THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 10:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 81   Go Down

Author Topic: The M/F Thread 2009: The Quickening  (Read 740329 times)

scarred

• Older than Moses
The M/F Thread 2009: The Quickening
« Reply #3850 on: 03 Dec 2009, 23:20 »

It's alternately house-y, dubstep-y, and Fuck Buttons-y. (Fuck Buttons do a remix, y'see.)
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3851 on: 03 Dec 2009, 23:44 »

What's that Fever Ray - Remixed thing like?
Quote from: Resident Advisor
The latest single from Sweden's Fever Ray comes loaded with a heap of remixes by names needing no introduction here: Troxler, Dettmann and Martyn among them. Karin Anderssen's compositions, less clubby than her work in The Knife but more melodically developed, would seem ready made for reworks, full of spare, moody electronics and tantalizing texture. Oh, and that voice, that instantly recognizable voice, serpentine, witchlike, giving a spooky edge even to lyrics as innocuous as "I have a friend I've known since I was seven...we used to talk on the phone…we talk about love, about dishwasher tablets."

The more distinctive versions here make their mark by foregrounding the gap between Anderssen's original vocal and their own newly-added material. Martyn's dubstep jam is a prime example: The vocal doesn't precisely fit, meaning you can tell right away that it's a remix, but the disjunction between voice and beats actually gives the track a bit more of an edge, in comparison to, say, Nic Chacona's take, which is straightforward dreamy-housey dance floor glitz. CSS also attempts to re-fit the entire tune, transforming it into some slow-mo cosmic funk that finds its groove once the 808 claps get flurrying, while Troxler also goes for the same glitzy minimal house as Chacona but pushes the vocal into a weirdly disorienting, arrhythmic space atop the beat.

Mr. Dettmann's on board for two takes here, ostensibly so he could have enough room to accommodate his varied interests. One is a speechless, driving minimal techno banger, and the other, called "Voice In My Head mix," is up there with Karin's own work in terms of inspired weirdness, taking nothing other than a heavily filtered vocal loop—wispy and ghostlike—and threading it across a bare and warbly beat. It pushes the envelope in its own way, as do Crookers, whose skittery, hyperactive electro workout takes flight once it sheds a series of repetitive vocal loops. (It subsequently lifts off into several minutes of what sounds like a rotary phone dogfighting a demonic air horn.) Ultimately, these two versions are the EP's standout WTF? moments, reflecting Fever Ray's own taste for novel, unpredictable productions.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #3852 on: 03 Dec 2009, 23:45 »

Audie Darling - Full Of Ghosts

MySpace
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/?otzzmzyqijd
Quote from: thisheartwillburnrightout
So what is Audie’s niche in this music world? Well, a voice that is as articulate and emotive as any signed artist I’m aware of. Strong roots music that will definitely find it’s place in alt country circles. An amazing slew of production and musicianship should allow this album to be critically acclaimed and while we aren’t necessarily hearing an ambitious attempt to redefine the genre, it’s clear that Audie deserves some recognition at the table.

When the title track, “Full of Ghosts”, completed the stream I was left wondering how certain people go so long without being heard. My hope is that our listening pathology will change soon and artists like this will have the chance to really give something to consumers. Something with integrity, musicianship and a strong reminder of where we all came from. Home.

Charlotte Gainsbourg with Beck – IRM

MySpace
http://www.mediafire.com/?y4dyziht3yz
Scheduled for release January 26, IRM is, says Gainsbourg, the result of trying “very different things.” The songs, she adds, “are all in different styles but one proper album.” Following the release of the monotone, electronica/industrial workout of the title track last month, Gainsbourg and Beck join voices for new single “Heaven Can Wait”, a slithering, piano-punctuated ditty that comes alive in a completely surreal video (watch it after the jump).

Pascal Babare – Thunderclap Spring

MySpace
http://www.mediafire.com/?qm5ryzzinyy
Quote from: hangout.altsounds
Pascal Babare was born in southern Australia, the son of a choral singer and a composer. His mother can only hear in one ear and sings like an angel; his father was the first ex-gangster to join the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.

Raised in and out of ashrams on a diet of Pet Sounds and droning chant, Pascal cared for his first mentor, a camel named Jinglebaba, while listening to 2-Pac and devising uniquely horrific ways to kill insects. Wondering what it all meant, he wrote to Brian Wilson, who wrote back, telling him to focus on the heart’s vibrations. He keeps the letter close to this day.

A drummer in his pre-teens, Pascal picked up other instruments as his school days dwindled, first with others and then alone. So the banging was expanded with guitars, harmoniums, birds and thighs, all finding form in sublime chunks of warm, rickety pop. By nineteen, he had written and put to tape Thunderclap Spring, his first elpee.

Self-recorded, in thick-carpeted suburbia, in thin-walled Japan, in fog-blanked London, on street corners and during carnivals, Thunderclap Spring is possessed of a a lightness and a song writing genius that belies its creator’s years. Through naïve morning ragas, ecstatic shouts and evening croons, slide guitars ride percussion slaps, loops and yelps, coming together in hooks and curves that leap and turn with words of wonder, Vikings and quiet discovery.

Thunderclap Spring is a work of intricate, wide-eyed joy, a record of sun, rain, light and shadows.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3853 on: 04 Dec 2009, 02:02 »

Balmorhea-Balmorhea(2007)

Great ambient. Piano and acoustic based
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?z0mvwdkwmfeGodspeed You!Black Emperor-Tiny Silver Hammers(2004)

Live recordings of motherfucker=redeemer part one and two of Yangui U.X.O.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?jmiwhmhiwmjGeirr Tveitt-Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 5(2001)

Tveitt is a Norwegian composer who lived from 1908-1981, this work is performed by Håvard Gimse on piano and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra
http://www.mediafire.com/?m34bmz5mael
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2009, 13:44 by kwintpod »

dignan

• Not quite a lurker
  • What's in the bag?
« Reply #3854 on: 04 Dec 2009, 07:53 »

Leaves - The Angela Test (2005, V2 mp3 files with artwork)

My submission for "The Greatest Band You've Never Heard" honors.

