THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK?

"Did you know Dora's got a date on Friday?"
- 1 (3.4%)
Some gentle advice?
- 1 (3.4%)
Being bitter isn't goinna make you feel any better
- 1 (3.4%)
Wait, that actually WORKED?
- 11 (37.9%)
"Good luck"? You're not gonna try to dissuade me?
- 0 (0%)
It's your life. Do what you want.
- 1 (3.4%)
You're being reasonable. That makes me nervous.
- 2 (6.9%)
Rockin' the little black dress!
- 1 (3.4%)
The rest of you is too distracting.
- 0 (0%)
Steady stream of compliments or I get cranky.
- 0 (0%)
He turns 41 in July (not old enough to be her dad)
- 0 (0%)
Okay, maybe a "little" bit of dirty old man.
- 4 (13.8%)
Scary Go Round Guest Strip!
- 7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 20-24 June (1951-1955)  (Read 61780 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: WCDT 20-24 June (1951-1955)
« Reply #50 on: 20 Jun 2011, 19:45 »

I really want to say "No Woman No Cry", but I might be wrong.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #51 on: 20 Jun 2011, 20:03 »

Fixed your post. I'm pretty sure you're correct though.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2011, 22:18 »

It wasn't until you pointed out Dora's declining appearances that I realized that Marten and Dora haven't even been in the same strip once since they split up.  As far as I can tell they haven't seen each other or spoken since the break-up.

Yes they were, but it was because Dora sensed "a great disturbance in the Force" (not really).

Ok, they weren't in the same panel of a comic together. Happy?

Marten and Dora have always had a connection.
Why...do I not remember that strip?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #53 on: 20 Jun 2011, 23:04 »

To get even with Dora:

- Marten steals Cosette away from Steve

- Steve throws a fit and goes back to drinking

- Marten rationalizes that Steve's pretty much been useless as a friend to him anyway, that Cosette liked him first and that if it weren't for him, Steve would still be a mess

meh? /insert obscure unrelated comment here that'll generate an off-topic tangent of witty comments

guayec

• Plantmonster
    • the underman forever
« Reply #54 on: 20 Jun 2011, 23:23 »

GO ON YOUR STUPID #$&! DATE AND GET OVER WITH IT  :x

/faye /bitter /sorry

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #55 on: 20 Jun 2011, 23:29 »

Meh.

Cosette is pretty much the ideal girlfriend for Steve.

I really cant picture her with Marten at all.
Carpe Diem

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #56 on: 20 Jun 2011, 23:29 »

Could it be that Dora is feeling somewhat uneasy about the date and is trying to pick a fight with Faye so she can play the victim?

Is she reluctant about Jim? Is she feeling guilty?

Could it be that she feels what she's doing is hurtful and insensitive and she's trying to make herself not be the bad guy?

Could it be that she only agreed to the date because she knew that her friends would think it was a bad idea?

Oh Dora! Why won't you let yourself enjoy things for what they are?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #57 on: 20 Jun 2011, 23:44 »

Could it be that she just thinks she knows Faye (who is changing quite a lot, remember)?

Fixed your post. I'm pretty sure you're correct though.

But the inverted form of the post title "Some Woman Some Cry" does appear to be a track on an obscure Bob Marley homage album.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

michael28

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #58 on: 20 Jun 2011, 23:50 »

to paraphrase Monty Python: GET ON WITH IT! The strip has the pace of a sloth.

Could it be that Dora is feeling somewhat uneasy about the date and is trying to pick a fight with Faye so she can play the victim?

Could it be that she feels what she's doing is hurtful and insensitive and she's trying to make herself not be the bad guy?
The sick, chaotic dark spots of my souls like your ideas. May the dark gods of drama grant you more of that.  
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2011, 23:57 by michael28 »
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #59 on: 21 Jun 2011, 00:18 »

I think we all know someone IRL who is sardonic or a deadpan snarker, and the moment they start acting supportive or don't have a snippy comment for something, we start to get suspicious that something's up.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jun 2011, 00:20 »

It's a bit late to change your mind about the date now, anyway...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

akronnick

« Reply #61 on: 21 Jun 2011, 00:27 »

No it's not.

