Moment of the Week?

It's a secret! (waffles)
No peeking!
Hanners continuing to peek anyway.
The unmentionable DAAAAAANG
Pintsize's coma
"Damn, girl!"
Mister gentleman
First he was all :D, and then he was :), but soon he was :|, and finally he was :(
BOOBS!
Happy Arbor Day 2003!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2056-2060; Nov. 14-18, 2011  (Read 235896 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: WCDT 2056-2060; Nov. 14-18, 2011
« Reply #150 on: 14 Nov 2011, 23:25 »

Stoutflies mentioned that Padma talks, Marten listens. 

I just wanted to refute that.  She listens

Of course, then she calls it "Townie Drama"!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #151 on: 14 Nov 2011, 23:26 »

What does this mean for Marten? We've never seen him do casual. Granted that may have been for lack of opportunity, but he may believe that Sensitive Guys are supposed to get emotionally involved. Doing so now would result in making him unhappy, so it must be about to happen.
Err, what gives you the idea this is casual ? So far I havent felt any lack of emotional involvement on Marten's side.
Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #152 on: 14 Nov 2011, 23:26 »

Slut = promiscuous person. That's its primary meaning these days,

Actually, it's the primary meaning since Middle English times, according to the OED.  Stoutfiles appears to have quoted the first definition only from Chambers, which was a bit perverse as that didn't appear to be the meaning he used.

As for people with different world-views reading this comic, I might also be taken as an example, perhaps...

<moderator>
Those of you who are criticising one poster for having a different view from you should remember that it is not an uncommon view in many parts of society, and many parts of the world.  By all means point this out, and present arguments to support your case for your  view (though they may be not such much arguments as statements of convention in another part of society in this case), but please stay away from criticising someone for the act of having different views (you're generally doing OK so far, I should say). 

Note that merely presenting a different view that may cause discussion is not in itself trolling - that requires a primary intent  to cause trouble.
<moderator>
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2011, 00:17 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Monkey Says Yes

• Plantmonster
« Reply #153 on: 14 Nov 2011, 23:30 »

Today's comic made me really, really happy.  It touched me in that special place.

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #154 on: 14 Nov 2011, 23:33 »

I can't add to the commentary regarding Marten and Padma's actions, but in the 21st century, where both parties know that there is no realistic long-term relationship prospects, are both consenting adults of the same sort of age and both know each other well enough but not too well, they should be able to have a one night stand without affecting the remaining days of their friendship or having the female referred to as a slut. Anyway, enough about Faye and Sven.

I really think that Marten isn't going to get mopey about this, as he knew before the night started that she wasn't going to be around forever.

Also has anyone noticed that they've sobered up?

[Warning - while you were typing 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. ] oh god
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #155 on: 14 Nov 2011, 23:34 »

Today's comic made me really, really happy.  It touched me in that special place.

Do we need the dollie? (too much SVU, I know....)

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #156 on: 14 Nov 2011, 23:41 »

Also did anyone else notice that the bags under his eyes are gone now?

I did! It's literally been a year since they appeared, and this is the first time they've been gone!

Going into the dancing date, I expected some sloppy makeouts...but not naked sloppy makeouts. Glad for the surprise though!  :-)

No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #157 on: 14 Nov 2011, 23:50 »

Over the years, I've learned that you should try to live your life with as few regrets as possible.  they tend to pile up, especially late at night. 

So, which would give Marten more regrets, and more to mope about;

Having fun sexytimes with someone who's willing, and to whom he's attracted, even though he knows full well she's moving away, possible for good;

-or-

Not doing so? 

I'm afraid I know the answer from experience, but that's a story for another day...

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #158 on: 14 Nov 2011, 23:54 »

I did! It's literally been a year since they appeared, and this is the first time they've been gone!

Wow... it's really been that long?

I admit I didn't notice it. I had been thinking that this will be a turning point in Marten's mood, and this adds weight to that idea.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #159 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:00 »

That long - and it was as a reaction to the following storm that I became a mod...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #160 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:02 »

Happy aniversary?

