THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 15:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Good morning Faye! I made some coffee...
- 0 (0%)
SLUUUURRP (right from the pot)
- 2 (3.7%)
Is CoD hiring?
- 0 (0%)
"Tragic accident" (This stuff BETTER not be poisoned)
- 2 (3.7%)
Momo at the library! Are you hiring?
- 1 (1.9%)
"I've got free reign."
- 1 (1.9%)
"Is that something you are supposed to put on your resume?"
- 5 (9.3%)
Winslow brought Momo those samples...
- 1 (1.9%)
There's... there's nothing! Her entire system is blank!
- 1 (1.9%)
Big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- 7 (13%)
She got a new chassis. (We must burn it. To keep it out of Pintsize's hands.)
- 6 (11.1%)
Hey, mister triple-shot latte.
- 1 (1.9%)
Technically, I'm only 2.7 years old.
- 0 (0%)
You got a robot PREGNANT?
- 17 (31.5%)
Samantha meets Momo!
- 4 (7.4%)
Pokemons 513, 397, 456...
- 1 (1.9%)
Do you REALLY know all that?
- 0 (0%)
Please. I live with Marigold.
- 5 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2006-2010 (5-9 Sep 2011)  (Read 75661 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: WCDT: 2006-2010 (5-9 Sep 2011)
« Reply #250 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:12 »

Who starts up conversations with a question like that?  I mean, Sam was there any clue that the girl sitting at the table with the really nervous body language is into a card game designed to suck the spending money out of your pockets?

Now, if she'd asked about Warhammer....

Yeah, I know - "Mr. Pot, this is Ms. Kettle.  She'd like to discuss your present hue..."
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #251 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:26 »

Wait wait wait..... Is she Sam? Like... the girl that was like 13 years old?
Holy shit she's tall... Or Marten is far shorter that I'd have thought. Do you guys know any female characters in QC that aren't tall? lol

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #252 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:33 »

She's impressed that a walking computer can recall data? How is that impressive again?

SELECT POKEMON_NAME FROM POKEMON_POKEDEX WHERE POKEMON_NUMBER = x

Edit: I take it back for now, there is a slight chance she doesn't know she's talking to a robot.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011, 05:36 by stoutfiles »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #253 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:36 »

Meh, it wouldn't surprise me if Momo actually knows that kind of  stuff because of Marigold.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #254 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:40 »

I've had stranger conversational openings, Border ... Pulled up to a parking spot and a little girl, maybe 10 or 12, beamed at me and said, out of the blue, "Your car's cuuuuuuuute!" And then she stuck her face back into her sno-cone and went on her way,
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #255 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:40 »

I think I'm gonna like this new character a lot. Socially awkward but not reclusive. The kind of person who would walk up to a stranger in a bakery and introduce herself with "Do.... you like pokemon?". Just oozes adorable in her introduction and I can only see fun places it could go from there.

She could prove an interesting pair with Momo since Momo's remarkably socially outgoing. Could turn out into a more extroverted version of the Marigold/Hanners premise. Though I'd never accuse Jeph of recycling characters. Limited information on New Girl (name?) yet so relying on crude approximations for the characters. Seems though like we got a nerdy socially awkward girl with confidence and a healthy degree of extroversion paired with a full blown extrovert who's idiosyncrasies and inexperience are more than sufficient to create a certain degree of social fumbling and who's quite comfortable with the nerdier subject matters. Don't mean nerd in a derogatory fashion either. Just can't think of a better word right now. Just got out of bed and I'm typing this out before class.

So I was gonna ask how old she was because I strongly suspect she's not be a SMIF student but we think She's the bakery owner's kid? That could be interesting.

Also

She's impressed that a walking computer can recall data? How is that impressive again?

SELECT POKEMON_NAME FROM POKEMON_POKEDEX WHERE POKEMON_NUMBER = x

Do we know that AIs have perfect memorization in this universe? Seems they could have a system similar to humans for prioritizing which information gets stored anywhere where it could be immediately recalled on the drop of a pin or gets stored at all.

