THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 23:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And yes, it is time for... THE MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK!

Momo and Sam meet Marigold!
- 0 (0%)
Did you know there is a swamp down by the bike trail?
- 3 (5.9%)
ALL HAIL FROGLORD, KING OF THE AMPHIBIANS
- 15 (29.4%)
You could put her in the dishwasher!
- 1 (2%)
I am not some kind of kitchen appliance.
- 0 (0%)
Marigold consults the manual:
- 0 (0%)
"...the chassis' covering may be removed and placed in a dishwasher..." I'M TAKING A SHOWER.
- 2 (3.9%)
Momo! You're all wet! Did you fall in a LAKE?
- 1 (2%)
SQEEEEK (Hee)
- 0 (0%)
Heeeehee(SQUEEEK)STOPPIT
- 2 (3.9%)
Faye informs Raven about Padma
- 0 (0%)
Dora inquires - Shoes? YES I LOVE SHOES.
- 1 (2%)
BS. What were you really talking about?
- 0 (0%)
How do you know?
- 0 (0%)
Raven's a terrible liar.
- 0 (0%)
Same ratty Chucks since I met you.
- 0 (0%)
The right one might be a rat carcass.
- 0 (0%)
Duck duck duck BOOBS!
- 16 (31.4%)
ARGAFARGL YOU ARE SO DEAD
- 6 (11.8%)
Note to self: start knocking before entering your apartment.
- 4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2026-2030 (3-7 October 2011)  (Read 68218 times)

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: WCDT: 2026-2030 (3-7 October 2011)
« Reply #50 on: 03 Oct 2011, 16:47 »

Did the frog bite Sam? Do frogs bite?

♪ Frogger Girl! Frogger Girl!♪

Look out criminals here she comes!

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #51 on: 03 Oct 2011, 17:50 »

If they survive said mistakes. It's the not surviving, possibly, that gives many parents nightmares. It's getting to the point that a parent may be considered irresponsible for NOT being overprotective (see stoutfiles' post above).

The overprotective ones don't think ahead and realize they may be creating adult children who can't do a thing for themselves even well past the age of 18.

I'm all for kids having adventures, but a 13 year old running around with a robot she just met and who knows very little about the world can be considered a good idea.

Just one of those situations where you say "let kids be kids" and then something happens and people wonder why the parents are so horrible.  How about going places with your kids, let them bring their friends, and give them their space?  They don't need to be experiencing the city alone at 13.

Of course this could all be moot and Padma could be in the hall.

BlueMark

• Plantmonster
« Reply #52 on: 03 Oct 2011, 17:54 »

Why did Momo knock on her own door?  Look at panel 2  - She wanted to make dramatic entrance: Look Marigold! Momo was in a swamp! She's covered in mud!  She and Sam found Frogzilla! It's so freaking cool!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #53 on: 03 Oct 2011, 18:21 »

How's it different from being out with an agemate? Except that her physical safety is way better because of Momo's defense system.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #54 on: 03 Oct 2011, 18:26 »

How's it different from being out with an agemate? Except that her physical safety is way better because of Momo's defense system.

I'm not just not in the camp of allowing two 13 year-old's to run around a large city.  Agree to disagree.  While Momo may be strong, the inverse could be that the abductor is a robot.  A world with robots that own military grade weapons and have free will would not make me feel better about letting a kid roam free.

I also imagine Froglord's motif to be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUQcS4xhhqo&feature=related

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #55 on: 03 Oct 2011, 19:00 »

I like that Momo's having fun, but am I the only one who doesn't really necessarily like today's change in her? It just seems ... off to me. She was her normal self during the hike, as far as I could tell. But it's almost like something sprung loose in her, and I wouldn't mind her being this way if she were a totally new character..... Again, I'm fine with her making friends and doing fun things, but she doesn't seem the same anymore. Maybe it's just a "today's strip" thing, but it just really threw me off because it was almost like she was a different character altogether.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #56 on: 03 Oct 2011, 19:14 »

I'm not just not in the camp of allowing two 13 year-old's to run around a large city.  Agree to disagree.
On what constitutes a large city for one thing. According to Wikipedia:

"The city of Northampton is the county seat of Hampshire County, Massachusetts, United States. As of the 2010 census, the population of Northampton's central neighborhoods, (excluding its outer, incorporated villages, Florence, Massachusetts and Leeds, Massachusetts,) was 28,549."

