THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 05:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holy Shit, Valve  (Read 18948 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Holy Shit, Valve
« Reply #50 on: 19 Apr 2011, 14:22 »

Steam, people?

Euro-pound exchange rate, Snalin. I'm willing to wait if it means getting the game for €30 instead of 50.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #51 on: 19 Apr 2011, 15:04 »

couldn't resist; i went home on my lunch break and played for about 15 minutes

I haven't even gotten use of both portals yet and it's already been so fucking hilarious
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #52 on: 19 Apr 2011, 17:46 »

I want to talk about this game but I don't have permission to post spoilers.  :-(

Screw it, whatever.

Thoughts I have had about this game (Spoilers up to about halfway through chapter 6)

The standard moving tutorial was excellent. "Press space to speak." Holy shit I I cracked up.
GLaDOS after being revived is genuinely frightening, though that gives way to hilarious passive aggressive insults.
Wheatly is very funny and affable, which makes his obvious sudden but inevitable betrayal that much sadder. GLaDOS's revelation as to his true purpose was awesome, though.
Well done to Valve for thinking "How do we top a psychopathic passive aggressive AI?" and coming up with the answer "JK Simmons."
The new puzzle components are, thus far, really interesting, though it makes thinking with portals that much harder when the solution doesn't involve any of them. More than once I've been completely confused as to how to progress when the answer was "portal over there."

Basically, thus far, predictably insanely good game.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2011, 17:50 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #53 on: 19 Apr 2011, 18:11 »

steam hasn't sold it for less than $45, unless you pooled to buy it with a friend, while amazon and other places have had it for $35 (or less?) at times

The best deal thus far was online at BestBuy.com;  $35 pre-order with $10 gift card via extra point rewards.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #54 on: 19 Apr 2011, 19:09 »

submitting last final assignment tonight, will be playing through the game in one sitting tomorrow, fuck all of your couches
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #55 on: 19 Apr 2011, 20:10 »

Oh god this game.  I'm just past what felt like the tutorial section of the game, thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #56 on: 19 Apr 2011, 20:40 »

I missed out the BB preorder deal but I still bought it today since I talked the clerk into giving me the website price of $5 off and $10 Gift Card.  Which should be in addition to another $10 Gamers Club Certificate.  So that is $20 less on a future purchase.

But guess what?  Today is the day they had Best Buy Rewards down for THE ENTIRE DAY for maintenance.  So I couldn't print off the certs I already have.  Coincidence that they had the site down on a really big release date?  Or planned out so I can't spend any of my certs and have to pay full price in cash?

But screw it.  This game was totally work shelling out $45 for.  It runs really awesome on my shitty computer even on high detail setting.

It looks amazing, it's hilarious and the gameplay is awesome.  I haven't even gotten past Chapter 2 yet.

I am getting some batteries for my wireless laser mouse.  It's time for some testing.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2011, 20:42 by Caleb »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #57 on: 19 Apr 2011, 20:51 »

I don't have this yet but I may get it on the weekend. (probably better for my grade since I have a project due at the end of the week)
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #58 on: 19 Apr 2011, 21:00 »

If you have school work, leave this game alone because you won't be able to put it down until you finish it. I think it may actually be better than the first. That said, the later chapters get particularly challenging. Some of the chambers in Chapter 8 are nuts. I'm trying to get as many achievements as I can on my first run through but I've already missed a couple. Oh well, guess that means I get have to play chapters 1 through 6 again.  Such a chore. :-D
Quis pater tibi est?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #59 on: 19 Apr 2011, 21:24 »

I got both the Good Listener and Preservation of Mass achievements without realizing they would be achievements. Just "Huh. I wonder what happens..."
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #60 on: 19 Apr 2011, 22:47 »

If you have school work, leave this game alone because you won't be able to put it down until you finish it.
I don't even have the game and it's distracting me.

Mein Tumblr

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #61 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:22 »

I play audiosurf with 20+ minute long obscure prog rock
LIKE A REAL MAN

It won't let me play Dopesmoker
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #62 on: 20 Apr 2011, 13:01 »

Anyone up for some co-op this weekend?

Mein Tumblr

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #63 on: 20 Apr 2011, 15:48 »

I got both the Good Listener and Preservation of Mass achievements without realizing they would be achievements. Just "Huh. I wonder what happens..."

