• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moment/Line of the Week?

Cosette's Gibbs Slap
"Man, I still can't believe he's not gay!"
Cosette's misinterpretation of "greater than or equal to", forgetting it also has "or equal to"
"Hola, assbutt"
Dora having a successful first therapy session and not realizing it
"We've, ah, run into each other a couple times."
Hanners's logic win
"Great, my self-loathing is the square root of 2"
Marigold's anti-makeover rant
Obligatory (yet irrelevant) waffles option

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 14 Mar-18 Mar 2011 (1881-1885)  (Read 108010 times)

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
Re: WCDT 14 Mar-18 Mar 2011 (1881-1885)
« Reply #150 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:17 »

We could market it as a feature.
If I had a nickel for every time this phrase was uttered in a Microsoft developer's meeting, I could buy and sell Gates himself.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #151 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:44 »

Wait, wasn't the commissioned thing meant to be the same as v1?

It isn't Fukushima

I have mixed feelings about this. Magnitude 9 quake followed by a tsunami is about the worst imaginable thing our dear planet can throw at a construction,...
Two words: "Pyroclastic flow". (Imagine a tsunami made of 600degC ash travelling at hundreds of miles an hour)

[Also, the fact that (a) the diesel generators failed because they were kept below sea level and so guaranteed to fail in the event of any sort of flood and (b) meltdown has occurred because the portable generators trucked in to replace the flooded ones used the wrong sort of plug... Well, not the best advert for Japan even if it took the quake itself]

Enduar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ale Iacta Est
« Reply #152 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:02 »

Well you see Dust you're not actually seeing that, you're seeing the effects of Marten's becoming disconnected from space-time at a quantum level. Those are all different Martens, from various doomed timelines created by unstable loops. We still haven't seen the Alpha Marten.

Tooooo much Homestuck, there, Doctor.
Listen to my music!
Dead Planet Series

TheEvilDog

« Reply #153 on: 15 Mar 2011, 06:18 »

Anyone else keep hearing the Jurassic Park theme every time the Espressosaurus appear in the comic?

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #154 on: 15 Mar 2011, 07:24 »

No, but I was thinking how she needs to increase the connection strength of the neck attachment (presumably so that it can be stored in a conveniently sized box and then assembled.), at least it came apart at a seam - should make repairs easier.

Faye's got a real dino theme going - is Jeph catering to Mr. Willis' love of Transformers and the Beast Wars storyline?  Or just indulging an older love?

I've definitely been in too long - was wondering if Hanner's helmet is kevlar or steel.  If it's kevlar she should get a cloth cover for it - the kevlar's ballistic protection goes down if it's exposed to UV.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #155 on: 15 Mar 2011, 07:30 »

Things well-adjusted people don't do: refuse to pursue romantic relationships because the person they want to pursue it with might offend their friends.

Fixed this one for you.

Things well-adjusted people do: Dump piles of words on the internet calling people fucked up in the head for not living in abject fear of offending their friends by dating someone their friends don't want them to.

Fixed again, since the post I was responding to was about twice as long as the one you quoted there.

I mean I just wanna make sure I'm clear how this all works now.

Hope that helps.

And I just want to single this bit out and thank IanClark for demonstrating so perfectly why it is so fucked up from my perspective that people are seriously arguing as if there is an "all exes of friends are off limits unless and until the friend is okay with it" law of relationships that should be adhered to.

This is why people constantly ask how their ex is doing, particularly if they're the one who got dumped. In a way, they want them to hurt. As long as they're not complete dicks, they don't want their ex to be miserable, but they do want him or her to have a sore spot in their psyche from the breakup. It seems like a really selfish sentiment but if you examine it it's not. When someone breaks up with you, they're rejecting you, one way or another. When you hear that they're still hurting inside, it means that they really did love you and even though they're rejecting you, they're not doing it out of an unfavourable opinion of you or because they latently hate your guts. It means that you were something so special to them that they haven't been able to rationalize the idea of making their life alright without you. When they start dating someone else, the metaphorical boom is dropped. They've done it. They've come up with a way to be content without you. It's an entirely new experience, because the way our society is built, we're taught to believe that true love is forever, meaning the love you thought you shared wasn't really "true love". I genuinely have no idea if I believe that or not, but there's at least some grain of truth to it. There's a lot of layers to it, most notably the uncertainty that comes from having to believe that you weren't able to tell that your love wasn't real, and wondering if you'll ever know for sure since you just turned out to be so wrong when you were so certain.

