THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 12:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 99   Go Down

Author Topic: POINTLESS THREAD III: ESCAPE FROM RAPTOR MOUNTAIN AGAIN  (Read 922223 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: POINTLESS THREAD III: ESCAPE FROM RAPTOR MOUNTAIN AGAIN
« Reply #4600 on: 03 Aug 2013, 10:50 »

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4601 on: 03 Aug 2013, 13:41 »

[WWII on Facebook]
I should not expect anything else, I suppose, but where was China? I mean, we only fought Japan for eight years (1937-1945), and didn't surrender despite somewhere between twenty and thirty million military and civilian casualties. Once, America knew that...

China's contributions to the second world war are glossed over. At least, I'd never realized until, well, NOW, that there was such a thing. And I've been taught the history of WWII three times in school always in multi week blocks. In the version I've been taught it's the US that wins in the end, unaided.
I'm willing to bet that Russia and the Eastern Front were not mentioned at all, because again, dirty commies.

Not to mention, Americans are extremely ethnocentric when it comes to their contributions in wars.  If they didn't have a hand in something or played only a small role, then it's never mentioned in American history classes, or if it is, it's barely a footnote (such as the few Americans that snuck over to England and flew for the British during the Battle for Britain), or how huge of a role Poles played.  Oh, and let's also not forget that Uncle Ho (aka Ho Chi Minh) was a key ally in Southeast Asia...

American history classes are watered down to begin with anyway.  By 4th grade you've learned all the stuff that schools are brave enough to teach, because for some reason, people think that teaching kids the real history will make them less patriotic or something.  It backfires, because when these kids eventually do learn the truths (usually as adults), they're angry that they were lied to or not told the whole story.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #4602 on: 03 Aug 2013, 13:58 »

For more on this thread and more like it see: Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen or any book other then one the /man/ wants you to read.

We also gloss hard over bad shit we did. When I first got in to the real details of the American Indian Wars I actually wept.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #4603 on: 03 Aug 2013, 15:23 »

let me break it down for ya
I'm willing to bet that Russia and the Eastern Front were not mentioned at all, because again, dirty commies.
You'd lose that bet my friend.  Each county of each state in the US generally has their own curriculum and because we have to cover the cold war the ruskies are mentions, mainly the battle of stalingrad, kiev, and berlin.  Also because of the negotiations with US UK and USSR they get mentioned a bit (as they are the "big 3" allied powers).  China is only mentioned with he rape of Nanking which prompted the US to cut exports to japan (which in turn lead to the japanese attacking the US).  Mind you this is just what I remember in highschool.  College is VERY different and outs to teach everything about everything (even took an entire class on the Chinese revolutions in the 20th century myself) and being a history buff I know waaaayyy more than they teach in high school.

Not to mention, Americans are extremely ethnocentric when it comes to their contributions in wars.
eh not really just in wars.   :wink:  We are by our very nature xenophobic and ethnocentric because that has been our policy since the colonization of the Americas (before we were the US).

If they didn't have a hand in something or played only a small role, then it's never mentioned in American history classes
boxer rebellion is hardly mentioned and WW1 is mentioned a bit but more on the tech and european bickering than our involvment.   I will say that world history in our public schools is everything before america.  Everything after america's founding is in US history courses.  We dont really have a world history class that I can rememeber.

such as the few Americans that snuck over to England and flew for the British during the Battle for Britain
that is mentioned actually but nothing else really.  Just small paragraphs on everything leading up to pearl harbor.

American history classes are watered down to begin with anyway. By 4th grade you've learned all the stuff that schools are brave enough to teach, because for some reason, people think that teaching kids the real history will make them less patriotic or something.
  think most countries history about themselves are like that for young children.  Believe it or not we actually do speak about slavery and the civil rights movements in great detail and those arnt exactly the most proud moments of our country.  Hell I never knew race was an issue until we learned about MLKjr and the civil rights movements in 1st grade.

It backfires, because when these kids eventually do learn the truths (usually as adults), they're angry that they were lied to or not told the whole story.

couldn't be far from the truth, mainly because most Americans don't care to learn history or geography.

back to our regularly schedule bit of awesome

« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2013, 19:24 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4604 on: 03 Aug 2013, 19:51 »

We also gloss hard over bad shit we did. When I first got in to the real details of the American Indian Wars I actually wept.
America in Central America.  Specifically Coca Cola and United Fruit Company.  Oh yeah, and Blair Mountain (early 1900s).

Have fun.

You'd lose that bet my friend.  Each county of each state in the US generally has their own curriculum and because we have to cover the cold war the ruskies are mentions, mainly the battle of stalingrad, kiev, and berlin.  Also because of the negotiations with US UK and USSR they get mentioned a bit (as they are the "big 3" allied powers).
Ok, I was exaggerating :P  Even so, I'm willing to bet that their overall contribution to the war was very downplayed in the material.

