Tai rushes out and shoves Marten aside
- 8 (9.2%)
AnthroPCs
- 9 (10.3%)
Jeph has his first day off for years, & no guest strip either
- 13 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: Independence Day Week (4 - 8 July, 1961-1965)  (Read 153963 times)

michael28

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT: Independence Day Week (4 - 8 July, 1961-1965)
« Reply #300 on: 06 Jul 2011, 15:45 »

I still don't get the CAD hate.  Aside from that stupid storyline (which I should point out was four years ago), it's a generally amusing video game comic that I'm not ashamed to admit I read thrice weekly (and who can hate the yearly Space Archaeologist sagas?)  It's not on the level of QC or xkcd, but to say it's Jersey Shore bad seems absurd.

Back on topic, the handshake leading into the hug reminded me of this (I don't think anyone mentioned that one yet, if so, sorry.)
me too.
It's not even meant to be like QC, whole other target audience, whole other basic theme.

And for fucks sake, everybody who watches Jersey Shore and all the other semi-real-life documentaries and reality shows is fully responsible for their continued existance and should be brought to justice! A whole new level should be build in hell just for those who produce that stuff.

In medival times, kings, dukes and emperors were the main financees of the arts, literature, theatre, paintings, sculptures. Our modern sense of beauty was cultivated in that time. What would a Medici or even a Hapsburger have done with those who brought something up like Jersey Shore, Big Brother or Star Search?
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #301 on: 06 Jul 2011, 16:15 »

I'm sure I'm not the first saying this, but I'm saying this anyway: She hasn't had this exact same conversation with Marten WHY?
My take: Dora sees Jim as a stronger person than Marten, perhaps as a perceived equal or better. So, relieved of the (self-imposed) burden of making decisions for two (and in her mind swapping dom-sub roles?) she gains a little silence, in which she finally HEARS the penny drop.
That's just my take.
This is not meant to be interpreted as RAWR Dora bad Marten good -- or vice versa.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #302 on: 06 Jul 2011, 16:18 »

I still don't get the CAD hate.  Aside from that stupid storyline (which I should point out was four years ago), it's a generally amusing video game comic that I'm not ashamed to admit I read thrice weekly (and who can hate the yearly Space Archaeologist sagas?)  It's not on the level of QC or xkcd, but to say it's Jersey Shore bad seems absurd.

There's also the slightly-racist comic he made a few months ago about how black people are loud in movie theaters. I've been trying to find it to put a link to it here but I guess the author did a pretty good job of making sure there's no evidence of his idiocy. If anyone can find a link so no one thinks I'm a liar that'd be great of you.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #303 on: 06 Jul 2011, 16:19 »

Why is it that I suddenly hear The Rembrandts?      :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

HeadphonesJeff

• Not quite a lurker
  • ReadMoreComics
« Reply #304 on: 06 Jul 2011, 16:49 »

I'm sure I'm not the first saying this, but I'm saying this anyway: She hasn't had this exact same conversation with Marten WHY?

Have Marten and Dora actually seen each other since they broke up? I can't recall.

Nope. I brought this up once but no one replied. Someone else finally said something below...Marten went to CoD with the intention of breaking that ice of not having seen her or visiting his old haunt, but Dora was not there. I find it odd that no one told Dora that he stopped in, that she did not care or have equal anxiety about Marten's inevitable return, or that NO ONE IN THE STRIP has yet to mention that they have not seen each other.

HeadphonesJeff

• Not quite a lurker
  • ReadMoreComics
« Reply #305 on: 06 Jul 2011, 16:52 »

On the subject of today's strip: Good for Dora! Smartest thing she's said or done since the big break-up fight. Besides going to see a therapist, I suppose...maybe this small breakthrough is because of her therapy session? In any case, I hope she means what she said and backs off dating an older man who she just went into rather serious business with.

HeadphonesJeff

• Not quite a lurker
  • ReadMoreComics
« Reply #306 on: 06 Jul 2011, 16:57 »

Just read today's comic. I feel like I'm having Flashbacks.