Though I really think a lot of people are making assumptions about how obvious Momo's status as an AI is. I mean sure, there are cues. The ears. Her eyes behave a little differently from normal eyes. I don't think I'd clue into it from the moment I see her from down the hall though. At some point you probably notice, but hell. I've hung out with a guy for three days before noticing he was missing a hand. I can't imagine everyone just starts cataloging her anatomy the moment they approach her or are approached.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #256 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:41 »

Meh, it wouldn't surprise me if Momo actually knows that kind of  stuff because of Marigold.

Right, she probably defines all databases with information that helps her relationship with Marigold important, so she never deletes them to make room for new information.  I assume she has an encyclopedic knowledge of all video games and anime.  Odds are she does spider the Internet for extra information about certain topics as a background task.

Coolfusis

• Not quite a lurker
  • Has eaten several cakes.
« Reply #257 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:47 »

Holy shit she's tall... Or Marten is far shorter that I'd have thought. Do you guys know any female characters in QC that aren't tall? lol

Marten is slouching :P Plus, females hit puberty faster, so even at 13-14, they're likely only a few inches shorter than their max height will be. (but yes, marten seems to be pretty short)
I'd like to get strong enough to kick a baby through a wooden door. Not because I'd want to do it, that'd be horrible. I just think it's the most awesome way to describe your strength level.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #258 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:55 »

I think I'm gonna like this new character a lot.
I'm pretty damn sure she's not a new character

Marten is slouching :P Plus, females hit puberty faster, so even at 13-14, they're likely only a few inches shorter than their max height will be. (but yes, marten seems to be pretty short)
Heh, I didn't count on that, thanks.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #259 on: 09 Sep 2011, 06:18 »

So...
Marten has now independently met the daughter of Dora's new business ally/date/friend, and potentially none of them are aware of the common threads.
This is usually the set-up for Comedy of Errors style plots.

I just hope Sam (is that her canon name?) doesn't simultaneously develop a crush on Marten and an irrational loathing for Momo then say something unguarded where her father can misinterpret it and try to sic VespAvenger on either of them...
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #260 on: 09 Sep 2011, 06:56 »

Y'know, Momo never actually answered the first question.
You noticed that too, eh? Momo is running her social protocol subsystem, and at least her original hardware and programming was Japanese (well Sony anyway). As in my ancestral culture, a polite evasion would always be preferable to a bald "No".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #261 on: 09 Sep 2011, 07:02 »

I'm noticing recently that Jeph has started showing eyebrows through light hair - he didn't in the past, e.g. 1588.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ocelott

• Not quite a lurker
    • Genre Reviews
« Reply #262 on: 09 Sep 2011, 07:21 »

My first thought on reading this strip was "Man, I remember when there were only 150 pokemon."

Feeling old and cranky now.  Excuse me, I have to go wave my cane at some kids on my lawn.

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #263 on: 09 Sep 2011, 07:36 »

My first thought was: Pokemon?
Kids, these days!

Well, okay, I spent a lot of my pocket money on collectable pictures of famous soccer players as a child, but that was different.    :mrgreen:
"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"
"Your ass looks fat in that skirt.  I mean, yes Ma'am."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #264 on: 09 Sep 2011, 07:43 »

So...
Marten has now independently met the daughter of Dora's new business ally/date/friend, and potentially none of them are aware of the common threads.
This is usually the set-up for Comedy of Errors style plots.

I just hope Sam (is that her canon name?) doesn't simultaneously develop a crush on Marten and an irrational loathing for Momo then say something unguarded where her father can misinterpret it and try to sic VespAvenger on either of them...

Just going by 2010, the year they make contact, I see more of a setup for Sam and Momo to befome BFFs (although I don't know why moving into a physically larger chassis would regress Momo to a tween; she acted in her other chassis as a tiny adult).

The development I fear would be the founding of the Sam- and -Faye School of Cooking.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #265 on: 09 Sep 2011, 08:11 »

Tai?

I'm noticing recently that Jeph has started showing eyebrows through light hair - he didn't in the past, e.g. 1588.
That's just Momo. She is still culturally Japanese and that's in keeping with the manga style she's drawn after.

