THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: The "wink wink" Thread 2010: This Time It's Personal  (Read 437496 times)

ruyi

• Beyoncé
The "wink wink" Thread 2010: This Time It's Personal
« Reply #250 on: 31 Jan 2010, 23:54 »

That sounds too funky not to download, Cathy.

(but do you have something smaller than FLAC? I'll be up til 5 AM at this rate)

Sorry, I dunno how to convert FLAC files! If someone is able to or can point me towards something I can download to do this, I'd be grateful. (I use Windows 7, have WMP, VLC.)

Mr Fantasy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #251 on: 01 Feb 2010, 05:18 »

After the first track i found it interesting enough to convert it to 320.

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?twllnyyew5t

The original upload had no tags whatsoever, but thankfully their was a tracklist.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2010, 05:20 by Mr Fantasy »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #252 on: 01 Feb 2010, 07:12 »

Thanks!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #253 on: 01 Feb 2010, 22:25 »

Hungry Kids of Hungary - Mega Mountain EP

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?gnnddtwnzvy
A band I really like from brisbane! The first song is especially catchy.

Quote from: Triple J Unearthed
The Hungry kids of Hungary is a band made up of four gents whose musical inspiration touches on Blues, Rock, Soul, R&B and 1960 style pop-rock. On the surface, their songs are catchy, rhythmic and well balanced with fetching guitar chops and contempory stylings. But also employ light and shade, and sweet vocal harmonies that'll knock the pants of you. It's basically fun and energetic music that anyone can get into...Even Grandma!

HKOH have played a massive run of shows in the last couple of months and are set to play a string of supports including The Boat People, The Seabellies, The Devoted Few, Washington and Kid Confucius.

Here's what some peeps have to say:

''Drawing on a broad range of influences including a hefty drawing from the blues, soul and rock classics of the later ‘60s, the kids provided an eclectic and soulful set of sonic surprises. You could still make comparisons to acts such as The Cold War Kids and The Shins, and while these comparisons would certainly be no crime, Hungry Kids of Hungary seem to stake their claim in a musical spot that is quite refreshing in its difficulty to pin down to an obvious, clichéd derivation of something else.'' -Live Review Oct 08- FASTER LOUDER

''seamless, intelligent shimmering pop with instant appeal '' - Pat Whyte, The Courier Mail
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Weepie McGee

• Not quite a lurker
  • orale, zombers!
« Reply #254 on: 02 Feb 2010, 12:12 »

man, that harold johnson sextet is something pretty wonderful.
i will kick your fucking ass, you rancid sack of pig shit

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #255 on: 02 Feb 2010, 16:28 »

Recently I've really been getting into this DJ calls himself Passions. He did a gothy/gloomy mix for this guy Mishka last summer I think and I've only heard it now. Not flawless, but some interesting mixes and cool transitions made it a worthy listen for me. 

Quote from: MishkaBloglin
For the past 8 months, the Keep Watch Series delivered some of the best mixes from the best artists in the world. But long before Keep Watch, Dubstep or Grime there were the artists that influenced generations of the darker side of dance music, and carved out the path that the contemporary darkwave scene is currently taking. Our longtime friend Passions created our first ever mixes (I Like Your Poems But I Hate Your Poetry  Vol.1 & 2) under his old moniker “Math Head” and we’re stoked that he’s been able to come through with his newest mix… Music Without Tears!

