THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 21:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And yes, it is time for... THE MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK!

Momo and Sam meet Marigold!
- 0 (0%)
Did you know there is a swamp down by the bike trail?
- 3 (5.9%)
ALL HAIL FROGLORD, KING OF THE AMPHIBIANS
- 15 (29.4%)
You could put her in the dishwasher!
- 1 (2%)
I am not some kind of kitchen appliance.
- 0 (0%)
Marigold consults the manual:
- 0 (0%)
"...the chassis' covering may be removed and placed in a dishwasher..." I'M TAKING A SHOWER.
- 2 (3.9%)
Momo! You're all wet! Did you fall in a LAKE?
- 1 (2%)
SQEEEEK (Hee)
- 0 (0%)
Heeeehee(SQUEEEK)STOPPIT
- 2 (3.9%)
Faye informs Raven about Padma
- 0 (0%)
Dora inquires - Shoes? YES I LOVE SHOES.
- 1 (2%)
BS. What were you really talking about?
- 0 (0%)
How do you know?
- 0 (0%)
Raven's a terrible liar.
- 0 (0%)
Same ratty Chucks since I met you.
- 0 (0%)
The right one might be a rat carcass.
- 0 (0%)
Duck duck duck BOOBS!
- 16 (31.4%)
ARGAFARGL YOU ARE SO DEAD
- 6 (11.8%)
Note to self: start knocking before entering your apartment.
- 4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2026-2030 (3-7 October 2011)  (Read 68156 times)

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
Re: WCDT: 2026-2030 (3-7 October 2011)
« Reply #100 on: 04 Oct 2011, 09:52 »

EDIT AGAIN: Uh, how do you set a dishwasher to the "gentle" cycle?
With Macguyver insanity, naturally.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #101 on: 04 Oct 2011, 10:00 »

Mine has "Light", "Normal", and "Heavy Duty" cycles. 

It also has "No Heat Dry" which I leave on.  That heating element's a waste of electricity, and besides, it deforms the tupperware...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #102 on: 04 Oct 2011, 10:02 »

It's entirely possible that Marigirl is eating better now and showering more often, which could make her look better.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #103 on: 04 Oct 2011, 10:03 »

For comic #2027...

1. Art-wise, that was an unusual pose for Marigold moving out of frame in panel #1.

2. #2027's punchline: Hah, Marigold zing!  Loved it, and hope we see more of them (character growth-wise).

3. I imagine cleaning the exterior "skin" chassis would similar in practice like Number 1013: Who'd Be John Connor? for removal and putting it in the dishwasher.

4. Jeph's Twitter comments for #2027: "Momo cleaning alternatives: car wash, dry cleaner, log flume, autoclave."   Log flume would probably be the most fun method to clean by.  To the amusement park!  /stationwagonaway

5. It is good that Samantha returns the animals her nature enthusiasm picks up, rather than the generally more harmful (to the animals) act of keeping them.  I also enjoy Samantha's nature enthusiasm as well.

6. Probably missed it in past strips &/or WCDTs, but is Momo's chassis model name "iDoru" or "Idoru"?  Hard to tell looking at that "User Manual" in #2027.

7. Also, saw the Twitter drama (redundant phrase, I know :roll:) in the older posts.  Jeph is absolutely correct: even jokingly suggesting a former alcoholic go back to drinking for any reason is extremely poor form.  If anyone said such to me in Real Life, they have a high risk of getting punched in the face.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2011, 16:27 by pendrake »

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #104 on: 04 Oct 2011, 10:07 »

It's 'Idoru'.  Strip 1996 has a sign in the background.
"It's not safe there."

ChristineIrene

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #105 on: 04 Oct 2011, 10:22 »

Marigold's skin is definitely clearer than when she first showed up, that's one of the first things I noticed in this strip in the last panel. Before it seemed she had really bad acne.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #106 on: 04 Oct 2011, 10:44 »

Dunno about acne but she was the only character who had these black dots in her face.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #107 on: 04 Oct 2011, 11:02 »

I'm intrigued that Momo is intent on being treated as a human. Has she been like that all along, feeling trapped in a KawaiiPC chassis?

I was wondering about mentioning this myself because I noticed it too-- Momo's chassis situation bore a strange resemblance to someone dissatisfied with their own gender and getting a sex-change. I mean, the Sven daydream alone (shall I link that comic? Do you know what I'm talking about? /sarcasm) says a lot about what she wanted deep down, and that had to be months ago in comic time. Then, Marigold tries to bribe Momo with the chassis she'd been looking at, meaning she's been looking at a new chassis long and frequently enough for Marigold to notice. And once she got the new skin, she's so moved she cries, says she loves her, and later feels compelled to reiterate that gratitude. The point is, I think Momo's wanted this deeply for a long time, and she seems much more in her element now that she's upgraded.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #108 on: 04 Oct 2011, 11:52 »

I have GOT to get out of the habit of staying up for QC.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #109 on: 04 Oct 2011, 11:57 »

I have GOT to get out of the habit of staying up for QC.

