Poll

Is Marten a townie?

NO
Yes
He is a chill bro
No, but the Arbor Day Giraffe is
Clearly not, because townies hate waffles

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 6-10 June 2011 (1941-1945) [World War II Edition]  (Read 90682 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: WCDT 6-10 June 2011 (1941-1945) [World War II Edition]
« Reply #250 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:00 »

Yes, it does, if we guess Jim is at least 40 years old - but I don't. I'm guessing 35.
He has silver temples... I don't know many under-40s, or even under-45s who are rocking those. I'm sure it's possible, but it's not the way to bet.

One can learn from a failed marriage, you know.
I'm sure that is true. Just as one can fill an inside straight. :)   So far the only lesson we've seen Jim learn is "Hire a better lawyer".

I was mostly grey by the time I hit 40 - as was Dad before me.  My Grandpa (mother's side) was actually red with badger streaks over his ears when he passed at 88 - and the streaks were fairly new, about 10 years old at most.  Hair colour is really genetically dependant.

And that last lesson is an important one to learn in a generic sense - "Don't cheap out on the important things."
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #251 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:02 »

There is another way to represent it, though, that works for PEMDAS/BOMDAS/whatever mnemonic you use.

x / 2 + 7 = y

x = Your age
Solve for y

That's the normal formula.

So, reversing it without changing the formula at all would be...

y = Your age
Solve for x

But, I was properly accounting for PEMDAS when I reversed it, by adding virtual parentheses.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #252 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:04 »

Hair colour is really genetically dependant.

But still plenty variable.  I've been gray for 15 years, and my hair's getting on the thin side; but my brother, who is 6 years older, still has his full colour and bushy hair.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #253 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:10 »

Hair colour is really genetically dependant.

Those chemicals in the little bottles in the hair section might disagree with you :-P

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #254 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:18 »

Hhahahah totally, I had red hair back when I was very little until I was like 12 but look at my avatar... That's not red.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2011, 08:24 by Mr. Doctor »

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #255 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:19 »

There is another way to represent it, though, that works for PEMDAS/BOMDAS/whatever mnemonic you use.

x / 2 + 7 = y

x = Your age
Solve for y

That's the normal formula.

So, reversing it without changing the formula at all would be...

y = Your age
Solve for x

But, I was properly accounting for PEMDAS when I reversed it, by adding virtual parentheses.

I'd like to see you show you're work, because going by that and sticking to the rules you go like this:

x / 2 + 7 = y

Which is (x/2) + 7 = y according to the rules.

So you end up with something looking like ((x/2)*2) + 7 - 7 = (y*2) - 7 when trying to get it down to something you can use to solve for X if you have Y.

Then x + 7 - 7 = (y*2) - 7

Then you get x = (y*2) - 7

Because, according to those rules, you cannot move the parenthesis away so that the addition/subtraction is done before the multiplication/division.

But, as has been shown, the original formula doesn't work when you try to rearrange it to solve in the other direction, so the formula itself is screwed up.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2011, 08:26 by Tiogyr »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #256 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:28 »

My problem is that I don't understand why you have to stick with that rule while making a reverse formula.
This is the way I think:

x/2 +7 = y

Ok we pretend that it is like this:
(x/2) +7 = y

So... to get x = [incert something here] I do this:

(x/2) +7 -7 = y - 7
(x/2) = (y-7)
(x/2) *2 = (y-7) * 2
x = (y-7) * 2

:?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #257 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:30 »

Why is this so hard?  You can just take the original formula and rearrange it to do the opposite calculation, like so:

y = x/2 + 7
y - 7 = x/2
(y - 7)*2 = x

Nothing more complicated is required.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tiogyr

« Reply #258 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:33 »

Why is this so hard?  You can just take the original formula and rearrange it to do the opposite calculation, like so:

y = x/2 + 7
y - 7 = x/2
(y - 7)*2 = x

Nothing more complicated is required.

That is exactly what was done originally, then we got this post:

There's always the good old age/2+7 formula.
So, reversing it... if Dora's 26:
26 - 7 = 19 * 2 = 38
And if she's 28:
28 - 7 = 21 * 2 = 42

I call BOMDAS on your maths. In fact looking at the order you've done it, I can hear my old maths teacher crying in the distance.