Passions was formed in the summer of 2006 by Brooklyner Ben Deitz, originally incorporating influences as disparate as early 80’s punk and industrial to the dance music culture from which Deitz made his name (as former Trouble & Bass wunderkind Math Head). Passions’ explosive debut single “Emergency”, for French tastemaker label Kitsune, swept the dance charts instantly, gaining acclaim from artists, magazines and blogs worldwide, and earning praise from Girl Talk, MSTRKRFT, Simian Mobile Disco, Fischerspooner and more. After perfecting a riotous style of Electro Punk with a multitude of remixes and chaotic live shows, the sound of Passions has evolved into an outlet for hauntingly bleak post punk explorations that evoke Cabaret Voltaire and Joy Division.
http://www.mediafire.com/?g0ngqumwlmw
Tracklist for Music Without Tears:
1. UK Decay – Unexpected Guest
2. Micron63 – No Divide
3. Joy Division – Means To An End
4. Pylon – Danger
5. Public Image Limited – Annalisa
6. Nitzer Ebb – Join In The Chant
7. Nine Inch Nails – Ringfinger
8. Passions – Sentiment (Instrumental)
9. Death In June – Fields
10. Cabaret Voltaire – Landslide
11. SPK – A Heart That Breaks (In No Time And Place)
12. Ulterior – Weapons (Zlaya Remix)
13. New Order – 586 (Peel Sessions Version)
14. Death In June – The Calling Mk II
15. Black Strobe – Innerstrings (No Shuffle Mix)
16. Micron63 – Death Is Colder Than Love
17. Huoratron – Corporate Occult (Passions Remix)
18. Section 25 – Looking From A Hilltop
19. Throbbing Gristle – Adrenaline
20. Alien Sex Fiend – Get Into It
21. New Order – Ecstasy
22. Suicide – Mr. Ray
23. Sonic Youth – Killin Yr. Idols
24. Ipso Facto – Baulderdash
25. Damn Arms – The Cormorant
26. Wire – On Returning
27. Oto – Anyway
28. Bauhaus – Dancing
29. The Cure – Primary
30. Passions – Composure (Instrumental)
31. Radiohead – Climbing Up The Walls
32. David Bowie – Subterraneans

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #256 on: 02 Feb 2010, 16:34 »

Awesome cover
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #257 on: 02 Feb 2010, 20:37 »

I like it already.

Since it's Autechre week over at yon blogge, I can't put up my new non-Autechre shit up so it's time I ventured back to the mediaf!re thread... for now.

Ernest Gonzalez - Been Meaning to Tell You
Got this in the radio mailbag today and it's tops - it's got at least 8 "must-plays" on it. Early running for my best of the year!

Quote from: Altsounds.com, which is the best I can do at this juncture
Ever floated in a sea of swirling guitar melodies, pumping beats and ethereal electronics? Well "Been Meaning To Tell You" will sure as hell get you close to feeling it. Ernest Gonzales knew he was onto something when he decided to mix his love for diverse music genres into one big electro-indie-hip hop melting pot. Raised in Texas, USA, Ernest’s dream started when he earned enough money to buy his first drum machine. This spawned a massive interest in music production, and eventually developed into his own hip hop and electronic label, Exponential Records.

“Been Meaning to Tell You” is an excellent achievement musically. So many have come and gone, trying to create a “new” sound by mixing clashing styles / genres. But none have ever really had that much of an edge. This is where he wins, hands down. From the haunting ‘Dancing In The Snow’ to the club-crowd pleasing ‘I’m Here You’re There’, there’s so many levels to "Been Meaning To Tell You", you almost feel like you’re in a lift when a kid has pushed all the buttons!

The artwork plays a role unto its self. Ernest picked thirteen international illustrators/artists, one for each track, and asked them to create an image evoked from that song. And the end result is what made the final spiralling image for the front cover. It definitely suits the otherworldly feel of the album. Its title certainly gives you the impression that there were a lot of different emotions being poured into each track. ‘Psychedlic Bellhop’ has some great old school Nintendo sounding fills then it grows even more interesting as it develops into almost New Order territory with driving but mellow guitar riffs. My favourite song would have to be the opening track, ‘Dancing In The Snow’. It’s such a mellow song, but at the same time has such a punch, especially once the skilful beat-boxing oozes in. Layer after layer is added – drums, guitar, organ - without ever feeling over-crowded. I especially can’t help smiling when I hear the innocent tinkling of the xylophone!

And so my opinion of "Been Meaning To Tell You" has definitely grown over the past week. I never thought my guitar-laden, verse-chorus-verse-chorus brain could enjoy this experimental journey, but my eyes have now been well and truly prized open. It will be very interesting to see where Mr Gonzales goes from here, I know I’ll look forward to hearing some more of his experiments....more beautiful electronic lullabies to drown out the rain and melt the ice.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?qjvm2x2dijr

ALSO, another would-be folk classic from a hippy who cut one album and then completely dissolved into the loveosphere. Via Zamboni Soundtracks, which you should check out if you haven't already.

Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms

Quote from: P4k (8.6)
As can be gleaned from the cover of her one and only record, Linda Perhacs was a stunning, beautiful love child. Anyone who spent the $200-400 necessary to obtain copies of the original vinyl could attest that the music she made was comparably stunning and beautiful, infused with all the trappings of being a late-sixties love child (in the best possible way).

Ace of Discs reissued her album after unsuccessful attempts to track her down, mastering from a poorly pressed vinyl copy. For whatever reason, the first issue on CD was completely unlistenable on headphones, although delightful in the open air. Since that first go-round, Perhacs has come out of her obscure Pacific Northwest woods with quarter-inch reels of the sessions, and now that Ace of Discs comes round again with a vindicating, expanded reissue, the tray card photo reveals: she's still a babe.

Anyway you eye it, this is a magical, sublimely singular piece of gentle folk-psych that belongs with those lone album classics by folks like Skip Spence or Vashti Bunyan (or the countless other souls that only released one record before disappearing into history's communal farms or funny-farm madness, like Elyse). It is a sound so personal and intimate that I can only hear it in the privacy of my own room. Although it's been near-impossible to gain biographical information about her, the experience of hearing her music reveals so much about her soul and mindset at the time that I really don't think I could share it with anyone else.

As mentioned above, she's a love child in every sense, a young woman blossoming into her sensual world. Of the elements, every song culls its images from her forest environment, permeating down into her own physical core. "Chimacum Rain" is not only the forest's silence and that sound of rain washing over her, but the palpable sexual presence of her lover, too. In almost every evocation of a tactile natural image, there is a mysterious man who physically embodies these characteristics, a tension courses through her body as she sings about these near-deities. And as she reaches the bridge with lines such as "I'm spacing out/ I'm seeing silences between leaves...I'm seeing silences that are his," her voice begins to echo within itself, and her sung notes assuage open the aural synesthesia of the words. The diaphanous taste of lysergic acid creeps to the fore, and what was once a moderately played acoustic song about the forest expands into a hallucinatory clearing as her multi-tracked held tones meld with the infinite. As her voice dilates, so does the background, now all electrically-processed source sounds like xylophones and wind chimes, and all is enveloped by a low, distorted drone that would one day sound like Phill Niblock, created by-- as the liner notes so baldly state it-- "amplified shower hose for horn effects."

It's nothing compared to the album's peak, "Parallelograms". Perhaps you fantasize that Joni Mitchell teaches painting and pottery at your high school, or that Chan Marshall mumbles about the Apocalypse poets during English class, but Perhacs teaching geometry is tantrically hot for teacher. To just read the lyrics of "Quadrehederal/ Tetrahedral/ mono-cyclo-cyber-cilia" is to miss how she and producer Leonard Rosenman assuredly layer her heavenly-sung rounds in concentric circles over a cycling guitar-picked figure, a cumulative effect that reveals a dimension scarcely achieved anywhere else in the world of music. Closer to the Mysterious Voices of Bulgaria or Tim Buckley's cellular self-choir "Starsailor" than Melanie or Linda Ronstadt, Perhacs drops us into drifting clouds of reverberating bells, echoing flute, and ghostly effluence, her throat outside of time. That a dental assistant in Northern California could more effectively convey the psychedelic experience through the use of the technology of experimental effects, be it early Pink Floyd, Fifty-Foot Hose, or Buffy Saint-Marie's electroacoustic Illuminations, is, in every clichéd use of the word, mind-blowing.

