THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 13:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The band's first song of their first concert will be...

Hot Cross Buns
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Parabola
We Are The Waffles
They won't get that far

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 8-12 August 2011 (1986-1990) aka Method's birth week  (Read 73621 times)

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
Re: WCDT 8-12 August 2011 (1986-1990) aka Method's birth week
« Reply #100 on: 09 Aug 2011, 22:38 »

Yeah, the library job may not pay any better, but he still likes it a lot better than his "office bitch" job. Speaking of which, there is more to satisfaction at the job than how much it pays. There are many stories of people with high-paying but also highly stressful jobs (the two frequently go together) leaving those jobs for something lower paying but less stressful and more satisfying.

I doubt Marten could handle a high-paying but high-stress office job, like manager or VP or something else like that. Heck, I doubt he even WANTS one of those types of jobs. And as for taking a "safer" career path, well, with the economy and job market the way it is these days, I'm not sure there even is such a path any more. Companies merge and acquire each other daily, and when those deals are finalized employees are often laid off by the dozens, hundreds or even thousands, depending on size of the companies involved. This is basically what happened to Marten's office bitch job after all, and it's happened to people with more skills and experience than him. People who've worked their way up the ladder over years, reaching a pinnacle of pay and position, only to lose it in a layoff and ending up having to take a job making half or less what they did before. It's a story repeated over and over again across all kinds of career fields. In this kind of economy, you mind as well take a shot at something like a music career.

Your career path may be fairly secure now, stout, but don't count on it lasting. Most of us are vulnerable to an economic downturn, budget cut, business failure or merger/acquisition.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #101 on: 09 Aug 2011, 22:43 »

I don't remember Marten calling his current job "crappy". I'd be surprized if he did, considering his previous job denomination.

Indeed, the library job isn't "crappy", it was his office bitch job that was crappy. And it wasn't because it didn't pay well.

Seemed obvious to me, but meh. I was supposed to be agreeing to disagree.  :roll:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #102 on: 10 Aug 2011, 01:05 »

So I'm thinking if Jeph had switched the positions of the quarter and eight note in the second to last panel, it would've been spot on for the opening riff for Enter Sandman.

Changed for avoiding a lawsuit I guess.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #103 on: 10 Aug 2011, 02:33 »

Oh come on, what makes you think Metallica would threaten a lawsuit?

/sarcasm  :roll:

EDIT: Comic: OH MY GOD ITS ALIVE (the comic, I mean)  :-o
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2011, 02:37 by iduguphergrave »
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #104 on: 10 Aug 2011, 02:38 »

This. Is. EPIC!  :mrgreen:

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #105 on: 10 Aug 2011, 02:42 »

I want to see the alternate book version.

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #106 on: 10 Aug 2011, 02:43 »

Think Dav Pilkey's "Flip-O-Rama"

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #107 on: 10 Aug 2011, 02:47 »

Tonight's strip went right over my head and into the weeds. I googled "tool video" and even watched several videos by a band called Tool. Oh well... Can't win 'em all.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #108 on: 10 Aug 2011, 02:59 »

by a band called Tool.

Wow. I know this is just because of different tastes in music but it still hurts my eyes to read "by a band called Tool".  :psyduck:

I mean Ćnima and Lateralus.... GREAT stuff. If Marten is comparing her to Tool I guess it's safe to say that she will be a friggin beast when she uses both her feet for the kick drum. I also want to add that I laughed my ass off when I saw she was moving. Nice one Jeph  :-)
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2011, 03:02 by Mr. Doctor »

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #109 on: 10 Aug 2011, 03:06 »

Two players are trying out for a baseball team. Coach makes them run two first base and they both have the same time. The first player has great form and the second player has lousy form. Which one does the coach pick?
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2011, 03:08 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #110 on: 10 Aug 2011, 03:22 »

Gah! Gif!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #111 on: 10 Aug 2011, 03:35 »

Oh come on, what makes you think Metallica would threaten a lawsuit?

/sarcasm  :roll:

EDIT: Comic: OH MY GOD ITS ALIVE (the comic, I mean)  :-o

*AHEM* Naspter anyone?

