Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Momo likes the new chassis!
- 3 (4.8%)
Momo hugs!
- 3 (4.8%)
Perhaps you should buy a humidifier too.
- 1 (1.6%)
Do you not recognize me, Pintsize? It's me. Momo.
- 5 (7.9%)
Momo Robo Beatdown! (Hurf Durf)
- 2 (3.2%)
I'll give her five more minutes...
- 1 (1.6%)
It was nice of Hannelore to give some of her old clothes.
- 2 (3.2%)
I can cook for you!
- 0 (0%)
I can also reach your head to smack you upside it...
- 4 (6.3%)
I really do love you, Marigold. "I love you too."
- 6 (9.5%)
You're gonna make Angus cry.
- 3 (4.8%)
THERE WAS A CAT ON THE STAIRS AND I'M ALLERGIC.
- 13 (20.6%)
No offense, but it's hard to sleep with you sitting there staring...
- 1 (1.6%)
Spooning Momo!
- 16 (25.4%)
But I am too big to fit on the dresser anymore!
- 3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)  (Read 138895 times)

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
Re: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)
« Reply #50 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:06 »

Also... note the position of Momo's head, do all AI's in this world just love the feel of breasts? So far we've had "It wath worth it" and creepy autonomous hand, this is turning into a trend.

She's shorter than Marigold.  Not much choice! 
1) She seems to be stooping. There's a distinct curve to her back. Looks like if she was standing tall she'd be resting her head on Marigold's collarbone...

2) How funny an explanation is that?

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #51 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:11 »

I want that last panel as a background by the way. It's just the most adorable panel, especially what Momo said in it. Honestly cuteness overload there.

Adama

« Reply #52 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:15 »

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that both nosebleeds in this strip occurred when Marigold was touched more-than-casually by one of the robots.  Maybe there's another reason for them.  ;)

Has it already been remarked on how less-visible the new chassis' seams are than any of the other units in the store?  How easy would it be for Momo to pass for human?

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #53 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:16 »

Um...who can resist those boobs? :p
Perhaps an artificial intelligence which doesn't have the same human cultural and biological imperatives we have? It may interest you to know that breasts are not considered sexual in every culture around the world. I suppose AI are the product of the culture that gave rise to them, though. Certaily in this regard...

We know that AnthroPCs have libido... but I might have expected them to develop their own unique criteria about human female attractiveness. Just imagine the sheer potential for interesting exploration of that idea. I have no fixed ideas of what they might see as desirable in a human woman, but maybe their tastes would be somewhat more... functional. It is frequently argued that men desire that in women which is a signifier of fertility. Large breasts, wide hips, etc... AnthroPCs don't procreate with humans, so wouldn't they look for other things?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #54 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:19 »

To make matters worse, it's actually referred to in front of patients as a "Rhino Rocket."
ER doctors are some of my favourite people, but they get a bit punchy after a while.

I was thinking... The way the fourth and fifth panels are ordered makes a difference. The way Jeph presents them, Momo's "saucer eye" trick represents love, devotion and gratitude (or a convincing programmed simulation, for the organicists :wink:). If the panels were swapped over, it could be a mind-control device...

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

gangler

« Reply #55 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:19 »

Perhaps an artificial intelligence which doesn't have the same human cultural and biological imperatives we have? It may interest you to know that breasts are not considered sexual in every culture around the world. I suppose AI are the product of the culture that gave rise to them, though. Certaily in this regard...

We know that AnthroPCs have libido... but I might have expected them to develop their own unique criteria about human female attractiveness. Just imagine the sheer potential for interesting exploration of that idea. I have no fixed ideas of what they might see as desirable in a human woman, but maybe their tastes would be somewhat more... functional. It is frequently argued that men desire that in women which is a signifier of fertility. Large breasts, wide hips, etc... AnthroPCs don't procreate with humans, so wouldn't they look for other things?

Well let's go ask Pintsize.

TheCollector

« Reply #56 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:21 »

I should hope not. Cause that there is where all the freaky fetishes come in.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #57 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:28 »

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that both nosebleeds in this strip occurred when Marigold was touched more-than-casually by one of the robots.  Maybe there's another reason for them.  ;)
Taking this to the logical extreme, let us also note that being touched by Pintsize did not produce the same response as today. The difference? Pintsize is male by inclination. You can say that AIs are neither male nor female, due to their interchangeable bodies, but it appears they do choose their role and ultimately become one with it. Momo has clearly become highly accustomed to her female role. She didn't look at any male or neuter bodies. Pintsize appears to have taken on a male role, although it occurs to me now that I cannot say why without reference  to outmoded stereotypes. After all, his body is neither one thing nor the other...

