THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 16:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now - the QC "MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK!"

WOULD YOU PLEASE TURN DOWN THE INTROSPECTION I AM TRYING TO GET SOME SLEEP!
- 16 (23.9%)
Found a place over in Amherst
- 0 (0%)
It's all the way over the river!
- 0 (0%)
IT'S 20 MINUTES AWAY.
- 3 (4.5%)
F'ed up sense of scale.
- 3 (4.5%)
Absolutely wonderful sunlight!
- 0 (0%)
You're not a witch or anything?
- 0 (0%)
We have a "No Sorcery" policy
- 3 (4.5%)
Let me show you the kitchen.
- 3 (4.5%)
Sad Hanners!
- 1 (1.5%)
Marten's not coming here, Dora's moving to Amherst, and everything CHANGING...
- 0 (0%)
Sometimes change is for the better.
- 0 (0%)
Colored underwear (she was a mess for WEEKS)
- 3 (4.5%)
Oops, you died again (Dungeon Crawl)
- 0 (0%)
Dale Gendo Glasses!
- 12 (17.9%)
Shut up, Shinji!
- 8 (11.9%)
Cute like a li'l baby - cause tilesets are for BABIES.
- 4 (6%)
Good luck, li'l baby berserker.
- 1 (1.5%)
I think he's flirting with you!
- 7 (10.4%)
I hate him almost as much as I hate Orc wizards!
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 28-32 March 2011 (1891-1895)  (Read 94294 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: WCDT 28-32 March 2011 (1891-1895)
« Reply #100 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:17 »

What, no "Scurvy"?

And I think jwhouk got it the first time - the easy familiarity they all have comes from extreme physical closeness to each other.  The ability to run into each other on the street, or just drop by anannounced - it all goes out the window if you have to get into a car or bus to get over to the other person's place.  Sure, she'll be at CoD every day for work, and probably still run errands and shop in the neighborhood before/after/during work, but then at some point she'll have to pack it in and go home.  No more Hanners popping in for a martini and crashing on the couch, no bumping into Penny at the pizza place late at night, or spotting Steve and Ellen Cosette arguing on a streetcorner in the wee hours as she weaves her way home from an evening of drinking at the horrible revelation.  For people who are neighborhood people, this is a major lifestyle change! 

I've lived in college towns, small cities and major cities with dense local neighborhoods before, and you really do  get used to everything (and everyone) being right there.  All my moves were big pull-up-stakes-and-relocate moves of hundreds of miles, so I've never known the grief of "20 minutes away from your stomping grounds", but I know from others that it's real. 

Silly, but real. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #101 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:34 »

I've lived in college towns, small cities and major cities with dense local neighborhoods before, and you really do  get used to everything (and everyone) being right there.  All my moves were big pull-up-stakes-and-relocate moves of hundreds of miles, so I've never known the grief of "20 minutes away from your stomping grounds", but I know from others that it's real. 

Silly, but real. 

I wouldn't say it's silly to form close ties to the people in your neighborhood. That's what small towns (even "big" small towns like NoHo) are supposed to be about - eventually everyone becomes like extended family. Also, Penelope's betraying herself just a little bit by expressing fondness for Dora in not wanting her to movie so "far away." Kind of sweet, really.

I would say this is a sign Jeph's planning to put Dora on a bus, but I really don't see that happening since she owns the friggin shop. I think she's here to stay (watch, tomorrow she won't just get put on a bus, she'll get hit by a bus).
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #102 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:38 »

I think she's here to stay (watch, tomorrow she won't just get put on a bus, she'll get hit by a bus).