Other songs deal with girly things like brawny mountain men, dolphins, moonbeams and cattails, the pastel colors of dawn, and the recently-unearthed "If You Were My Man" reveals that she could've gone pop with a Karen Carpenter wispiness. Listening to her home demos and studio notes to Roseman though show that she was cognizant of the sound and vibration she wanted. The tape collage lobbed from "Hey Who Really Cares?" is competent-- if in hindsight, passé-- all disembodied, television voices and a telltale heart beat leading into its pastoral prettiness. Her most folky tunes stand up to the times too, but it's the fact that Linda Perhacs' entire cosmos (and whatever those times entailed) could inexplicably fit inside the confines of Parallelograms that remains the true testament to her beauty.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?yuo0iwzm2km
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2010, 20:38 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #258 on: 03 Feb 2010, 19:43 »

Pretty and Nice - Pink and Blue
It’s all very fast and blurring and tight and fun. It’d be dizzying if the songs actually gave you a chance to stop, breathe and look around, but the ride, from the flexing guitars to the unremitting clack kick and pound of the drums, is … well, pick your cliché, like a stitched in, eye-popped roller-coaster, from fast to faster to slow-ish to up to down, but the harness of those hooks never loosens.
http://www.med!afire.com/?t5nmznwyznw

I seriously suggest these guys. Give them a listen and if you like them, I'll share their newest album, also.

vickster

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #259 on: 04 Feb 2010, 08:40 »

That sounds too funky not to download, Cathy.

(but do you have something smaller than FLAC? I'll be up til 5 AM at this rate)

Sorry, I dunno how to convert FLAC files! If someone is able to or can point me towards something I can download to do this, I'd be grateful. (I use Windows 7, have WMP, VLC.)

Google FLAC encoder, download and install.  It will convert the flac's to wav files, then you can convert the wav's to mp3's using something as simple as iTunes or dBpoweramp.  Then again, VLC or even Winamp will play flac's so you don't actually have to decode them.  Most of my really collectable and traded stuff is in FLAC.  Great lossless compression encoding.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #260 on: 04 Feb 2010, 08:48 »

I have Fluke for OSX, it's just that my connection's a bit dodgy and it would have literally taken all night for the FLAC file to download.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

FidelityCastro

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #261 on: 05 Feb 2010, 11:34 »

That Harold Johnson Sextet is some kind of awesome. Don't pass it up, people.

Orcusmars

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #262 on: 05 Feb 2010, 12:20 »

Welp, I'm pretty sure only a few of you guys are going to like this, but here goes.

Takayuki Aihara, Nobuyoshi Sano - Drag-on Dragoon OST

Volume One
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?zmtmvkmzjwm
Volume Two
http://www.mediafire.com/?yjutyzrxrzqPart 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?ny2gwy3oz5nPart 2

Alright doggs and doggettes, here's the thing. This game was released in the US, and if any of you played it, you probably still remember that it was a dull, uninspired Dynasty Warriors clone with a mediocre story. However, you also probably remember how utterly mind-fucking insane said story was. Instead of dwelling on the game's faults, I want to point out its one amazing success.

The soundtrack to this game is fantastic. Every track sounds like Gustav Holst and Steve Reich had an insane and evil love-child. They sound as though they've been cut up from pieces of the world's most terrifying and ominous final boss music, then arranged in jarring, ominous, "open the bloodgates" suites that sound truly unique and terrifying. Like I said, probably only a few others are going to like this, but this is seriously something you should check out. I've never heard anything like this before.
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2010, 12:30 by Orcusmars »
There is a simple dirt path
beyond the lilacs and the roses
where earthen velvet slides a lover's arm
between the red and purple bedsheets

-"Path"

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #263 on: 05 Feb 2010, 14:16 »

Hell I'll try anything once

Mein Tumblr

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #264 on: 05 Feb 2010, 14:18 »

tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #265 on: 05 Feb 2010, 14:33 »

You busy tonight nick?

Mein Tumblr

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #266 on: 05 Feb 2010, 14:35 »

:wink:

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #267 on: 05 Feb 2010, 14:53 »

I don't believe I've ever contributed to this thread, though I have taken a great amount from it. And the other day I realized that of almost any album, this would be the one I am most eager to share.

The Hold Steady - A Positive Rage

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?nkrtgmzmvai
I'm guessing at least a few of you already have this, and I'm honestly not certain what the overall feeling is towards THS around here. But... well I quite dig them. The live CD includes a few songs off of each of their albums, and was recorded pretty much at the peak of their lineup. The songs themselves aren't too different from the originals, perhaps a bit speedier and with some more inflection thrown into some of the lyrics that are supposed to be "quotes" from the characters in their songs.

