Tai rushes out and shoves Marten aside
- 8 (9.2%)
AnthroPCs
- 9 (10.3%)
Jeph has his first day off for years, & no guest strip either
- 13 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: Independence Day Week (4 - 8 July, 1961-1965)  (Read 153911 times)

westrim

Re: WCDT: Independence Day Week (4 - 8 July, 1961-1965)
« Reply #450 on: 07 Jul 2011, 14:53 »

Make-up makeout Monday?
Marten murder Monday!
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 15:06 by westrim »

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #451 on: 07 Jul 2011, 15:48 »

I was thinking about it, and I think the reason it bothers me is that it almost seems insensitive - "I was out on a date, and I stopped by to see how you're doing after I left you,", and it sort of rubs in the whole I'm-over-you feeling?  Not that Dora is totally responsible for Marten's feelings or anything like that - if he never moves on, it's not like she should never date or never let him know that she's moved on.  It's sort of an amorphous uncomfortableness with it, but overall, like you said, he might have been focusing on how the date was anyway, and it's good for them to talk.

I think that the reason she picked specifically now is that during the date she came to the realization that she shouldn't be dating anyone yet because her emotions were too messed up, and the first step to getting her emotional state back in order would be to have a talk with Marten.
Sure, when you put it like that it sounds kind of insensitive, but she probably wanted to get the talk done now, while it's still fresh in her mind, so that we don't have repeats of psyching oneself up to talk while the other person is busy.

Wile E Coyote's impersonation, by the whole gang, on panel 4 had me giggling.

Thankyou. It was seriously bugging me that I didn't know what that was.
You're right, it's hilarious now that I look at it properly.  :lol:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #452 on: 07 Jul 2011, 15:56 »

Dora may not even have come specifically to see Marten; she was invited to this party, remember (and Marten knows that).  When her date fizzled out (in a gentle way), she found she had time to go.  She would presumably have expected Marten to be there, but meeting him alone outside may be as much a surprise to her as to him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #453 on: 07 Jul 2011, 16:11 »

That's true too. Nonetheless, she would have been mentally preparing herself for this kind of one-on-one conversation anyway, because even if she had seen Marten at the party, it would have been what they really needed before they could get on and enjoy it.

Comic: Oh, damn. Not cool, guys, not cool. Just...wow. Faye sees Dora coming, absconds with any possible defenses Marten can leverage, and utterly abandons her friend to a confrontation he is not mentally prepared to handle? And she's ignoring he's been drinking too? Probably no more than a couple beers, but alcohol's effect is insidious.

The word I don't like here is 'defenses', because it sounds like Dora's going to be attacking Marten on some level, and that wouldn't happen unless both of them were super-drunk. Neither of them look particularly drunk (remember Jeph's fondness for drawing bubbles around their heads when they are), and what I think Dora wants to do is just have a nice gentle reconciliation where they work out their differences and go back to being friends.

Neither of them needs to be attacking the other, and neither of them wants to be attacking the other.

EDIT: My prediction for Friday is that we get at least one panel from the perspective of the people inside (especially Faye). Either the last panel, or everything BUT the last panel depending on how cruel Jeph wants to be.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 16:22 by WAYF »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #454 on: 07 Jul 2011, 16:22 »

I loved the visual story-telling in 1964, with the decompressed passage in middle, sandwiched between the establishing and closing panels. I'm surprised Marten wasn't sucked back through the door by the vacuum left by his friends' exit.  :-D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

FrozenPeas

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #455 on: 07 Jul 2011, 17:08 »

As much as I want everything to work out and be all happy-happy for these two, I do think that this is going to end badly. I don't mean 'badly' in the sense that they're about to enact a COPS episode on the lawn, but in the sense that a return to comfort will inhibit some of the growth they both need to do, partially because this is, to a certain extent, another repeat of what's wrong with their relationship in the first place: Dora's taking the initiative because she really cares about him, allowing him to just passively accept, rather than taking action himself.