But you've just cancelled the bus attack by saying it. But she also can't stay, but she can't go, but she can't stay... Nurr, nurr, nurr <head explodes>

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #103 on: 29 Mar 2011, 08:38 »

There's also the option for her to make new friends whom we also get to see - but Jeph could well decide that's too much dilution of the focus of the comic.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Arrowed

« Reply #104 on: 29 Mar 2011, 08:50 »

The problem with the whole "20 minutes?!?!" thing is ya'll don't understand how incredibly infuriating a drive on Route 9 is. People are either dumb as hell, slow as hell, or both. There's always a traffic jam. And enough people detour to Bay Road that even that gets slow at times. People (non-college people) in Northampton don't go to Amherst regularly, and vice versa - mainly because there's enough in both towns to keep everyone happy in their own town. And anything you can't get in your own town you can get at the malls in Hadley. I could see how they'd be worried that Dora would find more local friends in her new town.

shiroihikari

• Plantmonster
« Reply #105 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:06 »

I talk more when I'm by myself than I ever do when I'm with other people.

It's usually the only way I can finish a sentence.

I feel you on that one.

I talk to myself while I'm browsing at department stores and grocery stores.  I'll pick up something I like and mutter to myself "ooh this is cool." I know it's creepy and weird but I can't stop doing it.  

Regarding the whole "20 minutes OMG" thing, I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma, so I'm used to going AT LEAST 20 minutes to get to anything of interest.  So to me, 20 minutes is no great hardship.  45 minutes is okay but not ideal, an hour if I absolutely have to, but two hours?  That's too fuckin' far.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2011, 09:08 by shiroihikari »

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #106 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:12 »

I live in Rhode Island. I was once asked by a girl from California "Is it true you can drive across the state in less than a day?"
I've never laughed so hard in my entire life.

Xader

• Plantmonster
« Reply #107 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:25 »

I live in Rhode Island. I was once asked by a girl from California "Is it true you can drive across the state in less than a day?"

To those of us in the western half of the US, most New England states seem insanely small. Heck, my county is half again as big as Rhode Island. When it was founded, it was twice the area of all of New England combined.

I live in Oregon. By west coast standards, it's moderate-sized at best. But a cross state trip, by the most expedient route, with no delays and no stops, going 5mph over the entire way, is still over 8 hours.

My wife drives four hours each way every few weeks to her parents' house. We live on the same side of the state.

So yes, we are often surprised by how small many states are.

And on the note of geographical disbelief, I've personally spoken to Easties who are genuinely surprised to find that it's no longer the "wild west". We have indoor plumbing. We don't fight "Injuns".   :roll:
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2011, 09:31 by Xader »

shiroihikari

• Plantmonster
« Reply #108 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:35 »

Yeah, some people out East still think that Oklahomans all drive wagons across the lone prairie and the whole state is covered in teepees.

That's when I say, "No, no-- you're thinking of Kansas."

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #109 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:47 »

Yeah, some people out East still think that Oklahomans all drive wagons across the lone prairie and the whole state is covered in teepees.

That's when I say, "No, no-- you're thinking of Kansas."
I've been through Kansas. Through, not to. Because there is no where to stop in that state.
Seriously though, I drove across the entire country in a mini-van several years ago. It really put just how small New England is into perspective.
On that trip, I was asked where Rhode Island was, and if it was really an island. *sigh* Now I'll have to eat some quahogs and drink coffee milk to cheer myself up.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #110 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:52 »

Well excuuuuuuse me princess. It's not every day I drive three hours to go hang around in Small Town USA. I didn't think that entire stretch would be as backwoods and desolate as Heath. (Actually come to think of it a lot of it looks like 123 through Norton, or 1A around the prison.) Some parts actually are multi-lane, and have steel barrier between the lanes of travel.

Next time I'll remember to check Google Maps first to make sure remote parts of a main road I regularly drive on match the parts I'm familiar with.

...How the frak does an 8.7 mile journey take 20 minutes???

The mostly tiny two lane non-divided state highway probably has a 40 MPH speed limit and lots of intersections.

It's technically a state highway part of the way, but no one driving it would call it that.  Coming from downtown Amherst, it's a normal town street until you hit Hadley, then a strip mall-ish kind of place a bit less than half the way, then a typical exurban road until you get into town.  Numbered route != highway.

