Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moment of the Week;

Night of the Creeping Creep.
 “Its just one full moon.”
Glooooom!
Tai isn’t the slightest bit bitter. Honest.
The EspressoSaurus Time Machine. J.Verne would be proud.
Raven Pritchard – Quantum Barista
Bros, the secret summoning spell.
Bros Bros Bros Bros
Who cares about a moment of the week? ITS JEPH’S BIRTHDAY!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 13th-17th June (1946-1950)  (Read 89494 times)

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: WCDT: 13th-17th June (1946-1950)
« Reply #50 on: 13 Jun 2011, 05:08 »

I think the Dora-bashing would mostly go away if there was any sense she felt guilty. As it is, the consequences of her actions to other people barely seem to blip occasionally, let alone factor into her future decisions.

Aside from a brief moment of crying when Faye confronted her, she's had nothing but love and sympathy from the rest of the cast (including Marten's own mother), good things keep happening to her despite her screwups, and she is, by most measures, happier now that she's dumped Marten.

That seems wrong, somehow. I don't wish a lifetime of pain and suffering, but her current situation makes me envious more than it arouses sympathy.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #51 on: 13 Jun 2011, 05:26 »

I note that Dora is comparing Jim with a revisionist view of her past:
No pussyfooting around the issue, no stupid drama.  It's a refreshing change of pace.

The way I read that, it sounds as if, in her mind, Dora is already turning the blame for the failure of her last relationship onto Marten, when actually it had been her  drama and her  setting of the pace.  I hope her therapist is good enough to be able to see through this.

That's how I read it also but going through the thread I can see in her mind how all the initial drama issues aren't there, with her having to deal with her own neuroses about Marten's feelings toward Faye. While her other problems are still there, she probably thinks because there's nothing right in her face to deal with, maybe she won't make the same mistakes. However Jim's shown himself to not have all his screws tightened with how he talked about his divorce.

She's like an alchoholic who's been sober for two months and thinks he's cured, so it's okay if he goes ahead and has that glass of scotch.

I agree with this.

I'm hoping this twists to just be Jim trying to get to know a business partner better but the way he asked doesn't suggest that.

Also on the subject of Faye giving relationship advice, just look at how far she has come. She's in the early-ish stages of a relationship, where she developed acquaintance with the guy first, they can wind each other up but also be having a genuine discussion at the same time (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1920). He's aware of her anxieties, of her anxieties (Marten filled him in moreso: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1426 which also shows he gets along with her circle of friends) and shown he's willing to help (but gets distracted by boobs: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1774), is (well, was  :-P) happy to be patient with her (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1854) and they're taking it at a relaxed pace. She's struggling a bit but she's doing well and chose to be with someone she's very compatible with. If anything, she's a great example of getting past personal issues and entering a healthy relationship.

Even if she wasn't, calling Dora on dealing with her issues is a good move.

michael28

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #52 on: 13 Jun 2011, 05:45 »

Maybe i didn't see it, but the time period between the breakup in the comic and the current strip was not that long or not? maybe 4 weeks?

Predictions:
at the party, nothing happens but another encounter of marigold with her archenemy, that guy seems to have contacts everywhere.
... eventually a little bit between marten or pintsize and raven :D

as for Dora: date, before that she walks across Marten when she's meeting Jim (if Marten doesn't get intel of that). Feeling guilty, sliping some of her flaws/problems tec. to Jim, which is still fed up from the BS of his divorce or trashtalks Marten for not putting up with her (which should have been happening at the latest in the 11XXs strips). Date ends with her paying the bill

... naturaly only if Jeph is more a god of justice to his world instead of drama  :evil:
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

kent_eh

« Reply #53 on: 13 Jun 2011, 06:17 »

Raven may have been thinking of the Baba Yaga movie.

Back when I played a lot of D&D, I always wanted to have Baba Yaga's Hut.

Isn't there some reference to some of the QC characters being D&D nerds at some point in history?

