Poll

Poll to come

Shebly
Movie sign
Shame Orb
RANDY IS ETERNAL
Robot Hamster

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 11-15 April 2011 (1901-1905)  (Read 88534 times)

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
Re: WCDT 11-15 April 2011 (1901-1905)
« Reply #200 on: 13 Apr 2011, 23:46 »

Blushing Hanners! SQUEEEEEE!  :-D Don't worry, Hanners, cancer doesn't stand a chance against you, either.

Also, cue the Marten/Hannelore shippers in 3...2...1...

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #201 on: 13 Apr 2011, 23:48 »

Why was Hanners in the hospital?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

PenguinNinja1408

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #202 on: 13 Apr 2011, 23:59 »

I really hope there isn't going to be Marten/Hanners thing. I feel like that would be wrong in some way.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #203 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:01 »

I'm going to guess her mental health problems reached crisis stage more than once.

Quote from: PenguinNinja1408
I really hope there isn't going to be Marten/Hanners thing. I feel like that would be wrong in some way.
(moderator)You're absolutely right. It wouldn't be true to the characters, and the administration of this board shares your hope.(/moderator)
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2011, 00:04 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

AsteriskEnye3

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #204 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:02 »

I pretty much came to the forum solely to see how quickly and horrifically they might spring into action. The comic must be BRAND new because there aren't any here yet (posting, anyway). That ought to change by morning.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #205 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:05 »

I'm going to guess her mental health problems reached crisis stage more than once.

That, and I'm guessing she's always been a hypochondriac. Maybe a subconcious way to get her parents' attention for a bit, too (not that I'd blame her if that were the case).
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #206 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:08 »

I'm still thinking it's not shipping as much as it is the brother/sister-like relationship between the two.

Hanners is like the little sister Marten never had. It's kinda cute in a way. And I don't think Marten would even dare go as far as to push Hanner's boundaries by playing the sex card. He already knows that it would end in her being catatonic and beyond repair.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #207 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:08 »

...Jeph is a bad writer because he hates technology.  Riiiiiiiiiiight.

ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS OF THIS WEBCOMIC IS A ROBOT, YOU STUPID SONOFA...

*twitches The Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks*

If Obvious Troll weren't so Obvious... rrrrrrrr...

Anyway it is comic time now.

Adorable Hannelore, if somewhat sad.  Hannerdad is a fun character!  And yes, nanobots are awesome, though their technology should be kept out of Pintsize's reach at all costs lest the world be destroyed in a sex-related Grey Goo Apocalypse.  But her childhood does sound pretty sad... Hanners being so accepting of it is maybe the saddest bit.   :cry:
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #208 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:09 »

(moderator)You're absolutely right. It wouldn't be true to the characters, and the administration of this board shares your hope.(/moderator)
I'm hardly a shipper (I find it silly at best), but you just may be wrong about it being untrue to the characters, at least with recent development.  I guess only time shall tell.

Also, I'm taking this comic as proof that cancer doesn't exist in the QCverse...so yay Hanners's dad!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #209 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:18 »

I think Hanners' function in the strip is to bring out the best in the other characters.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #210 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:40 »

Nanobots against cancer ? I wonder when they will develop those in reallife.
Carpe Diem

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #211 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:48 »

I think Hanners' function in the strip is to bring out the best in the other characters.

I agree; that's a really interesting point/theory. I wish I weren't too exhausted to talk about it  :psyduck: /bedtime
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #212 on: 14 Apr 2011, 00:53 »

Nanobots against cancer ? I wonder when they will develop those in reallife.

Before or after we kill all the religious fundies?

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #213 on: 14 Apr 2011, 01:05 »

D'awwww.

Kudos to Marten for cheering Hanners up, 'cause obviously that "small price to pay" still costs in sadness.  Good friends can make up for a lot of problems.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #214 on: 14 Apr 2011, 01:13 »

Quote from: Marten
You're pretty rad.
Ever the romantic, Marten.

In all seriousness though, neglected Hanners is actually kinda sad, glad to see Marten is trying to cheer her up. I don't really care where Jeph takes this (shipping, brother/sister, stalker/stalkee) I'm just glad to see some more of Marten and Hanners interacting. They have a good dynamic that Jeph really brings out, and I think they steal the comic whenever they share scenes together.