Icelandic shoegaze, but with none of the "English-as-a-second-language" vibe that has made other Icy acts famous. Atmospheric, wistful, longing, lonely songs (though not bleak), with the most guitar layers you can have on an album and still legally call it "mellow." Take some Animals-era Pink Floyd, mix in some Catherine Wheel, and a tiny pinch of prog juice and you have The Angela Test. This one got a lot of play from me while riding my bike around a barren airfield in Iraq for six months last year. Every song is good, but the first is epic, with tracks #2 and 8 also kicking a disproportionate amount of boo-tay.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?wjyyn5nycgt
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2009, 09:20 by dignan »

dignan

• Not quite a lurker
  • What's in the bag?
« Reply #3855 on: 04 Dec 2009, 09:54 »

Audie Darling - Full Of Ghosts
Mmmm, alt-country. It's the "alt" that makes it good...

Digging it so far; thanks for the up.

ackblom12

« Reply #3856 on: 04 Dec 2009, 12:14 »

Alright, with only 3 weeks till Christmas, here are the annual uploads of...

http://www.mediafire.com/?0omnninmzy5
It's the most horrible time of the year!
A Very Scary Solstice finally merges the wonderful tradition of merry holiday carolling with the cosmic horror of the Cthulhu Mythos. The result is a CD and sing-along songbook that features twenty five holiday favorites infused with a liberal dose of madness, horror and otherworldly blasphemies.

The CD features a cast of professional singers with each number beautifully arranged and fully orchestrated. Styles range from the classical to contemporary to nostaligic and just plain weird.

The sing-along songbook features a handy pronunciation guide, an introduction by celebrated Lovecraft scholar S.T. Joshi, and the fully lyrics to all of the carols, complete with ample footnotes teeming with bizarre trivia about the carols and their underlying mythos connections!

http://www.mediafire.com/?yrmtmvqtmxz
An Even Scarier Solstice is a sequel to our strangely popular A Very Scary Solstice. This year we've assembled better musicians, more singers, and 21 new songs of holiday horror.

The CD features a cast of more than 30 professional singers with each number beautifully arranged and fully orchestrated by Troy Sterling Nies (composer for the HPLHS film The Call of Cthulhu). Styles range from rockabilly to middle-eastern to grandly gothic and just plain weird. We've even set Lovecraft's poem, "A Brumalian Wish" to music to create (we think) the world's first original Lovecraftian Christmas carol.

The sing-along songbook features a handy pronunciation guide, an introduction by celebrated mythos author Ramsey Campbell, and the fully lyrics to all of the carols, complete with ample footnotes teeming with bizarre trivia about the carols and their underlying mythos connections!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3857 on: 04 Dec 2009, 23:02 »

Which one do you recommend more?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Zingoleb

« Reply #3858 on: 05 Dec 2009, 00:34 »

Mediaf!re is starting to piss me off. After trying to get it to upload a single fucking file for the last half hour, I said fuck it and found someone else who already had this up.

Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat - If the Sky Falls, Then We Shall Catch Larks

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?xdtdrmmlj1n

Mixitup

• Plantmonster
« Reply #3859 on: 05 Dec 2009, 07:16 »

Hellogoodbye - "Do You Want To Know a Secret" Beatles Cover (Single debut - Dec 4th, 2009)

http://www.mediafire.com/?amyfn53mdyj
http://magiska.tumblr.com/

Orcusmars

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #3860 on: 05 Dec 2009, 07:42 »

Mediaf!re is starting to piss me off. After trying to get it to upload a single fucking file for the last half hour, I said fuck it and found someone else who already had this up.

Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat - If the Sky Falls, Then We Shall Catch Larks

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?xdtdrmmlj1n

okay this album owns pretty damn hard but An Interlude to the Outermost is defs much better.
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2009, 07:47 by Orcusmars »
There is a simple dirt path
beyond the lilacs and the roses
where earthen velvet slides a lover's arm
between the red and purple bedsheets

-"Path"

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3861 on: 05 Dec 2009, 10:09 »

Icelandic shoegaze, but with none of the "English-as-a-second-language" vibe that has made other Icy acts famous.

What? It just sounds like if Muse weren't as terrible as they currently are.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

ackblom12

« Reply #3862 on: 05 Dec 2009, 10:21 »

Which one do you recommend more?

First one is sillier and a lot less subtle. 2nd one is higher producton value and they did a good job of making them sound like actual carols, so it kind of depends on your mood at the time.

tractor trailer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3863 on: 05 Dec 2009, 16:15 »

More psychedelic black metal.  Mind-blowingly good.

Negura Bunget- Om

shit just got real.

tractor trailer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3864 on: 05 Dec 2009, 16:16 »

William Fitzsimmons - The Sparrow And The Crow[2008]

this guy would lose 3/4 of his fan base if he shaved his beard.

bedhead138

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #3865 on: 05 Dec 2009, 20:17 »

The Doors - Live in New York ~ Mp3 V0

Disc 1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?bwjtd32fhyu
Disc 2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?zwfzzezyjzx
Disc 3 - http://www.mediafire.com/?gntiezoivjg
Disc 4 - http://www.mediafire.com/?f1g2m0oiyr5
Disc 5 - http://www.mediafire.com/?h4n1oybyd4g
Disc 6 - http://www.mediafire.com/?mnziwe5xyyb

