THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 05:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Mutual self-perpetuating sleep-deprivation freakouts!
- 10 (17.5%)
"I tried. Five times. They keep forgetting."
- 5 (8.8%)
"You're not stupid!"
- 0 (0%)
Just takes her hobbies very seriously.
- 0 (0%)
Who sets their alarm for 9:17?
- 2 (3.5%)
MARIGOLD LOUISE FARMER!
- 6 (10.5%)
Hanners grounds Marigold!
- 6 (10.5%)
JOU JOU YUUJOU! BANJI MAJI KACHOU!!!
- 5 (8.8%)
Hi dad... No, I didn't BREAK SOMETHING... No, it's not the Red Chinese...
- 0 (0%)
You run a SHOE WEBSITE.
- 0 (0%)
I'm not lying! I swear! Talk to my dad, he'll prove it!
- 1 (1.8%)
Your father wants me to extend it to a week (AUGH!)
- 6 (10.5%)
No video games for the next three days!
- 0 (0%)
Sad eyes at Momo! (It's for your own good)
- 0 (0%)
Th - the Mitsubishi PX-3500?
- 0 (0%)
But it costs thirty thousand...
- 0 (0%)
I'LL TAKE OUT A LOAN JUST LET ME PLAY SOME FRIGGIN' VIDEO GAMES
- 7 (12.3%)
Were you serious about the new chassis?
- 0 (0%)
'Sides, I like you just the way you are.
- 3 (5.3%)
Momo fills out her resume!
- 5 (8.8%)
14 Elm Grove Lane (no such number)
- 1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 August 2011 (1991-95)  (Read 68723 times)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
Re: WCDT 15-19 August 2011 (1991-95)
« Reply #200 on: 18 Aug 2011, 21:34 »

Of course, one of my personal favorites is when Wile E. Coyote (Genius) first verbally introduced himself and stated his intent to catch & eat Bugs Bunny.  Standard Wile E Coyote (Super Genius! at that point) hilarity ensues.

A nice touch to that was that the coyote, depicted visually as a slavering moron, speaks with the plummy, high-cultured tone of a slumming intellectual. Those Termite Terrace folks were geniuses, to be sure. Soooooo-puh Geniuses.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #201 on: 18 Aug 2011, 22:38 »

Well, I was gone for the better part of last week, and have finally caught up on both the comic and the forum.  And, to revisit a popular topic of conversation, Friday's number (1995) is the year I got my Ph.D., after 7 years of grad school... which was after the 3 years to get my Master's, and a year teaching, where they convinced me to go back.  I was the second oldest student in the department. 

Other major year-events in my life ... first daughter born last Friday (90), second one born Wednesday (93).  Married the Monday before last (86).  Graduated (BS) two weeks  ago (84)... 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #202 on: 18 Aug 2011, 22:40 »

So am I the only one that found Marigold's comment at the end depressing instead of funny?  I know Jeph was going for funny, I get that, but she's incredibly desperate to play video games at the very beginning of her "grounding" and you see how serious her addiction really is.  While the punishment is silly, it appears she really needs it.

Well, it's a fine line between comedy and pain, isn't it?

Speaking as a recovered WoW addict myself ... I recognised the compulsion to play, and I can certainly laugh about it. I thought it was pretty funny.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #203 on: 18 Aug 2011, 22:46 »

Doesn't Marigold use those games as a source of income?  This must be costing her $200 or so...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #204 on: 18 Aug 2011, 22:50 »

Doesn't Marigold use those games as a source of income?  This must be costing her $200 or so...

I don't recall that.

Just waiting for someone with considerably more archive-fu skills than I have to chime in now...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #205 on: 18 Aug 2011, 22:53 »

Doesn't ring a bell here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #206 on: 18 Aug 2011, 22:58 »

She manages her dads web site for a living. WoW is her professionhobby.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #207 on: 18 Aug 2011, 23:04 »

WoW is her professionhobbyunpaid part-time job. :)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #208 on: 18 Aug 2011, 23:07 »

Meh. Who doesn't need therapy?
I would like to think nearly everyone.

I would say that therapy is not so much about how to be or live with yourself, which should not be necessary in general, but how to reconcile yourself with our present society's increasingly restrictive demands on our behaviour.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #209 on: 18 Aug 2011, 23:17 »

3) You act like playing video games is some kind of mental disorder. Yeah, her behavior in todays comic is reminiscent of an addict but that might also just be how someone would act with a break in routine. If Penelope had all her books impounded she might be willing to pay well to get access to a few of them and I doubt people would be scolding her for 'book addiction'.

