THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 03:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: More than "NOT DORA"  (Read 47828 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: More than "NOT DORA"
« Reply #100 on: 19 Nov 2010, 22:02 »

Steve's relationships don't seem to last very long ...
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #101 on: 20 Nov 2010, 05:47 »

You know what? I think I'm gonna stop speculating, because Jeph is gonna do whatever he wants.

Yeah, I'm sitting here questioning his decision to send Winona Ryder to the funny farm, but he could legitimately write Dora out of the script and keep COD going (One word: Hannelore).

And I have a feeling Marten isn't going to be wanting to date anyone again for a while.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Varian7

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #102 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:12 »

I agree, I don't see Marten dating anyone again for a fairly long time.  He's going to need to let this heal.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #103 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:44 »

Sven is at least 29, probably 30 by now.  Dora identified herself as 28 when Faye called her "Mrs. Robinson", and told Sven that she "doesn't care if he's only a year older than her, it's still creepy" for him to date her friends.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #104 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:07 »

Dora said she was twenty-six. Sven's had a birthday since, because he told Faye he's 28 in the recent conversation about relationships.

EDIT: removed a weird speculation that didn't meet current forum rules.
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2010, 13:41 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #105 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:05 »

He just needs someone who's actually strong, self-assured and outgoing... since this seems to be who he's attracted to, but I don't think has really found in the main cast. Basically Hetero-Tai.
Great googly moogly, no! Anyway, I'm not sure if Hetero-Tai could exist. I think there's something intrinsic about her lesbianism to her.

Okay, that doesn't make sense when I wrote it down, but if you think about it a little while, it may.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Totchos

« Reply #106 on: 03 Dec 2010, 08:29 »

I had the Marten/Marigold thought earlier this week.  Marten using her as a substitute for Faye and Marigold subbing him for Angus, sort of a dual rebound situation.  Then Marten would be free to meet a Smif hottie and Marigold could hook up with her Alliance stalker.  Meanwhile Dora hooks up with Tai's entire dorm.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #107 on: 03 Dec 2010, 09:48 »

Just hold that thought, OK?  You're not the first, and it's been pretty well refudiated.. repuddledated... dicombibulatioed... put down. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #108 on: 03 Dec 2010, 09:59 »

Meanwhile Dora hooks up with Tai's entire dorm.

I don't know whether I'd pay more to have video of that, or to have the !@#%#%^ house to myself for an evening to watch it.

:psyduck:
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Merrick

• Larger than most fish
  • Officially Awesome
« Reply #109 on: 07 Jan 2011, 09:25 »

Dora + EVERYONE:psyduck:
I am in desperate need of a life and common sense.

Quintessentially British.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #110 on: 07 Jan 2011, 09:33 »

Leave it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #111 on: 07 Jan 2011, 11:50 »

Pizza girl.

You mean Penelope?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #112 on: 07 Jan 2011, 12:32 »

But is she the same?  It was never resolved (though of course it was only a joke from the start).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #113 on: 07 Jan 2011, 12:40 »

That was kind of the point.  :mrgreen:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #114 on: 07 Jan 2011, 13:40 »

Leave it.

One down, one to go, another town and one more show?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #115 on: 09 Jan 2011, 10:30 »

Personally, I think that if you really want Marten to see growth, the last thing he should do is date anyone else seriously for at least 500 strips.  Casual hookups would be great though.  Yes, I know they don't jibe well with his character, but it's part of growing as a person.  Although Marten came into the series with a long dry spell, he seems to be a serial monogamist, and he really should be more proactive with dating and more picky - not just fall into a relationship with the first woman who comes his way.  I think the most major realization for his character would be if he discovers that with a bit more of a self-assured attitude, he'd have women throwing themselves at him.  I don't see him turning himself into some David DeAngelo acolyte, but some half-measures in those directions would be a big step up for him. 

I doubt very much Faye would approve of Marten having casual hookups. She strongly dislikes guys who do that, and her experience with Sven reinforces that. The first time she sees a half-naked girl walk out of Marten's room and leave the next morning never to be heard from again, she'll be the one speaking in eldrich tongues. Sure, Marten could disregard her opinion and keep on having hookups, but it would cause a serious strain in their friendship, and possibly end it. Suffice it to say, Faye's not going to like Casual Hookup Marten much at all.

And anyway, I think that's all totally outside Marten's character anyway, he's too much of a Go Along to Get Along kinda guy, and doesn't like casual hookups himself. I doubt he'd be interested in learning how to do them, even if it did ultimately give him more choice in women.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #116 on: 09 Jan 2011, 10:50 »

The nearest Marten is capable of coming to a Scott Pilgrim "Let's have sex, casual sex!"  moment was shown here.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #117 on: 09 Jan 2011, 14:11 »

Yep that's what I was thinking about, I knew there was a comic about it. Casual hookups are just not Marten's style, and most likely never will be.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #118 on: 09 Jan 2011, 16:15 »

Further evidence of that is Marten's reaction when Sven offered to find him a slut.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #119 on: 09 Jan 2011, 16:42 »

Well, all of the evidence really points to Marten choosing to not engage in casual sex.