It was like that for Scanned Alone and No Hard Feelings, I just felt bad for the little guy.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #64 on: 20 Apr 2011, 17:25 »

Holy shit, they are making me feel sorry for GlaDOS. Just got out of "reunion" and back up into the normal area. This is some pretty good stuff so far story-wise. Love the stupid little box robots.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 20 Apr 2011, 17:54 »

Man, I finished earlier today and have been wracking my brain trying to find any flaw. I finally just figured one out:

They got rid of the little indicator on the HUD that tells you which color portal you shot last.

So there you go. The game's fatal flaw is a minor HUD detail that I forgot even existed in the first game until my roommate pointed it out.

If I were to talk about everything I liked about the game, I would literally write pages. This is a masterpiece. It's unparalleled. Valve completely outdid themselves.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #66 on: 20 Apr 2011, 19:15 »

I noticed that, but also the portal colors seem to go through walls. Like if you walk around a corner you can still see what colors have been used.

Torlek

« Reply #67 on: 20 Apr 2011, 19:30 »

Umm, the light on top of the portal gun has always showed which color you shot last. The target reticule also shows which colors you have active.
Quis pater tibi est?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #68 on: 21 Apr 2011, 00:05 »

Well, guy, I just finished it.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #69 on: 21 Apr 2011, 02:21 »

I think I'm done playing for tonight. So far it definitely lives up to expectations, although I do find the bits right after you escape from the facility where you have to zoom in and find the tiny bits of wall across where you can actually shoot a portal a little tedious. Erik Wolpaw is one of the funniest people in the game industry, I'm really impressed at how consistently funny the writing is stretched out over a longer game than the first. I really enjoyed the defective turrets during their brief time onscreen.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #70 on: 21 Apr 2011, 08:45 »

So I just finished the single-player game, and I think that it is one of the best games I've played ever.  The original Portal is probably the game that gave me the most joy, even with its relatively short timeframe.  Not sure if this one was better, but it was as good in parts and longer, so there's that to be said about it.

I am torn on the ending, though.  Could have done without the bit with the turrets, or if they were gonna do what you thought at the start of that sequence just do it.  One or the other, or the sequence is kinda unnecessary.

ps: I <3 Cave Johnson.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #71 on: 21 Apr 2011, 09:12 »

Man.  I am not done and yet there are a ton of cool moments that have happened during the game.

I totally need to finish this thing.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #72 on: 21 Apr 2011, 10:07 »

fuck fuck fuck this game is fantastic

i've put a couple hours into it each night since it came out, dividing my time about 70/30 between the single player and the co-op. Yesterday was 4/20 and i had to watch my parents' house and dogs cause they were out of town, so my roomate came over and we smoked a bunch of weed and got our minds blown by some of the co-op puzzles.

the co-op levels with the light bridges can get really confusing if you let them. in one room we ended up with a multitiered bridge labrynth and we couldn't figure out which portal to walk through to leave, we just kept coming out at a different part of the same room. we ran back and forth on those bridges for probably half an hour before we finally found the right way and got out.

also this is, hands down, the funniest fucking game i've ever played. it just never quits.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #73 on: 21 Apr 2011, 10:28 »

Looking at my achievements, it looks like my roommate and I started playing the co-op mode at 8pm and finished at 1am.

5 hours very well spent.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

IrrationalPie

« Reply #74 on: 21 Apr 2011, 16:09 »

Just finished the single player.  It was very good.  

I don't think I was quite happy with how far they delved into the Caroline plot point, but other than that -- it was perfect.

Is it better than Portal?  I would have to say it's more in-depth, longer, and just as fun as Portal.

Also :  Holy shit . . the voice acting was incredible.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #75 on: 21 Apr 2011, 16:32 »

Arglbarglbargl. Thanks for keeping the spoilers going guys. I need to play this but I currently have 8$ in my checking account so it may be a while.
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #76 on: 21 Apr 2011, 16:38 »

just take out a high interest loan or something

seriously, it's amazing, and totally worth damaging your credit for

it bumped something out of my Top 5 Games of All Time list, though I'm not sure which game, or what that list even looks like. I just know that this is on it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #77 on: 21 Apr 2011, 18:22 »