Do any of you not see how screwed up a person has to be for this quote to actually apply? That is a pretty abusive attitude to have about the people you date.

This is why I do believe that you should ask permission to date a friend's ex, only if you'd be the first one to date them since your friend. You're not just asking for permission to be with a person, you're asking for permission to be the one to shatter your friend's perception of what the relationship they had was. You're asking permission to be the one to send them into that period of doubt and what's almost the second breakup. It has nothing to do with being possessive over a person, it has everything to do with the consequences of being the one to force your friend to come to terms with something they may not be ready to do yet. Sure they'll have to eventually, but if it was someone else, they could put the face of their anger and dejection on a complete stranger. Instead, they're putting it on a friend.

If this is true of the vast majority of people out there, we are a world of people in desperate need of therapy because this is a really fucked up outlook on life that requires validation from every ex you have to let you know that you're worth loving.

Odin, we're already in an argument in another thread, so I don't want to seem like I'm dogging you personally and deliberately, but I think I can shine some light into this situation.

You've been helping a lot to illustrate my points in the quotes above, yes.

Personally, I'm not offended by the fact that you don't think it's inappropriate behaviour to ask out a friend's ex because clearly, in your social circle, it isn't. Maybe you guys are just less sensitive than the people arguing with you, and that's not a bad thing or a good thing. It all has to do with how much value you place in the concepts of love, friendship, possession, and so on and also in how you deal with a breakup. There's nothing wrong with that. No one gets too deeply involved, no one gets hurt.

Going to stop you there and say that it has nothing to do with "not getting deeply involved", but failing to get over past relationships reveals some severe codependency issues and you have to admit that is a huge red flag for a need to seek therapy. It is a pretty well established point in psychiatric circles that codependency is a huge deal and not normal or healthy, are you and others on here disputing this?

For today's comic, I could see that model of espressosaurus being marketed as a kids toy (anyone remember the Dino-Riders?).
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 07:32 by Odin »

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #156 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:04 »

Codependency... you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #157 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:08 »

Also the Dino-Riders were awesome. Then I tried watching them (on VHS) a few years ago and went "How did I like this??" Of course I also did that with Transformers, He-Man, and Thundercats.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #158 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:10 »

I really hope Jeph surprises me and doesn't do what I think he's going to do. I'd be fairly disgusted if he did.

Uhm...

What do you think he is going to do??? :P

Sorry for the delay in responding, didn't really check in after my post yesterday. What I'm afraid he'll do is that he'll hook up Tai and Dora (nothing wrong with lesbian relationships, so anyone who wanted to try to flame me over that can kiss my other cheek), then have Marten find out and then...no consequences. I'm weary of Saint Marten of Reed, who lacks anger, a backbone, or any ability to selfishly pursue something he wants, to get angry and lash out, to do something. "Oh, if it makes you happy" la di da the rest. If Tai and Dora hook up, I want to see him react instead of just burying it all. Quit his job! Tell them off! Grow a backbone and express displeasure! Something!

Moving away from that, I am loving the espressosaurus. Faye, can I have one, please?

Though now that I think about it....if the reason it's launching the neck and head is because of too much pressure, that means there's a design flaw somewhere. Judging from the comic, it seems there's too much heat and steam built up, and nowhere for it to go but out. I'd guess that if she added vents to give the steam a place to go...

...am I really discussing engineering on a comic forum?

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #159 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:11 »

Codependency... you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I know exactly what it means (it used to be limited to relationships where people refuse to abandon abusive people, but has expanded to also include the abusers), just because the person isn't actively in a relationship at the time they're exhibiting that horrible behavior doesn't mean they magically no longer fall under the definition.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #160 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:12 »

It's obvious that Tai has second thoughts, but what can she do about it?

Well, I can totally imagine her setting up some kind of plan to help Marten get over Dora, so that she can make her moves. And, given her character, that plan would be...
 :-D
Cue Tai throwing single college girls at Marten! Wacky hijinks ensue...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #161 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:17 »

Also the Dino-Riders were awesome. Then I tried watching them (on VHS) a few years ago and went "How did I like this??" Of course I also did that with Transformers, He-Man, and Thundercats.

