Poll

Is Marten a townie?

NO
Yes
He is a chill bro
No, but the Arbor Day Giraffe is
Clearly not, because townies hate waffles

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 6-10 June 2011 (1941-1945) [World War II Edition]  (Read 88381 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

So will the next week be consumed by this coffee dilemma?  Or will we see the party (or even a partay)?  Stay tuned!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WCDT 6-10 June 2011 (1941-1945) [World War II Edition]
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jun 2011, 10:08 »

What's more surprising: the cast (with Penelope) watching Goonies at 3 AM, or that Marigold had never SEEN Goonies?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2011, 12:13 »

Never saw Goonies! either.  It was a little after my time, I think.  I seem to recall it was aimed at a particular age group.  Maybe Goonies discussion should be moved to the Entertainment thread section? 

I'm more surprised that Penelope had never gotten drunk before...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jun 2011, 14:56 »

That doesn't mean she's never gotten drunk in her whole life; we only know that she doesn't drink now.

I'm a bit curious as to why  she doesn't normally drink. Actually I'm interested to know a lot more about Penelope's background; all we really know is that she has Bible-thumping parents and has had relationship troubles in the past.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 05 Jun 2011, 15:19 »

Theres a lot of reasons for someone not to drink, ranging from seeing what it did to someone to them, to just having no interest in it. Like, personally, I don't drink just because I grew up around it, my dad worked for a major distillery here for most of my life. That meant that I got to take a lot of tours of the distillery and the bottling plants, like really behind the scenes, through the labs, the actual stills and boilers, not the museum stuff at the front, so I got to see a lot of how its made (and on several occasions I showed the new guys around  :roll: ). So yeah, not a lot of mystery there for me anymore, not to mention that some of the processes, or at least the smells they produce, can really put you off.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jun 2011, 15:38 »

...Bible-thumping parents...

Well there's yer problem!

She probably had it drilled into her from an early age that alcohol is from the devil and it will make you go to hell. I'm not sure when she turned away from that path, but she may have spent most of her formative years in bible study and never developed a taste for it.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jun 2011, 15:43 »

Might also be a health thing, part of the same pattern as her gym membership.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 05 Jun 2011, 15:54 »

She probably had it drilled into her from an early age that alcohol is from the devil and it will make you go to hell. I'm not sure when she turned away from that path, but she may have spent most of her formative years in bible study and never developed a taste for it.

Kinda funny story. There's an organisation here called the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association, a teetotaler group, who could be described as slightly less uppity than prohibition groups. Anyway, they go around to schools and go to the classes, usually the 15 year olds and during the religion classes, and they ask the students to take a form and to read it, asking the students to abstain from alcohol until they're 18.

Well, they came to our class, told us about the Pledge, give us the forms and left. As soon as the door closed, the teacher turned towards us and just said "None of you are going to take that pledge, are you?"

All twenty nine of us just looked at him like he asked the most obvious question ever, and nearly deafened him with the "NO!"

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #8 on: 05 Jun 2011, 15:55 »

Besides, I don't seem to remember either the Old or the New Testament come out and say, "Don't Drink", There are a lot of stories that many of us would start off with "I was soooo wasted last night that I...." in that book.

Penny's fun when she's loaded - hope she got home safe to Bartender Wil next day.

And it's only WWII to you late to the party Americans.  The rest of the West has been in it since last Thursday, and the Chinese have been there since the Thursday before that.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2011, 16:01 by Border Reiver »
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #9 on: 05 Jun 2011, 16:03 »

With red wine, the hangover may put her right back off the stuff.  That, and she seemed to be more frustrated at her lack of control (and spelling) than any fun she may have been having. 

Of course, none of this may ever make it into the comic, either, becoming a noodle incident for us here on the boards. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #10 on: 05 Jun 2011, 16:05 »

becoming a noodle incident for us here on the boards. 

And this week's award for earliest link to TvTropes goes to.......Drumroll please.....Carl-E.

Congratulations sir for wasting half an hour of someone's time.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #11 on: 05 Jun 2011, 16:27 »

Pennelope's parents were probably from one of the anti-alcohol churches. You can find prohibitions and warnings in the Bible, but if you look at them with the ability to make distinctions, they are mostly aimed at drinking to excess.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jun 2011, 17:28 »

There will be blood.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

YourMaster

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jun 2011, 19:25 »

Eh, I don't drink.  My parents drink, nobody in my family is super bible-y (most float between agnostic apathy and very generic liberal Christian apathy), and I'm an atheist.