Also, I find Hanner's leg twitching to be....strangely erotic for some reason.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #112 on: 10 Aug 2011, 03:59 »

Somebody hooked Hannelore up to the mains? :P

I have no clue how drums work, so I'm not sure what she's supposed to be doing with two feet that she's only doing with one...

TheMusicalVito

• Not quite a lurker
  • Yes.
« Reply #113 on: 10 Aug 2011, 04:09 »

I now expected to see animated QC all the time.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #114 on: 10 Aug 2011, 04:15 »

zomg SPECIAL EFFECTS
SQUEEZE BOX

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #115 on: 10 Aug 2011, 04:28 »

To every drummer: Excuse me if I'm wrong, I'm just guessing.

I have no clue how drums work, so I'm not sure what she's supposed to be doing with two feet that she's only doing with one...

Well, Let's just say if she's hella good with just one foot (Marten and Amir thought she was playing with both). Imagine what she could do if you gave her a double bass drum pedal. She would be one brutal drummer, perfect for some technical death metal hahahahah.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #116 on: 10 Aug 2011, 04:53 »

Yeah, I know most drummers use a double bass pedal for wicked fast beat on it, but it is possible to be ridiculously fast with a single pedal. Here's a friend and her instructor having a drum duel, and at around 0:42 he runs off a couple of bass drum rolls.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Plasma_Wolf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #117 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:19 »

Since Hanners had her leg jammed in the "continuous drum" position, I'm going to add this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_kloG2Z7tU&feature=youtu.be&t=1m23s

Starts about 40 seconds early but that's ok I suppose :P

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #118 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:27 »

Okay, animated QC was great.

Now, please, no more of it.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Kilya

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #119 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:43 »

Yeah, I know most drummers use a double bass pedal for wicked fast beat on it, but it is possible to be ridiculously fast with a single pedal. Here's a friend and her instructor having a drum duel, and at around 0:42 he runs off a couple of bass drum rolls.

Looked at the video.  It seems like he has 2 pedals doesnt it?

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #120 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:50 »

Oh wait was that a reference to Tool's music?
I thought it was referencing their videos, esp Sober
y'know the lil guy with the occasional spasms

I don't listen to them regularly enough to recognize anything of their drumming tho I do love them
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2011, 06:23 by rje »
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #121 on: 10 Aug 2011, 06:08 »

Enter Sandman indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE7GTc8p-1A

Truly one of my favorite wrestling moments of all time.

Second only to CM Punk's theme song being sang at MITB 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Tr9tE2Hdk&feature=related
"Who Dares, Wins."

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #122 on: 10 Aug 2011, 07:01 »

Yeah, the library job may not pay any better, but he still likes it a lot better than his "office bitch" job. Speaking of which, there is more to satisfaction at the job than how much it pays. There are many stories of people with high-paying but also highly stressful jobs (the two frequently go together) leaving those jobs for something lower paying but less stressful and more satisfying.

I doubt Marten could handle a high-paying but high-stress office job, like manager or VP or something else like that. Heck, I doubt he even WANTS one of those types of jobs. And as for taking a "safer" career path, well, with the economy and job market the way it is these days, I'm not sure there even is such a path any more. Companies merge and acquire each other daily, and when those deals are finalized employees are often laid off by the dozens, hundreds or even thousands, depending on size of the companies involved. This is basically what happened to Marten's office bitch job after all, and it's happened to people with more skills and experience than him. People who've worked their way up the ladder over years, reaching a pinnacle of pay and position, only to lose it in a layoff and ending up having to take a job making half or less what they did before. It's a story repeated over and over again across all kinds of career fields. In this kind of economy, you mind as well take a shot at something like a music career.

Your career path may be fairly secure now, stout, but don't count on it lasting. Most of us are vulnerable to an economic downturn, budget cut, business failure or merger/acquisition.

I never said the office path was a good one.  Rather, it was an awful ine since he was a basic office drone.  In this economy the people who survive are the ones with a skillset (could be math/science background, could be hands on like plumbing or hvac).  Marten should find a background he enjoys where he learns a useful skillet to separate himself from the pack.

So far his only skill is guitar playing, hence why we find ourselves watching this arc.  It's the easiest choice for Marten.

I just don't want to see this idea fail after years of effort and Marten being that much older and having no skills.  Especially in a world where anthroPC's should be working all the basic labor jobs in the world(but that's a whole other issue though).

