THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Radiohead Is Go. "King of Limbs" Digital: 2/19/2011, Vinyl in May  (Read 40939 times)

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Radiohead is following the Pearl Jam trajectory.

First album: Serviceable but nothing to write home about aside from a few tracks ("Jeremy", "Alive"/"Stop Whispering", "Anyone Can Play Guitar")

Second album: Major improvement, still a few problems, but good stuff.

Third album: Utter masterpiece.

Fourth album: Very good, retreat from the spotlight (I'm counting Kid A and Amnesiac as one album because they essentially are)

Everything else: Increasingly mediocre.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Wow, everything about that post is fucked
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

tricia kidd

The first rule of Radiohead is you do not talk about Radiohead because inevitably a million people will jump your ass and insist that Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows are brilliant and YOU JUST DON'T GET IT MAN.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

kwami42

• Obscure cultural reference
    • last.fm

The first rule of Radiohead is you do not talk about Radiohead because inevitably a million people will jump your ass and insist that Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows are brilliant and YOU JUST DON'T GET IT MAN.

:psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Yeah that's totally what I said. I haven't even heard HTTT, I quite like IR, and you're reaching like crazy. Vitalogy was Pearl Jam's masterpiece, now? Bitch please.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

You've spent too much time on /mu/
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

tricia kidd

Yeah that's totally what I said. I haven't even heard HTTT, I quite like IR, and you're reaching like crazy. Vitalogy was Pearl Jam's masterpiece, now? Bitch please.

You said "everything" about the post was "fucked".  Try not to be hyperbolic if you don't want a hyperbolic response, maybe?

And yes, Vitalogy is the best thing Pearl Jam has ever done, possibly the only thing they've done worth bothering with at all.  Sorry I have an opinion?

tricia kidd

The only reason I even know what /mu/ is is because I saw some article about Andrew W.K. doing a live chat there.  I can't imagine a worse fate than discussing music with 4chan people.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

You said "everything" about the post was "fucked".  Try not to be hyperbolic if you don't want a hyperbolic response, maybe?

I wasn't being hyperbolic. I honestly think that every single part of that post was wrong and poorly-reasoned.

tricia kidd

I wasn't being hyperbolic. I honestly think that every single part of that post was wrong and poorly-reasoned.

You don't think The Bends was an improvement over Pablo Honey?

I should probably have actually listened to King of Limbs before I posted anyway, because surprisingly I really like it.  Like, a lot.  Best thing they've done since Amnesiac.

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I am a fan of King of Limbs for the same reason my favorite Radiohead album before this was Hail to the Theif, because these are the only 2 albums Radiohead has ever recorded that were JUST ALBUMS OF MUSIC.

Everything else has had too much baggage--with the exception of The Bends.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2011, 15:05 by Kyros »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

The only reason I even know what /mu/ is is because I saw some article about Andrew W.K. doing a live chat there.  I can't imagine a worse fate than discussing music with 4chan people.

Well you seem to be as aggressive with your opinions as they are.

Mein Tumblr

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!

FUCKING CODEX
it's time to stop posting

squawk

• Scrabble hacker

CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO CLOSE MY BBCODE THIS FUCKING SONG

tricia kidd

Well you seem to be as aggressive with your opinions as they are.

As opposed to everyone else on here?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

well khar is probably the other one who is even more agressive

Mein Tumblr

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Yeah but when I do it it's fucking charming

tricia kidd

I don't ever expect anyone to agree with me.  But I really have had way too many conversations (in Real Life, not on the internet) about Radiohead where people spend half an hour telling me how wrong I am for not caring about HTTT and In Rainbows.  They're not bad but I've literally only ever listened to each of them maybe four times before giving up.

But I really, really love King of Limbs.  Almost as much as that last Xiu Xiu album.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

I have no experience in this either but I've been told that they manage to do quite well reproducing the songs live, and that there's actually less going on than there might seem, certainly enough for five guys to crank out live.

I too am of the opinion that Radiohead should just rock out once or twice per album, it is good when they do that e.g; "Bodysnatchers"

tricia kidd

It's deeply worrying to me that anyone has heard a Pearl Jam record by choice, let alone enough of them to formulate an opinion on the trajectory of their discography.

It's deeply worrying to me that you are deeply worried about what music other people listen to.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Guys how do I know when to be emotionally invested in a song if there's not a guitar there to indicate it

Serious question
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

squawk

• Scrabble hacker

Guys how do I know when to be emotionally invested in a song if there's not a guitar there to indicate it

Serious question

Really cool chord changes.

If those aren't there then I get confused

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I listen to Chopin and I'm like "fuck we need to get Clapton to come and cover this shit"
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Durin

• Furry furrier

I'm just going ahead to call this Kid C. Definitely not a bad thing to be Kid C by any means.

tricia kidd

Thanks for bringing up Pearl Jam in this thread, keep pretending to be your sister.

Thanks for being a total fucking asshole.  I don't even have a sister, just a brother.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

You are your brother, you are not your sister, your sister is your brother.

scarred

• Older than Moses
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

you said my FATHER was my father, but my UNCLE is my father! MY FATHER IS MY UNCLE!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

Mein Tumblr

tricia kidd

My brother is living in San Francisco and recording an album with Anton Newcombe.

