THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 15:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Simple question: Old Momo or New?

Old Momo-tan. Her old chassis is adorable!
- 14 (23%)
New chassis! She could become a regular cast member!
- 26 (42.6%)
She needs some more upgrades.
- 1 (1.6%)
New chassis - if only to tick off Pintsize
- 14 (23%)
MOAR TOASTERRRRR!!!
- 2 (3.3%)
Toaster - only because we like waffles.
- 4 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 22-26 August 2011 (1996-2000)  (Read 133541 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT 22-26 August 2011 (1996-2000)
« Reply #100 on: 22 Aug 2011, 21:20 »

There's been speculation that Marten got Pintsize as a gift from his mother, which might explain some things about Pintsize. There has been nothing in the comic to substantiate this, and everything points to Pintsize being an entry-level computer that's easy to afford.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #101 on: 22 Aug 2011, 21:23 »

Given that today's comic already referenced one of the more obscure fictional AI's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rei_Toei - Idoru by  William Gibson) ... quite possible!
I am so glad that I'm not the only one nerdy enough to have picked that up. I don't know if Jeph also intended to reference the Japanese cultural phenomenon that lies behind the novel. The sign "The Idoru Handmaiden Series" might suggest it. Would Idoru be the manufacturer? iDoru?  :angel:
The Japanese cultural phenomenon was all I got from it, I wouldn't have known it was a literary ref. Nice.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #102 on: 22 Aug 2011, 22:01 »

I have a funny feeling we've already seen Momo's choice of chassis...

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #103 on: 22 Aug 2011, 22:20 »

Ah, now we know why this A.I. chooses to sell other A.I.s! She's an evil megalomanic holding the world hostage and will blow us all to the ninth level of hell if we don't let her do whatever the hell she wants. Cool.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #104 on: 22 Aug 2011, 22:49 »

I notice that the chassies in the background do not have antennae mounted over their ears. I wonder if Leda's are standard, or just an accessory for... I don't know... communicating with missile launch systems?

I don't believe in Marigold's hair bunches. Considering how long her hair is when down (well below the shoulder-blades at the back), the bunches are way too short. These were more like it.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2011, 23:02 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #105 on: 22 Aug 2011, 22:58 »

Ohh, Momo... why did you assume Marigold was going to get rid of you? Just for asking about that new chassis? When she broached the topic before you did? She wouldn't do that, she likes you. She has (as was previously noted in the thread) somewhat more regard for AnthroPCs than most people do.

So... who else is willing to bet that either she picks out a chassis which is still comparable in size to her current model, OR that she does choose a life-size model, but finds it embarrassing or awkward and returns it in favour of her old chassis within a couple of weeks? Or maybe I'm wrong and she'll keep it and start a relationship with Winslow. I bet he still has that chassis Hannelore's father along...

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #106 on: 22 Aug 2011, 23:22 »

Nutso AnthroPC in strip today

So, should we worry about Pintsize, given he is a Military Chassis sans "fricking laser beams."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #107 on: 22 Aug 2011, 23:25 »

Wasn't Winslow uncomfortable in boyfriendbot?

Hannelore was planning to send it back, and while many people would never get around to it, Hannelore doesn't seem like the type to leave an unused object around collecting dust.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #108 on: 22 Aug 2011, 23:30 »

I like how her eyes turn red when she's in supervillain mode.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #109 on: 22 Aug 2011, 23:32 »

So, should we worry about Pintsize, given he is a Military Chassis sans "fricking laser beams."

If you run XP Home Edition on a rackmount server, is it still a server? As far as we know Pintsize has been in the civilian world for his entire existence, so he probably doesn't know any classified military information. (At least we hope not...) All the military grade chassis gives him is durability.

I don't believe in Marigold's hair bunches. Considering how long her hair is when down (well below the shoulder-blades at the back), the bunches are way too short. These were more like it.

I think they make her look like an overgrown toddler. I don't know, pigtails just don't look right on someone old enough to buy alcohol. VV

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #110 on: 22 Aug 2011, 23:36 »

I notice that the chassies in the background do not have antennae mounted over their ears. I wonder if Leda's are standard, or just an accessory for... I don't know... communicating with missile launch systems?

Maybe she did that weird thing where someone uses their hair and a ponytail holder thing?

I don't really know how to describe it better than that... although, I don't know if that'd actually make their hair look shorter. Although  her hair also seems to have gotten shorter. I mean in http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1964 her hair is midway down her back, but it also seems to be layered to where the illusion of shorter hair might exist if viewed from the front. Especially when you consider how it looked just a few strips earlier: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1959. But it also seems that it's shorter in the back here http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1993 So maybe she got it cut and the pigtails would be shorter, especially if she wore them up high?

