THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Feb 2024, 21:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: The M/F Thread 2009: The Quickening  (Read 728531 times)

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
The M/F Thread 2009: The Quickening
« Reply #1900 on: 23 May 2009, 12:11 »

The Capstan Shafts
Quote from: allmusic
The Capstan Shafts is the guise prolific songwriter Dean Wells has been recording under since 1999. Hailing from Lyndonville, VT, Wells has most often been compared to Guided by Voices' Robert Pollard, and with 18 releases in eight years on various labels, the association could stem from his productivity as much as from his sound. Though Environ Maiden, released in October 2007 on Rainbow Quartz, did much to heighten his profile in terms of consumer awareness, Wells continued to eschew the traditional approach of playing live to promote his catalog, instead choosing to hole up at home to make more albums.

GBV-esque but not quite? I debated linking the latest album, but it's pretty uninspired. So, here's a collection instead. Unfortunately, I can't find the complete Euridice Proudhon which, I'm told, is his best album.

The Capstan Shafts - Collection

Dean Wells writes all the songs, records on a 4-track and plays all the instruments. His asthetic is VERY GbV (short songs and Bob-like song titles) but that's where it ends cos ironically enough he's more like Tobin Sprout. Other influences include Jeff Mangum & Ray Davies. His melodies stick to you like glue which is why The Shafts are all I've listened to for 3 weeks now. He's released (if you can call it that) 7-8 EP's, 5-6 full lengths. This collection of 30 songs is culled from Euridice Proudhon, Her Versus the Sad Cold Eventually & The Sleeved and Grandaughters of the Blacklist.
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?fhtx1wmsxz2/
--
Ballboy - A Guide for the Daylight Hours

After the splendid, catchall release Club Anthems, and a round of Peel Sessions, Edinburgh's Ballboy has at last issued a real live album. A Guide for the Daylight Hours is more mopey cynicism and boppy, trippy indie pop from b-boy mastermind Gordon McIntyre and friends; its enjoyable trundle is powered by the familiar twee clatter (here defined best by Katie Griffiths' warm organ tones) and a bottomless pint glass of shallow jibes and self-hating/loving witticisms. "Where Do the Nights of Sleep Go to When They Do Not Come to Me" and "You Can't Spend Your Whole Life Hanging Around With Arseholes" (the titles alone speak volumes about McIntyre's muse) kick up a racket of rattling guitars, peppy drums, and Giffiths' fabulous organ; coupled with the glowering vocal delivery, it's a sound that suggests anything from the Wedding Present and the Housemartins to contemporaries like the Lucksmiths. Of course, McIntyre has no need for the latter fellows' niceness. While its melody has an almost romantic sway, "I Wonder If You're Drunk Enough to Sleep With Me Tonight" cuts to the pragmatic, and horny quick-romantic trappings are only usable as props when the lights come up and it's time to leave. "A fear of failure won't hold me back from hoping someday you'll kiss me like you mean it", he deadpans, before shortening the line to its final, commanding phrase as an added selfish zinger. Ditties like these are undoubtedly very easy for Ballboy, but their cynical humor just makes the palpable heartbreak of "I Lost You, but I Found Country Music" ("Everyday I miss you/And wonder and guess what you are listening to") even more affecting. While much of Daylight's enjoyment is derived from the lyrics and their delivery, there are also plenty of tingly rock moments. "Nobody Really Knows Anything" has an undeniably shambling groove, while "Something's Going to Happen Soon"'s explosive guitar chorus is built around the fabulous line "And the cellos kick in". (Also, for whatever reason - both Scottish? - it's just one of album's numerous moments that recall Simple Minds). A Guide for the Daylight Hours isn't genius, but its uncouth, cute-swallowing crassness is brilliant. [The LP's U.S. version includes two bonus tracks: "All the Records on the Radio Are Shite" and "A Man's a Man for a' That".
http://www.mediafire.com/?cbwjyjenji2
Ballboy - I Worked On The Ships (2008)

There must be something in the water in Scotland. Maybe it is the heritage of poets and heroes or the incredible panorama. Maybe it comes from centuries of having to defend your borders against invaders that makes you introspective and reflective. Whatever it is only a band from Scotland could produce this album, I Worked On The Ships, with any sense of genuine integrity. I had heard Aidan Moffat and Arab Strap, Malcolm Middleton and Mogwai before and I hung on every word. Ballboy do exactly that and from the moment I pressed play on this album I disappeared off into some deeply rewarding place in my mind that normally only exists at night.