Fen

• Emoticontraindication
  • Pregrinating flâneur
    • Blog!
« Reply #161 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:11 »

What does this mean for Marten? We've never seen him do casual. Granted that may have been for lack of opportunity, but he may believe that Sensitive Guys are supposed to get emotionally involved. Doing so now would result in making him unhappy, so it must be about to happen.
Err, what gives you the idea this is casual ? So far I havent felt any lack of emotional involvement on Marten's side.

The only involvement he's shown so far is purely physical(which is what sex also happens to be). He also said he was infatuated with her, rather than anything else. Infatuation is a pretty non-involvement kind of term. Though under normal circumstances a relationship may have been pursued, it is most likely not the case, and they do not know each other well enough to do the long-distance thing.

Also, it's not like the past hundred strips or so have had Marten checking out every butt in existence. Boy was horny.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #162 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:14 »

Not really, once she leaves we'll get a mopey, depressed Marten for who knows how many strips.  I'm not looking forward to that arc.

Also, sex on a first date?  Padma is the definition of slut.  I think if Marten got herpes that would be a good lesson for all the readers out there, a girl putting out on the first date is usually a girl putting out for everyone.

I... what?

Come off it, it´s not the 1950´s anymore.

westrim

« Reply #163 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:18 »

It took me a couple look throughs to notice Pintsize laying there- I guess I was distracted by the panties. I don't know that I'd want it in the same room with me while banging, even if he is turned off. It's like having the cat watch you.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #164 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:21 »

Not really, once she leaves we'll get a mopey, depressed Marten for who knows how many strips.  I'm not looking forward to that arc.

Also, sex on a first date?  Padma is the definition of slut.  I think if Marten got herpes that would be a good lesson for all the readers out there, a girl putting out on the first date is usually a girl putting out for everyone.
I... what?

Come off it, it´s not the 1950´s anymore.
Err ... what ?

In the 1950's (pre pill, when was it developed anyway ?) you would have had to marry a woman to have sex with her. At least that was still the official version back then.

Rules like "no sex on the first date" ARE definitely 2010's, not 1950's. Not to mention there are of course still parts of the world (huge parts) where "no sex before marriage" is still in effect.

Calling a woman a "slut" though is definitely outdated now.
Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #165 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:22 »

The outdated bit is putting the sluttishness on the woman but not (or not equally) on the man; these days that is viewed as sexism.

I am one of only two forum regulars who managed to be a teenager in the 1950s (only by a few months in my case) - so I know well how it was.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #166 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:29 »

please stay away from criticising someone for the act of having different views (you're generally doing OK so far, I should say). 

It took THAT to drag me out of lurking and ask- to what extent are "they doing "ok"? "

The part where someone called him a "prick"?

Or where someone else labeled him a "spiteful person"?

Or the part where, just because of a personal opinion, a poster decided to go off on a seven paragraph tirade?

This stuff- this right here is EXACTLY why I stopped posting in the forums in the first place.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #167 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:32 »

Also did anyone else notice that the bags under his eyes are gone now?

That's what I came into the thread to say. Huzzah!

wiikipedia

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #168 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:34 »

While happy for Marten it seems to me that while he is in a high now the inevitable oncoming downturn is likely to be proportional.  I find it difficult to imagine everything continuing to go so well for both Marten and Faye.  Also as a side note to file under (almost) baseless and (somewhat) morbid guesses, am I the only one considering the possible ramifications of Padma's grandmother dieing before or even shortly after Padma's move, it seems like just the drama inducing plot that just might happen.

Oh and hello  :laugh: nice to meet you!

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #169 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:35 »

OMG you guys were busy!  Two fracking pages!  TWO!

As I've said before, I don't see any good coming from this.  And while I wouldn't go as far as stoutfiles and call Padma a slut, I am concerned that she may be using Marten.  Her choice of underwear makes it clear that she was prepared for this.  Now, I don't see Marten complaining yet, but in a couple of days I expect him to start getting mopey, and quite frankly that is not entirely unexpectable.  She should know this: I mean, the one time before now that she actually listened to what Marten was saying, all he did was whine about his "townie drama".  Honestly, Padma is getting less likable in my opinion, as her obliviousness is getting to be downright criminal.  I've already remarked on how her lack of awareness has the tendency to hurt people around her, and if this plays out like I expect this will be an all-time high in my opinion.

