Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moment of the Week Time:

"Coffee tastes so much better when it's made by a beautiful woman."
- 6 (7.5%)
But doesn't that FREAK YOU OUT?
- 16 (20%)
He was trying to flirt with you. (Well he wasn't very good at it!)
- 11 (13.8%)
Padma vs. Faye!
- 3 (3.8%)
Muay Thai vs. Punch-fu (Savannah-style)
- 2 (2.5%)
Would you PLEASE stop SPARRING in the middle of the STREET
- 8 (10%)
Ed Bronchovsky's in Greenfield
- 0 (0%)
The big oven explosion of '98.
- 1 (1.3%)
Glass eye and the twitch
- 1 (1.3%)
We miss you... everyone but Renee
- 0 (0%)
Gee, that romantic arc sounds awfully familiar.
- 0 (0%)
She even LOOKS like you, Faye...
- 0 (0%)
So I have a type!
- 0 (0%)
She's even CRANKY like Renee!
- 1 (1.3%)
It's not the only reason I like you.
- 0 (0%)
Hidden core of pure, molten bitchnium
- 8 (10%)
MY eventual goal is to be an evil millionaire...
- 1 (1.3%)
I am your type, after all.
- 22 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 7-11 February 2011 (1856-1860)  (Read 74222 times)

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
Re: WCDT 7-11 February 2011 (1856-1860)
« Reply #250 on: 11 Feb 2011, 14:21 »

Oh, and hey!  Spam!

<clicks fingers - gone>

Yay!  Huzzah to you sir!   :mrgreen:

I'm glad Angus and Faye's discussion didn't go the obvious argument route the way it seemed it might.  Angus might not have much game but he's got some.  More importantly, he knows Faye well enough to know how to approach a sticky topic with her now -- thrown-across-room avoidance seems to do wonders for one's logic fu, even if he still manages to get his foot jammed in his mouth from time to time.  Plus, Faye's relaxed a bit since things started with him.  We'll see where it goes.

I'm actually looking forward to a discussion of the Secret Bakery among the main cast.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #251 on: 11 Feb 2011, 15:22 »

I get an interesting "Roseanne and Dan Conner" vibe from these two.  It works because even though they both will sacrifice each other's feelings for a clever retort, they both know  it's what they do, and so they're able to read around it. 
Oh my, you realize there are a lot of people on this board who have NO IDEA what you're talking about?

(Hint for you young'ns: that lady who got nailed with the log in the Snickers Super Bowl commercial is Roseanne.)

You know, I'm not that old, but my god, reading that just makes me feel ancient.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #252 on: 11 Feb 2011, 15:25 »

It works because even though they both will sacrifice each other's feelings for a clever retort, they both know  it's what they do, and so they're able to read around it. 

I have friends who sometimes wonder if me and my wife hate each other. Its just the way we work, and we really wouldn't want it any other way. I couldn't date someone who couldn't take and give jokes as well as me and my wife can.

Also, man, has anyone noticed the amount of chicken little syndrome that goes on here on the boards. OH NO SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING THAT SOMEONE COULD TAKE BADLY TOMORROW WILL BE DRAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Just saying. I find it hilarious.

Cybit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #253 on: 11 Feb 2011, 15:42 »

I get an interesting "Roseanne and Dan Conner" vibe from these two.  It works because even though they both will sacrifice each other's feelings for a clever retort, they both know  it's what they do, and so they're able to read around it. 
Oh my, you realize there are a lot of people on this board who have NO IDEA what you're talking about?

(Hint for you young'ns: that lady who got nailed with the log in the Snickers Super Bowl commercial is Roseanne.)

You know, I'm not that old, but my god, reading that just makes me feel ancient.

Yeah, the pop culture references are an amazing way to feel way older then you actually are. >_< 

Doctor Online

• Emoticontraindication
  • Dat Triforce
« Reply #254 on: 11 Feb 2011, 15:43 »

I still to this day will drop what I'm doing to watch Roseanne re-runs. I LOVE that show, I relate some of my childhood to it considering I grew up watching it, along with Married With Children. I'm with TheEvilDog on this, it makes me feel old.

I may only be 22 but it kills me at times seeing younger people spouting off about old music, saying "so and so is trying to copy *insert new actor(ress)/singer/band*." it's a  :psyduck: moment for me.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #255 on: 11 Feb 2011, 16:46 »

For strips of Febuary 07-11, 2011...

1. Less than three strips, and I already like Padma.  Though I confess I also cannot hear/read her name without thinking of Star Wars... :roll:

2. It should be "interesting" to see when Faye and Renee meet.  Either they will also fight, or be really good friends, or make out with each other with Angus watching in horrified fascination.

