THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 02:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was.... THE... MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK?

Why didn't you just come back?  You LEFT ME HERE!
- 2 (5.1%)
I don't know him! He oculd be a KNIFE KILLER!
- 4 (10.3%)
I go fishing sometimes! It's more humane!
- 1 (2.6%)
Penelope Gaines meets PIZZA GIRL!
- 17 (43.6%)
Nice try, but yer not gonna throw me off your trail that easy.
- 0 (0%)
"We're throwing a big end-of-the-semester party. Wanna come?"
- 0 (0%)
I was gonna invite Dora too...
- 1 (2.6%)
If she's cool, I'm cool.
- 1 (2.6%)
Is this some kind of convoluted scheme to get us back together?
- 0 (0%)
Um, actually... kind of the exact opposite.
- 3 (7.7%)
Some kind of scheme to murder each other?
- 0 (0%)
Muffin delivery!
- 0 (0%)
Our, uh, our coffee beans. OH$#!+
- 0 (0%)
You must think I'm completely unprofessional.
- 0 (0%)
Here's what I had roasted for us. Take it.
- 0 (0%)
I can just roast more for us today.
- 0 (0%)
Oh, in that case I'll just come back...
- 0 (0%)
DAMMIT JIM, I'M TRYING TO BE THE MORE ACCOMMODATING PARTY HERE!
- 10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 23-27 May 2011 (1931-1935)  (Read 81842 times)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT: 23-27 May 2011 (1931-1935)
« Reply #150 on: 25 May 2011, 03:34 »

Aaaagghh nooo Tai don't go there, don't go there...  :-o I can't believe this! :D This is the funniest plot twist ever.. however it travels dangerously near "beverly hills" territory. "My bisexual ex-girlfriend and my lesbian boss gets it on at a party to which the latter invited me ohhh my gooooooooooooooooooooooooood". Gosh I sound like a 14-year old don't I?

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #151 on: 25 May 2011, 03:56 »

I wish some of the women where I worked would dress like that.

Some of them, not all of them.

Yeah, some of them are totes ugly. Ugly people don't have any right to try to feel attractive or self-confident, but sexy people should dress as sexily as possible at all times.

I was thinking specifically of the single ones, actually. I don't want the married ones prancing around in skimpy clothing, stirring up drama.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #152 on: 25 May 2011, 04:00 »

Man there is a lot of assumption here about Tai's motivations and/or intellect. No, she's not inviting him to watch, she's inviting him to include him because they are friends

But she also realized "oh hey I kind of invited Dora and I would like to get my freak on with Dora"

And then she figured she should probably tell Marten, especially since that might affect his decision whether or not to go, and it's past fuckin time she was honest about her interest in Dora anyhow
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #153 on: 25 May 2011, 04:08 »

could be Tai's way of seeing if things are really over between Dora and Marten and/or give them some closure so that she can make her move without being a rebound.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #154 on: 25 May 2011, 04:21 »

We keep gaming this scenario out and Ziggy says that there's an 86% probability that Tai's going to get hurt.

Surprisingly, Dora isn't far behind with a 57% heartache rating, and Marten is only running about 13%, just slightly more than Pintsize (who has no heart)

Which one is Sam this time?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

TheEvilDog

« Reply #155 on: 25 May 2011, 05:32 »

Trainwrecks are kind of awesome, but for once I'd like to see someone avoid one in the strip.

Pfft, yeah, like that isn't going to happen.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #156 on: 25 May 2011, 05:56 »

This.  This could be a delicious train wreck.   :evil:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #157 on: 25 May 2011, 06:44 »

Man there is a lot of assumption here about Tai's motivations and/or intellect. No, she's not inviting him to watch, she's inviting him to include him because they are friends

But she also realized "oh hey I kind of invited Dora and I would like to get my freak on with Dora"

And then she figured she should probably tell Marten, especially since that might affect his decision whether or not to go, and it's past fuckin time she was honest about her interest in Dora anyhow

No, look at her body language through the whole strip - slumped, with a strong sense of avoidance - awkwardness isn't a second thought to inviting Marten, she's going into it with that! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #158 on: 25 May 2011, 07:06 »

This can't possibly end well. Actually, it's Marten. Nevermind, it'll end as usual.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #159 on: 25 May 2011, 07:22 »

Tai's been pretty obvious about her interest in Dora, both to Marten and to Dora. But neither of them have taken it seriously.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Cybit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #160 on: 25 May 2011, 07:30 »

Based on what Tai has said earlier, there's no way Marten could think Tai is seriously interested in Dora.  Which means that Marten is thinking that "oh, well, she's wanting to make sure we're OK as friends", not "Tai wants to sleep with Dora."