I´ve got to get out of the habit of starting my day/work only after I read QC  :psyduck:

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #110 on: 04 Oct 2011, 12:01 »

I'm intrigued that Momo is intent on being treated as a human. Has she been like that all along, feeling trapped in a KawaiiPC chassis?

I was wondering about mentioning this myself because I noticed it too-- Momo's chassis situation bore a strange resemblance to someone dissatisfied with their own gender and getting a sex-change. I mean, the Sven daydream alone (shall I link that comic? Do you know what I'm talking about? /sarcasm) says a lot about what she wanted deep down, and that had to be months ago in comic time. Then, Marigold tries to bribe Momo with the chassis she'd been looking at, meaning she's been looking at a new chassis long and frequently enough for Marigold to notice. And once she got the new skin, she's so moved she cries, says she loves her, and later feels compelled to reiterate that gratitude. The point is, I think Momo's wanted this deeply for a long time, and she seems much more in her element now that she's upgraded.

She's wanted to be a big girl for a long time...

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #111 on: 04 Oct 2011, 12:45 »

How would you dry the skin layer? Clothes dryer? Dishwasher's warm-dry cycle? Hang it on the line?
I can see Momo sitting around in her skinless chassis (and a bathrobe, for the lafz) waiting while her integument hangs from a couple clothespins.

I made an forum account just so I could say I support seeing this - even if doing so might probably end up turning Jeph's finger's into pretzels drawing all the funky mechanical details.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #112 on: 04 Oct 2011, 12:54 »

That's what I meant by profoundly creepy.  I've had IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN running through my head all day, with that mental image of Momo's hollow-eyed skin flapping in the breeze, or over a balcony.  High-octane-nightmare fuel indeed.

SQUEEZE BOX

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #113 on: 04 Oct 2011, 12:57 »

1533 would be a lot more disturbing with new Momo.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #114 on: 04 Oct 2011, 13:12 »

I really like how Marigold looks in this comic. I've been rereading the comic in chunks and her skin has cleared up a lot. It could be most Jeph's art evolving but her overall appearance seems cleaner and maintained. The only thing the same is her clothes but since she's home a lot, I can understand sticking to the comfy clothes.
It's also fun seeing her joke around with Momo.

Today and yesterday's comic has made me realize I want to see more frogs in the comic.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #115 on: 04 Oct 2011, 13:20 »

She really looks healthier than the first time we saw her back in 1413. Good for her!  :-)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #116 on: 04 Oct 2011, 13:37 »

I don't think Hanners has returned the boyfriend bot yet...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Cornan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #117 on: 04 Oct 2011, 13:50 »

The problem is, Howard Tayler shames every webcomic artist out there.

The dude's data center caught on fire and he still managed to get the comic posted on time. The man is a robot and shouldn't be used as a comparison for any mere human. Amazes me every day when Schlock is up right on time. I keep thinking that eventually he'll run out of buffer.

As far as today's strip goes the smirk on Marigold when she reads out of the manual was just perfect. It's the exact same face that my girlfriend has when she's caught me out being wrong about something and can prove it.  :roll:

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #118 on: 04 Oct 2011, 14:15 »

i would've liked to see momo without her chassis covering.

wait, that didn't sound right.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #119 on: 04 Oct 2011, 14:16 »

I don't think Hanners has returned the boyfriend bot yet...

My mind made the same connection, so I had a browse through the archives. As far as I can tell, last we saw of him was Hanners putting him back in the box after saying in the previous strip that she would return him and it'd be creepy to keep him. So whether he's still around is unknown, but I would presume she followed up on her word and didn't keep his exoskeleton in her closet for surreptitious ass-grabbing.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #120 on: 04 Oct 2011, 14:24 »

He's sitting on a shelf in the back at Idoru...

Charlotte spends a lot of time back there when she's not toying with the customers. 

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #121 on: 04 Oct 2011, 14:46 »

So were the robot posters on the wall always there or are they Momo's new teen robot heartthrob crushes?
They've always been on the wall. Take a look back at the Sven/Momo dream sequence; they were there back then as well.

so they are... nice memory, jwhouk

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #122 on: 04 Oct 2011, 14:54 »

So, we get the Obligatory Bathhouse Shower scene so prevalent in Anime?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #123 on: 04 Oct 2011, 17:00 »

I like the fact that Marigold is reading a Manual, when I get the distinct impression that Momo's new Chassis probably has it installed already and she's probably accessed it to learn about the care and operation of her her new Chassis.