Then again, when has Jeph ever played things out like I expect? :|
"It's not safe there."

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #170 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:41 »

Marten is responsible for his actions as well as his feelings.

Marten knows full well that Padma is leaving.

If he thinks he might not be able to deal with the emotional fallout that comes from this, he is perfectly able to not participate.

Putting the responsibility on Padma for whatever consequences come of this is denying Marten's agency over his decisions.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #171 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:46 »

I just realized ... what is PINTSIZE doing in frame 4 ? ? ? :-o

I guess Marten must have shut the little guy down.
Carpe Diem

Fen

• Emoticontraindication
  • Pregrinating flâneur
    • Blog!
« Reply #172 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:46 »

please stay away from criticising someone for the act of having different views (you're generally doing OK so far, I should say). 

It took THAT to drag me out of lurking and ask- to what extent are "they doing "ok"? "

The part where someone called him a "prick"?

Or where someone else labeled him a "spiteful person"?

Or the part where, just because of a personal opinion, a poster decided to go off on a seven paragraph tirade?

This stuff- this right here is EXACTLY why I stopped posting in the forums in the first place.

See, I am aware that Padma is a character and she does not care that someone is calling her a slut(because she doesn't really exist). However, according to the mindset quite a lot of people are labeled as sluts, mostly girls, and quite a lot of people miss out on stuff that they would want to do. The term slut is the cancer that is plague-ing the minds of many women. I hate to see it used lightly. Anyway. Slut is generally an insult. Prick is less so. I was light because I'm nice.

Perhaps some girls who do enjoy casual sex do not like having people calling them sluts based on the fact that if you have sex on the first date you're a herpes-infested slut? If my personal opinion was among the lines of "all guys who wear earrings are fags" and i would state that proudly then I would be asking for a verbal smacking as well.

Spiteful is an insult now?

Yes, I like writing long posts. Also, whenever I see someone who is being a prick I decide to kindly explain what is wrong with their line of thought. Nicely. Slowly. And all that. It's what can make the world a better place imho.

But you are posting now o.O.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #173 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:49 »

Note that the phrase was qualified ("generally").  A comparison with exchanges in the past will show how much improved the mood of this board is compared to then.  Also note that sometimes corrective action is taken behind the scenes to avoid messing up the discussion further (and normally without censorship, either).

Strongly expressed views, certainly, but kept just within bounds I thought.  The length is irrelevant.

The problem is that people take offence (or get irritated) at different levels.  We aim to keep things good for the majority, but if we are missing too often, we do need to be told...

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #174 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:52 »

I was going to post something on this thread and make an apology about not saying anything about the strip itself, but then I saw the post I quoted below and felt like it pretty much covered my opinion.

OMG you guys were busy!  Two fracking pages!  TWO!

As I've said before, I don't see any good coming from this.  And while I wouldn't go as far as stoutfiles and call Padma a slut, I am concerned that she may be using Marten.  Her choice of underwear makes it clear that she was prepared for this.  Now, I don't see Marten complaining yet, but in a couple of days I expect him to start getting mopey, and quite frankly that is not entirely unexpectable.  She should know this: I mean, the one time before now that she actually listened to what Marten was saying, all he did was whine about his "townie drama".  Honestly, Padma is getting less likable in my opinion, as her obliviousness is getting to be downright criminal.  I've already remarked on how her lack of awareness has the tendency to hurt people around her, and if this plays out like I expect this will be an all-time high in my opinion.

Then again, when has Jeph ever played things out like I expect? :|
So yeah. That. Excellent work. ^___^

Anyway, I just wanted to submit that I would also like those panties to be in the store. Definitely asking the boyfriend to buy them for me if they become a reality. ;)

And now for attempt #4 at sleeping...
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #175 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:59 »

I wonder if the others are still hiding in the kitchen.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #176 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:06 »

Err ... what ?

In the 1950's (pre pill, when was it developed anyway ?) you would have had to marry a woman to have sex with her. At least that was still the official version back then.

Rules like "no sex on the first date" ARE definitely 2010's, not 1950's. Not to mention there are of course still parts of the world (huge parts) where "no sex before marriage" is still in effect.

Calling a woman a "slut" though is definitely outdated now.