This isn't necessarily a rebuttal of your point. But my friends scold me for my book addiction regularly. Last year when we drew names for Christmas gifts, she told the guy who got my name that he was not allowed to get me any books or giftcards to bookstores.

When my birthday rolled around last month she nearly flipped her lid about the fact that I got b&n giftcards from people. If we go into a bookstore together, she will not let me buy more than one book no matter how good of deal I get. I probably read about three or four books month (which really... isn't that much).

I know I could go to a library, but none of the libraries around here have a very good selection of books. :-\

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #210 on: 18 Aug 2011, 23:37 »

I would say that therapy is not so much about how to be or live with yourself, which should not be necessary in general, but how to reconcile yourself with our present society's increasingly restrictive demands on our behaviour.

Hmmm.. I dunno. It´s rather how you put it, is it not?
You might go the same way by saying "oh, it´s not about how to reconcile yourself with society's increasingly restrictive demands on our behaviour, but how to get all the chemicals in your head into just the right mix so as not to feel blue" and still... feels hinky.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #211 on: 18 Aug 2011, 23:45 »

3) You act like playing video games is some kind of mental disorder. Yeah, her behavior in todays comic is reminiscent of an addict but that might also just be how someone would act with a break in routine. If Penelope had all her books impounded she might be willing to pay well to get access to a few of them and I doubt people would be scolding her for 'book addiction'.

This isn't necessarily a rebuttal of your point. But my friends scold me for my book addiction regularly. Last year when we drew names for Christmas gifts, she told the guy who got my name that he was not allowed to get me any books or giftcards to bookstores.

When my birthday rolled around last month she nearly flipped her lid about the fact that I got b&n giftcards from people. If we go into a bookstore together, she will not let me buy more than one book no matter how good of deal I get. I probably read about three or four books month (which really... isn't that much).

I know I could go to a library, but none of the libraries around here have a very good selection of books. :-\

And this is why we have literacy issues in this country  :-o

I should also clarify a bit, given how Marigold was acting, yeah, she might need to take a break and unplug a bit. But I think my other point does stand, if Hannelore had had another all nighter and was having trouble functioning due to lack of sleep and Dora, Marten or anyone else told her she was grounded from cleaning for three days she'd have a pretty severe reaction and the forum would likely vilify the person in question who said it. It also might help if anyone other than Hannelore ever tried dropping by, even if only just to say hello to Marigold or hang out with her, as it is she might be afraid of going out to hang out with them or do something because she might feel they are ambivalent about her company.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook
« Reply #212 on: 18 Aug 2011, 23:46 »

You need better friends that actually read books...or at the very least don't complain about somebody that does.

And this is why we have literacy issues in this country  :-o
I lol'd hard.

VonKleist

« Reply #213 on: 18 Aug 2011, 23:57 »

That´s really, really sad :|

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #214 on: 19 Aug 2011, 00:07 »

Thirty thousand for a robot chassis? That sounds like something really special. Not like this, surely?  :lol:

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious
« Reply #215 on: 19 Aug 2011, 00:23 »

Thirty thousand for a robot chassis? That sounds like something really special. Not like this, surely?  :lol:
that's exactly what I was thinking of! (just couldn't remember how far back it was to reference)

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #216 on: 19 Aug 2011, 00:31 »

You need better friends that actually read books...or at the very least don't complain about somebody that does.

Oh the main one who gets onto me about it reads a lot too. It was one of the things we bonded over when we first met.  She just thinks I need to "get out there" more or something along those lines. She's one of my best friends so she does it out of love and concern that I'm "hiding" behind my books or whatever. But, it grates on my very last nerve sometimes.

And this is why we have literacy issues in this country  :-o
I lol'd hard.

I also lol'd hard at the literacy comment.  :-D
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 00:34 by musicalsoul »

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #217 on: 19 Aug 2011, 00:40 »

I should also clarify a bit, given how Marigold was acting, yeah, she might need to take a break and unplug a bit. But I think my other point does stand, if Hannelore had had another all nighter and was having trouble functioning due to lack of sleep and Dora, Marten or anyone else told her she was grounded from cleaning for three days she'd have a pretty severe reaction and the forum would likely vilify the person in question who said it. It also might help if anyone other than Hannelore ever tried dropping by, even if only just to say hello to Marigold or hang out with her, as it is she might be afraid of going out to hang out with them or do something because she might feel they are ambivalent about her company.