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

emeraldbeacon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #124 on: 04 Oct 2011, 22:00 »

Oddly enough, I absolutely saw Sam's RL doppleganger today at work (Michaels craft store).  A girl, around age 12, brown hair pulled back into a ponytail, freckles and a pretty deep tan, red shirt and blue jeans, looking very tomboyish.

Then she asked me where feathers and rhinestones were...  :psyduck:

Aethir

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #125 on: 04 Oct 2011, 23:27 »

Another day, another intarwebz drama.  :-o - oh, wait, intarwebz... says it all, really.
Today's random additions to the discussion, then...

Marigold, looking cuter than ever
Her new social circle is working wonders for her! I daresay having Cyclone Hannelore go thru her room like a cleaning dervish on meth (and embarrassing the hell outta Marbear in the process) might have had something to do with it; the attention she seems to receive whenever she makes an effort to dress up would certainly have boosted her self-image/esteem problems, so it's only logical that she'd clean up her act a bit. I still think she's hell cute when she dances, too :D

Momo-tan
Perhaps, her enthusiasm for her new chassis stems from having less creepy old guys ogling her... even for an Anthro, I'd say being seen as a fetishist object rather than an entity with identity/personality/emotions would become pretty tiresome, especially when (at least in this case) it seemed that Momo was... less than happy about her original chassis to begin with. It also makes her look more ordinarily human, which I assume would go some way towards assuaging any latent or overt complexes Momo may have about Anthro-racism and her self-perception of her place and acceptance in society...

Twitter-douche
Kudos to Jeph for handling it as calmly and rationally as possible given the circumstances. I know myself how easy it can be to let seemingly off-hand comments run rampant amidst your neuroses; I congratulate Jeph on both his patience, and his triumph over an adverse situation. Addictions suck ass.

Posting times, and the irrelevance thereof
First - I'm on the other side of the Blue Marble, in southern Australia. So with timezones by Beelzebub and Co., it's rare that I'd ever be actually at home and/or awake enough to spam F5 around the general upload time. However! Even if I lived the next street over, who am I to get narky about when a strip gets posted? Real life happens, people. Well, at least to some of us. I'm just grateful that Jeph sees fit to share his prodigious talents with me the world :)

(especially when seen in the light of some other comics which have fallen by the wayside; a delay of a couple of hours is SFA compared to a strip that was meant to be updated 28th of August... and which still remains in limbo. No reasoning, apologies, nada. Just a cold slap in the face where one of my fave strips used to be.)

</rant>

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #126 on: 05 Oct 2011, 00:25 »

Did I say "welcome" yet, by the way?

That's a good point about possible psychological effects from Hannelore's cleanup. Her surroundings were probably sapping her energy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #127 on: 05 Oct 2011, 01:59 »

Wow, I missed the big argument on Twitter, but Jeph dealt with that guy like a champion. Telling someone who he clearly knows has had problems with alcohol in the past to start drinking again is just unbelievable. Yet if we are to believe Jeph's tumblr, he managed to turn such a devestating insult into inspiration to get a comic done regardless of how late it would be.

What a guy. :D
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2011, 02:50 by WAYF »

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #128 on: 05 Oct 2011, 04:22 »

I guess it'd be reasonable to assume that Hannelore likes everything squeaky clean...
Oh wait, Jeph already made that joke...

Wait, what is Hannelore doing entering a bathroom when there's clearly someone else using it?
 :psyduck:

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #129 on: 05 Oct 2011, 04:53 »

Today's strip reminds me of one from Wapsi Square (Warning: contains spoilers).

I think someone needs to remind Hannelore how she used to feel when someone invaded her personal space.  Momo is just as deserving of respect as everyone else in the strip.
Francisco

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #130 on: 05 Oct 2011, 05:03 »

Momo wearing a towel makes me wonder if they made her anatomically correct .

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #131 on: 05 Oct 2011, 05:32 »

Stoppit, Hannelore. Seriously! Looks like the new Momo is reluctant to administer those small electric shocks.

Also the question about seams on Momo's 'skin' is now definitely settled. Or could a garment have so thin straps?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #132 on: 05 Oct 2011, 05:35 »

So now I have the image of a Barbie doll in my head.  :roll:

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #133 on: 05 Oct 2011, 05:39 »

Hmm what is Marigold doing ? She's just sitting there, apparently. So un-WoW-nerd-ish !

@Skewbrow: Err of course Momo doesnt shock people left and right just because they annoy her.
Carpe Diem

Aethir

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #134 on: 05 Oct 2011, 05:44 »

If they didn't, then I don' wanna know where the eels come out of...

Did I say "welcome" yet, by the way?
And here I was thinking that warm, fuzzy feeling was just the Ewok-skin jerkin I'm wearing.  :wink:

Wait, what is Hannelore doing entering a bathroom when there's clearly someone else using it?
Hannelore's perception of 'property boundaries' (as distinct from personal ones) seem to be hazy at best... after all, she's appeared in Marten's place so many times I think they've stopped wondering how she gets in. (My theory is she set up a card skimmer, and cloned everyone's entrance keycards.) Besides which, given her propensity for bathroom conversations, she just seems to gravitate towards them. Perhaps the hygiene factor makes her more comfortable?