As much as people are calling Dora's fears "paranoia," she has a point: Marten never chose her. He waited until Faye told him it wasn't going to happen and even then he never asked Dora out; he waited for her to ask him out, he waited for her to kiss him, and he started dating her when she basically said "okay, we're dating now." When she asked him about moving in together, he rejected it on the grounds that he didn't want to move—so she moved for him... into the apartment he shared... with the girl he had a mad crush on... and who played a role in his choice not to move in the first place. Kind of hard to imagine how that would set off her worries about not being good enough, isn’t it?

Marten doesn't know what he wants from life yet, and, of course, that's not a crime—again, I'm sure most of us know what that's like. Hell, I’m two weeks shy of thirty-one, and I’m still figuring it out—but, from his behaviour, it does seem that he doesn’t even really want Dora; he’s just comfortable with her. Dora wants (and, like anyone, deserves) to be wanted her partner. She isn’t needy—she just wants to be desired (as opposed to a consolation prize), and that’s perfectly reasonable. Her perspective on this seems to be that, even though he was a generally good boyfriend, he never made her feel like she was a choice that he had made—she was just another comfortable situation into which he happened to blunder. It was a damn good situation, and I think he understood that, but—especially with the moving in together nonsense, when he had a chance to show her that he really wanted her and not just to maintain the status quo—he  never took any action to indicate that it was a life he would choose if there were another option.

Sigh. I’m trying to explain what I feel is a very fine distinction, and I don’t feel like I’m doing it justice. Still, rather than blathering for another dozen paragraphs trying to narrow it down more, I’ll leave it there and hope that you understand.

Still, to bring it back around to my initial point, they both need to take this opportunity to grow, and that’s not going to happen if they slip back into their comfort zone, even just as friends. Marten’s growth, especially, being the status-quo-seeker that he is, is at risk if that happens.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #456 on: 07 Jul 2011, 17:22 »

OK, so I made a poll for the end of the week.

Thank you. I just didn't want to do it where it would inhale voluminously.

A volatile breakup should automatically take post-breakup friendship off the table, I'm sorry.
TLDR other replies, but this one's pretty simple:

Theirs wasn't a volatile breakup.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 17:24 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #457 on: 07 Jul 2011, 17:38 »

Once again you have made a fantastic post with some good points.
BUT I don't think that having this discussion is going to prevent their character growth, since Faye and Steve have both expressed their distaste for how hung up on Dora Marten is. I don't think he can develop further as a character until he can get over her, and that's what I'm hoping he will be able to do as a result of the next few strips.

Going back to "just friends" isn't necessarily the same as going nowhere, since if that is how they decide to handle things, then this will show that they have realized that they are not good for each other as a couple. There are other aspects too, like how Marten has seemingly been taking the break-up a lot harder than Dora. That is a fairly good indication that he did care about her. And Dora isn't the first one to have taken the initiative in this instance; Marten was actually the first one to try and make this conversation happen, he was just unlucky.
And you're right in that Dora has a point, but she did bring it on herself a little bit by getting together with Marten all of two days after the talk at 500. I can't exactly blame Marten for being a little confused about what he wanted at that point, and Dora should have handled it better by taking things slower and not, say, following Raven's advice. And even then, that plan was actually "get Marten to come to you", and when Marten didn't really follow through with his side of the plan, she started being more overt when what she probably should have done was back off and play it safe for... oh, I don't know, more than two days? Enough time for it not to seem incredibly hurtful for Faye.

I also think that it was Dora who didn't handle the moving situation correctly. Sure, Marten MIGHT not want to move because he still has feelings for Faye, but give him more than a minute to think about it. If he moves out Faye is going to be stuck there all on her own, and that might not be something he wants to do. I'm reminded of the rule that Meena laid out, only instead of leaving her homeless, he would have been leaving her with double the rent. I think the same principle still applies though.
-EDIT: I also don't blame Marten for initially thinking that she was talking about her moving in with him and Faye, since to me, that does make a lot more sense.

Although I've just noticed something in this comic, as I was looking for examples of how Dora handled the moving out thing. She does say "he'll probably just go along with what I decide, whether he's really happy about it or not", so you're definitely on to something there.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 17:40 by WAYF »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #458 on: 07 Jul 2011, 17:43 »

*Cue dramatic Violin note*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #459 on: 07 Jul 2011, 19:07 »

*Cue dramatic Violin note*

"Who Dares, Wins."