Yes, I though of this too. I could even see Jim WANTING to wait for Dora to be ready, but then again if he really is more mature than other QC characters then he really should not.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #307 on: 06 Jul 2011, 17:27 »

I still don't get the CAD hate.  Aside from that stupid storyline (which I should point out was four years ago), it's a generally amusing video game comic that I'm not ashamed to admit I read thrice weekly (and who can hate the yearly Space Archaeologist sagas?)  It's not on the level of QC or xkcd, but to say it's Jersey Shore bad seems absurd.

There's also the slightly-racist comic he made a few months ago about how black people are loud in movie theaters. I've been trying to find it to put a link to it here but I guess the author did a pretty good job of making sure there's no evidence of his idiocy. If anyone can find a link so no one thinks I'm a liar that'd be great of you.
Eh, I read it more as joking about the stereotype than confirming it.  I will confirm the comic's existence, though, I just don't feel like looking for it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #308 on: 06 Jul 2011, 17:28 »

quoted from This Post:
Quote from: Fatty
Double posting - when you post twice in a row - is not popular. The edit button is a great way of adding in things you missed.
Normally this doesn't bother me, and I'm fairly new as well, but since 3 of your first 4 posts are right here in a row in fairly quick succession, I thought it worth mentioning. The rest of that post is full of good information as well.

Now to the comic:
Dora's expression in panel three is one of the most adorable things about this one I think. The hug is cute, but I see that look in three and get a lot of subtext like "I really hope he's serious, but he probably isn't, and I probably shouldn't hope that he is anyway, but I was having such a good time..." and she just looks so helpless, like a little lost puppy. Also, the stutter helps with this.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #309 on: 06 Jul 2011, 17:50 »

I don't get the Jersey Shore hate. Aside from that one punch in the face, it's a generally amusing show that I'm not ashamed to admit I watch weekly (and who can hate the yearly Snooki does Belly Shots sagas?) It's not on the level of Road Rules or Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, but to say it's Ctrl-Alt-Del bad seems absurd.
Touché...I probably should've made my point without bringing up Jersey Shore, since I haven't actually watched it.  I just hate it because I'm from New Jersey.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #310 on: 06 Jul 2011, 17:59 »

Why is it that I suddenly hear The Rembrandts?      :-D

Because you were born before a certain year. And because implanting a song into your head is easier than sticking a crystal into your hand that changes colours when you hit a certain age (And only slightly more painful). Better be careful, Michael York is coming after you!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #311 on: 06 Jul 2011, 19:39 »

Sorry to disappoint, but Box got 'im first this time.    :-P
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ChaoKuang

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #312 on: 06 Jul 2011, 20:21 »

Mini-realization: Dora has Marten to thank for the amazing pastries and meeting Jim, as without the break-up and subsequent awkwardness, Marten never would have found the coffee shop and have gotten Hannelore and such there.
(Even though, you know, the coffee shop is a butt and Padme is also a butt, according to Hanners. :D )

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #313 on: 06 Jul 2011, 21:14 »

Here's the comic. However, if you read the newspost under the comic, he posts the original and says this:

Quote from: Tim
I agonized the entire day about what to do with the script for today's comic. On the one hand, I felt the joke was funny, and ultimately harmless. But on the other hand, clearly any jab at a racial stereotype, no matter how playfully intended, is going to be a touchy topic for many people.

Allow me to first state that there was absolutely zero intention to offend anyone with today's comic. There was no ill-will, malicious agenda, or racism involved with arriving at the script for the comic. I am about as far from racist as a person can be.

I didn't think it was racist. I thought it was rather amusing, because I'm aware of the stereotype (and know enough black people who aren't loud in movies), so I saw it as poking fun at the whole thing.

Aaaaaaanyway...Jim is pretty awesome. Glad to see people start to respect him as a character. :-)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #314 on: 06 Jul 2011, 23:10 »

he posts the original

Well, well; I didn't even know that Opera had a built-in list of pages to be blocked until I clicked that link!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #315 on: 06 Jul 2011, 23:54 »

Mini-realization: Dora has Marten to thank for the amazing pastries and meeting Jim, as without the break-up and subsequent awkwardness, Marten never would have found the coffee shop and have gotten Hannelore and such there.
(Even though, you know, the coffee shop is a butt and Padme is also a butt, according to Hanners. :D )

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Faye and consequently Dora found The Secret Bakery without Marten's help, since Faye was introduced to Padma by Angus.