If Dora decides the date is a bad idea, all it will take is a quick phone call (it's not 1992 anymore, everyone has cell phones, so no Seinfeld type situations will happen.)

Frankly, anybody worth spending time with should understand if she wants to call it off because she's not ready after the breakup or whatever.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

michael28

« Reply #62 on: 21 Jun 2011, 00:51 »

No it's not.

If Dora decides the date is a bad idea, all it will take is a quick phone call (it's not 1992 anymore, everyone has cell phones, so no Seinfeld type situations will happen.)

Frankly, anybody worth spending time with should understand if she wants to call it off because she's not ready after the breakup or whatever.
yeah, but she got enough remarks from her social group which will ensure that her infantile self will say "now more than ever".  (+ some encouragement from Raven. I wounder the opinion of her therapist )

i still want to see a comic where the ball drops after that: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1878

I think we all know someone IRL who is sardonic or a deadpan snarker, and the moment they start acting supportive or don't have a snippy comment for something, we start to get suspicious that something's up.
Faye saying: "just get on with it" must freak the hell out of her... dropping a psycho bomb without intent shows the real master.

... somewhere out there Angus got aroused and doesn't know why.
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #63 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:21 »

[...]

You are, of course, assuming that she has Jim's mobile number.
Francisco

akronnick

« Reply #64 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:28 »

<snip>
... somewhere out there Angus got aroused and doesn't know why.

To be fair, that happens to most guys six or seven times a day, so, um, yeah...

You are, of course, assuming that she has Jim's mobile number.

Why wouldn't she. Not only is she going on a date with him, she has a business arrangement, she should have a way to reach him. Like I said, it's not 1992 anymore. Sitting alone in a restaurant for an hour waiting for someone is not fun, especially when it can be prevented with such a simple remedy.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #65 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:37 »

No it's not.

Sorry, but I think that would be kind of rude, regardless of whether he'd understand or not. Sitting alone at a restaurant may not be fun, but being stood up at the last minute when he might have been able to make other plans had she declined up front isn't much less of a downer.

It's a date, not a relationship commitment. If she's "not ready after the breakup or whatever", there's no reason why she can't say so at the commencement of the date.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

akronnick

« Reply #66 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:53 »

That may be a better option, but my point was that it's not too late for her to call it off if she wanted to.

I don't think Dora would call it off even if she did want to. I think it would be more likely for her to go on the date and talk about how fucked up her relationship with Marten was and how fucked up Sven is and how wrong everything everybody she knows does is.

In short, she'd act like an ass, and not even realize it. Just like her therapy session (at which she wasn't an asshole, that's what she's there for.)

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #67 on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:52 »

I was kinda hoping Marten would ask Faye what she was bitter about and they could have a heart-to-heart like the old friends they are. They could stand to renew their connection a bit these days. Just 'cause Angus is in the picture doesn't mean they can't be close. Marten's drunken antics notwithstanding, he's still the closest friend Faye has - as far as we know. She doesn't have that same depth of relationship with Dora, although they are definitely friends.

Honestly I wonder what Faye is bitter about. She's got a boyfling she seems to enjoy being with, they are having fun. She's getting past the worst of the issues her experiences left her with. Seems like her life isn't going badly. What'd I miss?

The only reason I can think of for her to be bitter is if the relationship with Angus isn't working out the way she wanted it to. It's possible that it could be working out on a superficial level but still not entirely satisfying her. We've all been there, right? There's nothing really wrong in the relationship, it just doesn't make you feel that chemistry.

I don't know if that's even remotely true, though.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #68 on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:55 »

I don't know man, I wouldn't be surprised if she still was kind of bitter about her father since that's completely natural and won't go away that easily.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #69 on: 21 Jun 2011, 04:23 »

I don't know man, I wouldn't be surprised if she still was kind of bitter about her father since that's completely natural and won't go away that easily.
I really don't think 'bitter' is the appropriate word for that. It is possible she was referring to that, but if so I would never have realised. I still stand by my first paragraph though; I wanted to see Marten follow up on that and attempt to talk about her feelings a bit. He's her best friend, he should show some concern. If it is the same old issues from the past, then it's no use to talk, but it could be some more recent events that she's referring to.