Things seem further apart when there are actually people there, especially when there have been people there more than about three weeks.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #111 on: 29 Mar 2011, 10:19 »

So a Texas rancher is visiting a distant relation, a farmer, in Vermont. Texas asks Vermont, how big is your farm? Vermont thinks a minute, says ... "Well, it goes over to that stone wall over there and up against that stand of trees over there."
Texas smirks and says, "Why, on my ranch in Texas, I can start my pickup at one end of the ranch, floor the gas pedal and, at the end of the day, still not have reached the other end of my land."
Vermont clucks in sympathy and says "Rough, ayuh! I had a truck like that once, myself."

... No, I didn't make that up. I believe I saw it in Isaac Asimov's first joke book, and I don't know where he got it.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2011, 10:23 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #112 on: 29 Mar 2011, 10:27 »

I think she's here to stay (watch, tomorrow she won't just get put on a bus, she'll get hit by a bus).

But you've just cancelled the bus attack by saying it. But she also can't stay, but she can't go, but she can't stay... Nurr, nurr, nurr <head explodes>

(Na-na-na NAHRM nah nah) "Girl you got to let me know... Should I stay or should I go..."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #113 on: 29 Mar 2011, 10:47 »

I've lived in Toronto my whole life and I've never owned a car, always having taken transit or riding my bike.  I'm used to journeys of an hour or more, so it's always bugged me when people aren't willing to take and/or complain about a 20 minute journey.

The best part is my friends at the other end of town who own a car and who take it for granted that I'm willing to make the 2-hour transit ride every time I visit them, but complain about how long the 30 minute drive is it takes them to visit me.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #114 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:20 »

The best part is my friends at the other end of town who own a car and who take it for granted that I'm willing to make the 2-hour transit ride every time I visit them, but complain about how long the 30 minute drive is it takes them to visit me.

...and there you have it, in a nutshell.  Unenlightened self interest.  People expecting their friends to stop by and visit, no matter the inconvenience, who wouldn't go out of their way to do so themselves. 

Laziness (and/or lameness) knows no bounds! 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #115 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:24 »

"Anti-achievers" is the term Dora used.
Just another Joe like 46

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #116 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:25 »

"You tiny state people have a really fucked up sense of scale."

Uh, yep. 20 minutes is nothing. Hell, I think nothing of driving 4 or 5 hours to get to the mountains. That's what happens when you live in Canada, I guess, where we have just a few people spread over a huuuuge amount of space.

Blackie62

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #117 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:40 »

"It's twenty minutes away." Oh god that's *runs the numbers* like 5 hours in West Coast measurements. That's San Francisco to Fresno.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #118 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:56 »

Been lurking for a while and finally gave in to signing up to post.   :laugh:

I don't think this is Dora being put on a bus. I did think it was going that way until the last panel so to me it seems more like Jeph having fun with what people expected to happen and confirming she's going to stick around. She has been appearing less since the break-up and unless more concentration is put on her therapy or something, I see her appearances remaining a similar amount for a while. Unless at least Faye and/or Hanners gets a new job I think we'll still be seeing Dora once in a while too.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #119 on: 29 Mar 2011, 13:18 »

All you big-state Westerners who think it's crazy to be able to drive across a state in less than a day, etc etc... should look at a map of Europe sometime. :-p I have a bunch of friends in England, France, Germany and Spain, and I was always surprised at how often they seemed to pop over to each other's countries for a visit. Then I realized that each of those countries is about the size of a large state. (France is largest and is still smaller than Texas.)

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #120 on: 29 Mar 2011, 13:36 »

Ah, the hyperbole of Penelope.  It's ridiculous for her to assume that they'd never see Dora if she's 20 minutes away, but as others here have pointed out, the incidental/unplanned encounters will drop off considerably.  This may actually be what Dora needs -- to get out of the Northhampton fishbowl and start running into some people she hasn't been seeing every single day of her life.  Even if she doesn't move to Amherst, looking for apartments there could remind her of the obvious fact that the world is much bigger than one town.  Perspective = yay!

Plus, think of the art possibilities if she does move -- in addition to a new apartment background for her, we could get to see various cast members in cars/on bikes/riding the flying Roombas.  It could be fun!

Alternately, Tai could pull some strings to help Dora get near-campus housing . . .
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #121 on: 29 Mar 2011, 14:19 »

...or on  campus housng.  It's de rigueur  that there are usually at least a few  non-students shacking up living in the dorms! 