I totally get where you're coming from. And you're probably right, people probably would vilify someone if they did that to Hannelore because she has serious neuroses. I personally wouldn't, because it might be something that could help her in the long run. I think Hannelore is just trying to help Marigold be a little less of a shut-in, but you're right that no one else ever seems to stop by to say hi to her or hang out with her. The one time Faye went over there to chill with Marigold it was really just an excuse to see Angus. And I definitely get the whole being worried about going out of the way to try and hang out with people who may or may not want your company. I grew up a very shy kid, and while I've mostly gotten over it, sometimes picking up the phone to call someone I've never called before still scares the living daylights out of me, because I'll be afraid they won't wanna talk to me.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #218 on: 19 Aug 2011, 02:07 »

I just want to say that reading "Eel Handlings" creeped me the fuck out.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #219 on: 19 Aug 2011, 02:21 »

Oh good, I was worried I was alone on that front. I did think it was kind of sweet how Marigold told Momo that she liked her how she was. Though I also am a bit surprised that AnthroPCs could get jobs. I mean I guess it makes sense, and implies that they have at least some semblance of rights, but since they can be purchased I'm also seeing big abuse potential.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #220 on: 19 Aug 2011, 02:33 »

Though I also am a bit surprised that AnthroPCs could get jobs. I mean I guess it makes sense, and implies that they have at least some semblance of rights,...
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1900

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #221 on: 19 Aug 2011, 03:17 »

85m secs -- approx 2 3/4 years old: When I was a lot younger I calculated a year to be approx 31.6m secs.

{edit} I can't remember where it was but ISTR a strip in which Winslow and Pintsize discuss AnthoPCs getting the vote (which had just happened).
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 03:20 by HiFranc »
Francisco

riot_invoked

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #222 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:26 »

Momo has ~97TB of storage?!  :-o

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #223 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:29 »

Edit: After posting it and a few more random thoughts, equating the two actually does seem more sensible in the fact that both Hanners and Marigold are socially ... "off," for lack of a better term, and both would like to be not so "off" but neither has *quite* grasped that their OCD and Gaming, respectively, is really what's preventing them. Hanners went on a mock date, true, but we haven't seen much more come from that outing.

Hanners has improved a lot in the time she's been introduced. She says before meeting Marten, she had no friends: http://questionablecontent.net./view.php?comic=1145 Now she has a group of friends and part-time job that involves constant customer service. Marigold hasn't been around nearly as long but she hasn't made near as much progress.

I'd agree that Hanners is the one mostly reaching out to Marigold and the rest of the group, while happy to hang out with her, don't go out of their ways to do so. Not saying they have to do that but Marigold probably should be trying as well. It's not as if she doesn't have people to hang out with or could just go to CoD to have a chat, assuming that's convenient for her.

I think since people are saying Hanners should take Marigold out to get her mind off games, this might lead to Marigold hanging out with the band. That could be interesting.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #224 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:05 »

Momo has ~97TB of storage?!  :-o
I'd assume she has 128 TB maximal capacity.

The used up space is filled with hentai.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #225 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:16 »

Momo has ~97TB of storage?!  :-o
Err, so what ?

The human brain, they say, has 200 TB RAM. So 97 TB seems to be about right for an artificial AI that needs to have enough power to act as if its an intelligent lifeform.

Your fascination reminds me of the guys who, about 15 years ago, have been super impressed by a machine that hat, whow, unbelievable 24 MB of RAM. When normal home computers had 4 or 8 MB of RAM.

But at the same time I was working all the time at unix work stations that had 64 MB of RAM and their fascination silently amused me quite a lot.

Today even the oldest and weakest computer I know of in my environment has 1 GB RAM (and is swapping a lot), my one year old notebook has 4 GB RAM (the lowest that model can have in the first place, and as notebook memory is extremely expensive, I'm not gonna get more than that) and my next computer will probably have 8 or 16 GB RAM.

And Harddisks are kind of stuck at 2 TB size since about 2 years or so, because they did not only hit a definition problem (cant boot from HDs larger than 2TB because many bios cant handle it, but they also hit a physical barrier and the future probably lies in SSDs which apparently get cheaper by the minute. My one year old notebook has a 256 GB SSD which, back then, cost 700 Euro. Nowadays you can already get the same size for half the price. 256 GB is not very much, by the way.