Also, if Dora and Tai actually hook up, that makes both of them pretty crappy human beings.  Dora can't go "I can't handle a relationship" and then hook up with Tai, and Tai would be stabbing Marten in the back pretty hard here.  But, when it comes to romance (or lust, in this case), it's amazing how many friendships can be immediately disregarded in order to get what folks want. 

This is going to end so badly.  Soooo badly. 

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #161 on: 25 May 2011, 07:48 »

How is dating a friend's ex "stabbing him in the back"? Especially if she asks him first?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Cybit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #162 on: 25 May 2011, 07:51 »

There has been a distinct lack of direct "asking" so far.  If she flat out says "hey, I'm inviting Dora because I'm interested in her, but don't want to leave you out of it.." then it's not stabbing in the back (it's still kind of bad, IMO, but that's just me).  She knows Marten is clueless.  She knows darned well that she has to say what's going on, otherwise he won't expect it. 

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #163 on: 25 May 2011, 08:04 »

It seems that exactly what she is trying to do right now. I agree that she should give a heads up, just so he isn't caught off guard should anything come of it. However, I don't see anything wrong with dating someone a friend of yours dated.  Then again, I'm  lesbian from a place where the options for finding other ladies to date is pretty limited. If you weren't allowed to date someone a friend used to date, no one would be able to date anyone other than their first girlfriend.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TheEvilDog

« Reply #164 on: 25 May 2011, 08:10 »

How is dating a friend's ex "stabbing him in the back"? Especially if she asks him first?

This was a point we talked about when we saw Tai kinda zeroing on Dora a couple of weeks ago. Despite several claims by Tai that she couldn't go after Dora because she was Marten's ex, we saw Tai go up to Dora and make some awkward conversation and leave with butterflies in her stomach. Naturally some saw it as Tai getting ready to stab Marten in the back.

Does someone need permission to date a friend's ex? No, of course not. Its more a question of how much of a good friend one considers themself, do they take the chance and potentially ruin a friendship by tearing open old wounds? Or do they take a couple of minutes to take their friend aside and ask what they think? Thats what Tai is doing here, so I see no back-stabbing, just Marten being oblivious and providing some facepalm material.

Tiogyr

« Reply #165 on: 25 May 2011, 08:50 »

Or it could be Tai trying to precipitate a bit of final closure between Dora and Marten by forcing them into the same room so that they have whatever talk they will eventually end up having, then freeing things up so she can move in afterwards.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #166 on: 25 May 2011, 08:51 »

In Marten's defense, Tai's specifically said that she wouldn't go after Dora if they broke up.

It seems that exactly what she is trying to do right now. I agree that she should give a heads up, just so he isn't caught off guard should anything come of it. However, I don't see anything wrong with dating someone a friend of yours dated.  Then again, I'm  lesbian from a place where the options for finding other ladies to date is pretty limited. If you weren't allowed to date someone a friend used to date, no one would be able to date anyone other than their first girlfriend.

That sounds like love-polyhedral Hell.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 08:53 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

jacjyd

• Plantmonster
« Reply #167 on: 25 May 2011, 09:10 »

All I wanted to say is that seeing the TEH shirt again always makes me happy. :-) It's like an old friend!

I love that the characters in this strip don't wear the same outfit everyday.  Repeats just enough!

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #168 on: 25 May 2011, 09:11 »

I think it's something  along the line of:

1) Martin is my friend.
2) IF I go to a party it would be bad manners NOT inviting him.
3) So I invite him, BUT I warn him that things might get awkward.

Now it's up to Martin to accept the awkwardness, or decline the invitation.
You may be right, but I think that's some pretty faulty logic. Where is this "law of politeness" that says you absolutely must invite every single friend you have to a party that you're going to? I don't think it's rude at all to not invite Marten, especially since he won't know anyone other than Tai and, to make things awkward, Dora. If it was a party with all of Tai's and Marten's mutual friends, it'd be different, but this is a party that Marten has no real obvious reason to be invited to. Tai could have not mentioned it and no one would have been hurt. Instead, she's creating an awkward situation because...well, because she's Tai and that's what she does, I guess.

Cybit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #169 on: 25 May 2011, 09:46 »

Aye, if Tai hadn't specifically stated in the past she wouldn't go after Dora, that would be one thing.  But a) give them both some time out of respect and b) don't say things like that if you don't intend on keeping your word.  It feels almost manipulative if Tai wants them to talk so that she can make a move on Dora, and I'd pretty upset if a friend wanted me to reconcile with an ex so it's "less awkward" for them to make a move on her.  