He's probably quite capable of picking up a girl successfully, it's just he doesn't want the result. And that could change, although it's not likely. Additionally, I think even if he did want casual sex, sleeping with a girl he was introduced to as Sven's 'sloppy seconds' wouldn't be something he'd find acceptable, even if he would have liked the girl had they met under different circumstances.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #120 on: 09 Jan 2011, 20:30 »

Marten seems to have some shyness and foot-in-mouth problems when it comes to the ladies. Consider strips 3-4, or his attempt to pick up Genevieve (though admittedly that one wasn't wholehearted).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
  • Genetically Enginered to RAWK!
« Reply #121 on: 09 Jan 2011, 22:11 »

Marten's just too shy period. For a guy who has a mom in the sex industry, Marten is easily the most inhibited guy ever. He's got to way losen up. When was the last time he's ever goofed off with some guy friends of his? And by guy friends, I mean his only guy friend. I agree with neither Marten or ( as hot as DoraXTai is. sigh) Doar should be dating anyone right now. And hook-ups don't really seem like either of there styles. But some bonding with same-gender friends seems to be in order.
"She's a chick. She's got a sword. She hasn't seen a man in like forever! I fail to see a pro- oh, there you go.."

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #122 on: 09 Jan 2011, 23:20 »

I refrained from posting something earlier, but after reading the new posts since I last looked at this, I'm just gonna ask one thing:

Why can't Marten just stay single for awhile?  Or hell, why can't he just stay single for the rest of the comic?

Ok, that was two things, but the point stands in that why does he have to get back in a relationship with someone so soon, regardless of who it is?  Maybe it would be better if he stayed single.  Think about it:  Of the main cast girls currently in the comic, can you honestly see him hooking up with one of them.  No, ask yourself before you answer. 

-Faye?  She's with Angus, and still has her issues she's working on.
-Dora?  No.  Doesn't need to be explained.
-Marigold?  While single, she's more than likely still burned over Angus rejecting her.  And her and Dale's 'relationship' works as it is.  There's no need for a third wheel.
-Hanners?  She's a sweet girl and has made a huge leap in character development ever since she was introduced (wtb her original hairstyle back pl0x), but if you sit down and think about it, she and Marten would never work out.  I'm sorry, I just can't see them working out.
-Tai?  It'd be more funny than anything, but the chances of it are zero.
-Momo?  She's pretty much set on Sven.  (ok, Pintsize made me put her on the list)
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #123 on: 09 Jan 2011, 23:50 »

Also, people sometimes forget how slowly the comic moves; if it takes Marten a month or so to decide how to proceed (which is quick enough after being dumped, in all honesty), that could be the better part of a year in our time.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #124 on: 10 Jan 2011, 10:21 »

Agreed about Marten staying single. There's only one person who might even be suitable and she may be too speculative to mention, in addition to not being a regular.

Marten hasn't been too successful in going out and finding romantic partners in our observation, and according to the conversations with Steve it's a long-running problem.

Time off from worrying about women might be good for him: a chance to take stock, pause and reflect.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #125 on: 10 Jan 2011, 11:25 »

Opportunity for Moar Deathmøle, perhaps?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #126 on: 10 Jan 2011, 12:38 »

I was just thinking that. Faye needed a creative outlet, likely Marten does too. The discipline of practicing regularly would keep him from falling into a rut.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
  • Genetically Enginered to RAWK!
« Reply #127 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:46 »

I was just thinking that. Faye needed a creative outlet, likely Marten does too. The discipline of practicing regularly would keep him from falling into a rut.

If experince and Jack Black have taught me anything, is that there's no relationship blues that can't be solved by loud, nasty RAWK! :-D

Seriously, though, I'm so for a return of Deathmole!
"She's a chick. She's got a sword. She hasn't seen a man in like forever! I fail to see a pro- oh, there you go.."

Tabfan

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #128 on: 11 Jan 2011, 01:10 »

I agree, I don't see Marten dating anyone again for a fairly long time.  He's going to need to let this heal.