I do acknowledge your point though. She does have something in her life to still have negative emotions about. I just wouldn't have associated all that with the term 'bitterness'. All the current events in her life still seem to be going well though, at least unless she's got thoughts she isn't sharing.

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #70 on: 21 Jun 2011, 04:58 »

Why wouldn't she. Not only is she going on a date with him, she has a business arrangement, she should have a way to reach him. Like I said, it's not 1992 anymore. Sitting alone in a restaurant for an hour waiting for someone is not fun, especially when it can be prevented with such a simple remedy.

Not to mention that the only reason she would owe him that much courtesy would be due to the business arrangement. It's a first date, not a wedding, Dora literally does not owe Jim any consideration at all at this point outside of business.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #71 on: 21 Jun 2011, 05:46 »

Mayyyyyybeee.

I'd say "quite possibly."

Probably.

Could it be that she only agreed to the date because she knew that her friends would think it was a bad idea?
DING DING DING DING DING! We have a winnah!

Oh Dora! Why won't you let yourself enjoy things for what they are?
Because in her messed up little world, she doesn't think she deserves anything she gets enjoyment from.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #72 on: 21 Jun 2011, 05:53 »

You get an update 5 days a week. Quit complaining.

Back on topic. More and more, I kinda think that Dora loves to play the victim, or that she manipulates a situation so that others snap at her (or something similar), just so she can illicit sympathy from someone else. "Wah, they were so mean to me, wah."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #73 on: 21 Jun 2011, 06:02 »

Hm. I wonder. When Dora got into all these bad situations with boyfriends/girlfriends/whatevers in the past, who was the one she turned to, trying to garner some measure of sympathy?

I'm suspecting that it was Sven. Her first therapy session was all about him; I'd wager that the only time Sven ever really showed how he felt about Dora - showed her "love", for the lack of a better term - was when she had another relationship crash down around her.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

akronnick

« Reply #74 on: 21 Jun 2011, 06:14 »

Because in her messed up little world, she doesn't think she deserves anything she gets enjoyment from.

Wow, that sounds remarkably similar to the messed up little world I live in...

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #75 on: 21 Jun 2011, 07:30 »

Mayyyyyybeee.

DING DING DING DING DING! We have a winnah!

My goodness. Dora can't do anything normal? She probably isn't quite sure about the date, for reasons she hasn't said but which have been pointed out. And she would've been made even less sure when Faye freaked out about it after finding out. I don't see any victim play here. I see her genuinely confused about why Faye is suddenly okay with it (with an angry face on for the sake of comedy). And what evidence is there that she did this to spite her friends? Faye is the only one who thinks it's a bad idea, and I don't recall Dora ever doing something like that before.

I think it would be more likely for her to go on the date and talk about how fucked up her relationship with Marten was and how fucked up Sven is and how wrong everything everybody she knows does is.

In short, she'd act like an ass, and not even realize it. Just like her therapy session (at which she wasn't an asshole, that's what she's there for.)
I doubt she will have a total whinefest on her date with Jim. She might have issues, but she's not socially awkward.

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 21 Jun 2011, 07:47 »

My goodness. Dora can't do anything normal? She probably isn't quite sure about the date, for reasons she hasn't said but which have been pointed out. And she would've been made even less sure when Faye freaked out about it after finding out. I don't see any victim play here. I see her genuinely confused about why Faye is suddenly okay with it (with an angry face on for the sake of comedy). And what evidence is there that she did this to spite her friends? Faye is the only one who thinks it's a bad idea, and I don't recall Dora ever doing something like that before.

I doubt she will have a total whinefest on her date with Jim. She might have issues, but she's not socially awkward.

Well not spite so much but...

