Poll

Is Marten a townie?

NO
Yes
He is a chill bro
No, but the Arbor Day Giraffe is
Clearly not, because townies hate waffles

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 6-10 June 2011 (1941-1945) [World War II Edition]  (Read 88375 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: WCDT 6-10 June 2011 (1941-1945) [World War II Edition]
« Reply #400 on: 11 Jun 2011, 17:55 »

But we're on the internet, we're all sadistic assholes anyway... wait...

And I wouldn't say Tai was shot down, it was more like she was about to take off, only the engines failed and the plane had to be taken off the runway.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #401 on: 11 Jun 2011, 18:13 »

So many people have been walking into COD lately, trying to psych themselves up for what awaited them, that it's starting to be a trend...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #402 on: 11 Jun 2011, 18:58 »

It should be on the menu board:
Gentle let-down, $5.50; Hard landing, no damage, $5; Hard landing with damage; $4.50; Crash'n'burn, $4.

"Sadistic asshole shootdown" goes on the specials board ... With or without twitchings.

Edited for spelling, internal logic.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2011, 03:17 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #403 on: 11 Jun 2011, 19:43 »

Getting blown out the door by the pure power of Faye's scorn is still free though, right?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

TheEvilDog

« Reply #404 on: 11 Jun 2011, 19:46 »

Of course, thats half the charm of Coffee of Doom.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #405 on: 11 Jun 2011, 20:31 »

NeverQuiteGoth called it a "scorngasm", which is a wonderful coinage well worth remembering.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #406 on: 11 Jun 2011, 20:48 »

Handily skipped the  :psyduck:, so my comment would be "Dora sure is 'off with the fairies' in the first panel". That's all.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #407 on: 11 Jun 2011, 20:49 »

I def agree that she wasn't crushed. I will second the analogy of a race, seeing the checkered flag drop, pushing in the gas, and nothing happens. Failure to launch.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #408 on: 12 Jun 2011, 03:19 »

Getting blown out the door by the pure power of Faye's scorn is still free though, right?

It's the one part of the Secret Menu Faye likes.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #409 on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:03 »

Oh, what Raven did was absolutely rude.  She's kind of a rude person, really.  I like her very much, though, because she's generally a very kind-spirited person, and does stupid things out of excitement, not any desire to hurt or humiliate anyone.

I can't say I've liked Tai a whole lot.  But to be honest, I don't really like Dora, either.  Tai is oblivious to certain things, but has shown that she can read complex situations, which just makes me annoyed.  She takes things way too far (like the getting undressed/super drunk at the parties), and never seems to make any amends for her behavior.  Dora hurts people because she is unwilling to take control of her problems.  She's shown that she knows that she has problems trusting people, but she never did anything about it, hurting Marten and all of those connected to him.  That could have made a huge impact on her business, and has certainly hurt her social circle.

I think Dora and Tai getting together would be an absolute trainwreck.  Tai doesn't seem to do well without very-clearly-defined boundaries and has shown little self-restraint, would she be able/willing to turn down any advances she received?  Has she ended things with the women she was involved with?  If she could be trusted, would Dora be able to trust her?  I think that they would end up triggering a lot of each other's problems - Tai and her constant need for attention, and Dora and her lack of trust.

Dora and Jim?  I don't know enough about Jim as a character to be able to pass any judgment.  I think it's an odd choice for someone to start a business agreement and immediately move on to asking for a dinner date (?).  It suggests a level of unprofessionalism, and could really end badly - if Dora doesn't return his feelings, will this turn into an awkward goods-trade situation?  Dora may think he had ulterior motives for wanting to start a business arrangement.  It feels suspicious to me, but I am not a very trusting person, either, so I am probably way off base.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #410 on: 12 Jun 2011, 08:38 »

NeverQuiteGoth called it a "scorngasm", which is a wonderful coinage well worth remembering.

I move, if it hasn't already happened, this be added to the forum lexicon.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #411 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:23 »

Dora hurts people because she is unwilling to take control of her problems. 
Hmm...Unwilling, or unable? She told Marten that she'd tried to keep herself from having crazy reactions. On the other hand, once it was clear that she couldn't take control of her problems on her own, it was time to engage counseling, and she didn't go willingly.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

wgabrie

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #412 on: 12 Jun 2011, 16:45 »

So, comic 1945, last panel (Dora's eyes) new iris testing in the art? Cool!

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #413 on: 12 Jun 2011, 18:59 »

I am amused by the assumtion that Marten will turn into some sort of Cassanova for this party.
By Cassanova I mean the passively-wait-around-for-dominant-women-to-come-and-pick-him-up, original version.

It's  because  Marten isn't Casanova that he needs situations like this party.  Remember the girl who got up the courage to ask him out at the library?*  
This party could be that times twenty; disinhibited by recreational substances, having observed him in their native environment long enough, and finding out he's just been dumped, I can see the line forming to the left...

I used to be shy and passive like our hero.  Yay for dominant (assertive) women!  (Like his mother!  We've explored the roots of his personality 'round these parts...)

I'm rooting for this party (whatever lulz/drama Jeph has cooked up) to open the channels between Marten and the myriad dating opportunities awaiting him around his job.

* [edit] thanks, Dog, I had forgotten that. 
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2011, 19:20 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

TheEvilDog

« Reply #414 on: 12 Jun 2011, 19:03 »

Remember the girl who got up the courage to ask him out at the library?

That girl was Cosette, if you remember correctly.

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #415 on: 12 Jun 2011, 22:31 »

Hmm...Unwilling, or unable? She told Marten that she'd tried to keep herself from having crazy reactions. On the other hand, once it was clear that she couldn't take control of her problems on her own, it was time to engage counseling, and she didn't go willingly.

Yes, unable is a much better way of phrasing it.  She did try with Marten.  She just didn't succeed.  I felt like she gave up trying at the end, which was probably why I said it like I did, but that wasn't giving her enough credit.

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #416 on: 13 Jun 2011, 01:07 »

Yes, unable is a much better way of phrasing it.  She did try with Marten.  She just didn't succeed.  I felt like she gave up trying at the end, which was probably why I said it like I did, but that wasn't giving her enough credit.

She was having a rough time at the end. When you have that, you give everything up. Which reminds me, I need to go back to my damn studies...

Another reason she didn't succeed was that she does need a therapist to do that. Maybe she is unable to control it because her unconscious is unwilling to change? I daresay it's a common trait for the unconscious mind to work against change, but I would like some backup from someone who actually knows some psychology here.
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up