Agreed.  It's going to take him at least a few months of in-comic time(which translates to a good year or two in real time) before he'll be ready for any sort of relationship again.  And I imagine when he does, it will either be with a completely new character, like Cosette was for Steve, or an old familiar face we haven't seen in a while, like the cute blonde who used to work at CoD(before she was tragically devoured by an Allosaurus ;).
"Sham-bam-bamina."  Davis the Gray from Sockbaby

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #129 on: 11 Jan 2011, 10:54 »

Before you react to my thoughts here, AnAverageWriter made some good points on Marten-Marigold in the WCT; I haven't seen attraction between them, and it might work better in Real Life than in QC, but consider:
 Marten using [Marigold] as a substitute for Faye and Marigold subbing him for Angus, sort of a dual rebound situation.  Then Marten would be free to meet a Smif hottie and Marigold could hook up with her Alliance stalker.  
I totally disagree that Mari should hook up with Dale, but hey, Marten is surrounded EVERY DAY with Smif hotties, one already asked him out.  I ask you, How much better of a place to meet dateable women IS there??  
There's gotta be years  worth of awkward meetings, almost-hookups, unresolved sexual tension, just in Marten's everyday job!  (I'm thinking of Arthur Depins' Chasse a l'Homme.)
   [ There's a great pic to insert here, how do i do that? ]
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2011, 11:04 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #130 on: 11 Jan 2011, 13:55 »

When you're in the editor, there's an "Insert Image" button.  You put the website address of your pic between the "immage" tags, like so;

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.whateveryourimageadressis.jpg[/img]
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

La Masquerade

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #131 on: 12 Jan 2011, 19:55 »

Pizza girl.

My thoughts exactly.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #132 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:44 »

Opportunity for Moar Deathmøle, perhaps?

The way the comic is going, if Jeph brought out more Deathmøle time it'd just be to show Marten being kicked out by the other members because they were tired of him moping over Dora dumping him.

Nick and Marla

• Plantmonster
« Reply #133 on: 20 Jan 2011, 05:34 »

On a more stupid note-

Dora: Oh hey where's Marten?

Somebody else who doesn't matter for this: Oh, he and Hannelore are looking for a new coffee shop.

Dora: That gosh-darned tramp!

Everyone else: Hey, Hannelore is teh coolz, don't be hating.

Everyone shuns Dora for being a bitch, she is written out of the story, I'm happy.

....Ok, mayyyybe this won't happen, but damn do I hate Dora.
If I'm being an jerk, I'm Nick.

lizbethas

« Reply #134 on: 20 Jan 2011, 09:37 »

I know we all think Marten isn't the casual sex "type" but why not have a crazy hot vixen come and seduce him. I think it would stir things up. I mean, obviously she would have to be carefully designed so as to not be too much like his mom, cuz he would never go for that, but maybe some kind of suicide girl, sexy librarian type who lusts after the boy?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #135 on: 20 Jan 2011, 10:44 »

I don't think Jeph is into that kind of fanservice in the comic.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #136 on: 21 Jan 2011, 03:33 »

Not to mention it would run completely counter to Marten being the butt of all misfortune in the comic.

htmlcoderexe

« Reply #137 on: 16 Mar 2011, 15:41 »

I just realized. The eldritch speech of Hanners and Dora... it was foreshadowing.

After the breakup, Marten will eventually come to see his true love....
Z̴̞͔̦̲͈ͣ̓ͅA̸̛̼̲̲̙̦ͭ̑̋̀L̶̯͉͒̈ͨ́̚͠G̯̞͊͊̒͝O̶̺̩̹ͧ͗ͥ̍͂̾͞

To be honest, I've been expecting Z̴̞͔̦̲͈ͣ̓ͅA̸̛̼̲̲̙̦ͭ̑̋̀L̶̯͉͒̈ͨ́̚͠G̯̞͊͊̒͝O̶̺̩̹ͧ͗ͥ̍͂̾͞  for some time (I think I even pointed out the similarities in whichever thread that happened in).

He comes!

(I would be highly entertained by Jeph doing a non-canon 'Zalgo' strip. I've always gotten a hoot out of those.)
Oh god, me too. We all know he could really pull it off. ... and really, I'm surprised there aren't more zalgo edits of QC comics anyway. I've found a total of one. Given the major edits are of Garfield and CAD, I'm guessing most people only do zalgo edits of comics they don't like. (I have no opinion of either since I don't read them) No reason for that though, QC is full of comics that would make good Zalgo edits. Including the aforemented eldritch speech one.

Hey, sorry for necroing the thread, but as the one who made the mentioned Z̴͈̻͔͆͒ͥͭͣ̃A̧͈͖̞͈̙͈̫̱̓ͪ̉ͯ̃ͦͩ̀̚L̸͓̙̺̱͛̄͊́͗̇ͬ͘G̡̩͚̗̭̻͉̲ͭ̔͂͐͂̓ͫȮ͎̼̟̲̰̯̇̇́͛̕͝͞ edit, I wanted to say I really like QC! So the rule "you don't like it, you Zalgo it" doesn't always work.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up