Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Momo likes the new chassis!
- 3 (4.8%)
Momo hugs!
- 3 (4.8%)
Perhaps you should buy a humidifier too.
- 1 (1.6%)
Do you not recognize me, Pintsize? It's me. Momo.
- 5 (7.9%)
Momo Robo Beatdown! (Hurf Durf)
- 2 (3.2%)
I'll give her five more minutes...
- 1 (1.6%)
It was nice of Hannelore to give some of her old clothes.
- 2 (3.2%)
I can cook for you!
- 0 (0%)
I can also reach your head to smack you upside it...
- 4 (6.3%)
I really do love you, Marigold. "I love you too."
- 6 (9.5%)
You're gonna make Angus cry.
- 3 (4.8%)
THERE WAS A CAT ON THE STAIRS AND I'M ALLERGIC.
- 13 (20.6%)
No offense, but it's hard to sleep with you sitting there staring...
- 1 (1.6%)
Spooning Momo!
- 16 (25.4%)
But I am too big to fit on the dresser anymore!
- 3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)  (Read 143283 times)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)
« Reply #450 on: 02 Sep 2011, 01:50 »

Yeah, what's that book on the floor?  :?

guayec

• Plantmonster
    • the underman forever
« Reply #451 on: 02 Sep 2011, 01:54 »

Does Momo even sleep? Someone needs to start a "do robots sleep" thread to go with the love one. lol.

What I am actually surprised of is the lack of comments on sex-with-anthroPCs... Although I have'nt been around lately. Are there any threads or ongoing discussions about it? Is it a banned topic to avoid extreme creepiness?

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #452 on: 02 Sep 2011, 01:57 »

Yeah, what's that book on the floor?  :?
Oh Wow! it's Magical Love Gentleman!

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #453 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:00 »

Because that doesn't really have anything to do with the topic at hand.

I think maybe AnthroPCs don't have the same boundaries that people do. Cuddling with Marigold is just natural to Momo, like, what else would she do? It makes me think that she wanted to cuddle before but was too small. Or her new chassis is an excuse to enjoy some cuddling.

I hope Marigold doesn't freak out. Okay, so maybe she doesn't normally cuddle in bed with her friends, but Momo is a different kind of friend.

:)
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #454 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:03 »

could be that being under the covers will block her ventilation ports anc cause her processor to overheat.

Does Momo even sleep? Someone needs to start a "do robots sleep" thread to go with the love one. lol.
and do they dream of electric sheep?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #455 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:04 »

Is it a banned topic to avoid extreme creepiness?

It is not a banned subject, but would not get a free pass on creepiness either.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #456 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:28 »

I liked the comic, and it made me wonder about what anthro-pcs do when everyone else is asleep, but I can't help but feel that he's done the joke in the last panel before.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #457 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:38 »

He did.

But Momo is much cuter than Pintsize and she doesn't qualify as habitual perv.
"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"
"Your ass looks fat in that skirt.  I mean, yes Ma'am."

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #458 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:40 »

I can see three solutions:

1) Momo "sleeps" on the couch in the living room.  This is not ideal as Angus and Faye may be using it one day at the same time Marigold goes to sleep.

2) If there's room, and if Marigold has the money, Marigold could buy Momo a chair to "sleep" on.

3) If Momo gets a job then there may be enough money for Marigold (with or without Angus) to move out and find a place where Momo has her own room.
Francisco

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #459 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:42 »

I would be totally down with Marigold and Momo ditching Angus and getting a place of their own. Angus has caused Mari so much heartache, she's better off deleting him from her life.

I hope she gets smart and stops talking to Faye, too.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #460 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:51 »

ಠ_ಠ

How´s that help anyone?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #461 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:53 »

I would be totally down with Marigold and Momo ditching Angus and getting a place of their own. Angus has caused Mari so much heartache, she's better off deleting him from her life.

A place of their own is likely to cost more than sharing with Angus, and the act of moving is not cost-free.  If Marigold is going to have to reign in her expenses for a while while absorbing the cost of the new chassis, then it makes sense to stay put for the time being.

As an exercise, try not bringing that up gratuitously; it added nothing to the rest of your comment.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2011, 02:55 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #462 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:55 »

...She could always switch living arrangements with Faye...

(I went there, didn't I? :/ )
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #463 on: 02 Sep 2011, 02:58 »

It crossed my mind, too, and then left on the other side.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #464 on: 02 Sep 2011, 03:00 »

Why?  He actually got annoyed with Faye when she teased Marigold.  He cares for her.

What VonKleist said.