O8h7w

• Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #54 on: 13 Jun 2011, 06:20 »

Raven may have been thinking of the Baba Yaga movie.

Back when I played a lot of D&D, I always wanted to have Baba Yaga's Hut.

Isn't there some reference to some of the QC characters being D&D nerds at some point in history?

Well, Marten was, back in high school IIRC. And I think Pintsize and his friends were playing something not quite unlike D&D.
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

O8h7w

• Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #55 on: 13 Jun 2011, 06:46 »

Maybe i didn't see it, but the time period between the breakup in the comic and the current strip was not that long or not? maybe 4 weeks?

Since Marten stated that it has been weeks what I estimate to be about 2 weeks back, and the same words again somewhere early in the previous week from now, I say it's been 6 - 8 weeks since the breakup.

But I still say it hasn't been long, and the interesting point is that Dora and Marten haven't met after that.
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2011, 07:13 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #57 on: 13 Jun 2011, 07:05 »

Not to mention that Jeph regularly plays D&D, as a Dragonborn Rogue, if I remember correctly.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #58 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:01 »

I used to play D&D but its hard to find a good group of people to play with.

I think its been close to if not exceeding a month since the break up.  I would think Marten and Dora would seek closure before they started dating again but perhaps Dora is used to dating jerks that she just moves right along.  I wish we could see her therapy session before something like this goes down but I am in total agreement with Faye.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #59 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:11 »

I think its been close to if not exceeding a month since the break up.  I would think Marten and Dora would seek closure before they started dating again but perhaps Dora is used to dating jerks that she just moves right along.  I wish we could see her therapy session before something like this goes down but I am in total agreement with Faye.

You know, here's a thoughtful question. Did Marten turn into a jerk in the end of their relationship because Dora was so used to dating jerks that the nicest guy she ever dated, that she used her neurosis to subconsciously tear things down from the inside?
"Who Dares, Wins."

dps

« Reply #60 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:15 »

No, Hanners is Dracula. She's the one who wanted Marten's blood.

Actually, to complete the classic trio with the characters in this particular strip, Raven would have to be Dracula.  If Hanners or anyone else gets into the act, they'd have to be the mummy.

After it gets to a quartet, we kind of run out of first-string classic movie monsters, and have to go to the B team.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #61 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:23 »

You know, here's a thoughtful question. Did Marten turn into a jerk in the end of their relationship because Dora was so used to dating jerks that the nicest guy she ever dated, that she used her neurosis to subconsciously tear things down from the inside?

I don't think he turned into a jerk by the end of the relationship. I think its more he had reached the end of his tether, and that Marten had, for the first time in the comic, was actually incredibly angry and showing it.

And for the monster comments; Faye's Frankenstein, Dora's the werewolf, Raven's Baba Yaga, Pen-Pen is the mummy, sleep deprived Hanners is the ghoul (zombie for you ignorant types) and Cosette is Gillman (Black Lagoon, only clumsier, because, well, fish creature on land). Steve and Pintsize will probably think themselves to be the fearless Vampire Hunters while Marten is probably Jonathan Harkness while his exes can be Dracula's brides.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #62 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:27 »

No I dont think Marten turned into a jerk at all, its just that Dora is used to dating jerks and is handling this post break-up like her previous post break-ups.  Her neurosis put her on edge and made her always expect some sort of jerkery to happen.  Unknowingly she was the one doing the jerkery (then again during the break up conversation she did admit to it) and because of her neurosis she broke things up with marten.  We do not know how long she has been going to her therapist or how long since the break up exactly, but shes already "diving into the dating pool" and we have no indication on whether or not she has had any progress on her neurosis. Granted its just one date.  We will have to see how it goes.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #63 on: 13 Jun 2011, 10:36 »

I don't think he turned into a jerk by the end of the relationship. I think its more he had reached the end of his tether, and that Marten had, for the first time in the comic, was actually incredibly angry and showing it.

