THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 12:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 7-11 March 2011 (1876-80)  (Read 77006 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT 7-11 March 2011 (1876-80)
« on: 06 Mar 2011, 14:38 »

Sorry, I'm just not up to doing a poll this week.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCDT 7-11 March 2011 (1876-80)
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2011, 15:00 »

Don't worry, we understand.  I've just been finding out about what's happening in Wisconsin and why, and it's truly appalling that you are (if I read it right) being used as a pawn in this way.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2011, 15:09 »

It would be very difficult for me to express my opinion about the situation in Wisconsin (and other places, here in Ohio they passed an even worse law without so much as a speed bump) without violating the civility expectation, so I'll just say good luck, jwhouk, and don't let the bastards get you down.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Booknerd86

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2011, 15:13 »

Jwhouk, my condolences. My best friend lives in Milwaukee, so I've been hearing a lot about all of this, and I'm sad that you have been affected by it.

Regarding QC, I'm curious to see what this week will bring!

smilcarek

• Not quite a lurker
  • Und Beowulf was braven... Bleah.
« Reply #4 on: 06 Mar 2011, 16:13 »

I get the strange feeling that tomorrow's comic will be important to the plot...

I don't know why.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
"Very deep," said Arthur, "you should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They've got a page for people like you."
--Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 06 Mar 2011, 17:09 »

We've been getting whimsy lately, so it wouldn't be surprising if Jeph switches to drama soon, and a number of dramatic story elements are waiting in the wings.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #6 on: 06 Mar 2011, 17:38 »

If memory serves from the stream on Wednesday, we'll see Steve, Marten, and Cosette walking down the street, and Cosette isn't very happy with Steve.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 06 Mar 2011, 17:47 »

Yeah, I mean what have we seen since November (besides the breakup);
  • Faye and Angus' relationship becoming that much more serious
  • Marigold's unrequited (and unresolved) feelings towards Angus
  • Hanners' feelings about the breaking, and her dislike of the disruption of the status quo
  • Steve's misstep when he flirted with Padma and accidently forgetting about his girlfriend
  • And of course, Marten's discovery of the Secret Bakery and a possible budding friendship with Padma

There is a whole wealth of storylines there, and even more involving Dora, Sven, their relationship together, the therapy Dora obviously needs and her apprehension to actually attend it, and so much more.

Basically, I'm bracing myself for any potential shitstorm.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #8 on: 06 Mar 2011, 19:02 »

Or some drama with a punchline.  That's always nice, too. 

If Steve, Cosette and Marten are involved, I'm sure the bar incident is mentioned.  So Cosette being unhappy's scarcely a surprise...

But beyond that, a shift of focus would be nice! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2011, 19:37 »

Remember we had that hard reverse last time after Faye's VBS. However, that was slightly set up in the background by Jeph with the Gina Riverstone references. I don't know any similar background issues that could prove that hard a turn.

EDIT: Other than the Dora arc we've been expecting, of course.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: 06 Mar 2011, 19:38 »

Don't worry, we understand.  I've just been finding out about what's happening in Wisconsin and why, and it's truly appalling that you are (if I read it right) being used as a pawn in this way.
Not a pawn as much as a political football. And we've just been punted into the stands.
Just another Joe like 46

westrim

« Reply #11 on: 06 Mar 2011, 23:37 »

*Covers ears* Mommy, make the politics stop!

I suspect we will see Dora do something this week, though what that might be I do not know. Probably therapy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #12 on: 07 Mar 2011, 00:51 »

Dora is due for a turn on center stage.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

« Reply #13 on: 07 Mar 2011, 01:22 »

Dude, Marten, way to be supportive in the second panel. Also, did Steve just get dope Gibbs slapped? Also, we really need to know more about this flashbang party thing. Also, I need to stop writing also.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 14:11 by westrim »

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #14 on: 07 Mar 2011, 01:45 »

Hang on a mo, has Marten broken BrOmerta?

I am disappoint.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #15 on: 07 Mar 2011, 01:50 »

Did he tell her the flashbang birthday party story?

If it was anything like the time my birthday party got raided by SWAT, then it's too good a story not to tell people. Flirting or otherwise.

Also way to be a dick Marten. Just because you aren't getting any at the moment doesn't mean you can turn around and throw your bro under the bus. I am dissapoint  :|
I had something witty to put down here but.....

westrim

« Reply #16 on: 07 Mar 2011, 02:00 »

If it was anything like the time my birthday party got raided by SWAT, then it's too good a story not to tell people. Flirting or otherwise.
And yet you aren't telling us ... :-(
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 02:10 by westrim »

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #17 on: 07 Mar 2011, 02:26 »

And yet you aren't telling us ... :-(
Maybe because his GF will get jealous...