On the other hand, Hannelore did accompany Faye to The Secret Bakery, so maybe it was her idea which she got when she went there with Marten?

I doubt that Dora actually knows the connection between Marten and The Secret Bakery yet. In fact, it's sort of dubious as to whether Faye does as well, depending on whether Hannelore has told her yet.

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #316 on: 07 Jul 2011, 00:32 »

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Faye and consequently Dora found The Secret Bakery without Marten's help, since Faye was introduced to Padma by Angus.

On the other hand, Hannelore did accompany Faye to The Secret Bakery, so maybe it was her idea which she got when she went there with Marten?

I doubt that Dora actually knows the connection between Marten and The Secret Bakery yet. In fact, it's sort of dubious as to whether Faye does as well, depending on whether Hannelore has told her yet.

Ah, BUT...if Marten hadn't gone to tSB, Jeph (probably) wouldn't have had the idea to incorporate them into the plot; ergo, Marten is to thank for Jim's existance.

mary tyler murder

• Plantmonster
  • lights up the world with her
« Reply #317 on: 07 Jul 2011, 00:50 »

I didn't think it was racist. I thought it was rather amusing, because I'm aware of the stereotype (and know enough black people who aren't loud in movies), so I saw it as poking fun at the whole thing.

Yeah, the usual way to poke fun at racist stereotypes is to repeat them uncritically.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 00:55 by mary tyler murder »

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #318 on: 07 Jul 2011, 00:53 »

Quote from: Jeph's Twitter
This may be the first strip I've never even written a script for; the past couple months of comics have written it already.

This is gonna be good!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #319 on: 07 Jul 2011, 01:03 »

Hmm.  I sense caterwauling...  Jeph must have had a reason for predicting it, and the date didn't justify that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #320 on: 07 Jul 2011, 01:07 »

D'awww moment with a shock announcement?

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #321 on: 07 Jul 2011, 01:22 »

Yeah, the usual way to poke fun at racist stereotypes is to repeat them uncritically.

I see what you did thar. >.>

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #322 on: 07 Jul 2011, 01:29 »

I still don't get the CAD hate.

Still don't get it either, the explanations  that people have told me aren't enough tbh. Seen worse, read worse.

Edit: We should stop posting about CAD here though :P
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 01:49 by Mr. Doctor »

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #323 on: 07 Jul 2011, 01:43 »

My question is whether he generated as much heat as Dora did when that happened, and if not, why not?
Steve is generally goofy, which makes him less painful to watch when he's got this kind of burst. Plus, unlike Dora, he actually lets people answer to his remarks instead of cutting them mid-sentence.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #324 on: 07 Jul 2011, 01:50 »

Ah, BUT...if Marten hadn't gone to tSB, Jeph (probably) wouldn't have had the idea to incorporate them into the plot; ergo, Marten is to thank for Jim's existance.

True, although it was established that Angus already knew about the Secret Bakery because (as we're meant to assume) he went out with Renée.
Plus I think that if anyone confronted Dora with that logic, she'd just blink and go "Huh? Who the hell is Jeph?" :P

And I'm thinking not a shock announcement, cause it sounds from Jeph's tweet like this is one of those things that he's been building up to for a while.
All speculation of course, but...

amandathehunter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #326 on: 07 Jul 2011, 02:14 »

I'm going to throw out some wild suggestions!

1) Hannelore/Marigold In Lesbians with each other! (for real this time)

2) Faye referring to Angus as her boyfriend!

3) Hannelore/Marten sloppy Makeouts!

4) Faye/Marten sloppy Makeouts!

5) PINTSIZE!

Of course none of these will come true not that I have mentioned them!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #327 on: 07 Jul 2011, 02:18 »

Please read the sticky thread "Conduct in this forum" again before making any more posts like that. 