Sure, Momo may be knowledgeable about Pokemon, but could she tell you, off the cuff, who played Runningback for the 1986 L.A. Raiders?
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011, 08:27 by Mad Cat »
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #266 on: 09 Sep 2011, 08:17 »

Also, Momo appears even younger than Samantha now. When the chassis was introduced in #2000, it seemed to look about 20.

helenmariet

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #267 on: 09 Sep 2011, 08:18 »

Hasn't Jeph mentioned somewhere on his Tumblr that he has a tendency to draw all the female characters as being fairly tall?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #268 on: 09 Sep 2011, 08:19 »

Faye, Dora and Cosette are all shown slightly shorter than Marten when they appear together, but Hanners is taller.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #269 on: 09 Sep 2011, 08:19 »

[...]

Just going by 2010, the year they make contact, I see more of a setup for Sam and Momo to befome BFFs (although I don't know why moving into a physically larger chassis would regress Momo to a tween; she acted in her other chassis as a tiny adult).

I don't think that she's changed that much.

[...]

Also, Momo appears even younger than Samantha now. When the chassis was introduced in #2000, it seemed to look about 20.

I think that's probably because Momo is wearing clothes that are a little too big for her.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011, 08:21 by HiFranc »
Francisco

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #270 on: 09 Sep 2011, 08:45 »

I just hope Sam (is that her canon name?) doesn't simultaneously develop a crush on Marten...

She's thirteen. I mean, ew...

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #271 on: 09 Sep 2011, 09:13 »

13 year old girls develop crushes. He didn't say the feeling was mutual. He was setting up a comedy of errors in which Jim gets the wrong idea about Marten. I don't see this going that way, but it is very sitcom-esque.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #272 on: 09 Sep 2011, 09:25 »

she acted in her other chassis as a tiny adult).
Whenever she was taking care of Marigold, definitely. When she was playing WoW or thought she was being returned, more childlike.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #273 on: 09 Sep 2011, 10:45 »

So, only sticking to the Gen iV and Gen V. No love for the other gens I see. Damn kids these days....

Also, Momo uses Bulbapedia, not Wikipedia.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011, 10:54 by cesariojpn »

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #274 on: 09 Sep 2011, 11:06 »

Yeah, I don't think there's any question that that's Jim's daughter Samantha.

Answers my initial question on seeing her in the comic of "what's a 13yo doing by herself in a coffee shop?"

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #275 on: 09 Sep 2011, 11:30 »

Grabbing a free muffin after school, du-uh!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #276 on: 09 Sep 2011, 11:33 »

Tai?

That's just Momo. She is still culturally Japanese and that's in keeping with the manga style she's drawn after.

Sure, Momo may be knowledgeable about Pokemon, but could she tell you, off the cuff, who played Runningback for the 1986 L.A. Raiders?

SELECT LAST_NAME, FIRST_NAME FROM NFL_PLAYERS WHERE YEAR = '1986' AND TEAM = 'Raiders' AND POSITION = 'RB' ORDER BY RUSHING_YARDS DESC LIMIT 1

Of course, this is assuming she chose to download a player database.  While it would be very useful for conversation with most men, Momo is only around people who seem to care less about sports.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #277 on: 09 Sep 2011, 11:45 »

13 year old girls develop crushes. He didn't say the feeling was mutual. He was setting up a comedy of errors in which Jim gets the wrong idea about Marten. I don't see this going that way, but it is very sitcom-esque.

Marten does seem to have some sort of attraction for childlike women seeking a big brother figure. That's if you consider Hanners and Momo a suffiecent sample size, and it doesn't explain Dora (or maybe it eventually will ...).

Well, that's my hypothesis and I'll observe further.

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #278 on: 09 Sep 2011, 11:50 »

It certainly doesn't explain Faye.  :-D
"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #279 on: 09 Sep 2011, 11:57 »

Pokemon #721. That is so going to be in the next Pokemon game it's not even funny. And it will be unabashedly based off of Yelling Bird. And it will be a Legendary with an absurdly low catch rate.

Hmm...it seems we are on the way to Momo having her first new friend that's outside of the regular QC circle. This seems promising.