As this arc unfolds I will rank the bands inevitable accomplishments based on three outcomes: Hard Work, Pleasant Surprise, and Improbable Outcome based on what Marten knew going into this decision.  So far...

Pleasant Surprise: We discover Hanners has latent drummer potential if properly trained.

khendron

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #123 on: 10 Aug 2011, 07:05 »

Jeph's first technology dependent comic! When viewed on my iPad, Hanner's foot is going only a little faster than 1 beat per second. I didn't get at all what the joke was.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #124 on: 10 Aug 2011, 07:29 »

Oh wait was that a reference to Tool's music?
I thought it was referencing their videos, esp Sober
y'know the lil guy with the occasional spasms

I don't listen to them regularly enough to recognize anything of their drumming tho I do love them

Oh shit I totally missed the video reference. I was mostly thinking about their drummers and the band itself being crazy math-loving people.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #126 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:06 »

I have a cousin who went from Wall Street banker to pop star, of sorts - as a member of Straight No Chaser - America's most successful a cappella band.

You're related to someone in Straight No Chaser?! I LOVE THEM. A few years ago when I was working at Brookstone we carried their Christmas CD. It was THE ONLY ONE I DIDN'T GET TIRED OF! (That's saying something when you're forced to listen the same five Christmas CD 8 hrs a day, five days a week).

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #127 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:11 »

-I figured getting with Faye was a real-life goal, and that was guarded flirting and then bitter resentment.  We've seen him motivated but we've never seen him give 100% effort.  I'm not sure we ever will.

-I think he should shoot for a low risk, achievable career goal.  However, it has not been said that Marten is trying to make a career out of this, he might just want another hobby.  Which is fine, for now anyway.

-When he fails, and he will unless multiple characters pull 180's, then he'll be back in the coffee shop that much older having accomplished nothing.  I wonder when characters like Faye and Dora are married off and Marten is still that guy trying to keep the band alive and working at the library.  I don't care if he has a hobby, but I want him to grow up a little as far as his future's concerned. Yes, Jeph is not going to let Marten fail at life, but if Marten was a real-life person his most likely outcome would be failing at life if he continues down this path.  If you had Marten as a real-life friend, you wouldn't be the least bit worried about his future?

He's not going to "fail at life" if he shoots for something he wants and doesn't make it.  :psyduck:

You think he should shoot for a low risk, achievable career goal? You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Personally, I think he should shoot for something that he wants, rather than for something he's not as interested in but more likely to succeed in.

If he fails, then at least he'll know it isn't to be, and he can try something else. If he never tries, then he'll spend the rest of his life wondering "what if?"

If I were his real life friend, I'd be way more worried if he wasn't pursuing the thing he wants, because he's scared he'll fail. I certainly wouldn't be worrying "BUT WHAT IF HE FAILS?"

I couldn't agree with you more.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #128 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:12 »

Oh Metallica jokes. Will they ever get stale?
Of course. When Metallica's music does.  :-P
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #129 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:19 »

-When he fails, and he will unless multiple characters pull 180s, then he'll be back in the coffee shop that much older having accomplished nothing.  I wonder when characters like Faye and Dora are married off and Marten is still that guy trying to keep the band alive and working at the library.  I don't care if he has a hobby, but I want him to grow up a little as far as his future's concerned. Yes, Jeph is not going to let Marten fail at life, but if Marten was a real-life person his most likely outcome would be failing at life if he continues down this path.  If you had Marten as a real-life friend, you wouldn't be the least bit worried about his future?
Several characters have 'pulled 180s' to serve the needs of the story already, it could happen again. I assume it happens because Jeph is writing a story at a relatively slow pace and he's not always entirely happy with what he set up so long ago in the past.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #130 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:24 »

It's hard to know whether to address your attack on Marten and the others or your attack on Jeph. But since you obviously refuse to believe it is even possible, and have even gone so far as to criticise the beliveability of developments that haven't yet occurred, then I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm not attacking Jeph...I'm just proving a point.  Marten has a much better chance of succeeding because he is the main character in a comic.  If we translated Marten's situation to the real world and he was a person that you knew, the last thing you would be wondering is how his friends will take it when he's famous.  As a friend you would root for him, but deep down be very skeptical that anything other than a bar gig would happen.  I only challenge Jeph to make this current story arc be plausible by having Marten really work at this for an extended period of time.