And I note that in U-stream someone (I can't remember if it was you) asked a little while ago if Jeph reads the chat at the side - the answer is yes, sometimes, and sometimes he bans people from it if they make posts that fall outside his tolerance zone.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 02:19 by pwhodges »

westrim

« Reply #328 on: 07 Jul 2011, 02:27 »

Which kind of bugs me, since as far as the shippers goes his/y'all moderators tolerance attitude basically seems to be "don't ship them unless I'm shipping them." I still remember the great Hannelore/Marigold debacle, which led to a comic devoted to crushing the idea (that clearly still festers, as shown above). Just because shippers get overexcited doesn't mean they should be censured or the pairings they prefer off-limits to mention.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 02:39 by westrim »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #329 on: 07 Jul 2011, 02:35 »

What he dislikes is not so much the shipping per se  (though much of it defies any kind of internal logic in the story), but the obsession that goes with most of it.  But this has all been discussed in the linked thread, and including contributions from Jeph; what I do is apply the rules as I understand them, hopefully in a manner that will keep Jeph's hate for this place from crushing it.

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #330 on: 07 Jul 2011, 02:40 »

And for fucks sake, everybody who watches Jersey Shore and all the other semi-real-life documentaries and reality shows is fully responsible for their continued existance and should be brought to justice! A whole new level should be build in hell just for those who produce that stuff.

In medival times, kings, dukes and emperors were the main financees of the arts, literature, theatre, paintings, sculptures. Our modern sense of beauty was cultivated in that time. What would a Medici or even a Hapsburger have done with those who brought something up like Jersey Shore, Big Brother or Star Search?

Uhm, gross, because Medieval art was shit. It was all flat gold leaf and Jesus. A Medici (now we're talking Renaissance, but I still find it overstated) or a Hapsburger would likely have done the same with Van Gogh, George Segal, Picasso and also burned Jackson Pollock alive. For Jersey Shore, I say the artwork is as good as the viewer. If you held an event that brought together the world's snobbiest snobs, and called it modern art, they would damn well find the meaning in it.

MamiyaOtaru

• Plantmonster
« Reply #331 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:04 »

Just read today's comic. I feel like I'm having Flashbacks.
Soon, Jim will find himself in a relationship with another girl, only to have her eventually dump him, but by then Dora will have gone through a short sexual fling with one guy and ended up seeing another.

westrim

« Reply #332 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:04 »

What he dislikes is not so much the shipping per se  (though much of it defies any kind of internal logic in the story), but the obsession that goes with most of it.  But this has all been discussed in the linked thread, and including contributions from Jeph; what I do is apply the rules as I understand them, hopefully in a manner that will keep Jeph's hate for this place from crushing it.
Which makes me feel like we're at the mercy of a fickle and occasionally very drunk god (and the mods are the priests trying to interpret His will), which is why I became an agnostic in the first place. With all true respect to said deity, if He hates this particular creation of His He should either leave it alone completely or just delete it from existence, not rage when he comes along and, yup, those damn humans aren't following His will again, leading to somewhat random death and great floods (okay, bans and thread locks).

I don't mind there being a code of conduct, of course. I just wish it wasn't based on the will of someone who, the last two times I saw contact from them on this board (albeit that was last November), was drunk and random and generally being a dick. *Ducks tomato* he was, that picture thread he made was not worksafe and he was c/rude to anyone that posted in it, including editing their comments to be self-deprecating. If he wants to be hands off and let the mods take care of things, then he should actually do that.

But I'm repeating a lot of what was said on the conduct thread (wish I had read it before, it was interesting), and he hasn't been around in months to my knowledge, so my thoughts are largely already in practice. I still feel like we're cowering in case he drops by and flips out that someone mentioned Hannelore, Marigold, and lesbians in the same sentence, rather than because that's actually detrimental to the atmosphere.

*Glances at signature*
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 03:10 by westrim »

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #333 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:17 »

Which makes me feel like we're at the mercy of a fickle and occasionally very drunk god (and the mods are the priests trying to interpret His will), which is why I became an agnostic in the first place. With all true respect to said deity, if He hates this particular creation of His He should either leave it alone completely or just delete it from existence, not rage when he comes along and, yup, those damn humans aren't following His will again, leading to somewhat random death and great floods (okay, bans and thread locks).