Warning - while you were reading 2 new Pokemon species have been discovered. You may wish to review your post.
GOD DAMN IT.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #280 on: 09 Sep 2011, 12:09 »

While it would be very useful for conversation with most men, Momo is only around people who seem to care less about sports.
Correct, but it's interesting that she asked Angus for the sports section of the paper in 1772(and let's not drive ourselves crazy trying to figure out why Momo would read a physical newspaper).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #281 on: 09 Sep 2011, 12:21 »

You never got beat up by your younger sister?    :roll:

Neither did I.  I have three younger brothers...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #282 on: 09 Sep 2011, 12:49 »

Tai?

Sure, Momo may be knowledgeable about Pokemon, but could she tell you, off the cuff, who played Running back for the 1986 L.A. Raiders?

...Marcus Allen?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #283 on: 09 Sep 2011, 13:21 »

What's on tap for this week?

At least ONE Yelling Bird Strip.    - 9 (8.4%)
Momo gets a job!    - 35 (32.7%)
The Band gets a gig!    - 7 (6.5%)
Faye gets another art commission!    - 1 (0.9%)
Pintsize wants an upgrade!    - 21 (19.6%)
Winslow wants an upgrade!    - 3 (2.8%)
We meet the 'rents - Marigold's dad!    - 6 (5.6%)
No, we finally meet Dadelore (HannerDad)!    - 4 (3.7%)
Even better: we meet Mrs. Farmer, and she's a psychologist!    - 2 (1.9%)
Happy Toaster Makes Fun Waffles For Everyone!    - 19 (17.8%)

Total Voters: 107
Just another Joe like 46

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #284 on: 09 Sep 2011, 13:43 »

Marten does seem to have some sort of attraction for childlike women seeking a big brother figure. That's if you consider Hanners and Momo a suffiecent sample size, and it doesn't explain Dora (or maybe it eventually will ...).

Well, that's my hypothesis and I'll observe further.

Seems like there could be a lot of overlap between what attracts people who are inexperienced to the point of being childlike and what attracts people with chronic insecurities.

Marten's just a good grounding force. Got his feet deeply rooted in reality, he's mellow and helpful, he generally sounds like he knows what he's talking about, never makes a big deal out of the shortcomings, failings, or screwups of those around him. Always listens and knows just how to diffuse an emotionally turbulent situation.

I can see that he'd be equally attractive to both types of people. The same characteristics that made him invaluable to Faye also make him awesome for someone like Hanners.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #285 on: 09 Sep 2011, 14:18 »

Marten's just a good grounding force. Got his feet deeply rooted in reality, he's mellow and helpful, he generally sounds like he knows what he's talking about, never makes a big deal out of the shortcomings, failings, or screwups of those around him. Always listens and knows just how to diffuse an emotionally turbulent situation.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1818

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #286 on: 09 Sep 2011, 14:23 »

Building on the response Gangler's already posted, one could argue Faye was indeed lookling for a good solid grounding force. Marten does seem to provide that. Grounded to the point you wonder if he'll ever leave the runway ...

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #287 on: 09 Sep 2011, 14:35 »

That's an isolated incident. He was severely depressed and very, very drunk. I'm not saying that excuses it, but that's one specific time.

It's just as easy to post a link to this comic (He does a ton of nice things for Dora and tries to cheer her up when he realizes she's not having a good day) or even this one, where he's making sure Tai is careful with Hanners. Even when his closest friends aren't around, he's not judging Hannelore for who she is and tries to take care of her. Even when things are awful, he still tries to do the right thing and can even appropriately bring in just the right amount of humor, like in this strip.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #288 on: 09 Sep 2011, 14:46 »

The drunk-marten-comic will always be a cheap try at proving any kind of point.

Taigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #289 on: 09 Sep 2011, 14:47 »

If AnthroPC's have the internet constantly streaming through their head, then that explains so much about Pintsize.

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #290 on: 09 Sep 2011, 14:52 »

Building on the response Gangler's already posted, one could argue Faye was indeed lookling for a good solid grounding force. Marten does seem to provide that. Grounded to the point you wonder if he'll ever leave the runway ...

Now you mention it ...
It looks like a good description of their relationship.

