THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 20:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK?

"Did you know Dora's got a date on Friday?"
- 1 (3.4%)
Some gentle advice?
- 1 (3.4%)
Being bitter isn't goinna make you feel any better
- 1 (3.4%)
Wait, that actually WORKED?
- 11 (37.9%)
"Good luck"? You're not gonna try to dissuade me?
- 0 (0%)
It's your life. Do what you want.
- 1 (3.4%)
You're being reasonable. That makes me nervous.
- 2 (6.9%)
Rockin' the little black dress!
- 1 (3.4%)
The rest of you is too distracting.
- 0 (0%)
Steady stream of compliments or I get cranky.
- 0 (0%)
He turns 41 in July (not old enough to be her dad)
- 0 (0%)
Okay, maybe a "little" bit of dirty old man.
- 4 (13.8%)
Scary Go Round Guest Strip!
- 7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 20-24 June (1951-1955)  (Read 62517 times)

michael28

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT 20-24 June (1951-1955)
« Reply #150 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:25 »

I mentioned that in another thread, that perhaps she is so used to dating D-bags and the break-ups and post break ups with them that perhaps this is how she deals with Marten and her break ups.  Get over him fast and not think about him and find someone new quickly as a rebound to help cement in her mind that it is over.
That sounds disturbing and dumb. And even more disturbing since it's a male artist (together with his significant other) who writes that stuff. I'm not much into psychology, but how common is that? There is no learning curve just repeat the same bad choices again and again.

Of course, the rules of comedy state that tomorrow will see Faye and Marten on their way to the party, talking away, while Friday sees Marten and Dora crossing paths.

Cue Monday seeing the start of the QC guest week and people raging on the forum for a week about whats going to happen.
I don't know if the rules of comedy apply to that situation. But seeing Dora in shock with Jim when she sees Faye and Marten (and viceversa) could help getting past that guest week

But I hope the artist of Something Positive has another visit in QC. I like his writing, the dark humor. I took a lot from his work helping me through some hard times
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2011, 11:44 by michael28 »
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #151 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:31 »

So, any bets on whether or not Jim and Dora will exchange "war stories" during the date?
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #152 on: 22 Jun 2011, 12:59 »

All the abuse he took from Faye, both physical and emotional, during that time, for one thing.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #153 on: 22 Jun 2011, 14:05 »

Oh come on. Faye's dad committed suicide! As a character she had it worse than Marten. Y'all need to look at more pictures of starving children.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #154 on: 22 Jun 2011, 14:13 »

So I suppose Marten deserves no sympathy at all then. Yep, Butt Monkey he definitely is.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #155 on: 22 Jun 2011, 16:06 »

I just realised who Jim is

He's Marten 20 years into the future

Ain't that a depressing thought.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2011, 20:52 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #156 on: 22 Jun 2011, 18:55 »

All the abuse he took from Faye, both physical and emotional, during that time, for one thing.

Emotional abuse?! What, saying she wanted to be his friend but not his girlfriend, and then, when he shows signs of wanting to go further, sticking to this?

(The "physical abuse" I always regarded as just being cartoon violence).

Because we all know abuse is okay when its female on male!  :roll:

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #157 on: 22 Jun 2011, 19:14 »

Emotional abuse?! What, not saying she wanted to be his friend but not his girlfriend, and then, when he shows signs of wanting to go further, sending mixed signals?
FTFY

Seriously, Faye's issues are an acceptable excuse for a lot of it, but the actual result was pretty much abusive.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #158 on: 22 Jun 2011, 20:21 »

Hope you enjoy your date, Dora, you know, after dumping Marten and all. At least you're there now, smiling.
Yeah, because dumping someone disqualifies you from going out with someone else ever again, and smiling is right out of course. :roll:

The problem is that the first poster identifies with the characters and must have some emotionial involvement with them.  Jehp has taken this from a story of Marten and those around him to a hipster slacker episode of Glee. A key point in development in a comic is when you mature certain story lines and need to take a character forward. Jeph has decided to treat Marten like later Vonegut and John Le Carre male characters, thrusting them into pathetic predictable defeat.

So the story goes from Marten and his friends where we cheer for them and their cute foibles, hoping that things turn out, to a morose turn of events for the main guy as his ex girlfried thrives while his world has an almost where every physical location he inhabits is painful (work with Tai hitting on Dora, Coffee of Doom with Dora blowing him off then dating an old perv, and My Secret Backery with said perv) and his friends all just accept the situation without support or commiseration except being told to buck up or that it would be hot if Tai and Dora got together.