How about going places with your kids, let them bring their friends, and give them their space?
It's hard to "give space" when hovering close enough to intervene at every threat, real or imagined.  I was never in any doubt about being "under supervision" when my parents were anywhere in the vicinity.  Actually, that's still true...  :laugh:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #57 on: 03 Oct 2011, 19:29 »

Fictional Northampton doesn't seem to have much in the way of street crime, and adult company wouldn't help anyway in situations such as scimitar-wielding kung fu monks jumping out of vans.

There's a really interesting question here. Does Momo count as adult supervision? She's considered an adult or near-adult for employment purposes. She sometimes acts like a child. She's responsible enough to go out and get a job. She looks after Marigirl, but that doesn't require being an adult.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

gangler

« Reply #58 on: 03 Oct 2011, 19:58 »

I've actually been wondering about that. For all that it appears to be a city, and the characters talk as if they live in a city, the whole setting seems quite rural. Never been anything huge I can put my finger on, but once in a while I'll see something small and just kind of note how townish it seems.

That's a very small population. Puts things in perspective and makes them make more sense. If it's a city it's just barely so. A lot of the town rules apply and there probably isn't quite so much suspicion directed at the neighbors.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 03 Oct 2011, 21:19 »

So were the robot posters on the wall always there or are they Momo's new teen robot heartthrob crushes?

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #60 on: 03 Oct 2011, 21:30 »

Did we forget that Momo is the walking taser? At the very least she could probably defend Sam, if need be. 
SQUEEZE BOX

gangler

« Reply #61 on: 03 Oct 2011, 21:41 »

If one of my sister's new preadolescence friends had a tazer with her I'd hardly be comforted.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #62 on: 03 Oct 2011, 22:23 »

She can also shoot live eels out of her...

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #63 on: 04 Oct 2011, 01:04 »

I can't help but hear this:

And de Froglord comes in de niiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

FROGLOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRD!

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

nonethousand

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #64 on: 04 Oct 2011, 01:11 »

quite a heavy discussion on Mr Jaques twitter... :|

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #65 on: 04 Oct 2011, 01:22 »

I get Jeph's pain over the criticism; as many people may say they love your creative work, that one critic, especially that one ASSHOLE critic who's intentionally nasty, can really get you down. All you can do is keep in mind all the people who gush over your work and keep doing it for them-or keep doing it for yourself, if compliments about your work are few and far between. But this forum alone shows that's definitely not the case for Jeph.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #66 on: 04 Oct 2011, 01:37 »

Maaaan, what a downer..

Complaining about that free webcomic you enjoy completely free (did I mention that you don't pay for it) 5 days a week not being there on time... :psyduck:

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #67 on: 04 Oct 2011, 01:52 »

Maaaan, what a downer..

Complaining about that free webcomic you enjoy completely free (did I mention that you don't pay for it) 5 days a week not being there on time... :psyduck:

I think it depends on the situation. I don't mind when comics are late usually, but Rich Burlew (Guy who does order of the stick) actually annoys me with how he takes it. Anyone making any comment, including one person on the forums asking if Burlew was sick because he has mentioned medical problems in the past and hasn't updated for 6 months, was banned for 'bothering the creator about updates'.

Not saying that everyone does that, but yeah. I also take issues with guys like Gallagher who does Megatokyo and all of his 'I'll get to this when I feel like it' on his website when his comic is his main source of income and gives snide answers when people ask when he will feel like it. Not to mention the fact that he's frequently so far behind on updates... But rant mode off.

I like Jephs work and when it is late or there are problems he will usually say such, thus I don't mind at all. The whole webcomic thing with creator vs. readers for update schedules and the like...well it's sort of a weird area for me, but meh.

On a different note, giant frogs are amusing but I fear what pintsize would do if he realized he had a potential mount.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #68 on: 04 Oct 2011, 02:14 »

Just remembered that Marigold had a traumatic frog experience as a kid...

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #69 on: 04 Oct 2011, 03:19 »

Maaaan, what a downer..

The thing is, there are asshats like that everywhere. Suck it up and get on with your life. One guy is not gonna be the end of you.

gangler

« Reply #70 on: 04 Oct 2011, 03:22 »

Eh, sometimes you're just having a rough day and something that normally wouldn't be that big a deal is anyway. We all have them. Hopefully he'll feel better soon.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #71 on: 04 Oct 2011, 03:24 »

Not the first time he was late :) can happen.
Carpe Diem

Hebes

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #72 on: 04 Oct 2011, 04:15 »

quite a heavy discussion on Mr Jaques twitter... :|

Indeed. I'm glad he decided to spite that dude and make the comic.