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1946

Feigning ignorance, I'd like to say. No one started drama but her, arguably. She pussy-footed around the issue as much as Marten did.

It’s all speculation but what if Dora just hops into bed with him on the first date. That would be entirely too fast and ridiculous but I’d find it entirely believable if they’re sitting at a restaurant, and Dora sees Marten pass by the window, but Marten is too sucked in his own thoughts to notice Dora, or Jim. He’s just thinking things over on his way to the party, words of encouragement by Faye, and so on. Rather than make one theory however, I’m gonna take a few guesses on where our little date goes. I am not sure how that party may go, besides Marten either meeting a girl, or not meeting anyone and… Being completely happy with that.

~ On Dora’s side it’s the most awkward date in history, and on Jim’s, he thinks he’s in some strange state of love and he’s finally found a woman he can really relate to. Shenanigans ensue and misunderstandings and they’re lucky if they keep the whole business deal shebangabang going.

~ Dora and Jim complain to each other about all the horrible things that happen to them. Dora may either realize that this is what she does to her friends all the time, and how much she makes herself look like a victim… Or she’ll reason that this is part of being a strong, mature adult, all that whining and complaining, reason out that she no longer needs a therapist, and continue seeing Jim.

~ Adding to that, Jim may just lavish her on with a string of compliments; say the right things about Marten whenever he’s brought up and Dora will likely get sucked into it and him.

~ Dora complains, complains, and complains, Jim just takes it in, and says this was a kind of bad idea, I thought you were mature, so on and so forth, and “that Marten guy put up with a lot from you”, and Dora feels like… Crap.

~ Things are going well, Dora decides to show up at the party with Jim and… That will just not end well no matter how you look at it.
"Who Dares, Wins."

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #77 on: 21 Jun 2011, 08:26 »

Well not spite so much but...

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1946

Feigning ignorance, I'd like to say. No one started drama but her, arguably. She pussy-footed around the issue as much as Marten did.

It’s all speculation but what if Dora just hops into bed with him on the first date. That would be entirely too fast and ridiculous but I’d find it entirely believable if they’re sitting at a restaurant, and Dora sees Marten pass by the window, but Marten is too sucked in his own thoughts to notice Dora, or Jim. He’s just thinking things over on his way to the party, words of encouragement by Faye, and so on. Rather than make one theory however, I’m gonna take a few guesses on where our little date goes. I am not sure how that party may go, besides Marten either meeting a girl, or not meeting anyone and… Being completely happy with that.

~ On Dora’s side it’s the most awkward date in history, and on Jim’s, he thinks he’s in some strange state of love and he’s finally found a woman he can really relate to. Shenanigans ensue and misunderstandings and they’re lucky if they keep the whole business deal shebangabang going.

~ Dora and Jim complain to each other about all the horrible things that happen to them. Dora may either realize that this is what she does to her friends all the time, and how much she makes herself look like a victim… Or she’ll reason that this is part of being a strong, mature adult, all that whining and complaining, reason out that she no longer needs a therapist, and continue seeing Jim.

~ Adding to that, Jim may just lavish her on with a string of compliments; say the right things about Marten whenever he’s brought up and Dora will likely get sucked into it and him.

~ Dora complains, complains, and complains, Jim just takes it in, and says this was a kind of bad idea, I thought you were mature, so on and so forth, and “that Marten guy put up with a lot from you”, and Dora feels like… Crap.

~ Things are going well, Dora decides to show up at the party with Jim and… That will just not end well no matter how you look at it.

I still think this scenario from the thread talking about it will be the best one:

I also think this answers my question about whether she feels the same about Jim. She is still thinking about him when Tai comes in, and it seems like she's kind of scared, like "What did I do?"

I think it's obvious now that it's not a business dinner. I think she likes him too... : )

We don't know. The one who said 'date' was Raven, and she is likely to say that at any given chance. Most likely is that one of the parties thinks it's a business date and one thinks it's a pleasure date, since that is the funniest setup.  :mrgreen:

Jim thinks it's all business, Dora throws herself at him only to get a "Child, please." response.