More than anything, I say download it for the live version of Killer Parties. They take an already 6-minute song and make it 11 minutes with just riffing and solos, and a purposely-stuttered declaration of the lead singer's love for what they do. I can sit and air-drum to the simple backbeat rhythm for hours. And yes, the lyrics get to me. I love the entire folklore of their music, and this album does a beautiful job of representing it.

I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #268 on: 06 Feb 2010, 00:17 »

Jets Overhead - No Nations[2009]

http://www.mediafire.com/?mitarjztgtyAwesome band from Victoria. Lead singer went to my high school.

Killing Time

Mein Tumblr

You Are Brahman!

• Plantmonster
    • Rumbelow
« Reply #269 on: 06 Feb 2010, 11:49 »

A drunk guy on the metro told me to listen to The Hold Steady and that he'd see me the following weekend at their concert.  I didn't do either, and am going to see how I feel about that decision.  :P thankyou.

vickster

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #270 on: 06 Feb 2010, 13:57 »

I have Fluke for OSX, it's just that my connection's a bit dodgy and it would have literally taken all night for the FLAC file to download.

Thanks for Fluke mention.  Had not heard of that, it'd be nice to play my flac's within iTunes.

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #271 on: 06 Feb 2010, 18:32 »

Jets Overhead - No Nations[2009]

Happy to see some Victoria bands getting love,
Here's another one for you all

Bucan Bucan - Demo Tape

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?dnmjzzajmky
They're a band that pride themselves on random appearances and a raw sound. Think of a Romanian Gogol Bordello.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2010, 18:45 by MrSteevo »
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

minus_the_david

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #272 on: 07 Feb 2010, 10:53 »

H.I.M. - Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?vtku5izzkjn
And this is the 2 disc version. the first disc being the standard album, and the second disc is an acoustic version of the entire album.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2010, 15:58 by minus_the_david »

Mr Fantasy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #273 on: 07 Feb 2010, 17:35 »

Oh boy. New HIM

My weekend is now complete.

That Ernest Gonzalez album is ace.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2010, 17:36 by Mr Fantasy »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #274 on: 07 Feb 2010, 22:15 »

dude its that guy who called me a fag cause he hated native!

hey dude that quote was my signiture for a while but i took it donw.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #275 on: 07 Feb 2010, 22:28 »

Haha that guy likes HIM
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #276 on: 07 Feb 2010, 22:45 »

Hey fags quit with the chattering and start with the musicking.

KviP - Only A Vague Grasp of the Rules (2008-2010)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?2cmz1tztz1t
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2010, 23:10 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

bwell

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #277 on: 08 Feb 2010, 00:23 »

A drunk guy on the metro told me to listen to The Hold Steady and that he'd see me the following weekend at their concert.  I didn't do either, and am going to see how I feel about that decision.

you feel fine about that decision, because the Hold Steady are like a bad bad drunk Bruce Springsteen.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #278 on: 08 Feb 2010, 01:06 »

I disagree, but instead of arguing on the internet I'm just going to throw up my collection of The Hold Steady and say that I think they're pretty ace.

The Hold Steady - Almost Killed Me

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?0tzmwom0gin
The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?mznmmcrxydt
The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls In America (Australian Release)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?r5zt0nmqwyg
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?cjzymotznzw
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2010, 01:44 by SirJuggles »
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #279 on: 08 Feb 2010, 08:55 »

So I was listening to NPR on the way home from a hockey game this weekend (Albany 7-5 Springfield, if you were interested), and heard the title track from this album. Allison then mocked me for not knowing Canadian folk music, but she doesn't know anything about her country's national winter sport, so NYAHHHH.