This six-disc compendium contains the complete run — four sets over two nights — by the Doors' at the Felt Forum in New York City January 17 and 18, 1970. Although previously unavailable in its entirety, music from these programs has shown up prominently throughout several live packages — namely Absolutely Live (1970), and Alive She Cried (1983). Additionally, over an hour was excerpted to create the "Live in New York" CD within The Doors Box Set (1997). Most any unissued live material from the original quartet of John Densmore (drums), Robbie Krieger (guitar), Ray Manzarek (keyboards/vocals) and Jim Morrison (vocals/percussion) could be considered cause for celebration. However, the experience of hearing the band's ebb and flow as they organically develop the performance in real-time — as opposed to hearing a package of material that has been cherry-picked after the fact — is one of several advantages that the Live in New York (2009) anthology has over its predecessors. Another is the stunning fidelity throughout, thanks to the work of Doors' original producer/engineer Bruce Botnick and the exhaustive processes of restoring the eight-track, open-reel master tapes. With so much territory to cover — over seven hours in all — there are, inevitably, a few audio dropouts. In those rare instances, very good quality substitutions from other sources (of the exact same material) almost seamlessly fill in any moments that might be missing due to reel changes and the like. Always a question mark in terms of performance quality, Morrison is on pretty good behavior and in exceptional voice. Immediate evidence can be found on the soulful reading of "Blue Sunday" from the first show. However, by the final outing, his husky and raspy vocals make it clear that he is rapidly losing his range. Morrison has also cleaned up his stage prattle in the wake of the infamous occurrence where it was alleged that on March 1, 1969 in Miami, FL Morrison exposed himself during the show. A warrant was subsequently issued for his arrest on one felony count of lewd and lascivious behavior and three misdemeanor counts of indecent exposure, open profanity, and drunkenness. Certainly far from scared straight, he seems to have gotten the message, and was actually awaiting trial at the time of these recordings. He even jokingly refers to it during the spoken "Only When the Moon Comes Out" interlude on the 18th. On paper, there is little variance between each of the four set lists. However, the energy and vibe vacillate significantly from version to version and show to show. The core inclusions of "Roadhouse Blues," "Ship of Fools," "Alabama Song," "Light My Fire," and a combo pairing "Back Door Man" with "Five to One" were played every time. While "Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)," "Break on Through (To the Other Side)," and "Who Do You Love" were done a bit less frequently. On the other hand, there are rarities aplenty as "Blue Sunday," "Love Hides," "Little Red Rooster," "Crawling King Snake," a half-hearted "Wild Child," "The End," "Celebration of the Lizard," "Close to You" (sung by Manzarek) — plus the four-song encore on the 18th that includes "Rock Me Baby," "Going to N.Y. Blues," "Maggie M'Gill," and "Gloria" were only unleashed once. During that same finale, former Lovin' Spoonful co-founder John Sebastian (harmonica) is invited on-stage. According to Bruce Botnick's "technical note" found in the accompanying liner notes booklet: "When John came onstage to join The Doors for the Sunday second show encore, he was handed a microphone that was only going through The Doors' sound system, and not plugged into the Fedco Audio Labs mobile truck. As a consequence, John's harmonica didn't get recorded. So, earlier in 2009, we arranged for John to join Ray Manzarek and myself at Skywalker Sound in San Rafael. John replayed his parts as closely as possible against the PA leakage from the audience tracks on the original recorded 8-track masters." Purists will be able to use a code on the Rhino Web site (www.rhino.com) to download the untampered versions.

Disc 1: January 17, 1970 (First Show)

01. Start Of Show
02. Roadhouse Blues
03. Ship Of Fools
04. Break On Through (To The Other Side)
05. Tuning
06. Peace Frog
07. Blue Sunday
08. Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
09. Back Door Man
10. Love Hides
11. Five To One
12. Tuning/Breather
13. Who Do You Love
14. Little Red Rooster
15. Money
16. Tuning
17. Light My Fire
18. More, More, More
19. Soul Kitchen
20. End Of Show

Disc 2: January 17, 1970 (Second Show)

01. Start Show 2
02. Jim “How Ya Doing?”
03. Roadhouse Blues
04. Break On Through
05. Ship Of Fools
06. Crawling King Snake
07. Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
08. Back Door Man
09. Five To One
10. Pretty Neat, Pretty Good
11. Build Me A Woman
12. Tuning/Breather
13. Who Do You Love
14. Tuning/Breather
15. Wild Child
16. Cheering/Tuning
17. When The Music’s Over

Disc 3: January 17, 1970 (Second Show) continued

01. Tuning/Breather
02. Light My Fire
03. Hey, Mr. Light Man!
04. Soul Kitchen
05. Jim’s Fish Joke
06. The End
07. End Of Show

Disc 4: January 18, 1970 (Third Show)

1. Start Show 3
2. Roadhouse Blues
3. Ship Of Fools
4. Break On Through
5. Tuning/Breather
6. Universal Mind
7. Alabama Song (Whisky Bar) – False Start
8. Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
9. Back Door Man
10. Five To One
11. Tuning/Breather
12. Moonlight Drive
13. Who Do You Love
14. Calling Out For Songs
15. Money
16. Tuning/Breather
17. Light My Fire
18. More, More More
19. When The Music’s Over
20. Good Night – End Show

Disc 5: January 18, 1970 (Fourth Show)

01. Start Show 4
02. Roadhouse Blues
03. Peace Frog
04. Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
05. Back Door Man
06. Five To One
07. We Have A Special Treat
08. Celebration Of The Lizard
09. Alright Let’s Boogie
10. Build Me A Woman
11. When The Music’s Over
12. More, More, More

Disc 6: January 18, 1970 (Fourth Show) continued

01. Soul Kitchen
02. For Fear Of Getting Too Patriotic
03. Petition The Lord With Prayer
04. Light My Fire”
05. Only When The Moon Comes Out
06. Close To You
07. The Encore Begins
08. Rock Me
09. What To Do Next?
10. Going To N.Y. Blues
11. Tuning/Breather
12. Maggie M’Gill
13. Tuning/Breather
14. Gloria/End Of Show
If you're interested in joining a music forum, pm me and i'll send you the info

Mr Fantasy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3866 on: 05 Dec 2009, 21:45 »

I'd like to thank everyone for all the great albums. Especially the African Head Charge, Mickey Newbury and the new album leaks that really make me look oh so hip. It's not that there are so many good albums, it's really the fact that there are so few crappy albums to sort through that make this thread special.

Blah, blah.....you're just here for the music aren't you?

The Apartments - Drift

Drift features a heavier guitar sound than the albums that bookend it, but otherwise fits right into the Apartments' whiskey-soaked, vaguely French universe. Frontman Peter Milton Walsh's obsessions -- old hotels, deserted train stations, haunted women -- are all present, and his songs as melancholy as ever, if less delicate this time out. With such gorgeous melodies and cinematic lyrics, though, it seems silly to complain -- if the Apartments have settled into a groove, at least it's a good one. Drift does not reach the heights of 1995's A Life Full of Farewells, the Apartments' chamber-pop masterpiece. But fans of Tindersticks, Leonard Cohen, and Spain will find it rewarding all the same.

