THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 11:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering an email / forum-based PnP game (Supranerds Only Thread)  (Read 14472 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Hey people,

Probably at the end of this semester I'm hoping to maybe get an internet-based pen & paper game going, something more narrative-based than tactics-based. I'd been thinking a lot about World of Darkness (reading up on Vampire the Masquerade lore in an old Bloodlines video game thread on another forum made me nostalgic) and I've recently re-watched both Twin Peaks and Millennium, and I think I would really enjoy moderating a Hunter: The Vigil game oriented toward that sort of vaguely mystical, bloody Se7en type stuff.

I'm not sure how it would work, and I would be starting in a month or two once school becomes less of an issue, but I'm wondering who would be down for semi-regular participation. You would write up a character, with stats and a background and a concept, I would posit a scenario, you declare actions, I roll dice and write up consequences, and so on. Something like this will hopefully result. I will be learning along with everyone else. It seems like a better idea than trying to get local nerds into a regular time (plus it saves the aggravation of having to undergo social discourse with said nerds), and the format is in many ways much better suited to the game.

This is our forum.

At this point I should prolly link y'all to some nWoD books. Here's the basics of what you'll need:
nWoD Core
Code: [Select]
http://www.M/F.com/?kx384bzna91cc70
Hunter Core
http://www.M/F.com/?joul3tb2o7y03so
Hunter C-Sheet PDF
http://www.M/F.com/?eqeoxm3umsqm74u
Download the character sheet (editable pdf, pretty cool!) and use Chapter 2 of the Hunter Core to make the character you want, cross-referencing the nWoD core where needed. Then you post it to the forum and write up your character concept! (Alternatively, you can write your concept before character creation)
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2011, 16:55 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame

I'm down.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Yeah I'm 100% in for this, even getting the Hunter books right now.
Just as an FYI, most of my roleplaying background is with White Wolf, and I've played a werewolf, mage, and demon hunter (of kindred of the east) before. Of course this was all oWoD but it is still similar.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Hunter is literally the only core book I don't have in the WoD series, and I've been wanting to try this for a very, very long time. Are you completely set on Hunter as your choice to run?
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Well, it's what's speaking to me personally, and the fact that (aside from a few supernatural talents) the PCs are essentially normal humans is pretty attractive from a GM standpoint. It's got even more of that "oh shit we're going to die" low-level-D&D charm than Vampire does. I can send you the .pdf rulebook if you like.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

I'd really like to get into these kind of games, but I don't want to end up gumming up your game.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

You'd be gumming it up considerably less than I will.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

Eh, I'll give it a shot. I just downloaded the core book.

EDIT: I now have the nWoD core book as well.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2011, 02:00 by Tom »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

It should be said that a lot of things won't be exactly clear unless you get the new World of Darkness (nWoD) core book. There's stuff referenced in Hunter that's not explained.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Well I have all of the hunter books plus some character sheet pdfs but I didn't snag the core book.

Boro_Bandito

If I had the rulebook I'd be more than happy to play, and to be honest I've always just wanted to do a mortal campaign, just sorta skipped over Hunter because, well I'm not really sure actually.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

ackblom12

I'm definitely down.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

I'd be interested. I'm not familiar with the Hunter system but I've tried out a lot of dice systems so should come easily once I can lay my hands on the rules. Dark, bloody and Se7enish is pretty typical of the sort of thing I've played in the past.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

I've never played any of these sorts of games. I've always wanted to but I don't know enough hardcore nerds. I'd like to play but honestly I don't have the time to actually read the rulebooks and shit and still get my uni work done. Also I have like, half a day off a week so yeah. Not much time.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Boro_Bandito

I don't think John was planning on running this for a couple months anyway, so I think you'd have some time to learn here. The nWoD system is a pretty easy one, which in the long run focuses more on the story and the characters than it does on the rules and combat systems so even if you just learned the basics and played along I bet it would still be just fine, man.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Yeah I've been playing white wolf games for like 4-5 years and never learned all the rules.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Well it's certainly nice to get so much interest, but I'm not sure how many players I can handle, crash-coursing this as I am. I could maybe have someone (or someones) play the antagonist (basically work with that player to set up the scenario and work in-game with them much less frequently than the protagonist characters) but I may have to be reduced to auditions leading up to a tiered system (we'll say 5 characters in game at any one time, if any of the initial 5 die / are possessed / are taken out of the game for some reason, next person steps up and fills the void).
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