BananaCup

• Not quite a lurker
  • Just a little weird.
« Reply #460 on: 07 Jul 2011, 19:42 »

In regards to today's comic:

NO.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #461 on: 07 Jul 2011, 19:49 »

As much as I want everything to work out and be all happy-happy for these two, I do think that this is going to end badly. I don't mean 'badly' in the sense that they're about to enact a COPS episode on the lawn, but in the sense that a return to comfort will inhibit some of the growth they both need to do, partially because this is, to a certain extent, another repeat of what's wrong with their relationship in the first place: Dora's taking the initiative because she really cares about him, allowing him to just passively accept, rather than taking action himself.
(snip: lots of good points)

I agree with everything you've said, except that I don't think that them having a conversation necessarily implies that they will return to a comfort that will inhibit growth. Even if they end up becoming friends again. On the contrary, I think that having a conversation about what happened could well facilitate both of them learning something about themselves and the ended relationship out of the whole thing, which may not have happened if they'd never discussed it again. They are no more likely to return to a comfort zone by never discussing it than by discussing it.

If the conversation just amounts to "let's be friends again" then in that case I'll grant you your point.

Maybe we should wait until we see what Dora has to say for herself before we pass judgement on her actions here (that last comment applies generally to recent discussion, not just to the post to which I'm replying)? Just a thought.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #462 on: 07 Jul 2011, 20:09 »

Comic: Oh, damn. Not cool, guys, not cool. Just...wow. Faye sees Dora coming, absconds with any possible defenses Marten can leverage, and utterly abandons her friend to a confrontation he is not mentally prepared to handle?

Because they should all crowd around and gawk while Dora and Marten try to talk things out? Even if he isn't prepared, I doubt their presence would help that.

Concerning Elvis, I'm more of a Johnny Cash man myself.

Speaking of Mr. Cash, http://www.nme.com/news/nme/57784

ElvisRevenge

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr
« Reply #463 on: 07 Jul 2011, 20:10 »

A) I know they're not going to get back together because Dora said she shouldn't be dating anybody right now. I have to keep telling myself that.

B) Did anybody else literally shout "AWWWWWW HERE IT GOES!" when they saw that last panel? Just me? Okay.

FrozenPeas

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #464 on: 07 Jul 2011, 20:28 »

Once again you have made a fantastic post with some good points.
BUT I don't think that having this discussion is going to prevent their character growth, since Faye and Steve have both expressed their distaste for how hung up on Dora Marten is. I don't think he can develop further as a character until he can get over her, and that's what I'm hoping he will be able to do as a result of the next few strips.

You're right… but my point is that the discussion needs to happen, and Marten doesn't have a history of discussing. He lets others talk, puts up a momentary resistance, if any, and then gives in. To return to your earlier response to my earlier post, the fight over Cosette asking him out is a perfect example: that fight lasted the course of a single strip, and Dora was wrong. She was completely overreacting to nothing (due to her own issues), but Marten didn't bother standing up for himself; he went with the path of least resistance, which was just letting her win (which obviously bothered him enough that he kept trying to turn every fight thereafter into that fight again).

If this meeting results in a discussion—and I have enough faith in both the characters and Jeph's writing to believe that it will—that's a step in the right direction; if, on the other hand, the discussion is Dora saying she’s sorry and asking if they can be friends, then, to a certain extent, Marten’s development as a character will be put off.  

Not that that’s a terrible thing; if Marten suddenly becomes Mr. Motivated, that’s the end of the strip, at least as we know and love it. His quest is to grow up—that takes time, and the longer it takes, the more wacky hijinx we get to enjoy. Also, this isn’t a movie, where everything needs to wrap up nicely and Daredevil takes down the most powerful criminal in the world after an hour and a friggin’ half (seriously, I’m the only person on Earth who actually likes that movie, but even I have to admit that that was just a stupid move from the writers); it’s a comic strip that (hopefully) has a long, long time left in it for Marten to find his way.