3. Definitely looking forward for seeing more of The Secret Bakery and her crew, means Jeph's hard work on those backgrounds will see more use.  Here is to hoping we see a tSB version of Hannelore, after all :wink: .

4. And a minor groaner for all the chem nerds...

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #256 on: 11 Feb 2011, 18:39 »

There are actually people who don't know who the Connors are!? Ugh, I loved Roseanne when I was a kid. I still like watching re-runs of it from time to time. Dan Connor kind of reminds me of my own dad. I feel old now. I'm 23, I soooo shouldn't feel old. And I agree with the original comment about the Roseanne and Dan vibe. But I like that  :-)

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #257 on: 11 Feb 2011, 18:48 »

I may only be 22 but it kills me at times seeing younger people spouting off about old music, saying "so and so is trying to copy *insert new actor(ress)/singer/band*." it's a  :psyduck: moment for me.

Or better yet when people think a re-make of an old-school song is actually the original. When Limp Bizkit remade "Behind Blue Eyes" back when I was in high school... or maybe I was still in middle school, who knows, almost no one I knew realized it was actually by The Who. Of course, the song that sadly made Limp Bizkit famous was also a cover of an older song ("Faith" by George Michael) and I don't think anyone knew that.  Those were always huge  :psyduck: moments for me. The most recent  :psyduck: moment for me has to be Lady Gaga's new over-hyped song "Born this Way." It sounds like a carbon copy of "Express Yourself" by Madonna. How many teenagers who totally love Gaga are going to know that. Not many, cause, as old as it makes me feel, the little 14 year old's who are listening to it thinking "Oh my  God, sooooo creative and original" weren't even born yet when that song was released.

Everything I've just said is absolutely irrelevant to the comic, but you know, music gets me riled up.  :laugh:

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #258 on: 11 Feb 2011, 20:00 »

What a nice end to a shitty (for me) week.   No epic cliffhanger or anything.

Internet is going to be iffy for me for quite awhile.  Health problems mean less online time and more VIGOROUS TESTING by the Doctors.     That means grabbing Net on the go as I turned off the cable-internet at home effective Monday.

I can leave the story off here if I have to and not worry about WHAT HAPPENS NEXT OMG.

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #259 on: 11 Feb 2011, 21:00 »

Well, best wishes and good health to you MD_BS.

And while I would like to add my "d'aww" I think that the rest of the forum has done more than enough d'aww-ing for all of us!  :-D
I'm glad that for once a little thing hasn't blown up into a huge argument. Jeph said it best in the QC book: "Questionable Content: Mountains out of Molehills, Five Days a Week."

And as mentioned in the early days of the relationship ("I will let you touch my boobs if you shut up!") My song when thinking of Angus and Faye, Mr. North and Ms. South, is Yankee Bayonet.

"Oh I'll be your 'Yankee Bayonet.' Hurr Hurr Hurr."
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #260 on: 11 Feb 2011, 22:15 »

Or better yet when people think a re-make of an old-school song is actually the original. When Limp Bizkit remade "Behind Blue Eyes" back when I was in high school... or maybe I was still in middle school, who knows, almost no one I knew realized it was actually by The Who. Of course, the song that sadly made Limp Bizkit famous was also a cover of an older song ("Faith" by George Michael) and I don't think anyone knew that.  Those were always huge  :psyduck: moments for me. The most recent  :psyduck: moment for me has to be Lady Gaga's new over-hyped song "Born this Way." It sounds like a carbon copy of "Express Yourself" by Madonna. How many teenagers who totally love Gaga are going to know that. Not many, cause, as old as it makes me feel, the little 14 year old's who are listening to it thinking "Oh my  God, sooooo creative and original" weren't even born yet when that song was released.

Everything I've just said is absolutely irrelevant to the comic, but you know, music gets me riled up.  :laugh:

What? Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?

I'm a bit older, so my version of this was that in junior high, I thought Van Halen wrote that "new" song "Oh, Pretty Woman."  Roy who?
Maybe this belongs below the line under Confessions.  :psyduck:

Oh, and I liked Madonna then and I like Gaga now.  I think she's the new Madonna. I'm probably wrong. and yes, I'm straight. My wife wasn't so sure until our 3rd or 4th date.  did I mention I like show tunes? (Maybe this belongs under confessions too?)  and definitely waaay off topic.  But, then, if a WCDT can't drift off-topic late on a Friday night, when can it?

What a nice end to a shitty (for me) week.   No epic cliffhanger or anything.