Anyway, if I can call Pintsize male... does that mean that when it comes to AI, Marigold has a thing for girls? We already know that with regards to flesh creatures she does not, but  a person's preference in robots and in humans might not be the same. If she'd only had such a reaction to Momo, I'd ask if this trope might apply...

Ahh, I'm just messing. I don't think any such things are really true.

We already know his response, as I'm sure you are aware. :)

Still strikes me as odd though.

Whether AI or human, no need to judge those who enjoy something you do not. :)
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2011, 16:38 by pwhodges »

gangler

« Reply #58 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:43 »

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that both nosebleeds in this strip occurred when Marigold was touched more-than-casually by one of the robots.  Maybe there's another reason for them.  ;)
Taking this to the logical extreme, let us also note that being touched by Pintsize did not produce the same response as today. The difference? Pintsize is male by inclination. You can say that AIs are neither male nor female, due to their interchangeable bodies, but it appears they do choose their role and ultimately become one with it. Momo has clearly become highly accustomed to her female role. She didn't look at any male or neuter bodies. Pintsize appears to have taken on a male role, although it occurs to me now that I cannot say why without reference  to outmoded stereotypes. After all, his body is neither one thing nor the other...

Anyway, if I can call Pintsize male... does that mean that when it comes to AI, Marigold has a thing for girls? We already know that with regards to flesh creatures she does not, but  a person's preference in robots and in humans might not be the same. If she'd only had such a reaction to Momo, I'd ask if this trope might apply...

Ahh, I'm just messing. I don't think any such things are really true.
I'm not as well equipped for this kind of discussion as I'd like, but I'm pretty sure you're touching on the difference between gender and sex there. Male gender, neuter sex if I have that right.

We already know his response, as I'm sure you are aware. :)

Still strikes me as odd though.
If I'm being serious I'm sure an AI's taste in such things would be as diverse as a human's, but perhaps with a different set of norms. Could even still be things with a functional subtext, but not from a procreative end. Just things that would signify a healthy and versatile body in general, rather than a body specialized towards procreation. So for example breasts of a size that wouldn't cause lower back problems or impede an athlete if I were to take a guess.

Of course the other possibility is that as you mention the norms would have more to do with their cultural upbringing than anything else anyway, in which case they would pretty closely match a human's preferences. For example the child rearing hips aren't actually considered to be the predominately desirable trait within north america, despite the fact that they should in theory be something we as humans prefer and seem to have been so historically and to be so in other cultures.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #59 on: 29 Aug 2011, 16:31 »

TheBiscuit: which Trope were you trying to link to? Came up gibberish for me.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #60 on: 29 Aug 2011, 16:34 »

It's not exactly rocket-science: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitles8ehi15xdv34
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #61 on: 29 Aug 2011, 17:18 »

Oh, sorry... the BBCode here is slightly different than I'm used to. I've always put quote marks around the actual URL within the tags, but it doesn't work that way here apparently. Akima is of course correct. Note that I invoked the trope facetiously, I don't actually believe there's any such attraction regardless of how close the two may be.

Mr Hodges has kindly fixed the link before I got chance to. :)
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2011, 17:21 by TheBiscuit »

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #62 on: 29 Aug 2011, 17:49 »

the Humidifier: I make air fun...damentally easier to breathe!

Sorry; I'm just full of it today.  :evil:

Anyway, the last panel made me seriously d'aw, but I hope when they get home Marigold doesn't insist she should be able to play video games now. You're still grounded, young lady!

Then again, she probably won't be able to afford new games for awhile  :lol:
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2011, 17:52 by iduguphergrave »
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #63 on: 29 Aug 2011, 17:54 »

Um...it wasn't that deep. lol.