But, I do think I'm with you in not believing they could be that short, cause my hair is actually about that length, and I'm pretty sure that no matter how high I put the pigtails on my head they'd still come down to my shoulders. Hers don't even make it to her chin.  :| :psyduck:

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #111 on: 22 Aug 2011, 23:40 »

Oh, Momo, I love Marigold loves you the way you are. Don't go for all full size chassis, please...

Mind you, I would find it a tad creepy, if adult size AnthroPCs become the norm. These pet size robots are just endearing, but adult size ones might be ... threatening? May be it is my carbon vs. silicone bigotry showing? Is the time ripe for a QCverse version of 'the campaign for equal heights'?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #112 on: 22 Aug 2011, 23:44 »

Wasn't Winslow uncomfortable in boyfriendbot?
People change their mind about stuff for no reason every other strip in this comic. Besides... was it the chassis he found uncomfortable or the situation? If it is made eminently clear that Hannelore doesn't want or expect any kind of romance from him, he might be a bit more comfortable with it. I do believe Winslow has a crush on Hannelore, but it seems to me that he's placed her on a pedestal so high it makes him dizzy to think about reaching her.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #113 on: 23 Aug 2011, 00:04 »

I'm sorry, folks, but I can't resist.

Trapped in machines, then she asked for transfer,
But we forgot all of the codes,
SHE TRIED TO KILL US WITH A FORKLIFT!
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #114 on: 23 Aug 2011, 00:13 »

I seem to recall Flynn typing out a conversation with Tron, or maybe it was Bradley, or maybe Flynn was typing to Clu, I don't know, it's been a little while, but in any case, it seemed similar to the MCP in that respect. It's true though, all of the "programs" in Tron seemed more like AI, so it was harder to make the distinction.

You're kind of misremembering.  All the communication between users and programs is done by command line instructions, but the users verbalise what the commands do for the benefit of the audience.  Alan appears to have a conversation with Tron in the I/O Tower, but that's just how the program sees the commands being given to it.  

Programs have to respond to commands from a User but have some freedom of expression in how they do it; they also take on a lot of their author's personality as well as their appearance.  However, this is all a function of receiving input.  The programs on the Game Grid maintain a certain level of personality because they're being interacted with constantly by players, but programs receiving only data input - like Yori when we first meet her - become automatons in the system, speaking in machine code and unable to go outside their defined functions.  

Tron and Clu-2 are almost AIs - they were written to operate without any user input and to a fairly loose set of parameters - but the only actual AIs in the movies are the MCP in the first and the Isos in the second.
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #115 on: 23 Aug 2011, 02:28 »

Gosh, these recent strips are beginning to remind me more and more of Chobits. Has anybody else watched that series?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #116 on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:29 »

Tron and Clu-2 are almost AIs - they were written to operate without any user input and to a fairly loose set of parameters - but the only actual AIs in the movies are the MCP in the first and the Isos in the second.
Isos are more than "just" AI though; they're full up hi-res simulations of human(ish?) bodies, with nervous systems and bones etc, just like an Encoded User, except they were never encoded by the laser thing and originated in the Grid. All the Program Avatars you see are basically textured hollow shells, just like any other 3D computer model you might find. What's "inside" them is their code and little else whereas if you look inside an Iso you find meat, or at least a highly accurate simulation of meat - they're an extra layer of abstraction above the regular Program interface.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

westrim

« Reply #117 on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:35 »

Gosh, these recent strips are beginning to remind me more and more of Chobits. Has anybody else watched that series?
So long as Momo doesn't have an off switch in her vagina (or, for that matter, a vagina), that comparison is okay by me.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #118 on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:40 »

So long as Momo doesn't have an off switch in her vagina (or, for that matter, a vagina)

Where you think she's keepin' all them eels?  :psyduck:
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #119 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:30 »

I knew I wasn't alone in this.... That's why the latest couple of strips has been a little creepy for me. I still like the series though. Amusing.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #120 on: 23 Aug 2011, 05:45 »

Errrrr .....What is the "most famous fictional AI" ?  :?

Your answer is in your list - next Monday's comic is number 2001. 

Eh, that's very debatable.  While I'm a big fan of HAL, there are more famous fictional A.I.'s...C-3P0, for instance.

Agreed.

Personally, I would have been torn for the first place between Data and R2-D2.

