Poll

Moment of the week!

Tai as an MGS guard
- 6 (5.6%)
Mieville's tragic leap
- 38 (35.2%)
KILL.  YOU.  BOTH.
- 22 (20.4%)
..-. ..- -. / .-- .. - .... / ... .- -- ..- . .-.. / -- --- .-. ... .
- 30 (27.8%)
"Stop slapping yourself with your metal hand!" (not an actual quote, but I like to think she said it between comics)
- 12 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2-6 May 2011 (1916-1920)  (Read 69071 times)

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
Re: WCDT 2-6 May 2011 (1916-1920)
« Reply #350 on: 07 May 2011, 01:33 »

Is it wrong that I heard that in GLaDOS's voice?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #351 on: 07 May 2011, 02:01 »

I could totally see the Lemmings' puzzle maps as parts of the Enrichment center.  Of course this is before they developed the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, and GLaDOS started running individual trials rather than group ones.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #352 on: 07 May 2011, 03:21 »

Lemmings, you say?

No need to thank me.  :P  Alternatively, if it eats up all your free time (and it will) that's not my fault.

Thanks for the link. I so miss the cheerful toe-tapping tunes of the DOS version an obviously cracked copy I got from a friend who got it from .... This is similar to the windows versionat which point I decided to still my conscience by buying a legal copy, but missing the live action replay -feature, which is for cheats and other crooks, but ever so useful, when I cannot afford to mess up my sleeping schedule (or prolong the coffee break unduly).

@MoM: Sorry 'bout going a bit off-topic here. Just remembered, where I had seen 'Madness' & 'Method' in the same sentence. The title of one of the trickier levels of Lemmings (anyone else here spent days trying to save them little critters?) was 'There's madness in the method'. IIRC I had to ask a friend for a hint with that one.
Man, I haven't played Lemmings in years.  But nope, not where I got it from.  (Its origin is in my sig, btw)
That's what I thought. Since I didn't recall a historical Roman orator by that name I had to google it. I'm afraid references to the works of the Bard fly over my head most of the time. Can't help it. A consequence of not getting your basic education in English, I suppose.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2011, 03:29 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #353 on: 07 May 2011, 03:39 »

See?  We're educational! 

And clearly I'm  getting one - never heard of this lemmings game before...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #354 on: 07 May 2011, 09:44 »

Sibelius, for the win.

Oddities corner: I have a CD of Sibelius's music for organ.  Possibly the most interesting thing on it is a piece that he admitted uses material taken from his eighth symphony, which he destroyed.  Buying the CD meant finding the web site of an obscure Finnish recording company and then navigating the site and shop entirely in Finnish...

LOL. Sounds like the experience didn't ruin your credit rating, though.

An oddity, indeed. Sibelius hasn't composed much for organ. Symphonic poems and piano for me. One of my favorite Sibelius CDs has Barbirolli conducting Hallé orchestra.

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #355 on: 07 May 2011, 11:36 »

Funnily enough I was listening to some songs on random just as I read that comic and what came on? Johnny Cash's version of Hurt.
I still find it amazing that Cash's last big hit was a Nine Inch Nails cover. That worked VERY well with The Man in Black's style.

God, that man had a great voice.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #356 on: 07 May 2011, 11:39 »

I know. Cash's version of "Hurt" made me tear up the first time I heard it. Such subtle power in that voice, even in old age.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #357 on: 07 May 2011, 11:42 »

Whats even more amazing is that when he heard Johnny Cash's version, Trent Reznor said that "Hurt" was no longer his song, it was Johnny Cash's.

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #358 on: 07 May 2011, 11:46 »

I know. Cash's version of "Hurt" made me tear up the first time I heard it. Such subtle power in that voice, even in old age.
Not to mention just before death as well. I think the music video for "Hurt" aired about...what, three or so weeks before he died?
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #359 on: 07 May 2011, 15:24 »

An oddity, indeed. Sibelius hasn't composed much for organ. Symphonic poems and piano for me. One of my favorite Sibelius CDs has Barbirolli conducting Hallé orchestra.
4th Symphony and violin concerto for me. Sibelius is my favourite western composer. After J.S.Bach, of course, everyone is after Bach.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #360 on: 07 May 2011, 15:46 »

I have recordings of all  Bach's works; but long before I managed that I already had recordings of all the music of Bartók (well, I'm missing a couple of small pieces and juvenilia - but I have paper copies of those).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #361 on: 08 May 2011, 11:21 »

Not to mention just before death as well. I think the music video for "Hurt" aired about...what, three or so weeks before he died?

I'd heard Hurt, but never know it was a Nine Inch Nails cover.  It is   truly beatiful and moving, but the one that always gets me is "Aint no Grave", which I recognized as an old pentacostal hymn (I really  ran with the wrong crowd in college...). 

Unfortunately, some yahoo bad-guy wrestler took it on as his theme song, and the uplifting emotions I feel whenever I hear it got trampled when I visited a friend who had wrestling on the tube.  I still love it, and it's not like it was ruined forever, but what has been seen & heard...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #362 on: 16 May 2011, 12:53 »

Sibelius, for the win.

Oddities corner: I have a CD of Sibelius's music for organ.  Possibly the most interesting thing on it is a piece that he admitted uses material taken from his eighth symphony, which he destroyed.  Buying the CD meant finding the web site of an obscure Finnish recording company and then navigating the site and shop entirely in Finnish...

Adding to the oddity: Today I met a couple senior colleagues, who are much more knowledgable about this than I will ever be. They told me that a lot of Sibelius' organ music is actually ritual music he composed for the free mason lodge that he joined later in his life. At more or less the same time, when he was working on the abandoned 8th symphony.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #363 on: 16 May 2011, 13:33 »

Quite so - I just didn't mention that.  But then, some major Mozart is masonic too, like, er: "Masonic Funeral Music, K477".  Not to mention The Magic Flute.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up