I Worked on the Ships is a collection of songs that are akin to walking along a street peering down through dimly lit windows of basement flats, beyond the curtains and into other people’s lives. This is thought provoking poetry to music. It has a vivid film like quality of powerful imagery. Never depressing, it takes you on a journey beyond otherwise closed doors.  more...
http://www.mediafire.com/?cn2dii2anrr
A Weather - Cove

For those who wish Iron & Wine had never left the cozy confines of Sam Beam's bedroom, A Weather flaunt a similar brand of understated, pillow-soft indie folk. Vocals are whispered and acoustic guitars are strummed, conjuring up images of early mornings and rural landscapes without directly referencing either in the lyrics. But while Iron & Wine's earliest recordings relied on the simple combination of Beam's vocals and acoustic guitar, Cove is the work of five multi-instrumentalists, including a pair of guitarists and two able-voiced singers. The resulting sound is still quiet, but it's also lush, with songs like "Hanging Towers of Baltimore" wrapping the band's co-ed harmonies around puddles of guitar, keyboard swells, and light percussion. Aaron Gerber and Sarah Winchester are the obvious leaders here, and the boy-girl interplay of their voices helps illustrate the lovers' quarrels that give Cove most if its lyrical content. The effect is both somber and soothing, especially during the slow-motion jaunt of "Screw Up Your Courage," where jazz-influenced basslines underscore quietly biting lines like "You could bring me juice and saltines when I'm under the weather and over you." It's easy to gloss over such lyrics when the accompanying music is so calming, and Cove accordingly reveals itself in layers, waiting until the third or fourth listen to disclose all its parts. From the light use of slide guitar in "Oh My Stars" to the quiet chimes and violin in "Shirley Road Shirley," A Weather slyly demand attention, making Cove a much more ambitious album than its minimalist textures would have you believe.
http://www.mediafire.com/?nmzdwjmfdwk
« Last Edit: 23 May 2009, 13:10 by gospel »
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #1901 on: 23 May 2009, 12:33 »

Chisel- Set You Free

http://www.mediafire.com/?3nemrojm5unBack when I used to be a Ted Leo nut, this album was the absolute shit. Ted's guitar playing was on fire, the tunes were as delicious as they were varied (aside from the standard mod-punk fare there's also some neat acoustic guitar and keyboard numbers, as well as a few with horns), and there's seventeen fuckin' tracks here, so it's a good, long listen, just clocking in at four minutes short of an hour of amazing songs. Will fit in neatly as not just a prequel to, but perhaps a younger, punkier, more muscular take on those early TL/RX albums (basically everything up to Hearts of Oak).

This album fucking rules.

JacquesLeRock

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1902 on: 23 May 2009, 13:57 »

This is my first contribution, and it's a good one. 

The Protomen

This monster of a prog-rock album follows the back story of Capcom’s Megaman series and delivers its narrative in the most epic, dystopian way possible. Crafting a concept album around a video game may seem insane, but The Protomen have clearly produced one of the most electric and exciting albums of its kind in quite some time. The album immediately sets the stage for post-apocalyptic action, describing the dark Orwellian world ruled by Dr. Wiley and his army of evil robots and the sole inventor, Dr. Light, who secretly creates mankind’s only salvation. The story is surprisingly easy to follow across these jams, drawing on themes of vengeance and duty, capturing the throes of a science fiction battle quite beautifully.

The music itself is consistently interesting, with plenty of electronic effects, slamming piano keys and stunning vocal performances (my friend mistook the lead singer for Matthew Good as he passed by). The Protomen take several pages from prog-rock and glam-rock theatrics, with shades of Rush, Queen and perhaps The Mars Volta thrown in for good measure. Everything from the guitar solos to the urgency of its lyrics make this album an incredibly fun and satisfying listen. The Protomen take their source material quite seriously, with an explosive performance that focuses on the thematics of the game, rather than camp factor or straight parody.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?hjz2zq2mwdt
Enjoy!

Weepie McGee

• Not quite a lurker
  • orale, zombers!
« Reply #1903 on: 23 May 2009, 15:55 »

I haven't posted anything since those Peter Broderick albums...but my special ladyfriend and I have been reclusive homebodies, staying in and drinking and watching HBO on dvd.  Which reminded me how incredible the CARNIVALE soundtrack is.  Thus, I give it to you here...

Jeff Beal - Carnivale OST

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?sharekey=32897d504622e35e00d27174b47c66577cafc13757b95389b8eada0a1ae8665a
Simultaneously calming and unsettling, eerie and beautiful, the soundtrack to this series is amazing.  It captures the feeling of the show, set in 1930's Dustbowl America, also incorporating world music elements.  Whether you've seen the show or not, check this out.

i will kick your fucking ass, you rancid sack of pig shit

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1904 on: 23 May 2009, 16:45 »

First of all, I want to share with you a cool math-rocky band called Netherfriends. I saw them in concert a while ago playing with Pattern Is Movement and Maps & Atlases. I'm awful at describing music but if you enjoy math-rock or just music then you should download them because they are pretty great.

Netherfriends - Home Is Where My House Is
 [img width= height= alt=Netherfriends - Home Is Where My House Is]http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s1515098.jpg[/img]
http://www.mediafire.com/?2lngqoq2lzt
Second, and the reason I'm posting here and for which I am very excited, I'd like to share with you an EP by my very talented friend Gus. Gus worked for many months to record the entire album himself--he plays every instrument himself as well as the vocals and all the recording effects. It's a really great album and I ask that everyone please download it because it's a unique and completely kickass experience. The only issue is that the intro did not upload well and was cut off thirty seconds in, but the rest of the songs are intact. Enjoy!