So yeah, I expect that in 10 to 20 years, 100 TB could be the normal storage size of home computers.

Also, about actually getting 97 TB of memory: We are already seeing 3 TB harddisks, so making a disk array that has 97 TB storage is no biggie. One 3 TB cost about 120 Euro right now, and with no redundancy you would need 33 of them, for a total of 33*120 = 3960 Euro. Lets also factor in that HD producers are computing their TBs in a creative way (1 TB = 1,000,000,000,000 Byte to them, while usually 1 TB = 1024*1024*1024*1024 Byte = 1,099,511,627,776 Byte), so thats another 10% we want on top (puts us at 36 HDs), and add that we of course want redundancy. Lets get that ZFS of Solaris and make an X3 array of X3 arrays, i.e. we need 3 more systems in it. So we get 9*9 disks now, which is 81, for a total cost of 81*120 = 9720 for the hard disks alone. Then we also need processing power to compute all the redundancy, and storage space etc, so lets double the price for the whole system, then we would need to pay just about 20,000 Euro for this now.

Yeah, more expensive than your average computer. But far from being beyond imagination.

Granted, we cant carry around such an array. But its save to assume that in 10 to 20 years, we WILL be able to carry around such amounts of data.

« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 05:26 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #226 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:32 »

I guess there's not really a '14 Elm Grove Ln' in Northampton....

Yes, I looked.

:oops:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #227 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:45 »

Oh good, I was worried I was alone on that front.

Seriously.. what is she going to do with the poor eels? put them on down her skirt like on that alternative version of one of the strips?? Ugh...  :psyduck:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #228 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:54 »

Your fascination reminds me of the guys who, about 15 years ago, have been super impressed by a machine that hat, whow, unbelievable 24 MB of RAM. When normal home computers had 4 or 8 MB of RAM.

<snip>

Don't get me started on the changes in computer storage...  I'm too old, as are a lot of us on the forum. 

[GOM]I remember wondering how the hell I would ever fill a 10 KILO byte hard drive! [/GOM]
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #229 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:21 »

[GOM]2 As a student I got to use Oxford University's computer - yes, singular. [/GOM]
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #230 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:38 »

Aaaah, 1995... The year I had sex for the first time.

Mmmmmh, maybe I shouldn't post shit like that...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #231 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:50 »

I just looked on my hard drive: I actually have at least 66 documents/files that were created BEFORE 1995 on here.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

sharpreed

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #232 on: 19 Aug 2011, 07:24 »

On the issue of the coyote...I stand partially corrected. Seeing as I had only seen the episode 1 time and that was years ago I'm not upset about it.

On today's comic, it shows the extent of Marigold's obsession, and her self awareness of the problem. I like it and think it'll present a great opportunity to explore her character more in depth and her growth could run parallel to Marten's.

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #233 on: 19 Aug 2011, 08:53 »

Dual ER-PPC's and six medium lasers?  Yer gonna need a lot of heatsinks for that load-out...   :-P

As for Hanners and Marigold both being socially 'off' -- I'd say that Marigold is a lot more socially awkward than Hannelore.  I mean, way back when H's original appearance, she was a somewhat snarky but well-adjusted chick.  
(I wonder if we'll ever see Hanners *back* on medication with that personality re-appearing...probably not, b/c quirky-neurotic-cute Hanners is more entertaining.)  But Hannelore has always been a lot more willing to stretch boundaries -- joining in with beer sledding, karaoke, touching a toilet seat to show up her mom -- while Marigold seems to need that push.

Nah, she'd look silly with a neck beard.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #234 on: 19 Aug 2011, 09:03 »

As for Hanners and Marigold both being socially 'off' -- I'd say that Marigold is a lot more socially awkward than Hannelore.  I mean, way back when H's original appearance, she was a somewhat snarky but well-adjusted chick.
SHE WAS STALKING MARTEN.

Anyway... most of that personality seems to have been retconned out of existence.

I know, right? Marigold has different interests and needs, therefore she's a freak. Charming.

I am glad we live in a world of tolerance. Allegedly.

What I get from this anecdote is that your friend doesn't understand you and wants to exert an undue influence over your life. She doesn't sound very nice to me.

Was I supposed to get something different?