I can't hesitate at all to say that, as a game, it's better than Portal 1. There's no question about it. What sets Portal 1 higher than it is the fact that it basically was created from nothing. There was no template, no precursor that demonstrated how you make a game like that. It's the video game equivalent of "Let there be light." From the ether, they extracted both brilliant level design, fantastic gameplay, and a brilliant story and character. So from that view, of course Portal 2 is better. It had Portal 1 to build off of. And, similarly, that's what made GLaDOS this amazing, perfect character in Portal 2- they could build off of her from Portal 1 and give her this great narrative and arc. That's not to disparage the other characters, of course, in any other game any character in this game would be the stand out character that the entire franchise following it would base their game around and make spinoffs for and push hard to promote, it's just GLaDOS's story was that much better.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2011, 18:27 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #78 on: 21 Apr 2011, 21:18 »

Oh my god....that final battle. FUCKING BRILLIANT. I'm laughing so hard, I didn't think it would work.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #79 on: 21 Apr 2011, 21:22 »

Yeah. Man. When I saw what was coming, I cracked the hell up. That was the best resolution to a boss fight in all of video game history.

The best part is they totally set up that it would work earlier in the game. The white gel is made from moon rocks.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Torlek

« Reply #80 on: 21 Apr 2011, 23:34 »

Yeah. Man. When I saw what was coming, I cracked the hell up. That was the best resolution to a boss fight in all of video game history.

The best part is they totally set up that it would work earlier in the game. The white gel is made from moon rocks.
I know, that was one of those wonderful epiphany moments...The sky opened up and I thought, 'That's a pretty moon render.' Then up comes the portal gun, I instinctively click the mouse and as I'm clicking it dawns on me, lunar regolith is a portal conductor! Bang! Zoom!  Straight to the moon.[/size=1pt[
Quis pater tibi est?

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #81 on: 22 Apr 2011, 00:51 »

I saw it and I was like, oooh prettty, and then I was like, no way that's too much but I clicked anyway and it was amazing.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

IrrationalPie

« Reply #82 on: 22 Apr 2011, 00:59 »

This boss battle was way easier than Portal's.

The hardest part for me was figuring out where the hell the third core was.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #83 on: 22 Apr 2011, 02:20 »

spoiler thread open! no more tiny text. use this thread to convince people to buy it/set up co-op/whatever. (i'm down for co-op some time this weekend if anyone wants to, btw)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #84 on: 22 Apr 2011, 07:09 »

Oh yeah, uh, it'd be totally awesome if anyone would let me use them for the Professor Portal achievement on Steam.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #85 on: 22 Apr 2011, 11:10 »

and i really want to get the "empty gesture" achievement on xbox

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #86 on: 23 Apr 2011, 16:13 »

I still haven't played co-op yet, and I think I missed a fair amount of the easter egg achievements in single player too, so I'm gonna have to go back and do those.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #87 on: 23 Apr 2011, 17:33 »

hey bryan, wanna do co-op some time

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #88 on: 23 Apr 2011, 17:43 »

Right, question, which is the better ending song?
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #89 on: 23 Apr 2011, 18:00 »

I liked the first song more, because I didn't know it was coming.  This was was more expected, I think?  I just sat back and listened to it happily, whereas the previous one filled me to the brim with joy. I mean, I was tingling.

That's not necessarily an indictment on the second song, just that the first one set the bar very high.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #90 on: 23 Apr 2011, 18:40 »

hey bryan, wanna do co-op some time

For sure dude, hit me up. I've been working a lot lately though so I'm not online as much.

Right, question, which is the better ending song?

As played to death as it is by now, I still enjoy the original song much more. Portal 2's isn't as catchy or as funny to me.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #91 on: 23 Apr 2011, 19:09 »

I didn't really pay attention to the second song, then again it was pretty late when I beat it. I can probably sing the first song straight from memory.

Josefbugman

« Reply #92 on: 24 Apr 2011, 03:40 »

Wow, I actually preffered the second song.

I mean it just seemed more like a good song to actually listen to, rather than to have at the end of a game.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #93 on: 24 Apr 2011, 12:42 »

yeah the second one is a better-written and especially -mixed song i think

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #94 on: 24 Apr 2011, 13:16 »

The franken-cubes are the most adorable abominations of science.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #95 on: 25 Apr 2011, 08:14 »

And this shirt is the best thing.

Mein Tumblr

Josefbugman

« Reply #96 on: 26 Apr 2011, 00:52 »

"I'm different!" or "Heeeeeloooo" is written on the back I hope?

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #97 on: 26 Apr 2011, 04:29 »

are you still there?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Blue Kitty

• Twitter