Also blushing Hanners is adorable. Just saying.
I had something witty to put down here but.....

akronnick

« Reply #215 on: 14 Apr 2011, 01:33 »

...or that said treatment is always %100 effective.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

FuseUnison

• Not quite a lurker
  • Searching blindly for life's light switch....
« Reply #216 on: 14 Apr 2011, 01:33 »

I'm definitely trying not to be a "shipper", and I do realize that it would be impossible for Marten and Hanners to form any kind of romantic relationship due to her own idiosyncrasies....but, I could see this recent series of strips resulting in a closer friendship between she and Marten.....just saying.  

It would just be kinda heart warming to see Hanners' character actually have a really close friend as opposed to just "being part of the group".

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #217 on: 14 Apr 2011, 01:38 »

Blushing Hanners! SQUEEEEEE!  :-D Don't worry, Hanners, cancer doesn't stand a chance against you, either.

Oh, how little credit you give us~

I think Jeph as a writer knows better than to turn a cheesy moment like this into something more. Marten and Hannelore are very much compatible, but there's no way for them to have a relationship now without it being a huge mistake. They still have a lot more growing to do. But while they do, I'll sit back, watch, and nod in approval. No one in this comic has a better dynamic than Marten and Hannelore.

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #218 on: 14 Apr 2011, 01:40 »

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #219 on: 14 Apr 2011, 01:56 »

It's nice to see character development for Hannelore.  I think a close friendship between Hanners and Marten could go a long ways towards helping both of them whether it goes further than that or not.  Especially since we now learn that apparently there has never been anyone there to fill the role of giving fatherly/genuine/platonic love to her.  Especially when you consider how Hanner's mom is.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #220 on: 14 Apr 2011, 01:58 »

@ysth So it's a series in both the American and British sense.  How is it?  I've never heard of it until you mentioned it.
I like it a lot, but then I have fond memories of it.  The youtube videos are crappy quality, but it isn't available in any other way.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #221 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:25 »

So both Hannelore's parents were nominees for the "Why'd You Have A Kid If You Were Going to Ignore Her, You Over-Privileged Fuckhead?" award. Not that there isn't stiff competition for that.

Small wonder she has a few issues, I suppose. If I knew my dad dealt in super science and my mother piled up enemies like contestants  pile up boiled shrimp exoskeletons at the Annual "God Hates 'Em, But We Love 'Em" scarfathon, I'd probably be a wee bit nervous, to say the least.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #222 on: 14 Apr 2011, 04:05 »

<snip>
No one in this comic has a better dynamic than Marten and Hannelore.

I dunno. Marten and Faye have a dynamic that's pretty much defined the strip.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Taigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #223 on: 14 Apr 2011, 04:27 »

Hanners does look adorable in that last panel, but I have to call Jeph on one thing.

Is there a reason Marten and Hanners got up and switched places since yesterday's strip?

akronnick

« Reply #224 on: 14 Apr 2011, 04:32 »

A wizard did it

Marten had to put the broadsword away and Hanners had to pee.

I invoke Bellasario's maxim on this one.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #225 on: 14 Apr 2011, 04:41 »

Vinyl maybe, but not cassettes. Casettes were always a pain in the ass. They sounded bad and you had to rewind.

You don't rewind cassettes, you flip them and listen to the other side. 

Same with vinyl. 

VHS or betamax videocassettes needed to be rewound. 

Of course, I grew up with my dad's reel-to-reel as part of the stereo system - he was a '50's technophile.  Tapes of Maria Callas at the Met and the Goon Show off the BBC via shortwave. 

"That's not irrelevant, it's a hippopotamus!"

And all my tape splicing experience made repairing broken cassette tapes pretty easy. 

Oh, the comic?  This is Hanner's version of "the talk".  A sad childhood, and Marten's attempt to make her feel better. 