Another way to see it, is, that Faye was in the beginning rather an older sister to Marten, even if she had to maintain this violently.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #291 on: 09 Sep 2011, 17:52 »

If AnthroPC's have the internet constantly streaming through their head, then that explains so much about Pintsize.
If he was one of the earlier models, I'd suspect they may have put a damper or filter on that for future models so they could actually think.

I can just imagine an APC walking across the street trying to access 3,000 webpages at once and not noticing the Mack Truck bearing down on them... WHAM!
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #292 on: 09 Sep 2011, 18:08 »

Gotta catch 'em all.   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #293 on: 09 Sep 2011, 19:19 »

See if Marten made a habit out of getting falling down drunk and then getting mean with other characters, you'd have a point. But as others have pointed out, that's an exception. Marten only gets drunk once in a long while when he's feeling great emotional stress. Not the best response to it, true. And if he did it regularly, he'd become an alcoholic in no time. But all the above comic proves is that Marten is human, and like most humans, occasionally makes bad choices, especially under the influence of mind-altering substances.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #294 on: 09 Sep 2011, 19:22 »

Not just Momo, and not just light hair. See Marigold in the first panel of 2003. Unless anime conventions apply to her too?

Marcus Allen was starting RB. Took me seconds in Google and I am a mere human. What does off-the-cuff mean to a networked AI? Off her internal mass-storage device?

Answers my initial question on seeing her in the comic of "what's a 13yo doing by herself in a coffee shop?"
Eh? Why wouldn't a 13-year-old be in a coffee-shop by herself? It's not place where minors are barred. At 13 my mother used to send me out shopping for groceries by myself, and I rode to and from school on my bicycle through city streets (compared to Shanghai, Sydney's traffic is a cake-walk). On the other hand, Jim does seem more the infantalising protective type.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #295 on: 09 Sep 2011, 20:20 »

Marcus Allen was starting RB. Took me seconds in Google and I am a mere human. What does off-the-cuff mean to a networked AI? Off her internal mass-storage device?

I didn't need to. I guessed, and then looked it up. Of course, I generally remember things like that because I'm an (American) football fan.

EDIT: Samantha being at TSB wouldn't be unusual, especially since her dad owns the place.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011, 20:23 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #296 on: 09 Sep 2011, 20:38 »

Eh? Why wouldn't a 13-year-old be in a coffee-shop by herself? It's not place where minors are barred. At 13 my mother used to send me out shopping for groceries by myself, and I rode to and from school on my bicycle through city streets (compared to Shanghai, Sydney's traffic is a cake-walk). On the other hand, Jim does seem more the infantalising protective type.

Modern Westernized parents, and US parents in particular, have a tendency to be terrified something bad will happen to their child if that child is out of their sight or not safe at home, so they tend to get overprotective. Sending a child to the grocery store? Sure, if the store is only a couple of city blocks away or less, and the child had better have demonstrated to the parents' satisfaction that they know how to cross the street. But bike riding through traffic? Even relatively sedate US/Australian traffic? That would give most parents these days a heart attack just thinking about it. Yeah, parents tend to be overprotective these days, mainly because they perceive the world these days as more dangerous than when they grew up OR they had similarly overprotective parents themselves.

Then they wonder why they end up with kids who hardly do anything but stay in their rooms and play videogames or on the computer-at 17-18...
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011, 20:42 by themacnut »
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #297 on: 09 Sep 2011, 21:53 »

She's not just a networked AI. She's an embodied AI, who (thankfully) wears clothes, so technicly, she does have cuffs.

And the only reason I know the answer to the sports question is because I formulated a rough template for the question and then went and Wikipedia's some sample answers to sample questions and picked a combo that can easily be answered from straight Wikipedia info.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #298 on: 09 Sep 2011, 22:17 »

Akima: of course they're not barred, it's just not typical in my experience. I doubt Jim would want her to be drinking coffee

but on the other hand, it is the secret bakery ...  mmmm. baked goods.

maybe I need a cupcake

maybe I need more sleep

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #299 on: 10 Sep 2011, 00:57 »

Pokemon #721. That is so going to be in the next Pokemon game it's not even funny. And it will be unabashedly based off of Yelling Bird. And it will be a Legendary with an absurdly low catch rate.

I still want a R/S/E remake first.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up