Some people just don't.  For me it just never really held any appeal, in the same way that I never really got into watching sports when lots of other people do.

She could be similar; she could avoid it for health reasons; it could just be a chosen character quirk (haven't we all met somebody like this http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/ ); she could be allergic; she could just find the taste of most drinks foul; and yes, it could be leftover religious stuff; she might know someone in her past that was badly alcoholic and overcompensated; she could just really hate being intoxicated and so avoid even a little.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jun 2011, 20:35 »

A drink or two once in a while is fine, but I don't see the appeal of drinking until you're sick, or getting so loaded you have no memory of the party.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jun 2011, 20:59 »

I think, what people were saying, was that a person who doesn't drink but has before, is much more common than someone who has NEVER drank. Seriously, I can't name a single person I know, even out of the people I know who don't drink, who have never drank (and are adults, I mean, I know 15 year olds who have never drank but that's different.)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jun 2011, 21:01 »

And it's only WWII to you late to the party Americans.  The rest of the West has been in it since last Thursday, and the Chinese have been there since the Thursday before that.
I'm well aware of that, my friend.  But since this week was entirely within WWII, I thought I'd mention it.  Also:
A drink or two once in a while is fine, but I don't see the appeal of drinking until you're sick, or getting so loaded you have no memory of the party.
I've had about 15 drinks tonight, and I'll have full memory of tonight's party (which I hosted, and only had about 10 of my friends over), so no worries about driving home.  My point is there's a middle ground between one drink and black out drunk.  Sure, I still have a slight buzz on, but I never got crazy.

Modifier: Also, to Norton, I drank a couple times in high school/early college but I didn't really start drinking until I could buy my own, when I turned 21.  And I really didn't start enjoying it (also the taste of different beers) until I was 22 or so (I'm almost 24 now, btw).
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2011, 21:03 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jun 2011, 21:05 »

Y'know, I intentionally didn't put up a MOTW poll because I KNEW that Raven would run away with it.

And the reason why some people don't drink is the same as why there are some people who don't eat ice cream or don't eat asparagus. They don't care for it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jun 2011, 21:10 »

But ice cream and asparagus are delicious! (So long as they are kept separate).  Either way, I meant not to criticize those who abstain from alcohol.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

akronnick

« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2011, 00:08 »

Marten senses a great disturbance in The Force...

Either that or he loves the smell of fresh rosted coffee in the morning, smells like...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jun 2011, 00:21 »

True on smell and memory...a single whiff of a particular smell can bring back a memory that you haven't thought of in years, if not decades.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jun 2011, 00:33 »

...and Padma misses the point again.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jun 2011, 00:52 »

Annnnnd MArten goes back to being the winey, mopey single guy we all remember from the first couple hundred pages.

Character regression!  :-D
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jun 2011, 00:56 »

I tend not to drink alcohol because (1) I'm perfectly capable of making bad decisions while entirely sober and (2) I don't much care for the taste of most of it.  Beer is uck, wine is sour (just give me the fresh grape juice, please)... I admit I've sampled a few nice whiskeys, but overall, I have the palate of a British teenager.  (That said, I could probably get in a lot of trouble with alcopops, had they been more common during my youth; these days, I have few RL social occasions to drink.)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jun 2011, 01:03 »

winey, mopey

Sadness and nostalgia are not the same as whiney and mopey, though; those are more to do with an unjustified feeling of being dumped on.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #25 on: 06 Jun 2011, 01:11 »

I dont drink alcohol either, never have.

Yeah we're in the midst of WW2 now ... it sneaked up on us ... *ducks*
Carpe Diem

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #26 on: 06 Jun 2011, 01:52 »

Aw, this one makes me a little sad.  I get nostalgic about some things, too, because when you're with someone for a while, they just become a part of your life, and you can't erase all of that right away.  I don't think that makes him whiny or mopey, just a regular person.  Or maybe I'm really whiny and mopey.  This is also a possibility.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #27 on: 06 Jun 2011, 02:03 »

I don't drink the same reason I don't do drugs.....it's too damn expensive. I have better things to waste my money on.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2011, 02:05 by cesariojpn »

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #28 on: 06 Jun 2011, 02:15 »

...and Padma misses the point again.

Indeed.