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #122 on: 29 Mar 2011, 14:30 »

I was thinking is this took place here in BC. The shop might be in New Westminster and they would be complaining that she found a place in Surrey. Surrey here also goes by "Slurry" "Sorry" and "Slurvy".

Hey, another Lower-Mainlander! :D I'm actually often surprised at how lazy my friends are in Vancouver when I moved to New Westminster... I still don't get it. If it takes longer than an hour to walk someplace then maybe I'll use a vehicle, but I feel like I'm the only one going anywhere... >.<
... but if they were complaining about Surrey, they'd have more reasons than geography! *hides*

And on the note of geographical disbelief, I've personally spoken to Easties who are genuinely surprised to find that it's no longer the "wild west". We have indoor plumbing. We don't fight "Injuns".   :roll:

To be fair, of the American friends I have, both East and Westerners have a few among them who honestly believe that most of us live in igloos just an hour north of the border (in BC, of all places), that the "great Canadian seal hunt" takes place on Vancouver Island, and at least two of them thought that the temperature really DOES drop that much once you're in Canada and THAT's how the Americans decided to do up the borders. True story.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #123 on: 29 Mar 2011, 14:51 »

I've had people think that I live in Canada. I point out that no, I live in the part of the state that isn't north of most of the population of Canada.

At least, not yet.  :? :|
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #124 on: 29 Mar 2011, 15:29 »

All you big-state Westerners who think it's crazy to be able to drive across a state in less than a day, etc etc... should look at a map of Europe sometime.
I've been a city-girl all my life, and it's amazing how "village-y" city people can be. I was born in Shanghai, which has a population roughly equal to the whole of Australia. I'd never left the city before I came to Sydney, and indeed hardly travelled outside my local neighbourhood. In a big city, everything is right there! Now I live in what passes for a big city in Australia, and it's much the same, with most Sydneysiders staying within surprisingly small territories. I have friends in Newtown who regard me as having made a long journey to see them (it's about 15km). OK, that's partly because people who live in he Inner West regard anywhere on the Lower North Shore as hopelessly unhip and suburban, but mostly it's just the city mindset.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #125 on: 29 Mar 2011, 15:51 »

OMG, get a grip you two.

If I get the distance relation right, for me it would like having a friend in Wellington City Central while I live in Lower Hutt (which I do).  Admittedly, it's a journey, but it's not as if she'll be moving to - my FOR - Paraparaumu!

And I don't have wheels anymore.  :(
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #126 on: 29 Mar 2011, 15:52 »

That reminds me of a time I was on Oahu with a group of people and it took us a good two hours just to get from Tripler Hospital to Downtown Honolulu. Of course, we had to stupidly take the H-1.....

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #127 on: 29 Mar 2011, 17:17 »

Well, Honolulu has the worst traffic issues of any of the 50 states, California included. That's because they're all trying to go the same place at the same time, of course.

Just another Joe like 46

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #128 on: 29 Mar 2011, 17:41 »

I live in Oregon.
O hai.  :-D Portlander here.

Only East Coast place I've been is Florida, but you people really do have tiny states. I've been to Hawaii, and that was pretty nuts... Didn't take long to get from one part of the island to the other.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #129 on: 29 Mar 2011, 18:00 »

Jersey here.  North Jersey (a distinction only important to people from Jersey).  The way I see it, 20-30 minutes to see a friend is acceptable, but it's considered a journey.  Six Flags is 75 miles away (about an hour and a half in light traffic, I guess), but I've only gone there a few times in my life.  I only make the hour (or so) drive to the beach once or twice a summer because, well, dude, that's really far.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #130 on: 29 Mar 2011, 18:21 »

The way I see it, 20-30 minutes to see a friend is acceptable, but it's considered a journey.  Six Flags is 75 miles away (about an hour and a half in light traffic, I guess), but I've only gone there a few times in my life.  I only make the hour (or so) drive to the beach once or twice a summer because, well, dude, that's really far.