Internet is going to be iffy for me for quite awhile.  Health problems mean less online time and more VIGOROUS TESTING by the Doctors.     That means grabbing Net on the go as I turned off the cable-internet at home effective Monday.

I can leave the story off here if I have to and not worry about WHAT HAPPENS NEXT OMG.

I Hope everything turns out OK for you. Health problems suck ass.
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #261 on: 11 Feb 2011, 22:58 »

Chem jokes, eh?...

What do you do with a chemist when he dies?

You Barium!

I heard it for the first time the other day and I thought it was funny please don't throw things at me.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #262 on: 11 Feb 2011, 23:33 »

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

*throws things*
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #263 on: 11 Feb 2011, 23:36 »

Puns, Eh?

Guy walks into a tailor shop in ancient Greece with some torn togas.

The tailor says "Euripides?"

The guy says "Yeah.  Eumenides?"

The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #264 on: 11 Feb 2011, 23:37 »

Chem jokes, eh?...

I heard it for the first time the other day and I thought it was funny please don't throw things at me.

No we won't throw things at you. A class of water and some sodium will do just fine. Yes, I know that it is not a good idea to handle pieces of sodium with bare hands.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

chrisa1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #265 on: 12 Feb 2011, 01:29 »

All the insightful relationship chatter aside - I think Jeph got the pissed-off Faye profile just right in the last frame of 1859.

Yay artwork! (Or is this not the right forum, I can't keep track anymore).

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #266 on: 12 Feb 2011, 02:27 »

how about an easy going chemistry question?

name the following molecule

PhD    PhD
         \    /
         C - C
        /      \
       C        C
        \      /
         C - C

first correct answer wins an internet.
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

disaacs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #267 on: 12 Feb 2011, 04:44 »

how about an easy going chemistry question?

name the following molecule

PhD    PhD
         \    /
         C - C
        /      \
       C        C
        \      /
         C - C

first correct answer wins an internet.

Orthodox

But don't give me an internet. I had help.

I tried to post the answer with a spoiler tag, but it wouldn't let me. Why not?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #268 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:38 »

I think the spoiler tag is assuming a white background, and gives white text.  Since thet's the default text color...

Try the size, post tiny (1 or 2 pt) for spoilers, then if a person wants to read it they have to quote it. 

...and yes, I'm straight. My wife wasn't so sure until our 3rd or 4th date.  did I mention I like show tunes? (Maybe this belongs under confessions too?) 

See?  (BTW horsefish, you're not alone...)

For those of you feeling old, I was watching Roseanne while raising my own kids.  My wife and I like to think there was a great deal of good parenting advice in that show.  And we won't even start with the music redo's that I've had to live through.  I'm constantly  pointing them out to my girls. 

And Akima, thanks for the flashback - although this is the version I grew up with, I'll now never be able to avoid thinking of it whenever her name's brought up! 

Gotta love those old lip-synch "live" appearances.  I'm pretty sure the guitar isn't even plugged in...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #269 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:53 »

so, did angus select that sweater because it matched his couch, or did he buy the couch because it matched his sweater?

and does he have a pair of pants for the full camouflage effect?

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #270 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:43 »

I know it's probably for his job, but I personally can't stand the way Angus dresses. It makes him look like such a square.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #271 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:43 »

The one thing about Angus' attire that irritates me a little is the way his shirt sticks out under that piece of knitwear. Tuck it into your pants, please! My Mom would have none of that.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #272 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:47 »

I was expecting Faye and Angus to start singing "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" for a bit there.
I've had this song in mind since Angus' ex came up.

...you couldn't find the original?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #273 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:57 »

Moment of the Week Time:

"Coffee tastes so much better when it's made by a beautiful woman."    - 1 (1.8%)
But doesn't that FREAK YOU OUT?    - 12 (21.1%)
He was trying to flirt with you. (Well he wasn't very good at it!)    - 10 (17.5%)
Padma vs. Faye!    - 2 (3.5%)
Muay Thai vs. Punch-fu (Savannah-style)    - 2 (3.5%)
Would you PLEASE stop SPARRING in the middle of the STREET    - 5 (8.8%)
Ed Bronchovsky's in Greenfield    - 0 (0%)
The big oven explosion of '98.    - 1 (1.8%)
Glass eye and the twitch    - 0 (0%)
We miss you... everyone but Renee    - 0 (0%)
Gee, that romantic arc sounds awfully familiar.    - 0 (0%)
She even LOOKS like you, Faye...    - 0 (0%)
So I have a type!    - 0 (0%)
She's even CRANKY like Renee!    - 1 (1.8%)
It's not the only reason I like you.    - 0 (0%)
Hidden core of pure, molten bitchnium    - 4 (7%)
MY eventual goal is to be an evil millionaire...    - 0 (0%)
I am your type, after all.    - 19 (33.3%) <===== RUNAWAY WINNER

Total Voters: 57
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #274 on: 12 Feb 2011, 10:20 »

I was expecting Faye and Angus to start singing "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" for a bit there.
I've had this song in mind since Angus' ex came up.