I was just pointing out that if you're requiring BOMDAS with no exceptions, ever, the formula cannot be reversed.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #259 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:35 »

Math and internet is not a good combination for me. Same with that awful 9 or 1 question... I hate that question with all my heart.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #260 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:36 »

Well, thats another discussion I've derailed. My job is done for the day.  :-D

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #261 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:50 »

I don't get what's wrong with Paul's/Mr. Doctor's equation... (y-7)*2=x looks correct to me. Brackets first, multiplication next. I'm not sure why PEMDAS is even being brought into this, that's written correctly isn't it?

Granted, it's been ummm over 12 years since I've been in a math class, but having tested into Calc II, I'd like to think I still have SOME sort of grasp on it....

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #262 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:53 »

Math talk makes me feel dumber than usual  :-(

Also, god I hope Dora says no.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #263 on: 09 Jun 2011, 08:58 »

It's probably about the same age difference as with Tai, and unlike her, they're at about the same stage of their lives.  Also, at least until we see evidence to the contrary, he seems significantly less... flighty, which is not a quality that will mesh well with Dora's personality...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tiogyr

« Reply #264 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:00 »

I actually think it would do Dora some good to date Jim.

Not go balls out crazy and move in with him or anything, but dating wouldn't be a bad thing either.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #265 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:11 »

I just got a picture in my head of Raven and Hanners working out these equations on the specials board, maybe while Jim looks on in bemusement and Dora wears her Death Pout.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #266 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:11 »

But is Dora completely over her issues? Thats the real point. In physical therapy you never push yourself before you're ready, you end up doing more damage. Its the same here. Is Dora ready to go out with someone? Or is she going to start seeing Jim as every other guy she has gone out with? Is she going to do the same thing with Jim that she did with Marten, to start projecting her issues on him?

As it is, no, I don't think Dora should go out with Jim, even if it is just dinner. She isn't ready for even that yet, in my opinion.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #267 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:12 »

I don't get what's wrong with Paul's/Mr. Doctor's equation... (y-7)*2=x looks correct to me. Brackets first, multiplication next. I'm not sure why PEMDAS is even being brought into this, that's written correctly isn't it?

Granted, it's been ummm over 12 years since I've been in a math class, but having tested into Calc II, I'd like to think I still have SOME sort of grasp on it....
The people that brought PEMDAS into this, and believe that you can't move the parentheses around to make the equation work in reverse order clearly failed algebra.

I'm not trying to SADMEP the equation, I'm solving for the input variable, and I already have the output variable, so I need to work the entire equation in reverse - subtract 7 FIRST (instead of adding 7 last), and then divide by 2 (instead of multiplying by 2 first).

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #268 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:14 »

I just got a picture in my head of Raven and Hanners working out these equations on the specials board, maybe while Jim looks on in bemusement and Dora wears her Death Pout.

Ha!  Totally.  That would be awesome.

What if suddenly...Jim is Hannerdad?

I'm not the first to suggest this, am I?
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #269 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:20 »

Where would a famous inventor find time to run a bakery, and why would he?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #270 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:23 »

Probably between inventing bionic laser enhancements and a Clinton seeking missle. As for why? I suppose everyone likes the smell of freshly baked bread in the morning.

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #271 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:35 »

And because baking is science for hungry people!!!

HAD TO
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #272 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:37 »

But is Dora completely over her issues? Thats the real point. In physical therapy you never push yourself before you're ready, you end up doing more damage. Its the same here. Is Dora ready to go out with someone? Or is she going to start seeing Jim as every other guy she has gone out with? Is she going to do the same thing with Jim that she did with Marten, to start projecting her issues on him?

As it is, no, I don't think Dora should go out with Jim, even if it is just dinner. She isn't ready for even that yet, in my opinion.

Is anyone with psychological issues ever really over them, or do they simply learn how to cope with them? 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

TheEvilDog

« Reply #273 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:38 »

Is anyone with psychological issues ever really over them, or do they simply learn how to cope with them? 

Well, at least be able to deal with them in a rational manner then.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #274 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:43 »

I still say that even barring the age difference and psychological issues Dora has floating around.... dating a newly-forged business partner is a bad idea.

If it weren't for that, I'd say it would be really good for her to go. She needs to see that even though she kind of screwed up, she's not suddenly completely worthless. She's arguably the most mature of the bunch (or likes to believe she is) so I don't even see the age difference as being that crucial.