Anyway...yeah. The whispering in the ear, the motorboating (lol), hence, nosebleeds. Makes sense now.  :p
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #64 on: 29 Aug 2011, 18:01 »

We already know that with regards to flesh creatures she does not

*pouts*

Stop reminding me!!!!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #65 on: 29 Aug 2011, 18:44 »

The browser I was using messed up the http part.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #66 on: 29 Aug 2011, 19:43 »

Oh, sorry... the BBCode here is slightly different than I'm used to. I've always put quote marks around the actual URL within the tags, but it doesn't work that way here apparently.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #67 on: 29 Aug 2011, 20:05 »

Akima, what have we said about feeding the fetishes? 

Larger pics next time.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #68 on: 29 Aug 2011, 21:16 »

I think we can gather as much about that from Pintsize's Twitter feed...  :psyduck:
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #69 on: 29 Aug 2011, 21:19 »

Makes me think of this.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kyronea

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #70 on: 29 Aug 2011, 21:31 »

Momo-tan has officially transformed into a Chobit.

She's now going to end up in a relationship with Martin and start calling everything Martin all the time.
Another new character? There are dozens already!
Still, at least this one ought to help the male:female ratio move toward the global average.
Maybe he can be a friend for Marten. Or would the similarity of their names cause confusion? (Faye would probably call him Tin-Tin to avoid this)
Oh God damn it. I keep forgetting Marten uses an odd spelling.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #71 on: 29 Aug 2011, 21:38 »

AnthroPCs don't procreate with humans, so wouldn't they look for other things?

I think we can gather as much about that from Pintsize's Twitter feed...  :psyduck:
Ohh, yes. That thing, where I once opened a picture link and then never again ever.

Maybe Pintsize does have 'different' tastes than most humans. Maybe when they installed his libido program they installed 20 instead of just the usual one or something.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #72 on: 29 Aug 2011, 21:50 »

heh... I said in the stream last night that I couldn't wait to see momo's revenge on pintsize.

Glad I didn't have to wait very long

the smile on my face isn't going away

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!
« Reply #73 on: 29 Aug 2011, 22:07 »

Actually, if you think about it, now that Momo is so much taller than Pintsize, it should be EASIER to look under her skirt.

I'm a little ashamed I thought about it, actually.
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #74 on: 29 Aug 2011, 22:12 »

They look like an older teenaged sister and an obnoxious little brother, now. I hope Jeph keeps New Momo, both for all the new story possibilities and because years of trying to stay a Trek fan has made me dislike "reset button" stories with something resembling a passion.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #75 on: 29 Aug 2011, 22:13 »

Yeah, I don't think this is going to make Pintsize behave himself any better.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #76 on: 29 Aug 2011, 22:18 »

Now what's that old Klingon saying about revenge?   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #77 on: 29 Aug 2011, 22:25 »

But while Momo takes her revenge on Pintsize, who is keeping an eye on Marigold?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #78 on: 29 Aug 2011, 22:47 »

Marigold sneaks off to play video games while Momo and the Pugnacious Peach duel over who gets to beat up Pintsize.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #79 on: 29 Aug 2011, 23:07 »

So I just now realized why Momo's new chassis looks familiar. She's just a long-haired Fart-chan. Durf!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #80 on: 29 Aug 2011, 23:18 »

Imagine how hard Momo must have had to work to restrain herself, knowing that nothing but her own inhibitions was stopping her from turning on the shock field and frying Pintsize.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #81 on: 29 Aug 2011, 23:23 »

Does the new hardware support that feature?  I don't think it'd be software...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #82 on: 29 Aug 2011, 23:37 »

Marigold sneaks off to play video games while Momo and the Pugnacious Peach duel over who gets to beat up Pintsize.

I realize that it's my being a woman that allows me to see how truly loathsome Faye is, but that nickname makes me want to gag.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #83 on: 29 Aug 2011, 23:42 »

Momo can now give Pintsize the beating that all the other girls do. Haha.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #84 on: 29 Aug 2011, 23:45 »

Jeph is on a roll with the humour for this arc. :D

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #85 on: 29 Aug 2011, 23:51 »

I realize that it's my being a woman that allows me to see how truly loathsome Faye is, but that nickname makes me want to gag.

I have not noticed any division of views on Faye by gender, so I'm curious why you say that your gender feeds into your dislike.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

gangler

« Reply #86 on: 29 Aug 2011, 23:52 »

So I just now realized why Momo's new chassis looks familiar. She's just a long-haired Fart-chan. Durf!