Augustine Esterhammer-Fic - Nostromo EP
http://www.mediafire.com/?qtxntoj2z41
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

iliveinsalemor

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1905 on: 23 May 2009, 22:25 »

whats up with

Phideaux Xavier

???

anybody got any of his shiz??? its so hard to find anywhere.

Random1

• Not quite a lurker
  • Have you seen my pet eagle?
« Reply #1906 on: 23 May 2009, 23:45 »

whats up with

Phideaux Xavier

???

THIS, is what happens when people forget to post the rules on a new page  :|

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1907 on: 24 May 2009, 00:04 »

Googling it worked

Phideaux Xavier -Doomsday Afternoon
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7YRZ4F3L
« Last Edit: 24 May 2009, 00:19 by Zombiedude »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you
« Reply #1908 on: 24 May 2009, 00:14 »

The Protomen are awesome. Kinda like if Mars Volta didn't get all self indulgent after Deloused and played way too much Nintendo.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

ADRIAN WOODHOUSE

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1909 on: 24 May 2009, 03:34 »

LES TRUCS
electro-nintendo-circus-(punk?)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ma4me33wm5t
a girl. a boy. a lot of keyboards and beats. crewshouts. this sounds like the pink elephants from disneys dumbo manifested and formed a hedonistic electronintendo(punk) band.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #1910 on: 24 May 2009, 08:16 »

The Capstan Shafts
The Capstan Shafts is the guise prolific songwriter Dean Wells has been recording under since 1999. Hailing from Lyndonville, VT, Wells has most often been compared to Guided by Voices' Robert Pollard, and with 18 releases in eight years on various labels, the association could stem from his productivity as much as from his sound. Though Environ Maiden, released in October 2007 on Rainbow Quartz, did much to heighten his profile in terms of consumer awareness, Wells continued to eschew the traditional approach of playing live to promote his catalog, instead choosing to hole up at home to make more albums.

I feel compelled to download this.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #1911 on: 24 May 2009, 09:53 »

I've never heard anything in my life that's really more "down my alley" than this. Picture some really good garage-rock with a slight psychedelic twist, and you get..

King Khan & The Shrines - What Is?!
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?3fk1smdzy1x

Shane, these guys are so much fun live! If you get the chance, go see them. You also have to do the twist when they play for at least one song. This is my personal rule, but it's a fun one.
I like the way you work it.

Orcusmars

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1912 on: 24 May 2009, 11:56 »

whats up with

Phideaux Xavier

???

here

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Phideaux+Xavier+blogspot

let me google that for you.
There is a simple dirt path
beyond the lilacs and the roses
where earthen velvet slides a lover's arm
between the red and purple bedsheets

-"Path"

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #1913 on: 24 May 2009, 12:53 »

Shiz.

Orcusmars

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1914 on: 24 May 2009, 16:20 »

where earthen velvet slides a lover's arm
between the red and purple bedsheets

-"Path"

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1915 on: 25 May 2009, 07:52 »

I've never heard anything in my life that's really more "down my alley" than this. Picture some really good garage-rock with a slight psychedelic twist, and you get..

King Khan & The Shrines - What Is?!
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?3fk1smdzy1x

Shane, these guys are so much fun live! If you get the chance, go see them. You also have to do the twist when they play for at least one song. This is my personal rule, but it's a fun one.

They were in Boston a few weeks ago.  :-(
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1916 on: 26 May 2009, 08:49 »

First post here, so please inform me when I'm doing it wrong

Worrytrain-Fog dance, my moth kingdom

Joshua Neil Geissler aka Worrytrain within some parts of his album fourth “fog dance, my moth kingdom” has offered the most gripping, the most moving examples of modern composition ever since, well almost since Godspeed you black emperor’s first album – and that not only of the lyrical alikeness of the canadian collective’s name and the title of this album. Or when was the last time I re-listened to my albums of Ennio Morricone. Wow, Morricone, that is a big word to say for any modern compositor, but it is true, for instance within the two conflicting sound colours of doom-impending percussions and romantic string arrangements of “Soviet passage” there is the same oppositional structure of melodic elements that the grand master from Italy liked to use, e.g. in his soundtrack to 1900 or even the spaghetti westerns.

Musically he works with traditional instruments, such as cello, piano and percussions, and mixes them with electro-acoustic sounds. More important than that are the dynamics he manages to reap from slow and deep noise-interludes in connection and in opposition with the wonderful, almost romantic melodies he provides at other places in time, which make his step towards scoring movies,  mostly independent movies, just a consequential choice. He shows to be able to perform in various classical forms, such as the concerto or the nocturne, but also finds his way through noisy drones and more experimental forms with ease. The dynamics are excellent, if sometimes – as mentioned - also a little disturbing, but Geissler takes you on a very interesting ride, sometimes relaxing and sometimes exhausting, but an overall fine experience.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?zmxym2eglnn

epoch

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1917 on: 26 May 2009, 10:28 »

i have more chiptune!

new RANDOM!