If you had read this first and worked your way back, you may have accepted the Glee or contrived reality show feeling to this later story line but if you were from the beginning, you could be frustrated and betrayed by the turn of the comic. While I may not like it anymore, I am sure my 13 year old daughter would eat it up, at least until she gets a few years older.
Wow! How very patronising of you to assume that I've only recently started to follow QC. I can't remember exactly when I started reading, but I've been posting on this forum for more than two years. And anyone who feels betrayed by a comic strip (high-school drama much?) has issues of attachment they need to work on. Seriously, if you don't like QC any more, stop reading.

Edit: On rereading, I realised that I'd misread part of the post to which I was replying. Fixed.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2011, 20:26 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

reboundstudent

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #159 on: 22 Jun 2011, 20:39 »

I'm bothered with a detail in the development since the breakup. Since Martens mom meeting Dora, there was not one point where Dora showed any interest in Marten (in the comics). Wheter he is fine, or anything. Whereas Marten did ask how she is and what she's up to. OK some people force feed him that stuff like a he's a french goose with an appointment with a clever. Not that I'd think that Martens method is healthier. As I said a long time ago, that kid has got to grow some balls or he'd be the eternal punching bag.

Sound obvious, but that could be the main point in the dislike of Dora in the readership ( It sure is mine. Way to go mr. cartonist we have an antagonist :D ). The way, she dealt with the whole breakup looks very cold blooded these days.

Personally, I think it'd be pretty difficult for Dora TO ask how Marten is doing without sounding patronizing and superior, since she is the one who called it off. Perhaps she figures the best thing she can do for Marten is stay out of his way and out of his life, and that means not turning to his friends and poking her nose into his business.

Or maybe she figures he's moved on and isn't entirely ready to face that. So, she doesn't ask questions she knows she can't handle the answer to (progress?) As she's used to dating assholes, maybe she's used to seeing those assholes with new arm candy come the next morning. And frankly, Marten got hit on more while they were dating than she did... maybe it'd be just as big a surprise to her to discover she got to the first post-breakup date first.

Lastly, I don't understand why everyone is so convinced Marten is in such pain right now. Yeah he got drunk and sad immediately after the break-up. Since then, he's checked out other girls, tried to score/get further along with Secret Bakery Chick, and has generally been living life normally. Even his confession to Tai was laced with apathy. Why does he get to move on to other girls, but Dora must swear off all others until she's sure Marten's all securely paired up? In what dimension do things work that way among humans?

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #160 on: 22 Jun 2011, 20:47 »

Why does he get to move on to other girls, but Dora must swear off all others until she's sure Marten's all securely paired up? In what dimension do things work that way among humans?
A dimension in which women are less important than men, supposed to organise their lives around the needs of the all-important men, and where their primary function is seen as supporting men. I cannot imagine a dimension like that...  :angel:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #161 on: 22 Jun 2011, 21:39 »

I was asking for that one, wasn't I, Akima. -_-

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #162 on: 22 Jun 2011, 21:54 »

Quote from: Jeph's twitter feed
Script's done. The people on my forums are going to be positively CATERWAULING by the end of this week.

Why wait?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #163 on: 22 Jun 2011, 22:10 »

Spot on. Man, I still read the comic, but I don't feel any attachment to the characters anymore.
I used to feel significant emotional investment in the characters, but... that changed. I know it's not a very popular view, but I believe that several of the main characters aren't being written in a way which can be called consistent. To be more clear, I'm saying that there came a point at which I could no longer accept the current portrayal of "character x" as being the logical development of his or her own history. They became an imposter wearing the same face. This is true of several of the main characters. I believe it to have been intentional.

Why intentional? Jeph decided that he wanted the story to go in a certain way. That is his right, as the creator of the strip. It did not proceed logically from the established characters, though. Their expressed thoughts and feelings were incompatible with Jephs planned developments. No believable path of character development would take them down the paths he had planned, but he chose to ignore that in favour of telling what he thought was a good story.

Before it sounds like I'm being excessively harsh, I do appreciate that these strips were written over the course of several years, presumably without a long-term plan in mind. Jeph wants to write the storylines that seem fun at the time, and the changes are handled gracefully. It still seems like a robot was reprogrammed rather than a character changed their mind, but it is at least artfully done. I still enjoy the strips, I just find them... lacking in a certain authenticity.