I now see this story was intended to start out the forum's "Kick Marigold" arc. Because she functions a little differently than most people, and because she has different drives, that's a problem. Society treats difference from the norm as pathological, yes.

Just to clarify, I don't think there's anything wrong with Marigold taking a short break from games even if it is an enforced break. Such things can be an interesting opportunity to explore the role of a given pastime in one's life. I also don't think there's anything wrong with her going right back to her normal ways afterwards. Occasionally pulling an all-nighter when you have no reason to get up early the next day is no big.

What I have a problem with is the sheer hypocrisy of Hannelore being the one to do it. That's just... so laughable.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 09:15 by TheBiscuit »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #235 on: 19 Aug 2011, 09:55 »

Hmmm.. I dunno. It´s rather how you put it, is it not?
You might go the same way by saying "oh, it´s not about how to reconcile yourself with society's increasingly restrictive demands on our behaviour, but how to get all the chemicals in your head into just the right mix so as not to feel blue" and still... feels hinky.

Another way of expressing what I meant is this:

Society treats difference from the norm as pathological, yes.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #236 on: 19 Aug 2011, 09:58 »

The situations are related, but not the same. Hannelore is driven by a brain chemistry problem, she is aware that it's a problem, and 709 shows that she can push herself to override it and diversify her experiences.

Marigold is doing things with long-term health consequences.

On another topic, there is an Elm Court Road in Northampton. We now have addresses for five characters. My urge for trivia collection is gratified. I've updated the wiki.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

VonKleist

« Reply #237 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:08 »

You ever suffered from any mental disorder?
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 10:13 by VonKleist »

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #238 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:25 »

The situations are related, but not the same. Hannelore is driven by a brain chemistry problem, she is aware that it's a problem, and 709 shows that she can push herself to override it and diversify her experiences.

Marigold is doing things with long-term health consequences.

On another topic, there is an Elm Court Road in Northampton. We now have addresses for five characters. My urge for trivia collection is gratified. I've updated the wiki.

Long term health consequences? Really? Yes, she's fairly sedentary, but again, a person who sat and read instead of the games, or watched TV/movies for the same durations that Marigold plays video games would be just as sedentary.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Employment for AnthroPCs
« Reply #239 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:29 »

I can't figure out whether this should be in a separate thread.

What kind of jobs can an AnthroPC hold?

They can make coffee (1843). Momo is a female character, so it's odd that she's not working at Coffee of Doom already.

She could probably tutor in Japanese.

If her social protocol database is sufficiently detailed, she might work at a charm school.

She could be like one of those therapy animals who visits nursing homes.

She could assist the disabled with light housework.

The Smif library had AnthroPCs, but there was nothing to suggest that they were employees.

Someone here who deserves credit for the idea, but whose name I have forgotten for the moment, has pointed out that jobs like Marten's are ripe for being taken over by robots. Which points a spotlight at the question, why haven't they? (Aside from the fact that it's a comic and designed to be funny rather than logical -- that's too dull an explanation to accept).

Is there discrimination? Marten was unwilling to drink coffee prepared by an AnthroPC. It wouldn't be the first case in history where there were lingering prejudices toward beings who were formerly property. Maybe Pintsize is just trying to live down to negative stereotypes of AnthroPCs.

EDIT: I was thinking specifically of Marigold's sleep deprivation. People keep finding more and more ways in which that causes health damage.

EDIT: Anyone else think the camera angles in this strip were a nice touch?

EDIT: Momo is 2.7 years old? That's getting up there by analogy with laptops, which have about a 3-year life cycle. She was said to be Sony's latest model, which implies slow releases on Sony's part.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 11:31 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #240 on: 19 Aug 2011, 11:13 »

(moderator)
If one person didn't know about it, possibly others didn't:
Bearhat Guy rule
(/moderator)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Nick and Marla

• Plantmonster
« Reply #241 on: 19 Aug 2011, 11:40 »

Oh look, a Suzumiya background. ^.^
If I'm being an jerk, I'm Nick.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: Employment for AnthroPCs
« Reply #242 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:01 »

Someone here who deserves credit for the idea, but whose name I have forgotten for the moment, has pointed out that jobs like Marten's are ripe for being taken over by robots. Which points a spotlight at the question, why haven't they? (Aside from the fact that it's a comic and designed to be funny rather than logical...