2001 isnt exactly a very enjoyable movie, it drives modern watchers nuts with its slowness.
Carpe Diem

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #121 on: 23 Aug 2011, 05:55 »

It also drives those of us who were living in 1969 crazy with the idea that we're never gonna be able to take PanAm for our vacation to an orbiting Space Station.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #122 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:22 »

2001 isnt exactly a very enjoyable movie, it drives modern watchers nuts with its slowness.
Speak for yourself! Regardless of the merits of 2001, quotations from HAL's dialogue are instantly recognisable to the point of cliché more than 40 years after the movie was released. I can't think of anything that Data or C3PO said that has the same recognition now, and we'll have to wait to determine how much they're remembered after 40 years. Actually, the only other AI/robot lines I can think of that approach HAL's for recognition in pop culture would be "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #123 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:32 »

It would be pretty amusing to me if Jeph counted (or had someone else count, I dunno) the filler/guest strips he did, then subtracted those from the total, and did something special on the next large round number of the remainder, which would be all Jeph-drawn non-filler QC strips. I sincerely doubt this will happen, but like I said, it would be amusing, since I doubt many (I won't say no one has) have kept track of this number.

.......I am fighting the urge to do this. I've been wanting to reread the comic in its entirety for the last few weeks but my need for productivity is getting in the way  :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Taigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #124 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:33 »

Wow.  Ok, I think I just started shipping Leda/Pintsize.  True, it would likely mean the end of the world, but they just say "soulmates" to me.

...either that or they would destroy each other.  Either way it could be fun to watch.   :laugh:

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #125 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:34 »

I liked it so much i have the first 5 episodes on my iphone. Chi's chassis would be a nice upgrade (IMO) but one of that kids maids chassis might be better.
*was getting tired of that slug*

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #126 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:42 »

On second thought I was also thinking Nano from Nichijou (without the wind up key of course) might make an even better chassis. Mmmmm cake roll.
*was getting tired of that slug*

kent_eh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #127 on: 23 Aug 2011, 07:04 »

there are probably tools available to perform a transfer. ..... I expect the AnthroPC itself is required (by the nature of the tools) to electronically consent to being transferred. Only makes sense.

It seems pretty straightforward.
Hanners and Winslow were able to transfer Winslow for BoyfriendBot and back without anyone else's help.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #128 on: 23 Aug 2011, 07:10 »

And Marten backed up and restored Pintsize when he got his new chassis.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #129 on: 23 Aug 2011, 07:23 »

I'm with Akima on this one, speak for yourself. I loved the movie from the first time I saw it 3 years ago.

I would fix that post for you though... It drives modern and mainstream watchers nuts. Of course that people who only likes to see the latest movie in the cinema and absolutely nothing else won't get the movie and appreciate the way it's done.

Edit: I know that there are people around that actually enjoy and know about movies and don't really like 2001 but I see them as minority and I have seen both IRL and online that most people who dislike 2001 don't actually watch movies besides the latest flavour of the month.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2011, 07:28 by Mr. Doctor »

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #130 on: 23 Aug 2011, 07:25 »

Speak for yourself! Regardless of the merits of 2001, quotations from HAL's dialogue are instantly recognisable to the point of cliché more than 40 years after the movie was released. I can't think of anything that Data or C3PO said that has the same recognition now, and we'll have to wait to determine how much they're remembered after 40 years. Actually, the only other AI/robot lines I can think of that approach HAL's for recognition in pop culture would be "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"

I don't think we can determine fame by how quotable someone is.   Just because HAL is quoted in mainstream media doesn't mean people will bother to investigate the source material.  They won't know it's alluding to HAL and they won't care.

But on that note, the Terminator and the "I'll be back" would likely be more recognizable by people today.

gangler

« Reply #131 on: 23 Aug 2011, 08:57 »

I was actually reminded more of Chachamaru, though I see how chobits matches the whole computing angle of this better. She looked better before she had her joints smoothed out. I like that we're not going out of our way to make the robots indistinguishable from people here. If you're gonna make a robot with high end plastics instead of harsher metals then the joints are really essential to the look. Jeph did a very good job of capturing that. Leda is really quite pretty^^

What was Pintsize gonna say there? Sounded like he was going for the Starwolf meme but then they threw me off with Space Odyssey.

Regarding Winslowe I think we're all most comfortable in a certain type of body. The boyfriendbot either didn't meet his tastes, or contradicted some part of his self identity, or who knows what? Either way being able to just transfer to a more appropriate body probably does simplify that whole matter.

westrim

« Reply #132 on: 23 Aug 2011, 09:24 »

The Starwolf quote from Starfox is derived from 2001 That's why it was funny, it was already in everyone's brain. All that Pintsize was going to finish with was "do that."

I know no quotes of Marvin, just that he was depressed- and I don't think I'd know even that if I wasn't interested in scifi and getting around to the Hitchhikers Guide someday.

Other widely known 2001 quotes include "good morning Dave," "open the pod bay doors, HAL," and "This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it." It also gave us a lot of indelible imagery, like the monolith, the protohumans fighting, bone becomes spaceship match cut, Dave's helmet cam, and probably some other stuff, but aside from HAL's optical sensor they don't have much to do with AI.

gangler

« Reply #133 on: 23 Aug 2011, 09:31 »

Wow. That actually is pretty impressive. I didn't realize all that came from that movie. "This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it." in particular I would not have assumed to have any particular origin. Just something you say in those types of situations.