At the end of the day bitterness doesn't serve a purpose other than to make the bitter person feel worse.
Francisco

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #465 on: 02 Sep 2011, 03:05 »

As an exercise, try not bringing that up gratuitously; it added nothing to the rest of your comment.

I think I've got all the exercise I can handle right now...in the gym, five days a week.

I will TRY...ugh. But it's so hard...

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #466 on: 02 Sep 2011, 03:06 »

Besides, the story draws a lot of it's social dynamics from some of the staff being flatmates.
"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"
"Your ass looks fat in that skirt.  I mean, yes Ma'am."

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #467 on: 02 Sep 2011, 03:24 »

If you're talking about switching living arrangements, if Momo had a job that paid enough, Angus could move in with Faye and Momo could get Angus's room?

Taking Random's point into account, it would reduce the amount the others see Marigold and Momo unless either or both made an effort to go to CoD and/or on the gang's nights out.  Don't forget that Dora now lives across the river (or as the some of the gang see it: On the other side of the country)!
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2011, 03:25 by HiFranc »
Francisco

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #468 on: 02 Sep 2011, 03:30 »

Actually this is kind of a weird thought, how would Momo view the new body in terms of what it means. She can't just fit on a dresser and if she does 'sleep' or enter a kind of debug mode (not sure where but Pintsize mentions that he doesn't dream so AnthroPCs might not dream) it might be weird for her to not be near Marigold. All I can reccomend in such a situation are penguins and hats, not sure they would help, just that they might add a new dimension to the situation.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

IrrationalPie

« Reply #469 on: 02 Sep 2011, 03:52 »

It may be just me, but once Momo got her new body I started viewing her as a person rather than an Anthro-PC.

It now feels weird to me that Marigold owns Momo;  it's slavery.

The size difference shouldn't have altered my opinion or view but did.

This was brought to my mind in today's comic, where Momo is just staring at Marigold because she has nothing else to do. 

Her life is entirely devoted to Marigold, and that's somewhat disturbing to me now.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2011, 03:56 by IrrationalPie »

Dust

« Reply #470 on: 02 Sep 2011, 03:58 »

Angus has caused Mari so much heartache, she's better off deleting him from her life.

What? I really do hope you're not referring to what I think you are..

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #471 on: 02 Sep 2011, 04:04 »

It may be just me, but once Momo got her new body I started viewing her as a person rather than an Anthro-PC.

This was brought to my mind in today's comic, where Momo is just staring at Marigold because she has nothing else to do.  

Her life is entirely devoted to Marigold, and that's somewhat disturbing to me now.
She doesn't own "Momo" though. She may technically have a sort of landlord-tenant relationship with the entity that is "Momo-tan" in respect of her current body/housing, but that's hardly slavery. As for how she came to be introduced to Momo-the-AI in the first place is more like a sort of dating service; you pay a fee to a broker who finds an AI companion for you who, given Leda's and Charlotte's tales, apparently volunteers for the role and goes home with you on a "trial basis" for which the terms are particularly generous according to Jeph; zero-notice from either party for a full refund.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #472 on: 02 Sep 2011, 05:42 »

Did Marigold even really like Angus?  If anything, she did only because he was there and there were no other guys in the picture.

How again would their relationship work out?  Has Angus shown any interest in any of Marigold's hobbies?  Look, if Marigold was still sad about it I'd suggest she move out but we haven't heard a peep from her to others or internal monologue about him.  She wasnt in love with him, but you're trying to compare this situation with one where the girl was in love.  It doesn't work here.

Actually this is kind of a weird thought, how would Momo view the new body in terms of what it means. She can't just fit on a dresser and if she does 'sleep' or enter a kind of debug mode (not sure where but Pintsize mentions that he doesn't dream so AnthroPCs might not dream) it might be weird for her to not be near Marigold. All I can reccomend in such a situation are penguins and hats, not sure they would help, just that they might add a new dimension to the situation.

Well she better do something, as it is she's just wasting electricity.  Go sit in the corner, plug yourself in, and hibernate already!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #473 on: 02 Sep 2011, 05:51 »

Well, if Anthro-PCs would be people their treatment would indeed violate human rights.

As they are some kind of machines, no matter how lifelike Jeph portrays them, they arent sentient and they are ultimately tools to serve mankind.
Carpe Diem

Sheason

« Reply #474 on: 02 Sep 2011, 06:21 »

Well, if Anthro-PCs would be people their treatment would indeed violate human rights.

As they are some kind of machines, no matter how lifelike Jeph portrays them, they arent sentient and they are ultimately tools to serve mankind.