BTW would anyone know of a service that allows for creating a message board with a handful of threads, that can require approved registration to post? We can probably get this ball rolling soon, even if we won't actually be playing for a bit.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

So, bros, we have two options. I have conferred with the internet Elder Things and they have told me that a PbP (play by post) game is quite difficult to run, being that it's sort of like a narrative webcomic updated semi-regularly, or The Wire - While burning through it when it's done is certainly pleasurable, sticking with it on the day-to-day basis is much trickier. To that end, IRC or Skype were presented as superior alternatives. On the one hand, they are real-time and thus can give much more instant gratification for players. On the other hand, we'll have to stick to a time that works for everyone, just like a real PnP game, and that will likely be tricky with time zones being as they are. It'll also be more stressful for me as a GM, and you'll all feel more self-conscious roleplaying outside of text. PbP gaming is low-hassle and can pay off over time, but it still requires commitment (most of it from me, which I'm fine with) and can be slow-paced.

What does everyone think?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

I won't deny that text is a much better option for myself for the exact reason you mentioned. Talky role-playing makes me incredibly nervous and stammery, but I can do it if need be. Though I may end up telling you what I say rather than saying it at times.

Basically what I'm saying is the GM's mental health is secondary to my own selfish needs.

Boro_Bandito

I used to be in the really nerdy high school crowd that would set up these PbP fora that had a general idea for a plot and a system of character creation, but no hard rules or set narrative that everyone had to adhere to, essentially two people would decide "Hey, let's roleplay together for a bit" almost like an online version of playing house. The quality of writing in these was, less than subpar for the most part, and it always tapered off after a few months and we'd have to make another site and another setting and start it over again.

I think this problem was caused mostly by the fact that there just wasn't any agreed time for being on and things could go slowly, plus the lack of a rule system beyond "don't be a dick and play God," that I think would be solved pretty easily by just having a schedule and of course using the actual White Wolf rules n' shit. If we want I suppose we could just do it in a chatroom format on like meebo or something (I don't have IRC) for a more real time experience, and you could just copy/paste the results to a forum page or something.

I would even be fine with doing a real time Skype, like I get self-conscious as hell but I can suck it up if needs be.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Nah I think White Wolf games and the style of play they demand lend themselves to maximum awkwardness. Like Steve says, you're not supposed to be putting distance between yourself and your character, you're supposed to be acting, which is a hard thing to pull off largely because it's so goddamn ridiculous. It's much, much easier to do that via text. It's like a collaborative novel.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

Count me in. I have ALL the New World of Darkness books in PDF form from a rulebook binge I had a few months ago. I haven't done anything but skim-read except for the new Vampires book. I played Old World of Darkness Vampires for a while years ago but I barely remember anything except the very generalities of the rules. It looks like they've changed a lot of things in the setting anyway.

We could run things as a hybrid of play-by-post on a seperate forum and through chat medium. We could play on the forum until a crucial point (like an important conversation or an action scene) is reached and then PM everyone to set a time and a place. Then we meet up in IRC or a meebo room or something, enact that scene, post the logs on the forum. This would mean that rather having to set a regular time we could adapt things to the situation. Better to delay things a day or so and have everyone there than hold it every day at a certain time bang on the dot and be missing two people.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

That's... a pretty brilliant idea. Consider yourself recruited!
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated

Also if this works we gotta run some Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green games.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I would definitely play, if you're GMing.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated

I've never been Keeper before, but there's loads of really good pre-made CoC scenarios and campaigns we can cut our teeth on, as long as no one cheats and downloads the books for themselves.

If it goes well I've got a real hankering to try something in some of the more exotic CoC settings I have rules for, like the dark ages and ancient Rome.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

Kahr, that sound utterly fascinating.

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...

I'd be down for that.  I never get to do this sort of thing in real life.
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy

This sounds awesome, I'm in! Watching Blade Runner is the nerdiest activity I can muster in meat life without scaring away my friends
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

With my friends who are into it, that brings the total interested parties up to 9 or 10. I feel like I would probably be reaching my GM limit around 5ish. So we have two options - Keep the surplus people on reserve for the inevitable instances of life / boredom interfering with participation, or split into two groups (this would probably depend on Khar's willingness to GM).

