THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Radiohead Is Go. "King of Limbs" Digital: 2/19/2011, Vinyl in May  (Read 40928 times)

Durin

• Furry furrier

Oh Amnesiac definitely feels like its own album and is distinct from Kid A in a lot of ways. Furthermore, it's still a good album. I just feel like the others are better. Not including Pablo Honey. I never even listened to Pablo Honey.

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Have they ever actually said Amnesiac was "the b-sides of Kid A"?  If they did, I think they're lying or exaggerating.  Either way, Amnesiac is by far my favorite, and after several listens I think King of Limbs is right behind it.  There's just something haunting and great about it that I felt was missing from Hail and Rainbows.

Pablo Honey really does have some good songs on it, there's no reason to completely avoid it.  "Stop Whispering" is as good as the best songs on The Bends, easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECnzN8P6KQ
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

Have they ever actually said Amnesiac was "the b-sides of Kid A"?  If they did, I think they're lying or exaggerating.  Either way, Amnesiac is by far my favorite, and after several listens I think King of Limbs is right behind it.  There's just something haunting and great about it that I felt was missing from Hail and Rainbows.
I don't know if you haven't listened to them enough to appreciate them or whether you've listened to them and have your opinions (which I won't knock even though I disagree :P ) but Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows certainly have their haunting moments; songs like 'Stand up, Sit Down', 'Sail to the Moon', 'Where I End and You Begin', 'Wolf at the Door' from HTTT and 'Reckoner', 'Weird Fishes', 'All I Need' and 'Videotape' from In Rainbows always have a profound effect on me and boast a level of more human emotion that is strangely absent from some parts of Kid A and Amnesiac, however more artistic and experimental they may be (though 'How to Disappear Completely' always gets me).

Amnesiac isn't b sides as such, but I remember reading the songs are leftovers from the Kid A sessions (and damn fine leftovers they are, too), the alternate version of Morning Bell seems to support this.

tricia kidd

I don't know if you haven't listened to them enough to appreciate them

I've been listening to Radiohead since I was 5 or 6, when my father took me to see them open for REM after Pablo Honey had just come out.

Hail and Rainbows have songs that could be described as "haunting", I agree, but not in the way that Amnesiac and King of Limbs are in my opinion.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

nufan

• Curry sauce

Leftovers or B-Sides seem to me to be the wrong words. The band have said that the songs on Amnesiac didn't really fit onto Kid A, which I can completely understand; I can't see any of the songs from Amnesiac working on Kid A, it would just completely break the mood of both albums. I think of Amnesiac as something of an oddity in the Radiohead discography. It contains some of my favourite radiohead songs (Life in a Glass House, Pyramid Song, Packt Like Sardines) and some of my least (Pulk/Pull, the alternate version of Morning Bell), but both have their own mood separate from each other.

Also, the person who said that the songs form Kid A/Amnesiac lack human emotion: I can't think of more emotional songs than Pyramid Song or Motion Picture Soundtrack. They will soundtrack my funeral.

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

Leftovers or B-Sides seem to me to be the wrong words. The band have said that the songs on Amnesiac didn't really fit onto Kid A, which I can completely understand; I can't see any of the songs from Amnesiac working on Kid A, it would just completely break the mood of both albums. I think of Amnesiac as something of an oddity in the Radiohead discography. It contains some of my favourite radiohead songs (Life in a Glass House, Pyramid Song, Packt Like Sardines) and some of my least (Pulk/Pull, the alternate version of Morning Bell), but both have their own mood separate from each other.

Also, the person who said that the songs form Kid A/Amnesiac lack human emotion: I can't think of more emotional songs than Pyramid Song or Motion Picture Soundtrack. They will soundtrack my funeral.
I said some parts :P Believe me, I'm not denying the emotional weight of either Kid A or Amnesiac, but some of the songs are emotionally distanced (by necessity according to Yorke) compared to say In Rainbows which I can more easily relate too. They're just different emotions. This is all subjective anyway, and it's the genius of Radiohead that they can produce such distinct moods with each album, and that we can have this kind of discussion is a testament to that.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

To clarify: Amnesiac isn't exactly B-sides from Kid A. Both albums simply consist of songs that are (mostly) from the same recording sessions. So while Amnesiac was released a year later and has a completely unique tone, it was born at the same time as Kid A.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

If Wikipedia is to be believed, they're different interpretations of the same theme. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesiac The Gnostic theme is really fascinating.

tricia kidd

If Wikipedia is to be believed, they're different interpretations of the same theme. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesiac The Gnostic theme is really fascinating.

I am a Gnostic, so that is interesting, and I had not heard that before.

"Pyramid Song" is also (rather obviously) derived from Egyptian religion, as well.  It's also literally the best song I have ever heard (sorry, "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space").

nufan

• Curry sauce

K so I just wikpediaed Codex and it came up with

A codex (Latin caudex for "trunk of a tree")

:psyduck:

I love this band

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

re: Amnesiac, if you (you meaning you reading this right now) hasn't read John "Mountain Goats Guy" Darnielle's analysis of the album, you should. It's a really inspired take and it's just good criticism.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

tricia kidd

re: Amnesiac, if you (you meaning you reading this right now) hasn't read John "Mountain Goats Guy" Darnielle's analysis of the album, you should. It's a really inspired take and it's just good criticism.