Yesyes, I was exaggerating in order to make a point. I did not literally mean the 1950's.
Maybe I should have gone with the "ringring, oh,it´s the 1950's calling, they want their code of morales back" telephone-bit.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #177 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:15 »

Over the years, I've learned that you should try to live your life with as few regrets as possible.  they tend to pile up, especially late at night. 

Having fun sexytimes with someone who's willing, and to whom he's attracted, even though he knows full well she's moving away, possible for good;

-or-

Not doing so? 

I'm afraid I know the answer from experience, but that's a story for another day...

How did it go ... ?

Quote from: Zachary Scott
As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.

Eh, no, that's not the quote I had in mind ... not quite ...

I'm drawing a blank on who or the exact words, but the sentiment was along the lines that, as the speaker grows older, he finds that the mistakes he regrets the most, are those he did not make.

Which in the end, I suppose, is technically a license to screw around and do stupid things.  I'm sure you'll appreciate.  8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #178 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:16 »

Marten is responsible for his actions as well as his feelings.

Marten knows full well that Padma is leaving.

If he thinks he might not be able to deal with the emotional fallout that comes from this, he is perfectly able to not participate.

Putting the responsibility on Padma for whatever consequences come of this is denying Marten's agency over his decisions.

Point, however right now he is drunk, and I saw no evidence of him actively pursuing Padma before then.  Remember, he was trying to bow out of the camping trip, and that was before he even knew she was planning on moving.  And his whiplash comment when she invited him dancing was pretty informative as well imho.  Meanwhile, looking back we see that Padma has been actively pursuing Marten for some time now, and while it does tend to get masked in her... "unique" worldview in retrospect I feel it's pretty unmistakable.

So, yeah, while I agree Marten will have to live with his stupid drunk decisions like everyone else, I do feel considerably more sympathetic towards him, because at least in his case it wasn't premeditated stupidity.
"It's not safe there."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #179 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:31 »

4. I am horribly offended by your use of the term slut solely referring to Padma. Though I understand your personal values place a person who has casual sex at an unpleasant level(see pt. 3) I would kindly remind you that both of them are at "a first date", as you call it. Therefore, both of them are sluts.
I concur. Applying different standards to women's chastity and sexuality from men's and labelling only women as sluts is bedrock misogynism. I won't even attempt to characterise the attitude that approves disease as some sort of appropriate judgement on, or lesson about, people's sexual behaviour, or I'd probably earn another cautionary PM from the mods.

<Deep Breath>

It's a nicely-drawn strip, but... Marten wears mauve underwear? He doesn't seem the type somehow.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #180 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:34 »

It's like having the cat watch you.

You don't want another pussy in the room?

westrim

« Reply #181 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:38 »

It's like having the cat watch you.

You don't want another pussy in the room?
HA ha hahaha... *stabs*

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #182 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:40 »

Marten wears mauve underwear? He doesn't seem the type somehow.

We've seen the mauve boxer shorts before; also some pink ones, and some spotty ones.  

And what's "the type"?  I'll admit to having had a favoured pair of purple silk boxers in the past...

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #183 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:45 »

I want to high five both of them!  :-D Hoping for a booty dance ASAP.

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #184 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:43 »

Yay for Marten meeting someone and moving on.  Boo because she's leaving. 

For those calling her a slut, get over it. They don't have to be planning something long term to enjoy one another's company in bed.  When my wife died (fairly young, 40) I spent a couple of years as a zombie. Work. Come home. Watch violent/depressing movies. Play violent video games. Sleep. Work. Go to firing range on weekend and blow holes in targets. Repeat.  What pulled me out of it was a "casual" relationship with a friend.  For reasons I won't bother going in to we both knew it couldn't last.  We spent 6 months boffing each others brains out, going out and having fun, going to concerts, dinner whatever.  All the while knowing we'd end up breaking it off eventually.  We're still friends, I'm remarried. Life goes on.

Barring some twist where she stays, this can't last. But it may be the thing that gets Marten going again.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #185 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:50 »

For comic #2057...

1. I am so very glad this is not one of those periods in my life/work/schedule where I miss a various number of comics.  I think having to read this on catch-up would have physically floored me, and I have a very stable chair :wink: .