Random- A Happy Ending After All
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?jjrtn03yzzh
Twilight Electric- Rawk Hard
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?1nmmozmllym
Nullsleep- Hello World
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?yoo1g21muyz

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1918 on: 26 May 2009, 10:41 »

13ghosts-The stangest coloured light

The Strangest Colored Lights was recorded and mixed between summer 2006 and spring 2007 in Otterworks Studio in Birmingham, which was designed and built by 13ghosts for 13ghosts.  Andrew Vernon records the sounds and Brad Armstrong mixes, with participation from the entire group.  Vernon and Armstrong have been doing it this way since they started the studio with a 4 track cassette machine and a shotgun mic in the early nineties.  The Strangest Colored Lights was mastered by Doug Van Sloun at Studio B, LTD in Omaha, NE.  Van Sloun was a perfect fit for 13ghosts; his aesthetic is about purity and unobtrusiveness.  Van Sloun’s mastering credits include Bright Eyes, Cursive, and Magnolia Electric Co.

The Strangest Colored Lights represents the first time since 2002 that 13ghosts’ recordings have involved a full and consistent line-up of musicians; the same five guys arranged and performed the material on every song, with the exception of the horn section in Riverside (Chad Fisher and Chip Crotts) and a female vocal passage in Photographs (Amber Quick).  Like Cicada, this album spans a large and diverse cross-section of genres (electronica, grand Pink-Floydesque passages, country-sludge, psychedelic, spaghetti-western, hard- edged pop and dark acoustic), and like Cicada it is long and sprawling, clocking in at just over 55 minutes. The differences between Cicada and The Strangest Colored Lights lie in the band’s focus, their relentless attention to detail (though fans of 13ghosts’ lo-fi production aesthetic will not be disappointed; it was, after all, recorded in a basement), and a newfound harmony between Russell’s and Armstrong’s sometime disparate songwriting styles.  With this new record, 13ghosts has finally united their many voices under one soaring and cinematic vision.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?zztjomimwvd

« Last Edit: 26 May 2009, 10:43 by kwintpod »

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1919 on: 26 May 2009, 11:13 »

raccoo-oo-oon-The cave of spirits forever

Raccoo-oo-oon blend wooded spiritual progressions with guitar experimentation, sometimes reminiscent of Animal Collective or Acid Mothers Temple. Often psychedelic, it also feels like something scraped up along the American landscapes on a recreational drug-use category of drugged-out roadtrip. The songs lurk strangely in post-Godspeed You! Black Emperor territory with simple guitar lines being built upon with varying degrees of epicness and strangeness as well as tribal throw-back sing-songing. This recording was originally pressed as a CDR in early 2005, now repressed here on a regular CD. I'm anxious to hear the newer offerings by this group of cave spirits. They are on their way to possibilities

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?jozynjjmrmx
Can also upload their s/t and black branches if people are interested

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #1920 on: 26 May 2009, 12:27 »

Netherfriends - Home Is Where My House Is

Hey this is a great band indeed (I will maybe message you cuz I set up a show for them in DeKalb tonight and maybe you would be interested in going... I assume all this because I remember that bill and am pretty sure it was in chicago, a mere hour from DeKalb).

People should probably check that band out, however I'm not really sure if math-rock is a good descriptor, but maybe their new stuff is mathy?  I guess I haven't kept up with them that tightly.

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1921 on: 26 May 2009, 13:15 »

TwinSisterMoon-The Hollow Mountain

Detouring Natural Snow Building’s blues drone into mournful, emotionally collapsed folk, sound sculpter Mehdi Ameziane parlays a fragile hand with back-from-the-dead determination on both of these releases. Joined in places by Solange Gularte, also of Natural Snow Buildings, on cello and flute, keep things light and almost martial in spaces like “Bride of the Spirits” (appearing on both of these releases) and the celestial expanse of “Maps of Dreams.” This is mystical music, flowering and sublime on the 7”, but several shades darker throughout most of the full-length. Chilling, and only a tiny bit overdone; the abilities at hand here outweigh a couple of maudlin missteps. C93, Ennio Morricone, the sound of teenage seafoam ghosts come back from the dead to tell you the horror of the other side. You get it. Whoops, no you don’t: 7” was pressed in a numbered run of 300 in a 24-page, full-color booklet on a color of vinyl that adequately captures the music within; the LP is in a micropressing of 105, in a beautifully silkscreened chipboard jacket and an eight-page oversize booklet. A bounty of music and art, the kind of thing Pocahaunted or CocoRosie should be able to make, but can’t.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?gitm2ijiond

gospel

• the word
« Reply #1922 on: 26 May 2009, 16:07 »

Ah, brings me back to high school. More of the same, but that's not really a bad thing. I'll admit, I was really wary about using material from a (presumed) dead bandmate, but it worked out. I think they paid good homage.

Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers

Richey James Edwards disappeared in February 1995, just months after the release of the Manic Street Preachers' lacerating third album, The Holy Bible. He was officially presumed dead in November 2008 and just months later the Manics released Journal for Plague Lovers, an album that's an explicit sequel to The Holy Bible right down to its Jenny Saville cover art. The Manics pay tribute to their lost comrade by setting his last writings to music, getting Steve Albini — beloved by Richey for his production on Nirvana's In Utero, a clear antecedent and close relation to The Holy Bible — to produce a record unlike any they've made since his vanishing. Tripping on barbed-wire guitars and twitchy as a raw nerve even when it's draped in strings, Journal for Plague Lovers consciously harks back to the emotional bloodletting of Bible, only this manages to skirt the darkest corners of the soul, never quite feeling as desperately hopeless or unsettling as that bleakest of albums. Curiously, there's a feeling of comfort, even relief, to Journal for Plague Lovers, a palpable sense that the bandmembers are grateful to be confronting Richey's ghost head-on. Of course, the Manics never ignored Edwards, but he was notable as an absence — not presence — in their music: when he left, they chose to leave behind their arty punk for dignified arena rock. Here, they ditch that inflated sound — although, truth be told, they were making inroads in this direction on 2007's Send Away the Tigers — for tight, clanking, cantankerous guitars, so they're not only singing Edwards' words but playing his music, bringing him back into the band in a way that makes them full. Now that they've completed the songs he left behind, it's not that the Manics can finally put Richey to rest now, but rather that they've found peace, that they're finally ready to acknowledge and embrace the blackest portion of their past, and that the grieving has finally stopped and they're moving forward. Indeed, Journal for Plague Lovers winds up being The Holy Bible in reverse: every moment of despair is a reason to keep on living instead of an excuse to pack it all in.
http://www.mediafire.com/?fqyyltb2ywg
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1923 on: 26 May 2009, 19:38 »

Hey Rosetta!, Oren Lavie, and 13Ghosts are all superb. Danke muchly.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Tehz

• and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #1924 on: 26 May 2009, 19:46 »

"Here, It Never Snowed. Afterwards It Did."

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?nddyjomcwwh

ATTN everyone: Download this NOW; this is seriously one of the most solid pieces of music I've heard in a long while.

iamiam

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1925 on: 26 May 2009, 20:27 »

hxxp://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?omrznuzydth
from last.fm:

"Oh No! Oh My! is a four-piece indie rock band from Austin, Texas. Their music is rooted in an intricate melodic style reminiscent of The Magnetic Fields and Belle and Sebastian, fused with quirky lyrics and augmented by a diverse range of instruments."

this is just really sweet indie pop, and i think it's perfect happy summer listening (particularly 'walk in the park' and 'i have no sister').
Quote from: meebo
[11:09] Darryl: MaiAda: the Beat Happening of the QC boards
[11:10] Darryl: so subtly subversive that not everybody can even tell
[11:10] Darryl: punk as fuck
[11:10] Darryl: ponies and rainbows

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1926 on: 26 May 2009, 22:39 »

^ --- is lovely.

Also, for those of you who care about this sort of thing, Pfork just scored Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix an 8.5.

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you
« Reply #1927 on: 26 May 2009, 23:06 »

NEW MODEST MOUSE

Surprisingly rockin.

Johnny Marr.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?ejyzzzmlxwy
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1928 on: 27 May 2009, 02:42 »

Snowglobe-oxytocin

Quote from: Pitchfork
Snowglobe was at one point a normal, cohesive rock band. But it seems that on Oxytocin, the band's third album, it's become more of a collective helmed by Brad Postlethwaite-- there's a message in the artwork claiming that this is the first in a series on "solo-directed projects by the members of Snowglobe." The sound is still huge, layered like a Bryce Canyon cliff face. It's the kind of music that strokes the nerve that makes critics and P.R. people compare anything with a musical saw to Neutral Milk Hotel, and the comparison holds to a point. The instruments are densely piled on-- and yes, there is a saw-- but Postlethwaite's songwriting aims for something less impressionistic. There's more of a sense of communal music-making, rather than a feeling of being trapped in someone's free-associating head.

Big vocal harmonies figure prominently across the album, and I mean big. Postlethwaite and a couple of backup singers layer their voices into freakily homogenous choirs. It plays well into the overall aesthetic, and the melody is never lost in the complex arrangements and exceedingly dry production. The best vocal arrangement comes on "December Ghost", a pensive song built on a series of patterns that jump from one instrument to another, beginning on acoustic guitar and ending on the violin. The harmonies waft in and out, and at times the backing voices separate from one another to sing brief melodic phrases.

"At Times a Nightmare" is a slow, country-inflected song that suddenly lurches skyward after three minutes into a second movement-- it's far too substantial to think of as a coda-- and after the vocal portion there's a minute of flat-out wailing on analog synthesizers. It's the most cathartic song on an otherwise even-keeled album, and the lyric "Never wanted this to end/ Sunday morning it was back to the mourning/ It was back into the pain again" is among Postlethwaite's best.
Little instrumental interludes are sprinkled across the album, and rather surprisingly, they offer some of the most appealing moments. "Intro to Dry", um, introduces "Dry" with a bit of broken-backed trumpet, "Cellos" is a dramatic, charging instrumental that builds from a quiet cello ostinato to a roaring pile of instrumentals and then breaks back down to just a bass line in less than two minutes, and "Piano" is a brief stab of melancholy before the floating "Caroline", which is like the Radar Brothers with less stationary inertia.