You should have seen the prospective script for Jurassic Park 4 back when it was circulating the Internet.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #162 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:19 »

I know exactly what it means (it used to be limited to relationships where people refuse to abandon abusive people, but has expanded to also include the abusers), just because the person isn't actively in a relationship at the time they're exhibiting that horrible behavior doesn't mean they magically no longer fall under the definition.
I'm not saying that it only applies to people in a current relationship, but I think you are confusing codependency with grieving. Grief is a very normal emotion and most psychologists/counselors will encourage a person to go through a grieving period. It's certainly not unhealthy.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #163 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:21 »

I'm rather weird, after seeing this I actually kind of heard a narration in my head with the voice of the narrator from Worms

"And then it was that in the war between Coffee of Doom and the Secrety Bakery that Faye unleashed her greatest weapon, filling the Espressauras with the most explosive of coffee mixtures the pushed the button, launching the metallic creatures head for many miles, striking the leader of the secret bakery square between the eyes. The cry then rang up 'We've Won the War!!' "
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #164 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:23 »

I'm not saying that it only applies to people in a current relationship, but I think you are confusing codependency with grieving. Grief is a very normal emotion and most psychologists/counselors will encourage a person to go through a grieving period. It's certainly not unhealthy.

Okay, it is a very unhealthy way to grieve, how about that (the bits about being horribly upset at the notion of someone loving someone else after supposedly loving you seems really terrible)?

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #165 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:31 »

Espressosaurus may have enough history at this point to justify a wiki article, but what category to use? He's not really a robot.

Hmm. Would it make sense to introduce a new category such as "accessories" or "works of art"? The problem with this might be that both of these categories would be rather small. We might want to include items such as "pulsemaster 9000" into "accessories", so may be not. "Works of art" might include the recurring posters and Faye's cookie sculptures... Is there a suitable catch-all label? Something that might be viewed as an extension of the "weapons" category?

Or may be "instruments and appliances" (again leaving it to the native users of the English language to come up with a suitably broad sticker) such as Marten's & Sven's respective Les Pauls, Hanners' drums & gong, Faye's toaster (R.I.P.)...
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #166 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:36 »

INCONCIEVABLE!

DJRubberducky

• Plantmonster
  • The Flash liked me better when I made poopy noises
« Reply #167 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:42 »

Espressosaurus - coffee so good, you'll blow your top!  :laugh:

And since it's a comic strip, I can understand Faye wanting to show rather than tell, but I'm still surprised that the final panel didn't include beatings and "WTF you could have killed somebody!".

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #168 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:47 »

Odin, I think I'm not following you to some extent. I don't know if you're actually jumping around or you're maybe not including all your thoughts right away? You seem to be arguing one thing then changing the stance and I don't know if it's lost in translation or if I just have pregnancy brain.

I agree that Person A should not be horribly upset at Person B loving the person they loved. I agree that Person A should not be horribly upset that the person they loved now loves Person B. I do still feel that tact can go a long way to remedying that though. I don't think I would expect a friend to ask me if I'm over someone, but I would really appreciate it.

I disagree that it is unhealthy to grieve for a month over a relationship that lasted at least 6 months. I do think that it might be unhealthy to grieve for 6 months though.

I agree that the "half the time" rule of thumb isn't valid with long-term relationships or super-short-term relationships; the percentage goes down the longer the relationship is, I think. It can easily take a year to get over a marriage that lasted 10 years, for example, but I think 5 is awfully high.

Other than that, I'm happy with the way my circle of friends works, and you're happy with the way your circle of friends works, and I don't think that makes either of us any more well-adjusted than the other - we've just had different life experiences that have shaped the way we see the world.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #169 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:56 »

Sorry for the delay in responding, didn't really check in after my post yesterday. What I'm afraid he'll do is that he'll hook up Tai and Dora (nothing wrong with lesbian relationships, so anyone who wanted to try to flame me over that can kiss my other cheek), then have Marten find out and then...no consequences. I'm weary of Saint Marten of Reed, who lacks anger, a backbone, or any ability to selfishly pursue something he wants, to get angry and lash out, to do something. "Oh, if it makes you happy" la di da the rest. If Tai and Dora hook up, I want to see him react instead of just burying it all. Quit his job! Tell them off! Grow a backbone and express displeasure! Something!
Ugh, tell me about it. Sometimes i dream about Marten snaping, and becoming the suave motherfucker i know he is inside, throw character development obviously.

Ok i MAY have exaggerated a bit there. But you know, i really do want to see him grow a little backbone!

Moving away from that, I am loving the espressosaurus. Faye, can I have one, please?