I actually felt a little silly, after rereading my last post, for how life-and-death I made it sound; really, I was just looking for a way to frame some further exploration of the characters and, hopefully, demonstrate that insisting that one character is all right and the other is all wrong isn’t useful or interesting.

Thanks for bringing up Marten’s own attempt to see Dora—I left it out of my post because I probably would have done another three paragraphs on it and I was already way long (as you can tell, I tend to be verbose). Basically, I think that that was a very important point for Marten and the storyline; it wasn’t as powerful as it would have been had it been successful, though, and that’s why, even though I love the way today’s strip plays (because Jeph is awesome), I think this is still something of a repeat of the mistakes the characters have already made (which, really, is just more awesome writing from Jeph. Personal weaknesses are insidious that way—if there’s a way they can convince you that you’re moving ahead while you’re still actually doing exactly what you always do, they will).

Your point about Dora always moving too fast—both in asking Marten out and when they moved in together also applies here. As much as she wants to fix things now, it would have been helpful to both her and Marten if she’d also realized that she had to let him make the first move. She needs to learn to ease off a bit, and he needs to engage more.

I’m way long again but I do want to say one thing more: I side with Dora on not wanting to move into a dorm-like situation partially because I’m out of that phase, and I can understand her wanting to start a life that is more about her and Marten as a couple than it is about them as two people who happen to be dating in a larger circle of friends. Also, I speak from experience when I say that, while it’s fun having your friends around all the time, when their jackassery gets to the point that they’re baked 24/7 and keeping a bucket of vomit fermenting in the basement for a month just to see what will happen, you start to really appreciate living alone.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #465 on: 07 Jul 2011, 21:30 »

Sorry for bringing down the tone, but I just imagined a conversation:

Dora: ... and so, you see, you are simply too passive.
Marten: Yes, you are right.
Dora: No wait... see, you're ...
Marten: What?
Dora: You're being passive again.
Marten: I'm ... yes, I see.
Dora: Oh, come on.
Marten: Ok. Fine. No, I am not simply too passive.
Dora: Yes you are! How can you deny it now?!
Marten: omg

Anyway, carry on.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kwark

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #466 on: 07 Jul 2011, 21:30 »

Hi, this is my first post. I'm french so please bear with my accent. I've been reading the comic for years, and I'd like to attract your attention to the epicness of Number 1964. It looks like the end of an era, a cinematographic experience.

It begins as a pause in the narration, these few friends are taking a break from their usual adventures and just chilling on a porch. The first few lines of dialogue don't even matter, but their sudden absence allows a mysterious tension to build up, starting at panel 2, where we can see Marten gazing at nothing, apparently tired from unresolved issues with Dora and/or coffee. The silence wakes him up. They're just... gone. Behold the perspective in panel 4. All you can hear now are the grasshopers and the far thump of the bass, and even they fade away in pannel 5. Dora breaks the silence with 3 simple letters,  "Hey".

They're just not kids anymore. Either that is epic or I'm too stoned and misreading between the lines.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #467 on: 07 Jul 2011, 21:36 »

I am quite curious as to where this will go. I am not sure if it will be painful, cathartic, or just schadenfreude enducing, but I am curious to see regardless.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Enduar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ale Iacta Est
« Reply #468 on: 07 Jul 2011, 21:38 »

"Spoiler" from Jeph's Twitter:

(Tonight on QC)
Dora: Martin...would it be too soon...for me to date...your mom? And also Tai?

Lol.
Listen to my music!
Dead Planet Series

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #469 on: 07 Jul 2011, 22:01 »

Hi, this is my first post. I'm french so please bear with my accent. I've been reading the comic for years, and I'd like to attract your attention to the epicness of Number 1964. It looks like the end of an era, a cinematographic experience.