Oxytocin is full of little surprises and details that reward repeat listens, but very few of the decorations seem merely tacked on. As full as it is, there are certain moments on the album where it oddly lacks atmosphere, perhaps a side effect of the saturated production. That's a small complaint, though, and Oxytocin is a resounding success that makes me wonder what else is on tap in this solo-directed Snowglobe series.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?klunm4gwnym

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1929 on: 27 May 2009, 05:04 »

King Geedorah

Quote from: Pitchfork

The King Geedorah project, unlike Doom's recent outing as Viktor Vaughn, finds MF almost exclusively behind the boards, comfortable with rocking the SP1200 and letting others turn out the mic. Only two tracks feature Doom rhyming, but at least one of them is an album highlight: Along with Mr. Fantastik's GZA-by-way-of Humpty Hump delivery and a sleazy, greasy blues guitar, Doom pushes "Anti-Matter" straight to the top of the heap. Even without Doom's verbal skills, the roster here lives up to Metal Fingers standards, with nary a wack emcee in sight (compare that to a record like Peanut Butter Wolf's My Vinyl Weighs a Ton, which featured a few lightweights in the pack). Kurious (billed here as Biolante) sets the bar high on "Fastlane" with an unflappable and confident delivery that fits in amazingly well with the squealing guitar riff that forms the track's hook. In a rare moment of introspection, Hassan Chop does some ruminating on past mistakes and lost friends in "I Wonder", and it's to his credit that the song is affecting without tripping headlong into melodramatic cliché.Take Me to Your Leader will excite you in a way most hip-hop projects just aren't able: It's not straining for credibility nor putting effort into being revelatory; it just is. Everyone involved got their kicks making this record, and the enthusiasm drips off the jewel case. Like Bobbitto Garcia says: "Create and share with the world." In the album's press release over at Big Dada, MF says: "You should listen to the album for what it is and not expect it to be like the average 'rap' stuff you're probably used to... a blend of ill lyrics and instrumentals. To me, it's way iller than any of the wack shit out now." And not like you'd expect a chef to say his dishes taste like shit, but this time the horse's mouth speaks the absolute truth.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?12yihozyh5i

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1930 on: 27 May 2009, 07:37 »

Chocolate usa-All jets are gonna fall today

Quote from: Allmusic
All Jets Are Gonna Fall Today introduces Chocolate U.S.A. as an eclectic, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink power-pop ensemble with a strong pan-ethnic aesthetic. Singer Julian Koster's song-stories recall the work of Jonathan Richman, while the prominence of Liza Wakeman's violin in the mix can't help but bring to mind Camper Van Beethoven.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?n5wokytwnzz

MennoniteDan

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1931 on: 27 May 2009, 08:00 »

First of, potentially, many....

Herbie Hancock - Fat Albert Rotunda

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?hni2gmd2xym

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?mftybszjt92

Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?nmjnoggnzna

JayJayD

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1932 on: 27 May 2009, 11:54 »

Here's the essential first Tuxedomoon album Half-Mute. Unfortunately I don't have a cover for it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?xl5qmnzmnmm

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1933 on: 27 May 2009, 12:00 »

Bam

Already Imageshack'd it for you too

Edit: Terrible Pagebreak is terrible
« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 18:29 by Zombiedude »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

barista.babe

• Emoticontraindication
  • Patron Saint of Vaginal Itch
    • not that hard to follow me.
« Reply #1934 on: 27 May 2009, 15:24 »

Rules:

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to mediaf!re.com, in multiple parts if the album is over 100mbs. The reason for this is that we know mediaf!re is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums. This includes requests for re-uploads; if you miss it, try looking for it somewhere else.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page.
The Internet got me pregnant.

Random1

• Not quite a lurker
  • Have you seen my pet eagle?
« Reply #1935 on: 27 May 2009, 15:52 »

That modest mouse seems to have been removed already.

bitchin kickflip

« Reply #1936 on: 27 May 2009, 17:40 »

ahoy hoy, longtime lurker turned poster.

Kenneth Higney- Attic Demonstrations
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?z5zr05ygykm

Kenneth Higney was a truckdriver who wanted to be a pop star. He played all of the instruments himself and it is far from pop music. At times it is evocative of Beefheart-ian weirdness, all accidental as Higney was playing music he believed to be catchy and melodic. He released a small run of records to find himself a band and faded into obscurity.

Elizabeth Cotten - Freight Train and Other Folk Songs
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?i2jz4nmyuol

Elizabeth Cotten was Pete Seegers children's nanny, she learned to play a unique blend of bluegrass/folk/ragtime while strumming the guitar left handed so the strings were backwards. She learned all of her songs growing up, and didn't play guitar for years until she played one of Pete's guitars and he was blown away. He recorded all of her material and managed her from that point on (she was already well into her 80's). Her voice is beautiful and playful.