Stan Rogers - Northwest Passage

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmmzzmuztuz

(btw, that Surfer Blood album up near the top of this page is OUTSTANDING and I cannot stop listening to it)
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2010, 09:16 by valley_parade »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #280 on: 08 Feb 2010, 09:00 »

Stan Rogers - For The Win!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #281 on: 08 Feb 2010, 21:14 »

Handsomeboy Technique - Terrestrial Tone Cluster[2009]

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?4wumqnhi2tjBeside The Fountain
Like the Avalanches, except it's only one guy.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2010, 11:41 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #282 on: 09 Feb 2010, 08:30 »

That is so fucking good.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #283 on: 10 Feb 2010, 15:54 »

Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here
Folk week at yon blogge has pushed my would-be additions out here. A vinyl version with extra tracks is on its way to my house, presently. It's quite excellent, mostly spoken-word stuff over cold, muted trip-hop but Heron's elder bluesman's voice is on display as well.
Quote from: Pitchfork (8.5)
There were few voices that articulated the anxious, fractured state of America in the 1970s and early 80s as well as the clear baritone of Gil Scott-Heron. As a spoken-word artist and poet, he could pinpoint the fissures in the American dream and exorcise them with a wit that blended righteous anger and arch sarcasm. As a singer he could envelop those same uncomfortable confrontations in a rich, emotional tone that brought out the empathetic face of unrest. Yet except for a chorus cameo on Blackalicious' "First in Flight" and a memorable shout-out on LCD Soundsystem's "Losing My Edge", he was rarely heard or cited in the early years of America's great post-traumatic decade, even if his pained depiction of "a nation that just can't stand much more" in "Winter in America" rang as true in 2002 as it did in 1975.

Instead, Scott-Heron spent much of the 00s in and out of prison on drug charges, adding onto a long hiatus that saw him turn away from the record industry in favor of live performance and writing. Between 1983 and 2009, he released only one studio album, 1994's Spirits, so issuing his first in 16 years could've been rife with potential for a pent-up analysis of everything that's happened in the process of race relations and American culture over the last couple decades. Yet I'm New Here sees an incisive political voice turning inwards, not protesting the doings of the greater world but crafting a frank confessional over the state of his own. He does this allusively, through cover songs and short soundbite interludes and original compositions that feel like sparse flashes of a deep, once-dormant creative impulse. Yet it still feels honest, like something said out of necessity instead of opportunity, and the result is an album that engages with the idea of loneliness in exceptional ways.

I'm New Here is bookended with a two-part spoken-word track that sounds like a metatextual stunt: the quintessential hip-hop prototype discussing his upbringing over a loop of the intro to Kanye West's "Flashing Lights", returning the nod towards "Home Is Where the Hatred Is" that underpinned Late Registration's "My Way Home". But "On Coming From a Broken Home" is a powerful mission of purpose that sets the tone for the rest of the album, a reflection of his upbringing that made him the man he is today. "Broken Home" pays homage to the women in his family and the strengths they passed on to him; other interludes hint at darkly comic acknowledgements of wrongdoing, modest but defiant statements of enduring survival, and an admission that even his less desirable personality traits are an inseparable part of his identity.

Those brief interstitial statements link pieces of brain-wracked guilt and anxiety that rank as truly haunting moments: "Where Did the Night Go", a study in lonely insomnia and the inability to communicate with someone he loves, and the confession in "New York Is Killing Me" that the city that held him in an alienating grasp for so long-- "eight million people, and I didn't have a single friend"-- only makes him long for the home in Tennessee he left at 13 after his grandmother died. It's an interesting contrast to the sentiment of his 1976 song "New York City", where he sang of a metropolis he loved because it reminded him of himself. Either the personalities of the man and the city have diverged too much, or they've gotten too close for comfort.

But the most noticeable thing about Scott-Heron on this album to anyone familiar with his work is how worn his voice sounds. It's raspier and age-weathered, less agile, and occasionally prone to letting words slur and melt into each other instead of leaping out as they did back in the 70s. But Richard Russell, the album's producer and owner of XL Recordings, hit on the idea of recasting a man who came up through soul-jazz as a grizzled blues performer, and setting Scott-Heron against sandblasted folk and heavy, borderline-industrial beats augments the rawness of his voice well. Three songs reveal him as an adept interpreter of three generations' worth of roots music: Robert Johnson's "Me and the Devil" rendered as vintage Massive Attack, a minimalist, piano-driven orchestral reworking of the Brook Benton-written Bobby "Blue" Bland classic "I'll Take Care of You", and the unexpected but deftly claimed title track, sourced from Smog. And two spare, static-textured cuts late in the album, "Running" and "The Crutch", give his equally-gritty voice a fitting place in the post-Burial strain of bass music.