The whole thing seems sketchy to me, and whenever something seems iffy, I always try to err on the side of caution instead of gusto.  What it'll come down to for me is can Tai just flat out 'fess up to what she wants, and how Marten feels about Tai's intended actions.  I've dated one girl who dated someone else in my social circle, but that was after he spent a month trying to hook us up, and I still was hesitant about the entire thing.  It just seems like a recipe for a lot of hurt feelings.  

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #170 on: 25 May 2011, 09:55 »

Dora can't go "I can't handle a relationship" and then hook up with Tai,

Sure she can. Why not? Hooking up isn't the same thing as a relationship, even if that's what Tai's angling for.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #171 on: 25 May 2011, 10:03 »

I think Tai either didn't fully realize that she was interested in Dora romantically (as opposed to just finding her attractive) or else she was trying to convince herself she wasn't with that whole convo on not being able to date someone Martin jizzed in.

Maybe I am weird, but I have only dated one woman who I would have been upset with a friend for dating, and that's cos we were married.  Every other girl I have been with, I'd just be glad if she made my friend happy. Just because it didn't work be tween us, doesn't mean my friend shouldn't have a chance.
@syleegrrl

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #172 on: 25 May 2011, 10:09 »

I'm not usually one to notice things like this, let alone complain about it, but the space between "cool" and the period was quite an eyesore :(

Cybit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #173 on: 25 May 2011, 10:19 »

Ah, by hooking up I meant entering a relationship, I tend to use the two interchangeably sometimes.  Even then, I'd be more then a little pissed, just because I would question the sincerity of Dora's statements at that point.  If Dora had said "hey, it doesn't work between us", that'd be one thing, but my interpretation is that Dora said "I can't date anyone because I'm too effed up".  Important detail to me in that regard.  If Dora and Marten talk about it, and Dora's does the "hey, I feel better about dating, but it'd be too hard to date you again", then it's all good, because it is being open and honest with Marten about where they currently are.      

Once again, it depends on how Marten feels.  I'm just afraid Marten will take it on the chin, rather then stand up for himself.  He might see it the same was as many folks, which is, hey, if it makes Dora happy, go for it.  But he also might be a bit hurt, and resent it a bit, and hold it in...which leads to many, many bad things. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #174 on: 25 May 2011, 10:20 »

What sort of wood should we use for the stake with which to burn Tai at after this party debacle? Pine? Oak? Cypress?

Birch. We have a LOT of excess birch tree wood up here in Northern Wisconsin for the pyre. ;)

This won't end well - but not in the way I think we expect.

We keep gaming this scenario out and Ziggy says that there's an 86% probability that Tai's going to get hurt.

Surprisingly, Dora isn't far behind with a 57% heartache rating, and Marten is only running about 13%, just slightly more than Pintsize (who has no heart)

So Dr. Beckett leaped into Marten, hey? (Ninja'd, but I don't care.)

Pizza Girl!

This proves it - she's not Penelope.    - 6 (9.4%)
Pics or it didn't happen.    - 27 (42.2%)
She doesn't look good with the new mask.    - 0 (0%)
Jeez, what kind of logo is THAT?    - 1 (1.6%)
Where can I get the "Mo' Chaucer" book?    - 9 (14.1%)
Wait - where'd her glasses come from?    - 1 (1.6%)
...and what's up with Faye's shirt?    - 6 (9.4%)
Do they have Pizza knoifes?    - 4 (6.3%)
Marigold's favorite: Beef Jerky Pizza.    - 2 (3.1%)
Pintsize probably has pictures.    - 7 (10.9%)
Wait - the door opens OUTWARD?    - 1 (1.6%)

Total Voters: 64
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 10:26 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #175 on: 25 May 2011, 10:30 »

Separate post for this one:

Anyone have suggestions for a "What's going to happen at this party?" poll?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #176 on: 25 May 2011, 10:31 »

Prediction: Dora stammers and flees, or manages to let Tai down gently. Either way, Tai is hurt. Marten, being Marten, offers comfort.
Other prediction: Something completely different will happen.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #177 on: 25 May 2011, 10:33 »

I thought is was "Pizza Avenger" not "Pizza Girl"... or am I confusing her with the "Vespa Avenger"?