For those who don't follow Jeph on twitter or tumblr, some ass wrote this to him earlier tonight on twitter:

Whatever...still waiting on a plot line. Start drinking again, if that's what it takes.

Jeph also wrote this on his tumblr as kind of a response: http://jephjacques.tumblr.com/post/11016004407/high-and-dry

So yeah, for those wondering, that's why the comic is late.
~Hebes

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #73 on: 04 Oct 2011, 04:25 »

Can't we just have yelling bird strip berating the guy that made this mess? And Sweet-tits for some ironic monologue?

Fen

• Emoticontraindication
  • Pregrinating flâneur
    • Blog!
« Reply #74 on: 04 Oct 2011, 04:52 »

Jeph should ban that guy from the comic.

Like, damn.

Also, Lolibot, similar to how Pintsize's attitude changes when you switch his language settings, it is likely that Momo's character changes once she is in a chassis that does not restrict her regional behavior. Before this she was in a Japanese chassis and was acting like a Japanese person, whereas now she acts like a Westerner.

jdreyfuss

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Any plan where you lose your hat is a bad plan.
« Reply #75 on: 04 Oct 2011, 04:53 »

Holy crap! Is Marigold starting to gain some self confidence or is that just her natural nerd snark?

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #76 on: 04 Oct 2011, 04:53 »

Can't we just have yelling bird strip berating the guy that made this mess? And Sweet-tits for some ironic monologue?

I think this is a job for the Shame Orb.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #77 on: 04 Oct 2011, 04:57 »

Quote from: Jeph
holy shit frogs are fun to draw

I'm now inclined to believe this was the entire raison d'ętre of the last two strips. :-D

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #78 on: 04 Oct 2011, 05:00 »

Do you think Marigold might machine wash Momo's 'skin'? I think it'd be great to see the internal structure of her new chassis (possibly involving someone else coming in and getting freaked out about "aagh scary metal robot" and not recognising her)

although thinking back to pintsize's comment about the anthroPC lapdancing club (chicks flashing their PCI slots) Momo might get freaked out about being seen 'naked'
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #79 on: 04 Oct 2011, 05:04 »

Jeph should ban that guy from the comic.

When I started reading this forum several years ago, people used to come on and post "F5 F5 F5" for a couple of hours during the run-up to the comic appearing.  There was no U-Stream to check in those days, but I thought it was really irritating none-the-less.  There used to be offensive comments like that tweet, too - ah, the seamy past of this place...!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #80 on: 04 Oct 2011, 05:33 »

Hmm.

So, the manual specifically says that the COVERING should be removed and put in the dishwasher.

Momo is angry, and going to take a shower. Also, she's new to her full-size humanoid form, and may not be used to showering.

Prediction: She'll forget that she's supposed to take her covering off and clean that, and short something out, requiring her to be moved back to her old chassis.

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #81 on: 04 Oct 2011, 05:51 »

I had that thought too, but I doubt Jeph plans to go there.  Not that Jeph can't be cruel to his characters, but I get the impression he's enjoying writing about Momo's new chassis too much to seriously consider putting her back in her old one.  All IMHO of course.

More practically, if her chassis can't handle a shower, what would happen if she was caught outdoors during a heavy rain?  I suspect the manual's instruction to remove the covering is required in order to make it fit inside the dishwasher: I don't know about anyone else, but I doubt I would have fit into a dishwasher when I was thirteen.  At least not without breaking something.
"It's not safe there."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #82 on: 04 Oct 2011, 05:56 »

So were the robot posters on the wall always there or are they Momo's new teen robot heartthrob crushes?

They've always been on the wall. Take a look back at the Sven/Momo dream sequence; they were there back then as well.

EDIT: And Marigold is obviously teasing Momo in that last panel.

EDIT AGAIN: Uh, how do you set a dishwasher to the "gentle" cycle?
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2011, 06:09 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #83 on: 04 Oct 2011, 06:17 »

Maybe the protective covering, ie: the skin, comes off in sections allowing it to be placed in the dishwasher?
As for the Marten/Marigold thing - that would take some serious writing and probably a year or two to unfold. Not impossible or unbelievable but...
Also, on the subject of late strips, I get it for free so I feel fortunate to get them at all. There are webcomics I follow that are very random. "Sequential Art" comes to mind. So if Jeph is running late on a strip or even misses I'm okay because I have other things to do anyway.
That's enough from me.