Believe it or not we actually do speak about slavery and the civil rights movements in great detail and those arnt exactly the most proud moments of our country.  Hell I never knew race was an issue until we learned about MLKjr and the civil rights movements in 1st grade.
Yeah, so did we at my school (I went to school in MN).  However, the finer details, so to say, aren't really covered, such as how the FBI worked to suppress MLK and whatnot.  Slavery...I'm not touching that.  Too easy a topic to get people angry and riled up over.

couldn't be far from the truth, mainly because most Americans don't care to learn history or geography.
And that is sad.  And also why people continue to act like they always have.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #4605 on: 04 Aug 2013, 00:33 »

Actually, the odd thing is, the russian contributions on both sides of the conflict got covered extensively. So, it's not an anti commie thing. But as far as my curriculum goes China lay there and took it.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4606 on: 04 Aug 2013, 05:50 »

George’s coworker begins sending memos wherein every number is accompanied by some parenthetical factoid or statistic. He finds it unusual but informative, and feels as though the references give him a better understanding of the figures involved. Soon, other memos from other coworkers appear with similar definitions, not just for numbers but for words. Eventually, every memo reads like a postmodernist list of encyclopedic associations, and he can’t even discern what the original intents of any of the messages actually are.

Kramer is baffled to find that eggs no longer come in dozens [from the old form of the French word douzaine, meaning “a group of twelve"], but in elevens instead, in strange, trapezoidal [from Greek τραπέζιον (trapézion), literally “a little table"] cartons with staggered rows. He asks one of the store’s employees about it, but they claim that eggs have only ever come in elevens [the 5th smallest prime number]. As he progresses through the store, he finds that other items seem to come in groups of one fewer than expected: five-packs of beer, seven-packs of hot dog buns, nine-packs of hot dogs, three-packs of toilet paper rolls. Alarmed, he drops his eggs and runs out of the store, only to find that it seems later in the day than expected. He checks his watch, but there are only eleven hours on the dial. “But that doesn’t make sense," he mutters. “That’s two less hours in the day!" His realization seems to set off a chain reaction, as groupings of like items begin decreasing before his very eyes. Windows disappear from buildings. Parking meters become rapidly less expensive. Branches disappear from trees. He looks down at his hands to find two fingers and a thumb [from Proto-Indo-European tum, meaning “swelling", a primary characteristic among primates] on each one. Horrified, he runs as fast as he can to Jerry’s.

A handful of people follow Jerry home from a show. He tries to shake them, ducking into alleyways and shopping centers, but instead of losing them, others seem to join in the pursuit. Eventually he finds himself followed by three thousand people [≈ population of Falkland Islands, nation].

Kramer arrives, stumbling, and grabs Jerry by the collar as best as he can with the sole fingers remaining on each of his hands. "Thank God I found you, Jerry!" he wails, struggling to speak clearly with only one tooth left in his mouth.

"Thank God I found you," says Jerry. He turns to gesture at the crowd of people trailing behind him, but there is now only one man left from the original group, standing on the only street left in Manhattan [originally settled in the year 1, it is the only borough of New York City, with a population of 2]. Jerry and Kramer enter the only building, through its only door, and go into the only apartment inside, where they share the only bed. “Goodnight," sputters Kramer to himself as he shuts off the only light left in the world with his lone remaining arm [the only limb on the human body].

Seinfelt.tumblr.com
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4607 on: 04 Aug 2013, 06:20 »

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4608 on: 04 Aug 2013, 10:29 »

Actually, the odd thing is, the russian contributions on both sides of the conflict got covered extensively. So, it's not an anti commie thing. But as far as my curriculum goes China lay there and took it.
Really?  Damn that must've been an interesting class then...

« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2013, 11:29 by Sorflakne »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4609 on: 04 Aug 2013, 12:21 »

I have that hat in the chinese teacher picture.

I honestly wouldnt know how to react to this
http://imgur.com/gallery/6zfL0
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2013, 12:28 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4610 on: 04 Aug 2013, 15:34 »

The reincarnation of Orson Welles. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4611 on: 04 Aug 2013, 16:19 »

I have that hat in the chinese teacher picture.

Who doesn't?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4612 on: 04 Aug 2013, 16:27 »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4615 on: 05 Aug 2013, 18:23 »

where I got it from
http://imgur.com/gallery/rgRHh

moving on

« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2013, 20:41 by LeeC »

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #4616 on: 06 Aug 2013, 07:33 »

Teachers being amazing

Brilliant. I want to be that kind of teacher. One day, I will join the ranks of awesome teachers everywhere.