2. Black bra & "DAAAAAANG" panties also leads me to think that Padma did expect to have this kind of action tonight.

3. I also amusedly approve of "DAAAAAANG" panties (or boxers), though I cannot say how well of a marketable item it would be.  I do wonder now, however... is the "DAAAAAANG" on the back or the front...?

4. Deactivated Pintsize was a nice touch, as well as smart.  Pintsize would have ruined the moment, for Marten & Padma AND we readers, I think.

5. I do like how Padma takes the boob-staring in stride.  So much better than the almost now stereotypical "eyes up here!" reactions.  Of course, it helped that Marten stared and complimented her eyes first 8-) .

6. I am glad that both Marten & Padma are enjoying themselves.  And Marten does look "better" even if this is an afterglow moment.  Pointing out Marten's lack of bags-under-eyes helped there too.

7. Conversely, this also make me sad for the coming drama &/or fallout, especially with Elliot.  This makes me sad because I do not think Marten & Elliot can be friends now, even if Elliot "forgives" (for lack of a better word that my weary brain can come up with at the moment) Marten for this.  I think I would have liked to have had an Elliot & Marten friendship, more than Marten being Padma's "boyfling" (to quoth the Raven) before she moves back to California.

8. And I am deliberately avoiding any involvement with previous posts' as to not rouse the Wrath of pwhodges, lest he activate the Genesis Device (aka moderator functions) and set it to detonate.  [Okay, I do not know where the Star Trek bit came from, as I wrote this.  I better not dream of melee-combat with klingons, followed by hot vulcan women when I go to sleep...]
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2021, 21:11 by pendrake »

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #186 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:52 »

'Ever since I was fourteen it's been like "damn girl!"'

Always been indifferent to Padma. This line and her awesome sex hair changed my mind.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #187 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:53 »

Over the years, I've learned that you should try to live your life with as few regrets as possible.  they tend to pile up, especially late at night.  

-or-

Not doing so?  

How did it go ... ?

Both ways, at different times.  

Guess which one I regret?  

Which in the end, I suppose, is technically a license to screw around and do stupid things.  I'm sure you'll appreciate.  8-)

Much appreciated, partly for being so long forgotten!  

Oh, one other note fo those making comments on forethought based on Padma's clothing;

From my wife and daughters I've learned that sometimes, you wear pretty /sexy underwear when you want to feel good about yourself, regardless of whether anyone may or may not see it.  Padma was dresed to go dancin'.  For a dark woman, black underclothing is standard (white showing through a dark red dress really stands out on a dark body).  And if you want to look good dancing, you need to feel  good about how you look.  So yeah, sexy underthings.  Printing is optional. 

And is this Dale's other  other job, designing underwear? 
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2011, 03:02 by Carl-E »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #188 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:21 »

I was going to say something similar to Carl-E. Dancing in a short, tight dress and granny-panties is not comfortable. I only tend to wear my "sexy" undergarments when it's laundry day and I'm running low on the regulars.

LordVaughn

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Now in grape flavor!
« Reply #189 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:08 »

people, am I really the only one who WANNNNNTS that line of underwear in the Topatoco shop FOR THIS VERY CHRISTMAS OMG PLEEZ ? Ok, I'd love it for boys too, but what a heck of a present in any case.

Also: hello Fen, here's your one bazillion cookies. Thank you so much, and do make that poster. I'm amazed that someone with a worldview like that of stoutflies reads this comic at all. Trolling much?
I was just about to post that I wanted a pair of Daaaaaang boxerbriefs. :P They'd definitely be interesting to have as an underwear line.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #190 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:34 »

I have to admit, I should slightly retract my judgement on how well this is going, and I think that provided that Marten and Padma both acknowledge that she is leaving soon, they can just accept a one-night-stand for what it is and it'll all turn out well for them.

That said, Jeph does all kinds of things in QC that I never really expect or want to happen, so my prediction is that Dora will find out somehow and react awkwardly.
... You know, she might even be sore that Marten of all people managed to find someone else before she did. That would actually be kinda hilarious. :P

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #191 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:37 »

Dora had opportunities with both Jim and Tai.

She backed out because she was not emotionally ready for that sort of thing.