You haven't proven anything here. You've stated an opinion. Those are two separate thing. As a friend to some people with serious musical aspirations, you're right, I would root for them. But, I have never been skeptical deep down. I've always been a believer of you can do anything you want as long as you put your mind to it. Maybe Marten's character wasn't as motivated before. But I'm under the impression he's getting some development. Maybe he's going to try harder to be motivated. And who's to say Jeph won't have Marten work hard over an extended period of time to reach his goals? As far as I know, none of us are psychics. We have no way of knowing what Jeph's plans are. For all we know, his plan might be to have Marten fail with music, but find his real passion along the way. Crazier things have happened.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #131 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:28 »

I don't understand why Hannelore is getting some rep as a bad drummer, when a) her personality would allow her to be nothing less than excellent, and b) we have evidence that she was good even when she was just starting out, and all the other times I can recall her playing being mentioned by anyone except Hannelore herself, it was always positive, or at least never negative.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #132 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:30 »

If Marten didn't care about money then great, but he's shown no signs that he wouldn't like to be better off.

To steal your words, with the information we have, he doesn't care about money.

He does care about having a crappy job he doesn't enjoy.

If he made a million dollars a year, he'd be singing a different tune.  The job is crappy because it doesn't pay well.

I've made my point, and we agree to disagree.  I had hoped Marten would follow a safer path based on what I've seen from him.  I guess we'll just see how it all plays out. 

.... I have absolutely no words to describe how ridiculous a statement that is. If he made a million dollars a year, he'd be singing a different tune?

A crappy job is a crappy job regardless of how much you get paid. My older sister is an elementary school teacher. She doesn't get paid that much, but SHE LOVES HER JOB!
At one point in time she was a business major in college, obviously she changed her mind about wanting to be in business. But I imagine if she hadn't changed her major she'd be doing something businessy, getting paid twice if not three times as much as what she makes now, but she'd be miserable, because she didn't really enjoy it. Happiness is not synonymous with more money.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #133 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:32 »

Tonight's strip went right over my head and into the weeds. I googled "tool video" and even watched several videos by a band called Tool. Oh well... Can't win 'em all.

Can't tell if you're being serious or not. On the off chance that you are, Tool is a band that's known for having really difficult mathematical type of music. They're awesome. Schism is a great song.

Far_Gone

« Reply #134 on: 10 Aug 2011, 09:20 »

Pretty much assumed he was talking about the video for Sober.  The thought of Hannelore moving like along with her wild eyed serious look cracked me up.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #135 on: 10 Aug 2011, 09:24 »

I thought I was tripping out when I first saw panel 3.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #136 on: 10 Aug 2011, 10:38 »

It's hard to know whether to address your attack on Marten and the others or your attack on Jeph. But since you obviously refuse to believe it is even possible, and have even gone so far as to criticise the beliveability of developments that haven't yet occurred, then I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm not attacking Jeph...I'm just proving a point.  Marten has a much better chance of succeeding because he is the main character in a comic.  If we translated Marten's situation to the real world and he was a person that you knew, the last thing you would be wondering is how his friends will take it when he's famous.  As a friend you would root for him, but deep down be very skeptical that anything other than a bar gig would happen.  I only challenge Jeph to make this current story arc be plausible by having Marten really work at this for an extended period of time.

You haven't proven anything here. You've stated an opinion. Those are two separate thing. As a friend to some people with serious musical aspirations, you're right, I would root for them. But, I have never been skeptical deep down. I've always been a believer of you can do anything you want as long as you put your mind to it. Maybe Marten's character wasn't as motivated before. But I'm under the impression he's getting some development. Maybe he's going to try harder to be motivated. And who's to say Jeph won't have Marten work hard over an extended period of time to reach his goals? As far as I know, none of us are psychics. We have no way of knowing what Jeph's plans are. For all we know, his plan might be to have Marten fail with music, but find his real passion along the way. Crazier things have happened.