Though now that I think about it....if the reason it's launching the neck and head is because of too much pressure, that means there's a design flaw somewhere. Judging from the comic, it seems there's too much heat and steam built up, and nowhere for it to go but out. I'd guess that if she added vents to give the steam a place to go...

Yes you are!
Also, was the head supposed to be the part that de-attaches? if so, it should had a slot so when when you attach it to the body it... ehm, what is the word i'm looking for...like, when you put 2 pieces of lego together they... ARGH, curse my ignorance! But yeah, the preassure is certainly a problem there.

It took four posts for me to spell out something that should be patently obvious to everyone that has ever had any lasting relationships at any point in their life, does that mean I'm terrible at explaining things or that people aren't willing to expend near the critical thinking on this tangent as they are on whether or not Jeph is going to Rule #34 us with Tai and Dora?
Ok this one, and just this one. The thing i want to point out is that not everyone is the same, and in the same way not every relationship is the same. So how to handle a break up should NOT be patently obvious! Every person in this planet handles a break up differently, and so the friends and people around the couple that is breakin up! Some are more affected by it, and if a friend would want to date his or her ex, hewill appreciate that the friend would talk and be clear that there is no bad intentions in doing so. And some others don't care!
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #170 on: 15 Mar 2011, 09:08 »

Ok this one, and just this one. The thing i want to point out is that not everyone is the same, and in the same way not every relationship is the same. So how to handle a break up should NOT be patently obvious! Every person in this planet handles a break up differently, and so the friends and people around the couple that is breakin up! Some are more affected by it, and if a friend would want to date his or her ex, hewill appreciate that the friend would talk and be clear that there is no bad intentions in doing so. And some others don't care!

A big part of where I'm coming from on this one can be found the lengthy OP of a thread on another forum (especially the "you are not a unique snowflake" and Rule #1 portions).

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #171 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:16 »

"Remember, you're unique, just like everyone else".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #172 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:19 »

A meaningless sentiment, if you're honest about it.

CEOIII

« Reply #173 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:22 »

Really not sure that taking relationship advice from a forum called "Something Awful" is a good idea. Just throwing that out there.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #174 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:29 »

Totally unrelated, to this argument at this point, and I'm pretty sure no one even read my last post, but if any one of my friends wanted to date my ex, I'd like them to tell me, not cause I'm not over him. I was over him before we broke up, but so I could warn them about how much of a total creeper he is.

On a comic-related note, I think this Espressosaurous is even cuter than the last one. Even with its missile launching head.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #175 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:32 »

Really not sure that taking relationship advice from a forum called "Something Awful" is a good idea. Just throwing that out there.

In a thread dedicated to getting over failed relationships in the sub-forum they've dedicated to any and all interpersonal drama. Just throwing that out there.

Also, your reasoning there is the kind of reasoning that allows networks like Fox News to get such high ratings.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 10:37 by Odin »

AlternatePosition

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Hanners sock puppet, Now With Cleaning Lazer
« Reply #176 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:05 »

It would be pretty neat if the vent to release the steam came from the mouth, then you would have a smoke breathing coffee pooping dinosaur.
I'm not sexist, because being sexist is wrong
and being wrong is for womyn

tbones

« Reply #177 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:47 »

A big part of where I'm coming from on this one can be found the lengthy OP of a thread on another forum (especially the "you are not a unique snowflake" and Rule #1 portions).
"Remember, you're unique, just like everyone else".

Sigh, yeah sorry i said "not everyone is the same", i should have said that "not everyone is EXACTLY the same". Some people will be sad if they break up for a week, some for a month, some for half a year. I did not say that this is a jennifer aniston movie :psyduck:

But anyway, seems the discussion isn't going anywhere with ya Odin, maybe my viewpoints are wrong, or maybe yours are? I don't know...

It would be pretty neat if the vent to release the steam came from the mouth, then you would have a smoke breathing coffee pooping dinosaur.
That's.... pretty awesome actually.
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #178 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:50 »

Kind of like a percolator, the steam turns darker as the coffee reaches the strength you want it to be.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #179 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:53 »

And why not? There's engineering in the comic.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 13:22 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Napoleon_Blownapart

• Plantmonster
« Reply #180 on: 15 Mar 2011, 12:15 »

I think Tai's unknowingly diving into a world of shit that she won't be able to handle.