Of course, she is  pretty rad. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #226 on: 14 Apr 2011, 06:04 »

EEEeee!  I love that last pair of panels!  :D  It really captures the dynamic between Hannelore and Marten.  (Er...  That squee sound wasn't meant as a ship or anything like that; I don't want anyone to eye-laser me!)  :|

@Carl-E, I like your sig quote.  I hope you don't mind if I reuse it elsewhere.  :)

EDIT:  Also, looking over the posts about cassette recorders and vinyl makes me feel better about my age.  It's nice to know there are other people, like me, who remember those things.  :)
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2011, 06:21 by Tormuse »

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #227 on: 14 Apr 2011, 06:20 »

Appropriate response Hanners is just adorable.  And I love that she takes the compliment, and blushes instead of freaking out.  She's just so damned cute.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #228 on: 14 Apr 2011, 06:24 »

Awwww, Marten's such a good friend.  :-)

Ascension

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #229 on: 14 Apr 2011, 06:31 »

While I agree with the general sentiment for the moment, and further agree Marten is probably not ever going to be a good choice for it, I think it does Hannelore a disservice to presume she's incapable of a non-platonic relationship. We've seen her reaction to the firemen, yaoi, the 'party favors,' etc... she's not asexual. She's got a lot holding her back, but the assumption it's never going to happen just feels like a misplaced attempt to keep her "innocent."

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #230 on: 14 Apr 2011, 06:57 »

While I agree with the general sentiment for the moment, and further agree Marten is probably not ever going to be a good choice for it, I think it does Hannelore a disservice to presume she's incapable of a non-platonic relationship. We've seen her reaction to the firemen, yaoi, the 'party favors,' etc... she's not asexual. She's got a lot holding her back, but the assumption it's never going to happen just feels like a misplaced attempt to keep her "innocent."

Seriously. The assumption that someone with OCD is incapable of enjoying a non-platonic relationship is almost as insulting as this:

rambleon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #231 on: 14 Apr 2011, 07:40 »

Come on Marty, stop flirting with Hanners  :roll:

Cybit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #232 on: 14 Apr 2011, 08:43 »

I'll second the Hanners/Marten relationship as being my favorite one in the strip; mostly because Hanners and Marten, for all their neuroses, are both arguably the most genuine and forthright folks in the strip with how they relate to others instead of themselves. 

Heh, part of the reason QC is so good is that everyone sees a little part of themselves in a character.  I am very much like Marten, completely ripe for taking abuse when it comes to myself, but blow up on a hair trigger if someone goes after my friends. 

That said, Marten & Hanners turning into a full-blown friendship seems like a perfect fit for both of them.  Marten is at his best when it comes to making himself better because someone else needs it, and Hanners is the perfect person to do that for.  Innocent, naive, but genuine and doesn't have the "trying to read her" aspect that can frustrate Marten.  WYSIWYG, and that's what Marten needs in his life.  For Hanners, having someone like Marten able to start getting her spooled up and becoming more part of normal society is what she needs; someone she can trust to only have her best interests at heart, and do what it takes to make her happy and feel accepted. 

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #233 on: 14 Apr 2011, 08:44 »

I... don't seem to recall anyone actually saying that Hannelore could never have a romantic relationship with someone.  It's been made abundantly clear several times in the comic that she does have an interest in romance and even sex.  She even openly acknowledges that she has these feelings on more than one occasion.  Nobody's saying different!  The only thing folks are saying in this thread is that it seems unlikely she's actually going to hook up with Marten, or at least unlikely in the forseeable future.  Given her issues, Marten's recent breakup, and the strong platonic relationship they have like brother and sister, I wholeheartedly agree with that.

I mean it'd be great if Hannelore did eventually find herself a fella and overcame her issues.  Really it would.  I just... can't see it being Marten.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #234 on: 14 Apr 2011, 09:45 »

Looks like Jeph toned down the blushing in the last panel. Disappointing, but understandable. I agree with everyone else who said Marten and Hanners have more of a sibling relationship than a "romantic" one. Marten is able to be there for Hanners, and Hanners makes Marten feel better about himself in the process. Probably one of the most stable friendships possible.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #235 on: 14 Apr 2011, 10:02 »

I'd like to remind everyone how strong and stable friendships can, after several years time, lead to romance and even mawwiage. 

Factor in Hanners coming to grips with her issues with Marten's (and Dr. Corrine's) help, and the way QC time works, and there should be wedding bells - oh, around 2035 or so. 

And Dora may actually get her wish to be a flower girl...    :psyduck:

galarant

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #236 on: 14 Apr 2011, 10:11 »

ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS OF THIS WEBCOMIC IS A ROBOT, YOU STUPID SONOFA...