Yumi Arai - Hiko Ki Gumo
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?t2im01todxk
This is 70's japanese pop, my friend Taichi returned from Japan with it and I ripped the vinyl.

enjoy

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #1937 on: 27 May 2009, 17:49 »

ahoy hoy, longtime lurker turned poster.

Kenneth Higney- Attic Demonstrations

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?z5zr05ygykm
Kenneth Higney was a truckdriver who wanted to be a pop star. He played all of the instruments himself and it is far from pop music. At times it is evocative of Beefheart-ian weirdness, all accidental as Higney was playing music he believed to be catchy and melodic. He released a small run of records to find himself a band and faded into obscurity.

Elizabeth Cotten - Freight Train and Other North Carolina Folk Songs And Tunes
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?i2jz4nmyuol
Elizabeth Cotten was Pete Seegers children's nanny, she learned to play a unique blend of bluegrass/folk/ragtime while strumming the guitar left handed so the strings were backwards. She learned all of her songs growing up, and didn't play guitar for years until she played one of Pete's guitars and he was blown away. He recorded all of her material and managed her from that point on (she was already well into her 80's). Her voice is beautiful and playful.

Yumi Arai - Hiko Ki Gumo
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?t2im01todxkThis is 70's japanese pop, my friend Taichi returned from Japan with it and I ripped the vinyl.

Enjoy

bitchin kickflip

« Reply #1938 on: 27 May 2009, 18:01 »

thanks I am terrible at html but thought I should share some stuff. I wrote the descriptions too.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #1939 on: 27 May 2009, 18:14 »

It's alright, just try to follow the guidelines. They generally make it easier on everyone, yourself included.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #1940 on: 27 May 2009, 18:23 »

NEW MODEST MOUSE

Surprisingly rockin.

Johnny Marr.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?ejyzzzmlxwy

MF tells me this has been removed already.  This makes me very sad.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

nickeemo

• Not quite a lurker
  • The chastity and clarice to my franchise
« Reply #1941 on: 27 May 2009, 21:39 »

Any possible way we can remedy this heartbreaking situation?
60% of the time it works every time.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1942 on: 27 May 2009, 23:11 »

Owl City - Maybe I'm Dreaming (2008)

Owl City is soaring through the clouds, bouncing pleasantly along without a care in the world. It's indietronic pop carried on the arms of a dove into the most gorgeous sunset. If you loved Faded Paper Figures and their Postal Service-esque mix of enchanting vocal harmonies, digitized twinkles, and house beats, there's a very good chance you'll fall in love with Owl City as well. Ironically enough, this is perfect summer sun naptime music - ironic because it's all recorded and composed in a basement in Minnesota.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ntwd2yd3d1j

bbq

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #1943 on: 28 May 2009, 01:37 »

Thankyou whoever uploaded the album 'Oxytocin' by Snowglobe, I loved it, especially the song 'Happy'.  :-D

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #1944 on: 28 May 2009, 05:18 »

This is awesome. Thank you.

The Real Tuesday Weld - The London Book Of The Dead

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?mni0iwmtmqn
Quote from: last.fm
The Real Tuesday Weld is a British band from London, fronted by lead singer and founder Stephen Coates. They are known for producing jazzy cabaret-style music with subtle electronica influences, a style dubbed “antique beat” by Coates.

The band is named after American film actress Tuesday Weld. Coates once had a dream involving Weld and 30s vocalist Al Bowlly. Coates and others often cite the dream as inspiration for the band and its particular style.

Quote from: a random review
iTunes claim that The Real Tuesday Weld is unclassifiable. Certainly the mix of 1920s style vintage sound with trip hop rhythms and cinematic strings isn't what most people are used to hearing. The closest touchstone for me is '90s one-hit wonder Lucas with the Lid Off. It's refreshing to hear a band that draws on influences from earlier than the '60s or '70s for a sound that's totally unique today.

pitchfork review

The Builders And The Butchers - self-titled

http://www.mediafire.com/?lyjzmzyyjwz
Couldn't find a decent review for this but fans of the Decemberists' folksier bits should love it.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2009, 06:05 by amok »

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1945 on: 28 May 2009, 07:33 »

Thankyou whoever uploaded the album 'Oxytocin' by Snowglobe, I loved it, especially the song 'Happy'.  :-D

This is awesome. Thank you.

Glad people like it!

Kiss Kiss-Reality Vs the optimist

Quote from: absolutepunk
SDFJSDFHSLDF!!!! Sorry, I had to type something that had as much furious energy as this album does. Kiss Kiss is a part of what I like to call the Eyeball revival, in other words, one of 'those" bands that is going to bring the label to the top. 2007 is definitely the year for the label, because unlike in 1999 and 2002, the label is bigger and are less likely to lose their talent to major label and preying indie labels. Kiss Kiss is an indie/experimental band out of Milton, New York. They are unique in the fact that they have a electric violin player, and a live show thats second to few. Their debut full length, Reality Vs. The Optimist was released early this year, and was overlooked by too many. The truth is, this album should be a release people remember this year, and for years to come. Why? I'll explain.