For an album that comes so far after its creator's last trip to the studio, it's a bit of a relief that the only cause for disappointment is its brief length. I'm New Here is less than half an hour, though in that short span it does the impressive job of reviving an artist that's been out of the spotlight far too long and setting him up for a new incarnation as an elder statesman of modern roots music. Comparisons have been made to what Rick Rubin did for Johnny Cash in the 90s, and the parallels are there: I'm New Here and American Recordings are both cover-heavy, starkly-produced releases where rebellious icons become reflective as they hit their sixties. If Gil Scott-Heron's creative resurgence continues after this reintroduction to his poignantly aging voice, we could be looking at one of the most memorably resurrected careers of our time-- a man renewed.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?xnnig2anykm
An old classic as well.

Gil Scott-Heron - Bridges

Quote from: Allmusic
Gil Scott-Heron, Brian Jackson, and the Midnight Band take a slightly different approach with their 1977 effort, Bridges. With less of the gaping and world-infused sound prevalent on previous albums, the songs are more concise and Scott-Heron comes into his own as a singer depending less on his spoken word vocal style. This album may not be one of his better-known releases (the long out of print LP is slated to make it's CD debut in the fall of 2001), but the excellent songwriting exposes Scott-Heron at the height of his powers as a literary artist. The social, political, cultural, and historical themes are presented in a tight funk meets jazz meets blues meets rock sound that is buoyed by Jackson's characteristic keyboard playing and the Midnight Band's colorful arrangements. Scott-Heron's ability to make the personal universal is evident from the opening track, "Hello Sunday! Hello Road!," all the way through to the gorgeous "95 South (All of the Places We've Been)." The most popular cut on the album, "We Almost Lost Detroit," which shares its title with the John G. Fuller book published in 1975, recounts the story of the nuclear meltdown at the Fermi Atomic Power Plant near Monroe, MI, in 1966. This song was also contributed to the No Nukes concert and album in 1980. Along with the two records that would follow in the late 70s, Bridges stands as one of Scott-Heron's most enjoyable and durable albums.
http://www.mediafire.com/?q2gfqfqg4dh
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2010, 16:12 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #284 on: 10 Feb 2010, 20:14 »

this thread seems to be moving a lot slower this year, or maybe it is just because i actually have an internet connection and i am not checking back once a week.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #285 on: 10 Feb 2010, 21:13 »

You're delusional.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #286 on: 10 Feb 2010, 21:14 »

Rules:

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to mediaf!re.com, in multiple parts if the album is over 100mbs. The reason for this is that we know mediaf!re is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums. This includes requests for re-uploads; if you miss it, try looking for it somewhere else.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #287 on: 10 Feb 2010, 21:19 »

Scorpions - Virgin Killer
Album Cover
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?gz5yzoyjzin
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2010, 06:36 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #288 on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:03 »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #289 on: 11 Feb 2010, 06:32 »

an exciting 2 people have downloaded it.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #290 on: 11 Feb 2010, 06:34 »

Hell I'll hide it behind a link from now on.

Mein Tumblr

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #291 on: 11 Feb 2010, 10:06 »

The Time And Space Machine - Volume One LP

http://www.mediafire.com/?m2is1w2v2xi
Old-school psychedelic rock.  Trippy, funky, fuzzy, soulful, groovy ... a very solid album of psychedelic jams.  Only 8 songs, with none reaching the 5 minute mark, but still a worthy addition to the collection of anyone who likes to get high and listen to music.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #292 on: 12 Feb 2010, 16:38 »

OK guys it's time for a BASSNECTAR MEGAPOST

Here is all of BassNectar's studio material, including a couple early mixtapes, in chronological order.  BassNectar is an extraordinarily prolific DJ and producer from the San Francisco Bay area, and probably my favorite single artist.  His music is self-described as "omni-tempo maximalism" and "gravitates toward heavy tempos, playing with double time and half time, and using electronic methods to embellish and reinforce other styles of music, including ragtime, punk rock, blues, batucada, polka, salsa, film scores, gangsta rap, beatboxing, balkan gypsy music, ska, death metal, and dub."