And for the monster comments; Faye's Frankenstein, Dora's the werewolf, Raven's Baba Yaga, Pen-Pen is the mummy, sleep deprived Hanners is the ghoul (zombie for you ignorant types) and Cosette is Gillman (Black Lagoon, only clumsier, because, well, fish creature on land). Steve and Pintsize will probably think themselves to be the fearless Vampire Hunters while Marten is probably Jonathan Harker while his exes can be Dracula's brides.

Fixed it for you. 

Late 19th Century junior lawyer/vampire slayer, very little discernable personality/some dude in the Torchwood series with an excess of personality - I can see how you get them mixed up... :lol:

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

TheEvilDog

« Reply #64 on: 13 Jun 2011, 10:47 »

Late 19th Century junior lawyer/vampire slayer, very little discernable personality/some dude in the Torchwood series with an excess of personality - I can see how you get them mixed up... :lol:

Never watched Torchwood so all I can say is "meh" and shrug my shoulders.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #65 on: 13 Jun 2011, 10:54 »

Carry on then.

I don't see our characters here as the Power Trio of Universal's monster movies - something about them just doesn't ring the "monster belle" for me.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #66 on: 13 Jun 2011, 11:30 »

I'm really disappointed in how Dora's characterization is progressing.  The personality type is not one I care for at all. 

Let's see, I can't date you (Marten) anymore because of my issues.  However, I can date this other guy (Jim) or whoever else, if they ask, because, you know, it's just a date.

That is so much bullshit, I can't begin to explain it all.  Meh, needless to say, not happy with this current story arc at all.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #67 on: 13 Jun 2011, 11:56 »

I don't particularly care for Dora's character, either, but come on. A single/first date is exactly that.

If she goes on multiple dates with Jim, then you might have some room to complain.

The only reason Marten isn't actually out dating, himself, is because he isn't attracting anyone right now being all mopy-as-fuck all the time. Dora may be deluded, but at least she's making an actual effort to move on (which is healthier than, you know, not).

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #68 on: 13 Jun 2011, 12:06 »

I don't particularly care for Dora's character, either, but come on. A single/first date is exactly that.

If she goes on multiple dates with Jim, then you might have some room to complain.

The only reason Marten isn't actually out dating, himself, is because he isn't attracting anyone right now being all mopy-as-fuck all the time. Dora may be deluded, but at least she's making an actual effort to move on (which is healthier than, you know, not).

Moving on is not necessarily dating other people, you can move on by learning to be happy and single, which I honestly think would do both Dora and Marten some good.

Dora is once again taking steps to possibly be in a relationship. It would be one thing if she were on a Sven/Hanners type of fun date, but this isn't that. Dora's problems only seem to affect her seriously when she's in a relationship. Thus getting into a relationship before she has addressed those issues isn't healthy.

buchla265

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #69 on: 13 Jun 2011, 12:38 »

While the "OMG OLDER MAN!" thing is typical for the age of the characters in QC, it is annoying.
Faye couldn't even come up with a decent reason for being creeped out.  :roll:

But hey, it's not my comic.  :wink:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #70 on: 13 Jun 2011, 13:08 »

When things started with Marten, there was "drama" in that she had Faye's feeling to contend with then and (in her mind) all throughout. I don't think she's blaming anyone, just stating the obvious.
Welcome, new person!

It's worth remembering that Marten himself admitted it was "drama" (strip 227). Dora may be frustrated still that Marten was turning down a relationship, not because he was in a real one, but because he was pining for the unattainable. She may think that Marten should have taken the initiative in strip 564.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #71 on: 13 Jun 2011, 13:35 »

Today's poll;

The dinner date...Someone will be bored.  5 (7.1%)
Dinner date will be pleasent enough, but nothing will happen.  11 (15.7%)
Nothing will happen? Pfft, yeah right!  15 (21.4%)
We won't see the date, it'll be Tai's "fun" party, minus Dora.  8 (11.4%)
Girls will fawn over Marten at the party.  8 (11.4%)
Raven will blurt out more secrets that don't concern her.  10 (14.3%)
Tai's eye will continue to twitch.  5 (7.1%)
There will be waffles...  8 (11.4%)

Total votes: 70

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #72 on: 13 Jun 2011, 13:57 »

RE: Today's poll.