I don't mind there being a code of conduct, of course. I just wish it wasn't based on the will of someone who, the last two times I saw contact from them on this board (albeit that was last November), was drunk and random and generally being a dick. *Ducks tomato* he was, that picture thread he made was not worksafe and he was c/rude to anyone that posted in it, including editing their comments to be self-deprecating. If he wants to be hands off and let the mods take care of things, then he should actually do that.

But I'm repeating a lot of what was said on the conduct thread (wish I had read it before, it was interesting), and he hasn't been around in months to my knowledge, so my thoughts are largely already in practice. I still feel like we're cowering in case he drops by and flips out that someone mentioned Hannelore, Marigold, and lesbians in the same sentence, rather than because that's actually detrimental to the atmosphere.

*Glances at signature*

He's showed up once since then to ban someone for making posts very similar to what you're making here, so yeah, you may want to drop it (insofar as that person saying Jeph should either let people freely express their opinions or delete the forums altogether because they serve no purpose if they're so heavily censored that nobody can post about the comic unless they agree with the author).

I still don't get the CAD hate.

Still don't get it either, the explanations  that people have told me aren't enough tbh. Seen worse, read worse.

Edit: We should stop posting about CAD here though :P

Because Buckley can't draw for shit (his female characters have bigger groin bulges than his male characters, what's up with that? Also, nobody has hair, they have birds resting on their heads.), his comics are terrible and unfunny, and he's also an abusive dick to everyone he knows "in real life" and every other webcomic author that has met him in person can confirm this.

The only good thing to come out of CAD are the mockery pages in the comic sub-forum of SA (which also resulted in the Zalgo meme).
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 03:19 by Tiogyr »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #334 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:19 »

Or see it from the perspective that these characters are Jeph's creation, and with that comes a disgust when someone makes a comment along the lines of "Hanners and Marigold come out as lesbians and have been since they met."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #335 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:20 »

somewhat random death and great floods (okay, bans and thread locks)

Not many threads get locked, and the reason is usually quite clear.  Often it's trivial, like avoiding a duplicated discussion (if it's still possible, I prefer to merge threads when this happens, but sometimes the result would be unreadable).

that picture thread he made was not worksafe and he was c/rude to anyone that posted in it, including editing their comments

Yeah, I hated it when he did that.

But I'm repeating a lot of what was said on the conduct thread (wish I had read it before, it was interesting)

That's what it's for...   And he posted here only a few weeks ago, when he banned a user - the only ban of a normal contributor since before the breakup last autumn.

westrim

« Reply #336 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:25 »

He's showed up once since then to ban someone for making posts very similar to what you're making here, so yeah, you may want to drop it.
I was finishing with that last post, so I kind of already dropped it. Do you have linkage to this event? And similar in what way?

EDIT: Apparently it happened a few weeks ago, but might I get pointed to the right thread?

Or see it from the perspective that these characters are Jeph's creation, and with that comes a disgust when someone makes a comment along the lines of "Hanners and Marigold come out as lesbians and have been since they met."
Shoot, I'm trying to drop this people. But I feel I must say that considering the number of romantic relationships in this comic and the unforeseeability of some of them (say, Faye and Sven), people are naturally going to be looking for or inventing their own wacky pairing, trying to predict what's next. There have been many polls to that effect. That there are some pairings he dislikes and some of the supporters of those pairings get exuberant is not by the general tone of this forum enough grounds for banning them or deleting their posts, both of which I have seen, though not recently. Especially since one of those pairings did have a "opposites attract" vibe that made it appealing to some despite it's crackiness. They're his creation, its our interpretation.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 03:38 by westrim »

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #337 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:27 »

Where´s my comiiiiiic?

Gah.. I´m hooked through the bag  :|

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #338 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:27 »

the last two times I saw contact from them on this board

Ah, now, correct me if I'm wrong, but last November would have contained the week of the breakup, wouldn't it?
I don't think Jeph's actions were entirely unrelated to that...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #339 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:31 »

can I least get pointed to the right thread?

Here.  And Tiogyr's analysis of the reason is not quite right; the poster was being rude and personal.  As it happens, Jeph appeared (as far as I can tell) in response to a post being reported; coincidentally, the mods were discussing a ban, but it happened before they got there!