Not quite as good as Life full of Farewells, but much harder to find.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xmkmw5ynnoj

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Volunteered Slavery             

From the stinging blues call and response of the tile track through the killer modern creative choir jam on "Spirits Up Above" taking a small cue from Archie Shepp's Attica Blues. But it's when Kirk moves into the covers, of "My Cherie Amour," "I Say a Little Prayer," and the Coltrane medley of "Afro Blue," "Lush Life," and "Bessie's Blues," that Kirk sets it all in context: how the simplest melody that makes a record that sells millions and touches people emotionally, can be filled with the same heart as a modal, intricate masterpiece that gets a few thousand people to open up enough that they don't think the same way anymore. For Kirk, this is all part of the black musical experience. Granted, on Volunteered Slavery he's a little more formal than he would be on Blacknuss, but it's the beginning of the vein he's mining. And when the album reaches its end on "Three for the Festival," Kirk proves that he is indeed the master of any music he plays because his sense of harmony, rhythm, and melody comes not only from the masters acknowledged, but also from the collective heart of the people the masters touched. It's just awesome.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nn0xpmdsjxw

Sad Lovers and Giants -  Feeding The Flame 

Watford, England's Sad Lovers & Giants made few headlines but some strong LPs, arguably the best of which, and certainly the most somber, is this collection. Its deftly played and arresting post-punk songs are built around Tristan Garel-Funk and David Woods' subtle evocations of mood. Singer Garce Allard's voice is at once brittle-sounding but self-assured. Both factors complement the sophisticated musical structures of songs such as "Imagination" and "Sleep (Is for Everyone)." They should be one of their generation's more celebrated discoveries, but sat out time on a label much less fashionable than, say, Factory. The intricacy of Garel-Funk's guitar on "Big Tracks Little Tracks" certainly puts them on a par with the Durutti Column. "Your Skin and Mine" has an innate grandeur that, keeping indulgence at arm's length, conveys a sense of pain and isolation that echoes Joy Division. It's an album that argues for a reappraisal of one of the '80s' best-kept secrets.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cnyymwznj2v

Modern English - After the Snow                       

"I'll Melt With You" will forever be the one specific moment that's Modern English's place in pop history, but the album it came from, After the Snow, isn't anything to sneeze at. Indeed, in transforming from the quite fine but dour young miserabilists on Mesh & Lace to a brighter incarnation who still had a melancholy side, the quintet found exactly the right combination best-suited for their abilities. Like contemporaries B-Movie and the Sound, Modern English used punk and post-punk roots as a chance to introduce a haunting, beautiful take on romance and emotion, while the contributions of Stephen Walker on keyboard helped make the album both of its time and timeless. That said, the secret weapon on the album is the rhythm section of Michael Conroy and Richard Brown, able to shift from the polite but relentless tribal beat clatter on the excellent "Life in the Gladhouse" to the ever more intense punch of the title track, the album's unheralded masterpiece. None of this is to denigrate the contributions of singer Robbie Grey and guitarist Gary McDowell. The former's seemingly mannered singing actually shows a remarkable fluidity at points -- "After the Snow" again is a good reference point, as is the fraught, slow-burn epic "Dawn Chorus" -- while McDowell works around the band's various arrangements instead of trying to dominate them. Some songs, like "Face of Wood," even find Modern English -- often dogged with Joy Division comparisons early on -- predicting where New Order would go before that band got there itself. Still, "I Melt With You" is the main reason most will want to investigate further. A perfect pop moment that didn't have to strain for it, its balance of giddy sentiment and heartfelt passion matched with a rush of acoustic and electric guitar overdubs just can't be beat.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mwy2tn20mnn

Failure - Fantastic Planet               

Sometimes it makes one wonder how such similar ingredients can create such different results. Take Failure for example. You get the mourning vocals, the discordant wails of guitar feedback, the Steve Albini production -- yes, just about everything that fits the Nirvana template. Yet Failure seem to miss the point. Because even here on the band's third album out of the fire, Fantastic Planet is ripe with idolized ingredients but low on original flavor. One aspect that seems to be in the band's favor this time around is the choice to self-produce. While not exceptional, their ear towards the atmospherics (check out the Downward Spiral-like "Daylight" or interludes like "Segue 3") help create an effort that is more skilled than your average Kurt Cobain-worshiper. Another strong sign is that this album seems more guided by Greg Edwards' swaying basslines than most bands' reliance on angry guitars. However, these high marks can't hide the normally weak songwriting. The lyrics go from quoting Russian films to clumsy metaphors about carpet stores ("Go ahead roll me up in your detachment/I'm here to decorate your fear for awhile") while the oafish musical structures leave little to the imagination. One crucial ingredient that might be missing is a talent for hooks. Because despite everything else -- and regardless of the true internal antipathy towards himself and his world -- Cobain still had an undeniable skill for crafting songs in the middle of all the "noise." An album like Fantastic Planet, on the other hand, shows how a different band can attempt to create the same "pained" dish, yet continue to burn themselves with almost every style-over-substance track. Failure might get there someday. It's just that until that day arrives, we are only left with albums that hint at a talent hiding behind another band's personality.

That review was clearly written by a moronic hack under the delusion Cobain had more than a speck of talent. Posted for the lulz.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lxdglqyigyr

Digable Planets - Blowout Comb   

Media darlings after the commercial success of their debut, Digable Planets attempted to prove their artistic merit with this second album, and succeeded wildly. A worthy, underrated successor, Blowout Comb was just as catchy and memorable as their first, and also offered the perfect response to critics and hip-hop fans who complained they weren't "real" enough. Except for a dark, indecipherable single named "Dial 7 (Axioms of Creamy Spies)," Blowout Comb excelled at pushing great grooves over sunny-day party jams, even when the crew was providing deft social commentary -- as on "Black Ego" and "Dial 7 (Axioms of Creamy Spies)." The trio used their greater clout to invite instrumentalists instead of relying completely on samples, and the music took on more aspects of the live jam than before. Though Blowout Comb still borrowed a host of riffs from great jazz anthems (from Bob James to Bobbi Humphrey), Digable Planets used them well, as beds for their back-and-forth freestyling and solos from guests. The Digables remade Roy Ayers' "We Live in Brooklyn, Baby" into "Borough Check," and invited Guru from Gang Starr to salute Brooklyn's block-parties and barbershops. (The focus on the neighborhood even carried over to the liner notes, laid out like a community newspaper.) The closer, a brassy, seven-minute "For Corners," also captured that fleeting feeling of neighborhood peace. Though Blowout Comb lacked the commercial punch of Reachin', Digable Planets made great strides in the two areas they'd previously been criticized: beats and rhymes. The beats were incredible, some of the best ever heard on a rap record, a hip-hop version of the classic, off-kilter, New Orleans second-line funk. The productions, all crafted by the group themselves, were laid-back and clearly superior to much hip-hop of the time. The raps, though certainly not hardcore, were just as intelligent as on the debut, and flowed much better. While Reachin' came to sound like a moment in time for the jazz-rap crowd, Blowout Comb has remained a timeless classic.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmuehmzzyzm

Rocket From The Tombs - The Day the Earth Met the Rocket from the Tombs

Rocket From the Tombs, the Cleveland band that featured a pre-Pere Ubu David Thomas and future members of the Dead Boys, has been hailed by numerous serious rock critics as overlooked punk and new wave forefathers. They never entered a recording studio, however, and for the most part their scant body of demos and live tapes have been heard only by serious collectors, though some were available on the 1990 album Life Stinks (itself hard to find now). The Day the Earth Met the Rocket From the Tombs does not issue every tape known to exist by the group, and is not perfect from the standpoints of fidelity and performance. The 74-minute disc does, however, finally make a reasonably comprehensive document of their work widely available for the first time. The first half is devoted to a February 1975 loft rehearsal, and though the sound is on the muddy side, the performances raw, and the songs on which David Thomas sings lead afflicted by some indistinct vocals, it's a quite powerful fusion of hard rock, metal, and art rock that in retrospect can be seen to contain some seeds of American punk. Particularly edgy are an early version of "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" (redone to famous effect by Pere Ubu) and the nearly out-of-control "Life Stinks," though the standout number is the unexpectedly melodic, lyrically desperate "Ain't It Fun." The next seven songs, from one of their final shows in July 1975, boast better (though not outstanding) fidelity, and some of their most innovative compositions ("Final Solution" and "Sonic Reducer"), as well as the arcane Velvet Underground cover "Foggy Notion" (at that time impossible to find even on bootleg). Thomas doesn't sing lead on any of the July 1975 numbers but does on all three of the final selections, taken from a May 1975 show, including the future Dead Boys staple "Down in Flames" (with a downright avant-garde instrumental section) and a cover of "Search & Destroy." There are shortcomings to Rocket From the Tombs: some of the songs leaned too heavily on heavy metal and simple outrage, and for all the notoriety attached to the band because of the Pere Ubu and Dead Boys connections, their best moments were actually the more sensitive reflections on troubled youth by Peter Laughner. And there are some imperfections to the package in that it doesn't include all the known Rocket From the Tombs tapes, the excerpts seemingly selected so as not to repeat any song twice (it's also unfortunate that the loft cover of the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction" fades out almost as soon as it starts). Yet, in all, this is a release of considerable historical importance and definite musical worth, enhanced by lengthy and knowledgeable liner notes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmyoinynxye

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death   

A very impressive debut from a great band out of Wisconsin, it was originally released on a Mexican label in 1988 but has been reissued on the new Grind Core label. This quintet plays hardcore speed-metal that sounds like a cross between Kreator and Dark Angel. The kind of music that made thrash and speed-metal so good in the '80s, it doesn't sound dated.

The first 60 seconds of Crying for Death is probably better than the total output of Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax combined. Blistering, pummeling thrash not for the faint of heart.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjz02dwzzmy

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3867 on: 05 Dec 2009, 22:03 »

Tricot Machine - s/t[2007]

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?b2ulwjziy2nPas fait en chocolat
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2009, 22:19 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #3868 on: 05 Dec 2009, 22:08 »

I am Scarychips and I approve the post right above mine.
Joking aside, really guys, if you like twee music, this is incredible. They have a song about the singer's relationship with a bear.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3869 on: 05 Dec 2009, 22:09 »

I can't see the art but I'll download it just for the bear song.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #3870 on: 05 Dec 2009, 22:13 »

Tricot Machine - s/t[2007]

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?b2ulwjziy2nPas fait en chocolat

FYP

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3871 on: 05 Dec 2009, 22:15 »

fucking disgusting

...ly adorable auuuuuugh

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3872 on: 05 Dec 2009, 22:20 »

Fixed the image

Mein Tumblr

GnarlsBroccoli

• Plantmonster
« Reply #3873 on: 06 Dec 2009, 09:43 »

I've come out of lurking just to post this again.  Tis the season for...

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas !

http://www.mediafire.com/?0keltjwneey

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3874 on: 06 Dec 2009, 11:51 »

William Fitzsimmons - The Sparrow And The Crow[2008]
[img]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8497/williamfitzsimmons.jpg[img]
this guy would lose 3/4 of his fan base if he shaved his beard.
You could say the same for Matisyahu

Mein Tumblr

Mixitup

• Plantmonster
« Reply #3875 on: 06 Dec 2009, 14:45 »

Zilla and Buddy Peace - A Friendly Game Of Chess (2003)
Label: Bewilderd Beat-Hedz, Gluestick Acoustics
CDr, Mixed, Promo/ Country: UK
Genre: Electronic, Hip Hop, Rock
http://www.spannered.org/live/123/
Been looking for this for quite a while for a friend,
didn't think I'd find it. Rare.

CD limited to 100 hand-made, spray painted copies.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jyjgkwmthmd

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3876 on: 06 Dec 2009, 15:11 »

Doves feat. London Bulgarian Choir - Live at Electric Proms, Roundhouse; London, England [2009]

Doves took to The Roundhouse stage with the London Bulgarian Choir for a brand new performance, reworking the band's music for the BBC Electric Proms audience.

Composer Avshalom Caspi was specially commissioned to rearrange a number of Doves tracks for the 40-strong London Bulgarian Choir. The choir's unique phrasing and emotive folk singing style perfectly complemented the soaring melodies of the band.

Doves' front man Jimi Goodwin said, before the show: "We're really excited about playing at the BBC Electric Proms. The voices of the London Bulgarian Choir are just unbelievable, and it is brilliant just to get the chance to play the songs differently for the Roundhouse audience. It is going to be really special."

In addition, Doves were joined on stage by celebrated North Indian classical musician Baluji Shrivastav who played on the album track Birds Flew Backwards.

The band's fourth album Kingdom of Rust features all the elements which make Doves so recognisable. Blurring the line between joy and heartbreak, the songs channel universal emotions that connect on a personal level. Says Jimi, "You sometimes see that in the faces when people sing along live. We always think about leaving enough room for the listener to put themselves in there somewhere".

Really fucking ace recording for a live album, and the band sounds spot-on for the whole thing (the choir is occasionally hit and miss). They even play "Catch the Sun," a song that hasn't been seen live for 8 years (those bastards). Basically this is a must-have for any Doves fan. And if you're not a Doves fan, it's a great introduction to their brand of electro-influenced indie rock.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?jm4ziwwjggl
Oops I just realized I uploaded this without track 14. It's a choral interlude between the main show and the encore, but if you want the complete show, you might as well download it.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?wcwmja2bent

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3877 on: 06 Dec 2009, 22:16 »

Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms[2009]

http://www.mediafire.com/?miyioojmxue(8.6/10)
Quote from: Pitchspork
"Borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered 80s." Those words, when James Murphy over-enunciated them on what's still arguably the decade's best piece of music-as-music-criticism-- LCD Soundsystem's 2002 debut single, "Losing My Edge"-- had the decisive feel of a gauntlet being thrown down. One 1980s baby struck back with a Nintendo Power Glove. Just a guess: Probably not what Murphy had in mind.