What I like about this record is how it progresses. It starts off real slow, most likely to lure you in, and then once it has you in its clutches, it goes ahead and tears you apart. These slow tracks, are "Janet" and "Iris And Eye", the first two tracks on this adventure. In the beginning, there is nothing, just some quiet screechings and piano that eventually starts and picks up a little bit, the quiet voice of the talented Joshua Benash is what made me a believer. "Iris And Eye" could be the theme song for a deranged serial killer, and that's where you really start to feel the energy of this band, taking influence from bands like Cursive. The band doesn't start using the violin as a lead instrument until "Sixth Sense", but really doesn't show how deranged everything can sound until "Machines", which adds a cello, trumpet, trombone, and tuba player. "Satellite" brightens up the music, but it doesn't take long for them to turn crazy with lyrics like "Please, Oh Let Me Grab Hold Of My Mind/ The Images Prove Non Linear Time/ One Moment I'm Me/ The Next I Am Miss Audrey Wyde / Please Let Me Go / Please Let Me Deny".

Probably the most unsound track on the whole record is "Dress Up" that even brings in a guest to play the chainsaw (as it says in the notes of the cd). "My mother says you were / a body in the rain / a rotting corpse found in the gallows / I want to take you home / I want to play dress up / I want to show you Off!/ Oh! Oh!". The first thing that came to my mind when I heard "The Cats In The House" is the movie Hocus Pocus, it's just so classic sounding, and Benash goes from light singing to absolute screaming. "Stay The Day", the final track, slows things down once again, but it's a different mood than the beginning, it's almost like an aftermath song. Something you'd hear in the background of a movie when someone dies or some huge disaster is taking place (Titanic?). All in all, Reality Vs. The Optimist is probably the most versatile and rabid cd you will hear all year. It tells a story that sounds like it could be composed by Dr. Frankenstein himself. What ever angle you take this record from, it'll catch you off guard. It will end up being something you weren't expecting, and not in a bad way. What they do, they do well, they play well, the write well, they sing and shout well. Kiss Kiss (hopefully) will be one of "those" bands that brings the label to the top, and this is only the beginning.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?mmmtmmntjol

gospel

• the word
« Reply #1946 on: 28 May 2009, 16:17 »

That Kiss Kiss album interesting, to say the least. Been awhile since I've heard that kind of erratic sound (or an electric violin).

Israeli, world metal.
Orphaned Land - Mabool

Back from an extended, eight-year hiatus many thought would never come to an end, Israel's Orphaned Land finally completed their third album, the extensively titled Mabool (The Story of the Three Sons of Seven), for new label Century Media in 2004. Thankfully, the album's impressive -- at times unprecedented -- achievements in expanding the boundaries of heavy metal go to great lengths in justifying such a long wait. Indeed, with their ambitious, at times even improbable, efforts to incorporate native Middle Eastern musical styles into the heavy metal template, Orphaned Land stake a claim in the largely unrecognized "World Metal" sub-genre, also encompassing the percussion-infused efforts of Brazilians Sepultura, the folk-dependent death metal of Finland's Amorphis, and, hitting closest to home, the "Mesopotamian Metal" of countrymen Melechesh. And yet, Mabool is arguably more diverse and experimental than many of the above artists' wildest efforts -- SO eclectic, in fact, that some might argue it barely qualifies as heavy metal anymore! A concept album, no less, Mabool takes a swing at setting the Noah's Ark biblical myth to music (Mabool = "the flood," get it?), and the stage is set by the opening tandem of "Birth of the Three" and "Ocean Land," which marry beguiling Arabic melodic nuances to crushing death metal riffs, drums, and cookie-monster growls. Very interesting, to be sure, but it's on "The Kiss of Babylon" where things really start getting freaky, thanks to increasing use of exotic sonic elements, ethnic instrumentation, the introduction of "clean" singing, and an eventual descent into two minutes of acoustic guitars and solo female vocals in Hebrew on the prayer-like "A'salk." From here on out, dynamic examples of truly progressive metal such as "Halo Dies," the title track, the epic "The Storm Still Rages Inside," and the absolutely awe-inspiring "Norra el Norra," continue to rub shoulders with far gentler and relaxing material like "Building the Ark," the soothingly ambient "The Calm Before the Flood," and the evocatively sweet closing theme, "Rainbow." Of course, to some listeners, all of this variety might seem more fit for belly-dancing than head-banging; which brings us back to the only major caveat of Orphaned Land's brave experimentation: does Mabool traverse so vast a range of styles that less sophisticated heavy metal fans are doomed to get lost in the sand dunes? In a first instance, the answer is probably yes, but with repeat performances, any confusion duly gives way to astonishment and revelation, marking Mabool for possible inclusion in the pantheon of albums representing the aforementioned "World Metal" category. [As an added bonus, Mabool also featured a bonus CD containing live acoustic renditions of Orphaned Land songs, both old and new.]
http://www.mediafire.com/?w31yz2c4rzi

-Abraham Lincoln

Orcusmars

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1947 on: 28 May 2009, 19:22 »

Kiss Kiss-Reality Vs the optimist
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?mmmtmmntjol

owns owns owns owns owns
(owns owns owns owns owns)