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #135 on: 05 Oct 2011, 05:54 »

Surprisingly, the bathroom is usually the cleanest room in the house, and the toilet seat is the cleanest spot in the bathroom.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #136 on: 05 Oct 2011, 06:01 »

THE BEST HANNERFACE EVER IN PANEL 7 :psyduck:

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #137 on: 05 Oct 2011, 06:16 »

Now that's what i call "squeaky clean" ;o)
9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #138 on: 05 Oct 2011, 06:16 »

I guess it'd be reasonable to assume that Hannelore likes everything squeaky clean...
Oh wait, Jeph already made that joke...

:psyduck:

In case no one pointed it out - she's not in the bathroom; she just came out of the shower.

By the way: nice fanservice. That is, if you're into RealDolls, I guess...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #139 on: 05 Oct 2011, 06:48 »

Depends on the universe.  In QCverse the selling point of RealDolls is that they are AI-less.   :psyduck:
"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"
"Your ass looks fat in that skirt.  I mean, yes Ma'am."

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #140 on: 05 Oct 2011, 06:55 »

@Skewbrow: Err of course Momo doesnt shock people left and right just because they annoy her.

Well, I am uncertain, whether in this case a tiny shock would be considered self-defence or not :-D

And the threat of a shock is more effective than the actual shock (except apparently in Hannelore's case).
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #141 on: 05 Oct 2011, 07:03 »

Ok, I laughed pretty hard at today's comic.  I imagine the squeaking sound to be one of those sounds that makes the roots of your molars feel like they're tingling and vibrating at the same time.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #142 on: 05 Oct 2011, 07:39 »

I like to think that it's the same sound that you can make with some soffas...

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #143 on: 05 Oct 2011, 07:40 »

Uh.

I dont consider todays comic a "fanservice". And I consider it kind of insulting to call Momo a "realdoll". For if AnthroPCs would be real, I wouldnt consider them even half as supercreepy as these "realdolls".

Realdolls are build to look like people, but they are dead and have never been alife. They are basically artificial corpses. Corpses made for sex ! Now thats extremely creepy.

QCs AnthroPCs arent just made for sex, more like not at all, and they basically behave like people. They also only look a lot, but not perfectly, like real people. So yeah, the creepy factor really isnt there.
Carpe Diem

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #144 on: 05 Oct 2011, 07:46 »

but they are dead and have never been alife.

How can something be dead if it has never been alive in the first place?

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #145 on: 05 Oct 2011, 07:48 »

I doubt it. I imagine the towel is not so much for Momo's own sake, so much as for the fact that humans would probably feel very awkward if they walked in on an AnthroPC 'naked'. It may only be synthetic replica-skin, and she may have no rude bits, but from a lifetime of social etiquette, the majority of humans would still be pretty embarassed by it. Momo does have that social protocol database, after all, and I suspect it includes the general consensus that naked humanoids walking around public places is a no-no.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #146 on: 05 Oct 2011, 09:19 »

lulz from Jeph's twitter:

Quote from: Jeph
Photo: Alternate version of QC #2028: http://jephjacques.com/post/11061895016/alternate-version-of-qc-2028
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #147 on: 05 Oct 2011, 09:23 »

Towel is funny. Momo 2.0 in towel is cute and funny. Momo in towel followed by Hannelore in silly mode is more cute and funny. Marigold baffled by preceding is even more so.

Sometimes things are just funny.

EDIT: So they found the high-frequency sound that sets off Hanners' built-in defense mechanism?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Precipice

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #148 on: 05 Oct 2011, 10:01 »

I doubt it. I imagine the towel is not so much for Momo's own sake, so much as for the fact that humans would probably feel very awkward if they walked in on an AnthroPC 'naked'. It may only be synthetic replica-skin, and she may have no rude bits, but from a lifetime of social etiquette, the majority of humans would still be pretty embarassed by it. Momo does have that social protocol database, after all, and I suspect it includes the general consensus that naked humanoids walking around public places is a no-no.

I disagree, I think being seen naked would embarrass Momo just as much as any human. Strip 2002 shows that she didn't like it when Pintsize tried to peek up her skirt before her upgrade; now that she's bigger than him, she can finally take revenge.

I suspect that being seen without her skin on would be even more embarrassing.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #149 on: 05 Oct 2011, 10:22 »

Sometimes things are just funny.
Raven's line in 469* reminds me of Futurama.

Leela: Fry got his head stuck in a crater.
Fry: (sadly) I thought it would fit.

*Previously Unaware Poet
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up