Actually I do have three half-sisters, but I tend to forget their existence.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

My brother is living in San Francisco and recording an album with Anton Newcombe.

i deeply need this to be real and true
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

They have two very good guitarists (who I know play lots of other instruments) and a decent rhythm section and I sometimes feel like they are all being underused by Yorke's continuing fascination with electronic based music.

hm! i don't know about this. what i know about the members of radiohead is that they are all interested in making new and interesting sounds come out of stuff. i think the reason they've been a band for so long and made the records they have is that their muses line up a lot when they sit down to make a record, you know?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

tricia kidd

i deeply need this to be real and true

Well last I heard (a week ago) he's waiting on Anton to actually get there, he doesn't live in the US full-time anymore.  Also, quoting from the email, "no surprise anton is a control freak and has decided to re-write 3 of my own songs, in a shocking bit of compromise both versions will be on the record, he is singing almost every song but that is my decision because you know how much my voice sucks, also i met this homeless girl from marin co. who is singing on a few tracks".

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I was listening to this album but then I opened a link to the new Digitalism song and forgot about it, so when it started playing I was just like "what the fuck is this?"

For the rest: I think I'm too tired to pass judgement.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Serious question

Really cool chord changes.

If those aren't there then I get confused
Damnit Anna.

Love.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier

First impressions are very positive. I really like Selway's beats on this one and Give Up the Ghost is absolutely gorgeous. I wish they rocked out more on this one though. Not that Radiohead needs to rock out to be good, I just like the way they do it. I liked In Rainbows but it wouldn't have been nearly as good had they not filled their "balls-out" quota with Bodysnatchers.

SSPKR

• Not quite a lurker

First impressions are very positive. I really like Selway's beats on this one and Give Up the Ghost is absolutely gorgeous. I wish they rocked out more on this one though. Not that Radiohead needs to rock out to be good, I just like the way they do it. I liked In Rainbows but it wouldn't have been nearly as good had they not filled their "balls-out" quota with Bodysnatchers.

I definitely was up for more Bodysnatchers rock, but this album is blowing me away.  I'm absolutely sold.  The rhythm section is outrageous.  The only thing that I can't figure out is what the hell Ed O'Brien is doing on most of these songs.  Doesn't really matter, I guess. 

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

He crushes the brews and cuts the bitches.

Actually he prolly handles effects pedals and smokes a lot of weed.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy

I've only listened to the album twice so far, but I as of now I think it's just ok. Some of the songs are fantastic ("Codex," Seperator") and while others aren't particularly bad, they just don't go anywhere. Like others in the thread have said I enjoy the fact that Radiohead follow their muses and like to try new things, and I'd rather they do that than churn out the same music over and over again to avoid alienating anyone.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2011, 10:56 by JimmyJazz »
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

nufan

• Curry sauce

Guys,

Feral fucking rules.

Thanks, Me

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

I mean they've got good songs, but I missed the phase where there's a certain age bracket that reveres them as gods completely without fault.

I revere them as Gods completely without fault.

EDIT: God you guys, why not just agree to disagree? Everyone has completely different opinions on them and on 'what's the best thing they've done'. Me, I love all of their albums apart from Pablo Honey. I'm also increasingly desperately waiting to hear King of Limbs :/
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2011, 06:30 by Ctharlhie94 »

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android

No one likes Pablo Honey. No one.

Agree with whoever said this was the perfect length for an album - same with the last one, thought it was a good idea to release a second disc with all the of the odds 'n ends rather than clogging up the main album à la HTTT.

It's also the best thing they've done for quite awhile.

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

No one likes Pablo Honey. No one.

Agree with whoever said this was the perfect length for an album - same with the last one, thought it was a good idea to release a second disc with all the of the odds 'n ends rather than clogging up the main album à la HTTT.

It's also the best thing they've done for quite awhile.
Interesting idea that they may release an outtakes album in the same vein as Amnesiac, I'm sure they have enough material for it.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android

I enjoy at least two-thirds of the tracks on HTTT but I can never listen to the whole thing in one go from start to finish for some reason. It just feels poorly put together as a tracklist.

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

I really can't stand 'We Suck Young Blood' on HTTT and that's all really, I skip that track and can listen to it all in one go. I love the dark fairy tale feel to it, almost as if they were trying to put a soundtrack to the stories of the Brother's Grimm, and yet managing to make some kind of political point at the same time.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier

HTTT is probably my least favorite (Pablo Honey doesn't count, that was by some other band), but There There is the best Radiohead song. Fact.

Durin

• Furry furrier

Huh. I always felt Amnesiac was my least favorite Radiohead album with HTTT as my favorite.

Opinions how do they work?

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

I really can't stand 'We Suck Young Blood' on HTTT and that's all really, I skip that track and can listen to it all in one go.

In contrast, I have been known to listen to that song on repeat for an hour straight, with the occasional dose of "Life in a Glasshouse" thrown in.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

The more I listen to this, the more I get the feeling that the first half of the album is just the band carrying out experiments in technique and playing around with production ideas before hunkering down for the second half, the real crux of it all. It's like halfway through "Feral" they just decide "Okay guys, time to get serious now" and then give us what amounts to a pretty damn top-notch EP. The fucking sequence from "Lotus Flower" through "Give Up the Ghost" is just breathtaking, and "Separator" gives us a nice cool-down following all that intensity.

NEW IDEA: use this shit as workout accompaniment
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication

Huh. I always felt Amnesiac was my least favorite Radiohead album with HTTT as my favorite.

Opinions how do they work?
I always see Amnesiac as Kid A's little brother seeing as the songs are kinda outtakes from Kid A. Oddly the songs all sound like they could have been on Kid A and yet have their own character that means Amnesiac works as an album in its own right. I don't really understand why people bash Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows. In Rainbows for me was like, 'oh, that's cool', and then after that it got better every single time I heard it, and it still does.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up