Steve hasn't been much of a bro to Marten, so I don't think Marten's actions are unjust.  The whole scene of Marten and Steve at the bar was proof that Steve is more socially detrimental to Marten than he is Brotrimental.

willpell

• Plantmonster
Strip 1876
« Reply #18 on: 07 Mar 2011, 03:30 »

I just wanted to point out how awesome it is that violence by jilted women against jilting men is TOTALLY OKAY.  Our society has been quite clear on that point.  Slap, smack, punch - a philanderer has no right to protection from female assault.  Let us all contemplate this revelation and seek to achieve harmony with the Buddha.
"From the moment I wake, it rains grenades, so I scribble on the page and reality fades."
--Otep, "Serv Asat"

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 07 Mar 2011, 03:49 »

I will not comment on Martens actions being appropriate or inappropriate, though I do think that Cossette is probably acting out of proportion. However I really wanted to mention that Martens 'eep' eyes in the last panel amuse me.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #20 on: 07 Mar 2011, 03:50 »

I guess Cosette is not disappoint.
I'd approve of brutal honesty if it weren't just to get back at Steve here, as I suppose. (I like to see Marten being a "dick" once in a while, though.)

But I also don't really get Cosette's problem. Why's she hurting Steve, isn't making herself unnicer a pretty unwise decision when she fears that he find other girls nicer than her?

westrim

Re: Strip 1876
« Reply #21 on: 07 Mar 2011, 03:56 »

I just wanted to point out how awesome it is that violence by jilted women against jilting men is TOTALLY OKAY.  Our society has been quite clear on that point.  Slap, smack, punch - a philanderer has no right to protection from female assault.  Let us all contemplate this revelation and seek to achieve harmony with the Buddha.
:x Nuh-uh. No. This is not going to become yet another gender wars argument that takes up a page and a half of the COMIC thread. Knock it off. Also, watch this and be awed by the equal opportunity slappage on the most watched show in the world, apparently.

akronnick

« Reply #22 on: 07 Mar 2011, 04:02 »

Do we really have to bring this up every time a female character punches or slaps a male character in QC?

Really?

Can we just agree that hitting people* is wrong and move on?

Do we really need to open up a new front in the battle of the sexes just because Cosette gave Steve a harmless and well deserved dope slap?

Seriously. It's only Monday, and cartoon violence has been a part of QC since the fourth strip. That's not going to change anytime soon.

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Yes, that was a line of 10 psyducks. Do you see what happens? Can you see what this is doing to us?

Unless it's part of a pre-arrange "scene," complete with boundries and safe-words and all that jazz, I don't want the BDSM community to turn on me.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Carl-E

• Awakened
Re: Strip 1876
« Reply #23 on: 07 Mar 2011, 04:29 »

Also, watch this and be awed by the equal opportunity slappage on the most watched show in the world, apparently.

Rank-induced behavioural correction isn't really the same thing as what Cosette's doing. 

On second thought, it's exactly  the same thing...

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #24 on: 07 Mar 2011, 06:54 »

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

So say we all.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #25 on: 07 Mar 2011, 07:02 »

Steve hasn't been much of a bro to Marten, so I don't think Marten's actions are unjust. 

Dude, BrOmerta has been invoked in episode 1862 by speaking the hallowed phrase WE! ARE! BROS! infront of a witness.

BrOmerta has been broken for which Marten must now forever be banished by the label of Not Cool Dude, NOT! COOL!

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #26 on: 07 Mar 2011, 07:45 »

Marten could have thrown his bro under the bus, but hesitated. Rather than go either way, he chose to remove himself from the witness stand by honestly stating he wasn't certain, as his own personal bias made his testimony unreliable. The only reason Stee got a Gibbs slap was because rather than asking for judgment, she asked for confirmation of the facts.

Marten has obeyed the letter of the bro code. Marten remains a bro.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #27 on: 07 Mar 2011, 08:16 »

I'm sorry, but Steve was kinda flirting with Padma. I can't blame him for not being sure what to do when Cosette asked if he was flirting and giving an ambiguous answer. Steve put him in an awkward position at the bar.

And I'm really not sure if a violent shake and half-hearted attempt to console before dropping a tactical TMI on Marten qualifies Steve as a bro.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #28 on: 07 Mar 2011, 08:41 »

We haven't seen Dora since before the time jump, so I'm curious to see how she's holding up.

I notice the bags under Marten's eyes that manifested in strips 1800/1801 still haven't gone away.   :|

No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #29 on: 07 Mar 2011, 08:45 »

Marten has certainly been a bro to Steve, guiding him through many a love-induced alchoholic binge.  