I had an ex from a while back who was quite poisonous and treated me like garbage half the time when she wasn't being clingy during the other half. It didn't last long, and a month later I heard she moved on to another guy who wasn't a close friend, but was an associate of mine. My first thought wasn't "How could that bitch do this to me?!", it was "That poor guy doesn't know what he's getting himself into...". They didn't date for long either.

When I saw the Dora/Tai possibilities Jeph was hinting at, I seem to have had a different reaction than a few other people here. The first thing I thought was "Tai's not going to find what she wants in Dora, which is an emotionally stable relationship - and Tai might end up getting herself hurt".

Dora just ruined a perfectly good relationship with a guy she loved because of her emotional issues. She smothered him, treated him with far too little trust, then ran away and stuck her head in the sand after he confronted her about it. She didn't even respect him enough to work on it with him. Dora's behaviour has all the trappings of Histrionic Personality Disorder. It may not be certain, but it does seem likely that she will repeat the same behaviour with Tai or someone else unless she devotes enough time to getting the therapy she needs.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 12:35 by pwhodges »

Blood-Tree

• Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #181 on: 15 Mar 2011, 13:11 »

I find it very difficult to tell whether the espressosaurus is a scale model of an Apatosaurus or a Diplodocus.

Clearly the Diplodocus, with its highly refined palate, would be the initial choice for any coffee-maker, but there's something about the curve of the neck, and the look in its eye, that suggests it would be a superior lover, which naturally leads to the Apatosaurus.

It's just so difficult to know what Jeph is thinking sometimes...
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 13:12 by Blood-Tree »

covale

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #182 on: 15 Mar 2011, 13:21 »

1st post, so... either kill me fast or be gentle, don't half-ass it  :wink:

Re Dora/Tai: I don't get the feeling that Dora would dare get into a new relationship, but I still suspect there will be some drama over Tai flirting with Dora, or from her trying to get approval from Marten to go ahead.

And about the Espressosaurus... This one doesn't seem to be pooping espresso, since the hose attaches at the butt instead of at the feet.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #183 on: 15 Mar 2011, 13:26 »

Welcome!

True, we haven't seen Dora turn on her relationship-seeking radar since the breakup, and she may have a feeling she should prioritize therapy. On the other hand, her emotions may run away with her -- emotions have a way of doing that.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

John_Knee

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #184 on: 15 Mar 2011, 13:32 »

I'd hate to be Odin's friend in real life knowing that if I ever split with my wife, the very next day he'd inform me that he has starting a relationship with her and I can go f*** myself if I have an issue with it and that I should be happy for him....

StevenC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #185 on: 15 Mar 2011, 13:43 »

*facepalm* Odin might not be the easiest person to understand what he means but seriously?
Also, if your wife decides to date someone else one day after you break up with her then something was definitely wrong for quite some time and you should be worried about your friend and not pissed at him.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #186 on: 15 Mar 2011, 13:55 »

You will note that the thread that Odin uses as a source doesn't consider the possibility that a relationship might involve either marriage or children (together or separately).  It is therefore immediately limiting its relevance to a subset of the people with whom he is discussing it here; this could help explain some of the extreme differences in viewpoint - that's before we go into some of the questionable statements there.  The limited viewpoint of that thread is shown for example by the absolute: "sever contact with your ex"; this is not practical in the case of either marriage or children (OK, you can negotiate finance etc through lawyers, but I would not listen to the advice of someone who has no experience of it for a recommendation on that matter).

if your wife decides to date someone else one day after you break up with her

Of course that decision commonly precedes  the breakup of a marriage - as it did in my case (my wife was having an affair, not her first either).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SJCrew

« Reply #187 on: 15 Mar 2011, 14:09 »

I think this whole 'dinosaur espresso' thing is going to eventually lead to Faye quitting CoD, something I'm totally looking forward to for the dire change of scenery QC so desperately needs. We've been in the safe zone with "friends at a coffee shop" for a while, but there's a whole bunch of other cool stuff the QC cast could be doing. I hope Jeph agrees with this sentiment and starts to move a little outside of the box soon.

John_Knee

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #188 on: 15 Mar 2011, 14:37 »

*facepalm* Odin might not be the easiest person to understand what he means but seriously?
Also, if your wife decides to date someone else one day after you break up with her then something was definitely wrong for quite some time and you should be worried about your friend and not pissed at him.