As it stands... don't shit where you eat, especially when you have a contract.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #275 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:46 »

I completely agree. Dora needs to spend more time figuring out what she really wants (and needs) before she even casually dates someone else. And even if she were ready, Jim?? I don't think a significantly older divorcee would be terribly good for her. I don't know. I'm kinda on the fence concerning Jim.  :|

EDIT: 4 New Replies. Goddammit
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2011, 09:50 by iduguphergrave »
- Alvin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #276 on: 09 Jun 2011, 09:57 »

An army of robot hamster bakers handle things. HannerDadLab is in the sub-basement, with a wormhole leading to Ed Bronchovsky's place over in Greenfield. A quantum tunnelling feedback effect led to the Great Oven Explosion  of '98.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #277 on: 09 Jun 2011, 10:45 »

What are the semiotics (do I mean "semantics"?) of a dinner invitation in that culture?

When I moved out where I am now I was taken aback to find that asking for a dinner date got almost the same reactions I would have imagined getting from "Drop your pants and spread your legs". I told one young lady that I liked her and her approach to life and that I'd be honored to take her out to dinner on Thursday, and shortly thereafter her brother showed up at my office door to tell me how "uncomfortable" he was with that. I figured out to ask women out to lunch instead.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tiogyr

« Reply #278 on: 09 Jun 2011, 10:50 »

Lunch is generally a better first date idea anyway, but damn, how old was she and how old were you? Because something about that story is fishy no matter where you're from.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #279 on: 09 Jun 2011, 10:51 »

Yes, it does, if we guess Jim is at least 40 years old - but I don't. I'm guessing 35.
He has silver temples... I don't know many under-40s, or even under-45s who are rocking those. I'm sure it's possible, but it's not the way to bet.

One can learn from a failed marriage, you know.
I'm sure that is true. Just as one can fill an inside straight. :)   So far the only lesson we've seen Jim learn is "Hire a better lawyer".
I think you're surprisingly judgemental about this. I know he doesnt give the impression, but we cant know for sure if the breakup was Jims fault, can we ? Sometimes it IS the fault of only one of the parties that a marriage fails. Yeah I know its rather rare and unlikely, but "in dubito pro reo" - as long as proved otherwise, we have to consider people innocent, dont we ?

I cant picture either of them doing such a thing. They're both too intelligent.

(y-7)*2=x looks correct to me.
Except its extremely dumb.

For example, a 13 year old can only date a 12 year old, who in turn can only date a 10 year old, who in turn ... LOL. And yes, some people start dating with 13 already. Quite a lot of girls do. Often older boys, not boys of their age, who are in general not ready yet.

Or: a 16 year old can only date a 18 year old. Now what the ... ??? And a 18 year old may only date a 22 year old. Where the heck do you live ???

However, a 36 year old may date a 58 year old. Which IMHO is a too large age difference in most cases. More than 16 years maximum is way too extreme for many people.

And for the record, the constellation found to be the most happy couples on average is age of woman + 6 = age of man. Dont let statistics rule your love life, though.

Math talk makes me feel dumber than usual  :-(
Even dumb math talk ? All these rules what age difference is appropiate are absurd in my ears.

The only real question is if both parties are happy in a relationship. Absolutely nothing else.
Carpe Diem

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #280 on: 09 Jun 2011, 10:58 »

26 and 25 or so. I thought it was weird too.

Dora is one year younger than Sven, who told the Pugnacious Peach recently he was 28.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2011, 16:57 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #281 on: 09 Jun 2011, 11:02 »

Snubnose - surely you don't think the equation is meant to be taken seriously... It was most likely made up by college kids, for college kids.

I'm not sure where you're getting this "may only date an X-year-old" idea. The "half your age plus 7" equation is meant to be the youngest person you should date... the "your age minus seven times two" equation is supposed to be the oldest you should date.

But again, the whole thing has always been tongue-in-cheek so it's pretty much moot anyway. Take it with a grain of salt.

Here's a handy chart I found! Just because I like graphs:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #282 on: 09 Jun 2011, 11:18 »

I love the way the chart goes up to 125 years. I think at that stage its more likely that you'd be amazed if you woke up in the morning. :laugh:

Ah, but it did make me laugh. Well done on finding it Elysiana.