It dissapoints me though. I used to really like these characters the way they were.

That's why the last few months QC hasn't been fun for me.  :-(
With all that said, QC is still enormous fun for me. It isn't as enjoyable as it once was, when I was emotionally in the moment with the characters who seemed so real, but I still get a kick out of it. It went through a bad phase immediately after the breakup, but it has quickly returned to form. In my opinion, this is the best that QC has been in a long time.

I trust that all will see the praise in my message as well as the criticism. I admit the extreme subjectivity of my views, and don't expect anyone to share them. Please note that above all, I have enjoyed the vast majority of QC. There was a specific period I thought was poor (at best) and a recurring subplot or two I found decidedly tedious, but overall I'm a big fan.

I'll even go so far as to admit that one character's reprogramming was for the better. Hannelore is a far better character since she has been re-conceived. She bears almost no relation to her original incarnation, and is all the better for it. There's no way to reconcile her earliest appearances with her current personality; in fact I would say this is the third distinct Hannelore we've seen. Each one worked in context of the storylines in which she featured.

It's pure bias that makes me view other, similar reprogrammings as distasteful. They too served the storyline, and probably worked in context for readers who did not have an emotional investiture. It is perhaps foolish to develop such investiture in webcomic characters, but when they seem so real and their situation so familiar and so poignant, my heart is not so hard as to be able to resist.

On an unreservedly positive note, Jim is quite simply delightful. He's also slightly creepy, and has a habit of placing his foot in his mouth without even realising it, but that does not detract one iota from my affection for him. In fact it adds to it. His clumsy attempts to be charming are only too familiar... I have a similar variety of inept charm.

He really should shave more often. The stubble makes him look much older, somehow.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2011, 22:17 by TheBiscuit »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #164 on: 22 Jun 2011, 23:19 »

Quote from: Jeph's twitter feed
Script's done. The people on my forums are going to be positively CATERWAULING by the end of this week.

Why wait?

Well, that's something to look forward to. The potential speculation is worthy of another poll...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #165 on: 22 Jun 2011, 23:41 »

Well, there's nothing to cause that today, anyway.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #166 on: 22 Jun 2011, 23:54 »

I like how he avoids actually saying "I'm 40".

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #167 on: 22 Jun 2011, 23:56 »

Well, there's nothing to cause that today, anyway.

You seem quite confident.   :mrgreen:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #168 on: 23 Jun 2011, 00:00 »

Well, the forum can get itself  worked up, of course - it does that from time to time.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #169 on: 23 Jun 2011, 00:14 »

"Okay, maybe I'm a LITTLE bit of a dirty old man."

Oh Jim, yes you are a dirty old man, but I think I like you! :lol:  Oh, and Jim's age? Called it.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 00:52 by Akima »

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #170 on: 23 Jun 2011, 00:36 »

Jim: Confess ulterior motive.

You are, indeed, something of a dirty old man, and yet you are charming! Actually, you remind one, perhaps, of Marten with some age and a successful business under your belt. Hm!

Dora: Dress to the nines.

You are as fine in that little black dress as you have ever looked. No wonder Jim had a compliment overflow, cause damn, girl.

Readership: Take issue with story arc.

You do so with gusto and vociferousness!

It is, of course, utterly ineffective.

Doctor: Look forward to the end of the week with a rather ugly anticipation for incoming schadenfreude.

You are a heartless monster. D:<

(jwhouk, as you asked, the format is inspired by MS Paint Adventures, mostly. It's a terrible webcomic that only awful people read! Or so the Internet has taught me.)

Fuckin' pain in the ass.

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #171 on: 23 Jun 2011, 00:43 »

One: great classic song reference in poll, recently purchased a mix of 50s songs about cigarettes, booze, and other sins, it's pretty great.

Two: as heartbroken I am about Marten and Dora, I'm really liking this. He doesn't look like her, he's not too uptight, and he's got responsibilities, that plus gray hair is winning me over a little.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #172 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:48 »

Doctor: Look forward to the end of the week with a rather ugly anticipation for incoming schadenfreude.

You are a heartless monster. D:<

Cruel, but fair. :)

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #173 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:09 »

I am intrigued.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Tanksenior

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #174 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:41 »

Of course, the rules of comedy state that tomorrow will see Faye and Marten on their way to the party, talking away, while Friday sees Marten and Dora crossing paths.