Slightly exaggorated (spelling??) but the principle is the same.... ie, he'd be happy to make a move on an ex the very next day even if you were still upset about the breakup - especially if it was the other person who called the relationship off....

mickcheese

• Plantmonster
« Reply #189 on: 15 Mar 2011, 14:43 »

I think this whole 'dinosaur espresso' thing is going to eventually lead to Faye quitting CoD, something I'm totally looking forward to for the dire change of scenery QC so desperately needs. We've been in the safe zone with "friends at a coffee shop" for a while, but there's a whole bunch of other cool stuff the QC cast could be doing. I hope Jeph agrees with this sentiment and starts to move a little outside of the box soon.
Seconded. I'd like to see her and, to a lesser extent, Penny move on to bigger and better things. I've been itching to see Faye leave CoD since Raven disappeared and Jeph commented about her lack of forward momentum in-comic. How long are Penny and Faye going to keep working the same dead end job? The hiring of Hanners and Cosette seems like the perfect opportunity to see the more tenured employees take off and find better jobs or even real careers.

covale

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #190 on: 15 Mar 2011, 14:47 »

I think this whole 'dinosaur espresso' thing is going to eventually lead to Faye quitting CoD[...]

Faye has stated she's happy with working at CoD exactly because it's safe and comfortable, and that she actually dislikes crafting multiple dinos.

... I still wonder about where the second dino was supposed to pour the coffee from, seeing as the poop-option wasn't available.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 14:49 by covale »

smilcarek

• Not quite a lurker
  • Und Beowulf was braven... Bleah.
« Reply #191 on: 15 Mar 2011, 14:57 »

Actually, at least in my own experience, if you were to start reading from the beginning up till now, it seems like a lot less time stuck at the same thing. It presents a much more cohesive and interesting story than reading day-by-day. I'm not saying that the day-to-day story ISN'T, because it is, it's just that much better if you don't have to stop and wait for tomorrow.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
"Very deep," said Arthur, "you should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They've got a page for people like you."
--Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #192 on: 15 Mar 2011, 15:06 »

I think this whole 'dinosaur espresso' thing is going to eventually lead to Faye quitting CoD[...]
Faye has stated ... that she actually dislikes crafting multiple dinos.

I read that comic as saying she didn't want to make another T. Rexpresso.  I was thrilled to see that she'd channeled her creative forces into fulfilling the contract, but with a different design - she gets to create another espressosaurus original! 

What's next - Tricerotops? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

covale

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #193 on: 15 Mar 2011, 15:20 »

Faye has stated ... that she actually dislikes crafting multiple dinos.
I read that comic as saying she didn't want to make another T. Rexpresso...

That might be a better interpretation of that strip, so I'll just fall back on argument B.   8-)
She still doesn't believe it's something to do seriously, for her it's just a "when I grow up I want to be a ..." kinda thing that she outgrew.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 15:22 by covale »

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #194 on: 15 Mar 2011, 15:22 »

Velocispresso!

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #195 on: 15 Mar 2011, 15:23 »

Love the angle and dynamic body positions in panel 5!  Faye and Dora flinching in the foreground and Hanners' 'eep' face in the distance as the dino head flies by is great.  I can't recall if we've ever seen that much of a close-up on a hand in this strip as appears in panel 3 -- it's cool to see Jeph trying new things artistically.  As to the Espressosaurus itself, I want to say that the espresso would come out its mouth, but if the bottom of its neck holds the grounds . . . I dunno, that doesn't seem like it would work.  Maybe it would come out of the tip of its tail?  Can't fit a cup under its belly really.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #196 on: 15 Mar 2011, 15:25 »

decrease exponentially in quality as it increases in length.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #197 on: 15 Mar 2011, 17:55 »

Looks like a hatch in the top, hinged next to the power switch, is where the coffee makings go. Also looks like it holds together better than the head-neck/spigot attachment point; try a twist-and-lock collar, there, Faye. Also, the head-neck, when independent of the body, looks like something else entirely.
Prediction: Marten, finally deciding to chance a return to CoD, is beaned by flying espressosaurus parts as he walks in the door.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #198 on: 15 Mar 2011, 18:25 »

Bam!  It has most likely been no more than six weeks since 1645, since Dora is checking up on Faye's progress, but not accusing her of being behind schedule.  So I guess the general estimate of a little more than a month since the breakup works.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #199 on: 15 Mar 2011, 18:37 »

Prediction: Marten, finally deciding to chance a return to CoD, is beaned by flying espressosaurus parts as he walks in the door.

Prediction:  Pintsize sabotaged it as a tiny step in his plan for world domination for shits and giggles.
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up