It begins as a pause in the narration, these few friends are taking a break from their usual adventures and just chilling on a porch. The first few lines of dialogue don't even matter, but their sudden absence allows a mysterious tension to build up, starting at panel 2, where we can see Marten gazing at nothing, apparently tired from unresolved issues with Dora and/or coffee. The silence wakes him up. They're just... gone. Behold the perspective in panel 4. All you can hear now are the grasshopers and the far thump of the bass, and even they fade away in pannel 5. Dora breaks the silence with 3 simple letters,  "Hey".

They're just not kids anymore. Either that is epic or I'm too stoned and misreading between the lines.

Bienvenue sur le forum, nouvelle personne!*

If it makes you feel any better, while your written English is impecable, I couldn't help reading it with a thick southern accent.

*Translation to the French by Google. And I forget, does French use those wierd upside-down exclamation points like Spanish?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #470 on: 07 Jul 2011, 22:09 »

Wow. Some people have some seriously confrontational lives.
I look at the panel and I see a classic romantic-comedy moment when the two characters finally act like grown-ups and have a adult conversation. They won't be getting back together, but it may get to the point where Marten can return to the Coffee of Doom and everyone can be comfortable in a group again.

Also, Marigold's junk-trunk is looking kinda nice in panel one. :wink:

From a story telling perspective, this turn of events will free Marten's character to spend time with Hanner's and Marigold. He seems to act like a catalyst helping other people move forward in their lives. I'm not looking for anything romantic, but I'd like to some time spent with those two.

Grantzilla

• Not quite a lurker
  • Kick at the darkness.
    • Movies With Grant
« Reply #471 on: 07 Jul 2011, 22:29 »

INSTANTLY PLAYED IN MY HEAD IN THAT LAST PANEL.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQGGQ-FCe_w
"Remember when I promised to kill you last? I lied."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #472 on: 07 Jul 2011, 22:39 »

Vous avez raison. I was trying to figure out why this comic looked particularly nice. And now I realise that, yes, it is cinematic. It's certainly distinctive.

michael28

« Reply #473 on: 07 Jul 2011, 23:18 »

It's not like Marten could have done anything right in the situation after Faye confessed why she has her issues. If he would be the first to move justs days after it, the outcome we have now would be the same. Maybe it would have happened earlier since Dora couldn't be sure either, if she was only second best. Something that always nagged on her from the beginning. I think Marten did the right thing not to try to get the moves on the next girl available.

It took Dora 3 days to make the moves, the pace of the strip makes it appear a longer time period, but both of them should have waited for a longer time. It's not like another month or 2 would have killed one of them.
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

SJCrew

« Reply #474 on: 07 Jul 2011, 23:23 »

Oh dude. This is so damn good. This is the best the comic has been in a while. I'm practically jizzing.

fuck.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #475 on: 07 Jul 2011, 23:26 »

This could be an epic comic tonight.
Just another Joe like 46

michael28

« Reply #476 on: 07 Jul 2011, 23:30 »

Sorry for bringing down the tone, but I just imagined a conversation:

Dora: ... and so, you see, you are simply too passive.
Marten: Yes, you are right.
Dora: No wait... see, you're ...
Marten: What?
Dora: You're being passive again.
Marten: I'm ... yes, I see.
Dora: Oh, come on.
Marten: Ok. Fine. No, I am not simply too passive.
Dora: Yes you are! How can you deny it now?!
Marten: omg

Anyway, carry on.
and the eternal truth reveals itself before Marten: As a Man you cannot do it right!

Quote from: Jeffontwitter
(Tonight on QC) Dora: Marten...would it be too soon...for me to date...your mom? And also Tai?'
hehe, good one. Possible answer: Hell could be freezing it over and it would be to soon for you dating my mom ^^.

yesterdays comic needed a fifth panel.
Marten turning backwards (yelling): SOME FRIENDS YOU ARE!

I do hope they don't have that conversation on the porch, while the bunch of people that surrounds them usual presses their ears on the door.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 23:55 by michael28 »
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #477 on: 07 Jul 2011, 23:55 »

In before the forum explodes from wild mass asspull speculation of what will happen next week.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Dust

« Reply #478 on: 08 Jul 2011, 00:09 »

In before the forum explodes from wild mass asspull speculation of what will happen next week.