When you say "Universal QC Horror Film", is that a horror film starring everyone from QC or a horror film about QC/set in the QCverse produced by Universal Studios?
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #73 on: 13 Jun 2011, 14:34 »

This question would be potentially thoughtful if it refered to at least one single example of Marten being a jerk to Dora. I can't think of any one case off the top of my head.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #74 on: 13 Jun 2011, 14:48 »

When you say "Universal QC Horror Film", is that a horror film starring everyone from QC or a horror film about QC/set in the QCverse produced by Universal Studios?

As in the "Classic Universal Monsters" QC-style, like the Lon Chaney Jr. Wolfman, Bela Lugosi Dracula, etc.

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #75 on: 13 Jun 2011, 15:05 »

As in the "Classic Universal Monsters" QC-style, like the Lon Chaney Jr. Wolfman, Bela Lugosi Dracula, etc.
Ah. That's what I thought you meant. Carry on, then.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #76 on: 13 Jun 2011, 15:07 »

I'd rather them in their Hammer incarnations tho...

More cleavage.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #77 on: 13 Jun 2011, 15:27 »

I'd rather them in their Hammer incarnations tho...

More cleavage.

I just like the fact that Grand Moff Tarkin is a monster hunter in them.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #78 on: 13 Jun 2011, 17:51 »

Odds are this first date with Dora and Jim, like most first dates, won't go anywhere. There's a good chance that Jim's issues around his divorce (something that messes many people up badly btw, I'll bet Jim's divorce is fairly recent, probably finalized less than a year ago) will come out during their date, probably in response to Dora asking a question about it. Then Dora may wisely decide she wants no part of any of that and makes it their last date.

Now if Jim manages to keep to together, or Dora decides to ignore the crazy that comes out, well, then we can start to worry...or laugh, 'cause Dora dating someone who's actually got it all together would be kinda boring. Drama, among other things, is good for laughs and generating many forum comments.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #79 on: 13 Jun 2011, 18:21 »

Never watched Torchwood so all I can say is "meh" and shrug my shoulders.

Torchwood in a nutshell.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #80 on: 13 Jun 2011, 19:06 »

I'm really disappointed in how Dora's characterization is progressing.  The personality type is not one I care for at all. 

Let's see, I can't date you (Marten) anymore because of my issues.  However, I can date this other guy (Jim) or whoever else, if they ask, because, you know, it's just a date.

I daresay that Dora is, at least by now, primarily attributing her previous breakup to its external circumstances (i.e. "too soon after Marten's pursuit of Faye played itself out") and less so on her own deeply-entrenched issues. So she doesn't see any issue in dating someone entirely different. Even though there is a risk of Dora failing to find a healthy relationship, and, on top of that, a risk of Jim's own relationship baggage triggering just the same reactions that led to her previous breakup.

Basically, she is shying away from her problems, which is a fairly human thing to do, so I'm not going to hate her for that. She's attending therapy because she was told she had to, not because of any kind of motivation on Dora's part to resolve her problems. I don't think it works that way (I daresay her therapist is aware of the situation as well).

But hey, this might all work out for the best. If this date is the start of something that ends in tears, it might lead to Dora gaining a genuine desire to sort herself out.

edit: minor clarification
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #81 on: 13 Jun 2011, 22:22 »

I note that Dora is comparing Jim with a revisionist view of her past:
No pussyfooting around the issue, no stupid drama.  It's a refreshing change of pace.

The way I read that, it sounds as if, in her mind, Dora is already turning the blame for the failure of her last relationship onto Marten...

---

Just to throw some fresh excrement into the rotary impeller...

I quite miffed that Jeph didn't choose to explore a fresh kind of relationship. Tai has been pining for Dora since BEFORE she and Marten broke up.