That would be the funniest thing to happen, plus it would probably help snap Dora into actually doing something to better herself on a personal level once she realized what depths she let herself sink to.

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #78 on: 21 Jun 2011, 08:28 »

So it sounds like Faye is going to the party too. That's cool. I'd like to see her and Marten hang out again. They're the original driving force of the strip and we hardly ever seem them together anymore.

seaflower

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #79 on: 21 Jun 2011, 08:54 »

Thank god there is someone sane on this forum. I agree with your post.

Dora has issues but some of the post on this forums tries to make Dora out to be an evil person. To be honest for someone who is insecure, Dora made a really bad mistake starting a relationship with Marten before the issue with him and Faye had time to heal and dealing with her own shit. An insecure person dating a passive person is never a good thing.

At least she did the smart thing and realize she was the problem and ended the relationship.  Marten's whole "let me be the emo bitch boy who does nothing and complains when things go badly" thing is just as bad as Dora's trust issues.

Faye's first reaction to Dora's date and Dora's reaction to Faye being reasonable is a good example of why really tight and define social circles can be problematic. Everyone expects you to act in a certain way and there is a lot of judgment pass on what you say and do. Faye and Dora are both being stupid.

To be honest, I'm kind of happy Dora has a date with Jim. I don't see it working out romantically but I think they could become friends. I think Dora needs someone in her life who isn't a friend of Marten's (for the moment) and/or her employee. Maybe this date with Jim will give them some emotional support they can't get from their social group.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2011, 10:25 by seaflower »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jun 2011, 09:28 »

I'm reading this strip as Faye realizing what's the point of telling Dora off for the date when she knows that won't change Dora's mind and probably just drive her further into wanting to go on the date. Maybe Faye's just not in the mood to argue right before a party so she won't be angry and drinking. Faye's expression in the third panel looks really exasperated, like she's only saying what she's saying to avoid an argument that she thinks won't have a good result for either person other than pissing each other off.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #82 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:11 »

I guess at this stage, we all realise that Marten is a type B.

You are evil. I will be reading tropes for hours now.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #83 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:34 »

Anyone else a little shocked he just jumped to Friday like that?

Also, Dora seems to fail to realize that Faye already tried to dissuade her, and she wouldn't listen, so why try again right before the date?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #84 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:43 »

Also, Dora seems to fail to realize that Faye already tried to dissuade her, and she wouldn't listen, so why try again right before the date?

I think that says it all, without actually saying she's hated on as a character.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2011, 10:44 by grimeyville »
"Who Dares, Wins."

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #85 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:45 »

I'm reading this strip as Faye realizing what's the point of telling Dora off for the date when she knows that won't change Dora's mind and probably just drive her further into wanting to go on the date. Maybe Faye's just not in the mood to argue right before a party so she won't be angry and drinking. Faye's expression in the third panel looks really exasperated, like she's only saying what she's saying to avoid an argument that she thinks won't have a good result for either person other than pissing each other off.

Essentially, this. We all have that one friend who gets written off as a lost cause. Faye's stance and body language has elements of this.

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #86 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:05 »

I also feel like Faye's frustration with Dora is biased. Sure, part of it is caring about a friend. But I think a large portion is her siding with Marten* or being annoyed that Dora broke him and now she has to pick up the pieces. Like, she just got over her drama and now she has to look after her formerly-functional friends and be the middle-man amidst the awkwardness. (That is how I would feel if I was her.)

*http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1801 as well as yesterday's comic.

P.S. How do you do the codes for hyperlinking a word?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #87 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:08 »

[url=http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1801]text here[/url]

Don't put quotes round the URL, as bad things happen to it.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2011, 11:10 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #88 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:20 »

Not really, as we never really know what day of the week it is in the comic. Tai could have asked Dora on Monday, or Wednesday. If it was earlier in the week, nothing noteworthy might have happened to warrent it being in the comic. If it was later, I know from experience that if you have a party, you rarely invite everyone that early anyway. Its usually a case of "Oh hey, party tonight at our place, you coming?"
"Sure."