*aherm*

If you will allow me, could I please direct your attention to Exhibit A: The Measure of a Man

By claiming that they're tools, you are presenting essentially the same argument as Cmdr. Bruce Maddox, who himself (somewhat ironically) was a tool. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #475 on: 02 Sep 2011, 06:33 »

As I am attempting to be more positive in my posts, I have given this some thought and decided that I absolutely agree that Jeph does indeed portray them in a lifelike manner.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #476 on: 02 Sep 2011, 06:48 »

*aherm*

If you will allow me, could I please direct your attention to Exhibit A: The Measure of a Man

By claiming that they're tools, you are presenting essentially the same argument as Cmdr. Bruce Maddox, who himself (somewhat ironically) was a tool. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

That was a good episode.  It's been years since I saw it but some of the exchanges have stuck in my mind.  As I haven't been able to use the spoiler tag I'll just advise you to watch that episode if you get a chance.
Francisco

Kwark

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #477 on: 02 Sep 2011, 08:07 »

Since we're talking about nerdy tv series and what robots do while you're asleep, I'll link my favorite episode of TSCC : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_Made_Man

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #478 on: 02 Sep 2011, 08:27 »

It's not really slavery when either party can end the relationship. Sure, when the AnthroPC has a "small" chassis, there is sort of a power imbalance (and the part where Momo's first act was to beat up Pintsize, even well-deserved, had some unfortunate implications). But the AnthroPCs have social lives of their own (which are only occasionally seen in the comic), and clearly can have jobs of their own. I've said earlier this week that now that Momo can walk around on her own instead of riding along on a shoulder, she probably will develop more of an independent life, and what we saw this week is just an initial d'awww-fugue.

LordVaughn

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Now in grape flavor!
« Reply #479 on: 02 Sep 2011, 09:10 »

Today's comic reminded me of Demon King Daimou to a point that it took me a few to realise that I had read what was being said the wrong way.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #480 on: 02 Sep 2011, 09:17 »

She doesn't own "Momo" though. She may technically have a sort of landlord-tenant relationship with the entity that is "Momo-tan" in respect of her current body/housing, but that's hardly slavery.

I think landlord-tenant is possibly the closest analogy for the human-anthroPC relationship. Of course, no analogy will be perfect, just as the child and pet analogies don't perfectly fit. It's a whole new kind of relationship that we don't have a word for, but indeed, it is not slavery.

westrim

« Reply #481 on: 02 Sep 2011, 09:34 »

Why does slavery keep getting brought up? They (the human and the AI) make a mutually agreed to contract, the human pays for whatever casing for the AI the human desires, and if/when the contract ends the human gets a full refund. Everything about it is completely voluntary and refundable; why is that hard to accept?

I can't decide whether I'm aggravated that I avoided getting commenting on this highly interesting tangent earlier or glad I avoided the time sink.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2011, 10:15 by westrim »

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #482 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:05 »

Why does slavery keep getting brought up? They (the human and the AI) make a mutually agreed to contract, the human pays for whatever casing for the AI the human desires, and if/when the contract ends the human gets a full refund. Everything about it is completely voluntary and refundable; why is that hard to understand?

I can't decide whether I'm aggravated that I avoided getting commenting on this highly interesting tangent earlier or glad I avoided the time sink.

A lot of the problem is that this business model does not exist in real life, it is foreign and confusing.  Nowhere can you buy something and then return it whenever you want for a full refund, no questions asked.  Nowhere can you buy a product and not own it.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #483 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:12 »

Angus has caused Mari so much heartache, she's better off deleting him from her life.

What do you mean what you think? She should ditch Angus and get new friends. Angus is no friend, calling her a shut in weirdo. He's just an asshole, and she's better off without him as anything. He's not a friend at all.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #484 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:17 »

I clearly don't get the "he's not a friend at all". If there's something I honestly believe in is that "friends are the ones who tell you when you have dirt on your face". That time he called her a shut in... He totally didn't say it in the right way, but he was completely right anyway.

A lot of the problem is that this business model does not exist in real life, it is foreign and confusing.  Nowhere can you buy something and then return it whenever you want for a full refund, no questions asked.  Nowhere can you buy a product and not own it.

I thought that said problem could be easily solved by saying "This is a story, not fact... it's pure fiction, deal with it".
I mean, in that case there's NO WAY I would take any sci-fi movie seriously because I will probably say "hey, that's just bull****" all the time.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #485 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:19 »

No. You don't call your friends shut in weirdos. Ever.

"Marigold, you should get out more" "Marigold, I think the way you interact with other people is sometimes off-putting"

If he cared about her he would have made an effort not to hurt her. He didn't.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #486 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:21 »

Your plastic pal that's fun to be with...