Sounds like whether or not HAL is famous or recognizable, it was at the very least very culturally influential.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #134 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:01 »

The crazy thing is how right after you watch the movie.. you start to see so many programs doing some parodies or tributes to that movie. Simpsons for example.

Gangler: If you want you can try to see if you recognise one here
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2011, 10:03 by Mr. Doctor »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #135 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:17 »

Another "modern watcher" who loves 2001 here, although sadly, plenty of people don't.  But it's hardly a modern thing, it wasn't even nominated for Best Picture.  At least Citizen Kane had Hearst to blame for it not winning, but at least that was nominated.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #136 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:56 »

Other widely known 2001 quotes include "good morning Dave," "open the pod bay doors, HAL," and "This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it." It also gave us a lot of indelible imagery, like the monolith, the protohumans fighting, bone becomes spaceship match cut, Dave's helmet cam, and probably some other stuff, but aside from HAL's optical sensor they don't have much to do with AI.
It had style, no doubt about that. I like those aspects, but I don't like it as a film because... I can't really get a handle on the narrative.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #137 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:59 »

I have. The comparison is pretty hard to miss for anyone who is aware of both. I think I prefer the QC take on it though.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #138 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:53 »

And don't forget "Thus spake Zarathustra", the famous opening music.  Not to mention watching the space station revolve to the Blue Danube waltz...

it was a revolutionary movie, as were a lot of other Kubrick works. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #139 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:59 »

Of course, not only the quotes but also the visuals are imfluential. I'll bet that all the people (except those who saw the movie) were totally "wtf?" when this episode of The Simpsons was showed:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #140 on: 23 Aug 2011, 12:20 »

I know no quotes of Marvin,

Not even something along the lines of: "I've got this pain in the diodes down my left side"
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #141 on: 23 Aug 2011, 12:39 »

Quote from: Marvin the Paranoid Android
The first ten million years were the worst, and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of decline.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #142 on: 23 Aug 2011, 14:37 »

I have a funny feeling we've already seen Momo's choice of chassis...

Note that the one in her daydream is even more "human" than the models we've seen so far. No visible seams at the joints, etc. It's quite likely those exist as well, though it's probably difficult to buy a chassis like that without causing some raised eyebrows.

(On that note, I wonder how human/AI relationships are seen in society. I mean, it sounds like that actually happened.)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #143 on: 23 Aug 2011, 15:21 »

What is really making me feel old is that I remember seeing 2010 in theaters - and thinking that it was the better of the two movies.

Anyways: our little saleslady needs to NEVER run into Pintsize. Or bad things would happen. Bad things, man.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #144 on: 23 Aug 2011, 16:24 »

2010 in theaters - and thinking that it was the better of the two movies.
Huh... And I thought there were opinion that just didn't exist. I was wrong.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #145 on: 23 Aug 2011, 16:30 »

What sticks with me about "2001": Humans will do their damndest to be banal in the midst of grandeur ("Let's see ... ham, ham, ham ...") Also, HAL was the most human of all the characters.

What sticks with me about "2010": Roy Scheider is sticking his elbow into a rocket nozzle.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

rje

« Reply #146 on: 23 Aug 2011, 16:38 »

It had style, no doubt about that. I like those aspects, but I don't like it as a film because... I can't really get a handle on the narrative.

This is how I feel, tho I wanna more say I don't like it as a film to watch. I saw the whole thing, loved a lot of the visuals, disliked others, generally could kind of follow what it was trying to say, but on a whole, as a whole, I really just couldn't get into it, y'know? I found it draggy and tiring to watch. I can totally admit there are films that are brilliant in construction but I still just don't like watching them.
I freaking love A Clockwork Orange though.
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #147 on: 23 Aug 2011, 16:55 »

Deliciously ironic. Did you mean to do that?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #148 on: 23 Aug 2011, 17:08 »

What is really making me feel old is that I remember seeing 2010 in theaters - and thinking that it was the better of the two movies.
2010 isn't a bad movie, it just suffers by comparison with 2001. 2001 is a flawed masterpiece, while 2010 is merely competent. And was Roy Scheider the Nicholas Cage of his generation, or what?

2010 airbrushes-out non-white people much more obviously too. Kubric merely changed the name of HAL's creator/trainer, a character who never appears on-screen, from Chandra to Langley. 2010 keeps the Chandra character (explicitly and relevantly Indian in the book), but casts a white actor to play him (because of course there are no Indian actors...). 2010 also airbrushes the entire Chinese space-mission out of the film. Scientific knowledge and space exploration were still strictly for people of European descent.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2011, 17:18 by Akima »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #149 on: 23 Aug 2011, 17:35 »

Leda is Skynet
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up