Hopefully, this fling with Jim will fail quickly and we can see more unique possibilites?

---

...guys, TAI is the one doing the pussyfooting. *snicker*

That statement of Dora's likely had nothing at all to do with Marten.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Cartagia

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #82 on: 13 Jun 2011, 22:39 »

I quite miffed that Jeph didn't choose to explore a fresh kind of relationship. Tai has been pining for Dora since BEFORE she and Marten broke up.

Hopefully, this fling with Jim will fail quickly and we can see more unique possibilites?

Dora, a highly independent, "in the scene," girl who has dated Alpha male goth assholes and Marten going on a date with an older, apparently well-to-do and successful business man is not unique?

Also, she didn't ask him.  He asked her.  That's not her rebounding and ignoring her issues, that is her seeing someone wholly different than anyone she has ever shown interest in (as far as we know), show interest in her.  The first thing she says on their date could very well be "I'm not really looking for anything, I just thought a date would be a nice change of pace after [THE BREAKUP]."

Also, does anyone else feel that Faye has been overstepping her bounds at work a bit too often lately?  I personally will not be surprised if she loses her job soon.  And her reaction to Jim has nothing to do with Jim.  It has to do with her knowing that Dora isn't ready for another relationship.  That, and she is a proxy for defending Marten's honor.  ("My friend isn't good enough, but this guy is?")

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 13 Jun 2011, 22:54 »

Marten... get over yourself.  Sheesh.

Tai... suck it up.  You've got a damn harem, and 200 strips ago you were talking about how you'd never date an ex of a man you knew.  You'll get over it.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2011, 23:12 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #84 on: 13 Jun 2011, 22:55 »

Damn, guess marten's not over her yet.

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #85 on: 13 Jun 2011, 22:56 »

My money's on it turning into friendship.

He'll crack first with "I thought I was ready to date again. What a fucking idiot."

Then she'll add to it, then they'll build a friendship which everyone else will miscontrue.

EDIT: poor little Marten. At least he has a partner in his pity party :(
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2011, 23:03 by hannahsaurusrex »
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Cartagia

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #86 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:04 »

Damn, guess marten's not over her yet.

Well, you can be over someone and still feel a pang of that "gloom" when you hear they are seeing someone new, be it from nostalgia or a bit of leftover jealousy.  I thought this was funny way to get the brooding over the situation out of the way.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #87 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:08 »

Dang!  :(

I can see these two getting smashed at the party
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #88 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:11 »

And the ensuing shenanigans!!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #89 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:17 »

And the ensuing shenanigans!!

doooooooooooooooooooom
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman
« Reply #90 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:28 »

Good to see Marten remains a giant wetnap who still wants his hateful bitch of a girlfriend back for... some fuckin' reason or another.

Yeah, I don't get it. Remove self from awful relationship -> Prosper. This does not work if you sit around pining for the past. Then again, this is QC, so they'll eventually get the hell back together. Because nothing unexpected can happen. Marty won't suddenly grow a pair of balls again and stay hooked up with someone else. He'll mope around and be a giant pussy and somehow defend Dora's honor with Creepy Rapey Bakery Guy tries to push her beyond her comfort zone or... whatever happens later in this story arc.

Meanwhile, Tai gets to be miserable. Remember, kids: Actually wanting to be with someone and trying to achieve this goal rarely works. I can only assume that while Dora is on her date with Mr. Lolipedo, Tai and Marten will be somewhere, drinking Depressios and bitching about Dora sucking.

Hey, I can dream.
Machiavelli once said, 'Let them hate, so long as they fear.'

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #91 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:29 »

I think the Dora-bashing would mostly go away if there was any sense she felt guilty. As it is, the consequences of her actions to other people barely seem to blip occasionally, let alone factor into her future decisions.

Aside from a brief moment of crying when Faye confronted her, she's had nothing but love and sympathy from the rest of the cast (including Marten's own mother), good things keep happening to her despite her screwups, and she is, by most measures, happier now that she's dumped Marten.