A couple of things have crossed my mind lately about the relationship between humans and AnPC's.  I kind of get the impression that when a nascent AI is booted into a chassis for the first time, there's a sort of imprinting that goes on, like with waterfowl, only not as strong.  "OOh, a human wants me!  My first human!  Lets see what it's like...".  And out of curiosity (and maybe entertainment value in Pintsize's case), they watch and study, and learn to care, not just for, but about us.  I imagine they watch us sleep, wondering about our dreams, worried if that snore will become apnea, ending the relationship/study too soon.  They learn what makes us happy (or sad), and view our happiness as a reward, a measure of themselves.  It's close to love, but isn't quite, and can easily run amok like Pintsize.  But it's real, and very much like love, perhaps closer than what a lot of (self interested) people can give you.  It's not slavery or ownership, although maybe there's a bit of Stockholm syndrome going on.  

I know, this should be in the "do robots love?" thread, but it's getting hard to distinguish the two.  

@QCfan, Angus is one of the best friends Marigold's had before Hannelore came along.  He treated her with respect, and is trying to get her to see herself with some.  Reread the pre-party comics again, please.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

0kamisama

• Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #487 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:22 »

What do you mean what you think? She should ditch Angus and get new friends. Angus is no friend, calling her a shut in weirdo. He's just an asshole, and she's better off without him as anything. He's not a friend at all.
What about the time he asked Faye not to be so hard on Marigold? There have been times when he stuck up for her. After all, that's one dynamic of friendships, the occasional ribbing and being able to take it in stride, even though to outsiders, it may come across as mean-spirited jabs.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #488 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:28 »

No. You don't call your friends shut in weirdos. Ever.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, like I said: he didn't say it in a good way at all, he's still right though.
I was just commenting that I personally like when my friends tell me when I'm doing something wrong.
Just for the sake of being clear as water: Angus didn't say it in a good manner but if he talked to her in a more sensitive way, then I wouldn't have any problem with it specially because he was right.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #489 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:33 »

I wouldn't either. But as the case is, he said it in a really cruel way, so I have a problem with it.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #490 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:37 »

But it was so funny!

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #491 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:38 »

To me, it really wasn't. He just came across as an asshole.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #492 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:40 »

Well, at least he and Faye are a better pair then, eh?

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #493 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:43 »

You can't find a better pair than an asshole and a bitch man, it's made in heaven!

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #494 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:45 »

I wouldn't either. But as the case is, he said it in a really cruel way, so I have a problem with it.

After which he apologized twice and explained that he doesn't always think before he speaks. Yes, Angus can be a bit of an insensitive asshole at times, but that just shows that he's human. Part of being friends is recognizing that your friends won't always say the right thing, but that they're always there for you when you need them, as Angus has shown several times (telling Faye to go easy on Marigold, talking Marigold through her feelings after the drunken kiss, etc).

deathwing107

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #495 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:46 »

Freaking random observation... but is it just me or does Marigold have a John Lennon type of nose? It's much more evident if you've ever watched those old cheaply made Beatles cartoons.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #496 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:48 »

A lot of the problem is that this business model does not exist in real life, it is foreign and confusing.  Nowhere can you buy something and then return it whenever you want for a full refund, no questions asked.  Nowhere can you buy a product and not own it.
Correct. We have had no need for this business model in our world because we haven't had sentient machines with equal rights to humans.

Yes, sentient. Jeph says they're sentient. There's room for philosophical argument about whether that's possible. It is inarguably impossible to live at an address which does not exist, as Marten and Faye do. Authors of fiction are allowed to include impossible things and see where they lead.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #497 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:54 »

I think that all sides of the debate are making sound points about Angus. His problem of letting his mouth get ahead of his brain obligates him to be extra careful around fragile people, just as impaired people should stay away from cars. He knows Marigold is fragile -- we know this because he told Faye to lay off her. The fact that he was distracted and unhappy meant he should have put effort into being more inhibited.

Which is all a bit off topic for this week, but my moderation philosophy is to be pretty relaxed about topic drift.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheCollector

« Reply #498 on: 02 Sep 2011, 11:13 »

Man, Marigold looks good in the tank top huh?

But on to something that won't have me stared at.. This comic was both creepy and just plain adorable. I love it!

0kamisama

• Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #499 on: 02 Sep 2011, 11:15 »

Faye and Angus have the same issue with being way more upfront and snarky than "normal", but consistent contact with people will invariably make someone more used to their company and not as sensitive to their barbs over time.

This is almost as painful as getting a wisdom tooth pulled.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up