This is seriously the best thing.  It nails all the reasons I think it's their best album better than I ever could.

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

Amnesiac is your favourite radiohead album and you happen to be a Gnostic.  :psyduck:

nufan

• Curry sauce

I was really, really enjoying this. Then this sentence happened:

"the involuntary convulsions of our esophagi arrhythmically retching against the diabetic coma-inducing sweetness"

and I gave up.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

That was when I realised I truly love this man.

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

Well that analysis has revealed Amnesiac as the work of dark and twisted beauty I had never suspected it of being.

kwami42

• Obscure cultural reference
    • last.fm

too good

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Also this album should be listened to with a good pair of headphones. It is definitely not optimized for car speakers.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

Has the guy who wrote any more like that on the other Radiohead albums? Because I would love to read more.

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

Has the guy who wrote that written any more like that on the other Radiohead albums? Because I would love to read more.

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy

I think Tommy's response was supposed to highlight the other work of John Darnielle, which includes the Mountain Goats and that book in the 33⅓ series. No  other musical criticism on Radiohead written by the man was mentioned, so it's safe to assume such writing doesn't exist and and that your question was answered, right?
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 10:05 by JimmyJazz »
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

No need to be rude. If he had more analysis like this, I'm sure I would have heard of it. I think he wrote about Amnesiac largely because he felt it was misunderstood.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

tricia kidd

Well that analysis has revealed Amnesiac as the work of dark and twisted beauty I had never suspected it of being.

You... didn't suspect there was anything dark about the album before reading that?

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

Ah sorry guys, I hit quote instead of modify, I was editing a grammar mistake in my post and put my post in the thread a second time, no rudeness intended!  :oops: (this is why forums annoy me, communication without expression and body language is so easily taken the wrong way)

@Tricia; I knew it was dark, I just never rated it as much as the other albums. Is it weird that after reading that stuff, you and whose army? does actually make my gorge rise, me writing and thinking about it is eliciting the same response!  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 15:09 by Ctharlhie94 »

brew

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Ah sorry guys, I hit quote instead of modify, I was editing a grammar mistake in my post and hit put my post in the thread a second time, no rudeness intended!

You think it's bad for you, because I see the "modify" button on above everyone's posts once or twice I've gone to quote someone and accidentally ended up butchering their post instead!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

No good making excuses - it's just the irresistible allure of exercising that raw power...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

PintsizesBloodyCock

• Plantmonster
  • Useful Idiot

God-DAMN this album is brilliant in places. Lotus Flower has fucking swagger, plus a vocal melody on par with Nude. Separator is just plain amazing. Give up the Ghost is chillingly beautiful, but feels a bit unfinished. Little By Little fucking swaggers, too. There's an air of confidence all over the album, even when it feels like it's coming apart.

Honestly, though, I would have loved to have seen Skirting on the Surface on there, along with The Amazing Sounds of Orgy (in a different arrangement, something closer to Little by Little).
Repulsed, yet strangely aroused. Kind of like Frank Fitts in the middle of The Castro.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Amazing Sounds of Orgy is on the Amnesiac B-sides comp.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

I was listening to this while riding my bike home tonight and turned off the main road into the darker, quieter seats, and could see the mountains rising up before me and the stars reigning over them, and right at that moment the opening chords of "Give Up the Ghost" kicked in. It was such a beautifully surreal experience I almost cried (but that may have had something to do with the chill wind in my face making my eyes water).
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

tricia kidd

Amnesiac is your favourite radiohead album and you happen to be a Gnostic.  :psyduck:

Not really that big of a coincidence, Gnosticism has been getting a lot more popular in the last decade or so, and to a lesser extent even before that.  I was raised on Philip K. Dick (who converted to Gnosticism awhile before he died) and Robert Anton Wilson and analyses of early Christian mysticism (Holy Blood, Holy Grail - stuff like that).

The band name A Place To Bury Strangers is a Gnostic reference, for example.  There are major Gnostic churches (and "churches" because Gnosticism is a pretty big tent and not everyone involved with it is "religious" so much as they are "philosophical").  Religious colleges have been offering legitimate Reverend/Preacher status for Gnostics.

Not to mention reading the Nag Hammadi texts was pretty much a staple for metaphysical hippie types like my dad back in the 60s/70s.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

I confess I go back and forth on [The Mountain Goats].

what you say!!!!!!!!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat

wait wait wait WHAT

Johnny C

• Mentat

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!

Little By Little fucking swaggers, too.

This.

That bassline is dirty but OH SO GOOD.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

Some twitter/tumblr pictures will give unique one time only urls to prevent unauthorised reposting.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Noooooooo
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

If you bought the album before Saturday, the RSD single is available for free download on the KoL website.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up