Of course, cheaply copied reminiscences of a blurrily imagined decade are basically their own genre now, cloudy and proud. The sound has many names, but none of them seem to fit just right. Dream-beat, chillwave, glo-fi, hypnagogic pop, even hipster-gogic pop-- all are imperfect phrases for describing a psychedelic music that's generally one or all of the following: synth-based, homemade-sounding, 80s-referencing, cassette-oriented, sun-baked, laid-back, warped, hazy, emotionally distant, slightly out of focus. Washed Out. Memory Tapes. Ducktails. Ah-woo-ooh.

For Alan Palomo, reflecting on the music of the Reagan era has a personal component. The Texas-reared Mexico native's dad, Jorge, was a bit of a Spanish-language pop star in the late 1970s and early 80s. The analog electronics of that bygone period echo throughout the younger Palomo's increasingly promising previous recordings, whether with former band Ghosthustler (he wore the Power Glove in the video for their "Parking Lot Nights") or, more recently, on VEGA's Well Known Pleasures EP. Finally, working with Brooklyn-based visual collaborator Alicia Scardetta as Neon Indian, Palomo has brought all the best of 2009's summer sounds-- bedroom production, borrowed nostalgia, unresolved sadness, deceptively agile popcraft-- together on a single album.

Whatever they owe to the past, the memories on Psychic Chasms are Palomo's and ours. Soft vocals recalling You Made Me Realise-era Kevin Shields. Italo-disco synth arpeggios. Hall & Oates drum sounds. Divebombing video-game effects. Brittle guitar distortion. Manipulated tapes that bend the notes the way Shields' "glide guitar" did, the way bluesmen's fret fingers did. Field recordings of birds. Oohing and ahhing backing vocals. And samples, on at least two songs, of the elder Palomo, whose electro-rock approach was quite similar. All combine on eight or nine unforgettable songs and a few tantalizingly brief interludes, indelibly capturing the glamor and bleary malaise of being young and horny as an empire devours itself.

Like a low-rent Daft Punk, Palomo takes what 1990s rock fans probably would've considered cheesy-- LinnDrum and Oberheim rhythms, Chromeo-plated electro-funk Korg riffs, processed party-vocal samples-- and not only makes them part of a distinct artistic vision, but also keeps them fun. Quick opener "(AM)" is rife with detail, as an indecipherable tenor floats over a mock-dramatic drum fill and 8-bit star cruisers do battle against twinkling fairy dust. Another sub-minute interstitial track, "(If I Knew, I'd Tell You)", keeps its secrets to itself, letting multiple melodic synth lines hint at a gulf-sized pool of melancholy over a tape-altered rhythm track. "Laughing Gas", at slightly more than a lyric-less minute and a half, is the one that ruins my attempted distinction between songs and interludes, with bongo drums, robot vocal samples, and euphoric giggles straight out of those Air France kids' dreams. The cumulative result is a meltdown-deadened but deliriously inventive perspective on pop.

"I really hope the medium by which someone writes a song isn't the only thing the song has going for it," Palomo told our own Ryan Dombal in a recent interview. With Psychic Chasms, Palomo doesn't need to worry. "Deadbeat Summer" and "Should Have Taken Acid With You" are two views of the same non-endless season-- one mind-expandingly lazy and the other too lazy for mind expansion, both undeniably catchy, both earning doctorates in The Graduate school of coming-of-age ennui. The Italo-alluding title track, the New Order-throbbing "Local Joke", and the visceral funk alarums of "Ephemeral Artery" are beautiful bummers, tracks with lyrics the faithful are sure to puzzle out the way kids used to with the first couple of Weezer CDs. "Living this way held by a single strand/ But you wouldn't understand," worries "6669 (I Don't Know If You Know)", which comes back, refracted again, as 56-second finale "7000 (Reprise)". If you want to destroy his sweater, hold this thread as he walks away.

Overall, Psychic Chasms is something like a dream collaboration between the Tough Alliance and Atlas Sound, the latter of whose Internet-only Weekend EP shares a delinquent theme with one of Psychic Chasms' best songs. After barely a half hour, the whole thing is over, but there's enough going on in the layered electronics and enigmatic longing to make this one of the year's most replayable albums. Consider "Terminally Chill", which has more vocal and instrumental hooks than the average Top 40 song, but also the immediately recognizable stamp of an impressive young talent. Palomo's gear was stolen last month while on tour with VEGA, but a recent FADER video suggests he could launch a decently credible alternate "career" as an acoustic troubadour doing Mexican traditional songs. For various mundane personal reasons, this cassette-focused album is one of the actual CDs I've listened to most since I actually listened to CDs. A new generation's borrowed nostalgia? High time.
Deadbeat Summer

And something completely different
Julie Doiron - I Can Wonder What You Did with Your Day[2009]

Julie Doiron's 2009 album I Can Wonder What You Did with Your Day follows the same basic template as her previous album Woke Myself Up. Divided between quiet, austere ballads and gently rocking songs, the record is easily the equal of that album and has moments that rate with her best. While Woke Myself Up was a reunion of Doiron and her Eric's Trip bandmates, this time only Rick White is involved, providing bass, keyboards, and production. Recent collaborator Fred Squire rounds out the group on drums and some guitar, and between the three musicians they craft a sparse, sweet, and intimate album. Doiron's direct and focused lyrical style, her simple yet plaintive vocals, and her simple writing approach give the album the feel of a tender confession. The songs that stand out most are those that give the listener a boost, like the almost peppy "Consolation Prize" (though typically the bouncy hooks are matched with melancholy words), the lilting "Borrowed Minivans," or the perfect for driving through rain-slicked city streets at night "Lovers of the World." With a coating of fuzz and hiss, they could have been highlights on an Eric's Trip record. Without them, they are very good indie rock songs. Good as these uptempo songs are, the songs that pack the most emotional punch are the songs where Doiron's voice is paired with minimal musical backing. Blue's echoing electric guitar swoops can't cover the pain in Doiron's vocals and words, the simple chords and deliberate tempos of "Spill Yer Lungs" provide a steady foundation for Doiron to quietly spill her guts. Many singers would try to fill the space in these songs with vocal gymnastics or tricks, but she is content to stick within the boundaries of the song and this restraint ends up being one of her strongest points. The listener is never distracted from the blunt and real-sounding nature of the words on the sad songs, alternately you never get the feeling she is faking the few happy songs like "Glad to Be Alive" or "Nice to Come Home." The only song on the album that doesn't work is the dirge-y "Heavy Snow," where both the guitars and Doiron's voice end up getting carried away and overdoing things just a touch. Otherwise, I Can Wonder What You Did with Your Day is a solid addition to the catalog of one of the best underrated singer/songwriters around.
http://www.mediafire.com/?zydjjalntmzConsolation Prize