Yeah, that would be me.  I've always wondered why the robots weren't doing jobs around town as they wouldn't have the same problems employing a human would, but disregarded it as they're just there for comic relief and you aren't supposed to take them seriously.  But now one is applying for a job, which causes a world of questions that have no rational answers.  I'm going to try and avoid this one, it just ruins all logic in QC and kills it for me if I take it seriously.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #243 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:07 »

You ever suffered from any mental disorder?
Are you asking me or PWHodges?  You're quoting PWHodges, but the last line in that quote is mine, so...?

In any case, I take pills to stop me from having too much anxiety. There might be a ten-dollar word for that, but... it escapes me right now. The truth of the matter is, at this point I take pills because I'm addicted to them. For all I know I might not need them for their original purpose anymore, but I tried to stop taking them once and the results were agonising. I can only assume that is what they call "withdrawal symptoms". I'm a little less than comfortable with that realization, frankly...

To go into the implications of that question, and that answer... I'm perfectly comfortable with this particular difference from the norm being pathologised. It isn't very nice, you see. If it was a difference from the norm with which I was comfortable and which caused no apparent problems in my life, I might feel different, but panic attacks are not pleasant. I most strongly recommend you never have one.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 12:10 by TheBiscuit »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #244 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:15 »

Maybe more jobs are unionized in the QC world, and there are contractual barriers to hiring AnthroPCs?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #245 on: 19 Aug 2011, 13:52 »

Wait...isn't she a computer?  Why is she using a separate computer to type up her resume?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #246 on: 19 Aug 2011, 13:58 »

Maybe that computer is where the printer is attached?

Does anyone use hardcopy resumes any more?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #247 on: 19 Aug 2011, 14:13 »

The coolest middle name in QC is:

Louise (Marigold)    - 4 (4.5%)
Ann (Penelope)    - 3 (3.4%)
Scarlett (Faye)    - 14 (15.7%)
Maria (Dora)    - 0 (0%)
Tiberion (Marten)    - 21 (23.6%)
Lovelace (Hannelore)    - 17 (19.1%)
Stephano (Steve)    - 1 (1.1%)
Kristin (Tai)    - 2 (2.2%)
Raven (Blodwyn)    - 19 (21.3%)
Sixtythree (Pintsize)    - 1 (1.1%)
i (Winslow)    - 0 (0%)
Waffles.    - 2 (2.2%)
Jacques (he's hidden his real last name all along!)    - 5 (5.6%)

Total Voters: 89
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 14:38 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #248 on: 19 Aug 2011, 14:22 »

Wait...isn't she a computer?  Why is she using a separate computer to type up her resume?
Their role as computers is massively downplayed.  Marigold uses a traditional computer to access WoW, when it would be far more logical for Momo to temporarily hook herself up to a monitor, keyboard and mouse for the duration of the game. Marten seems to never use Pintsize for any useful purpose, largely because he can't be trusted to perform it right. That particular problem doesn't seem to apply to Momo or Winslow (the only other AnthroPCs we're well acquainted with) but their owners seem to prefer using a traditional PC for most things too. Certainly I can't recall any time at which we saw anyone actually making use of an AnthroPC, can you?

They seem to function as expensive pets for the most part. Maybe Marigold uses Momo as a file repository, considering her frankly amazing amount of storage.  I know technology is a bit more advanced in the world of QC, but that's a lot. The biggest hard drives currently on sale seem to be about 4TB, and you could maybe stuff about five of them into a single PC if you wanted to... which still gives Momo a capacity about five times what can reasonably be achieved in a single device in our world.

Not to mention she's a lot smaller than any device I can think of which could hold the estimated five giant hard drives.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #249 on: 19 Aug 2011, 14:45 »

Here's my guess on the AnthroPC question:

You can access the internet on your Xbox 360, Wii or PS3, but for the more mundane stuff - e-mail, documents, bill paying, etc. - you just use your regular PC or laptop.

As for the whole property vs. person-hood: I suspect that the constitutional amendment was only for the state of Massachusetts, and not nationally. As far as we know, the US government is still using sentient robots for defense purposes (cue Agent Turing). Yes, the (rather liberally minded) state of MA may have given citizenship to APC's, but to the rest of the country (and world) they're still computers and property.

However, I suspect that the real answer to the whole question was answered by Donald P. Bellisario, and echoed by Joel Hodgson.

It's funnier that way.

Oh, yeah, there's the Rule of Funny, too... which I won't link to, since I've already sucked you into the Troper Vortex (muh-wah-ha-ha-HA...)
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 14:47 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up