Cue Monday seeing the start of the QC guest week and people raging on the forum for a week about whats going to happen.

I will start hating the world in advance :-D

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #175 on: 23 Jun 2011, 03:23 »

You don't already?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #176 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:01 »

Like I said, why wait?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #177 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:05 »

It dissapoints me though. I used to really like these characters the way they were.

Had a similar reaction the other week, flipping through my Graduation yearbook. It's surprising how quick people can change.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #178 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:16 »

Had a similar reaction the other week, flipping through my Graduation yearbook. It's surprising how quick people can change.
I figured someone would say this. I suppose it isn't unreasonable, but I don't accept it as a natural change. :)

As I said repeatedly, it serves a purpose within the story, so... I'll accept it. Just about.

Bear in mind that the story so far of QC is only supposed to have lasted for about three years, I'd say.

Jim continues to be wonderful. :D
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 04:18 by TheBiscuit »

Tiogyr

« Reply #179 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:25 »

Jim is going to turn out to be the most well-adjusted and mature character in QC before it's over with.

That, or the thing Jeph mentioned in his twitter feed will turn out to be Jim banning Marten from tSB after the date with Dora (townie drama!).

mike837go

• Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others
« Reply #180 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:55 »

Jim is going to turn out to be the most well-adjusted and mature character in QC before it's over with.

That, or the thing Jeph mentioned in his twitter feed will turn out to be Jim banning Marten from tSB after the date with Dora (townie drama!).

Marten banned from tSB? That'll, like, totally ruin his chances with Padma!   :wink:
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #181 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:03 »

Not really - they've already met away from tSB (at the bar).

mike837go

• Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others
« Reply #182 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:32 »

Geez, can't we be silly here?  :?

That time at the bar, Padma thought Marten and Steve were a gay couple. I'm pretty sure she hasn't changed her mind.

And the couple of encounters Padma and Marten have had at tSB, she's treated him as just another customer.

The chemestry between those two is distilled water.
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

monkeyangst

• Not quite a lurker
    • Monkey Law
« Reply #183 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:39 »

I guess what with being a business owner and all, I kind of assumed Dora was herself at least 30.
Monkey Law - A webcomic for the highly evolved.

michael28

« Reply #184 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:43 »

i must say, Jim seems a nice character. A bit creepy as a male Cougar (not that I think female cougars aren't creepy). He seems to have his own problems, being divorced, a bit of a dislike for the younger generation (get of my lawn!) and a twisted sense of humor and timing. And yeah he's a bit like a older version of Marten.

Hey, a timetraveling Marten and this is all a denver-clan like dream sequence

Can't wait til this arc resolves.
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #185 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:50 »

Where do we see his dislike for the younger generation?

Though it did just occur to me that Dora is about the same age as the tSB employees. This would make Dora, like, their inappropriately young stepmom.

michael28

« Reply #186 on: 23 Jun 2011, 06:04 »

What he said about people younger than 25 just beeing kids.
- Sigmund Freud -

El_Flesh

• BANNED
  • Emoticontraindication
« Reply #187 on: 23 Jun 2011, 06:16 »

Man I'm over 40 and for me, anyone under 25 has alot more in common with teenagers -kids- than they do with the over 30 crowd.

Seems to me chix only decide what they want out of relationships after 25, too...

As for being a 'dirty old man' - well, there sure is alot more +++  going for a younger chick! Sorry, but that's just the way it is for many (not all) guys!
Before it gets denegrated by a female, let's remember many (not all!) of them they go for the $$$ older guys. As if that is somehow more acceptable!

michael28

« Reply #188 on: 23 Jun 2011, 06:22 »

Man I'm over 40 and for me, anyone under 25 has alot more in common with teenagers -kids- than they do with the over 30 crowd.

Seems to me chix only decide what they want out of relationships after 25, too...

As for being a 'dirty old man' - well, there sure is alot more +++  going for a younger chick! Sorry, but that's just the way it is for many (not all) guys!
Before it gets denegrated by a female, let's remember many (not all!) of them they go for the $$$ older guys. As if that is somehow more acceptable!