Tiogyr

« Reply #283 on: 09 Jun 2011, 11:25 »

Yeah, the whole thing with the formula was that it was to be used to determine the limits, not the exact age difference you should shoot for.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #284 on: 09 Jun 2011, 11:57 »

Even dumb math talk ? All these rules what age difference is appropiate are absurd in my ears.

The discussion had nothing to do with the rule itself, just plain math :P

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #285 on: 09 Jun 2011, 12:14 »

It works until around forty, but then it starts to break down; I mean, if you see a seventy-year-old dating a forty-something, the first thought to go through your head is probably about the same as if you saw one dating a twenty-something.  And the social unacceptability of a forty-year-old dating a twenty-year-old and a twenty-five-year-old dating a sixteen-year-old aren't quite the same.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #286 on: 09 Jun 2011, 12:35 »

Well, they do say you can use maths to prove anything

Except why the Tea Party exists.   :-D

This will get more interesting when Tai finally hits on Dora.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #287 on: 09 Jun 2011, 13:19 »

Hey, just wondering, when you guys are using the formula for the younger age (since it's not relevant for older, and the original age is odd, do you round up or down?  I always round up.  For example, 23/2+7=18.5, but I consider the youngest lass I can date without it being weird is 19.  It's interesting, because as xkcd once explained, your dating pool gets bigger and bigger, because it takes two years for you to lose one year in the low end, but in that time, you gain four on the high end.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #288 on: 09 Jun 2011, 13:32 »

Huh. Jim is hitting on Dora now, Tai will hit on her friday (presumably).

Maybe what Dora needs is reassurance that she is attractive, and not just convenient?

Or, alternately, she'll feel hounded by all the people trying to get in her pants and just shut down socially. I really have no idea which is more likely.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #289 on: 09 Jun 2011, 14:09 »

Pretty bold, considering that the Tea Party is taking over the USA right now ... :|

Huh. Jim is hitting on Dora now, Tai will hit on her friday (presumably).

Maybe what Dora needs is reassurance that she is attractive, and not just convenient?

Or, alternately, she'll feel hounded by all the people trying to get in her pants and just shut down socially. I really have no idea which is more likely.
Oh come on, its Dora. Dora completely shutting down socially ? Not gonna happen. She is of low self esteem in relationships, but she is a strong person !
Carpe Diem

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #290 on: 09 Jun 2011, 14:21 »

Pretty bold, considering that the Tea Party is taking over the USA right now ... :|
There are plenty of reasons for that, none of which are as logical as maths :(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #291 on: 09 Jun 2011, 14:48 »

<snip>

As it stands... don't shit where you eat, especially when you have a contract.

If they do end up dating but then break up, it's not like Jim would have to personally deliver the baked goods.  In fact, I'd say the only reason he did is so that he could ask Dora out.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #292 on: 09 Jun 2011, 14:52 »

Or obtain the appropriate medication for them.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #293 on: 09 Jun 2011, 14:53 »

Or obtain the appropriate medication for them.
Or get to a 1930s sanitarium and jump onto the old electroshock table.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #294 on: 09 Jun 2011, 16:06 »

In fact, I'd say the only reason he did is so that he could ask Dora out.
No, this isn't the same visit as him dropping the beans off.  He just said he dropped in to "see how things are going".

Also, I know there's the "they look the same lulz", but Dora's "surprised face" looks eerily like Marten.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #295 on: 09 Jun 2011, 16:19 »

Actually, it's just the news that they're taking over.  The Illuminati are still running everything  :wink:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #296 on: 09 Jun 2011, 16:40 »

I still say that even barring the age difference and psychological issues Dora has floating around.... dating a newly-forged business partner is a bad idea.

I'd have to agree with that one.

If it weren't for that, I'd say it would be really good for her to go.

...and that one as well.

I really like this twist, cause it's the first in a while where I'm interested to see either result.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #297 on: 09 Jun 2011, 16:42 »

Actually, it's just the news that they're taking over.  The Illuminati are still running everything  :wink:

I'd prefer the Illuminati.
- Alvin

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #298 on: 09 Jun 2011, 16:44 »

If that is the case, I have one word for ya

Emigrate!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #299 on: 09 Jun 2011, 16:56 »

If that is the case, I have one word for ya

Emigrate!
If only it were that easy.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up