Basically Lorin Ashton, the genius behind the BassNectar project, is one of the most creative and accomplished dance facilitators in the history of electronic music, and his work represents a standard to which very few DJs can compare their own output.  I can recommend few artists more highly and universally than BassNectar.

The first two are mixtapes produced in the early part of the decade, and the rest are studio albums.  "Diverse Systems of Throb" and Disc 2 of "Mesmerizing the Ultra" have very similar tracklists, so you'll get duplicates of quite a few songs if you get them both, but there are gems on each that are not on the other as well.

BassNectar - Freak Beats for the Beat Freaks

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?jmmyktzi2nm
BassNectar - Beatfreak Bohemia

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?njzn4hzyink
BassNectar - Motions of Mutation

http://www.mediafire.com/?elooznm3mgi
BassNectar - Diverse Systems of Throb

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?nxmkywcidnn
BassNectar - Mesmerizing the Ultra

Disc 1 http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?2dkjhm3krzm
Disc 2 http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?yxygzb4zmtd

BassNectar - Underground Communication

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?neqmljmqmzc
BassNectar - Heads Up

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2jtjmd3cj2j
BassNectar - Cozza Frenzy

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?mttlnih1fjm
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2010, 07:25 by onewheelwizzard »
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

youthcant

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Bigfoot is a very lonely fellow.
« Reply #293 on: 12 Feb 2010, 18:59 »

Gay-Rodge Rawk. Garage Rock. Hipster Rock. Garbage Punk. Alabama is DOOMED!
I hit a stranger with a snow ball, and I told my Pop-Pop about it.

Smith Westerns - "s/t"
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?vghnzzniocyThis sounds just like the black eyed peas! I am totally lying. But,
seriously, Phish has nothing on these guys. Again, a lie. Gah-lee.
Smith Westerns are on tour with Girls. Finally, a fact, useless, yet a
fact. But seriously, here we have a fantastic group of youngsters, spitting out a
bunch of sticky snotty music. Thick, well collated instrumentation,
dissonant vocals, terrific album.

The Postelles - EP
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?lm9nwmcx9mxHunky-dory lo-fi-ish post-pop/garage rock.

Wizzard Sleeve
http://www.mediafire.com/?dyz2gnmwnydALABAMA IS DOOMED! Garage rock, thick synth leads, bonked out vocals,
and swift guitars. Don't call them the Blank Doggers! Terrific, Terrific, Terrific.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #294 on: 12 Feb 2010, 19:41 »

Where should I start with BassNectar?

Smith Westerns are touring with Girls? Lame
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2010, 19:55 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

Kevin Barnes

• Plantmonster
« Reply #295 on: 12 Feb 2010, 19:44 »

Where should I start with BassNectar.
First off, you make sure your hair is blonde. Then you grow it out real long and dread it. Then you read a little Marcuse, act like you understand it when you really don't, smoke a lot of dope and you're ready.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2010, 19:48 by Kevin Barnes »

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #296 on: 12 Feb 2010, 21:29 »

The Time & Space Machine (Richard Norris) is pretty good though. Norris has another project with Erol Alkan called Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve that consists basically of psychedelic re-edits of old stuff. I only have one of their earlier EPs on this computer but it is pretty good.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wnemomgoqkk
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

aflowerchild

• Larger than most fish
  • GONZO
« Reply #297 on: 13 Feb 2010, 15:31 »

oh nice! Bassnectar is coming to my area in a couple weeks! :mrgreen:
Saving every penny like Inspector Gadget reruns.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #298 on: 13 Feb 2010, 15:32 »

Where should I start with BassNectar.
First off, you make sure your hair is blonde. Then you grow it out real long and dread it. Then you read a little Marcuse, act like you understand it when you really don't, smoke a lot of dope and you're ready.
Aren't you a treasure trove of knowledge.

Mein Tumblr

Kevin Barnes

• Plantmonster
« Reply #299 on: 13 Feb 2010, 15:39 »

I am a motherfucking scientist.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44   Go Up