I'm 28 and when I look at the now 15-18year old I get annoyed (at the latest when they start to talk ) so I can see it ^^

$$$ means richer? on a biological scale it is more acceptable. 1000 years in the future and liberal arts colleges are still trying to remove that trait in human behaviour  :P
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 06:30 by michael28 »
- Sigmund Freud -

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #189 on: 23 Jun 2011, 06:28 »

"I've got a bad feeling about this." - Han Solo, A New Hope
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #190 on: 23 Jun 2011, 06:38 »

Awww, Jim's really growing on me. And not like a fungus...I think.

Probably doesn't help that I like somewhat-dirty old men (provided they still shower).

"I've got a bad feeling about this." - Han Solo, A New Hope

Just a bit of indigestion.  Gas-X'll clear that right up.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 06:44 by Somnus Eternus »

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #191 on: 23 Jun 2011, 06:51 »

What is confusing about the whole Dora-Jim thing is that Dora was dateless for a while before starting up with Marten, so her going out with Jim barely a month after ending things with Marten is kinda inconsistent.

As for what Jeph thinks will set the forums afire, well, my speculation is that Dora and Jim will end up getting along so well, they'll end up sharing a passionate kiss...and maybe much more. That will certainly raise the virtual roof around here.

michael28

« Reply #192 on: 23 Jun 2011, 07:09 »

I mentioned that in another thread, that perhaps she is so used to dating D-bags and the break-ups and post break ups with them that perhaps this is how she deals with Marten and her break ups.  Get over him fast and not think about him and find someone new quickly as a rebound to help cement in her mind that it is over.
That sounds disturbing and dumb. And even more disturbing since it's a male artist (together with his significant other) who writes that stuff. I'm not much into psychology, but how common is that? There is no learning curve just repeat the same bad choices again and again.

Dumb?  Really?

How about commonplace among individuals who have been in abusive or at least really crappy relationships in the past, something Sven already confirmed Dora's dealt with?  I'm not really sure how Dora's coping mechanisms (which, incidentally, she's going to therapy for) are in any way dumb.  Terrible?  Sure.  Painful?  Yep.  Dumb?  Nope.

I'd also love to know how Jeph being male and having someone has anything to do with how he writes his comic either, because you really lost me there.  :psyduck:
I know it's commonplace. But yeah, dumb. I'm not that good in tolerating self-abuse on everydays basis. How should you otherwise call someone who knows that he is making bad decisions over and over again. All the things you said are true, and much nicer than the stuff I said.

As I said before I'm a sexist and it astounds me (positively) when a male writer is able to paint a such painful vivid pictures of his female characters (i know some of them, in male and female form, except Hanners, which is sad). I like to read about every of them in this comic (even Raven, just for fun) and that doesn't happen very often to me in webcomics.

Maybe that has something to do with most webcomics mentioned in that tvtrope:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AbuseIsOkayWhenItIsFemaleOnMale
being on my feedlist.

@themacnut (the mac nut?)
confusing, moreover that bouth of them said, that they still feel something for each other. Maybe 1 month was enough for Dora to burrow that. Marten on the other hand is not as tough in that case. Which gets him some points from the readership and more abuse from the writer :) .

again, the darkspots in my soul are liking your ideas.... jeph please do dat ^^ heh, how about faye getting an early notice of that or Marten seeing the "dance of the horny sea slug" .... gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 07:37 by michael28 »
- Sigmund Freud -

someone

• BANNED
  • Not quite a lurker
« Reply #193 on: 23 Jun 2011, 07:13 »

Hope you enjoy your date, Dora, you know, after dumping Marten and all. At least you're there now, smiling.
Yeah, because dumping someone disqualifies you from going out with someone else ever again, and smiling is right out of course. :roll:

The problem is that the first poster identifies with the characters and must have some emotionial involvement with them.  Jehp has taken this from a story of Marten and those around him to a hipster slacker episode of Glee. A key point in development in a comic is when you mature certain story lines and need to take a character forward. Jeph has decided to treat Marten like later Vonegut and John Le Carre male characters, thrusting them into pathetic predictable defeat.

So the story goes from Marten and his friends where we cheer for them and their cute foibles, hoping that things turn out, to a morose turn of events for the main guy as his ex girlfried thrives while his world has an almost where every physical location he inhabits is painful (work with Tai hitting on Dora, Coffee of Doom with Dora blowing him off then dating an old perv, and My Secret Backery with said perv) and his friends all just accept the situation without support or commiseration except being told to buck up or that it would be hot if Tai and Dora got together.