Her obtuseness will be cured the same day that Cosette's curse is lifted...meaning never.

:psyduck:
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #29 on: 06 Jun 2011, 02:31 »

Either that or he loves the smell of fresh rosted coffee in the morning, smells like...
Dora's secret ingredient?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

akronnick

« Reply #30 on: 06 Jun 2011, 02:39 »

Is that a euphemism?

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #31 on: 06 Jun 2011, 03:01 »

Does Marten's nostalgia mean Dora smells like coffee, or that he misses CoD? it could be a significant distinction.
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #32 on: 06 Jun 2011, 03:07 »

Is that a euphemism?

I'd love to reply with an answer, but I can't find that one strip where Dora mentions Watersports. So, i'm gonna say "THE TEARS OF BABIES."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #33 on: 06 Jun 2011, 03:13 »

Perhaps, with regard to China, you mean the Tuesday before (1937-1945 was the Second Sino-Japanese War or 抗日战争), or the Monday of the previous week (1931 was the year Japan invaded Manchuria and sporadic fighting continued until the commencement of full-scale war in 1937).

Is Padma that oblivious, or is she just dead-panning Marten?

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #34 on: 06 Jun 2011, 03:28 »

Is that a euphemism?

How does she grind the coffee? By using her personal mortar and pestle.  :evil:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2011, 03:30 by Tiogyr »

akronnick

« Reply #35 on: 06 Jun 2011, 03:43 »

I suppose that was my fault. [hangs head in shame]

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #36 on: 06 Jun 2011, 03:46 »

So rule 34 (or something like it) applies to roasting coffee, too?

Edit: I apologize for my part in taking this too far.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2011, 05:53 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #37 on: 06 Jun 2011, 04:10 »

My bad, this was supposed to be a Double Entendre but on reading it back it appears to be as subtle as a brick to the face.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2011, 05:17 by Deadlywonky »
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #38 on: 06 Jun 2011, 04:38 »

Um, let's not discuss that further or I'll find myself deleting posts, which I'd rather not.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

mike837go

• Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others
« Reply #39 on: 06 Jun 2011, 04:51 »

Awwwwww.

You spoil all our fun. :cry:

Help, can anyone explain to this Grumpy-Old-Man, Marten's shirt this week?

I recognize the old Nabisco's Oreo logo. But it has a different word in it.

What's up with that?

Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

Tiogyr

« Reply #40 on: 06 Jun 2011, 05:00 »

A quick google search says that it was some emo band from the early 90s (more fuel for the "Marten is an emo crybaby" fire, I guess).

mike837go

« Reply #41 on: 06 Jun 2011, 05:02 »

Thanks.

And once again Padma proves her differently clued status!
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #42 on: 06 Jun 2011, 05:58 »

Marten senses a great disturbance in The Force...

Victory?

Damn, I would have a really hard time if I had to pass tSB each morning, as my two favourite smells are fresh brewed coffee and freshly baked bread.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #43 on: 06 Jun 2011, 06:30 »

Oh, Padma! Your cluelessness is endearing! Poor Marten. Smell-associated memory recall is very inconvenient...

Do you suppose this week will be low-intensity, or are we going to get some major WII-level drama in? Or will nothing happen until next week, when J. Jacques may drop the Iron Curtain (QC-style) on us?

EDIT: Is it just me, or is Padma more bosomy in this strip than she normally is?
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2011, 06:48 by Black Sword »

mike837go

« Reply #44 on: 06 Jun 2011, 06:34 »

I do beleive it was a cement block to the head and a shovel through the heart.
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #45 on: 06 Jun 2011, 06:53 »

[...]

EDIT: Is it just me, or is Padma more bosomy in this strip than she normally is?
Jeph has NEVER been consistent about THAT.
Carpe Diem

crazdgamer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #46 on: 06 Jun 2011, 07:25 »

We're probably not going to see a party for a while. It's Monday in QC time and the party isn't until Friday.

Tiogyr

« Reply #47 on: 06 Jun 2011, 07:54 »

[...]

At least he isn't like certain manga artists, where the bosoms are proportionate to the character's confidence level at a given point (thinking of the Hellsing manga, specifically, though there are others).

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #48 on: 06 Jun 2011, 07:56 »

[...]

Oh yes, he is very consistent with this. That is, they consistently grow on all his characters....  :mrgreen:
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #49 on: 06 Jun 2011, 08:25 »

Except Pintsize.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up