Do I really need to prove that the main character of a fictional comic has a better chance of succeeding than a real-life person?  For instance, the odds of Marten getting hit by a bus and dying tomorrow are 0%.  The odds of the town getting hit by a tsunami and everyone dying are 0%.  In real-life, they aren't.  Extreme, I know, but Marten lives in a world where he can't completely fail because his creator won't let him, as Marten and the rest of the cast support Jephs financial well being.  No, that is not a knock against Jeph, it's just how it is.  There are less paths a story arc can take in certain works of fiction than in a real-life scenario.
If Marten didn't care about money then great, but he's shown no signs that he wouldn't like to be better off.

To steal your words, with the information we have, he doesn't care about money.

He does care about having a crappy job he doesn't enjoy.

If he made a million dollars a year, he'd be singing a different tune.  The job is crappy because it doesn't pay well.

I've made my point, and we agree to disagree.  I had hoped Marten would follow a safer path based on what I've seen from him.  I guess we'll just see how it all plays out.  

.... I have absolutely no words to describe how ridiculous a statement that is. If he made a million dollars a year, he'd be singing a different tune?

A crappy job is a crappy job regardless of how much you get paid. My older sister is an elementary school teacher. She doesn't get paid that much, but SHE LOVES HER JOB!
At one point in time she was a business major in college, obviously she changed her mind about wanting to be in business. But I imagine if she hadn't changed her major she'd be doing something businessy, getting paid twice if not three times as much as what she makes now, but she'd be miserable, because she didn't really enjoy it. Happiness is not synonymous with more money.

Would she do it for free?  Now be honest, would she go there everyday for free?  Even better, would she pay to work there?  She LOVES it, and I pay for things I like to do, so would she?  On the other end of the coin, would she be even happier if she made a million dollars a year?  Wouldn't that make the job that much better?  I know multiple teachers personally, and none of them are particularly pleased with their salary, among other things about their job(daycare service, discipline).  I asked them if they made a fortune doing it, would they care as much about those issues...what do you think they said?

If I paid you a million dollars a day to literally shovel crap, would you do it?  A million dollars, per day.  Of course you would.  While the job might literally be crappy, the pay would be so good that you would enjoy having that job.  The fact is, most jobs do suck, but most people don't live to work, they work to live.  They make enough that they can see the world, try new things, relax.  Some of these people even enjoy their jobs too, and its because they sat down and researched a career path they wanted to pursue.  They didnt plot their life out over a haircut and burger.  Marten will never get to do certain things with his life because he can't afford to.  If his guitar broke tomorrow could he even afford a new one?  While you could argue that Marten doesn't care about things like money, the life he's leading currently hasn't made him the happiest person.  Money is important, whether people want to admit it or not.  It's not everything, and it can't buy happiness, but it can help.

As I've said before, if I thought Marten was truly passionate about music I'd support this more, but to me it just seemed like the quick solution.  If they had a strip where Marten went over different career paths, really sat down and thought everything through, his decision wouldn't be so sketchy.

Throg

• will accordion for food
« Reply #137 on: 10 Aug 2011, 10:57 »

Well, maybe that's where Jeph will take things: Marten slowly learning and perservering through the ups and downs of being an artist. 

Heck, there might even be a parallel with Faye here: with Angus's encouragement, putting her art / sculpture / engineering skills back to work, getting her own sense of business savvy, and starting a line of Coffeesaurus products.

yyyyeah.  and by the time that happens, it'll probably be the year 2018. 
SQUEEZE BOX

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #138 on: 10 Aug 2011, 10:59 »

There are 2 things that stood out in your post that I feel need to be pointed out:

Some of these people even enjoy their jobs too, and its because they sat down and researched a career path they wanted to pursue.  

<snip>

As I've said before, if I thought Marten was truly passionate about music I'd support this more, but to me it just seemed like the quick solution.  If they had a strip where Marten went over different career paths, really sat down and thought everything through, his decision wouldn't be so sketchy.

I think a lot of us see Marten as the kind of person who wants to enjoy his job to give his life meaning. Not everyone lives to work, but if you can choose to love your job, why would you choose not to? If he can support himself with the library gig while he dedicates himself to furthering his music endeavor, a lot of us are seeing this as a sensible, in-character move....and music is the ONLY thing Marten has been passionate about since the inception of the comic. And- as far as the "drive to succeed" goes- once you start doing something you are passionate about, it's pretty easy to find the drive.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Interlude

• Plantmonster
« Reply #139 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:21 »

I agree with this. It is, in a way, a quick solution to the idea that Marten needs to be developed as a character. He is passionate about music, but we have not been shown his own playing enough to know if he would be just as passionate about creating music. I also think that he needs to sit down and think about what he wants to do with his music/the band-- there are so many directions this can go in. If his decision was to make this his career, and we are not even sure yet that this is the case, he needs to figure out a solid plan for doing so. Not just him-- he needs to have this discussion with the band, too.