Bored@Work

« Reply #84 on: 04 Oct 2011, 06:20 »

I had that thought too, but I doubt Jeph plans to go there.  Not that Jeph can't be cruel to his characters, but I get the impression he's enjoying writing about Momo's new chassis too much to seriously consider putting her back in her old one.  All IMHO of course.

I certainly hope not.  I hope that Jeph enjoys drawing Kid Sister (as I have been calling her in my head) as much as he seems to....  and as much as I like seeing Momo v2.0. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #85 on: 04 Oct 2011, 06:27 »

The problem is, Howard Tayler shames every webcomic artist out there.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #86 on: 04 Oct 2011, 06:29 »

I would hope that a sentient AI wouldn't have to depend on hardware that will be destroyed if it's not kept dry.

That would be a horrible design.

The outer covering probably comes off and is dishwasher safe just for convenience.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

gangler

« Reply #87 on: 04 Oct 2011, 06:41 »

We rely on hardware that's destroyed if not kept warm. It's better, but it's still not ideal. I mean, if my house didn't have a heating system I'd freeze to death at room temperature. Weird to think that through most of the year it's some thin electrical coil in the corner of the room that allows me to type without getting frostbitten.

Definitely agree though. Seems like waterproofing would be step one in the AI design. Good proper waterproofing too. Not like those watches that are supposed to be good for fifteen feet, but heaven help you if you take them swimming after they've experienced a little wear and tear.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #88 on: 04 Oct 2011, 06:46 »

Haaaahahahhaahahahahahahahahahaaaa

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #89 on: 04 Oct 2011, 06:53 »

The thing that caught my eye today was the treadless ad in the sidebar. I'd post a pick but I haven't figured out how to put a screencap from my iPown onto the intarwebs. I thought OMG it was Marigold in the flesh. The brunette chick in the black t-shirt with the rainbow skull and crossbones.
*was getting tired of that slug*

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #90 on: 04 Oct 2011, 06:56 »

It would be profoundly creepy if Marigold had to wash Momo as stated in the instruction manual.
SQUEEZE BOX

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #91 on: 04 Oct 2011, 07:11 »

EDIT AGAIN: Uh, how do you set a dishwasher to the "gentle" cycle?
They introduced that after they invented human-sized Droids ...
Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #92 on: 04 Oct 2011, 07:31 »

Eh, my dishwasher has a gentle cycle, though it's not labelled exactly that.

It makes sense for the skin layer to be removable in any case, not least for ease of manufacturing; also, it gives the option of customising for different communities (i.e. skin colour and suchlike).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #93 on: 04 Oct 2011, 07:48 »

Eh, my dishwasher has a gentle cycle, though it's not labelled exactly that.
Yeah, on some dishwashers it's labelled "special guest" presumably in case Tai comes around.

(pun totally intended)
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #94 on: 04 Oct 2011, 08:08 »

The problem is, Howard Tayler shames every webcomic artist out there.

Damned work ethic, always getting in the way of, well, life.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #95 on: 04 Oct 2011, 08:29 »

How would you dry the skin layer? Clothes dryer? Dishwasher's warm-dry cycle? Hang it on the line?
I can see Momo sitting around in her skinless chassis (and a bathrobe, for the lafz) waiting while her integument hangs from a couple clothespins.

It occurs to me Pintsize is mostly OK after having been kept in the freezer, the toilet tank (or bowl, I can't remember which) and inside a snowman, not to mention ballistic abuse from Faye and a recent robo-noogie from Momo -- whose first chassis survived a dunking in taco meat. I hopi it's not a case of more expensive things being more delicate.

Man, I'm thinking way too much about this.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #96 on: 04 Oct 2011, 08:32 »

I'm intrigued that Momo is intent on being treated as a human. Has she been like that all along, feeling trapped in a KawaiiPC chassis?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #97 on: 04 Oct 2011, 08:56 »

For some reason I like how Marigold looks today. Specially the last panel, looks cute :P
I'm not creepy... right?  :psyduck:

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #98 on: 04 Oct 2011, 09:34 »

For some reason I like how Marigold looks today. Specially the last panel, looks cute :P
I'm not creepy... right?  :psyduck:

Not until you asked that last question, no. ;)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #99 on: 04 Oct 2011, 09:48 »

I think it might just be Jeph's evolving style but Marigold has looked exceptionally nice lately. It's really subtle though.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up