Who he never really does anything interesting with, and who mainly exists for just comic relief. Quoting Jeph here: "I usually lose interest about three strips in to these AnthroPC-centric storylines." and "Like I said, every time I try to do a robot-centric story, it almost immediately veers back into human-centric stuff."

Also, in response to some other posts on this thread:

-Yes there are people who fetishize cassette tapes. I have met a few of them. They are uniformly annoying.

-Rocket fist woulda been SWEET.

-Marten/Hanners should totally do it.

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #237 on: 14 Apr 2011, 11:00 »

I don't see this as the onset of a full Marten/Hannelore friendship. They've been good friends for a while. They're always visiting each other, and after M broke up with Dora she was his drinking buddy.

shiroihikari

• Plantmonster
« Reply #238 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:13 »

Soooo...Marten and Hannelore: bros for life?

In all seriousness, I'm not a MartenxHanners shipper, but I love their dynamic.  They just get along so well these days, and it's been made clear time and time again that Hannelore trusts Marten a great deal.  That makes me happy for her, because I think she really needs someone she can trust (who doesn't?).

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #239 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:22 »

-Marten/Hanners should totally do it.
(moderator)This board has been trying very hard to move away from that kind of shipping. Please don't.
Hannelore's current abilities, well, I quote:
Quote from: Jeph
Before any of you weirdos go "omg did they sleep together LOL" I want you to take a deep breath, count to ten, and ask yourself if Hannelore would EVER willingly share a bed with another human being. The answer should be fairly obvious!
(/moderator)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #240 on: 14 Apr 2011, 13:29 »

Of course, I grew up with my dad's reel-to-reel as part of the stereo system - he was a '50's technophile.  Tapes of Maria Callas at the Met and the Goon Show off the BBC via shortwave. 

"That's not irrelevant, it's a hippopotamus!"

Flanders & Swann?

Yes, them too  (I grew up with all their records), but that's about ten years later - where do you think they  got it? 

Sellers, Secombe and Milligan  - comedic geniuses, forefathers (all three of 'em) to the likes of Monty Python, The Two Ronnies, and yes, even Flanders & Swann.  Screwball doesn't even begin  to describe it...

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #241 on: 14 Apr 2011, 14:53 »

Marten and friends have def helped Hanners come a long way towards normalcy, and we even saw when Hannermom came to town, she was strong enough to overcome her OCD and touch the toilet seat to help Marten get 2000 dollars.

I will second that it's never been said Hanners is undateable or desires to be a virgin forever, but it's been defined her condition would preclude any sort of physical contact which is a big part of dating.

I just hope that Hanners doesn't subconciously use Marten to get over some some of her phobias, and Marten ends up getting hurt.

I've been there, and it's like that scene from Lord of the Rings when Frodo tries to give Gandalf the ring.

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #242 on: 14 Apr 2011, 15:13 »

Hanners, you are way more rad than cancer-fighting nanomachines. You give us laughter, joy, awesomeness and cuteness. Not to mention you speak Cthulu.

Plus, nanomachines are (probably, in the QCverse) a one-time deal. You most definitely are not that kind of person, Ms. Ellicott-Chatham.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #243 on: 14 Apr 2011, 15:20 »

Dawwwww

I think it's probably unlikely that Marten/Hanners would happen, but this is Jephs Comic and as we all know, odder things have happened in the QCverse.

It would be nice though - and interesting.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #244 on: 14 Apr 2011, 15:45 »

So does that mean the only things guarenteed in life are death, taxes, and Marten/Hanners?

:-D

SirDudley

« Reply #245 on: 14 Apr 2011, 16:07 »

So does that mean the only things guarenteed in life are death, taxes, and Marten/Hanners?

:-D

And stupid people. Cannot forget the stupid people.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #247 on: 14 Apr 2011, 18:40 »

Hannelore does dream of normalcy and has made progress, but it goes verrrrrrrrry slowwwwwwwwly.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DeathbyChiasmus

• Not quite a lurker
  • I was a teenage were-Purchasing Rockstar
    • Sketch Comedy
« Reply #248 on: 14 Apr 2011, 19:52 »

Dude. Marten and Hanners are totally moirailin' for each other.

Just sayin'.
-Jackson Ferrell
Sketch Comedy: it's a stand-up comic.

SirDudley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up