Mein Tumblr

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #3878 on: 07 Dec 2009, 00:06 »

The only album of Christmas music I will ever voluntarily listen to.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3879 on: 07 Dec 2009, 00:38 »

Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms[2009]

About time this popped up on here. Good stuff.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #3880 on: 07 Dec 2009, 01:00 »

OK, it is time to post these again

Low - Santa's Coming Over/ The Coming of Jah
http://www.mediafire.com/?mkqzzem2hwn

Low - Christmas
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?fydffymywlt
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2009, 14:21 by E. Spaceman »
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

minus_the_david

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3881 on: 07 Dec 2009, 08:15 »

That Doves album up there won't extract. i've tried with regular windows "extract all" and with 7-zip...why does this happen to me????

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3882 on: 07 Dec 2009, 14:28 »

Well, I found it on Sordo, so you can probably snag it there if my link isn't workin' for ya.

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #3883 on: 07 Dec 2009, 15:11 »

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?b1zjvymw1wzHelicopter Helicopter- By Starlight
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3884 on: 07 Dec 2009, 20:52 »

Okay, Wire megapost time.

Wire are one of my favourite artists, and while a lot of people are peripherally aware of their influence on modern music, they're often forgotten. Wire are one of the key early figures of post-punk, and music journalists love to refer to them as "the British Velvet Underground" due to both bands being immeasurably influential but not commercially successful. Wire were a critical influence on artists as varied as Joy Division, Minor Threat, REM and Guided by Voices and that's barely scratching the surface. But the purpose of this post isn't to ramble about who Wire are, but rather to introduce you to their discography.

Let's begin at the start (or start at the beginning!), with the first three albums - the only three produced with the "unofficial fifth member," producer Mike Thorne, and easily the strongest three records in their discograph.

Pink Flag (1977)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?otymtwmeatz
The Wire album that most people have already heard, or at least heard of. 21 songs of punk energy combined with art-rock sensibilities in around half an hour. Wire abandon punk's reliance on traditional verse-chorus nonsense and craft minimalist songs that end when they run out of words. A simply amazing album that remains one of my personal favourites. This download includes two singles ("Dot Dash" and "Options R") that were released shortly after the album as tracks 22 and 23 - I strongly recommend listening to the album without these two tracks, as while both tracks are fine, the album as a whole is much more successful without them.

Chairs Missing (1978)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?ymjzytzyd4m
Definitely not a Pink Flag Mk II, Chairs Missing marks the beginning of Wire's flirtation with electronic music. Songs both sound like and go for as long as more traditional pop songs here, and keyboards enter the mix. But the sound remains fresh and powerful, and the music sounds modern even after over three decades have passed. "Outdoor Miner," one of my personal favourite tracks from the album, is a sublime pop song about a bug that burrows through leaves. It could have actually broken Wire as a commercial band if EMI's attempt to rig chart position hadn't forced their appearance on Top of the Pops to be cancelled. If you enjoy the track, hunt down the extended single mix (I prefer the shorter album version, but it's worth a comparison).

154 (1979)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?yjgykcntjjq
A continued electronic and experimental slant is evident in 154, possibly due to Brian Eno influences (an art-school acquaintance of a couple band members). The album itself is not as much an unqualified success as Chairs Missing or Pink Flag, but is nonetheless an excellent album. Increased influence on texture and atmosphere don't compromise the band's ability to write great, simple songs.

After 154 and some confrontational live shows of mixed success, Wire had an extended hiatus (or broke up and got back together, depending on who you talk to). Shortly afterwards, Colin Newman, the lead singer, put out a solo album with the assistance of Wire drummer Robert Gotobed. His debut album is included as it expands upon the sonic blueprint of "Two People In A Room" from 154 and definitely feels like a part of the Wire discography. Graham Lewis and Bruce Gilbert also released some more experimental work under a few names (notably Dome) but you can hunt this down yourselves :)

Colin Newman - A-Z (1980)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?azwy3nvktwy
Newman also put out albums in '81 and '82 (one of them an instrumental record) that I haven't listened to myself.

Wire reformed in the mid-eighties when electronic music had well and truly been embraced by the mainstream, and embraced a dancier sound with a stronger emphasis on the electronic elements seeping into their '70s work. Gotobed was largely sidelined as the band incorporated a drum machine into their work. Graham Lewis takes on the role of lead vocalist in a good number of tracks across their late-'80s work, and the records don't, by and large, stand up quite as well as their first three records. Partly I think this is due to the nature of technology at the time - Wire's goal was to create dense, textural (pop) music and either their proficiency with the technology at hand or their access to said technology did not always meet these goals.

The Ideal Copy (1987) (plus Snakedrill EP and live tracks)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?wndnf1mgjmz
An interesting effort, not on par with the first three albums but certainly worth a listen nonetheless. I feel some of the album tracks can be a little dry, with too much emphasis on texture and not enough on the songs themselves. However the Snakedrill EP (tracks 9 to 12) is more successful, combining the electronic sound with genuine energy and quality songwriting that evokes their '70s work. Notable for being a reunion work that makes a significant effort to push towards the future rather than resting on past laurels - though, given Wire's sound changing significantly on every album thus far, this is hardly a surprise.

A Bell Is A Cup... Until It Is Struck (1987)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?znon3fnjtnz
Released shortly after The Ideal Copy, A Bell Is A Cup... shows a more confident Wire, with substantially more success in adapting their new sounds to strong songs. The record is perhaps the most "poppy" of their releases, but is undeniably the highlight of their late '80s work. This version of the album contains 4 bonus tracks, as per the CD release.

It's Beginning to and Back Again (1989)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?d13mrahti2y
Not strictly a studio album, this record is created through the remixing of live Wire recordings, to the point where they don't necessarily reflect the original live recordings. I'm still undecided on my feelings towards this album, but it's included for the sake of completeness.