I'm not too sure how much of a bro Steve's been to Marten, though.  Probably helped him through that first breakup (Vickie, was it?) before comic 0001.  Since then, it's been a while since Steve's done anything broworthy.  

Unlike real brothers, being a bro is not automatically reciprocal.  

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 07 Mar 2011, 10:05 »

"If i'm going down, i'm taking you down with me."

DoomMagnet

• Not quite a lurker
  • Done there, been that...Wait...
« Reply #31 on: 07 Mar 2011, 10:20 »

I don't think Cosette and Steve will break up as of yet, but whats her face from before who professed her undying love for the other dude with his eyes closed almost all the time. Steve's ex. So perhaps Steve's luck with relationships is almost on par with Faye's, though she's doing better.
Display the magnets! I draw you to them in a doom like fashion!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 07 Mar 2011, 10:48 »

Revenge is sweet.   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #33 on: 07 Mar 2011, 11:29 »

I don't think Cosette and Steve will break up as of yet, but whats her face from before who professed her undying love for the other dude with his eyes closed almost all the time. Steve's ex. So perhaps Steve's luck with relationships is almost on par with Faye's, though she's doing better.

Her name is Meena. It'd be hilarious if Coss and Steve bumped into Meena and Dave right about now.

DoomMagnet

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #34 on: 07 Mar 2011, 11:49 »

Thanks, I had forgotten her name. The reaction should be priceless.

On a side note, how does the random button work? This is a question I have been meaning to ask. Aside from the obvious it puts up random comic. Is there a list it chooses from or something? I ask because I have been bored and came here and started reading from a random point by clicking random. I hardly ever get a comic above the 1000's and the 1400's are unheard of. Its always the old school when I use it, and I have used it many a time. Is it listed or do I just seem to "love" the old comics.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #35 on: 07 Mar 2011, 12:00 »

The random function calls a perl script at ohnorobot.  The script is clearly a very poor random number generator, and it also only delivers comics that ohnorobot has in its archive (which is missing a fair number of QC).  It seems to me that it would be relatively trivial to do a decent random function in Javascript and drop the call to ohnorobot (having said that, I guess I'm duty bound to do it and ask an admin to implement it...).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DoomMagnet

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #36 on: 07 Mar 2011, 12:30 »

Ah, I see. Thank you for the info.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #37 on: 07 Mar 2011, 13:04 »

Also, we really need to more of this flashbang party thing.
Sorry, friend, that's not how Noodle Incidents work.

Modifier: Oh, and to the people going "OMG VIOLENCE", what Cosette did to Steve is what us kids who came of age in the '90s refer to as a "dummy smack".  I have nothing to add besides that, I just felt like some nostalgia.  Oh, middle school :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 13:08 by Method of Madness »
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #38 on: 07 Mar 2011, 14:04 »

Why, why, why didn't anyone else (including me) think of using psyduck as a user icon??
- Alvin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #39 on: 07 Mar 2011, 14:09 »

Because Marten's expression in my icon pretty much sums up how I feel most of the time.

westrim

« Reply #40 on: 07 Mar 2011, 14:15 »

Also, we really need to know more about this flashbang party thing.
I know. It just frustrates me that a relationship is turning on something we know virtually nothing about.

Why, why, why didn't anyone else (including me) think of using psyduck as a user icon??
Because my name is Westrim, so its icon is built in and usable everywhere.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #41 on: 07 Mar 2011, 14:18 »

Also, we really need to know more about this flashbang party thing.
I know. It just frustrates me that a relationship is turning on something we know virtually nothing about.

Because my name is Westrim, so its icon is built in and usable everywhere.

A relationship is turning?  It's probably a bit early for such talk.  As for Psyduck, I've had it as my avatar for a while, I just don't post much.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #42 on: 07 Mar 2011, 15:40 »

We haven't seen Dora since before the time jump, so I'm curious to see how she's holding up.

Actually, the strip where Hanners dissects the dude trying to hit on her is a post-time-jump Dora.

You get "+10 Good Post" for not linking that to TV Tropes.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 15:43 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #43 on: 07 Mar 2011, 15:50 »

You get "+10 Good Post" for not linking that to TV Tropes.
It was hardly a selfless act.  It's not like it's possible to go there just to get a link, I would've been trapped as well.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

akronnick

« Reply #44 on: 07 Mar 2011, 16:42 »

You build up a resistance after a while.

After you spend about two or three hundred hours there it starts to get repetitive.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #45 on: 07 Mar 2011, 16:56 »

You build up a resistance after a while.

After you spend about two or three hundred hours there it starts to get repetitive.