[img]
Well longer haired, completely different facial structure, taller, bigger bust, different coloured eyes, and dissimilar bone structures. But they're both white chicks with pink hair. I'll give you that.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #87 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:02 »

I know I should disapprove of Momo's Roaring Rampage Of Robo-Revenge, but Pintsize so deserves it. I suppose it's a bit too one-sided for Battle Without Honor Or Humanity  to be playing in the background...

Well longer haired, completely different facial structure, taller, bigger bust, different coloured eyes, and dissimilar bone structures.
Bone?
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 00:08 by Akima »

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #88 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:11 »

I have not noticed any division of views on Faye by gender, so I'm curious why you say that your gender feeds into your dislike.

Oh, I'm not saying women in general would hate her, but if someone was able to see how disgusting she is, it would most likely be a woman (and that someone is me)...and maybe a few super super enlightened men, the sort of which only seem to exist in my imagination.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #89 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:15 »

So, Marigold will be eating ramen noodles for.....a while. How much you think Momo's new body cost?

John911

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #90 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:22 »

Anyone else get the strange feeling there is going to be a human/robot relationship storyline soon?

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #91 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:26 »

Yes...Momo had her eye on Sven, if I recall. She was fantasizing about him...lol. What's weird is that in the fantasy she looked sort of like she does now, except maybe a bit more glammed up.

bluemonq

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #92 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:31 »

Well longer haired, completely different facial structure, taller, bigger bust, different coloured eyes, and dissimilar bone structures.
Bone?
"Titanium-carbon fiber composite-based jointed endoskeletal element" is kind of a mouthful.

So, Marigold will be eating ramen noodles for.....a while. How much you think Momo's new body cost?
Well, it's no $30,000 PX-3500. She isn't taking out a loan for this, so... $7,500 - 9,000? Though now it kind of makes me wonder what's so great about that other chassis.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 00:36 by bluemonq »

michael28

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #93 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:31 »

For starters, several litres of life-blood.

Momo 1.0 looks like the Chibi Version of Momo 2.0.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 00:36 by michael28 »
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #94 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:49 »

Well, it's no $30,000 PX-3500. She isn't taking out a loan for this, so... $7,500 - 9,000? Though now it kind of makes me wonder what's so great about that other chassis.

Those twin particle-beam projectors, for starters. Momo's new chassis seems to be restricted to punching and robo-noogies. Unless she's holding back. Maybe there's some sort of AnthroPC code of ethics that prevents use of the Electric Shock Field against other AnthroPCs. Asimovian? If you want.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Jazz Hands Tribute Band

• Not quite a lurker
  • Quite
« Reply #95 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:51 »

why does she look so human? jeph should at least add the arm joints like the other robots.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #96 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:53 »

...So am I the only one who thought this was kinda hot?

Right: too creepy, I know. Leaving now.  :police:
I had something witty to put down here but.....

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #97 on: 30 Aug 2011, 01:00 »

why does she look so human? jeph should at least add the arm joints like the other robots.

Maybe that's why the chassis was nosebleed-inducingly expensive. Better covering, so to speak.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

sluthy

« Reply #98 on: 30 Aug 2011, 01:03 »

Jeph stepping it up with the GIFs - four frames now! Also, looks like he's done something to minimise the difference between browsers - where Hannelore's twitching leg was Tool-like in Firefox and like a slow metronome in IE/iOS, this strip I've found to be more consistent across platforms.

gangler

« Reply #99 on: 30 Aug 2011, 01:09 »

Bone?
"Titanium-carbon fiber composite-based jointed endoskeletal element" is kind of a mouthful.
Ain't it though?

Heck, a solid five to nine hundred dollars would be enough to get that reaction from me. If Marigold's lifestyle resembles my own it's not as bold a statement as it sounds. Not like I've never reduced the food budget to next to nothing for a game console or anything.

Depends how long we think she's gonna be on the Ramen diet for though. Weeks, months, or year(s)? I personally don't think she's gonna be ramen exclusive for more than two months.

Good question about the other chassis too. I'd expect at least Olympian level physical abilities, some manner of weaponized self defense system, lots of extra ports, ridiculous durability and the ability to transform.

I really do prefer a robot with some visible joints. It's momo's chassis though, and evidently she was looking for something a little more seamless. Not to my tastes, but whatever.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up