Manscape (1990)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?itwizynzmfz
Signficant internal band tension, particularly from Gotobed, whose role was becoming near non-existent, leaves this as probably the least successful Wire album. Shortly after this album, Gotobed left the band, and they released another album, "The First Letter," going by WIR (removing a letter to signify Gotobed's departure). Unfortunately I don't have this album so it hasn't been included in this post. I've listened to it before and I don't recall it being amazing, though.

Wire (or WIR) went on an extended hiatus again, before reforming a decade or so down the track, starting off with the impressive Read & Burn project.

Read & Burn 01 (2002)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?mekywjnmedy

Read & Burn 02 (2002)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?udg5ymeiziz
Released within the same year, the Read & Burn EPs show a Wire back in full form. The electronic experimentation of the late-eighties is largely abandoned for a triumphant return to guitars and drums - the sound is certainly not an attempt to recapture Pink Flag though, with an impressive guitar sound courtesy of producer...Colin Newman, who's dabbled extensively in the studio across the previous decades. Each EP has its own distinct sound, and both come highly recommended.

These EPs were then collected, with some new tracks, on an equally impressive LP:

Send (2003)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?a4m2oncttfn

Wire took a break for a while, then reappeared with two more new releases, again with each capturing a distinct modern sound. Straight forward, clean and minimalistic rock remains the focus:

Read & Burn 03 (2007)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?wonfuzimjwg
Another Read & Burn project - quieter and more pop-focused than the previous two, but still effective.

Object 47 (2008)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?in42djwkmji
Just as "154" was named for the number of live shows the bands had played at that date, Object 47 recognises the 47th physical release of Wire (including singles, live records, etc). Both this album and Read & Burn 03 come highly recommended.

Finally, a couple of curios that you might want to investigate if you enjoyed the albums and EPs (or if you're already a Wire fan and don't have these...):

Twelve Times You (2000)
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?yqknygzzmny
A couple interpretations of Wire's most enduring song, "12XU."

I was also going to include "The Drill" from 1991, an album full of remixes/different interpretations of the one track, but unfortunately my version is too high quality to easily mediafire. If anyone is desperate for a copy, let me know via PM and I'll try to work something out.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #3885 on: 07 Dec 2009, 21:00 »

Whoa! Excellent. Already got the first three records, but I'm definitely going to be downloading some more of that when I have a stronger net connection.

Chad Warner

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3886 on: 07 Dec 2009, 21:27 »

Saw this in a record exchange recently, heard the CD is hard to find so I grabbed it right away. It's my first Elf Power CD and it definately got me interested in checking out some of their other stuff. If anyone is interested in the Elephant 6 Recording Company then this is definitely a CD worth checking out. Hope you enjoy.

Elf Power - When The Red King Comes

http://www.mediafire.com/?4mom2ckn2lk

barista.babe

• Emoticontraindication
  • Patron Saint of Vaginal Itch
    • not that hard to follow me.
« Reply #3887 on: 08 Dec 2009, 06:21 »

Is anyone else anxious for the new Final Fantasy album? I believe the new album is entitled "Heartland." I probably should rephrase that to "Is anyone else anxious for the new Final Fantasy album to leak?"
The Internet got me pregnant.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3888 on: 08 Dec 2009, 06:32 »

c'mon man

To be fair, they're an entertaining live band, Sam.

Even more entertaining when Warped Tour had two main stages and the Casualties decided to turn their amps all the way up and drown them out.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3889 on: 08 Dec 2009, 08:05 »

Thank you
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ogbza

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3890 on: 08 Dec 2009, 11:32 »

First Post

THE YOUNG REPUBLIC - BALLETESQUE

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?qme42zekmzi
"Balletesque’ is like a dignified Southern gent, the music flowing as smoothly as bourbon. But while you can relax and enjoy it you won’t be able to resist dancing."
Stuart Gadd, Artrocker

“Balletesque makes significant claims for a band whose time has come.”
Michael Quinn, BBC Muisc

« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2009, 11:36 by ogbza »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3891 on: 08 Dec 2009, 14:15 »

downloading based on the cover alone; I am a sucker for accordions.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #3892 on: 08 Dec 2009, 15:38 »

Is anyone else anxious for the new Final Fantasy album? I believe the new album is entitled "Heartland." I probably should rephrase that to "Is anyone else anxious for the new Final Fantasy album to leak?"

I am incredibly anxious. Owen Pallett is my hero. But! I will not download the leak. I am too loyal of a fan to grab it.

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #3893 on: 08 Dec 2009, 20:54 »

Jackie Oates – Hyperboreans

MySpace
Hyperboreans Live (YouTube)
http://www.mediafire.com/?donk5mmcn3u
Quote from: Guardian
Jackie Oates is deservedly becoming yet another young celebrity in the new folk scene, but she has some famous friends to help her – especially her brother. He is Jim Moray, the highly experimental folk star whose Low Culture album was one of the highlights of last year. Here he acts as his sister’s producer, while adding anything from guitar and mandolin to bass, banjo, vocals and a dash of sampling to her gently breathy vocals and violin, viola and cello work. She’s also assisted by that fine Scottish singer-songwriter Alasdair Roberts, who wrote the title track and adds guitar and vocals. But none of that should take attention away from Oates herself. She is capable of handling anything from traditional songs such as The Miller and his Three Songs (helped by Moray’s percussion effects and some sturdy melodeon work from Saul Rose) or the powerful murder-ballad The Butcher’s Boy (on which Roberts adds vocal backing) through to the totally unexpected: a string-backed treatment of the Sugarcubes’ Birthday.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3894 on: 08 Dec 2009, 21:43 »

3 very different albums from 3 very different genres.

Marla Hansen - Wedding Day [2007]

Youtube
So. fucking. good. One of my favorite folk artists, ever. Period. Beautiful voice. Has played with Sufjan Stevens.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?oozyngeny1k

Soundpool - Dichotomies & Dreamland [2008]

Youtube
Seriously good shoegaze. Take the fuzzy guitars of My Bloody Valentine and the weird electronics of Black Moth Super Rainbow, mix, and add dreamy female vox.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?dyzqzm3yznz

Frankmusik - Completely Me [2009]

Youtube
Acoustic version of the debut pop album "Complete Me" by Frankmusik. (Guilty pleasure material.)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?ujnygmymnlw

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3895 on: 08 Dec 2009, 21:43 »

Rules:

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to mediaf!re.com, in multiple parts if the album is over 200mbs. The reason for this is that we know mediaf!re is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums. This includes requests for re-uploads; if you miss it, try looking for it somewhere else.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3896 on: 08 Dec 2009, 21:59 »

Frankmusik - Completely Me [2009]

0_0