Case in point - she's too young to know there was  an original:grin:

Seeing these are weird - I never knew what any of these performers actually looked like when I was a kid. 
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2011, 10:27 by Carl-E »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #275 on: 12 Feb 2011, 10:52 »

Well, yeah - unless they went on TV on either Sullivan or some other variety show (Sullivan was already over and done by the time I was old enough to remember), you never saw them unless you happened to go to a concert.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #276 on: 12 Feb 2011, 19:13 »

I probably could have done, but Vonda Shepard is awesome. Her musical interludes, and of course Lucy Liu as Ling Woo :-D, were the only reasons I watched Ally McBeal. As for The Left Banke... Carl is quite correct, I didn't know they existed, but I can't imagine anything much less rive gauche that that squeaky-clean, squeaky-voiced lead singer.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #277 on: 12 Feb 2011, 19:27 »

But Akima, you can't even see his eyebrows his hair's so long!!!!!

And the Guitar player's hair is DOWN TO HIS COLLAR!!!!!!

They're not following the standards and fashions of when I was in my twenties, you know, 1938!*

I bet they smoke the reefer!

Filthy commie hippies!

*I was actually born in 1975. I was acting like I was much older than I actually am.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #278 on: 12 Feb 2011, 23:31 »

You guys are both too funny...

...and so was that group.  They were American, but obviously trying hard to emulate the Beatles' "mop top" look. 

And failing, miserably!

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #279 on: 13 Feb 2011, 20:53 »

Should I have put in bold that I'm Colombian? That I am a cultural and ethnic minority where I live, more so because the vast majority of Hispanics in the US are Mexican, which is very much culturally different from my own heritage? Should I have added that my first language was Spanish and I didn't learn English until I was six years old? Should I add that I do not feel any particular connection to the American culture I am surrounded with and identify first and foremost with my Colombian heritage? Should I add that my ex is now my ex at least in part because she could not reconcile the good Indian girl with the good American girl struggle? Or do you want to stay on your soap box and feeling high and mighty over...what?

"Nobody can understand without living it first?" So clearly the entire topic of a parent's suicide cannot be done unless your parent suicides, and it cannot be done well enough for it to be a case study in properly done drama in a web comic. Clearly, the additional pigment in my skin makes me utterly unable to comprehend what a guy with an epicanthic eyefold experiences and what girls with bindis feel and TELL ME THEY FEEL. Obviously, what a person says about their experience is utterly unreliable, thereby rendering thousands of years of researching methodology invalid because a person said something and others corroborated it.

I continue to wonder why you're deliberately ignoring the fact that I would like it tastefully done. Get off your soap box already.

Dude, seriously?  It's great that you have apparently unresolved issues with your ex and her identity and now are putting all Desi people under the same umbrella as the ONE particular community you've been exposed to, but why in the world should Jeph be interested in that story?  It doesn't really go with the slant of his comic and, in context of what else has been/has not been covered, would be tying Padma's entire identity to her nationality. She's just be "that Indian chick, with the Indian cultural issues."  This is something not all minorities are fans of.

Meanwhile I know some Indian girls who, yes, struggle with the whole FOB/good Indian girl thing. And I know some Indian girls who have always lived in diverse environments or had Americanized parents or just due to their own personality, have never thought much about it--or had thought about it when they were much younger, but currently are at peace with themselves and are happily American (but of Indian descent,) or Indian (living in America), or something in the middle, or something else entirely.  (I even know recent immigrant Indian girls who are not at all bothered about being "good Indian girls.") Padma seems to be quite old enough that even if she went though that sort of identity crisis, it probably happened quite a bit earlier.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #280 on: 13 Feb 2011, 21:52 »

The comic has had plenty of opportunities to explore how characters handled being in a place where everyone looked different from them or had different values.

Jeph has seldom explored that line of storytelling. There were a few references to Faye's culture change, for example when she talked about suppressing her accent. But in general characters from all ancestries and cultures muddle through just like everybody else.

This may be because there aren't enough panels in a day to explore minority experiences while still reporting on relationships, sass, AnthroPC hijinks, and keeping all the plates spinning.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up