Of course that won't keep her from losing her shit when she finds out about Marten & Padma. (and she will find out, Hanners is for shit at keeping secrets)
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #192 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:50 »

I volunteer to model for the men's line of "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG" underwear.
Shouldn't it rather spell DOOOOOOOOONG, then?  :-D

...yes, I am already paying up into the pun jar. Sheesh.

I wonder if the others are still hiding in the kitchen.
Ah, I was wondering that too. I suppose the others might have gone off to Tai or Hanners.

Which in the end, I suppose, is technically a license to screw around and do stupid things.  I'm sure you'll appreciate.  8-)
Alternatively, you could go by this x)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

AngryCallCenterAgent

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.
« Reply #193 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:05 »

For comic #2057...
THIS.

@Padma: You go, girl!
@Marten: Dood, just go with the flow...

Also, I am suddenly hankering for B'Elanna Torres, thanks to you. Heck, I'm suddenly hankering for T'Pol, Jadzia Dax, Kes, Seven of Nine, Deanna Troi, and Nyota Uhura (2009). And not necessarily in that order. But maybe all at once...
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #194 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:13 »

So... it looks like that little red dress doesn't look better crumpled in a heap on his bedroom floor.

It just looks sad and depressed.* Poor dress. :(

*This wasn't meant to be a pun, but it is now.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #195 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:37 »

Of course that won't keep her (=Dora, my edit) from losing her shit when she finds out about Marten & Padma. (and she will find out, Hanners is for shit at keeping secrets)
Given how closely knit group they are, I don't think anyone expects Dora to stay in the dark about this. Also remember how well Dora kept the secret of Faye's dildo shopping. There are no secrets within this group of friends.

I'm a little bit more concerned about what happens, when Elliot finds out. Probably nothing, but a tense moment is quietly looming in the future.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

tjradcliffe

• Plantmonster
    • TJRadcliffe
« Reply #196 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:01 »

Barring some twist where she stays, this can't last

Then again, what does?

And to quote Robert Charles Wilson:  "Just because nothing lasts doesn't mean nothing matters."

I could even argue the opposite:  because nothing lasts it matters that we make the most of the time we have.  I'm old enough to have a few regrets, and I'm aware that there are mistakes I'm glad I didn't make, but life is not linear.  It isn't a matter of "more sex good" or "more sex bad" (and the people invoking herpes are simply hilarious to anyone familiar with the history of the matter
  • ).  Finding the optimum level of error is one of life's challenges, and I'd say Marten is doing a good job of it.  Sex with Padma is the kind of "mistake" he needs right now.
  • Back before AIDS, in the wreckage of the sexual revolution. herpes became the bugaboo of the chattering classes.  It was painful, inconvenient, incurable and embarrassing, and it was EVERYWHERE in the press.  Then in the early 80's AIDS became a big deal, and suddenly everyone stopped talking about herpes because they had what they really wanted:  a sexually transmitted disease that actually killed people, with the added bonus that it was mostly gay people doing the actual dieing but the risk to straight people was great for fear-mongering.  "Heterosexual AIDS" was big news in the '90's, but it never quite happened as predicted.  Now that AIDS is a treatable disease, suddenly herpes is once-again the go-to bogeyman of the sexually repressive, many of whom are too young to remember the last go-round.  I wonder what they'll do when we cure it?  And I wonder--if they are so concerned about it--why they aren't working day and night to cure it, as that would allow everyone to have all that entirely and inherently good sex they're missing out on for fear of herpes (seriously, if the only thing that's wrong with sexual promiscuity is the risk of disease, then sexual promiscuity must be pretty damned good.)
Illustrated Web serial novel! http://www.songsofalbion.com

Soban

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #197 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:26 »

Every generation seems to think that they are the ones to invent sex. Uhura (TOS) is not that bad looking either.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #198 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:37 »

(However, I do expect that the smile on Marten's face and the bounce in his step to be a dead give-away when Dora sees him. I don't expect her to get mad, just notice.) :laugh:
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!-time!
And booty-dance!

Called it.

Also not the first date. Second at least. :P
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #199 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:42 »

Aaaaawww I found this strip to be very cute. I'm glad for Marten, he deserves some good time even though it might be short.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up