I can't find where anyone answered this one.  It has always been Pizza Girl.  She has the same initials as Penelope Gaines.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #178 on: 25 May 2011, 10:41 »

We see next to none of it "on camera" - only Marten's entrance, followed by Dora's (could be reversed), their eyes meet - then cut to Monday when we get a week of Angus and Marigold discussing anime.

Because that would jsut fuel the boards for the weekend.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #179 on: 25 May 2011, 10:54 »

It makes sense to me that Tai would invite Marten. It's a college party at the college he works at and they're friends. I do wonder if she's planning on just inviting Dora or the whole group of friends. Her phrasing suggests she was going to invite Dora either way.

I always took Tai saying ages ago about how she couldn't go out with Dora if she and Marten broke up as a half-joke. Considering her reason was Marten's Happy Batter first and appreciating their friendship second.

fiery_explosion

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #180 on: 25 May 2011, 10:55 »

Tai is just one of those drama people that soak up drama like sponges, subconciously seaking it out. I know several people like this who jump from heart ache to betrayal to heart ache all the time.

I don't think she means for it to happen. It just sucks that our main heros are caught in it.

Yeah, the fact that the only two people Marten would know at the party are Tai and Dora makes it worse.

Also, potentially, Steve's ex, and his current gf. I think Colette is a Smiffer, right? So Steve could be there.

So yeah, polyhedron relationship hell.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #181 on: 25 May 2011, 11:19 »

Is it time yet for Dr. Corinne's thumbtacks and colored string?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #182 on: 25 May 2011, 11:23 »

Is it time yet for Dr. Corinne's thumbtacks and colored string?

There aren't enough pins in the world.

As for a suggestion. Dora goes to the party, ditches Tai for one of the guys at the party. Marten still oblivious.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #183 on: 25 May 2011, 11:32 »

It's a Smif party - what guys?  (well, not Marten, in this scenario, obviously!). 

Oh, and to those who say Marten doesn't know anyone there - he works in the library, so of course he knows lots of them, at least in passing.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #184 on: 25 May 2011, 11:56 »

It's a Smif party - what guys?  (well, not Marten, in this scenario, obviously!). 

Wouldn't stop guys from other colleges showing up. Especially if it is a college town.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #185 on: 25 May 2011, 12:46 »

I always felt that Dora treated Tai more like a kid sister than a flirty possible love interest. But hey who knows we never really got the 411 on Dora about Tai. Just a lot of teasing.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #186 on: 25 May 2011, 12:50 »

This.  This could be a delicious train wreck.   :evil:
It's QC. Would you expect any less?

-Waffles and Steak are the food choices for this BYOB
-JTV cancels the party
-Shame Orb crashes the party
-Dora and Marten have awkward reconciliation sex
-Shelby eats all the food

Those are my suggestions.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #187 on: 25 May 2011, 12:59 »

I think it's something  along the line of:

1) Martin is my friend.
2) IF I go to a party it would be bad manners NOT inviting him.
3) So I invite him, BUT I warn him that things might get awkward.

Now it's up to Martin to accept the awkwardness, or decline the invitation.
You may be right, but I think that's some pretty faulty logic. Where is this "law of politeness" that says you absolutely must invite every single friend you have to a party that you're going to? I don't think it's rude at all to not invite Marten, especially since he won't know anyone other than Tai and, to make things awkward, Dora. If it was a party with all of Tai's and Marten's mutual friends, it'd be different, but this is a party that Marten has no real obvious reason to be invited to. Tai could have not mentioned it and no one would have been hurt. Instead, she's creating an awkward situation because...well, because she's Tai and that's what she does, I guess.

Pretty much this.

Tia has never invited Martin to a party before, or felt that she needed to.

Why now? Especially since she obviously doesn't want to.

Sure, she has a crush on Dora, so inviting her makes sense. Martin? Unless she's planning to invite Faye, Hanners et all, that really doesn't make sense to me. Unless she's actually planning some shinanigans with Dora and planning to get Martins okay somehow (not exactly sure what the line 'exact opposite' meant myself...)

/maybe I missed something earlier.

NotForsaken

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #188 on: 25 May 2011, 13:12 »

Just an important observation, the drawing of Tai in this comic is some of the best I've see from Jeph. Really stepped it up this time

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #189 on: 25 May 2011, 13:46 »

Nothing says a College Party than a little murder and mayhem.   :-D

I think Tai is just after a 'Seal of Approval' from Dora's ex (Marten) to make her move on Dora.

It should prove interesting - or cringeworthy.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #190 on: 25 May 2011, 14:01 »

I'm not usually one to notice things like this, let alone complain about it, but the space between "cool" and the period was quite an eyesore :(

I didn't see it until you pointed it out, and now I can't unsee it.  Thanks a lot, asshole.