Yes, but I haven't gone in a while, and I don't wish to relapse.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BobtheDancingFlea

• Not quite a lurker
  • Not a lion.
    • Deviantfart
« Reply #46 on: 07 Mar 2011, 17:12 »

Can I just say something about this whole "flirting" incident in that it...is so not an incident at all. I was so surprised when Padma was like, "flirting with a girlfriend, shame on you!" and now Cosette it in the same boat, I just find it so...over-protective. :/ I mean I say this as someone who's in probably the healthiest, most trusting relationship in the world but...I just find it surprising that BOTH girls found it so scandalous, I guess. You can't help when you hit it off with people, and anyone trying to restrict a relationship is going to make it so much more tempting (I mean relationship in the general sense here, not in the romantic sense).
I dunno that just irked me so much jeez.
Bums.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #47 on: 07 Mar 2011, 17:39 »

It's easier for us to say something like that from an outside perspective; it's easier for us to believe he wasn't flirting because we know he has a girlfriend and has never cheated before (that we've seen, anyway). But the moment Padma realized Steve wasn't gay she recognized what he was doing as flirting. And the fact that Steve was less than enthusiastic about admitting he had a girlfriend kinda points to the conclusion that he wasn't planning to admit that.

Sorry, but in my opinion, no matter how "innocent" it may be, flirting is still romantic and you don't do romantic things with people who aren't  your SO.
- Alvin

westrim

« Reply #48 on: 07 Mar 2011, 17:44 »

Can I just say something about this whole "flirting" incident in that it...is so not an incident at all. I was so surprised when Padma was like, "flirting with a girlfriend, shame on you!" and now Cosette it in the same boat, I just find it so...over-protective. :/ I mean I say this as someone who's in probably the healthiest, most trusting relationship in the world but...I just find it surprising that BOTH girls found it so scandalous, I guess. You can't help when you hit it off with people, and anyone trying to restrict a relationship is going to make it so much more tempting (I mean relationship in the general sense here, not in the romantic sense).
I dunno that just irked me so much jeez.
Your feeling is probably largely because we didn't actually see any of the alleged flirting, just Padme reacting to the tail end of a funny story with no romantic subtext that we could see. But flirting is a pretty loosely defined term anyway, and without knowing more of what the heck happens in that story- or waiting for the next strips- trying to figure out whether what he said was flirting is a fools errand. Marten's reaction could be an indicator, but for all I know he was mostly irked at being *ahem* 'cock blocked', and was just acting that way to get back at Steve for... whatever the heck happened, given that Padmea thought they were gay when she invited Steve over to the table.

Sorry, but in my opinion, no matter how "innocent" it may be, flirting is still romantic and you don't do romantic things with people who aren't  your SO.
Wait, it's still in no way clear that he was doing so. Don't jump from indicators to definite statements like that. And I don't think he was unenthusiastic to admit it; rather, he was sideswiped by the sudden swerve from joviality to relationship talk from Mr. Cockblocked S. Grumpystein.

And hey, TVTropes isn't that bad. Why, I've only got... 296 tabs open.  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 17:52 by westrim »

BobtheDancingFlea

• Not quite a lurker
  • Not a lion.
    • Deviantfart
« Reply #49 on: 07 Mar 2011, 18:12 »

It's easier for us to say something like that from an outside perspective; it's easier for us to believe he wasn't flirting because we know he has a girlfriend and has never cheated before (that we've seen, anyway). But the moment Padma realized Steve wasn't gay she recognized what he was doing as flirting. And the fact that Steve was less than enthusiastic about admitting he had a girlfriend kinda points to the conclusion that he wasn't planning to admit that.

I didn't say he wasn't flirting, though, my whole point is that flirting is not something to get all riled up over. Your last statement makes me realize I must have a MUCH more open view on this sort of thing than most people, haha, although, then again, my boyfriend and I aren't exactly in a..."traditional" relationship I guess, so that could be why I seem to have such different views haha. I just think that whole "you DON'T do romantic things with people who aren't your SO" is the same kind of restrictive view on relationships that only makes the "forbidden" so much more tempting. Just my thoughts on it, don't want to be stepping on any toes here. :1

Westrim also makes a good point in that flirting is a very loosely defined thing...I just think of it as that friendly kind of chat where there is just...OBVIOUS interest going into the conversation but, for people who are involved, they can still engage in that kind of chat as long as they don't progress it any further, because I just don't think you can help what kind of chemistry you have when you chat with someone and how the two of you naturally interact. But, if it's not coming naturally and he's just trying to attract women despite his having a girlfriend, then I guess I can see the issue in that scenario.
Bums.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up