Where´s my comiiiiiic?

He's on the last frame (after 3 1/2 hours); all new fiddly backgrounds, lots of perspective to work out, varied poses.  The text will be the thing in this one - I can't tell from the pictures what it will contain (or maybe I can, actually).
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 03:45 by pwhodges »

westrim

« Reply #340 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:49 »

Ah, now, correct me if I'm wrong, but last November would have contained the week of the breakup, wouldn't it?
I don't think Jeph's actions were entirely unrelated to that...
It was extremely related to that, yes. But he still made the choices he made, some of them not appropriate and some downright offputting.

can I least get pointed to the right thread?
Here.  And Tiogyr's analysis of the reason is not quite right; the poster was being rude and personal.  As it happens, Jeph appeared (as far as I can tell) in response to a post being reported; coincidentally, the mods were discussing a ban, but it happened before they got there!
Thanks. So that explains why I haven't seen anything from Odin lately. The immediate post doesn't seem especially permaban worthy (more take a week and cool off worthy), but I'm working my way backwards (EDIT: and seeing that most of it isn't there...) and yeah, being openly contemptuous of your fellow forumgoers and optimism reeks of dickishness. But did he at least get a warning first? That's what I get paranoid about, that someday I'll try to log on and... can't.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #341 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:55 »

But did he at least get a warning first? That's what I get paranoid about, that someday I'll try to log on and... can't.

Not from Jeph, I'd guess, but he'd had multiple warnings from me, starting way back in December, and including one earlier that day.  On my watch, only spammers get banned without warning, which is entirely different.  When people (like Odin) have intelligent and useful contributions to make, I prefer to try to persuade them to keep within the rules so that we can keep them around.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #342 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:57 »

He's on the last frame (after 3 1/2 hours); all new fiddly backgrounds, lots of perspective to work out, varied poses.  The text will be the thing in this one - I can't tell from the pictures what it will contain (or maybe I can, actually).

Heh. Either the comic will be quite abstract or maybe there´s something wrong with your eyes ;D

Joking..

I´m superpsyched and appreciate all the work that goes into them, especially since the comic keeps looking better and better from (seemingly) week to week!!

westrim

« Reply #343 on: 07 Jul 2011, 03:57 »

But did he at least get a warning first? That's what I get paranoid about, that someday I'll try to log on and... can't.

Not from Jeph, I'd guess, but he'd had multiple warnings from me, starting way back in December, and including one earlier that day.  On my watch, only spammers get banned without warning, which is entirely different.  When people (like Odin) have intelligent and useful contributions to make, I prefer to try to persuade them to keep within the rules so that we can keep them around.
Alright, that does allay my concerns quite a bit. Thanks.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #344 on: 07 Jul 2011, 04:03 »

Please read the sticky thread "Conduct in this forum" again before making any more posts like that.

Huh, I figured that post was being ironic, but then again, I suppose intolerance doesn't cater for irony. If I hated leeks, and someone served me leeks ironically, I'd still be pretty pissed.

Have Marten and Dora actually seen each other since they broke up? I can't recall.
Only in RK Milholland's warped mind.

Ah, yes. I didn't think they had, what with Marten's wasted psych-up etc, but I had a vague recollection of them talking and couldn't remember if it was a guest comic. Cheers.

Edit: Ohh!
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 04:06 by TinPenguin »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #345 on: 07 Jul 2011, 04:04 »

It'll be up in a moment, and it's absolutely a cliff-hanger...

Huh, I figured that post was being ironic, but then again, I suppose intolerance doesn't cater for irony.

I was more concerned with what it could lead to if I didn't step in; there'll be enough to think about shortly.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 04:06 by pwhodges »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #346 on: 07 Jul 2011, 04:05 »

As the forum will shortly become toxic, I'll hang back and watch for a couple days.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #347 on: 07 Jul 2011, 04:05 »

FINALLY.

Enduar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ale Iacta Est
« Reply #348 on: 07 Jul 2011, 04:05 »

Awwwww shit.
Listen to my music!
Dead Planet Series

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #349 on: 07 Jul 2011, 04:07 »

Saw this coming. Can't wait for this convo!  :-D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up