What's really surprising to me is that they're having this party on a Friday, not a Thursday.

@MusicalSoul. I do my best. Thank you :P

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #89 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:23 »

Well, there's the thing, really.  This forum (and the relationship thread elsewhere) sometimes becomes a cluster of people shouting that the only healthy way to be is the way they  were brought up.  Laissez Fair, Protestant Work Ethic, or whatever in between.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #90 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:28 »

Well, there's the thing, really.  This forum (and the relationship thread elsewhere) sometimes becomes a cluster of people shouting that the only healthy way to be is the way they  were brought up.  Laissez Fair, Protestant Work Ethic, or whatever in between.

Errr, if that was directed to me and the Thursday/Friday comment, it was because the college I went to, the students would usually go home for the weekend after classes ended at one on the Friday, so Thursday night would be party night. Bars and clubs knew this so the cheapest night of the week would be Thursday.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #91 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:45 »

It wasn't directed at anyone particular, really, at present anyway - just an observation covering the last couple of years on this forum.  In fact, looking at your post again, I can't work out what prompted me to write it!  It still holds, though.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2011, 11:47 by pwhodges »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #92 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:48 »

Ah, fair enough then. I'll be off, finding some trapes with which to snare some unsuspecting victim later on then.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #93 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:49 »

It was meant to be in the "Is anyone else" thread...  I've put a copy there, where it makes sense!
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2011, 11:51 by pwhodges »

michael28

« Reply #94 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:57 »

Back on topic. More and more, I kinda think that Dora loves to play the victim, or that she manipulates a situation so that others snap at her (or something similar), just so she can illicit sympathy from someone else. "Wah, they were so mean to me, wah."

I wouldn't need to complain if.... nah forget it. First I read 1500 of the strips in about a week, and although I got used to the pace, nowadays with all the Dora/Marten/Tai  drama... i don't know. It's like the scene in the first Austin Powers Movie, where the guard is killed by a steamroller after 1 minute of intense yelling STOOOOOPPPPP!!!!

I just can't wait how that little sub-plot turns out.
- Sigmund Freud -

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #95 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:00 »

Errr, if that was directed to me and the Thursday/Friday comment, it was because the college I went to, the students would usually go home for the weekend after classes ended at one on the Friday, so Thursday night would be party night. Bars and clubs knew this so the cheapest night of the week would be Thursday.

Dude, don't you know you gotta get down on Friday?

Everyone's looking forward to the weekend.

We so excited
Fun, fun, fun, fun.
Lookin' forward to the weekend.

Also - I fully approve of Dora's shirt today -  the legend of Blood Tree lives on!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #96 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:06 »

Dude, don't you know you gotta get down on Friday?

Dude, people had to work through the weekend for rent, food money. Its a little different here in that most people rent flats/share houses. Dormatories don't really exist here. Hence, parties Thursday night! Hangovers Friday mornings! Biology and the labs were so much fun!

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #97 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:18 »

EvilDog, I am going to do exactly what you just did the next time someone makes that reference. Thank you.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #98 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:26 »

I wouldn't need to complain if.... nah forget it. First I read 1500 of the strips in about a week, and although I got used to the pace, nowadays with all the Dora/Marten/Tai  drama... i don't know. It's like the scene in the first Austin Powers Movie, where the guard is killed by a steamroller after 1 minute of intense yelling STOOOOOPPPPP!!!!

It's a common mishap with webcomics. They come in tiny bits (most of them, anyway). When a particular storyline or story arc needs extensive development, it can be somewhat frustrating to receive it in small chunks, even though it isn't an issue when archive trawling.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

michael28

« Reply #99 on: 21 Jun 2011, 13:03 »

It's a common mishap with webcomics. They come in tiny bits (most of them, anyway). When a particular storyline or story arc needs extensive development, it can be somewhat frustrating to receive it in small chunks, even though it isn't an issue when archive trawling.
/aye I say. Thank god, there are more than 1 webcomics in my feedlist ^^.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2011, 13:05 by michael28 »
- Sigmund Freud -
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up