A bit late.. well, you've beaten the "wild" part.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #479 on: 08 Jul 2011, 00:15 »

Not surprised to see that Marten was out on the porch brooding instead of inside enjoying the party, I kinda figured he would be. Hopefully the impending conversation with Dora will help clear some of the air between them. Assuming they can get past monosyllables and short phrases...

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #480 on: 08 Jul 2011, 00:18 »

Not surprised to see that Marten was out on the porch brooding instead of inside enjoying the party, I kinda figured he would be.

You're assuming he was brooding.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #481 on: 08 Jul 2011, 00:25 »

He was probably getting sick of being hit on by the guy in the pink angel wings T-shirt.

COMIC!

And I completely agree with Faye.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2011, 01:08 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #482 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:08 »

So far, so good...  more to come, I guess.

Some people may find the lack of drama frustrating, though!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #483 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:09 »

Boy, at this rate, they could, like, end up as friends again!

:psyduck:
Just another Joe like 46

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #484 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:13 »

Hahahha the last panel really is the kicker :roll:

Also: Yeah, that´s how things sometimes work out. All drama-less and boring :-)

So it goes..

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #485 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:15 »

This is the first time in a long time where I actually stayed up and wanted to see the end result. I think he did it just right.

(applause)
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #486 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:16 »

Also: Yeah, that´s how things sometimes work out. All drama-less and boring :-)
I refuse to believe that!  Also, anyone else notice that he finally had text in the commentary box?  Other than Freedom Day, it's been blank all week.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #487 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:19 »

Moment of the week:

When Dora met Marten (again)
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #488 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:22 »

Nice characterization on Hannelore and the Pugnacious Peach.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #489 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:23 »

Hannelore and Faye divide the forum between them; there is no third.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #490 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:25 »

WE HAVE RAVEN BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!  :-D
Carpe Diem

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #491 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:26 »

I like this, that Dora and Marten can just talk without anger or recriminations, and only minimal awkwardness. I also like that Jeph didn't just wrap this up in one strip either, it needs at least one more. Looking forward to Monday!
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #492 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:27 »

My prediction for Friday is that we get at least one panel from the perspective of the people inside (especially Faye). Either the last panel, or everything BUT the last panel depending on how cruel Jeph wants to be.

Called it! :lol:

At least Dora and Marten seem to be talking to each other with smiles on their faces, that's a considerable relief. If they're going to start mending bridges, starting with small talk is as good a way as any I suppose.
And if I was in Hannelore's situation I'd probably be thinking exactly the same thing. :P

(9 new replies... woah)

guayec

• Plantmonster
    • the underman forever
« Reply #493 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:27 »

whats dora being so smug about. self-righteous b.
and marten back to a struttering jelly. self-deprecating ah.

nope. just no.  :|

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #494 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:28 »

I would like them to half-kiss and half-get-back-together.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #495 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:35 »

This turned out almost exactly how I expected, down to the rest of the gang spying/eavesdropping from inside.

Now we know the real reason Faye cleared the porch when she saw Dora approaching, can't get good data if the subjects know their being observed. :evil:

I think they may even get back together eventually, but it's gonna take a loooooooong time to get there! :psyduck:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #496 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:37 »

But if they're both acting like mature adults, where is the drama and comedy going to come from?

Raven, of course :-)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #497 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:38 »

whats dora being so smug about. self-righteous b.
and marten back to a struttering jelly. self-deprecating ah.

nope. just no.  :|

I don't actually see any evidence of Dora being smug, and I don't see any evidence of either of them stuttering to a particularly greater degree than the other. It's just a little awkward for them to make small talk after so much time of not having seen each other.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #498 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:39 »

Now all we need is a chainsaw wielding maniac to turn up at the party and the evening will be complete. Cue Pintsize.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #499 on: 08 Jul 2011, 01:52 »

When Dora and Marten split up, it felt a bit like Jeph had painted himself into a corner. Well. Looks like the paint is nearly dry now. Is Angus giving Faye a disapproving look? Not that I could fault Faye (much) for peeking. The last panel is classic comic relief from Jeph (standing ovation).
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2011, 02:43 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up