However, at this point, he is simply excited. And that's okay. He was hit by his revelation that he wants to make music more a part of his life. And then we are seeing the band play. I actually agree with most of what you are saying, but we should wait a little bit before deciding what Marten is or is not going to try to do. He may only want to pursue music as a hobby for now-- if that is the case, he is STILL going to be happier and more developed than he was while just...floating around. Or he may want to decide to turn it into something more. I am fairly confident that this is not going to happen overnight-- yes, he has more of a chance because he is a comic character. That is an obvious thing. But I would not be surprised if he DID fail because this comic IS actually more realistic than a lot of other ones out there. Even with the robots.

Also, he does have a somewhat impressive "net" out there already. He knows Sven, which is already a step in the right direction. If Hannelore were to stay in the band, there is also the wealth and prestige of her parents-- some people would be interested in hearing the music of the daughter of two very prominent individuals, if only out of curiosity.  Even Marten's mom may have some tips or know some people that could help lead them in the right direction. (She seems very well-known-- even if it is in the porn industry rather than music, that does not mean she would have NO connections that could help Marten out.) All in all, they actually have some fairly good connections out there, which is definitely something to take into consideration.

Still, I agree. Marten is going to have to change a lot because, right now, he is the one who would have to lead the band into anything more serious. He seems more like someone who would go ALONG with the idea. We will just have to see how this develops. :)

lepetitfromage

« Reply #140 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:32 »

wonderfully put.

Mark7

• My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
« Reply #141 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:42 »

Are Deathmole (no I can't do that Scandinavian thing) the hipster Archies, then?  :-P
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #142 on: 10 Aug 2011, 12:02 »

Nicely put interlude, I guess I should just see where all this leads and trust Jeph on this one.

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #143 on: 10 Aug 2011, 12:20 »

Gah! Her leg is alive!

And the human augmentation theory I've had about Hanners for some time has been handed new evidence. Let's hope the demon leg calms down quickly, because I can foresee problems in the future.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #144 on: 10 Aug 2011, 12:38 »

I'm not sure why people are suggesting that
- Marten wants to make the band his career,
- Marten should want to make the band his career,
- If Marten's not going to make the band his career, he's wasting his time playing music and should give up.

I'm not saying it won't happen - just don't see why people are being insistent.

we're just an easily excitable bunch?  :-P good points though....perhaps he just had a mini revelation: "making music is fun. i want to have fun." hehe

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #145 on: 10 Aug 2011, 13:12 »

Are Deathmole (no I can't do that Scandinavian thing) the hipster Archies, then?  :-P

WIN.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #146 on: 10 Aug 2011, 14:42 »

Looked at the video.  It seems like he has 2 pedals doesnt it?

The 2nd pedal is for the high hat, and you can specifically see it going at a relatively slow pace (quarter notes or maybe 8ths), during the roll.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #147 on: 10 Aug 2011, 14:51 »

It's alive!!  IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #148 on: 10 Aug 2011, 15:38 »

Are Deathmole (no I can't do that Scandinavian thing) the hipster Archies, then?  :-P

WIN.

As long as we do not let the Filmation studio handle the animation.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2011, 15:41 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #149 on: 10 Aug 2011, 15:56 »

I'm not sure why people are suggesting that
- Marten wants to make the band his career,
- Marten should want to make the band his career,
- If Marten's not going to make the band his career, he's wasting his time playing music and should give up.

I'm not saying it won't happen - just don't see why people are being insistent.

I'd say it's a product of the context.
-Dora tells him "you have to figure out what you want from life, and then go for it."
-Then his creepy hairdresser tells him about how she's slogging it through her job while she develops her dream of being an artist.
-for some time people on the forum have been debating Marten's lack of direction/motivation.

I do hope that the band at least reaches "playing a show in Marten's Dad's nightclub" level. It would be fun to see the three (or more!) of them on a road trip.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up