That seems wrong, somehow. I don't wish a lifetime of pain and suffering, but her current situation makes me envious more than it arouses sympathy.

What the hell. Dora has not done anything over which she needs to feel GUILTY. Not far as the breakup goes anyway.

She was turning into a shitty girlfriend to Marten due to her insecurity, and constantly going off on him for no reason. While she was still dating him, that she should have felt bad about. But she didn't do anything wrong far as the actual break-up. She didn't cheat on Marten. She didn't dump him and then immediately hook up with Steve instead. She didn't dump him out of the blue and refuse to give him any explanation. She didn't break up with him via text message, or actively tried to treat him badly so that he had to break up with her. All she did was realize that the relationship wasn't working--for either of them--and ended it.

That is not something she needs to feel "guilty" about.

Yes, her issues were what mostly lead it to not working, although with another person they may not have manifested in the same way. But once she realized the relationship wasn't working because she was taking her issues out on Marten and ended the relationship, she doesn't owe anything more to him. Once she stopped inflicting her issues on Marten, that's it. She's done. She doesn't OWE it to Marten to be in a relationship with him, or to get herself into shape until she could be in a relationship with him. Would it be nice if she got her issues resolved? Sure. But it's not something she owes anyone but herself.

I am really confused by this idea that one isn't allowed to call off a relationship that they no longer feel is satisfying, or that they should feel like a horrible person for doing so. I still feel that if anything, Dora did Marten a favor by cutting the cord, because he wasn't going to do it himself, and he would have just let things deteriorate until it was absolutely miserable for everyone.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2011, 23:30 by JackFaerie »

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #92 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:33 »

And for the monster comments; Faye's Frankenstein, Dora's the werewolf, Raven's Baba Yaga, Pen-Pen is the mummy, sleep deprived Hanners is the ghoul (zombie for you ignorant types) and Cosette is Gillman (Black Lagoon, only clumsier, because, well, fish creature on land). Steve and Pintsize will probably think themselves to be the fearless Vampire Hunters while Marten is probably Jonathan Harkness while his exes can be Dracula's brides.

Do later characters count as later monsters? Because Dale would be Candyman.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #93 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:39 »

Poor Tai.*  Someone sniped her co-worker's ex before she could.

*not really.

ZERO

• Plantmonster
« Reply #94 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:41 »

I want Marten's shirt.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #95 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:43 »

Good to see Marten remains a giant wetnap who still wants his hateful bitch of a girlfriend back for... some fuckin' reason or another.
(rant snipped)

The more unresolved bitterness and anger I see in the forum, the healthier the QC characters look.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #96 on: 13 Jun 2011, 23:44 »

The more unresolved bitterness and anger I see in the forum, the healthier the QC characters look.
Haha dont you know Einstein ? :wink: Its all relative ! :-D
Carpe Diem

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #97 on: 14 Jun 2011, 00:39 »

I think this comment deserves some sort of prize.

Excellent visual humour in the current strip. I might not ever be able to think of gloom as anything other than a purple haze again. I especially like irony of Tai's four-leafed clover shirt. A pity I didn't notice it when she actually invited Dora to her party...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #98 on: 14 Jun 2011, 00:45 »

...purple haze...

Dunn dunn ddduuuunnnnn, dunn dunn dannnuuunnnnn.
Dunn dunn ddduuuunnnnn, dduuunn dduuunnn!

I'm sorry, what where we talking about?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #99 on: 14 Jun 2011, 00:55 »

Awww, I get all sympathetic over poor Marten and Tai. But I do hope they have a got time at the party and, you know, girls will be all over 'em :-D

I know Marty´s been kind of on the lookout for other girls but hasn't really been successful. But I think it was because it was the wrong setting and all, and a party with loads of college girls might be the place to actually get some flirting done and boost the old self-esteem  :-)

Also: "Youll think of me, and wonder where I am these days
Maybe somewhere down the road when somebody plays
Purple haze"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up