

• Plantmonster
« Reply #42 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:00 »

Bit of a nitpick here: It kinda bugs me that Faye and Angus have the same glasses and similar hairstyles.  But that's probably just me.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #43 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:05 »

Like Marten and Dora?  Clearly compatible, for a while...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

tbones

« Reply #44 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:13 »

Like Marten and Dora?  Clearly compatible, for a while...
Does that mean that the boat is going to sink in the ocean? Like doteen's (or Marra?) ship had.... has..... had?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #45 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:50 »

That's a good question. There's an old thread about it:
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,24987.0.html
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

rje

« Reply #46 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:56 »

Aw yay! This comic made me grin, they just look so relaxed with one another. And happy! I mean look at Faye she's just so...idk, I see her expression as happy and relaxed. And even Angus just had an easy smile, not a 'ho ho ho' smirk or nervous grin at her discovering his be-- er, writing partner's excitement. I like those two together so this bodes well. I especially love Faye's expression in the last panel. I'm sure they'll have a conversation about getting it on before getting it on, but I really hope they do instead of talk themselves out of it.
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #47 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:58 »

Does that mean that the boat is going to sink in the ocean? Like doteen's (or Marra?) ship had.... has..... had?

No portmanteaus, please;  and let's not slip back into all these nautical terms.  We can discuss the possible course of various (fictional) relationships in sensible language, without testing the edges of the forbidden territory.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #48 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:04 »

This is the second conversation we've seen Faye and Angus have about aspirations, which puts them two up on pretty much everyone else*. I see them being good for each other.

* Exception, as always, made for Everyone's Little Sister, who wanted to be a really normal cybernetic Martian princess by now.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #49 on: 31 Jan 2011, 13:41 »

Sorry? I don't get it

anquish -i -h = angus     filling etc...well you get it now i hope

That's one hell of a stretch for a pun that doesn't even make that much sense but whatever
- Alvin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up