If you had read this first and worked your way back, you may have accepted the Glee or contrived reality show feeling to this later story line but if you were from the beginning, you could be frustrated and betrayed by the turn of the comic. While I may not like it anymore, I am sure my 13 year old daughter would eat it up, at least until she gets a few years older.
Wow! How very patronising of you to assume that I've only recently started to follow QC. I can't remember exactly when I started reading, but I've been posting on this forum for more than two years. And anyone who feels betrayed by a comic strip (high-school drama much?) has issues of attachment they need to work on. Seriously, if you don't like QC any more, stop reading.

Edit: On rereading, I realised that I'd misread part of the post to which I was replying. Fixed.

I have actually stopped reading the comic but only posted here to see if I was the only person who was thinking the tenor of the comic had changed for the worse and seeking validation that I was not the only one who felt this way. Validation is a big part of how any human approaches the world. We like to believe our experiences and understandings are shared to some degree.

You will find that one of the big reasons we enjoy art is that it communicates to us in ways we find meaningful or helpful, even if it just provides us with a little chuckle about some people we can to which we can relate. I am surprised that you haven't covered that in English Lit yet. If you have a friend in the AP class, you can probably ask her about it. So a person can feel betrayed by a comic writier that they liked if that comic was meaningful to them. If this was not possible, no one would read it in the first place. I think that you are reading a lot into "betrayed." I don't feel like the author has personnaly done anything to me, I just think that a daily ritual for me went from 30 seconds of humor and a little identification with cute characters to bleh, I guess Jeph is struggling with character development and originality so the plot now caves in on your "high school  much" plot developmnt. This is followed by "at least I still have Girls with Slingshots and Bad Machinery. Better find a couple new good web comics."

If I or any others feel betrayed, from anoyed and a sense of loss at a nice comic gone bad to whatever else people feel such as a anger that a character with which people strongly idenitfy and for whom they cheer becoming a "butt monkey" as another poster said, it is because they could connect with the characters and got a lot out of it. It shows the comic was very successful at connetiing with people and now, for some, it is either drivel or it betrayed what they liked about it because they enjoyed its message about their world.

By the way, my comment about "if you read from the beginning" was not about how long a person had read the comic, but how someone coming in at different points may view the recent plotting. Someone, even if they started this week, who started on the first comic and read forward may have a different view than someon who jumped in recently, caught up a little but later went back and read it. The two people would see the plotting change differently. 

<moderator>Paragraph removed by moderator.</moderator>
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 11:59 by pwhodges »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #194 on: 23 Jun 2011, 07:41 »

being on my feedlist.

Got there long before you did mate.

michael28

« Reply #195 on: 23 Jun 2011, 07:53 »

being on my feedlist.

Got there long before you did mate.
Yeah I know. That's where I realized it. I looked and thought: hey I read that, and that and that oh and saw that movie and so on. And that's only the tip of the iceberg. You could fill a book the size of lotr with the sitcoms.
- Sigmund Freud -

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #196 on: 23 Jun 2011, 08:01 »

Having been in a VERY similar situation, I know how Marten feels sitting on that couch with Faye, and it really really pisses me off to see Dora on the date.

Fuck.

:x
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #197 on: 23 Jun 2011, 08:08 »

We sit here and write walls upon walls of massive text, all the while debating each and every little point and detail about the comic, right down to the author's TWITTER post.

Safe to say,

Jeph is a damn good author, to illicit so many responses.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 08:10 by grimeyville »
"Who Dares, Wins."

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #198 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:29 »

I am surprised that you haven't covered that in English Lit yet. If you have a friend in the AP class, you can probably ask her about it.

I don't mean to be too detailed here but your "high school much?" comment brought out the dad in me. That is right out of my 13 year old's playbook. Your post reminded me of the defensive and ascerbic way my 13 year old daughter gets. You have to roll with it and take deep breaths and keep trying. I am sure your parents probably feel the same way.

Akima, please tell me you're a 46-year-old man.

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #199 on: 23 Jun 2011, 10:32 »

We sit here and write walls upon walls of massive text, all the while debating each and every little point and detail about the comic, right down to the author's TWITTER post.

Safe to say,

Jeph is a damn good author, to illicit so many responses.
Welcome to Questionable Content, grimeyville. May I take your coat?

I reduced the size of 'Twitter' for politeness sake. Please do not be offended.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up