.....one day.  :meh:
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #4617 on: 06 Aug 2013, 11:46 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Spiff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #4619 on: 07 Aug 2013, 08:16 »

Mankind is doomed, for Lego has confirmed a set based on the Simpsons:

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/A-darkness-looms-on-the-horizon/td-p/6985858

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4620 on: 07 Aug 2013, 09:00 »

Wow, those people take lego really seriously.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4621 on: 07 Aug 2013, 09:07 »

All I've got reading that thread is... Batman? Star Wars? Way more violent than Simpsons in the grand scheme of the series' run.

Also this:
I don't like the Simpson's either and have never watched it.

1. If you live with access to a TV, how have you never watched The Simpsons?

2. If you have never watched it, how can you saw you don't like it?

3.  :psyduck:

Spiff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #4622 on: 07 Aug 2013, 10:18 »

3.  :psyduck:
To quote one of Homer's workmates:
Carl: "It's best not to think about it."

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #4623 on: 07 Aug 2013, 12:46 »

Oh my god the reactions on that thread :psyduck:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4624 on: 07 Aug 2013, 12:55 »

« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2013, 14:21 by LeeC »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #4625 on: 07 Aug 2013, 14:27 »

Overthinking Pixar

Honestly, there are links between most/all of the Pixar films that go deeper than the recurring A133.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4626 on: 07 Aug 2013, 14:33 »

I...love this...I don't know why.  Its just so damn classy.  :-D

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #4627 on: 07 Aug 2013, 17:54 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4628 on: 07 Aug 2013, 18:17 »

Responses to the above:

Elizabeth Moss just made herself more attractive to me

Jessica Biel is stupid hot, I don't give a damn about her teeth.

Kristen Stewart displays more emotional range in those brief couple seconds then she has in the entirety of her acting career to date.

Zooey Deschanel is over rated. Cute and funny in small doses, but overrated. She also looks /really/ weird without her bangs.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #4629 on: 07 Aug 2013, 18:19 »

Kristen Stewart's response is my favorite, followed closely by Anderson Coopers. Zooey Deschanel is the worst one.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4630 on: 07 Aug 2013, 18:29 »

Not a big fan of Kstew but this was cute.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #4631 on: 07 Aug 2013, 20:01 »

Eh, I don't care if she's overrated or not, I friggin LOVE Zooey Deschanel. She is SO DAMN CUTE.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4632 on: 07 Aug 2013, 21:22 »

Katy Perry is my favorite zooey deschanel
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4633 on: 07 Aug 2013, 22:47 »

You mean Zooey: Porn Star edition?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4634 on: 08 Aug 2013, 02:37 »

There were more where I found that, but one will do for now.

OK, two:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #4635 on: 08 Aug 2013, 02:42 »

Worth1000?

EDIT: I mean;

I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4636 on: 08 Aug 2013, 02:48 »

PWH and Snalin are secretly related to Dr. Moreau.

I can't believe they were so lame as to pixelate Elizabeth Moss' finger. I mean... seriously? Kirsten Stewart's reaction was best.

The Oreo-cookie casserole-pie-thing made me feel sick.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #4637 on: 08 Aug 2013, 03:33 »

Cookie-cookie-brownie is awesome. When I made it the cookie dough kinda came up around the edges and made it hard to cut, but somebody started screaming when I went to leave and he thought I was taking it with me.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #4638 on: 08 Aug 2013, 07:16 »

« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2013, 07:44 by BeoPuppy »
My Art.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #4639 on: 08 Aug 2013, 07:48 »

The Oreo-cookie casserole-pie-thing made me feel sick.

Agree.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4640 on: 08 Aug 2013, 08:10 »

that would mean katty perry does porn.  I would think Lisa Ann would fill that role....

Honestly if I ever met Katty Perry I'd go up to her and say "Hey Zooey! When did you get implants?" since people get them confuses all the time on the street.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #4641 on: 08 Aug 2013, 08:29 »

Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4642 on: 08 Aug 2013, 08:44 »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4643 on: 08 Aug 2013, 09:04 »

that would mean katty perry does porn.  I would think Lisa Ann would fill that role....

Except that Lisa Ann doesn't look close to either of them. The better one to go with in my opinion (although now retired) is Ellie Idol.

Papersatan

« Reply #4644 on: 08 Aug 2013, 10:42 »

Wrestling, apparently it's in this picture:
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #4645 on: 08 Aug 2013, 10:51 »

The older gentleman looks bored

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #4646 on: 08 Aug 2013, 11:01 »

Lol that reminds me of the Night Court where Dan convinced a woman to name her newborn child Reinhold.  The last line of the show as basically everyone saying "who the heck would name their kid Reinhold."

The Executive Producer's parents, apparently.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4647 on: 08 Aug 2013, 13:03 »

Kat, that's an excellent rear naked choke

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4648 on: 08 Aug 2013, 13:20 »

its a trick!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #4649 on: 08 Aug 2013, 13:24 »

Kat, that's an excellent rear naked choke
Near naked choke.
My Art.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 99   Go Up