Just kidding, I probably won't read the current strip again after tomorrow's is posted anyway.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #191 on: 25 May 2011, 15:11 »

Sure, she has a crush on Dora, so inviting her makes sense. Martin? Unless she's planning to invite Faye, Hanners et all, that really doesn't make sense to me. Unless she's actually planning some shinanigans with Dora and planning to get Martins okay somehow (not exactly sure what the line 'exact opposite' meant myself...)

/maybe I missed something earlier.

I think the point is that she wants to invite Marten so that he'll be there when she makes her move on Dora, so that she doesn't feel she's going behind his back.  After all, you know what they say, "a friend is one who stabs you in the front."

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #192 on: 25 May 2011, 15:11 »

So I had a thought...

Faye is ostensibly Marten's friend, and vice versa.

Faye knows, for sure, that Tai wants to get with Dora. Not the details, but the intent.

Is it just me, or is it kind of Faye's responsibility to make sure Marten isn't totally unaware of this potential?

Not that she should be blabbing Tai's confessions to everybody, but this could be important. And what if she doesn't tell him, but he later finds out she knew?

That'd put most friendships on the rocks.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #193 on: 25 May 2011, 15:43 »

Is it just me, or is it kind of Faye's responsibility to make sure Marten isn't totally unaware of this potential?
It's high time Marten took some responsibility for himself, and turned his clue-engine on. The last two panels of 1933 made me want to smack him. I mean, hello, is anybody home? Body language, facial expression, tone of voice? They exist for a reason.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #194 on: 25 May 2011, 15:54 »

Or maybe the thought hadn't even crossed his mind because he really doesn't care about that and he wouldn't go ballistic like everyone seems to think he would.

I'm not saying I think that's what will happen, it's just interesting that no one's brought up the possibility of Marten sincerely not being pissed if Tai made a move on Dora. I mean, he is pretty malleable, and he seems like he's genuinely getting over her.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #195 on: 25 May 2011, 16:09 »

and he seems like he's genuinely getting over her.

And I think that would be something that would piss off a lot of people in the QC-verse, just that the idea that he has moved on, and leaving the relationship where it belongs, in the past. I think Marten is far more resiliant than a lot of people give him credit for. Yes, he has mourned the relationship. Yes, he's done the get drunk and become a bloody jerkass. But he has moved on, he isn't wallowing in self pity as much as others have done before him (We're looking at you Steve, Sven and Faye). Hell, the guy even took the first step to try and rebuild his friendship with Dora by going to C.o.D., now granted that failed, but that was a huge step for Marten.

Even when Vicki broke up with him, Marten was able to build a new life for himself, in a strange city, with no friends (well, maybe that one person that let him sleep on the couch), while some people would have gone back home to Mom or Dad. Marten is a survivor, he just isn't what some of us expect a survivor to be like.

As for his being clueless, he is either (a) really that clueless, (b) messing with Tai, (c) really hasn't thought of the possibilty of Tai going for Dora or (d) believes that Dora might actually let Tai down gently and doesn't want to discourage Tai, believeing that she might see it as him being a possessive git. People have to make their own mistakes to learn the lesson properly.

Thiefree

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mostly gone
    • Thiefree.net
« Reply #196 on: 25 May 2011, 16:20 »

I know people like Tai. She, like the rest of humanity, is just trying to do the right thing.

I doubt Tai+Dora will happen though. Dora's a bit too damaged right now; if/when she does move on it will be with somebody new and outside the current group. If she's got any sense.

And I've always got the impression that Tai's interest in Dora was very one-sided. On the other hand, this did happen...

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #197 on: 25 May 2011, 17:42 »

So I had a thought...

Faye is ostensibly Marten's friend, and vice versa.

Faye knows, for sure, that Tai wants to get with Dora. Not the details, but the intent.

Not that she should be blabbing Tai's confessions to everybody, but this could be important. And what if she doesn't tell him, but he later finds out she knew?

That'd put most friendships on the rocks.
chances are Marten is going to tell faye about the party and that Tai invited hm and that Dora will be there, and then Faye will spill the beans so to speak.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #198 on: 25 May 2011, 19:15 »

That, or more likely, Marten will realize what Tai meant, or she'll tell him, in the very first line of tomorrow's strip, and they'll talk it over like reasonable adults.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #199 on: 25 May 2011, 20:27 »

Ha, it's weird thinking of that as "a few weeks" considering in real time it was two years.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up