I've got cousins in Cardiff, whom I see a couple of times a year. When I was younger going there involved a two hour car drive to the ferry port, three and a half hours on said ferry, waiting in the port on the other side for an hour for the train to arrive, with a further two hours on the train. All told, that was a 10 hour journey that began at 6am. I've done that journey to see rugby matches, going over the Friday, coming back the Sunday. (Before anyone says anything about flying over, this was before budget airlines and when flights were generally incredibly expensive, more so for two adults and two children). That was a distance of about 200 miles.

People, complain when its actually worth complaining about, like having to stay overnight at work because bad weather makes the journey longer, not when its "A 40 minute journey is so far out of my way."  :roll:

Enduar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ale Iacta Est
« Reply #131 on: 29 Mar 2011, 19:37 »

I live in Texas. Where public transportation is a myth, the roads are made 90% pothole/10% broken car parts, and I have to drive 30 minutes just to go to school or buy food.
Listen to my music!
Dead Planet Series

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #132 on: 29 Mar 2011, 19:51 »

Where do YOU talk to yourself?

In bed, just before I fall asleep.    - 4 (4.9%)
Just after I get up in the morning.    - 1 (1.2%)
On my way to/from work in the car.    - 12 (14.6%)
In the bathroom.    - 1 (1.2%)
At work.    - 3 (3.7%)
All the time!    - 43 (52.4%)
What are you, crazy?    - 3 (3.7%)
I don't talk to myself, and neither does my imaginary friend.    - 12 (14.6%)
I only talk to myself after I down a few pints of whisky.    - 3 (3.7%)

Total Voters: 82
Just another Joe like 46

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #133 on: 29 Mar 2011, 20:03 »

I live in Oregon.
O hai.  :-D Portlander here.

No, you are not.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #134 on: 29 Mar 2011, 21:46 »

Pornographic xkcd tonight.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #135 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:00 »

...wait a minute, yes, she is...

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #136 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:01 »

Uh oh. The thrilling story of how the last tenant lost their security deposit.

*pulls up chair* THIS I GOTTA HEAR.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Nentuaby

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #137 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:18 »

All I can think of is, no way that particular requirement flies in Mass. That landlady's gonna get her lunch eaten by some Wiccan's lawyer.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #138 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:19 »

The realtor's question does raise an interesting point: Dora did admit she was in a coven once, but is she religious in some way now?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #139 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:33 »

Is it religious discrimination if you have a no-sorcery policy? If you don't refuse to rent to tenants, but have a uniform policy about use of the kitchen?

I tried to gather everything known about Dora's religion on the wiki. Probably raised Catholic, current status unknown.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #140 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:34 »

This strip is definitely going to be a Noodles Incident strip, and we'll never find out what actually happened.

If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #141 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:36 »

I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that the carpet needed replacing and the walls needed painting...

Those scorch marks and bloodstains are really hard  to get out!  

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #142 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:37 »

I don't know what all of you Americans are complaining about, I live in Wales. For me the longest drive that I can do in one direction* is 2.5 hrs then i'll either be in the sea or in England, and I live less than 30 mins from the coast. as to visiting friends, do Americans not use the train? i have friends in my old uni town (3 hrs), I take the train, get hammered, then take the train back (or stay over) it's max 10 mins walk at either end.

as for today: I don't think it can be religious discrimination, merely an instruction to avoid practicing in the apartment, i.e. gospel singing or ritual chicken slaughter.

* I'm deliberately not saying straight line, almost every road in this country is ancient and winds around the hills like a pissed snake.
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

Antario

• Larger than most fish
  • Evil eye is watching you
« Reply #143 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:46 »

Living in a relatively (for my area as in 180k people) big city in the netherlands, moving from one side to the other and adding a 30 min travel time by public transport to my journey to meet them or go to the movies does kinda diminish contact from several times a week to 3 times a month or so

i mean its not TO far, but it certainly does have an impact that i cant just pop over after dinner and expect to get home in a timely manner without feeling like ive been there to briefly

so i can see why penpen and hanners think its a big deal, it does impact the relationship somewhat

and now to more recent events, i cant wait to see this kitchen after hearing what they've done to the carpet and walls

and no, its not religious discrimination if they cant turn the apartment into a shrine...thats just common sense
go turn some clearing in the woods into a satanic circle if you must, but leave the walls alone
that kinda deal

Nentuaby

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #144 on: 29 Mar 2011, 23:51 »

DeadlyWonky, no, we really don't take the train unless we're extremely lucky. Even when the train is part of our voyage, we generally have to drive a fair way to the home station and arrange a pickup at the destination station.