In the meantime, does anybody know of a reliable (and free) forum hosting service? We essentially need two threads, three tops. Once we get one of those, we can get to formulating character concepts and I can help tighten up my story ideas around them.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

You could consider the forum option with interspersed chat based session.

A fair few groups I know operate off phpBB systems that allow for moderated joining. Works well enough.

Also, I'm quite happy to antagonise players if you want to go down that route.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2011, 04:13 by The Seldom Killer »

Boro_Bandito

http://www.phpbb.com/

Its free and customizable, do all sorts of things with, and then literally just create a private meebo room for the live sessions if you're going to be doing all the rolling, and here's a thread on their official forums that's got a couple good auto dice-rollers in it from Mr. Gone's site http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12311

Also for expanded character sheets Mr. Gone's site itself has so many for whatever you need.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I need a place to webhost though :(
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

Either way, if this gets rolling I'd probably say I should be on the reserve list for the time being. Once September rolls around and we're done moving I should be able to commit to it though.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Anybody have a bead on a good FTP / hosting site?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

http://www.invisionfree.com/ sorry that's actually the site that I meant to link, free forum hosting, and you can basically customize it however you want to, not that a forum for this purpose really needs that up and they've got there own forum on it full of like skins n shit made by users so you can mix it up to make the feel more dark and sinister, its what me and my friends used for literally all of our ultra nerdy I'm ashamed to have been a part of "forum RPs". Here's an example of one I made in '08 that never got off the ground because all of my friends were anime nerds who didn't want to use their creativity on something different for once and for eff's sake just ignore that fact that I'm basically the only one who ever posted in it. Anyways the purpose is very similar to what you need.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Okay we need a name for our lil' forum. You have three choices: "Fucking Wolf People", "Sad Place for Nerds", or "Like LARP but worse". It has to be <20 characters

You have 20 minutes to decide.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...

1 vote for Fucking Wolf People
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Two minutes! We have 2 for Fucking Wolf People!
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

works for me. they might censor it or ban it though, careful now.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

In that case, Welcome to Effin Wolf People. Register and whatnot!
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Basic intro post up, working on more specific stuff so you can work on characters and such.

At this point I should prolly link y'all to some nWoD books. Here's the basics of what you'll need:
nWoD Core
http://www.M/F.com/?kx384bzna91cc70
Hunter Core
http://www.M/F.com/?joul3tb2o7y03so
Hunter C-Sheet PDF
http://www.M/F.com/?eqeoxm3umsqm74u
Download the character sheet (editable pdf, pretty cool!) and use Chapter 2 of the Hunter Core to make the character you want, cross-referencing the nWoD core where needed. Then you post it to the forum and write up your character concept! (Alternatively, you can write your concept before character creation)

I'll have an example up when I can.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2011, 19:04 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

Just signed up as Philboro, anything we should know about the upcoming story that we should keep in mind for our characters? (i.e. general idea of setting, characters within certain age ranges, should probably have a fear of clowns, etc)

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I'll bring a full update to the new thing soon enough, but I'm probably going to go - Chicago (or a very rough approximation of said), any age, and preferably touched in some way by ritualized violence (witnessed, escaped, friends or family killed, etc.) But I'm open to anything, long as it's good!
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2011, 20:13 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Oi, who's Amaranthus Jones?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Man, if there was a way to break the DRM on that PDF, we'd be set. As it stands, just print to One Note (if you're on a PC w/ Office), it will open up said program from where you have the option of re-publishing the completed PDF (sans editing capabilities, so make sure you've got all you need on the sheet). More tomorrow!
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

Oi, who's Amaranthus Jones?

Me, sorry for the confusion. Came up with douche-y goth-noir name for shits and giggles.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria

Well, I've never had the chance to get in on good role-playing before, and with all the time I've been spending on /tg/ lately I'm practically dying for an opportunity like this one. However, it seems we have MORE than enough people at the moment. Since I've never played before, I'd be happy to sit back and watch, and maybe lend my intermediate writing skills to some flavor text or an NPC if that's wanted.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Boro_Bandito

That link I posted up there to the character sheet website made by that guy Mr. Gone? He has both editable and printable pdfs for every single supernatural (and non supernatural) splat for WoD, including hunter. He even has variations of 1, 2, 3, and 4 page versions, in addition to what looks like a couple hundred crazy different variations, npc sheets, sheets for specific factions, all sorts of shit.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up