The coverage of our train network is extremely spotty. Partly that's because we're so car crazy, partly it's because awful bureaucracy stymies train development, but partly it's just because the country is so gosh-dang big and relatively empty. You'd have to run a truly ungodly amount of track to really tie all of us together so that we could take the train everywhere. Too many miles of track per potential customer to be commercially viable, or even a particularly defensible use of public funding, in any but our most heavily populated areas.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2011, 23:54 by Nentuaby »

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #145 on: 30 Mar 2011, 00:31 »

Pornographic xkcd tonight.

I don't think that passes for pornography anywhere. However, there is a distinct possibility that Randall Munroe has, accidentally, clicked a link leading to Oglaf. Then again, the oil spill didn't start running around.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #146 on: 30 Mar 2011, 00:33 »

There's a difference between religious discrminination and simply barring specific religious practices.  Lots of modern mainstream religions once endorsed sacrificing animals on high holy days in times long past, until that fell out of practice.  You wouldn't be allowd to kill a goat in your apartment simply by claiming you're an old-school follower of your faith.  Hell, if you get a job on weekends, you can't demand paid Sundays off because it's the Sabbath.  Whatever your faith is, no law in Western society allows you to damage people or property in the practice of it.  Take that as positive or negative as you will.

That's one hell of an apartment, though.  Upstairs and downstairs areas, spacious living room, apparently decent-sized kitchen... either Dora's actually renting a house and not an apartment, or it's a big damn apartment.  Perhaps she's actually financially better off than last time she was stressing about her income at CoD?
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #147 on: 30 Mar 2011, 00:35 »

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #148 on: 30 Mar 2011, 00:44 »

I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that the carpet needed replacing and the walls needed painting...

Those scorch marks and bloodstains are really hard  to get out!  

That, or it ws one HELL of a D&D party/LARP.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #149 on: 30 Mar 2011, 01:04 »

There's a difference between religious discrminination and simply barring specific religious practices.  Lots of modern mainstream religions once endorsed sacrificing animals on high holy days in times long past, until that fell out of practice.  You wouldn't be allowd to kill a goat in your apartment simply by claiming you're an old-school follower of your faith.  Hell, if you get a job on weekends, you can't demand paid Sundays off because it's the Sabbath.  Whatever your faith is, no law in Western society allows you to damage people or property in the practice of it.  Take that as positive or negative as you will.

That's one hell of an apartment, though.  Upstairs and downstairs areas, spacious living room, apparently decent-sized kitchen... either Dora's actually renting a house and not an apartment, or it's a big damn apartment.  Perhaps she's actually financially better off than last time she was stressing about her income at CoD?

You're right, but the way the lady asked was discriminatory. She asked "...you're not...?" not "...you don't...?"

If I were Jewish, I could might accept a job knowing full well that I would be required to work on Saturday, and fully willing to do so, but it would be illegal for an employer to not hire me simply for because I was Jewish expecting that I would not be able to work on the Sabbath.

In the US, it is in fact illegal for a prospective landlord to even ask what she asked, a violation of the Federal Fair Housing Act of 1968, which prohibits discrimination concerning the sale, rental, and financing of housing based on race, religion, national origin, and as of 1974, gender. WHile it is debateble whether the practice of sorcery itself is a religion, not renting to someone because they are a Wiccan is a big no-no, and even asking such a casual question opens up a huge legal can of worms.

Unfortunately, it is still perfectly legal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientaion in many areas of the U.S. (although not in Massachusetts.)

Housing discrimination in the U.S. has a long and dark history, I'm afraid.

« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2011, 01:19 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up